Movies to make you think

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitti

What movie(s) made you take a step back and think about an implication, message, or any other aspect (whether it was the movie's intention or not!)?​

• Bucket of Rainbows
  • Love
Reactions: Dipper and Vars
It's been a long time since I have seen these, but:

K-pax.
How we treat the mentally ill and mental illness in general. But also, could he have been an alien after all?

Life of pi.
Was it all literal or animal allegory? What impact or implications does this have on how we interpret older (specifically religious) texts?

Islandof dr. Moreau.
What makes men, law, god, etc?

Utena movie.
Wtf were they tthinking for that ending and wtf does it even mean?

Astronaut farmer.
How unrealistic can a movie be before I can no longer feel good about its feel good-ness? And am I happy with this feel good movie or depressed reality isn't that nice?

A series of unfortunate events.
All those people REALLY couldn't figure out where the fires came from?? How is everyone but the kids (and arguably the antagonist) so dumb (for fires and other reasons)? Am I just not getting the message of this movie?

The interpreter.
Racism, politics, and neat conlang. General questions and pondering about this, especially race/culture relations. Interesting dynamic due to spoilers aboutmain ccharacter.

The way.
General thoughts about family relations, pilgrimages, hiking/backpacking.

Reign over me.
Ptsd. Coping woth tragedy from all sides of the issue.

The secret life of Waltermitty.
TTraveling /backpacking, coming of age, also how could he afford so many spontaneous trips? Those are not cheap locations in any sense.
But also bigger thoughts about what life in general means for each individual, especially the photographer's thoughts on preserving moments by NOT taking the photo.

the last samurai.
Mix of the previous 4 movies listed.

Hidalgo.
Cultural identity. similar to last samurai.

Watchmen.
Not sure what i am thinking but whtever it is theres a lot to think about. The movie (and book, i have both), are so dense, it's hard to unpack and at this point I may have toccome to terms with the fact that I am too ignorant to really understand thefull ddepth of the message. Especially in the movie, you could write countless different essays from just the opening montage, which I think might just be the best opening movie sequence in history so far.

Sorry for typos, on mobile

Last edited:
K-pax.
How we treat the mentally ill and mental illness in general. But also, could he have been an alien after all?
This always made me scratch my head as well.

Not sure if many people watch Bollywood movies, but this one, although not a favourite, really got me thinking about how lucky I was to live somewhere where women's rights were upheld.

Lajja (2001 film) - Wikipedia

Reactions: Vardoger
House of Sand and Fog.
Who was right, who was wrong? What should happen, what would I have done in the situation?

What Happened To Monday.
Is personal want more important than the lives of others? (Great movie by the way)

Anything made by the late Satoshi Kon. I can't even begin to describe the feeling I get after watching his films. It is confusing and wonderful.

The Eyes of My Mother. Should I feel bad for the killer or not? And they don't do this once but twice in the movie. All I know is they should have called the police to begin with to avoid all of that mess. Then again maybe they were illegal immigrants? I don't really know.

12 Angry Men. Even "solid" evidence can be flawed.

I Am Sam made me cry for the best reasons. It also made me examine my internal judgments of exactly what a mentally challenged person could accomplish when given a chance.

The Giver. So much I could say about this, but the idea of one person carrying the memories of an entire community was horrifying to me. Sharing memories and learning of others by listening is one of my favorite activities. The courage to challenge life as we know it though, that message rang clear.

• Love
Reactions: Vars and Greenie
The implications of Ghost in the Shell 2017's plot made me think, "wow, they really didn't want to cast an Asian lead."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie
Interstellar: When the shit is humanity going to get off its collective ass and do something other than try its hardest to cook itself alive via climate change?

Blade Runner 2049: What constitutes life? Or a soul? What is the difference between a person that is born and another that is manufactured?

Ghost in the Shell: When you add and take away hardware from a living person, when do they stop being the original person and become something new?

Reactions: Verite
Status
Not open for further replies.