Mods with a Price Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grumpy_Cat-Good.jpg

I'm happy that Valve, Bethesda, et al. were able to see just how poorly thought out their plan was. Here's to hoping Valve takes a cold, hard look at other less-than ideal sections of Steam and gets to work fixing them.

Largely probably due to public outcry, but nonetheless? This pretty much addresses my biggest concerns. +1.

I just hope the 75% thing gets resolved too, though.
Probably, but at least they're listening unlike some companies out there *Looks at EA*.

The 25% to modders thing though is up Bethesda however, not Valve.
Both companies seem to have made a number of oversights from this.

Probably, but at least they're listening unlike some companies out there *Looks at EA*.

The 25% to modders thing though is up Bethesda however, not Valve.
Both companies seem to have made a number of oversights from this.

Valve wasn't innocent of the hefty profit cut thing, Bethesda just went farther with it. Valve was to take a 25% cut while Bethesda wanted 50% of the money. 50% isn't an unreasonable cut to take from people making money entirely dependent on the use of your product, but in conjunction with Valve's cut it got stupid.

Valve wasn't innocent of the hefty profit cut thing, Bethesda just went farther with it. Valve was to take a 25% cut while Bethesda wanted 50% of the money. 50% isn't an unreasonable cut to take from people making money entirely dependent on the use of your product, but in conjunction with Valve's cut it got stupid.
Where did you learn this?

Cause I'll admit my only official source for this was Bethesda's explanation which states that Valves 30% was the typical for distribution shares.

Where did you learn this?

Cause I'll admit my only official source for this was Bethesda's explanation which states that Valves 30% was the typical for distribution shares.

Gaben's Reddit Q&A. He said Valve was taking its usual 25% cut, so logically the rest had to be going to Bethesda. If that was wrong and Valve was taking a 30% cut then that makes them a little less blameless on the modder share issue.

Trust in the Gaben, Jorick. Don't believe Bethesda and their lies.

Gaben is love.

Gaben is life.

Gaben's Reddit Q&A. He said Valve was taking its usual 25% cut, so logically the rest had to be going to Bethesda. If that was wrong and Valve was taking a 30% cut then that makes them a little less blameless on the modder share issue.
I just went back on the reddit page and CTRL+F'd the words "25%" "Share" and "Cut".
The only thing of relevance I could find was the following:
Reddit user said:
Is 25% profit a normal amount for content creators in comparable situations? I see a lot of people complaining about the cut Valve and Bethesda receive.
Gaben said:
Each game sets its own share.
And
Reddit user said:
Isn't the 75% cut seen as a bit high?
Also, there were reports of discussions of mods being deleted or not being accessible, are negative discussions being censored?
Gaben said:
The pay-outs are set by the owner of the game that is being modded.
As I said elsewhere, if we are censoring, it's dumb, ineffective, and will stop.
Only 25% I see being mentioned is the modders share, not Valves.

Hm, guess I misread something then. Either way, the point remains that solely blaming Bethesda for the plan that had modders only getting 25% is silly. If you think Valve's people working on the arrangement weren't in full support of taking a 30% cut then you're ridiculous. :P

Hm, guess I misread something then. Either way, the point remains that solely blaming Bethesda for the plan that had modders only getting 25% is silly. If you think Valve's people working on the arrangement weren't in full support of taking a 30% cut then you're ridiculous. :P
Well I can't expect Valve to do it for free, they're fronting a lot of hosting costs.

But at the same time I have no idea as to the specific costs of what they do, and what actual percentage would be needed to cover said costs.
So in that sense I'd have to remain neutral without a better understanding.

That being said though, they kind have already been doing said hosting before paid mods was a thing and clearly they've been doing fine.
So yea, I'd agree under that perspective Valve isn't blameless either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.