Movies That Scared You as a Kid

I was always terrified of Jurassic Park as a child. For some reason I had a terrible phobia of dinosaurs, even though I was always kinda excited about them. Whenever we went to the museum with all the dino stuff, I wouldn't want to walk up the stairs at night by myself, and whenever I read a book involving dinosaurs, I would have nightmares. Fortunately, that's changed.

Cats vs Dogs

I would always hide underneath the dining room table with the cat whenever it came to the part where the soccer ball wrecked the Dad's lab. I was scared that the Dad would hate the kid and the dog for destroying all his hardwork.

The Dark Crystal. I just couldn't even. The skeksis and Fizzgig's appearance and THIS freaking scene.

giphy.gif

First horror movie I saw was Poltergeist. I remember watching it and my mom being like, "...I think you're two young for that movie. It's scary you know." And I was all, "Mom, I'm not a baby. I'm seven." And then of course proceeded to have months of nightmares.

Also, not a movie but I was absolutely terrified of the show Alf. You know, that old sitcom with the alien puppet who ate kittens? Yeah, every time the commercial came on I had to close my eyes until it was over. I think I was mostly afraid of him because he looked just like the monster in my closet. Once a few years ago I went to my friend's grandfather's house because he had to drop something off and while we were waiting I took a look into the living room. Sitting on top of a pile of stuffed animals was an Alf doll, his beady little eyes staring directly at me and my heart actually jumped into my throat. I got over it quickly, but I still think it's hilarious that fucking doll can still do that to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
That movie was NOT PG. I don't care what anyone says. There is disturbing content in that movie.
I got nightmares every time I watched that movie. Haven't seen it in years and I have no plans in seeing it again. Children should not be allowed to watch that movie.

Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island. I was 6 years old when it came out and I remember hiding my face in my dad's chest while we were watching it on the couch. My parents still pick on me for that.

tumblr_mcqzv0tznk1rj1s4eo1_500.gif

Courage the Cowardly Dog and the episode of Ramses. That episode first came on while I was at my grandparent's house. Freaked me the fuck out.

tumblr_mcwgnfYiki1rgwi7co1_400.gif

And then... the Chucky movies. I remember crying hysterically while my younger sister and Dad were watching it while my mom was at work. The movie specifically: The Bride of Chucky. Now those movies just make me roll my eyes with how dumb they are.

No gif for this. Because no.

I never understood the fear about that Ramses episode. It seems very cartoony, and some of those other episodes I consider creepy, but not this.

There were some parts in Nightmare Before Christmas that creeped me out. Especially when Oogie Boogi showed up. He would freak me the heck out.

OogieBoogie.png

Reactions: Red Sinfonia
The Sixth Sense, Donnie Darko, and Beetlejuice.

Alright, so I probably wasn't the most normal of children as I enjoyed watching creepy films (as I'm finding out now as people are listing them. The Dark Crystal was the first movie I ever received for Christmas as a kid and I watched it at least once a week for a year or so. Yea, my parents weren't fond of me during that phase.) but Alice in Wonderland freaked me out as a child. Not even the whole movie. Just the part where she's falling. I could watch all other parts of the movie except that part. If I watched that part the movie would have to be turned or I'd be in tears for the next thirty minutes as the movie progressed. So I learned to always leave the room to do something as that scene was about to come on and I'd wander back in sometime during the numerous doors scene because I actually did enjoy the rest of the movie. That didn't change until I worked up the courage to watch it some years later during high school and I still cannot figure out what freaked me out so much back then.

I never understood the fear about that Ramses episode. It seems very cartoony, and some of those other episodes I consider creepy, but not this.
I think for me it was the animation style to the episode. It was different and my brain immediately went to "It's real."

This list starts and ends with "IT" for me.

I watched IT. And I got a lifelong phobia as a result. Thanks alot TV. Thanks a fucking lot.

How could I forget! The Twilight Zone movie!! It's a Good Life! What is it with my being terrified of movies with creepy kids when I was a kid? o.O I'm sensing a theme here. Funny, I didn't quite pick that up when I was younger.