Monsters in the Closet

He had every intention to inform the other of the truth -that there had been no bear- but he decided that it was best to break the truth to him when he wasn't in the state he was in. When they were away from the hospital, when they were away from anyone else, then was the best time to tell him. Until then, he softly smiled and quickly changed the topic, even if it meant drawing attention to the waitress' dress he had been offered to wear.

"I like it; it's comfortable," he began with a quiet glance down at his attire, not necessarily understanding why Josef had regarded him in shock. "...Cindy said it was better than walking around naked and cold."

"I don't know where they took my car," he admitted after a moment, more dread setting in. "I don't know if they know who I am. I haven't told them anything b-but, I dunno. If they find out who I am, I'll be arrested, River. I can't have that, understood?" He slurred, though was at least becoming a bit more cohesive as the painkillers were wearing off. River had torn into his chest pretty deeply not to mention his arm so it was no surprise that the doctors had pumped him with painkillers as soon as possible.

"If they find me, you won't have anyone. I won't have anyone." He murmured and, after a long pause, decided to turn up the volume on the television to at least temporarily stop thinking about the consequences that would happen. He wanted to sleep and just pretend nothing happened but he knew that was impossible to do. 'You hungry or anything?"

"I had something at the diner; Cindy gave me food. I... Why don't we just go now then? We can... get a late-night bus to the motel a-and pick up our things, see if your car is there-- I... I'm sure you'll be in a better position to drive then," he smiled desperately, fiddling with his hands as a way of comforting himself. It was difficult to stay positive when everything seemed to be going downhill fast, especially when he had yet to properly come to terms with the loss of his parents, but he had to try and remain upbeat - one of them needed to or the gravity of the situation would just drag them both down.

"We'll get out of here, promise. I... I'm sure we can get back on the road tonight, head somewhere hot like you promised. Nobody's getting arrested - I won't let them do that to you," he nodded, reaching for the other's good hand. "And-- And you don't hate me, do you? You'll always stick with me, right?"

"I can't just up and leave, River," he replied wearily, his eyes landing on the other with a frown. "I understand that you don't realize that, you've barely been out of that basement. I'm in a bad shape, I don't know if I can drive yet. Maybe... I don't know, a week? I know we don't have that time," he murmured, pinching his nose with his free hand.

"If you can find my car, I'll be able to pay the bill to leave. Like I said, I haven't told them anything nor do they have my ID - that's hidden with the money," he whispered, his eyes locking on the doorway warily.

Reactions: potassiumboron
"...Why can't Cindy just drive us? She drove me here and it took ages and-- and she gave me food free of charge and gave me this dress and... and she'd definitely help us if I asked her. I think she likes me enough to do me a favour-- or you could pay her. We can get her to drive and give her lots of money as a thanks," he suggested, his own eyes cautiously drifting to the policemen outside the door. He didn't really understand that Josef couldn't just up and leave, not understanding the severity of his injuries, but laying around in the bed was hardly the answer if they wanted to evade attention.

"I can call her. She can get your car and meet us here and we can go, it's simple. She'll do it, I know she will. Maybe she really likes me, like-- like my parents liked each other. She said I was cute-- maybe? I think I made that up but-- but I'm sure I can charm her into helping us out, I can be charming."

"River, no." He sternly replied, sighing deeply. "I understand that you're naive, it's... cute, but I need you to understand that I can't do that." He firmly reminded, only to groan when the tension in his chest tightened. Just the concept of leaving gave him anxiety in that moment, especially since the pain medication was wearing off fast. Looking out the window, he watched as the snow continued to fall with a sinking feeling.

"Even if we did get Cindy, then what? Where would we go? We could go to Florida, yeah, b-but... I need something to help with the pain. Paying the bill won't be an issue unless we can't get my car. If that's the case, then we're fucked over. I have 50 dollars in my wallet, that isn't enough to pay for this without insurance."

River knew that he was naive; it was impossible not to realise that at this point after Josef's constant mentioning of it. It didn't usually upset him, given he had had no control of his life for several years, but it did hurt when he had his suggestions turned down by the other in a manner that suggested his exasperation. Josef hardly needed any more stress and his sharp refusal to accept River's naive suggestions didn't make the other angry; it just made him feel awful for being stupid enough to believe his plan might work.

"...I'll go get coffee or tea or something," he mumbled as he awkwardly pushed himself up to his feet, adjusting the lightweight knitted cardigan with a faint smile at how comfortable it was; it was the only real thing that made him smile at the moment, anyway. "Do you want something to eat? I could go to the cafe and get a sandwich?"

"A muffin would be nice, with a hot cup of tea," he admitted before pointing to his coat, that of which was set behind the chair. "There's cash in there, buy whatever you want. You deserve it, yeah? You've... been through a lot," he whispered, his lips pursing.

"You look tired, you should sleep when you get back. We'll be fine, River, everything will be okay. Give me a few days and we can be on the road again. We'll head to Florida, take in the beach and all that. I just - I need to relax for a little while, I almost died."

"You almost died because of me, I've told you that. I told you that I was the one that hurt you and my parents and-- and I didn't mean to. I can't g-go to Florida and have this happen again because you're ignorant to... to what I am, you know? It's not fair on you or me if... if you just abandon me the next time it happens, so-- so I'm being brave and telling you that it was my f-fault and... and that I was the one that... hurt you-- I didn't mean to, o-obviously!" He laughed with a nervous laugh, pocketing the handful of notes. Even if the other was determined to cut all ties with him after the admission, he wasn't going to rush out without getting himself some snacks at the cafe first - as well as enough money for a cab ride if he needed to leave quickly.

"...You don't have to believe me but you can't blame me if it happens again and you get hurt because I warned you. I... can stop it from happening, I just have to knock myself out, which... hurts, but... this is the alternative, having you get hurt, so I-- I can knock myself out if it's close to happening again, promise! Don't-- uh, don't abandon me, okay? You're all I have now m-my... parents are gone, s-so..."

"... I won't abandon you," he reassured quietly, his lips pursed. "You're all I have, too. Maybe we can find a new, less violent way to keep you from whatever the hell you... you turn into. You suggested drugs but I don't think we should do that, to be honest. I can't get back involved with that," he urged with an apologetic smile.

"Do you know what triggers you? Is it just random? If we figure it out, we could learn healthy ways to stop it. In the meantime, let's get something to eat. I'm not too hungry but I certainly don't want you to starve, you're already so skinny."

"You believe me? And you aren't scared? F-Finally! My parents are-- were terrified, that's why they... did what they did. But it's fine, I can sort it out, we'll think of something. It just...happens. I wasn't angry or sad the first time it happened around you, when I ran off into the woods; I was happy and it just sprung on me and... and the second time, the most recent, I was scared. It's random, I think. I don't... know. Drugs work but they make me feel horrible," he smiled weakly as he pulled out the money, entertaining himself by counting it out. Six dollars to him was a ridiculously large amount of money to have, and counting it out at least gave him something to smile about.

"...Right, yeah. Food. I'll fetch us back something nice. And some cake for you, too. As an apology for... me hurting you. I-It wasn't me, Josef, not... really. I didn't know what I was doing, I'd never hurt you," he frowned, fiercely wiping tears away before they had a chance to run down his cheeks. "I'm-- going to cause trouble for you, right? But I want to stick with you, so we'll figure it out."