muffin's partner search! semi-lit & medieval or victorian era

muffinphobia

dancing witch
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
muffin's partner search!

Hi, everyone! I'm muffin and I've been RPing on and off for the last 12-ish years. I'm 28F and live in the Central Time Zone, and I can post two to three times a week, maybe more if the muse strikes. ;) I can usually write at least two to three paragraphs per post, depending on what my partner gives me to work with. Below, I've listed what I look for in a partner, genres/pairings that I'm interested in, and writing samples. If anything catches your eye, please DM me!! :) I will say that I am not interested in smut of any kind. I prefer keeping things PG-13 and utilizing time skips. If that doesn't deter you then please read on!

-Be above the age of 20
-Post two to three times a week
-Post at least two paragraphs
-Fine with no smut
-Also fine with chatting OOC for planning purposes
-Fine with doubling/playing multiple characters
-Victorian era romance
-Medieval era adventure/romance with elements of fantasy
-Modern day romance with elements of magic, fantasy, something to make it more interesting than real life
-Horror in any era

For pairings, I am fine with literally any combination of gender as long as you are willing to play multiple characters. I prefer to play at least one male and one female. Really it just depends on where we go with plot. These genre descriptions are vague because I don't have a specific storyline in mind - I think it would be more fun to build something together!
"…and so then I say, 'Nice try, Hugh, but the shipment went out last night!' You have to be faster than that to pin down THE MACHINE!" Jack 'THE MACHINE' Hearst said, pounding the table at the end for emphasis. Nana watched as a sad, unused fork flew onto the floor.

"You don't say. I had no idea the world of paper sales was so high-stakes," she replied, wondering if her smile or tone was anywhere close to genuine. Even if it wasn't, The Machine didn't seem to care. He also hadn't asked her a single question over the course of dinner. They'd only been sitting there for about 30 minutes, but it felt more like 30 hours. Nana made a mental note to delete Tinder the second she got into the cab. Almost every date was like this. Either the guy was too shy to look her in the eyes, or he was so full of himself that he was really only there to hear the sound of his own voice. There was no doubt which category this paper (how could someone be so cocky about selling PAPER!?) salesman fell into.

Finally, though, the universe decided to throw her a bone in the form of her boss calling her. She excused herself and answered it, choosing to ignore the annoyed look on her date's face. It turned out to be a request to go to a punk club downtown and check out a new band. The show started in a little under an hour. Thank. God. She gladly agreed and hung up, trying to contain her smile. Even The Machine would probably be offended if she looked that happy to be leaving.

She walked back to their table and didn't even sit back down. "I'm so sorry, Jack, but I have to go. That was work," she said, doing her best to sound bummed out.

He frowned. "Oh, that's too bad. What is it you do again?" he asked.

"I'm…uh…" She always hesitated to mention her real job on a first date, because that would inevitably lead the guy to asking if she would listen to a demo of his sister's, cousin's, best friend's, etc. She said the first thing that popped into her mind. "…an emergency bird dentist. Anyway. It was nice meeting you. I'll call you. 'Bye." And she quickly walked off, before he could offer to walk her out.

On the street, she hailed a cab and the first thing she did after giving the driver the address was to keep the promise she'd previously made. The flame icon representing the horrid dating app vanished from her phone screen. Never again. She'd rather die a lonely old cat lady than go on another date like that. Her second order of business was to call Lila. This place sounded totally up her alley. She dialed her number and waited patiently as it rang.
Some might call the INS Ophelia's training room a symptom of Elazar's paranoia. He preferred to think of it as being extremely prepared. He stepped into the dimly lit space with nothing but his vibro double-blade strapped across his back, relishing the cool whoosh as the glass door behind him slid shut. He approached the control panel built into the wall and brought it to life with a tap of his fingers. Eleven categories of environments, seventeen categories of mission objectives (with support for neural-net development of thousands of adversary types, of course, ranging from miners with plasma cutters to fully armored Lustrian marines). Each environmental category contained thousands of randomly generated arenas, and each mission objective category contained several hundred variations on themes such as "target recovery" or "data destruction." Prepared for every possible scenario. That is what the crew would be.

