Mission: Z, IC

4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Dexter

Evie had followed Dexter inside, happily unslinging her quiver and bow with an elated sigh. It feel good not to have the strap digging into her as it had been for the whole journey. Setting the equipment down by the stairs, she looked up as Dexter spoke. Her brow softened and an empathetic sigh spilled from her lips.

"You know, only if you feel ready," she said, softly, approaching him and placing a hand on his arm. "I don't know what it is but... it sounds important so... take your time, if you need." Raising up onto her tiptoes, part from the man's superior height and part from his position on the stairs, she leaned in to plant a kiss on his lips.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Person (Evie):
- Hunting Knife
- Bow (20 arrows)

Backpack/Room (Evie):
Items (3):

- Blanket
- Hunting Knife
- Bow (20 arrows)
- Change of Outfit

Water (1):
- Canteen (60%)
-

Food (0):
-

Outfit:
[spoili]

RvJWtIy.jpg

[/spoili]​

[fieldbox="Dexter | Location: Ballamory HQ, darkorange, solid"]

uHBb1iN.jpg

"I'm ready." He replied. "I shouldn't have kept it a secret this long. The others need to know, too, but..." He trailed off, shrugging one shoulder. Truthfully, it filled him with an extreme amount of anxiety and dread to even think about bringing it up to Evie - and he was relatively sure she would believe him. The others, though... they'd probably think he was crazy. Hell, half the time he thought he was crazy. But it was a start, anyway. Something to work on. Keeping one hand on the rail, he brought the other to cup her cheek as she approached, leaning down to return the kiss. Breaking away, he leaned his forehead against hers and sighed. "I'm so sorry I was ever a jerk to you." He said sincerely.

At the sound of familiar voices outside, he released her, eyes flicking to the door. "I'm gonna-" he inclined his head up the staircase as the doorknob twisted, then took the stairs two at a time, wrenching the bloodied shirt off his back as he reached the top.

INVENTORY (DEXTER)
-------------------------
On Person
Items: 3
Glock G29 (15 in clip, box of 50)
Hunting Knife, with Sheath

Backpack/In Room
Items: 3
.50 Cal Desert Eagle (no rounds)
Minor First Aid Kit
Small LED Flashlight

Food: none
Water: none

[/fieldbox]​

Last edited by a moderator:
4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Dexter, Cecilio, Otto

A warm smile painted it's way right across her lips at his apology and the contact of his head resting upon hers. It'd been so long she had felt the feelings that surged through her system she could only stand blissfully on the stairs, completely adrift in her own serenity.

"And I'm sorry if I was ever a burden or annoying," she responded, her eyes opening and looking up at him. At the sound of the voices, she turned her attention to the door, though didn't forget to sneak a peek at Dex pulling his shirt off on his way up the stairs. Her sincere smile turned into a mischievous one at the sight. However, the others were coming through the door. She needed something to stop her looking incriminating. "And what time do you call this?" she asked, demandingly. At least teasing them would give reason to the smirk she couldn't seem to shift. That and that she did so enjoy being the annoyance she had previously apologised for. "What do you two gentleman have to say for yourselves? Hmm? You dirty stop-outs."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Person (Evie):
- Hunting Knife
- Bow (20 arrows)

Backpack/Room (Evie):
Items (3):

- Blanket
- Hunting Knife
- Bow (20 arrows)
- Change of Outfit

Water (1):
- Canteen (60%)
-

Food (0):
-

Outfit:
[spoili]

RvJWtIy.jpg

[/spoili]​

JW5Dxo6.jpg

Interactions:
N/A
The sound of birds was gone, the woods were falling quieter by the minute as the evening began to roll in. With his right hand caressing the hand-rail on his AR-15 rifle, Ryan got himself nice and comfy against a tree as he took the first watch of the night. Not that the others had gone to bed yet but after hearing that Jack had caught an infected in a snare, he couldn't be too cautious. Infected weren't much of a threat if you were smart. In the countryside, they were often too few and too slow to be nothing more than a minor inconvenience. Not like in the cities. No, the best thing he ever did was get out into the country, for him, his nephew and the whole of his group. Looking up, his eyes peered through the canopy of leaves above to feast upon the sight of darkening sky. It was beautiful. As he always said, it was one of the last sights witness-able by humans that hadn't been marred in some way by the infection.

Thank god for a lack of Space Zombies... he mused to himself with a slight smirk.

If all went well, the group would be at Minden within the next two days. Once they had gotten a lay of the land in the woods and done the proper threat assessments - meaning until Jack was no longer uneasy - they could begin foraging closer to town. For now, though, the trees offered needed cover and safety; that was something Ryan didn't want to give up so easily.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Items on Person:
- AR-15 (62x 5.56 rounds, 2 mags, 2 loose rounds)
- FAK (Bandages, Disinfectant, Plasters)
- Copy of 'Marching Orders' (his best selling novel)
- Knife
- Canteen
- Snack bars
- Torch

Otto Williams
Interaction: Evie, Dex and Cecilio
-

Otto had seen the tail end of Dex running up the stairs before Evie started to speak, Dex seemed to be in a rush to get up the steps if the sounds of his feet were any indication. He narrowed his eyes at Evie in a playful fashion. "Now I just heard Dex running up the stairs as Jesse and I walk in...you and him weren't doing something that would make Jesus sad were you?" He spoke in an exaggerated tone and his head at an incline like a scolding parent or teacher before a smirk found it's way to his face as he looked to Evie. "We come bearing gifts!" He spoke to her as he pulled the cart in with him showing the haul of clothes, ammo, weapons, arrows, arrowheads, food and other assorted things. "Otto and Cecilio's one stop miscellaneous emporium of survival needs." Anyone could tell that Otto was much more cheerful than normal due to the large find he and Jesse had brought back. "DEX GET YOUR SKINNY ASS DOWN HERE, WE GOT YOU A COUPLE OF PRESENTS!" He yelled up the stairs before grabbing a shirt from the cart that looked about Evie's size and threw it to her. "We had to guesstimate your and Dex's sizes but I think we did well enough, got clothes for the coming cold months and some more clothes for these last few months of summer. Also found some arrowheads and arrow shafts for your bow." He said in a more subdued tone to Evie as Jesse was walking in behind him.
-----

On person/backpack
-
1x PTR91 rifle (caliber 7.62x51/308)
4x 20rnd magazines
1x knife
1x canteen (Full)
Backpack (At apartment):
300x ammunition
13x magazines
1x medkit

Cecilio & Ringo
b279110537109996be51a2f5a9dc7654.png
Interactions: Otto, Evie, Dex

Cecilio followed in closing the door behind him causing Ringo to bound over excitedly and waggle his body in excitement of his masters return. Cecilio huffed and yawned petting the dog and looking to Evie "If your gonna be snippy then I'll take back our presents." Cecilio threatened in a mock tone "If you must know we've gotten quite a haul of a lot of nice things. Evie, Otto and I are going to be teaching you a few new things. Particularly how to butcher and hunt larger animals." Cecilio said undoing the tie-downs so they could unload the cart. "We've got guns, food, and all other sorts of goods." He commented in turn to what Otto said. "Also we got stuff for Hero and Ringo so they can carry stuff on them now and save us some extra weight." He stated though knowing Evie she wouldn't care as much about that as she did for her arrows. "We also now can all do silent hunting thanks to some Crossbows." He said pulling out the few boxes he managed to procure. He unloaded and sorted things as they were of course laying everything out so it could be accounted for and recorded as needed by everyone present. "As of now the reign of PB&J is now over." Cecilio said slightly relived they actually had more menu options than a simple sandwich. "I'll help sort but after this I'm going home and taking a nap..."He said tiredly not having been sleeping very well and refusing to take any medications as he didn't deem it a urgency.

--------------------------
Inventory
1x Colt Le901-16s w/ 4-14x scope & bayonet
3x Rifle Magazines (4 loaded)
1x P226 Pistol (9mm)
2x Pistol Magazines (2 loaded)
1x Large canteen ( 2/4 Full)
1x Bowie Knife

At Apartment:
2 lb's of dog kibble
Assorted hygiene items
1x 7 string acoustic guitar
1x Trauma kit
1x Pump Shotgun
12x 12G buckshot
Condiments
1x Riot Gear suit

uHBb1iN.jpg

Making his way down the hall, Dexter was too far away to hear Otto's suggestive quip, but he did hear the man yell after him. He sounded like he was in a good mood - perfect, that meant they likely had decent success in finding supplies. Today seemed to be going remarkably well for all parties involved. He certainly wasn't going to complain, anyway. Meandering down to the hallway bathroom, as he'd opted to give Evie the master bed and bath when they situated rooms, he took a three minute shower, brushed his teeth, then slunk across the hall to his bedroom to change and dispose of the bloodied shirt.

He returned downstairs as Jesse was finishing his conversion, redressed in a sleeveless shirt and basket ball shorts that were much more comfortable than wearing jeans all day. Eyes took in the haul they'd brought back, widening at the sight. "Holy hell, safe to say you guys were successful. This is great, good job. Did you run into any trouble on the road?" He was perhaps talking a bit faster than usual but hoped that it would be written off as due to his rapid descent of the stairs.

INVENTORY (DEXTER)
On Person
Items: 0

Backpack/In Room
Items: 6
Glock G29 (15 in clip, box of 50)

Minor First Aid Kit
Small LED Flashlight

[/fieldbox]​

4nAuzQs.jpg

Interactions: Dexter, Cecilio, Otto

Evie simply blinked rapidly in response to the tidal wave of information from the two men in the hall with her. In truth, a lot of what they were saying was falling on deaf ears, mind off wandering elsewhere. However, she visibly shifted and her ears twitched when the mention of clothes came about and... arrows!

"Nice..." she hummed, desperately juggling the items so not to drop them before getting them to her room. Turning to move towards the stairs slightly, she heard the comment about butchering large animals, a horrible feeling swelling in her gut. "Err... thanks but I'll pass," she smiled, uneasily, trying to pass up on the offer with as much politeness as she could muster. "I'm just going to take this stuff upstairs!"

Given that Dexter had decided to take a shower, she arrived back with the others much sooner than he did, finding her way to any form of nearby chair so that she could rest her legs. The sensation came with a relieved groan as she hoisted her feet upwards, free from the prison of shoes. She didn't imagine that the smell would have been pleasant, yet she was certain Otto and Cecilio had smelled worse. Still, when Dex walked back in she didn't want to risk it. She threw her feet back to the floor and looked to him as he walked through.

"Holy hell!" she parroted in a fake, corny American accent as she wobbled her head side to side. "You Americans talk like cartoon characters sometimes, I swear..." she giggled to herself.

On Person (Evie):
- Hunting Knife
- Bow (20 arrows)

Backpack/Room (Evie):
Items (3):

- Blanket
- Hunting Knife
- Bow (20 arrows)
- Change of Outfit

Water (1):
- Canteen (60%)
-

Food (0):
-

Outfit:
[spoili]

RvJWtIy.jpg

[/spoili]​

Aveline

tumblr_o29zqeeKhl1qfvouao1_1280.jpg

Whether it was the paranoid voices at the back of her head or the occasional roach scattering at her feet, Aveline's mind refused to rest. Her legs no longer ached, her stomach wasn't full but was able to keep itself from growling, and no matter how tight she shut her eyes they'd open up and stare at the ceiling. She finally sat up, brought her knees up and hugged them, thinking. Letting out a breath, she hadn't known what to do and stood, shrugging on her bag and picking up her bat and made her way to the store's front entrance.

Using the minimum light from the moons crescent to follow broken up trails, she knew in the back of her mind where she was dragging herself to. They packed all that equipment, had multiple people, the most definitely had a base. Aveline knew since the crisis she had become careless with her life, but was just barging into a living base, who were most likely armed, worth it? 'What about food? And water?' The thought of stealing to take care of herself, her hand smacked her forehead. Nevertheless, she continued the trail until she saw lights and ducked into the trees.

A cul-de-sac, bar fence protecting it, she followed around the fence until she found a back gate entrance. She stepped closer to the fence and wrapping her hands around the bars. "Is that a..tennis court?" she mumbled to herself before looking at the gates lock, no way to open from outside but... She was able to stick her arm through and find the lock and turn the gate open, closing it behind her (leaving it unlocked).

"Dans et hors." She told herself before ducking behind the first house and looked into its windows, attempting to push a window open and to her surprise it opened, once she jumped and climb in, she took a second to look around then shook her head. 'No time to waste.' Steeping quietly throughout the home, she had found a med-kit and smiled; 'Definitely will come in handy.' Not bothering to test her luck she exited the way she came yet wasn't able to close it behind her. Next, she came upon what looked to be a unfinished building and decided not to bother look.

(( "In and out." ))

Soon, Aveline came upon a home that was closer to the cul-de-sac's entrance and entered the same way she had before. Opening the window and climbed inside, a couple things she had found: Hygiene items, thanking herself; the other item was dog kibble, which she cursed herself when she attempted to go back to exit through the window and found the dog, a german shepard. The dog grumbling at her. "Chut." she put a finger to her lips. "Pour l'amour de dieu." Only for the dog to end up growling at her. "Okay... okay..You're protecting your owner, I'm not gonna kill you but..." she began to slowly raise her bat immediately triggering the dog to bark. She jolted and ran to the door and to her luck the gate, unlocking it slowed her down a tad but was able to run out and into the woods.

(( "Hush."
"For the love of God."
))

Items:

ON PERSON:
- Navy blue cardigan
- Jeans
- Worn sneakers
- Metal bat (weapon)

IN PACK:
- Corey's stuffed animal
- Picture of Aveline and Corey
- Pistol
- 12x pistol rounds
- 2x Bottle water
- Canned fruit Eaten
- 2x canned beans
- Dark green coat
- Small paperback "Survival for the Weak" book
- (Recently collected) 1x Med-kit
- (Recently Collected) 1x Hygiene Item

rsz_151218-news-shadowhunters-katherine-mcnamara.jpg

Interactions: Conner

Mentioned: Wesley

Riley winced as she was knocked to the ground once again.
"This feels less like sparring and more like payback for me eating your last Oreo" She said as she looked up at Conner from position on the ground. The two were suppose to be working on her hand to hand combat. But with as much time as she was spending on the ground, it might as well been grappling practice.

Conner smirked at Riley's comment.
"I have way better things to worry about then a cookie Riley. Even if I had been saving said cookie. But it doesn't matter. What does matter, is for you to learn how to effectively use your weight against an opponent. Now if in the mean time I accidentally end up throwing you around to show you the correct way. Then it's all in the name of learning." He said before holding out a hand to help Riley up.

"In the name of learning you say...Yeah right." Riley muttered to herself as she allowed Conner to help her up. After months of traveling with the man Riley was aware of how he could twist words. Plus the stupid grin that refused to leave his face was more then enough proof. He was enjoying this. "You know it's a real gift to sound that innocent when your face gives away your true intentions."

"Yet you still like me." Conner teased. Riley rolled her eyes and crossed her arms before she smirked at Conner. "Drats, I knew I should of went for Wes. Maybe it's not to late" She teased as she turned away from Conner to pretend to look for Wesley. Though before she could move Conner's arms wrapped around her waist and swung her around. "What was that? I'm not sure I heard you." Conner asked as he continued to playfully swing Riley around.

Riley laughed as she tried to escape Conner's grip.
"It was nothing." She said in between laughter. "That's what I thought. Now let's get back to practicing before you come up with any other bright idea's." Conner said before he placed Riley back down and smirked at her. Riley looked back at Conner and smirked. "Oh trust me i'm just full of bright ideas." She said before she continued their sparring.

rsz_conner1.jpg

Cecilio & Ringo
Interactions: Avie, Otto
After a few hours of splitting up supplies to everyone and giving everyone everything Cecilio took his leave with Ringo taking his share of the haul. Of course he went home and took a nap while Ringo gnawed away on a knotted rope that had been made for him by his owner. As night came Cecilio overslept longer than he expected though id didn't bother him just giving him reason to catch up on his rest.

Cecilio was soundly asleep upstairs as he didn't even hear the intruder come into his home but he woke up the moment he heard Ringo start to bark. He promptly grabbed his pistol and moved downstairs clearing the house and seeing the window open with Ringo missing. He heard the dog barking and howling up a storm serving as an alarm of sorts which meant he had given chase though he didn't catch the person. He quickly ran upstairs throwing on his boots and going out the door and heading to where he heard Ringo's barks. "Shit. Fuck. Ass. Balls. Cunt. Dick. Damn it! Fuck!" He swore under his breath as he clambered out the window to help Ringo.

Ringo bounded after the woman only lagging behind due to her hoping out the window which gave her a modest head start though the pooch was on her tail. When she closed the gate Ringo slammed into it barking and snarling causing a ruckus that could be heard around the cul-de-sac. The dog barked and howled loudly and was likely not so cease unless stopped by one of the group. The dog tried his best to push his way through the fence and soon the snarls turned to whines with loud barks still being mixed in.

Cecilio arrived to see a figure heading into the distant woods and he raised his pistol taking aim and letting off 5 rounds in their direction "MOTHERFUCKER!!!!" Cecilio shouted hushing Ringo by giving the pooches collar a firm tug calming the dog and giving him acknowledgement of his deed. Ringo now circled whining loudly wanting to tail the person but Cecilio worried about the others knowing if someone got in then Otto was likely in danger given he didn't have a dog like him or Dex. "Shit..."He murmured quickly heading to Otto's home his pistol holstered on his hip. "Come on Ringo!" He said as the dog followed quickly as he ran to Otto's "Otto!"

Inventory
1x P226 Pistol (9mm)
1x Bowie Knife

At Apartment:
2 lb's of dog kibble
Assorted hygiene items
1x Trauma kit
1x Pump Shotgun
12x 12G buckshot
Condiments
1x Riot Gear suit

Last edited:
Otto
Interaction: Cecilio
-

He had popped up when he heard the gunfire, his rifle had been next to his bed and was in his hands in an instant as old training took over. He cleared house number five room by room until he made it to the main living area where he saw one of the back windows open that wasn't before. He looked over at the stuff he had left in the living area and saw his pack was still there, closer inspection showed that most of his small things were there as well but he did see his medkit was gone. "Sonofabitch." He said quietly to himself before heading out the door to see Jesse coming up the street to him with Ringo. "Oi Jesse you alright? My medkit is gone and a window is open that wasn't when I went to sleep." Otto's eyes were slowly adjusting to the dark so he was making out Cecilio's features and seeing that he was not visibly injured reassured the older man that Jesse hadn't been injured. "I assume you were taking those shots correct?" Otto asked as he shifted on his feet looking around for anything or anyone else that might have got in..."Shit I need to go check the back gate, you stay here and tell Dex what happened cause I am sure as hell he is awake." Otto said as he moved off towards the back of house five to see if the rear gate was open or not.

Cecilio & Ringo
Interactions: Otto
Cecilio nodded as he placed his hands on his head and rubbed the back of his head tiredly and out of frustration. He shivered the cool night air nipping at him reminding him he should of at least put a shirt on. He sat on the curb his rush wearing of and his hands a little shaky. He felt Ringo push against him and he gently reached around patting the dog and rubbing his head "Good boy Ringo!" He assured the dog he had done well and offered some encouragement. He was just glad Otto was fine given the fact that he didn't have the fortune of having a dog to watch him. He prepared mentally for Dex knowing he probably wasn't going to be happy how this was handled but it was dealt with though he was ready to explain his actions if needed. He took his pistol out of its holster and examined his magazine after ejecting it. He counted 14 rounds left and 1 in the chamber. He quickly flipped the safety on and holstered his weapon once more going back to petting Ringo finding it relaxing and helping him to calm down again.

Inventory
1x P226 Pistol (9mm)
1x Bowie Knife

At Apartment:
2 lb's of dog kibble
Assorted hygiene items
1x Trauma kit
1x Pump Shotgun
12x 12G buckshot
Condiments
1x Riot Gear suit

[fieldbox="Wesley | Location: North of Ballamory, lawngreen, solid"]

6hmYQT7.jpg

Night had settled around them once again, and the group found themselves as per usual surrounded by nothing but trees and bugs. Wesley lay on top of his sleeping bag, staring at the hypnotic pattern of the dancing campfire and listening to his friends sparring, the grunts of exertion permeated occasionally by the sound of flesh smacking flesh, or twigs cracking under a body as it went to the ground. It wasn't even midnight from what he could tell, but he was tired, and didn't understand how the two went at it for so long after walking damn near all day. Jack and his uncle seemed to agree with his views on energy conservation, but Riley and Conner were insane. Stifling a yawn with the back of his hand, Wes let his head drop back on to the sleeping bag, draping an arm over his eyes.

"Drats, I knew I should of went for Wes. Maybe it's not too late."

At the mention of his name, Wes rolled his eyes, lifting his arm off his face just long enough to roll over, stare deadpan at Riley, and reply.
"Sorry Riles, I have a strict code that I don't date girls who can beat me up." They continued, and Wes rolled back over, shaking his head. He let his eyes drift closed, anticipating sleep, but was jolted awake by a very loud series of noises in rapid succession. He shot up, blinking away the sleep that had been so close to overtaking him. "Were those gunshots?" He whispered, though unnecessarily, as the insect life had fallen silent as the rest of them at the noises.

BACKPACK (WESLEY)
Items: -
I'll do this shit later coz I'm lazy

[/fieldbox]​

rsz_conner1.jpg

Interactions: Wesley & Riley
Mentioned: Ryan & Jack

Conner laughed at Wesley's comment towards Riley.
"That's all on you Wes. If you would of accepted my offer to train a long time ago. You wouldn't have to worry about her being able to beat you." He said before he grabbed Riley's wrist mid punch. Riley looked up at Conner and glared before she tried to pull her arm away. But before she got the chance to Conner spun her around and effectively pinned her arm to her back. "Nice try. Just remember sneak attacks can be very effective but they don't always go your way." He coached, before releasing Riley and nodding for her to try again.

Conner had been about to prepare himself for Riley's next attack but he froze when he heard the repeated gunshots.
"Were those gunshots?" Wesley asked. "I sounded like..." Conner faltered not only in his sentence but his stance as well. Riley had swung a nice right hook to Conner's chin while he had been distracted. "Oh my god! Why didn't you block!" Riley said as she rushed to Conner to get a closer look at his face.

"I was distracted. Don't worry about it i'm fine. We have more pressing things to worry about right now." Conner was already on high alert but from the strange look Riley was giving him. He was pretty sure the teen had missed the gunshots. "Gunshots Riles. That's what distracted me." It was only then that Riley started to frantically look around. Conner resisted the urge to chuckle at Riley's actions. If there was one thing Conner admired about Riley. It would be how she put her all into everything she did. It showed in her combat training...that punch actually hurt. But since she was so focused on that she missed the sounds of the gunshot. Conner would have to make sure that he gave her a lesson on observation next.

"Gunshots? What should we do?" Riley asked as she looked to Conner anxiously. "How about you get our things gathered and Wes and I will get Jack and Ryan. I'm not sure if we'll head away from the shots or if we'll head to them. But I doubt we'll going to be staying here with how close it sounded." Conner said before he looked over to his childhood friend. "Let's find your uncle and Jack."
While Wesley and Conner went to go gather the rest of their little group. Riley started to pack her's and Conner's bags.

rsz_151218-news-shadowhunters-katherine-mcnamara.jpg

JW5Dxo6.jpg

Interactions:
Wes, Conner, Riley
Hearing the snap of gunfire in rapid succession in the distance, Ryan rose to his feet quickly. Had Jack gotten himself in trouble? He was loathsome of Jack's midnight excursions, anyway. Thinking the man an idiot for doing his recon in the dark. Still, Jack had never seemed to run into an issue, possibly until now...

Heading straight back into the main area of the camp, his hand gripping the angled foregrip of his rifle tightly, he looked to the others. "Sounds like we got gunfire in the distance - could be Jack, could be something else. Either way, I'm going to go out there and find out," he explained. He knew they'd jump at the opportunity to go with him so before even giving them a chance to respond he continued. "Now, I need you guys to stay here. Snuff the fire, keep a perimeter up for as long as you possibly can." He looked directly to his nephew. "You run into any trouble, you let off three solid shots into the sky, you hear me? Do that and go. Take only what you can grab in a heartbeat." He turned, heading away from the camp site before looking back. "Worst comes to pass, we meet at the Minden town hall."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Items on Person:
- AR-15 (62x 5.56 rounds, 2 mags, 2 loose rounds)
- FAK (Bandages, Disinfectant, Plasters)
- Copy of 'Marching Orders' (his best selling novel)
- Knife
- Canteen
- Snack bars
- Torch

Reactions: Himilo

tumblr_inline_mlxe3isKDo1qz4rgp.gif
tumblr_inline_nsw4q532Rw1szivcw_500.gif

Evie
& Dexter
Ballamory, #1

(warning, this post contains slight mature themes [aka sappy romance], but is still PG-13)

---

With the business at HQ resolved, the evening started to close in quickly. The darkening sky surrendered completely to the black vaults of the night and the stars dotted the earth's ceiling like lanterns. A clear night. Dexter sank into the chair that Evie's feet had just vacated, palming his face tiredly. Watching Cecilio and Otto leave, Evie nibbled at her bottom lip.

"I'll be right back," she said, looking to Dex. She didn't wait for a response, merely darted up the stairs. Finding her room, she unbuttoned her shirt, casting it onto the bed, her trousers following not long after. Her hands instinctively reached for the clasp of her bra, yet realizing Dex was still downstairs she thought better of it. She snuggled into her pyjamas with a blissful sigh. The feather-light pink t-shirt and tartan-patterned shorts were much more comfortable than the button up shirt and tight-fitting trousers she had been wearing previously.

She skirted the edge of her room, finding her backpack sitting in the corner. Delving inside, she rummaged about it's contents, finding what she was looking for not long after - a blanket and a bottle of whisky.

Yawning, Dexter crossed his arms on the table, resting his forehead on top of them and closing his eyes, hearing Evie bang around upstairs. How she ever snuck up on me and Otto is a mystery that will haunt me to my grave. He thought back to that day, their first interaction, the standoff with her bow and his knife. She'd looked so scared and desperate, and the first thing he'd done was criticize and insult her. How she put up with his assholery long enough to get to this point was also a mystery to him. Dexter absentmindedly ran his fingers across the knuckles of his right hand, feeling the scars there from where the skin had split from the force of his punches at the hotel, and staring at a spot on the wall without actually seeing it as his mind wandered back to the events of that day. It was a little confusing how their relationship had progressed a lot in the last few months - from standoffish acquaintances to good friends, and, now, well… more, he guessed. But surviving together at the end of the world did that: brought people together. The more unlikely the better.

Now that his brain was working in that direction, the idea of sleep was no longer desirable, and he sat back up with a thoughtful sigh, eyes flicking to the pile of goodies that Otto and Cecilio had left. He reached down to grab the first thing off the pile, a dog harness complete with bags on the side, not unlike the one Hero had been trained to wear to carry his mother's oxygen tanks. Seeing it, the dog tilted his head and approached, tail wagging tentatively. "She's not coming back, pal, sorry." Dexter told the dog, rubbing him under the chin. He tried to adjust it to what he figured was the right size, but the packaging had those annoying plastic zip-ties across the buckles, impossible to remove by hand. Tossing the harness on to the table, he got up and headed up the stairs to grab his knife where he'd left it with the rest of his gear.

As he got to the top of the staircase, he heard Evie's voice and turned towards her room curiously, stepping towards the open door.

"Hello, beautiful," she growled, twisting the bottle around in her hands. "Why don't we get you out of that top?" Her hands gripped the lid of the bottle, twisting as hard as she could to no avail. "Oh come on!" she protested, sighing with a sulky expression. "Bugger."

Dexter leaned against the doorframe with his arms crossed and brows raised curiously. She was half-turned away from him, so he nudged the door with his foot to announce his presence. "Are you trying to seduce that bottle or are you just practicing?"

"Yes, I often spend my evenings sweet talking bottles of alcohol, Dexter. I thought you'd have realized that by now?" she smirked. "Care to help me out?" she asked, holding the bottle out towards him for him to try taking the lid off.

"Hey I don't judge." He replied, crossing the room and taking the bottle, turning it over to inspect the label - a brand he'd never heard of before. Shrugging, he twisted the cap free, screwed it back on and handed it back. "You sure you wanna drink after today?" He was of course referring to the trap, and the suspicion there might be other people around.

"I don't know... I just thought it'd be nice to get a little bit close to a point where I can forget we're in a crazy prepper's wet dream," she said, frowning a little bit at the ease with which he opened the bottle. However, she refrained from throwing out the classic 'I loosened that' excuse.

"So you just gonna take swigs out of the bottle or what?" He asked, eyeing her as if he didn't believe she was enough of a drinker to stomach such a thing.

"Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last," she shrugged with a mischievous grin.

"Well I will admit that a little liquid courage wouldn't be a bad idea if we're gonna have this conversation after all. So let's get this party started, I guess." He held his hand out for the bottle, a wordless request she acquiesced to without hesitation. Not before taking a swig herself, of course.

"I don't remember whiskey ever tasting this strong..." she grimaced. "Then again, I've always been a gin girl."

"That's because it's cheap." He replied, steeling himself for a moment before following suit. Ah, god that was nasty. "And warm."

"Okay, Mr.On-The-Rocks, I'm afraid we don't have any ice laying about in our finest of accommodation," she chuckled.

He stuck his tongue out at her. "Your loss." Taking another swallow, he handed the bottle back and looked at her. "We gonna do this up here or you wanna take it elsewhere?"

"Here's... here's fine," she answered, somewhat seriously. A part of her instinctively wanted to make a teasing remark about his wording, yet she knew how close to his heart he seemed to be holding the topic. Still, she didn't want to depress him further. "Wearing pyjamas, sitting in my room drinking cheap alcohol... kind of reminds me of uni. Well, apart from the flesh crazed maniacs wandering the streets... actually, no - no it reminds me of uni." Her jesting was maybe somewhat too forced, yet still. She didn't want him to feel upset any further.

"Alright calm down. I'm supposed to be the one nervous about this whole thing." He said, sensing her trepidation. "I'll be right back." Turning, he quit the room and padded down the hallway to his own, fishing something out of his jacket pocket before returning to Evie. "Do you mind?" He asked, pointing at the bed for permission to sit. Even two swigs in and his head was already starting to swim. In a pleasant way, but still.

"Sure," she replied, sunnily. "The floor was starting to get uncomfortable for me too." Clambering to her feet, she sat down on the edge of the bed, patting the open spot next to her. "Plonk yourself down."

He did, taking a breath and handing Evie the crumpled piece of paper he held in his hands and reaching for the bottle again. "That's from my father. He gave it to me the day he… died." A saddened expression dashed across her face, her fingers finding the paper before she unfolded all of the creases. Her eyes visibly moved from side of to side as she focused clearly on each and every word.

"Immunity?"
The word spilled from her lips as if it were completely foreign to her, her brow furrowed in confusion before she looked up at Dex. "What does that...?" she gasped.

"He was a scientist." Dexter started. "Involved in the original vaccine." Rubbing a hand across his face, he paused a moment before continuing. "After everything went down, he threw himself into finding a solution. Not a cure, because once the parasite is in you, there's no known way to remove it without killing the host. But an immunity. Another vaccine."

"And you have to get the only living sample of this vaccine to Washington..." she continued, everything starting make complete sense.

"That's the idea." He said quietly. "It's what I was doing when we met. It was the only goal I had because it was the only thing I could focus on in the aftermath of this… mess. But my dad… he wasn't exactly the most stable of people towards the end. So… there's a big chance that he's wrong. Which is why I haven't mentioned it to anyone else before. We have a good thing going here." He waved a hand vaguely around the room, though meaning all of Ballamory. "I couldn't abandon you guys, and I couldn't in good conscience ask any of you to come with me. The east coast is too populated, there will be Infected all over the place." He shook his head, a fourth swallow of liquor following the first three. "It's a pipe dream."

Evie's heart was racing, a million thoughts of a million possibilities ran through her head like a stampede of horses - heart was mimicking the sound at least. If they could find a cure, they might be able to reverse the whole situation they were in, she might even be able to go home. Still, that was in the future. Now was now. Her hands found their way down to rest on the closest of his. "Dex, if there's even the slightest of chance your dad was right. Don't you think we should try?" she asked, nuzzling herself into his shoulder.

"It would mean putting everyone in danger to get there." His voice was just over a whisper. "And abandoning everything we've built here." He sucked in a breath, letting it out slowly through his nostrils. "Besides," he said, bringing his other hand around to stroke her hair. "You're the only one here who'd believe me, anyway. Otto and Jesse don't exactly seem like the optimistic type."

"Then they'd be idiots if they didn't believe you," she said sweetly and quietly. "I won't pressure you or tell you what's the wrong and right thing to do but... if there was a chance to make things go back to how they were..."

Dexter shook his head. "Things will never go back to the way they were. Maybe it will get better, but… it will never be normal again."

"I don't know," she hummed, placing a kiss on his shoulder. "I'm in my bedroom, with a bottle of alcohol, having a heart to heart conversation with my badass boyfriend." She smirked, tilting her head to the side as her eyes peered up at him. "I'd say this is better than normal."

"Boyfriend?" He quirked a brow, glad for the change in topic. Even though she said she wouldn't pressure him into trying for DC, or even telling the others, it was obviously she very much held out hope that he would. "I don't remember you ever asking me to go steady. I thought this was supposed to be a one night stand."

"If you value your testicles being attached to your torso it won't be... dick," she giggled.

Wincing, he drew away from her. "That is entirely not necessary, and in fact is quite mean. I don't think you're drunk enough." He reached to pick the bottle up off the floor where he'd put it, holding it out to her.

"You know what they say," she began as she took the bottle and took a deep swig. "Play with fire, you get burned," she smiled, wryly as she held up a lock of her hair. She took another swig, grimacing at the taste and sensation of the alcohol. Speaking of fire, with the warmth of the alcohol and its positively chemical qualities, it tasted like she was swallowing it. "This stuff is so grim," she groaned.

"You stop tasting it after a while." He told her, taking the bottle back. Between the two of them so far they'd nearly halved it. "We should probably slow down." He frowned. "If this is the only bottle you have."

"Good *hiccup* idea," she said, nodding rapidly.

He squinted at her, feigning disappointment. "So much for being a wild college student, eh? I must say I expected more." With a dramatic sigh, he twisted the top back onto the bottle and replaced it on the floor.

"Oh no you bloody don't! And that's wild uni student, actually! Bloody Americans and their broken education system..." she ranted, swooping down like an eagle to reclaim the bottle. Popping off the lid with ease, she turned the bottom of the bottle skyward, taking what must have been a treble's-worth of the spirit. Bringing the bottle back to her side, she smirked at him proudly with a victorious look on her face... for about the best part of three seconds. The burn of the spirit, and even worse the taste, caught up with her in what felt like a tidal wave of regret and her face showed it.

"Oh fucks sake Evie I was joking!" Dexter protested with a horrified expression, leaning in to wrestle the bottle away. "Give me that you crazy woman." She fought him back, laying back onto the bed and trying to roll away from his grasp.

"No, no, no, no... you expected more," she giggled. "You're gonna... gonna get more."

"And you're gonna get alcohol poisoning."
As his hands grasped at her once more, trying snatch at the bottle and pull her back close, her giggling only continued. She curled up into a fetal position, cradling the bottle in close to her stomach.

"What's the magic word?" she demanded.

"Sorry, I don't negotiate with terrorists." He narrowed his eyes seriously at her. "I didn't want to have to do this, but…" He let out a sigh, as if truly regretting what he was about to do. And then his fingers found her ribcage, tickling mercilessly.

"S-stop!" she squealed, body convulsing as she tried to protest through the gaps in her involuntary laughter. "And... ah! - and I'm the b-bloody terrorist? I'm... I'm British anyway... h-how can I be a - stop it - how can I be a terrorist? By burning your crumpets!?" Her laughter continued about long enough that her stomach was starting to hurt.

"Sorry, no negotiations." Dex said, pausing only long enough to attempt to snatch the bottle away from her again. His hand closed around the neck of it and he pulled, capitalizing on the redhead's lack of focus and strength. The bottle slid from her grasp accompanied by a protesting gasp.

