Mods with a Price Tag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was expecting an angry anti-Admin rant.

*stuffs a five down Grumpy's bra*

• Love
Reactions: Wolk and Windsong
Why do you think I posted here Grumpy?

Paying for mods? Fuck. That. Shit. You know what makes mods great? They're free DLC, that avoids copyright. I in no way want to have to pay for mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LunaValentine
I thought errybody uses the Nexus anyway?

Seriously, though, not to play Devil's Advocate but I can see a few situations where this might not be the worst idea. The mods being charged for would need to be something pretty substantial, though. I'm thinking the Nehrim guys or the folks behind Falskaar, or maybe Fallout's Project Brazil. A real, proper expansion of the game that adds new content and gameplay is something I'd be willing to dole out some dosh for, cos I'd like to think it would encourage more people to try ambitious projects.

We're not talking about a "lol i maed a ak47 texture gief $$$" affair. More along the lines of something like Millennia's epic weapons overhaul mod.
Fair point.

But there a lot of people who will never look at the mod to begin with if they pay up front.
You're right there losing potential donations, and advertising (telling their friends).

Plus people tend to be more generous with money when it's a donation compared to it being a forced payment.
Alright, I'll get Mod Manager.
I'd personally suggest Mod Organizer.
It has a slightly steeper learning curve than Nexus, but it gives you more features.
Plus it's compatible with the Nexus site so you can still use the "Download with manager" button.

Gopher does a great tutorial series for it.

The day I pay for mods is the day I plan on downing a bottle of rat poison and don't need money anymore. I'm glad I use Nexus, but if Nexus goes that way, I'm going to stop downloading mods. I don't need to be nickled and dimed for everything.

And Gopher just made a video covering this.

He brings up some decent points I forgot to consider.
And I do agree, that if they set it so one of the price options is free then it becomes far less of an issue.

However, I still don't expect this to go far regardless mainly because it's Steam workshop and not something like Nexus which actually gives you tools and means to fix conflicts, alter load orders etc.

Essentially what everybody else has been saying.

Paying for mods has to be the single most absurd idea I've ever heard. Donating is one thing, but having to pay for a mod, even if it's on a Falskaar scale, is ridiculous. They might as well just kill the modding community straight up.

A bit dramatic, maybe. But eh.

As long as the Nexus stays where it is, I'm not too worried. But there's the issue where many of us long time players are only playing the game for mods. When you've exhausted the content of the game and the released DLC's, mods is just about the only tool left to spice up gameplay. Not to mention bug fixes *coughcoughThievesGuildendquestlinecough* and fixing other issues. When you've played vanilla four times, you either lose interest or mod the shit out of it.

Mods also make up for where the vanilla game is lacking.

Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I've got over 120 mods currently active, all of which I got from the Nexus, and the thought of having to pay for even half of them is physically painful. I'm poor as shit, so I couldn't pay anyway.

Not sure if this has been said before, but I was reading some interesting points elsewhere on the 'Net and thus follows:

Not sure if this has happened so far, but the potential to abuse this new system is... Rather remarkable, actually.

First, Criminal89 finds a mod that's not been uploaded. Second, he uploads the mod himself and sells it at a reasonable price. Third, he issues a copyright infringement to the original mod owner, Owner13, through Steam. Finally, Owner 13 is screwed because as far as Steam is concerned, Criminal89 is the owner of the content because he uploaded a) first and b) properly through Steam. While the original owner may have evidence of it being uploaded first elsewhere on the internet, well...

Money.

If they take down the mod, and Owner13 refuses to upload himself, they miss out on the 75% of the $1.99 armour mod that was uploaded by Criminal89.

It does suck if that some beloved mods are going there.
Those later versions will barely see any use both due to forced payment, and the fact it's workshop.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I'm going to re-explain my opinion in calmer terms:

I'm not against modders being paid on principle, as modding is a service. However, one of the things I like about mods is that they expand a game free of charge. They're really not something I want to be nickel and dimed over.

The other thing I like about mods is that they're "above copyright" so to speak. My favorite mod for any game ever adds Pokemon to Fallout New Vegas. To be fair, such a mod couldn't be monetized, but if there's a crackdown on this sort of thing, I wouldn't like that.

Meanwhile, on opposite corners of video gaming's alignment chart, CD Projekt and EA are both cackling with glee at Valve's latest preposterously stupid idea.

Personally, I'm not against the idea of paying for mods on principle, but for fuck's sake: We're already having mods taken off the workshop 'cause they use other people's work without permission and it hasn't even been a day.

This simply isn't going to work.

So basically, my scenario I posted earlier? LOL. Oh, man...

And for the lazy:

stolenmod-620x.jpg

stolenmod2-620x.jpg

Notice how Chesko (the user that submitted the purchasable mod) has said that Valve told him it was okay to use other people's work without permission. Basically, so long as Valve gets their $$$, they don't give a flying fuck.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
So basically, my scenario I posted earlier? LOL. Oh, man...

And for the lazy:

stolenmod-620x.jpg

stolenmod2-620x.jpg
I'll say there's a difference from taking it down willingly and taking it down because Valve is forcing it.

I'll say there's a difference from taking it down willingly and taking it down because Valve is forcing it.

Okay, kind-of my scenario.

It's nice though that the major modders are working well together (as the above real-life example points out). I can see how this new system would be advantageous for everyone involved, but I think it's just a terrible system as-is. I wonder how long this was thought out, and who was invited to speak about it and add input. It doesn't seem like many were, outside of the boardroom of execs and a few choice Valve employees.

That's another thing! Valve Corporation has a rather monopolistic hold on this. 75% is simply a ridiculous amount to charge for something that probably costs them mere pennies. It should probably be the other way around, 25% goes to Valve, 75% goes to the creator.

That's another thing! Valve Corporation has a rather monopolistic hold on this. 75% is simply a ridiculous amount to charge for something that probably costs them mere pennies. It should probably be the other way around, 25% goes to Valve, 75% goes to the creator.
That 75% is split between Bethsoft and Valve. It's not purely valves money.

Status
Not open for further replies.