Mission: Z, IC

Winslow

Rain trickled harshly down his bare neck. Teeth clattering, Winslow slid off the jacket that had been ripped and torn by the tests of time, and made sure that it protected Evangeline as she shuddered, presumably from her ailment, rather than the storm. Winslow loved a good storm, when he was still in a situation where life was normal and the people were good and loving, Winslow would stay awake for hours at a time, writing short stories to the sound of splattering rain droplets. He briefly closed his eyes to imagine the clatter of his fingers against the key board, a gentle melody of piano notes humming in the background. His fingers drummed against his thighs lightly, words dancing and flowing through one ear to the other. A story of cosmic proportions grew in his head. Mystery, romance, adventure! Characters swarmed in his head like angry hornets, buzzing and colliding. Winslow was at ease, his chest heaving at an appropriate speed, the world behind his eyes filled with nothing but hope for the next day, and the next, until Winslow had run out of days to live.

“WHOA GOD IM DYING!” The exclamation caused his eyes to flutter open, heart slamming in his chest as he realized his new found friend appeared to be in trouble. Luckily, it seemed she merely tripped, and did not get eaten in the time period of Winslow’s dreamscape. He was relieved to see Dexs and Ottos attempt to help her, and he scoffed lightly at the girl mocking Bea.

“Ah, physical contact. The very baine of human existence. You might want to get that cleaned, I hear human skin is very dirty. I hear if you get touched by someone whose not a partner, their DNA seeps into your skin and infects you like a zombie. Except scarier if you get mini Wins running around.” He chuckled softly and hesitantly slid next to Otto, eyes flickering up and down at Bea “Don’t worry, no little girlfriend is going to beat you up. She’ll have to go through me first.” His head tilted innocently and continued to drum his fingers, breathing even still. “You alright Bea? You still look good, and by that I mean well...I...gah, can’t English.” He grinned, hoping to calm her if she was sheepish “Cling to me if you need to, don’t want you tripping again. That would make it twice today.” He held up two fingers, waggling them teasingly

Inventory

Pistol(four bullets)

Hospital rags(2)

Small, rusted scalpel

A new friend

Evangeline’s canteen (almost empty)

[fieldbox="Carter Yamanashi | Mechanic's Shop Garage | Dusk, purple, solid"]

30f5f9a0efe8155d2de5cf526eec788a.png

Interactions: Evie & Conner

Carter snatched back his hand with a head cock. "Oop. Well shit, fuck me then." There wasn't much malice in his tone, at least, nothing genuine. He knew when to shut up and who to do that with; this newcomer didn't seem particularly savvy to his fabulous ways, so he'd keep that on lock around her until further notice. Besides, they had Ryan to worry about.

Emphasis on "they"--as in, they had it covered, so it wasn't Carter's concern anymore. He did his job and helped to alert the helicopter here. If his charm wasn't going to dent this woman's armor, then he'd leave the charisma checks to them (yes, he played Dungeons and Dragons with Walter and some co-workers back in the day, judge away fuckers). So, Carter decided to put his energy into finding a decent spot to plop down near all the action and listen silently. If his mouth wasn't moving, best believe his brain was busy soaking up anything he could hear.

Carter had to suck his lips into his mouth to stave off a laugh at the woman's comment! Dayyyyum! And I thought I was blunt! Oooh, honty no! Where's yo filter?? However, Carter had no issues openly laughing at Evie's comment. He snapped his fingers sassily while exclaiming, "Yus, gurl! Look at honty junior owning up to her fabulousness! They learn quick!" Although she's still dealing with a whole damn concussion. Still kinda thrown off that she drove the truck! Laaaawd. I swear if she crashes the damn thing, Dex is gonna flip his shit about his boo thang, he thought with a tinge of worry.

Again, Evie was grown and could do whatever she pleased but, at the end of the day, he really hoped the woman wouldn't jeopardize her health in the process. He also knew that some symptoms could be delayed for hours (hell, days!) after getting a concussion, such as blackout episodes or losing concentration. Now imagine that happening while behind the wheel...

Lawd.

Carter's thoughts derailed when Conner spoke up about also going to Nashville. Oop...Fantastic. Just perfect. Now the angry red-head is gonna be extra pissed when she find out her own bust up boo thang is gone! So many negative emotions in this group--it was suffocating! At this rate, their vibe would start smothering Carter's flame of swagaliciousness and reducing the poor thing to a handful of sparks, which was an absolute no go. Lawd--grant him patience.

"Upset?" Carter laughed in disbelief, looking over at Conner like he grew a second head. "Oh nu-uh, honty. Try downright pissed like me going two weeks without a good fuck. Why you gotta leave us to deal with all that hormonal ferocity?" He tossed his head back and sighed dramatically. "I love people but damn! Kore wa suu tsumoridesu...(This is gonna suck...)" he sighed.

Inventory

On person
P226 Sig Sauer (7/10 loaded)
AR-15 (21x 5.56 rounds, 1 mags)
Sylvie's Machete
1x Jug of Benzene Oil
Handful of Industrial Wipes

Strip of dirty cloth/fabric
Industrial Flashlight

Personality/Internal-wise
Fabulousness
Bittersweet memories
Growing fondness for Evie & Hero
(Sorta kinda) Beef with Dean

814rDc8DLrL._UX562_.jpg

LONMMY-Military-pants-mens-Fashion-Cotton-Cargo-side-zipper-pants-mens-Army-green-Casual-trousers-Multi.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

s-l300.jpg

[/fieldbox]​

[fieldbox="Beatrice Kolkowsky | Jackson Mississippi
| Dusk, goldenrod, solid"]

flat,800x800,075,f.u1.jpg

Interactions: Dex, Otto, & Winslow

Bea couldn't breathe because of the massive gallons of blood rushing to her face.

Oh god. Oh fuck. Why her? Why now and in front of all these people?! She almost wanted to slap and punch herself for being such a damn dork all the time, but that would just embarrass her in front of the group even more. Just as her discombobulated brain was trying to tell her limbs to move, the angry girl from before towered over her. She was intimidating as holy hell, no doubt about that, and it didn't help that she was now brandishing her machete again.

This is when I make enemies with the devil...How surreal. It helped that the fog of panic and rushing water blocked out most of her words, though the mocking expression on her face spoke volumes. Bea didn't dare reply. She knew that look and pose well. The one that somebody stronger and superior wore before they left her with fresh bruises. No way in hell that was going to happen today. As soon as she left, Bea took Dex's hand gratefully and stood up, grinning sheepishly up at him.

"M-my bad! Didn't mean to drag you down to my doom or whatever," she said, only to immediately be thrown off by the support from Winslow and Otto-mic. This was...new, to say the least. She barely made friends in the past and anyone who cared about her well-being aside from her parents didn't exist. The fact that it took a zombie outbreak to make it happen was...a bit sad. Relieving, but sad. Heck, maybe if a bomb drops I'll find a girlfriend too! Hah! Hahahahah--I crack myself up. I should be a comedian and fail living off my non-existent paycheck.

Regardless, she smiled at Otto and nodded, patting her twig for an arm. "I'm good, I'm good! Just got caught up in an altercation with arch enemy, Dr. Clutzskinoskavitch! Aka, The Clutz. He's an elusive asshole..." she grumbled.

You alright Bea?" Win asked. "You still look good, and by that I mean well...I...gah, can’t English." Me too bro, me too. English is for the birds--wait. Did he say I look good? Gah! His purity! It's too much! Cling to me if you need to, don’t want you tripping again. That would make it twice today.” In response, Bea heaved a playful sigh before pushing his third finger up.

"It'll be three soon, I can promise you that."

A beat.

She clung to his arm, avoiding eye contact with him. "I'll take you up on that..." Seriously, if he was offering, then hell yes she would take it!

Hah! Try and come at now, Clutz and Red Satan!!

Inventory
On Person
1x - Hunting Knife
1x - Water Canteen (half full)
3x - Protein Bar
Uke the ukulele
1x - First Aid Kit
Bloodied Finding Nemo shirt
5x - Needles
3x - Hospital Rags

295862ad9eb0353041ff7db78dce9946--overall-shorts-outfit-denim-overall-shorts.jpg
m_560ffcec4e67483470009d08.jpg

[/fieldbox]​

Last edited:
[fieldbox="Willow | Jackson Mississippi | 1 October 2026 - Dusk, cornflowerblue, solid"]

72AhNo3.png

"Alright less talk, more work. If this storm gets too much worse we'll be grounded in the chopper, and trust me, that's not something you want." Because then she'd be pissed, and there were very few people who could tolerate sitting out a storm in the dark with an annoyed Willow.

The man who'd spoken up about joining them descended the stairs the rest of the way, holding out a hand that Willow ignored. "I'm Conner - Ryan's... sort of like an uncle to me, and Sykes helped us out of a tight spot not too long ago... So, thanks, I really appreciate your help getting them out of here."

"Willow. And I'm not promising anything," Willow stated bluntly. "Odds are, someone dies before we get to Nashville. So don't get your hopes up."

Conner nodded. "All we can do is try, right?" Without further exchange, he moved over to the man he'd called Sykes, helping him to his feet. Willow crossed her arms and stepped back, letting them pass on the way to the truck.

"What's with the mask?"

"Uh... lung problem," Conner replied in passing, before they disappeared out the door. Conner came back several moments later, and with the Japanese man's help (what had the other guy called him? Carter? she couldn't be bothered to remember), they carried Ryan out to the truck as well. Willow followed them out, and a few moments later they were on the road, with her sandwiched in the cab between Evie and Carter, and Conner in the back with the injured.

"Try and take it slow, Evie, don't wanna jostle them around too much," Conner called through the broken window.

Willow pulled into herself so she didn't have to touch either stranger. Fucking Eric and his bleeding heart. Soon enough they were pulling back up at the chopper, and Eric jumped down to meet them. The bodies of several Creepers that hadn't been there before lay strewn in the headlights of the truck, and at least one more lingered at the edge of the light, drawing nearer. Eric turned, knife in hand, and closed the distance between them, dispatching the thing in one strike to the temple. Wrenching the blade from the skull, he shook it off, letting the rain wash the gore from it before approaching the truck.

"We gotta go, like, now. The sound of the chopper brought these things from every direction, if we don't leave now we're going to be surrounded."

INVENTORY (WILLOW)
-------------------------
Wearing
bluejeans ripped at the knees, white tanktop under a gray flannel shirt & western boots
black tactical gloves & hearing protection earbuds

On Person
Winchester SXP Defender (5/5) [holding]
12g Shotgun Shells (5) [in pocket]
Ruger LCP Custom (5/5) [left leg]
Buck Knife w/Multipurpose Tools [left hip]
Crowbar [hanging on backpack]
LED Flashlight [hanging on backpack]

Backpack
12g Shotgun Shells [25]
9mm Rounds [50]
Worn, much-too-large Patriots Hoodie
20ft Climbing Rope
Small Sketch Pad & Pencils
Crowbar
Matches [100]
Survival Blanket
Flint & Steel

Food & Water
32oz Bottled Water [1]
Jar of Assorted Nuts [1]
Dehydrated Alligator Strips [10]

[/fieldbox]​

[fieldbox="Beatrice (Mobley Eats) and Winslow (KateSea) Collab | Jackson Mississippi to Mechanic's Shop

Interactions: Winslow, Cecilio, Ringo & Hero

Winslow’s features brightened as his friend clinged to him. There! He could stabilize her no problem. “See, this is why I am the best.” He smiled cheerily, shivers travelling up his back as droplets of rain snuck down his spine. “Oh...oh dear...we should move quickly! Well, not too quickly that we both fall, I don’t want us to grip onto someone else and have another romantic partner smash our faces in with their bare fist.” Despite the lighthearted tone, he grimaced. He recalled having ‘touched Evangeline too much’ when Marcos was around, and shuddered as past bruises stung against his skin once again. “It would be a shame to have our beautiful faces destroyed.

Bea seemed to miss the shivers that wracked Winslow’s body, but she laughed at the comment about beautiful faces and purposefully pulled a brief ugly expression, crooked glasses and pursed lips and all. “Sure would be a shame to wreck this beaut, huh?” She then relaxed her face with a giggle and nudged Winslow gently. “But yeah, probably should hurry up.” She tightened her free arm around her backpack, the ukulele’s neck tucked under her chin. “I hate putting Uke through all this.

It would. Irreplaceable,” he claimed with a small wave of his free hand “That is why we must preserve it as best as we can!” Gently Winslow guided his friend forward, completely oblivious to Evangeline chuckling behind them. He did glance back to check on her before blessing his sight with the ukulele.

She is a beauty.” He grinned. He missed his piano at home now, and the drumming of his fingers became more apparent to him. He had always joked to himself that if he had named his instrument, it would have been Wolfgang. His mother thought it was ridiculous, but he always truly got a laugh out of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

As soon as Winslow pointed out her precious instrument, Bea’s eyes lit up like fireworks on Independence Day. She jittered a little, though stopped herself pretty quickly after realizing that Uke wouldn’t appreciate the violently jostling around. Her mouth pinched, but it failed to stave off the geeky smile overcoming her features. “He’s one handsome ukulele, huh?” She smiled smugly (okay, well, as smugly as Bea’s face would pull, which wasn’t much) while patting her bag affectionately. “Uke has always been my PIC through all the ups and downs. Without this melodic lifesaver? Honestly, I would’ve…

She fell silent a moment, her brow furrowed--no. She couldn’t afford to think about that. Not right now. She shook her head before finishing lamely, “But, uh, yeah. Super Uke, the symbol of peace and music in this dark broody world of zombies.” She tagged on in a playful whisper, “And Satanic red heads--” she coughed, “Huh? Whazzit? Nothing.” Mischief pulled at her lips.

nm1976481.jpg

I do miss the sound of music,” Winslow claimed absentmindedly. He recalled his mother’s voice as she sang to his absentminded playing, sweet and angelic, loving and filled with care. Rest easy my son for the road ahead is bright and clear, I may not always be with you but I promise I will always be near, play on, play on, never let the music fade from within you, they say that lullabies never truly die, that is how you and I will be...he shook his head and tried to rid her voice. He couldn’t. “In all honesty that is something I wish for the most. But...I am glad to hear you have one, and that it protected you from the soulless redheads.” He grinned.

Sympathy pooled in Bea’s chest; she couldn’t imagine enduring this hell and not have the comforts of music. Sure, he had Evangeline and it somewhat made her jealous that he had another person around but, at the same time, Uke was a person. It was sad, but also a fact. Hell, Uke were people--two of them. Her parents. With them around, her sanity persisted like a weak flame flickering in the eye of the storm. She fell silent for a bit, too caught up in her thoughts. However, when she finally gathered enough wits to look ahead, she could see what appeared to be some sort of old shop. A mechanic’s? It seemed to be the direction the group was heading in.

Looks like we’re almost home free and out of this evil freaking rain,” she said, holding herself back from giving the sky a rude hand gesture. “Thank Wonder Woman,” she sighed in relief.

The rain isn’t that bad,” Winslow claimed with a smile. “I rather like it. It’s...peaceful. Although I doubt it’s going to remain any more tame than it is. Much like anything from a zombie apocalypse straight from a tv show in the early 10’s, it can only get worse from here.Thank Oliver Queen too, he has blessed us with his murderous and handsome green-ness.” He chuckled softly, eyes peering curiously at the mechanics shop. He most certainly didn’t remember this when he had found the hospital. He did recall Evangeline having done some scouting in previous days, but he doubted she went very far.

Bea opened her mouth to reply with something witty, but then her throat constricted. Maybe...maybe it would be a little dorky and weird to say it? But, then again, she was never one for using a filter. What made this moment any different? She bopped her head against his shoulder--(yes, she immediately regretted the action as a scant episode of dizziness rattled her brain, shaddup!)--and said softly, “Yeah, that green-ness is some sacred stuff. Not only did it guide us out of this crap,” she briefly squeezed Winslow’s arm, “It got me another PIC.

A pause.

Err, E-Evangeline too. A super pretty third PIC,” she stuttered nervously.

Winslow blinked as she bopped her head against his shoulder. Hesitantly, he leaned down and bopped the top of his head against hers, although it was a little bit of a stretch.

Oof, too short,” he teased her, grinning sweetly. “PIC?” He asked uncertainly until it clicked “Oh! Partner in crime eh? Oh of course, I’m glad to be of assistance in our heinous deeds.” He bowed his head. “Heh. She’s probably glad to have another friend around. The poor dear has been so quiet recently.

He frowned. He knew how tired she was. It saddened him greatly. It wasn’t lack of sleep or simple exhaustion, he believed she was just tired of trying to survive. She was supposed to teach little kids how to add fractions and learn their times tables, now she was damaged by the loss of her stalker and someone she held to be a lover. But now...even as Winslow looked back, expecting her to be filled with hope, the exhaustion was still present.

Bea puffed out her cheeks at the short comment. “Hey! There’s no such thing as too short. I’m just fun-sized,” she grumbled. However, her features softened with a hint of worry as Win mentioned Evangeline. She barely knew the woman, but she must’ve been at least a decent human being to have been looking after a guy as pure as Winslow. Sucks that I can’t really do anything to help...although, when have I ever been useful? She punt-kicked the thoughts aside and settled for silence again, not entirely sure what to say. She was a dork. The comedic relief. Not a therapist.

At long last, Bea and Winslow entered the shop with the group, the former of the duo looking about curiously at drab interior. She expected to see a few more people since Dex and the others mentioned getting medical supplies. None of them seemed fatally hurt, so she assumed there would be injured companions here--

She froze.

Dogs. Two of them. Very big. And muscular. And quite very possibly dangerous--

Bea threw up her arms and tossed her head back dramatically. “DOGS OMG YES!

Fun sized is the perfect term my friend,” he decided happily and tried to distract himself from his friends troubles. His eyes caught sight of the dogs, swallowing almost nervously. Beauties they were but...he glanced back again and saw utter joy spread across Eva’s face, nearly identical to Bea’s. He saw Evangeline’s lips move but he couldn’t quite hear what she was saying.

Yay...puppers.” He smiled thinly.

All puppers are perfection. No matter size, color, gender, religion, etc--so says Bea the Great!” Bea claimed goofily before finally noticing the presence of another person. Dear Lord. He was big too and very freaking buff. Okay. Alright. Bea was intimidated again. She immediately attached herself to Winslow again, eyeing the man ((Cecilio)) wearily.

Err...Don’t kill us, please? A-at least let me shower the dogs in love f-first?” she chuckled awkwardly, shuffling in place.

[/fieldbox]​

[fieldbox="Carter Yamanashi | Jackson Mississippi | Dusk, purple, solid"]

Interactions: Conner & Willow (sort of)

Carter was somewhat salty that he had to tag along to help transfer the injured to the helicopter, but he knew that he had to. Oh no, it wasn't out of compassion or obligation or anything of that sort. Of course not. Rather, it was because of Evie, who was behind the fucking wheel again!

Lawd.

Either way, the most Carter could do was keep an eye on Evie and make sure she didn't give off any signs of fatigue. If he did, he could conjure up a bullshit excuse for stopping and using his luscious hips to scoot into the driver's seat and take over. But, luckily, that wasn't the case. The only thing he did do was intentionally lean into Willow since she seemed to love the contact so much. Yes I'm a petty boss bitch. What of it? Aside from the teasing, the drive went smootly and they reached the helicopter soon enough--

Oh. Zombie bodies. Strewn all about.

Oh, we're getting the fuck out of here. Stat, he thought with an annoyed sigh under his breath. He hopped out of the truck after Evie helped guide Conner into the chopper, hand unconsciously lowering the man's head as they neared it. The Japanese-American had to hold back a grimace and complaint as he accidentally stopped on the corpse of an infected, releasing this sickening crack sound.

"Ohhhh--fuckin' Lawdy shit that's nasty," he yelled over the whirring turbine. In all honesty, he had seen far nastier, but he still didn't appreciate his new boots making contact with slaughtered zombie flesh. This was bullshit!

Inventory

On person
Sylvie's Machete
1x Jug of Benzene Oil

Industrial Flashlight

Fabulousness
Bittersweet memories
Growing fondness for Evie & Hero

814rDc8DLrL._UX562_.jpg

LONMMY-Military-pants-mens-Fashion-Cotton-Cargo-side-zipper-pants-mens-Army-green-Casual-trousers-Multi.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

s-l300.jpg

[/fieldbox]​

[fieldbox="Dexter | Jackson Mississippi | 1 October 2026 - Dusk, darkorange, solid"]

Thankfully the rest of the trip back to the garage was uneventful, though it did take them a little longer than it had on the way there thanks to the heavier rainfall. In fact, the storm seemed to be getting progressively worse, and soon they had to contest not only with the rain, but with buffeting wind, too. By the time they got back, it was a struggle just to walk a straight line. They were smack dab right in the middle of hurricane season, and by the looks of it, their luck evading one so far was beginning to run out.

The first thing Dexter noticed upon entering the garage was that the truck was gone. The second thing, after his eyes adjusted to the darkness, was that Ryan and Sykes were gone.

"Where-?"

"Where's Ryan?" Riley demanded, interrupting him. She moved around him to stand in front of Jesse. "Where is he?"

"Riley calm down, I'm sure they just moved him somewhere more comfortable." Even as he said it, though, unease pricked at the back of his mind. Ryan had been in bad shape when they left. Was it possible that he hadn't made it? But that made no sense, seeing as Sykes appeared to be gone, too.

Taking the stairs two at a time, Dex pushed open the door to the second floor, expecting to see someone laid up on the couch, or something, but the room was empty. His eyes flicked downward, a million scenarios running through his mind, but none able to explain where everyone had gone if Jesse was downstairs unharmed. That thought alone was enough to settle some of the anxiety flashing warning signs in his brain, but even so he couldn't help the quickening of his pulse, or the constant, pestering worry. Dex descended the stairs more slowly, hand tight on the rail. He paused midway down, leaning over the rail. "Evie? Carter?"

"Conner up there?"

Dexter ignored her, eyes fixed on Jesse as he awaited an explanation.

But any brewing clarification lost its urgency as from out of nowhere, the sounds of a helicopter stole the spotlight. Dex's head snapped upwards, toward the ceiling. There had been no buildup. No faint thrumming turning into a louder one. It was if the chopper had reared up right around the corner. Because it had.

Brushing past the others, Dex retreated back outside into the rain, and the bright, blinding lights of the helicopter swept the street in front of the garage as it moved overhead. In just a few moments, it rose up out of sight, and a minute or two later, the noise faded from earshot, swallowed by the rain.

"Dex..." An unusually meek Riley sounded from behind him, and Dex turned. "Who was on that chopper?"

That was a great question.

INVENTORY (DEXTER)
Wearing
soggy black basketball shorts, long-sleeved camo shirt & black combat boots

On Person
Hunting Knife, with Sheath [on right leg]
.50 Cal Desert Eagle (15/15) [on left leg]
DD M4 Carbine V5 AR-15 (6/32) [holding]

In Bag

.50cal Rounds x32
9mm Rounds x46
Minor First Aid Kit (mostly used)
Small LED Flashlight
Military Dogtags
Letter from his Father
Change of Clothing
Antibiotics & Assorted Medical Supplies
Fabric Daffodil

Food & Water
17oz Bottled Water [3]

[/fieldbox]​

Reactions: Mobley Eats
Cecilio & Ringo
b279110537109996be51a2f5a9dc7654.png

Interactions: Garage Gang
Cecilio was a bit surprised by the addition of more people though he had been caught off guard in the middle of cleaning up used medical supplies. He explained to Dex what had happened and the folks who had arrived looking for a scouting team or something. He did admit to letting them take Ryan and Sykes since he knew treating them wasn't an option for them. Cecilio then informed them of Conners choice though he added he didn't have any chance to tell him to reconsider before they all hurried to load the wounded.

Ringo had meanwhile cautiously approached Bea and Winslow trying to get their scent. The scent was somewhat familiar to the hound reminding of the young boy that had pet him back in Ballamory. He was cautious still and kept a small distance between himself and Bea.

[fieldbox="Dean | Jackson Mississippi | 1 October 2026 - Dusk, lightgreen, solid"]

6PYAkrF.jpg

Hanging in the back, behind Evangeline, Dean listened to Cecilio's explanation, his brow furrowing deeper and deeper with every second until his face was a mask of deep-seated anger. He was grateful for the darkness of the room that disguised the darkness in his expression. Just when he thought everything was going to go right, just when he'd convinced Dexter to tell the others about the sanctuary in D.C., they get word about Nashville.

Nashville... of course Dean knew about Nashville... every one of the six major settlements were in touch with each other - keeping track of population, medical breakthroughs, the rapid evolution of the Infection... but he'd been hoping to, for a while at least, keep the existence of other such, closer, cities from the group. After all, if they were nearer to Nashville, which for all intents and purposes was just as safe as D.C., why would they bother to go any further?

Dean bit the inside of his cheek so hard he tasted copper, the hand that wasn't resting on the small of Evangeline's back tightened into a fist at his side.

For the second time that day, he found himself asking what are the fucking odds?

He needed to get a handle on the situation, and fast. And that meant getting people on his side. Taking a moment to steady his breathing, Dean stepped around the others and spoke to Bea and Winslow. "The dogs are friendly, just watch the shepherd, he'll run you ragged throwing a tennis ball." Rocking back on his heels a moment, he put a hand on Winslow's shoulder and looked to Evangeline. "Mind if I borrow your baby brother for a moment, Eva?"

INVENTORY (DEAN)
Wearing
Black cargo pants, black t-shirt
Black combat boots & lightweight Kevlar vest
Black Camelbak

On Person

Colt Combat Commander (9/9) [holding]
Small Machete w/Sheath [on left hip]
Foldable Pocket Knife [in pocket]
Small Lockpicking Kit [in pocket]

Holey Ass Backpack
9mm Rounds [1x box of 21]
9mm Rounds [5x boxes of 50]
9mm Mags [1x mags of 9, 2x empty]
Picture of Last Class from D.C.
Small First-Aid Kit
Police Utility Belt [handcuffs, radio, pepper spray, taser, maglight, baton]
Personal Hygiene Kit [includes battery operated clippers]
Change of Clothing [jeans, black t-shirt, socks, boxers]
Water Purifying Straw
Mess Kit w/Utensils
Weapons Cleaning Kit
Black Pullover Hoodie

Food & Water
1/2 full 1lb bag of jerky [1]
full 1lb bags of jerky [1]
granola bars [19]
20oz bottled water [3]
60oz canteen [full]
85oz black Camelbak [full]

[/fieldbox]​

4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Willow

The process of loading the injured into the chopper could have gone... much smoother, that much was a given. Between keeping an eye out for more infected and trying to carry the lumbering bodies of the injured men, the makeshift group weren't exactly the most efficient or professional evacuation team. Still, before long, they had managed to get the job done.

Stood before the helicopter with the rotors spinning up once more, the dinner bell loudly ringing for nearby infected, Evie stood across from Willow, wet strands of darkened ginger hair clinging to her face. "Where will we find you?" she asked, momentarily ignoring Carter's ranting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Person (Evie):
- Hunting Knife
- Bow (12 arrows)

Backpack/Room (Evie):
Items (3):
- Change of Outfit

Water (0):

Food (0):

Outfit:

[spoili]
jsaFlUa.jpg
[/spoili]

Otto Williams
C.Bohannon6.png
-
Otto pushed wet hair out of his face as they entered the garage, as he entered the same questions asked by everyone else also entered his head but he didn't voice them since others were taking care of that themselves. He had no overt reaction to the explanation Jesse gave, maybe if it had been dry and sunny out he would've shown the same concern that Dex and Riley did though they seemed to be showing the concern for much different reasons. Otto himself went over to a old tire rim and began to work on starting a fire, luckily after some looking he was able to find some old steel wool and a battery of some description which probably went to one of the old tools once used in the shop. It didn't take him long to get a small flame which he then proceeded to feed with whatever scrap he could find that wasn't being used, mostly coming from a old wood pallet or two that had been in the shop when they arrived. He sat back against a wall near his small fire as he watched everyone else talk, the smoke filling the ceiling and wafting out of a pair of upper windows that had long since been busted out by storms from the past two years.
---
1x AR15
1x 1911A1
7x 7 round 1911 magazines
5x 30 round STANAG mags (26 rounds depleted in total)
1x tanto style combat knife
On Chest Rig:
6x 30 round STANAG magazines

[fieldbox="Willow | Jackson Mississippi | 1 October 2026 - Dusk, cornflowerblue, solid"]

72AhNo3.png

Once everyone was loaded into the chopper and strapped down as best they could manage, Willow climbed up after them, in a hurry to be out of the rain. She'd already started to close the door when Evie called out, and she hesitated. Yeah, might be helpful if we actually said where we were taking them, wouldn't it?

"Nashville," she said, then paused and clarified for the very obviously non-American. "Tennessee. Just get to the state border and follow the signs. Can't miss it. You'll probably run into another one of our teams once you're over state lines. Except they'll be wearing these gaudy uniforms," she rolled her eyes, and Eric called to her from inside.

Willow eyed Evie and Carter for another second. "Well, good luck. Hope you don't die." She didn't have the slightest bit of confidence that they'd all make it, but, eh, she didn't honestly care either way. Pulling the door shut, she returned to the passenger seat of the chopper and buckled in as Eric took off.

INVENTORY (WILLOW)
Wearing
bluejeans ripped at the knees, white tanktop under a gray flannel shirt & western boots
black tactical gloves & hearing protection earbuds

On Person
Winchester SXP Defender (5/5) [holding]
12g Shotgun Shells (5) [in pocket]
Ruger LCP Custom (5/5) [left leg]
Buck Knife w/Multipurpose Tools [left hip]
Crowbar [hanging on backpack]
LED Flashlight [hanging on backpack]

Backpack
12g Shotgun Shells [25]
9mm Rounds [50]
Worn, much-too-large Patriots Hoodie
20ft Climbing Rope
Small Sketch Pad & Pencils
Crowbar
Matches [100]
Survival Blanket
Flint & Steel

Food & Water
32oz Bottled Water [1]
Jar of Assorted Nuts [1]
Dehydrated Alligator Strips [10]

[/fieldbox]​

Aveline
(ask the other guy)
CjdVbY-RLU6BTRa6IVUvcrSK66D5PWvf2cE1LScC_tx2ReDbuupQNSuwgzpg2Mn5POmSiSFRZu3Ii0VDoy3Xeaa4vgpX-Uq8d-ogCXMPAkOJ2tZYjwaFsiYyT8IfJXHqFg9UiWJZ

They had finally entered the garage and Aveline was grateful that they arrived unharmed, she removed her hood and rubbed her shivering arms to warm her herself. A few of the group members were missing, she wanted to not care yet, ugh. 'You’re 'part of the group.’ she mocked in her head and tiredly rolled her eyes. But seeing as a helicopter passed by earlier and now the group being missing did actually bring her worry. As Riley and Dex wondered for the others and the newly acquainted settled, she got comfortable with Otto’s fire.

“I believe…” she starts yet pauses, crossing her arms. She felt bad about leaving and some part of her regrets going back to them. “I need to get something off my chest, especially since I feel most comfortable telling you.” She confesses, her gaze going from the group and back to the fire, she doesn't know why nor does she like the fact that she feels guilty. “I left a few moments before hell broke loose… and was damn near going to abandon.” She huffs… pausing. “That's it…”

--

ON PERSON:

- Sneakers
- White t-shirt
- Blue jeans
- Ankle socks
- Black Jacket
- Baseball Bat (main weapon)
- Silver lighter (in back pocket)

IN PACK:

- Corey's stuffed animal
- Picture of Aveline and Corey
- 2x Bottle water
- Small pistol
- 9x pistol rounds
- Baby wipes (doesn’t actually smell like babies)
- Bagged and labeled medicine: Ibuprofen (6x), Benadryl (8x), Tylenol (4x)
- Ripped Gauze
- Bagged band-Aids (10x)

tzbLEzvHHo6EoNQucsZofEy4Dy6AGd2A0ipp7Z4mJRFR0_lnz2WOKU3Un2qnnCpy6Y4cjpH9vHfsLH2IBLYka_TQg30R6oZgDQE6qJYn3I8bc7Yhmo2nIBOBzCrGL0B4PvmzD-Jn

4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Carter

As the helicopter blades whirled violently, giving lift to the chopper which now made its exit from the scene, Evie's sodden hair kicked back tenaciously as a glum expression hit her face. Whether or not they could trust those people was to be seen but the lives of two people were now in their hands and if Ryan, Sykes and Conner died, it would be on Carter's, Cecilio's and Evie's heads.

Turning to face Carter, she nodded resolutely and began walking towards him and the truck. "Come on, let's-" she cut off suddenly, a heavy stumble in her gait as she lost her balance and went hurtling towards the floor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Person (Evie):
- Hunting Knife
- Bow (12 arrows)

Backpack/Room (Evie):
Items (3):
- Change of Outfit

Water (0):

Food (0):

Outfit:

[spoili]
jsaFlUa.jpg
[/spoili]

[fieldbox="Carter Yamanashi | Jackson Mississippi to Mechanic's Shop | Dusk, purple, solid"]

Interactions: Evie & Garage Gang

Carter heaved a sigh of relief as the last of their injured stepped into the helicopter and watched it fly off with that grumpy Wilt woman (Shit, was it Wilma? Yeah, that was it) in tow. Good goddamn riddance! Now he could get out of this damn storm and back inside the shop! Plus, he knew it would be a nice break from seeing all the dread in the group. Maybe they'd lighten a little with the almost-corpse no longer around.

...Or maybe the returning group would flip about them leaving.

"Fuck it," he claimed aloud with another noodle flap of the arm, the sound wet and muted by the rain. As he made his way back to the truck, Carter looked over his shoulder at Evie to fire off another complaint--

His heart plummeted faster than her body met the ground.

*Thud!*

"SHIT WHAT THE FUCK NOW!" he screeched before sprinting over to Evie's unconscious form. Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK HE SHOULD'VE KNOWN THIS WOULD HAPPEN! "Jesus fucking--stupid! Baka! (Idiot!)" Even as the curses rolled off his lips with the rain, his hands shook. With what, he didn't want to know. But, of course, if Carter was anything, he was smart. And he knew himself.

He wasn't allowed to get attached. When did he start breaking the fucking rules?

He hastily scooped Evie into his arms and hustled over to the truck, tucking her head under his to shield it from the torrents of rain. Everything was fucking slippery. It pissed him off even more, which he didn't even think was possible right now. "Honty Junior just had to get in the fucking truck! She just had to say fuck it! Let's just faint today and leave poor Carter alone to deal with it!"

It was a bit of a hassle, but Carter managed to prop Evie up in the passenger side, still laying on her back. As he got in, he draped her legs over his lap. He didn't want to have her sitting up--never make someone sit up while dealing with the after effects of a concussion--

Wait.

Carter lifted both of her eyelids. Good. Her pupils were the same size, so he could cross off any major neurological damage. Finally, he slammed the door shut, cranked the engine, and yelled while ripping through the fields, "Fuck my life!"

I hate everything, I hate everything, I hate everything, I hate everything, I hate everything.

Without tearing his gaze from the grass and pounding rain ahead, Carter shot off into another rant, though it was more grumbling than screaming now. "Okay, so yeah, what did we fucking learn today, honty? Hm? Oh, don't worry, I'm patient. I'll wait!"

A pause.

"Exactly! That's right! Remember kids, concussions mean bad. Bad means the opposite of good. Basically, don't fucking concuss and drive! It's in the law kiddos!" It was becoming increasingly difficult to navigate his way through the storm, especially while keeping on a look out for the shop and anymore infected. He prayed to whatever deity he still believed in that he'd reach it soon or, at the very least, was still on the right track. He couldn't afford to waste time jostling Evie around in the truck.

"You're really fucking stubborn, did ya know that? No? Oh! Well fun fucking fact of the day~!" he said sarcastically. Okay, alright--he could admit that he was overreacting a tad, but he couldn't help it. All of the nervous energy pent up within him was at long last triggered by what he dreaded yet predicted. The reality of it all was this--he didn't fight hard enough to keep Evie's tenacity down to a minimum. He didn't keep her safe in Dex's absence.

Now, when they got back, Dex would be worried. Ask questions. Find out who drove. And perhaps, just maybe, blame Carter for not stopping her.

Then the trust would waver. All of that hard-work, gone to shit. His bodyguards, gone to absolute and utter shit.

Even then, his hands wouldn't stop fucking shaking! Why?! His grip on the wheel tightened.

"I swear to fucking high hell, honty. You do dumb baby back bullshit like this again," He lightly smacked her foot, "I'll backhand slap you pimp style!" Something bitter burned in the back of his throat. "Don't you fucking scare me again."

Another excruciating handful of seconds finally granted him a reprieve. The mechanic's shop was within view. He used the last handful of seconds before entering the lot to wipe his mind and soul clean of anxiety, and slapped on a calm yet mildly annoyed expression. He was cautious to stop smoothly and even more so as he carried Evie into the garage, leaving a trail of water in his wake. They were drenched.

Without batting eyelash, Carter smiled sarcastically at the group while heading towards the fire the group had made. "Oh don't mind me just covered in rain and thinking about all the reasons why I shouldn't waste my energy wishing death on the sky while carrying an unconscious Evie. It's casual honties." In the end, it wasn't terribly serious. Evie was going to need as much rest as possible, they just needed to monitor her systems in a timely manner. He gently set her down before scrounging through his things and taking out an industrial wipe. He dabbed away at her face before sighing irritably and falling back on his haunches.

He stared at the ceiling.

"Dex...come look after yo damn boo thang before she give me a whole heart attack." He patted his chest, trying to calm his racing heart. That was enough bullshit for one day. "You know her best. Wake her up every two hours, make sure she has the usual personality and thought patterns. Ask her time, day, what state, general shit. Car Car's done, biatches."

With that, he flopped onto his back.

Inventory

On person
Sylvie's Machete
1x Jug of Benzene Oil

Industrial Flashlight

Fabulousness
Bittersweet memories
Undeniable (yet still denied) fondness for Evie & Hero
No time for this fainting foolishness

814rDc8DLrL._UX562_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

[/fieldbox]​

Otto Williams
C.Bohannon6.png
Interaction: Ave and Carter
-

He sat there, reloading his magazines and checking his weapons since that's all he had on him for the most part and he rather they not be damaged and thankfully the cultist he had taken the rifle and pistol off of had taken care of their weapons at least. He put his rifle back together and set it to his side when Ave sat down, he turned his full attention to her and listened to what she said. It was fast and simple as she confessed to almost leaving the group before they were attacked, his eyes gave the most expression as they took on a sad look as the flames reflected in them, the blue hues contrasting with the orange fire but his face remained passive. "I am...unsure what you expect my reaction to be? Anger maybe? Or sadness and disappointment? While I won't lie and say I am sad that you still felt, perhaps still feel, unsafe or unwelcome here around us...around me...that you would still want to leave I can't fault you for it. I am...very glad you chose to come back, I would of been deeply saddened if you were missing or had been killed after we got out and you saved many of us by turning back to us and that is what matters, that in the end you turned back to us." Otto finished as he looked back into the fire, the wood cracking as it split and burnt before he once again looked to Ave. "I would hope you know that I...care a great deal about you and what happens to you and would greatly prefer you staying here with m...us." He caught his slip before he made it as he gave Ave a smile just before Carter burst in with a unconscious Evie, the Asian American man was in such a huff that he failed to notice their new guests. "Carter, deep breath in then count to five, exhale then count to five again." Otto spoke as the man's chest heaved in labored breaths. "Also we have guests, you should introduce yourself."
---
1x AR15
1x 1911A1
7x 7 round 1911 magazines
5x 30 round STANAG mags (26 rounds depleted in total)
1x tanto style combat knife
On Chest Rig:
6x 30 round STANAG magazines

[fieldbox="Beatrice Kolkowsky | Mechanic's Shop

Interactions: Carter, Ringo & Hero

Bea barely heard Winslow over the "OMG DOGGIES MY LIFE HAS COLOR AGAIN" fog clouding her mind. Pure glee glimmered in her eyes as Ringo neared her slowly, sniffing her cautiously. Holding her breath, she carefully knelt down and outstretched her hand towards the canine.

As soon as his snout made contact with her fingers, it was like a trigger set off in her brain. An incredibly awkward cross between a snort and squeal of joy escaped her as a wide smile threatened to split her cheeks. She instantly petted and hugged Ringo like a life-sized teddy bear. Dear God did she need this! "My life sucks like 135% less now!" she claimed like a geek high on sugar. In reality, that was just a natural rush. She loved dogs almost as much as she praised Wonder Woman. Okay, fine, she loved both equally, but don't let that bit of information slip! She could lose her membership with Geeks & Sundry!

She outstretched a hand towards Hero, silently begging with every fiber of her heart (she would gladly grovel!) for him to join in on the love. However, she was distracted by the sudden and loud entry of some Asian (Chinese? Korean? Err...Japanese?) man carrying an unconscious girl. She had no idea who they were...just like everyone else in the garage except for Winslow and Evangeline.

Which finally made her realize Win's absence.

And the mass of yet-to-be-completely-trusted people surrounding her...

Bea chocked on spit.

"Ahhhhh--survival skills, Bea, dammit. Survival skills. Get some," she mumbled under her breath before clumsily rushing back to Evangeline's side (before anybody asked--yes, she was still avoiding eye contact with the gorgeous woman).

As the Japanese man flopped onto his back (Car Car...huh, that's new. Kinda cute, she thought), he released a groan after Otto-mic said something to him. Bea couldn't quite make out the words, but it must've been a request that the man wasn't too keen on fulfilling at the moment. Bea didn't blame him. He looked like a soggy slice of bologna (Hah! Soggy slice of bologna! Good one, Bee, good one...whoo boi).

Nonetheless, the man self-proclaimed as Car Car lazily rolled onto his side before striking a...we'll say casual pose (if whipping his wet bangs back dramatically with a wistful sight and resting one hand on his knee like some swimsuit model counted as casual). He raised a hand to the sky in greeting.

"Hey new honties! Welcome to Aunty Carter's Bandwagon tour~!"

Bea blinked.

...What?

Carter pushed on, ignoring Bea's baffled expression. "I'm the ever so fabulous and beautiful Carter, though you can call me Queen C or Car Car for shits and giggles. Blah, blah, blah, other informative things. Insert sassy sexual gay joke here. Curtain falls." He flopped onto his back again with a neutral expression, as if he hadn't utterly ripped the rug out from underneath Bea's feet.

"I, um, uh..." Bea looked at Ringo while pointing at Carter, her face reading, 'Did that happen just now?'. It took a solid five seconds before she realized she was seeking a verbal answer from a dog. Blushing in embarrassment, Bea cleared her throat and shuffled a little next to Evangeline. She started off doing a salute, but the second-guessed herself and made the motion look like a drunken pat-me-down. "Hey, Car--Queen, C, CD..." A pause. "Queen C. I'm Bea."

Carter shot her a thumbs up without looking her way. "Queen B it is, honty. I'm still the OG Queen though."

"Of course, right," she nodded in complete (lies) understanding. At this point, she just couldn't find it within herself to fight the logic. Or lack thereof. Just go with the flow, Queen B. Just go with the flow...

Inventory
On Person
1x - Hunting Knife
1x - Water Canteen (half full)
3x - Protein Bar
Uke the ukulele
1x - First Aid Kit
Bloodied Finding Nemo shirt
5x - Needles
3x - Hospital Rags

295862ad9eb0353041ff7db78dce9946--overall-shorts-outfit-denim-overall-shorts.jpg
m_560ffcec4e67483470009d08.jpg

[/fieldbox]​

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: JJ and KatSea
Winslow & Dean Collab

Winslow’s entire body tensed at the foreign touch against his shoulder. It wasn’t the gentle skim of Evangeline’s hand as she, in a futile attempt, hopped to pat his shoulder, and it wasn’t the strong grip of his friend’s desperate hand as her eyes traced along the sight of the dogs. His chest relaxed, air escaping his lips and irritating his overly bitten lip. “Mind if I borrow your baby brother for a moment, Eva?” Dean’s voice rippled along Winslow’s ears and with clouded fear in his eyes, he turned his head to face Evangeline, who was briefly distracted by the dog inspecting himself and Bea.

“Hmm? Oh...oh sure.” Evangeline paused absentmindedly, her eyes training straight ahead. Winslow followed her gaze, only to see that she had focused on no one, no thing. “Winslow is that okay sweetheart? I am sure Dean missed you too…” Missed is the incorrect term, I think. Satisfied to have gotten the two burdens off his shoulders...yes. I doubt he was truly going to come back to us. This might just be his politeness. Heh. Heh…

“Whatcha need to talk about buddy old pal?” Winslow asked with a grin, wondering if the discussion was a true necessity, and whether or not it was appropriate for Dean to be discussing the topic alone. Without Evangeline and Bea. I doubt he’s gonna pop a bullet into my skull, at least if he does, I can have the reassurance that Ev will kill him for it.

“Let’s take it upstairs, looks like it’s getting a little crowded down here.” Dean headed up the staircase, waiting for Winslow to follow him through the door before he shut it behind them and motioned towards one of the couches.

Winslow could feel his heart hammer against his chest as he watched the door close behind Dean. “Alright... first things first…” He stood, face to face with Dean, a toothy smile etched along his demeanor. He glanced down at his hands, rubbed them together, then with a big breath, he laughed, “I could say that I missed you. The little family you provided, the little speckle of hope you gave Ev…” Without another sound, Winslow raised his hand and hit Dean upon his cheek, smile vanishing from his countenance. “But that would be a lie.” Teasingly, he waggled his eyebrows, then went to sit on the couch Dean had motioned for, his aching hand resting along his hip. “So, what do you have to say for yourself?”

Taken by surprise, Dean stood, dumbfounded at the boy’s bold move. For a second, just a split second, there was a dark, cold fury brimming behind deceptively calm eyes, but it vanished just as quickly as it came. He touched his cheek, the sting fading beneath his fingertips. “I… I deserved that.” He leaned back against the door, wetting his lips and taking a moment to steady his emotions. “Win, I’m sorry. Truly, I am. I left you and Eva, I failed you and Eva. And I’ll never forgive myself for not trying harder to find you.”

Closing the space between them, Dean stood over Winslow on the couch. “You kept her safe, and I’ll never be able to repay you for that. But I want to try. Let me try.”

Winslow’s eyes desperately scanned him for deception, gaze cold and devoid of any emotion. Winslow was never truly good at keeping his emotions locked up, but as his lip trembled and breathing quickened, he found himself at odds with his own self. “I almost believe you,” he mumbled gently, his hand remaining stubbornly at his hip in case of possible attack. “I can almost hear empathy in your voice.” His expression softened. “Are you really going to be there for her? For us? Or is that something you say because you realized...you realized we came back, and you need to look like the good man?”

Dean gave him an incredulous look. “Look like the good man?” He shook his head. “Those people downstairs would all be dead if it weren’t for me. A good chunk of them, at least. I gain nothing that I don’t already have by lying to look good in front of them. I know you and I haven’t really seen eye to eye in the past, and I regret not trying harder to make you feel at ease, but I’m here to help you, Winslow. You and your sister. I promise you that as long as I’m here, you have nothing to worry about.”
Son of a bitch! Why does he have to have such a snake charmer affect to him? Maybe if I didn’t despise his decision to abandon us so much I would take some advice from him. “If I do give you a second chance…” Winslow started, slowly and deliberately, “I...I need you to be careful. And if Ev does get hurt, by some horrible chance if I can’t look after her...I am depending on you, you hear that? And if you do the exact, same, goddamn thing, I will make sure that you never see the light of day, are we clear?” The words tasted bitter in his mouth. I can’t believe I am standing up to him like this! He scares the life out of me, goodness, oh I should be more careful...no. Think of Ev and me. We need the best out of this.

Despite Winslow’s outbursts, and even the threats, Dean’s expression remained unperturbed. In fact, there was even a glimmer of admiration there if one looked hard enough. “I’d be disappointed if you felt any other way. The only thing I ask in return is that you try to give me the benefit of the doubt. I…” He looked away, seeming to struggle with words for a moment, before he swallowed hard and then continued, “...love your sister. I would never intentionally hurt her.”

“I love her too, Dean.” His expression softened. “But that’s the issue, isn’t it?” He rubbed his temple patiently. “Love is a word, Dean. It doesn’t always necessarily make it true. But...I know she does love...well, at the very least I think she loves you. I don’t trust the men in her life because the last man that was with us broke a part of me...quite literally.” Dean’s eyes narrowed at that but he didn’t interrupt. “So I understand that you say you want to try. I understand you want to prove that you are genuine. Words are one thing, doing the action is another.” His eyes drooped, “Second chances are a good thing. Life gave me a second chance when Ev came into my life. So I’ll be brief. I don’t trust you, but I’m willing to try.” He smiled again, this time his lips pressed together tightly. “That is...if you are willing to go beyond your words.”

“That’s all I’m asking for,” Dean smiled. “So we’re ok? You and me?”

God my heart feels like it’s going to break out of my rib cage! Breathe, Win, you are the tough man here...but I suppose that’s not the case is it. Deans getting what he wants...and I’m tricking myself into thinking I’m getting the longer end of the straw. “We are alright,” he claimed, wearily. “Just don’t expect me to be buddy buddy with you.” Maybe I should apologize for this later...n-no...I can’t...Damn it! I can’t be falling for his words. I...god dang it all.

“I don’t expect to be best friends immediately, kid. I know it takes time when you’ve been hurt in the past… but just know that if you need me, for anything, all you have to do is ask. Anything. Deal?”

“...Deal,” Winslow mumbled slowly, crossing his arms defensively over his chest. “Please don’t hurt us ever again…” he asked gently now, his shoulders slumping. “I can’t bare to see her that way again. She hadn’t looked so pale since she found splattered brains of our abuser out back. She barely spoke.”

Dean let his eyes close, the picture of remorse as he sucked in a long, slow breath. “I will never be able to take that back. But I can make sure it never happens again.”
“You better.” He smiled again, pain seeping into his cheeks. “If it does then I will have no choice but to handle the consequences.” He paused, eyes closing as he attempted to calm his head. “I can’t believe I’m saying this, but thank you for trying to straighten things out.”

Nodding, Dean took a step back, resting a hand on the holster of his gun just as a habit. Noise downstairs, the sound of a door opening and then Carter’s voice, made him narrow his eyes. “Sounds like something’s going on down there, should probably make sure everything’s ok. But… I’m glad we had this conversation.” He held out a hand. “Thanks for being so… mature about this whole thing.”

“I’m sorry for hitting you,” Winslow muttered, a childish shine washing over his eyes. “That was wrong of me...let’s go…” He swallowed anxiously and forced himself up from the couch. He just wanted to see Bea and Evangeline now. That’s all he wanted. Dropping the ignored handshake and moving away from the door, Dean pulled it open, and started to go down but hesitated.

“Remind me one of these days to teach you how to throw a punch,” he said with a smirk, then descended the stairs into the chaos.

I’d rather shower with a bear, Winslow thought bitterly and with a small smile, followed Dean down.​

[fieldbox="Dexter | Jackson Mississippi | 1 October 2026 - Dusk, darkorange, solid"]

Returning back to the garage, Dex listened to Jesse's explanation of what had happened in their absence with a growing sense of dread, anger, and surprisingly, relief. But any true enjoyment he got out of the idea that Ryan and Sykes were going to get real medical treatment was dashed when he glanced over at Riley. Her expression, initially one of concern and confusion, had morphed into something smack dab in the middle of sorrow and betrayal. But he didn't get the chance to say anything, no words of comfort or encouragement, before she turned her shoulder and stepped away from them, disappearing into a back room.

Dex took a step to follow until the squealing of tires outside had him reaching for a weapon. Odds are it was their people returning, as the motor shut off right outside the door, but he kept his hand on the gun until Carter popped through the door, with a limp form carried in his arms. It took Dex a moment to realize who it was, since any light filtering through the windows had long since died. But when he did, he sprinted over, kneeling beside Evie as Carter sat her down. "What happened?" he demanded, and then he glanced between Jesse and Carter. "She was supposed to be resting, who's harebrained idea was it to let her go traipsing through the middle of a fucking hurricane?!"

INVENTORY (DEXTER)
Wearing
soggy black basketball shorts, long-sleeved camo shirt & black combat boots

On Person
Hunting Knife, with Sheath [on right leg]
.50 Cal Desert Eagle (15/15) [on left leg]
DD M4 Carbine V5 AR-15 (6/32) [holding]
hella anxiety

In Bag

.50cal Rounds x32
9mm Rounds x46
Minor First Aid Kit (mostly used)
Small LED Flashlight
Military Dogtags
Letter from his Father
Change of Clothing
Antibiotics & Assorted Medical Supplies
Fabric Daffodil

Food & Water
17oz Bottled Water [3]

[/fieldbox]​

4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Dexter

She wasn't conscious long enough to feel any impact from the fall. One minute she was walking fine and the next everything had just began to seem so bright. It didn't feel like any time had passed. Muffled voices fading into audio, stressed. Her head was pounding and as her vision seemed to return to her somewhat the awful ringing noise wasn't dissipating.

"Do you guys have to be so loud?" she groaned, weakly speaking.

On Person (Evie):
- Hunting Knife
- Bow (12 arrows)

Backpack/Room (Evie):
Items (3):
- Change of Outfit

Water (0):

Food (0):

Outfit:

[spoili]
jsaFlUa.jpg
[/spoili]