Modern Fantasy: Magical Crime Fighting Team (Name Pending)

C

Crono

Original poster
You stand behind the limit of the retracting curtain, people with green runes in front of their mouths send their words to each other backstage. The deafening sound of clapping hits you like a wave and you couldn't hear the words directed at you by the tall, powerfully-built man who once sat with you here. He now stands and makes his way onto the stage, to which the noise increases, a feat you previously thought impossible. That man is the Head of Defense for Grand Doma, Valk Moriden, you met with him a few times before now. He's a confident, hardy fellow impassioned and righteous in his work, he's also going to introduce you to the millions you'll be assigned to save. He has a sunny grin on, he lifts his arms then softly lowers them to quiet the crowd. The lighting floats to follow him as he slowly paces, addressing the masses.

"Gents, ladies. The hell would we be without magic?" Another applause breaks out, but is more quickly silenced. "Without transmuting stations clean our water, we'd be at the mercy of water-born disease and pollution. Without honest druids performing natural magic to break down our waste and return it to the earth, we'd be drowning in trash. Portals connect cites in a instant that would take months to travel to without. Physical empowerment spells allow many jobs not to be taken by expensive machines. Healing and psychic magic have aided the fight against illness and injury in leaps and bounds..." He pauses briefly, his warmth is switched instantly to chilling seriousness.

"Unfortunately magic has caused one large problem in our fair city. Since the genes for the 'spark' of magic are so concentrated here, the unlawful have access to this gift as well. Terrible people who fight against our city, your safety, even order itself are given powerful weapons at birth. It's a never ending battle to keep these people at bay and your police work tirelessly every day for your safety, however, there are some people even the police can't handle. Gifted magicians that have been performing such acts as grand theft and mass murder with no way for us to stop them. Well today, my good people, we take the step forward to end this menace. I present to you the solution to your fear, a specialized task force entirely made up of gifted, specifically tasked with the stopping of such criminals!" He swings an arm to you, the crowd goes wild. And just like that these people, full of hope, have placed their livelihood in your hands.

Walk out and accept it.

So, yeah. This RP takes place in a fantasy realm where magic made it to modern times (most fantasy races are available). As our pal Valk just explained, it's been throughly integrated into society and aids it tremendously, everything we have today would be found here although the construction or function my differ slightly. The City of Grand Doma has been around for ages and has became the magical capital of the world. Magical ability is genetic and in Doma it's extremely rare to not be born without what is known as 'the spark of magic'. Ever so often someone is born 'gifted' with empowered magic, this takes many forms, however there has been a increased number of such people turning to crime. Thus to stop this menace several gifted from all walks of life have been entered into a squadron. The team be given different tasks, each focused on taking down a particular criminal, most often ending with a final confrontation. Once I have four willing participants I'll start the OOC, but I'm welcome to more. One character per person.

People born with the spark have one magical font they can access:

Fire: You can produce and control heat, flame, and explosions. The higher the temperature the stronger your magic, but colder climates will weaken you.

Water: You can produce and control water. Though controlling existing sources is found to be more powerful then conjured. (Ex: a wave you launched forward on dry land will be smaller then the one you can pull over from a lake)

Ice: You can produce and control cold and frost. The lower the temperature the stronger your magic, but hot climates will weaken you.

Wind: You can control air. A envied font for versatility and, of course, flight.

Earth: You can control earth. The more refined the material the harder it is to shape, (Ex dirt is easier then metal.) but the tremendous strength of this font is feared.

Enchantment: By placing runes on people or objects you apply certain effects to them, from strength to heaviness to a aura of lightning. The more complicated and/or powerful the rune the longer it takes to apply. Runes must be applied with touch and can also be set with triggers for activation.

Psychic: You can read and to some level control the thoughts of others. Full on mind control is very difficult, less grandiose effects are much less strain such as extreme migraines, confusion, so on and so forth.

Illusion: You can produce illusions. You create these for not only sight but the other senses as well. Like runes more complex and longer lasting illusions take more effort and time to cast.

Space: You can produce portals. The problem with this font is full on holes through space from one place to another that don't instantly close take days to cast, but you can warp yourself, others, and objects varying distances in a second. So that's cool.

Transmutation: You can turn something into something else. The more like each other the two things are, the less effort and time is used to change them. However the even the slightest use of this font is exhaustive in its own right.

You've been born with not a spark but a flare of magic, choose one of these bad boys:

Double Fonted: Right on the tin, you were born with two fonts of magic.

Font of Life: You can control the natural ability for the body to heal but also for it to die. While commonly known as Life and Death magic, the two come from the same font. You can even animate corpses with unlife, which is illegal in Doma for obvious reasons.

Font of Arcana: You posses the rare ability to control Arcana. Magic begins in a inactive state called mana floating in the air, then when casting begins it forms into a active energy called arcana before changing to its respective effect. In addition to the weaponization of pure energy you can also try to control the spells of others to a lesser degree. You cannot dispel magic though, there is no existing way of doing that.

Summoner: You can call forth and enforce you will upon magical beings. The weaker the creature the less strain it is to keep it around. Strong monsters should only be summoned for a short while, too long and your heart will give in.

Nature Font: Your link with the Earth Font goes deeper then most. You can also control and conjure plant life as well as being able to speak with animals.

Tempest Font: Your link with the Air Font goes deeper then most. You can also conjure and control lightning.

Rules:
1. Adhere to standard Iwaku rules in and out of character. 

2. I'm always open questions, suggestions, concerns, comments, and such. Don't hesitate to PM this fella.

3. Have your IC drama, but don't bring that stuff into the OOC. And don't god mod, your special, not a trained badass.

4. Listen, stuff happens. But if you don't think you'll be able to stick around I'm gonna respectfully ask you to not join. The sudden disappearance of a char can be a real hinderance to a RP.

5. Romance is fine, smut goes to PMs you filthy heathens. (jk) Just make sure you got the consent of your fellow player.

6. Here's how it goes. I'll post. Four days will pass. If you haven't posted by that point I'll nudge you. A day will pass. I'll move on without you if you haven't posted. If this happens twice in a row you'll be sent away with a Viking funeral.

7. I expect at minimum 2 paragraph posts. However I avidly encourage more. Trust me, there's something you can do. My posts will be in response to all your actions, so even just looking around will give you something

8. Also this is supposed to be fun. Have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm game for some light-hearted magical crime fighting. Already have an idea in mind for the potential character possibly involving Teleportation and Font of Arcana. I imagine spells could be slung through portals as well as anything else if timed properly?

I'm game for some light-hearted magical crime fighting. Already have an idea in mind for the potential character possibly involving Teleportation and Font of Arcana. I imagine spells could be slung through portals as well as anything else if timed properly?
Spells certainly can. Welcome aboard!

• Useful
Reactions: Snowflake
Hey~hey~~!!

Would love to join in fo'sho!!

Reactions: Crono
Interested and am ready to roleplay! I'd love if you'd have me :)

Reactions: Crono