Today, however, his objective was simple: destroy. He didn't activate an environment at all, instead opting for a simple "surprise" attack carried out by three Dina Amor combatants. The assault began as soon as he'd activated the protocol - his fingers had barely left the panel before there was a blow to his ribs. He removed the double-blade from his back and twirled away from the first assailant…straight into the second, as he'd suspected. The end of his double-blade clashed with the faceless man's knife as the first combatant made a bold slash at Elazar's face. He ducked and parried the blow, timing it so that it blocked both the first man and the second, as the other had been aiming for his legs. He kicked the second man in the face, sending him crumpling to the floor, when the third flew it from overhead and landed squarely on his shoulders. Immediately, Elazar leaned forward so that the skulls of the first and the third men crashed together. While they were still disoriented, he took advantage of that split second to drive his blade upwards into the third man's heart. He exploded in a dazzling array of purple particles. Grim satisfaction bloomed in Elazar's chest.

He twirled away from the remaining two and sank into his favored stance for engagement, most of his weight balanced on his back foot as he held the vibro-blade perpendicular to his torso. There was a beat as the remaining two assailants seemed to size him up, and then they were both on him, running parallel to each other with their knives held high above their heads. He shifted the blade so that he held it between both hands and twirled it so quickly that neither of the men could find an easy blow to land. Using the momentum he'd built, he whacked the first man across the chest with the blade, winding him, and then twirled to plunge the other end of the blade into the second man's gut. He was rewarded with a second explosion of purple particles. Excellent. He turned back to his final victim and kicked him in the chest as hard and as viciously as he could, knocking him to the ground. But then, as he stood over him, blade poised to kill, the strangest thing happened. He was no longer standing in the training room.

He was somewhere else. Somewhere worse.

And it wasn't a faceless opponent gazing up at him. It was Gabi, propping herself up on her elbows, abject terror written across her face. "Hyde?" she whispered, her lip trembling.

The vibro-blade lowered a millimeter.

But then she was gone, and he was once again in the training room, although it was far brighter now than it had been a few minutes prior. He blinked and looked around, then realized the control panel across the room was blinking with an unread message. It must be urgent for it to have overriden the simulation. Sighing, he returned the vibro-blade to its holster on his back. He glanced over his shoulder at where the fallen faceless figure had been, though the spot was now empty. Pity. He didn't like unfinished business.
Gabi finally reached the end of the corridor, where she was fairly certain the closest box would be. She pulled herself around a corner and her heart dropped into her stomach. There at the box, one of many lined up in a neat row in maintenance storage, floated a stranger - a Lustrian, if the gold tinge to the back of his neck was any indication. Probably one of the salvage yard workers. She swore quietly and drew her blaster. Of course someone had beat her to the ship. This would just make everything messier - especially if this person had noticed the name emblazoned on the hull. What if he was some kind of Empire sympathizer and wouldn't give it up? She and her crew had no chance of sneaking away with it now. She drew closer, thankful for the vacuum of space silencing her movements, and peeked over his shoulder to see what he was doing. A warning flashed on the screen, confirming….no!

She quickly switched her comms to the short range public channel, unable to think of any other way to get his attention, and blurted, "Wait! Please don't!" She unholstered her blaster and aimed for the man's chest as he whirled around, the orange glow from the weapon lighting up both the insignia and the name G. Burnett stitched onto her chest. Shooting someone wasn't high up on her list of priorities, but she'd do it if necessary. She looked at his face for the first time, intending to gauge his reaction to her unexpected appearance.

Only muscle memory saved her from dropping the blaster. Gazing back at her, terror all over his expression, was the Lustrian from her dreams.

Holy. Shit.

There was a buzzing in her skull now - this was impossible. Had to be. And yet…she had seen that face every night since she had decided to check Lustre for The Cotopaxi. She knew it almost as well as her own at this point. There was no mistaking those remarkably unique red eyes for anyone else's. Or the hair. Or the cheekbones. Or the kind of handsome face.

What the hell was going on?

Her brain finally caught up with her ears and she realized he was speaking to her, very quickly. "Wh-who the crash are you and what are you doing on my derelict-" His eyes were on the insignia stitched into her suit now. "Oh. Oh no."

"It's okay! It's okay. I'm not here to hurt you. My name is Gabi. Just move away from that box and I'll explain everything," she said, hoping her voice was less shaky than her mental state. She readjusted her blaster to its former position, as she had unconsciously lowered it upon recognizing him.

Last edited:
If the following joke makes you laugh and/or roll your eyes then you must DM me.

Question: What's brown and sticky?

A stick.