Movie (or book) quotes that hold meaning to You

L

LogicfromLogic

Original poster
So, I am a stickler for quotes. There are certain ones that mean a lot to me because of the depth within them. It is why I watch Lord of the Rings so often, because I love the analogies and the characters in it. There is one quote that means so much to me that it actually helps me get out of my depression, as absurd as that sounds.

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the ending be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was, when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing. A shadow, even darkness must pass, a new day will come, and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stay with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now, that the folks in those stories had lots of chances of turning back only they didn't, they kept going. Because they were holding onto something."

"What are we holding onto Sam?"

"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it is worth fighting for."
For all that I have gone through, that has really helped me realize that giving up is only the start to dying. That whole movie to me (because be it music, books or other, our world is bent on our own interpretations) is about overcoming darkness, and to me, depression is a darkness that is a battle to fight. But happiness is worth fighting for.

That's the quote that I hold the closest to me. What about you? It can be goofy, deep, whatever.​

"A small sacrifice for the greater good." Arthas Menethil, Warcraft III

""Time is a regular progression of instants. Like sands through an hourglass," said Khadgar.
"Excellent analogy," said Medivh. "One I was going to use myself, and then compare the hourglass with the mechanical clock. You see the difference between the two?"
Khadgar shook his head slowly as Medivh sipped on his wine.
Eventually, the mage spoke, "No, you're not daft, boy. It's a hard concept to wrap your brain around. The clock is a mechanical simulation of time, each beat controlled by a turning of the gears. You can look at a clock and know that everything advances by one tic of the wheel, one slip of the gears. You know what is coming next, because the original clockmaker built it that way."
"All right," said Khadgar. "Time is a clock."
"Ah, but time is also an hourglass," said the older Mage, reaching for one planted on the mantel and flipping it over. Khadgar looked at the timepiece, and tried to remember if it was there before he had brought up the wine, or even before Medivh reached for it.
"The hourglass also measures time, true?" said Medivh. "Yet here you never know which particle of sand will move from the upper half to the lower half at any instant. Were you to number the sands, the order would be slightly different each time. But the end result is always the same—all the sand has moved from the top to the bottom. What order it happens in does not matter." The old man's eyes brightened for a moment. "So?" he asked.
"So". said Khadgar. "You're saying that it may not matter if you set up your tower here because an explosion created this valley and warped the nature of reality around it, or that the explosion occurred because you would eventually come here, and the nature of the universe needed to give you the tools you wanted to stay."
"Close enough," said Medivh."" - The Last Guardian Jeff Grubb

"My people had a saying long ago - "The healer has the bloodiest hands." You cannot treat a wound without knowing how deep it goes. You cannot heal pain by hiding it. You must accept. Accept the blood to make things better. You have taken the first step. That is the hardest part." - Solas, Dragon Age: Inquisition

• Love
Reactions: Artorias
I've got tons of these.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long." -Blade Runner, though originally said by Lao Tzu. It's essentially a mourning remark that those who do the greatest things, often do not live very long.

"The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged." -Picard, Star Trek. He's talking about why rights and freedoms are vital against an admiral on a witch hunt who is ruining people's careers based on their race. (ex: All Romulans are spies, all Klingons are traitors, et cetera.) She melts down in the end, consumed with paranoia. Picard has a ton of good speeches honestly, and while it's a TV show, it's one of the smarter ones to grace the screen.

"One moment of perfect beauty." -Kosh, Babylon 5. Watch it, and have a moment of awe at the sheer wonder of religion and music being able to brighten even the ugliest of situations.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I fly." -If I have to explain why this made me rage in a thousand degrees, you need to watch Firefly & Serenity.

"I will kill you where you stand." -Teal'c, Stargate. It's one of those moments where a badass character that I love straight up threatens a wife beater with death, and the way the line is delivered, makes him go from being a character I normally adore, to one that intimidates me for all the right reasons.

One last one for fun...

"Bang." See you later, space cowboy... :cry:

"I believed in the system, the system never believed in me." Oscar Britton from Shadow Ops; Fortress Frontier

"..All those moments, will be lost. Like tears in the rain..." Blade Runner. This is part of a quote that is more dramatic and a bit longer, but this part stayed with me. I suffer from depression, I contemplated suicide at least once as a teen. But, that qoute is a powerful mantra, it shows how final death is.

"Death cannot stop true love. What it can do is delay it for a while." ~Wesley from Princess Bride

I'm a hopeless romantic so I'm a huge stickler and lover of quotes that talk about or refer to love... <3

"Death cannot stop true love. What it can do is delay it for a while." ~Wesley from Princess Bride

I'm a hopeless romantic so I'm a huge stickler and lover of quotes that talk about or refer to love... <3

In that case....

"Mawage. Mawage is wot brings together today. .."

Impressive clergyman, the Princess Bride

"The two most beautiful words in any language are: I forgive."

"If the sweetness of our lives did not depart, there would be no sweetness at all." - Wind Through the Keyhole

Reactions: Brovo
I've got a bunch, but I'll just stick with some from the Song of Ice and Fire series because I'm a huge nerd. I'll also copy Brovo and add a bit about what each one means to me.

