Multimedia thread

D

Draugvan

Original poster
This thread is a collection of my writing that has been prompted by non-written media, like photos or music.​

Last edited by a moderator:

"This is my final testament.

I record these words as I watch the Goria Starcruiser speed away from me.

I discovered myself afflicted with a mutation of an ancient virus. If I allowed myself to remain on-board, then the passengers who will soon come out of hyper-sleep would discover my body. I would decay and surely infect the men that found me. In this day of interconnected galactic civilisation, it would cripple humanity. That is a result too devastating to consider.

I set Goria Starcruiser to auto-navigate to the nearest colony. Then I cordoned myself, still living, in the airlock and made preparations for my Departure.

I speak now as I drift through space, sinking ever nearer to a blackhole. My body is weightless. I scan the distant arcs of supernova Delena. It was once a star, now a burr of space ash and plasma originating from an astronomical event at the end of its lifecycle. I sympathise with the supernova, as I follow such a journey.

To my loving wife Marie;

I keep you in my heart in these last moments. I pray for your wellbeing and wish you nothing but happiness into old age. I only hope that you could one day forget me and the life that we shared. For I know that while I will soon decease, you will go on.

I feel my body begin to strain under the forces of gravity. My last breaths are upon me. Nothing will remain of me but this message.

I think of humanity and our collective impact and impressive space travel; and I am at ease. I am only one of a many scientists and I take this mantle on myself for the betterment and safety of all who would follow.

These are my words.

Ben Steward."
Word count - 299 words
Writer satisfaction - 6/10 - I found the dialogue emotionally charged and it matches the length of the attached music. However, I am unsure if readers will read with the intended cadence. I started with a good image of what I want for this piece, but I feel like I forgot half of it. Its a shame.

Last edited by a moderator: