Cassandra listened as Natalya spouted off her failings. She couldn't disagree with anything her friend had said and so she said nothing. She had indeed failed to keep her Hospital secure, and had failed to check on manifests and stock within the area as well. She'd trusted her team too fully, blindly and it had cost a lot. She didn't blame the Major at all for her current thoughts or wariness.

The first boom happened and Jenn blinked and looked around, wondering what it could be. The second one had the man darting off and Jenn, though she really hated the woman moved closer to Natalya. Hate her or not, she knew the major was trained to handle such things and she was not. In any other circumstance she would ahve shaken the major's hand off but not now. She couldn't think at all and she needed someone to push her to do the right thing.

Jenn was looking around for Dante too hoping and praying she'd see him, but she didn't and then a loud crash from above had her ducking her head instinctively right before the ground beneath her feet fell away. She didn't hear much but crashing and her own screams and then nothing but water and odd metallic sounds.

Cass made an attempt to follow the defector but Natalya grabbed hold of her, "What about the mission?" she asked the floor fell out from under them all. She grabbed for anything she could but all she saw as she fell was Erik's face. She could hear his voice over the sounds all around her and then she felt her back hit the ground and everything went black.

Jenn heard Natalya and groaned. "I'm awake...just a sec..." She spat out a few curses and a lot of grunting and more cursing before she got untangled from the mess she'd been caught in as she'd fallen. Seeing the other two, she realized just how lucky she'd been. Getting tangled had saved her hitting the ground hard like Cass had and kept the debris away. She started trying to unbury the Major but she wasn't strong enough alone to move the heavy stone and metal. She ripped her shirt though and wrapped up the wound on her head, "I have to wake up Cass...she had an implant in her one arm..."

Jenn moved over to Cass and touched her, "Doc..." She shook her a bit harder, "Come on Doc...don't do this to me...wake up..."

Cass blinked, though her implanted eye was totally open and the other was not. "What?" she asked and then tried to sit up. "Oww..." She managed to sit up and saw Natalya buried, "Oh my God...Natalya!" she called and slid off the slab stumbling a bit as she slipped on the wet debris. She fell to her knees and began tugging at stones and beams with her left hand. "Can you feel your legs?" she asked as she did so, trying to assess the damage before she could see it, "Look at me...let me see your eyes.." she demanded and used her eye to scan her head for concussion or fracture. "No fractures...or concussion...nice thick skull." She smiled a tiny smile and then continued to try to move debris but even with her enhanced strength the debris was too heavy. "Can you move your toes?" she asked.

She stood then and began looking for other things she could use as a lever to possibly at least get some of the weight off of her. she was limping but she kept looking and found a sturdy looking rod and returned to see if it could be of any help. She slipped it under a heavy stone and pushed on it but it did not move at all. "damn it!"

Jenn was attempting to tend to the head wound while Cass labored. "This isn't as bad as it looks," she said comfortingly. "You'll have another scar to add to your intimidation factor. Win win...right?"

Cass looked up and could see a tiny bit of light shafting down so at least they'd have air, but so would the fire. "Nat...help me...what should I do?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dunruffle
Natalya grimaced in pain when Cassandra tried to dig her out but remained silent as Jenn tended to her. Looking around the cave, Natalya coughed some more and clutched her sides in pain. "Fuck, I think I broke a few ribs." Steeling herself, Natalya eyed Cassandra coldly. "Priority should be to make sure that fire will not spread. I would suggest trying to use your communicators but all the metal above us will block any signals. Our goal is to escape and contact the Director. From what I saw that starliner was hit by heavy artillery, I suspect i know what happened but I hope I am wrong." Sighing in frustration, Natalya closed her eyes. "I would suggest you two find a way out and leave me here. I am not arrogant enough to believe that I am not replaceable, but I have a feeling Brandford is going to be a hero and try and save me at all costs." Natalya opened her eyes and for a second one might glimpse a twinkle of humor in her organic eye, but it was quickly replaced by her usual cold gaze. "Realistically, our only choice is to wait for rescue. If the fire is fueled by something we have both a source of light and heat. The water over there looks clean enough should we need to resort to drinking it, and if we try to dig our way out we risk collapsing this cave on top of us. So get comfortable, it seems we might be here for awhile."

Natalya shifted herself slightly to try and get comfortable as she glanced at Cassandra. "And yes I can feel my legs, it seems I was lucky enough to not have broken my spine. Though I doubt I will be a suitable source of conversation unless the topics involve military strategies and covert operations."

Reactions: PoetLore
Cass watched her and frowned, "Try not to take any deep breaths then." she warned her, "I can't bandage that and a punctured lung would be very difficult for me to treat in these circumstances." She didn't say she COULDN'T treat it but it would be a pain in the backside she'd rather avoid. "Hopefully," she nodded, "But you could have a crack or break without loss of sensation since you can't actually move at the moment. Once help arrives you need to let me scan you before you try to move, no arguments." Her had that stony stubborn doctor expression on her face as she said that, "If we need to splint your back we will..."

She turned then and looked at the area that was on fire before looking back at Natalya, "You would suspect correctly. We leave together...that's not up for debate...and ...since you are currently buried I get to call those shots." There was a tender sparkle to her expression for a second before it faded and she went toward the fire.

Jenn listened to Natalya spew out their 'priorities' and raised both brows. "I'm not gonna lie Major...I don't like you, but even I wouldn't leave you here like this." She stood though, "I'll go this way and see if I can hear anything or see a place with less metal where our communicators might work..."

Cass returned and motioned to the fire, "It's a broken line and everything over there is metal or stone, so it's not going to spread, but it's putting off a good amount of heat." She moved back to where the thin shaft of light was coming down from above, "I'm wishing now I'd let that crazy man give me a leg too..." She sighed. He'd asked but she'd decided replacing two perfectly functional parts of her body was quite enough. She went to the structure that had entangled Jenn and reached up to see if it was secure but it instantly came down at her feet. "Well...can't climb that..." She sighed and pulled off her shirt revealing the tank top beneath. She went to the one place the water was pooling nicely and then looked for anything that could hold water. She shook her head when she saw a cup from the cafe lying on the ground completely untouched by the cave in and picked it up. "Figure the odds..." She said as she went back and filled the cup. It actually looked pretty clean considering and she took scanned it with her eye to see if there was anything dangerous seeping into it. Luckily for them at this point, it was safe, though there were small traces of dirt in it. She wet her shirt too and then went over to Natalya, "Here...drink some of this..." she said as she used her shirt to wipe the blood and dust off of her.

Natalya took the cup of water and drained it in one gulp. Handing the cup back, Natalya sighed and looked around, and her gaze landing on Jenn. "Nurse Point. Since we have nothing better to do I will ask you a question. How did you and Doctor Brandford meet? I obviously know what it says on the official employment records but I have a feeling there is more to the story than just what was written down. Feel free to ask me any questions as well, as long as they don't pertain to classified information I will do my best to answer. Though I will admit I am used to being the one asking the questions as well as having various tools to...encourage..my target."

Jenn returned from her short jaunt with a sigh, "nothing that way but more metal and stone." She plopped down on the slab where Cass landed and leaned forward with her elbows on her knees. She was more than a little shocked that the Major addressed her in any way other than to rebuke her for something. Her head jerked up and her eyes were wide when she heard the question and the offer. "Um...." she began and the tipping her head she smiled, "The VERY first time I met Doc I'm sure she isn't aware of..." She shrugged, "I attended a lecture on implant technology in a nursing school and Doc was the patient they used for the demonstration. That's how I know about her arm."

Cass lifted a brow "I had no idea...you've never mentioned that before..."

Another shrug, "Never seemed important or proper to comment on such a thing. I remember thinking...no way....ever unless it was absolutely necessary and after watching what happened to your eye I'm so glad I never did it."

Cass glanced over at her, "Nothing wrong with them if they're done by someone with a conscience and character..."

Jenn gave her a sympathetic smile, "Sorry about your experience though." She glanced at the Major then, "So...you are a beautiful woman...how did you end up in such harsh work?"

Natalya let out a dry laugh and looked around as if trying to find something to use as a topic to dodge the question. Finding nothing, Natalya crossed her arms and looked at the cave wall. After a few moments of silence the Major spoke. "It is a long story, but since I am stuck here I might as well tell you. My family is very wealthy and powerful because we are the descendants of one man. I am a direct descendant of Vladimir Putin, one of the most notorious and powerful leaders of Old Earth. When the space colonization effort started the Putin family took great care to ensure their wealth and power would follow them to the stars. Due to how much the Russian government contributed to the colonization program, the Putin family was essentially given an entire planet to rule as they saw fit. The planet Tulka became the new home for the Putin family and all their generations to come. Heavy industry, medicine, communications, any type of business on Tulka was part of the Putin empire. Now as time went on the people of Tulka did elect new leaders and adapted to the new space age, but the Putin family continues to pull the strings from the shadows. My family rules with an iron fist, and anyone who speaks out or tries to resist their machinations are swiftly and mercilessly silenced."

"I was born a girl, much to my parent's dismay. The Putins have always been led by a man, and while nowadays the notion of men being superior to women is considered archaic, it is one of the guiding principles that my family is based on. Women are only good for making offspring, and being used in arranged marriages. Sure the women still have enough clout and wealth to rival an entire planet, but we have never been allowed to use any of it without permission from the family leader. My birth did not bring joy to my parents. My father was the previous generation's family head and he fully expected my mother to bear a son. If a male descendant from the main family is not available to take on the mantle of leadership, the next purest family bloodline with a male heir is chosen instead. This was how my grandfather came to lead the family. His cousin died before he came of age, meaning my Grandfather was chosen as the new leader. As you can imagine these inter-family politics could rival the amount of treachery and backstabbing in a low grade soap opera. As I grew, I was taught about the family history and my place in it. Being young and naive, I thought the notion of male only leaders was stupid and resolved to become the first female family head. I made sure to be the best at anything my parents put my through. School, martial arts, swordfighting, business, I was the best out of all of my peers. I thought my parents would be proud of me, that they would support my ambitions and give me the chance to prove to all the families that I was more than ready to become the family head. That was not the case, my parents barely acknowledged my existence, instead trying everything they could to produce a son. I grew bitter, and resolved to make my case to the family council directly. So I went around my parents and intruded on a council meeting with every qualification and award I had to make my case. I barely made it past my opening statement when my father found me and beat me in front of everyone while my mother scolded me. It was at that point that I lost all respect for my parents. So for the few years afterwards I did my best to rebel against them and my extended family. I snuck out, partied, got into fights, was arrested several times, but no matter what I did I always ended up back in the clutches of my parents. Then the family doctor informed my parents that my mother was pregnant. A few months later it was confirmed that the baby would be a boy. My parents were ecstatic, they had secured the family leadership for another generation and did everything they could to ensure my little brother would take his rightful place as the family head. At this point I was eighteen and my mother was already going through files of possible suitors for me to marry. I was told that I should be happy for my parents. I could not have hated them more. So I ran away, I changed my last name to my mother's maiden name and joined the military. At this point my parents could have cared less about me, they had the son they wanted and my existence was just a meaningless fact to them. So I got what I wanted, my parents announced to the family council I had died in an accident. I threw myself into my new career, I had nothing but my anger and resentment to fuel me. One day, I got a call from Director Valentine. He told me how he was impressed with my achievements, that he had never seen anyone like me before. The Special Operations Group was still fairly new at the time, sure I had heard of it but I did not really know what it was. I met with the Director and he shared his vision with me, told me how he needed someone with enough drive and ambition to be his second-in-command. Somehow he knew about my family and what my past was. He said that to him, leadership and power was earned, not inherited. He said that if I proved myself, I might become the next Director. I transferred to the SOG the very next day. The Director was true to his word, if I proved capable enough he would make sure my accomplishments meant something. He put me through hell and back training me to work with him, like he said, I had to earn his trust. If I had to choose between my parents or the Director, I would side with the Director in a heartbeat. So that's how I got here. As for my little brother, I hold no ill will towards him. Granted I don't even know his name or what he looks like, but I am not selfish enough to hate someone simply because they exist."

Sighing heavily, Natalya glanced over at Cassandra and Jenn. "If I find out either of you tell anyone about this I will hunt you down and personally kill you with my bare hands."

Cass listened as she finished cleaning dust and blood off Natalya but she finished long before the story ended, "No worries," she said, "I cannot imagine why such a thing would ever come up in a topic of conversation."

Jenn was shocked at the story, and as she listened her perspective and opinions of the Major changed considerably, "My lips are sealed." she said and then frowned, "I can't say that makes me like you more but I understand your ice better."

Cass shook her head, "All of us have secrets...things we'd like and hope to keep that way. I know it's all over my file how I put myself through medical school, having experimental things implanted into my body and allowing myself to be injected with all manner of serums for testing purposes but what is NOT in my file...though somehow I have to believe Director Valentine somehow knows about it in spite of that fact..." She glanced at Natalya wondering if she's confirm that notion or not after she spoke further. "I needed a little more money to pay off my doctorate classes in order to graduate on time so I was called into the director's office and given an opportunity to graduate with no balance remaining." She sighed heavily, "Looking back I should have realized things were not going to be above board or even legal, but I knew my parents would have sold the farm, and everything to pay that money and I couldn't let them do that, it's all my brother has and all he wants." She shrugged, "Probably one of the very few times in my life when i thought of someone other than myself and achieving my goals at any cost. Still, what he proposed was horrifying and still makes my skin crawl to this day. But they had captured an alien from similar planet to earth and wanted to know if our two species were compatible."

Jenn blinked, "you didn't..."

"Oh I did. It was the most ... uncomfortable thing I've ever had to endure. I stupidly thought they would implant me with something but oh no...they wanted to know if the male would find a human female appealing...he was rather ...reptilian looking and had a strange odor."

Jenn was turning green, "i can't believe you did it..."

Cass shuddered a bit as the memories swamped her, "Me either most of the time...wish i hadn't actually."

Jenn leaned forward a bit, "What happened?" she ventured, "It didn't work did it?"

"It worked...I delivered a baby something. I never saw him. It hurt my insides and made it so I can never have children without a lot of intervention. So somewhere out there is a little half me half lizardish child...."

Jenn's jaw was hanging on the ground. "You guys...seriously...I have an uncle who was eaten by a whale and cut his way out. Taht's the best I got. i feel like I am seriously lame.

Natalya simply stayed silent at Cassandra's half question half assumption about the Director's knowledge of her. When Cassandra revealed her own secret Natalya simply nodded respectfully. "Everyone has something they wish they could change." Sighing tiredly, Natalya nodded at Jenn. "So what is your big goal in life and how do you plan on getting there? My guess is something along the lines of you becoming a pediatric doctor or some kind of specialized caregiver. I don't see you becoming an advanced medical professional like Brandford. Your bedside manner is probably your best professional aspect, you would be surprised how many wealthy people there are willing to pay for one-on-one care. Though you would need to learn to keep your mouth shut should you be hired by those in positions of power. Even crime syndicate leaders care about making an ailing family member comfortable. Sure you could be killed if you decide to give evidence to the authorities or get bribed by a rival faction, but if you want to have a large paycheck you will need to learn to compromise when it comes to your morals."

Jenn was still reeling at Cass's revelation when Natalya asked the next question. She listened and then wasn't sure if what she'd said had been a compliment, insult or something in between. "To be honest," she shrugged, "I don't have lofty intentions of a huge paycheck or accomplishing greaqt things. I would be happy to ahve a family and a simple life and continue being a nurse as I am now." her brows lifted as she looked at them, "I know both of you are driven and have goals and things to prove to the world, but I just want to be happy."

Cass smiled at her, "nothing wrong with knowing yourself and not being afraid to be that person Jenn." She said in a gentle voice. "I doubt I'll ever be happy with where I am professionally. There are always going to be better ways to do things and better technology to aid in the process. I intend to be part of that cutting edge and be the one who finds better ways to improve health and cure what is considered incurable." she glanced over at Natalya, "What about you? Do you still think you'll be the next director? or do you have other aspirations?" She knew the Director had health issues and that while he was stable at the moment that wouldn't be the case forever unless he was willing to be a heavy implant recipient, or possibly accept some of Dr. Sechen's artificial organs.

Natalya shrugged and fiddled with some gravel near her arms. "I believe that so far I am the only person worthy enough to even be considered for my mentor's position. He is a hard man to keep up with...but he gave me a chance when nobody else would. As far as my family is concerned I could care less. I despise political scheming and that is all the Putins live for, in some ways I pity my younger brother for he has to deal with those sort of things daily." Aimlessly tossing a piece of gravel, Natalya grimaced as she tried to adjust her position to be more comfortable. "The Director had warned me about getting too comfortable with you Brandford. I admit it was refreshing to have someone i could talk candidly with, but as always Director Valentine was right. I got complacent and as a result the Director was almost killed. I advise you to keep your personal feelings from interfering with your work. That advice goes double for my men. We discourage fraternization while on duty for a reason, I need to trust that my soldiers will not go off the reservation because of their personal feelings. I did not say anything because this is technically a vacation, but now that we are back on a mission I expect both of you to act like the proffessionals you say you are." Natalya's cold eyes glared at Jenn then locked onto Cassandra challengingly as she crossed her arms. "If I think any of the men are becoming too emotionally attached I will not hesitate to assign them to different planets so as to ensure their effectiveness during operations."

Cass tipped her head slightly, "i don't believe Director valentine fully trusts anyone, but if he had to trust someone it would be you." She had no doubt that when the director was gone or forced to resign because of his health that Natalya would be the one to take over the position, though she wasn't entirely sure it was the best thing for the woman. No one could live life completely isolated from everything and everyone and be happy.

Jenn rolled her eyes. "Do you think any of those guys are going to be less effective at their job just because they are happy?" Shaking her head a bit, "People are far more productive in their work and lives when they have a nurturing support system at home. Decades and decades of research to prove that..."

Cass shrugged, "I have been on several of these missions with you Natalya. How many times do I have to behave professionally before I will be trusted to do so?" She glanced up at that tiny hole that led up to where they had been, "Believe me...you are not the only one who has warned me about allowing personal feelings to intrude into my life. Kirst felt the need to lecture me as well. In my work I rely upon my compassion and ability to feel empathy for my patients to comfort them and give them confidence in my abilities in dire times. That isn't going to change, because it would cause the level of my success to decline." She lowered her gaze back to the three, "I will admit that I find Erik Ritkof to be the best medic I've ever worked with, and a good listener, and a good friend. I do like him very much, but I also know he is not likely to allow anything to interfere with his duties or orders, not even me."

Jenn listened, "I think you are both insane." She stood and paced the area, "The only one of those guys that gives a flying rat's ass about me is Dante, but I can guarantee you they are all up there trying to find a way to free us from this hole. If that makes them 'soft' or 'inept' then hell with you two. I want out of here!"

Cass blinked, "I'm sure they are...but that is because Natlaya is down here and they aren't going to leave the commander of the mission behind."

"They aren't going to leave you behind either Doc...the facility needs you and they know it."

"No one is irreplaceable Jenn...not even me."

"Riiiiight," Jenn scoffed, "They can just find another Cassandra Brandford around every corner of the galaxy. Dine a dozen..." She rolled her eyes again and pointed a finger at both of them wagging it, "I think both of you actually believe all this crap you're slinging but I don't. Neither of you wants to die down here and both of you are hoping that even if they have been ordered to leave us they won't. There's more to working with others than getting a mission accomplished. there's trust and deep bonds. Without that you turn into Graves and sell yourself to the highest bidder."

Natalya frowned as Jenn and Cassandra told her their views, obviously not buying what they were saying. "I will agree with you that the squad is most likely trying to find a way to get to us. I am the only one who can directly contact the Director and I also know all the mission details. That should be the only reason they are trying to rescue us but it seems their personal feelings towards you two fall in line with the mission. Yes I would prefer not to die here but I am not selfish enough to believe in the impossible." Sighing, Natalya watched the fire flicker as she dug out some dirt from underneath her fingernails.

"I do disagree with you about trust and bonds. This line of work requires us to not only trust each other, but to also be ready to make any necessary sacrifices to complete our goals. Ask any veteran soldier who has served on the frontline, why make forge emotional bonds with people who may be killed? Dealing with loss and pain can turn even the best well trained soldier into a useless headcase. I learned that lesson early, my parents simply saw me as a puppet, I accepted that and moved on. Should they come to me begging to forgive them I would shoot them myself. I trust one person, and that is Director Valentine. I took a risk by trusting Brandford and I suffered because of it. I let my personal feelings override my common sense and because of that Edwards was almost able to kill my mentor." Shrugging her shoulders, Natalya glanced at Jenn. "We live in completely different worlds, there is no changing that fact."

Jenn tipped her head a shrugged a it, "I will give you that we live in different worlds. I live in the healing and you in destruction, however, no one should travel through life alone. It's not good to be isolated, it affects your neural transmissions and lessens your ability to think rationally. even you Major need someone to confide in..."

Cass sighed a bit, "You are right to blame me Natalya. I should have been aware of what Graves was doing. I was watching Marcus closely because i never trusted him, but I had no idea Graves was helping him. So I was wrong and did indeed cause the situation that almost cost the Director's life. He would never have been attacked in such a manner were it not for my lack of diligence in management over the supplies."

Jenn made a face, "Graves is to blame for that Doc...he knew Edwards was an asswipe from the get go. He betrayed your trust for what? A little money?"

Cass shrugged, "Whatever his reasons...he did it. I overlooked his methods for a long time, because he was able to get the things we needed when no one else could. But I should have been on top of what he was doing...it's my responsibility."

Jenn shook her head, "And you think that would have stopped him from being able to do what he does?" She asked shaking her head, "Yeah...right...Graves had ways of doing things that even the illustrious Major and Director valentine didn't see happening. What makes you think you would have??"

Cass huffed a bit, "I guess that is a valid point, but still...it happened in my department so I am to blame."

Natalya shrugged as she tossed another bit of gravel. "Isolation is fine by me, any time I have trusted someone I get hurt. You have your opinions and I have mine." Sighing loudly, Natalya leaned back and closed her eyes. "I am going to rest, you two can go do whatever you think is necessary to our survival." It was strange seeing a half buried woman sleep but Natalya somehow made it look manageable. The fire crackled in the background and besides the small opening in the ceiling the only light came from the fire and a flickering glow lamp sticking out of the ground.

Cass felt the last thread of hope of ever rekindling her former friendship die with Natalya's words at that moment. Marcus had been a throne in her side for as long as she could remember, but this was something she hadn't been prepared to lose because of his selfish conceit. She felt uncharacteristic rage bubble up inside her, but she pushed it aside for the moment. The proper target for that rage wasn't in this hole, and neither of the ones who were deserved to suffer through it. "Rest is good..." She said as she stood and moved to Jenn. "You stay here and watch over her...this whole place doesn't seem too stable to me...I'm going to see if I can find any other openings to the surface."

Jenn made a face at Natalya but kept her peace. The woman had no idea what she was missing, and obviously didn't care to find out. more's the pity for her. But, she knew after this exchange, she'd never look at the woman the same. A tiny bit of understanding could generally go a long way toward creating a civil working relationship, and she knew going forward she'd ahve the capacity to be civil. She looked at Cass when she stood and lifted a brow, "And how exactly are you going to 'go' anywhere?" she asked, "We got rubble to the left of us and fire to the right...and here I am stuck in the middle with you guys..." She sang the last part and smirked a bit, "Sorry...had to do it..."