"Let me give you some counsel, bastard. Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." – Tyrion Lannister to Jon Snow. Exactly what it says on the tin. I first read this quote when I was going through a period of struggling with my own flaws (particularly arrogance, cruel humor, and extreme introversion), and this sort of sparked an epiphany for me: I don't need to crush and remove those flaws, I just need to make them work for me rather than against me. It helped a lot.

"Only a fool humbles himself when the world is so full of men eager to do that job for him." - Theon Greyjoy. Y'know that bit above about arrogance and making it work for me? Yeah, that's what this shit is all about. Funnel it into self-positivity instead of shitting on others and it's pretty great.

"Whatever you do, make certain your hands are clean." – Petyr Baelish. This is just pretty solid advice that I like. No judgment, just make sure none of the stupid shit you do comes back to bite you in the ass and you'll be fine.

"Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens." – Tywin Lannister. Unlike "the pen is mightier than the sword," this quote acknowledges that both brute force and intellect are useful at different times. It's something definitely worth remembering, along with the corollary that the real challenge is figuring out which one ought to be used in a given situation.

And then there are a couple from the author himself that I really like.

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which." – George R.R. Martin. Straightforward, no explanation needed.

"Art is not a democracy. People don't get to vote on how it ends." – George R.R. Martin. This quote is something I think of frequently whenever I'm writing things. It helps me free myself of lame constraints like thinking about how other people will feel about whatever I write. Although this is somewhat shaky for roleplaying, since it's a collaborative medium, it still works there: I make my characters do whatever I think they'd do, no matter how inconvenient or annoying it might be for other players and characters, because fuck it, it's my writing, other people don't get a vote.

"Why do we fall, sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up."

Of course, I have some not from books and movies, but I'll save those for some other time.

George Clooney - I think from Ocean's twelve- " I live to fuck. So, live and fuck." XD

Ha ha which is awesome ^^

George Clooney - I think from Ocean's twelve- " I live to fuck. So, live and fuck." XD

Ha ha which is awesome ^^
words you haven't been living by, so the rumor mill goes!

BA ZING!

hahaha

and here comes the slap =)

"Life is suffering. It is hard. The world is cursed. But still you find reasons to keep living." -Princess Mononoke; Studio Ghibli

"Always believe in yourself, do this and no matter where you are, you will have nothing to fear." -The Car Returns; Studio Ghibli (This one is kinda cheesy, but it helped me keep hope on my dream. ^^)

Basically all of the Studio Ghibli quotes are good, IMO.

Also, the quote I have as my signature isn't really positive, but it touches deep feelings of mine: "None of us can help the things life has done to us. They're done before you realize it, and once they're done they make you do other things until at last everything comes between you and what you'd like to be, and you've lost your true self forever." Eugene O'Neill quotes are really deep to me, as well as, "Obsessed by a fairy tale, we spend our lives searching for a magic door and a lost kingdom of peace."

The Belgariad and Malloreon have quite a few that I love, especially from Silk, the resident lovable rogue. A few choice ones:

"It's started, I see." Silk said from not far away.
"What's started?"
"The gushy farewells. Just about everybody's convinced that he's the one who won't see the sun go down tomorrow. I'd imagine that they'll all come up here one by one to say good-bye to you. I thought I'd be first--sort of to get it out of the way--but Ce'Nedra beat me to it."
"You? Nothing could kill you, Silk. You're too lucky."
"I've made my own luck, Garion. It's not that hard to tamper with dice."

-

"Thou art as transparent as glass, Belgarion of Riva." Cyradis said, chiding him gently. "Thou thinkest to trick answers from me to questions which I am forbidden to discuss with thee. Do as it pleaseth thee, King of Riva. Prudence, however, doth suggest that a bit of steel here and there in thine apparel might not be inappropriate when approaching a situation where surprises might await thee."
"I will be guided by thee." Garion grinned. "Thy prudent advice seemeth to me the source of wisdom."
"Makest thou a rather feeble attempt at humor, Belgarion?"
"Would I do that, Holy Seeress?"

-

I can't find this one again in my book, so this is a paraphrase, but I've read the series over a dozen times so it should be fairly accurate:

"You make light of everything, don't you, Silk?"
"I have to, Garion. Sometimes I look at the world and I know that if I don't laugh, I'll cry."

While most of Silk's quotes are characteristically humorous, this is one that espouses a philosophy I follow myself.

There are a few more I'd love to quote but I can't for the life of me find them right now, so later.

Reactions: Peter Feels
"You know when grownups tell you everything's going to be fine and you think they're probably lying to make you feel better?"
"Yes..."
"Everything's going to be fine."

It's from Doctor Who, which is a TV show not a book or movie, but whatever, there's not a lot of meaningful quotes that I can remember aside from ones I've come up with myself (i.e. the one in my signature), but I like this one because of how clever it is.

tumblr_mamfefslVo1rvw6ueo1_500.png

• Love
Reactions: Brovo and Rainjay
"Victory is best served cold with those little cheesy things on sticks." -Some opening quote from a WH40K book.

Surely I have more but can't recall them.