Most anticipated GAMES for 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Man's Sky looks amazing. I can't wait for that.

Couldn't think of anything worthwhile to bring up because I find remaining ignorant about games until near launch is far less taxing. Following games so closely tends to make me resent the final product, especially if there's some massive overhaul or story shift at any point of development.

Basically everything Brovo said on page 1 and then some.

But, a friend recently reminded me Darkest Dungeons is soon to exit early access and be fully released. Which makes me kind of happy. The art style. The atmosphere. The aesthetics. The dialogue! But fuck it's RNG and bullshit mechanics. Nothing hurts more than loving everything except the most vital part; gameplay.

I've been largely turned off by the entire Video Game franchise.

It started with Halo, the game that got me to love Soundtracks, the game that got me to love Sci-Fi, hell, The Fall of Reach was one of the first novels I ever read. Halo 4 was the last game I ever bought, I had read the first two books in the Forerunner Trilogy and was appropriately hyped before completing the game in 5 hours, then leaving the multiplayer after 2 days to get back on Reach. It turned the entire series around, down the wrong path, taking an awesome character like the Didact and turning him into a mustache-twirling villain for no fucking reason.

Hell, I had already been tested on Mass Effect 3, burning through the game with zeal for a week before reaching the ending and just feeling....empty. Thank god they shoe-horned a multiplayer into the game, how else could they introduce micro-transactions into the series?

Year after year, month after month, all I see is disappointment. All I see is greed.

Bungie sounds like they burned up any good will they had, turning Destiny into another cash-grab.

I watched the cutscene movie of Halo 5 and just shook my head. Using a known franchise to farm money.

Then I see the mess that was Battlefront, taking advantage of film hype and love for a series to suck more money out of people.

All the while Nintendo floats further into the zone of no return, becoming disgustingly disconnected from their fans.

And now I see this thread, look up the titles that interest me, and feel sick to my stomach.
-Nintendo is shoving their money-dick in the face of every Metroid fan, the ones who managed to stay loyal after Other M. Can't wait to play fucking space soccer.
-Star-Fox already looks like it's going to be emptier than Assault was, with a "we're totally not just rebooting StarFox 64 guys! We promise," attitude.
-Micro-transactions and abusive DLCs everywhere.
-Misuse of beloved and recognizable franchises.
-Complete lack of story-driven, content-over-looks, games.

You won Casual Gamers.

You won.

I've been largely turned off by the entire Video Game franchise.

It started with Halo, the game that got me to love Soundtracks, the game that got me to love Sci-Fi, hell, The Fall of Reach was one of the first novels I ever read. Halo 4 was the last game I ever bought, I had read the first two books in the Forerunner Trilogy and was appropriately hyped before completing the game in 5 hours, then leaving the multiplayer after 2 days to get back on Reach. It turned the entire series around, down the wrong path, taking an awesome character like the Didact and turning him into a mustache-twirling villain for no fucking reason.

Hell, I had already been tested on Mass Effect 3, burning through the game with zeal for a week before reaching the ending and just feeling....empty. Thank god they shoe-horned a multiplayer into the game, how else could they introduce micro-transactions into the series?

Year after year, month after month, all I see is disappointment. All I see is greed.

Bungie sounds like they burned up any good will they had, turning Destiny into another cash-grab.

I watched the cutscene movie of Halo 5 and just shook my head. Using a known franchise to farm money.

Then I see the mess that was Battlefront, taking advantage of film hype and love for a series to suck more money out of people.

All the while Nintendo floats further into the zone of no return, becoming disgustingly disconnected from their fans.

And now I see this thread, look up the titles that interest me, and feel sick to my stomach.
-Nintendo is shoving their money-dick in the face of every Metroid fan, the ones who managed to stay loyal after Other M. Can't wait to play fucking space soccer.
-Star-Fox already looks like it's going to be emptier than Assault was, with a "we're totally not just rebooting StarFox 64 guys! We promise," attitude.
-Micro-transactions and abusive DLCs everywhere.
-Misuse of beloved and recognizable franchises.
-Complete lack of story-driven, content-over-looks, games.

You won Casual Gamers.

You won.
The indie market is where you wanna turn then, really. There is some amazing shit being made by people.

The indie market is where you wanna turn then, really. There is some amazing shit being made by people.
Good advice.

Except finding a good indie game is like looking for diamonds in a septic tank. It's gross and mostly full of shit.

In there though are some real gems made by people with a talent and love for what they put out. Other's just want to get famous and be pricks about it (See: Phil Fish among many others).

• Love
Reactions: Brovo
I think most gamers would be hard pressed not to agree with the Triple A developers getting worse with time.
It's part of the reason the Indie Market exploded, not just because the Internet makes it easier but because they offer a shot at creativity that our original source is losing.

That being said though, the Indie Market on the scale it is is still young. So there's still improvements to be made, mainly being abuse of kick starter and making them more committed to finishing their games. Or simply having an actual release date rather than forever staying in Beta to avoid critique.

Though to be fair I'll be listing some good Indie Titles I've ran into, and also some of the Triple A studios I still have hope for.

Indie: Pulsar Lost Colony, Undertale, Minecraft (Yes this counts as indie for when it was released), To The Moon
Triple A: Firaxis, Paradox, Obsidian, Telltale, Bethesda*, Bioware**

*Seriously needs to make a new engine though
**Concerned with EA's greed pushing. But for the most part they seem to be learning enough to restrict themselves to micro-transaction Multiplayer leaving the actual main game alone. Which I'd much prefer to them sabotaging the Singleplayer.