"Spoil sport," she said, sticking out her tongue as she rolled onto her back.

Holding the bottle away at arm's length, Dexter grinned. "Now seeing as I just saved you from dying of alcohol poisoning, that doesn't sound very grateful." He shook the pitiful amount that was left in the bottle, sighing sadly. "Well, no sense in leaving this little tease, is there?" Making sure that he was at the ready to intercept Evie should she attempt anything, he uncapped the bottle and killed the rest of it, fighting the urge to gasp in disgust when it was empty. "Remind me to teach you where the good stuff is kept next time we salvage a liquor store." Tossing the empty bottle on to the floor, he dropped back onto the bed next to Evie, propped up on an elbow so he could look down at her. "You ok over there hotshot? You look like you're gonna either pass out or throw up."

"I will admit the room is spinning a fair bit," she said, laughing a lot more than the comment warranted. A cherry blush kissed her cheeks, a clear sign of how much alcohol she'd had. "It's Aoibheann, by the way."

He blinked in confusion. "Ay-veen?" He repeated slowly. "Your name?"

"Hmmhmm," she nodded. "I just find Evie's... easier."

"It's a pretty name." He said finally. "Fits you."

"I don't know... the only person who called me that was my mother. Everyone else just called me Evie. I guess, I guess I just wanted you to know, y'know? If we're going to continue... this," she spoke, arms waving all over in a terrible attempt at summarizing their feelings for each other. "I guess you ought to know my real name."

Dodging a flailing hand, Dexter nodded. "Well if we're sharing names, mine is Dexter Bastian Fletcher." He snorted. "Pretentious, isn't it?" Normally the girl would have laughed or at least snickered at the comment, though she remained silent this time. Her eyes peered up at the ceiling as a single tear painted a path down the side of her cheek, hitting the covers on the bed and dissipating across the fabric.

"Hey." He said, noticing her distress though for the life of him unable to identify the cause. "Evie? You ok?"

"Hmm?" She looked at him, quickly wiping her cheek realizing what was happening. "Oh, I'm... I'm sorry. It's just... we were talking about your dad and... the cure. It got me thinking - I can't pretend to understand how you felt about that loss - but I just can't help but think I'll never see my mom and dad ever again, y'know? I guess... I guess it's easier to have people call me Evie here cause if they called me by my real name all the time I wouldn't be able to pretend they don't exist, anymore."

Sobered a bit at the sudden change in the mood of the conversation, Dexter frowned. "You're not supposed to pretend like they don't exist." He told her. "For all we know, the disaster hasn't even made it across the sea. Don't give up hope."

"I know," she said, nodding, even though she didn't believe the words she was saying. "I'm sorry," she said, in a suddenly more chipper tone, rolling onto her side so she was facing Dex. "I guess the alcohol has hit me more than I thought."

"Well if the last time I got drunk holds any similarity in timeframe of the last time you got drunk, I understand why." He mumbled, the words slow so he didn't stumble over his own tongue, which felt heavy in his mouth. "Just… try not to think about it too much - at least not until we know for sure. No sense in you upsetting yourself when it's not needed. I don't like seeing you cry."

"I'm sorry,"
she said, breathily and quiet, before snuggling up close into his chest.

"No need to be." The arm he wasn't leaning on went around her, and he kissed the top of her head. "It's just frustrating when you're upset and I can't punch something to make it better." He let out a quick snort of laughter, trying to bring the mood up. "You know. Male ego and all that."

Her blue eyes glistened through the tears as she looked up at him, a demure giggle spilling from her lips at the comment. "Thank you. I mean it..." she uttered. Shuffling her way up slightly, the next kiss traded between them was her lips seeking out his. "I promise I'll try not to cry too often, then," she smiled, the flow of tears seeming to stop on command. She wiped her wetted cheeks again before placing another kiss on the tip of his nose. "That's a promise I'll keep."

Dexter leaned in to steal another kiss, fingers tracing patterns on her back through the thin top. "You should get some sleep." He said finally, sitting up and taking a moment to still his swimming head. "I have a feeling that at least one of us is going to have a massive hangover in the morning and I hope for your sake that it's me."

"Wait," she interrupted, sitting up and putting her arms around the back of his neck. "Stay, please?"

He turned to look at her, uncertainty plain in his gaze. "Evie, you're drunk. Also I'm drunk."

"And your point is?" she asked.

"I… well…" He faltered. "I guess... just… are you sure?"

"I'm sure," she insisted, though her tone was soft. She nodded her head slowly, trying to focus for a moment. "Only if you want to... I mean... I'm not going to cry again or anything."

"Alright, no, it's fine. I just wanted to make sure it was Evie talking and not the whiskey. We should get some sleep, though." He said, very pointedly.

"Oh, shut up,"
she gasped, pressing her lips against his passionately, an action returned by Dexter without hesitation or complaint. She didn't know if it was her own motivation spurring her onward or just a manifestation of dutch courage. Still, she didn't want to take no for an answer. Sleep seemed... unappealing. She was too drunk for that. She hadn't felt this good in a long time and she wasn't going to waste it on sleep.

Without breaking the kiss, Dexter shifted on the bed so that he was facing her completely, her arms still wrapped around his neck. Emboldened by the alcohol coursing through his system, he deepened the kiss. His right hand slid down to Evie's hip, pulling her into him while at the same time taking them both down closer to the mattress. The girl didn't seem to offer any protest. In fact, Evie was so enamoured with the kiss, it didn't seem she was aware of much of anything else.

Before long the two were laid across the mattress, Dex atop her, lying just to her side. Their lips continued to touch tentatively as if dancing with one another, the kiss breaking and then reinvigorating. As they continued this routine, Evie's lips parted against his slightly, her hands leaving their hold near his neck as they began to become somewhat more adventurous. One found it's way to the back of his head, fingers running through his hair and the other resting on his shoulder. His own wandering fingers found the hem of her shirt and explored beneath it, fingertips stroking the curve of her hip. Finally releasing her mouth, his lips moved along her jawline, pressing kisses every so often to the soft skin on her neck. "Are you sure about this?" He breathed just below her ear, lips against her skin again almost immediately after.

