1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Intermediate
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Alt History, Anything really. It honestly depends on how I'm feeling. I am always up for a good, solid Cyberpunk RP. I'm also up for Crossover RPs.
Almost everyone has seen Hayao Miyazaki's films. You know, Spirited Away, Nausicaa, Princess Mononoke.

To get away from all the serious sociopolitical and economic threads, let's talk about Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli films!

So, what films have you seen? And what are your favorites?

I've seen almost all of them, and by far, my favorite one is Princess Mononoke. It's so... Different than most of the other ones. And the Soundtrack is top notch!

So, what's your favorite Miyazaki film, and why?

Reactions: Mari
One's I've seen in order from most to least favourite.
  1. Princess Mononoke
  2. The Wind Rises
  3. Castle in the Sky
  4. Naysicaa Valley of the Wind
  5. Arrietty
  6. Spirited Away

The only one I have watched is My Neighbor Totoro. I really loved it, but for some reason I have not found reason to watch any of the other films by Miyazaki-san.

I have seen a lot of Miyazaki/Ghibli films.
My favorite is probably The Cat Returns.
I also liked Spirited Away, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, and I could go on and on.
..ok I liked all the ones I have watched. It is too hard to choose.

The only one I have watched is My Neighbor Totoro. I really loved it, but for some reason I have not found reason to watch any of the other films by Miyazaki-san.
Watch Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Watch all of them.

Go! Go!

Watch Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.
Watch Mononoke first...
Or last if you're going for the "Best for last" approach.

Watch Mononoke first...
Or last if you're going for the "Best for last" approach.
Princess Mononoke is definitely the best Miyazaki Film.

• Love
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I love Miyazaki so much. I own several of his movies on DVD; I normally ask for one every Christmas. :E I can't really pick my favourite, but I think it's between Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle. The very first I watched was Kiki's Delivery Service! I had it on VHS and watched it over and over again. <3 My dad took me to see Spirited Away when it came out in theaters. That was a good day.

Princess Mononoke kind of changed my life, though, at least creatively. It had a really big impact on my ~aesthetic~ I guess you could call it. The soundtrack is gorgeous and Lady Eboshi has my heart.

Princess Mononoke is definitely the best Miyazaki Film.
THANK YOU! :D

I'm so used to everyone seeing Spirited Away as the Holy Grail, and finding me mad for liking the other movies more than it. XD
Okay both of you... perhaps I will sometime in the near future, Mononoke then... :D
cheering_minions.gif

• Bucket of Rainbows
THANK YOU! :D

I'm so used to everyone seeing Spirited Away as the Holy Grail, and finding me mad for liking the other movies more than it. XD

cheering_minions.gif
My mom actually saw Princess Mononoke for the first time this week, even though i had seen it a bunch of times.

She loved it, as she should.

Everything about the Movie is just beautiful.

The Art Style, the Story, the Music.
My God the music.

• Love
Reactions: Minerva
I remember watching Howls Moving Castle when I was like 8 and it came on TV. No one else wanted to read the subtitles so I sat in front of the screen and read them as they appeared for everyone in character voices for the entire movie. By the time it ended I hadn't registered what had happened at all (when I read aloud I don't really comprehend what I'm reading. I guess I'm more focused on saying the words right?)

Fast forward and I watched Princess Mononoke with friends, then Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, and then rewatched Howls. I watched like half of Ponyo before the scratched up library DVD reached its limit.

Mononoke has to be my favorite though.

Reactions: Minerva
Laputa Castle in the Sky!

Howl's Moving Castle is my favorite, though Princess Mononoke is a close second. Those are the only two of his films I've watched all the way through though, because I'm garbage and every time I think about going to watch at least the other big ones I get distracted by other movies or shows or video games. 8D

Never been very into Miyazaki's work. -Shields self with tables from incoming attacks-

The only one I really liked was Howl's moving castle. It's one of my favorite anime movies of all time (together with Paprika, The cat returns and wolf children). But overall, I just don't get into anime movies that easily for some reason, and most of the Miyazaki movies I've seen hasn't really entertained me enough. Either it's okay or it's boring. (Note; only one Miyazaki movie has actually bored me all the way through so far). There are a few I haven't watch but am going to eventually. The wind rises and Porco rosso. Also I'm gonna re-watch spirited away at some point since I don't remember anything about it and I only saw it as a child. Only part I remember is the one with her parents turning into pigs. (All other Miyazaki films has been seen during adulthood since I didn't grow up with them.)

The only one I really liked was Howl's moving castle. It's one of my favorite anime movies of all time (together with Paprika, The cat returns and wolf children). But overall, I just don't get into anime movies that easily for some reason, and most of the Miyazaki movies I've seen hasn't really entertained me enough.
That's actually very understandable. His films tend to start off with very slow pacing. You have this sense of "stop dicking around" for the first parts of the movies, even as they're used for character establishment. So, yeah... It's easy to say you just have to sit down and discipline yourself not to be a bitch about it, but that's the same argument of "You have to learn how to appreciate the taste of beer."

That said, I do enjoy Miyazaki (and beer) myself. I greatly appreciate the power of show don't tell and visual storytelling. I don't know if I want to pick favourites, but many of them are great.

I have only seen Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle. Princess Mononoke was completely random, and the first of those I mentioned I have seen. My mom rented it, said she thought I might like it having seen a preview of it on another movie. She was right, I loved it. The characters, story, and not to forget the music. I loved the other two don't get me wrong but Princess Mononoke is my favorite.

Absolutely wonderful films. It is absolutely astonishing what such a skilled team of animators and artists could accomplish even back in the 80's without modern tools and equipment. I always find myself utterly enthralled watching these films; there really is something special about them that gives me a sense of genuine wonder that I rarely experience.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.