Bioware**
lol Not for a long time. The Mass Effect one shows it beautifully: ME 1? Basically a complete game, had a couple small DLC packs. ME 2 onwards? Entire sections of game, thousands of lines of dialogue cut out to be sold post-release. Story made no sense, 90% of it was daddy issue quests and grinding. DA2 was so lazy in production it reused what few dungeons it had several times over, used low resolution textures that looked worse than Origins, and was also drowning in DLC packs, which also cut entire companions and thousands of lines of dialogue away as a result. It also contained a story that made no sense. Inquisition is basically a singleplayer MMO with no life which you can win by button mashing and also contains a story which makes no coherent sense (So the only way to get people to pay attention to literal green hell portals from hell that spew hellish shit from everywhere is to start an inquisition?? The only way you can get anything done is to throw the one guy who can close these things into the face of danger on a constant basis with no tactical sense whatsoever???), which also cut thousands of lines of dialogue and hours of gameplay to sell piece meal to you.

The original creators of Bioware are all gone. The only people who are left are the ones who were willing to sell their souls. EA's turned Bioware into the same kind of grotesque husk that Maxis was: It will keep producing content with Michael Bay levels of writing to be consumed until it fails to hit a target or two due to abhorrent business practices, and then like Maxis before it, EA will commissar it right in the head. Might take a few more years, but, yeah, no, the soul of the company left it a while ago, and it's dying a slow and painful death. :ferret:

Reactions: Windsong
-pokes at the company that made Witcher 3- Yeah...that is like the only game that came out in 2015 that was actually complete, and the dlc was free. The expansions that are comingg out are only like $10? And give several more hours to play...

So yeah... >.>

-pokes at the company that made Witcher 3- Yeah...that is like the only game that came out in 2015 that was actually complete, and the dlc was free. The expansions that are comingg out are only like $10? And give several more hours to play...

So yeah... >.>
Dying Light comes to mind.

The following expansion is supposed to be pretty massive as well. Though probably 20 bucks.

The Division.

Tom Clancy has been making the best Tactical Shooters in the world for years. Siege was class. This one looks next level.

Tom Clancy
Tom Clancy is actually dead. They just stick his name on things which hold a loosely sort of but not really tangential link to his books, because it sells. :ferret:

Tom Clancy is actually dead. They just stick his name on things which hold a loosely sort of but not really tangential link to his books, because it sells. :ferret:
Yes. He is dead. It was quite said. In reference to Video games, the name Tom Clancy is used to describe the Franchises under that name. (Example: Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, etc)

Actually, it isn't the name that makes it sell, it's the consistent quality of the games with his name on them, that makes them sell.

The Division.

Tom Clancy has been making the best Tactical Shooters in the world for years. Siege was class. This one looks next level.
I almost bought this because I really enjoyed Destiny despite my lack of people to play it with. Read up on it and everything they cut back from what was promised and watched a couple streams of the beta while it was going on.

Really miss when Tom Clancy was the go-to name for realistic and tactical shooters. Siege felt like a modern bad company without the quirk and charm.

It's all Call of Duty's fault.

And has anyone said Xcom 2 yet? It's out Tuesday and I'm on the fence about it. On one hand: snake boobs. On the other... It's a modern xcom.

Expansions =/= Micro Transactions
Not touching the rest of this cause it's going to lead into a debate founded purely on subjectivity.
+Looking further blow you seem to trying to start debates with anyone with different tastes...
Seriously, cut it out. I don't want to see this thread get locked from it.
And has anyone said Xcom 2 yet?
Dark Souls 3, XCOM 2.

That's all on my list for now.
3rd Post on the thread. :P

I almost bought this because I really enjoyed Destiny despite my lack of people to play it with. Read up on it and everything they cut back from what was promised and watched a couple streams of the beta while it was going on.

Really miss when Tom Clancy was the go-to name for realistic and tactical shooters. Siege felt like a modern bad company without the quirk and charm.

It's all Call of Duty's fault.

And has anyone said Xcom 2 yet? It's out Tuesday and I'm on the fence about it. On one hand: snake boobs. On the other... It's a modern xcom.

I was disappointed they took out the cover system, no single player, and no real load-out customization at first. But, as I began to play the game, I realized, it was a different kind of Tactical shooter. I liked it didn't have the cover system. With the leaning options, it made it feel like what it really should be in real life. Slow mythical, team work, to clear a building or secure a hostage.

I then realized that the classes with limited options was actually realistic. Working with your squad to diversify your classes. It made sense. and you could still customize your weapons.

Siege was a different type of Rainbow Six. It was meant to be played on Multiplayer with a squad of real people. That is what it was designed for. Which is why I am not disappointed about those things. It was meant to be different.

Though, The Division, is bringing all of those back, and in an open world type RPG format. All the great things about Rainbow Six, in a Fallout typeish world. It is the thing of dreams.

They fixed the sight system so when you move a unit to a tile, a little eye icon appears that tells you if they have sight on a target. No more "wtf how can they not see anything there?" Issue. Also, unlike the first--which had an amazing mod called Long War that made it a better, more fleshed out game--this one is openly supporting modding from day 1. Complete with outright getting the Long War Studios staff to work in conjunction with Firaxis to create mods on launch for it. So if you don't like how something works, the game should be moddable enough to fix it the way you want it.

There's also been plentiful open coverage about how the game works.

If you dislike the two action system, that's still in the game. If you dislike arbitrary decisions, they've been toned down, but the "dark event" still forces it for you.

If you enjoyed the first one, I'd imagine you'll probably enjoy the second, but at the price point it's at... I dunno. If you're a big time fan, grab it. If not, wait for a sale. Wait for the summer sale.

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.