"I'm sure," she exhaled, her body practically screaming for the caressing to never end. The hand from his shoulder trailed down his arm, fingers lightly scratching against his skin as a rogue groan of pleasure escaped her lips. The sound encouraged him further, and his mouth moved southward, down her neck, lips tracing her collarbone, feeling her move beneath him, little wiggles of pleasure against him. His free hand captured hers, moving it from his arm to pin it above her head, lacing their fingers together as he placed a final kiss on her shoulder and pulled back to look at her.

Her eyes opened, peering up at his as she found herself pinned beneath him. For once, she was uncharacteristically silent. It seemed as if she was simply trying to read his mind just by peering into his eyes. "I really care about you, you know?" she asked, her words as sweet as honey but only as loud as a whisper.

"I do." Dex replied, just as quiet. But that's where he stalled, apprehension coloring his expression.

"What's wrong?" she asked, fingers from her free hand stroking his cheek.

Caught off guard by the question, he shook his head. "Oh. Nothing, just… this is fast, and… I don't want it to feel meaningless. Or rushed." He leaned into her palm, eyes softening on her face. "I really care about you, too, Evie."

"Come here," she said, huskily, pulling his lips down onto hers. Parting her lips, she pressed her tongue softly against his before her hand trailed round his neck and down onto his chest. "I want this, I want us. Don't be afraid."

Evie was laid peacefully in bed, her head upon Dex's chest and her body cuddled against him. It was almost a pure image of serenity until the cracking of gunshots followed one another in rapid succession. Shooting upright, Evie looked towards the window before looking back at Dex, seeing if he was awake. He was, dark eyes open and narrowed in confusion, brain fogged by both sleep and whiskey. "What..?" He was at the window in a second, searching the moonlit cul-de-sac for any indication of what was going on, only to see Otto sprint off towards one of the back gates and Jesse crossing the street headed towards them, checking the magazine in his pistol. So it was him that had fired off the gun? Cold fury washed over him. How fucking irresponsible could they be? Those shots would draw every Infected in a two mile radius. Not to mention any actual people that may be around.

"My head feels like I've been twatted with a sledgehammer," Evie groaned. "Are we in trouble?"

Dexter stumbled back over to the bed, searching for his shorts. "I don't know." He growled, finding them and pulling them on. "But I intend to find out." He searched the dark room, squinting to find what he was looking for. "Where the fuck… is my shirt?" He snorted. "Whatever, forget it." Walking to his room none too quietly, he snatched his gun off the dresser and took the stairs two at a time, making it to the door just as Jesse's silhouette darkened the frosted glass. Hero was already standing near the door, tail wagging slowly in expectation as Ringo's anxious whines and grunts floated through the door. Nudging him out of the way with a foot, Dexter pulled the door open. "What the actual fuck is going on? Have you lost your fucking mind?" He demanded.

Evie followed out not long after, dressed in her pyjamas. However, the poor girl seemed more dazed from the effects of the alcohol than anything else. Staying by the door, her eyes poured over the scene. They didn't seem to be in immediate danger, but still she was concerned.

INVENTORY (DEXTER)
On Person
Items: 1
Glock G29 (15 in clip)

Backpack/In Room
Items: 5
Box of 50 rounds for G29

Minor First Aid Kit
Small LED Flashlight

Cecilio & Ringo
Interactions: Otto, Dex

"What the fuck do you mean am I fucking mad?! We literally just got robbed and would have been fucking killed had Ringo not woken me up." He said standing not to pleased at all with Dex's response. "I thought the area was secure Dex yet i wake up to see someone running into the woods with some of our shit!" He looked to Dex angrily. "Would you rather I'd let them go and tell all their friends 'Hey these stupid fucking idiots all sleep like rocks. We just gotta worry about dogs' I see someone that isn't us I'm gonna shoot Dex." Cecilio said stopping and meeting Dex half way. A scent he was a little too familiar with hit him and he looked at Dex "Jesus are you?....Are you serious with this shit right now? Your giving me shit about shooting and meanwhile you and Evie partied like it was 1999?" He asked just getting more increasingly frustrated. "Christ alive...Well whats done is done Dex. Whats the grand plan now?" He asked looking towards their leader before he took a deep breath and calmed himself down. He was mainly frustrated despite all their defensive set up no one had bother to even think of the doors that lead into the community.

Inventory
1x P226 Pistol (9mm)
1x Bowie Knife

At Apartment:
2 lb's of dog kibble
Assorted hygiene items
1x Trauma kit
1x Pump Shotgun
12x 12G buckshot
Condiments
1x Riot Gear suit

uHBb1iN.jpg

The other man's explanation did nothing to quell Dexter's anger - if anything, it just fueled it. He took a step towards Jesse, a finger brandished at the medic's chest.

"Thats NOT how we do things. We don't fucking shoot first and ask questions later. We do that, we're no better then them." He didn't specify whether he was talking about the Infected or the group that attacked them at the hotel. It didn't matter, they were basically the same anyway.

Shaking his head, Dexter curled his hand into fists, ignoring Hero's anxious whines as he tried to figure out why they were so angry. "And it's none of your fucking business what I do in my free time."

INVENTORY (DEXTER)
On Person
Items: 1
Glock G29 (15 in clip)

Backpack/In Room
Items: 5
Box of 50 rounds for G29
Minor First Aid Kit
Small LED Flashlight

[/fieldbox]​

Cecilio & Ringo

Interactions: Dex
Cecilio sighed and looked at Dex less angry and more concerned "Dex I understand someone who gets in isn't gunning for us first and I get that. But for all I knew at the time I thought they got Otto first. He doesn't have a dog to alert him like we do. Luckily that wasn't the case but what do you want me to do? You of all people know I'm not going to do anything jeopardize this group otherwise you wouldn't be standing here..." He looked a little more annoyed when he gave his 'none of your business remark' "Dex We need to know at least. What if it was a group of bandits. You being drunk doesn't have that ending well. Listen I'm not here to tell you what you can or can't do. Just let us know before hand alright? Your our leader and or friend and last thing I need is anymore people dying especially someone I trust."

Inventory
1x P226 Pistol (9mm)
1x Bowie Knife

At Apartment:
2 lb's of dog kibble
Assorted hygiene items