Cass rolled her eyes, "yeah yeah...forgiven." She held up a piece of steel that had fallen from somewhere, "I can use this to pass by the fire."

"No you can't..."

"Sure I can...My leg is turbo charged...it'll only take a second...and my eye will be able to see if there's anything over there before I try it..." She smiled at Jenn, "You worry too much."

Jenn closed her eyes and counted to ten, "So help me Doc...if you die on me and strand me with Major pain in the ass over there I will shock you back to life and kill you again."

Cass snickered, "Noted...but I'll be back...not to worry."

"Now where have I heard THAT before??"

Cass ignored that and carried the sheet of metal with her to where the fire was. She scanned the area beyond the fire, glad Harrison had upgraded her heat vision. There was another area beyond the fire, so she held the sheet of metal in her hand and took a breath and then her implant leg shot her through the opening and she landed with a slight thud on the other side on the ground. she was jolted a bit, but otherwise fine.

Hearing the thud Jenn ran to the area, "You ok?"

"I'm fine...this is one of those times two cybernetic legs would have been an advantage." She pushed up from the floor and brushed off her pants and shirt. "I'll be back soon...Maybe I can find something to eat over here..." She called and then began to move away from the fire into the deepening darkness. "I flashlight would be such a blessing right now." She said aloud, but realized her eye would adjust to the lack of light so she moved slowly to give it time to do so. She found a block wall and tipped her head. "Hmm...basement of some sort?" She wondered again aloud. "When did I start talking to myself this much?" She shook her head and followed the wall looking for a door or any way into that area, hoping there was some sort of emergency area with communications or rations for such a calamity as this. She finally found a door but it was blocked by a considerable pile of debris. She sighed and started moving the rubble out of the way.

It took a good while to clear the door but she was finally able to enter the block area. Much to her surprise it was fairly in tact considering the condition of the rest of the place. She saw a switch and flipped it not expecting anything, but again she was surprised to find the lights answered the call. "Huh..." The room was full of all kinds of things, non of which she was expecting. Weapons, maps, and a holographic display of the mall and surrounding area flickered to lift with the lights. She had a bad feeling about this...

The room appeared to be some kind of repurposed storage unit. In one corner of the room was another door, but this one was made of heavy steel, with several thick bolts and locks, and had a small slat at eye level. If Cassandra opened the door she would only find more rubble and no way out. The holographic map had several display options besides the current one displayed. One showed the layout of a spaceport, another featured blueprints of what looked like a military garrison, and finally a three dimensional layout of a tall skyscraper with highlighted security devices, guard stations, ID scanners, and blast doors. The words TOP SECRET and CLASSIFIED were plastered on the top while the bottom was simply titled "ODIN CONTROL CENTER". The weapons were all small enough to be concealed, were not of high quality, and seemingly assembled by hand. In several file cabinets were folders containing files of government workers ranging from custodians to military officers. There was also a heavy duty encrypted comm unit but would only emit static with no way to transmit through solid steel and rock. On a table were handwritten notes scrawled hastily on sheets of paper, but on closer inspection the notes seemed to be composed of random configurations of numbers and letters.

The room almost oozed the makings of some kind of safehouse. There was a small assortment of survival equipment and dried rations that were seemingly prepared ahead of time for exactly the sort of scenario the women found themselves in. Handily there was a fire extinguisher on a wall that was the type that sprayed out fire retardent foam that solidified on contact and a small first aid kit.

Back in the cave, Natalya groaned softly and held her head in her hands. "I think I'm going to be sick...ow my head.." The normally composed woman valiantly tried to keep from throwing up but eventually her body won out and she threw up onto the ground next to herself. Shakily wiping the leftover bits from her mouth, Natalya closed her eyes as her vision began to swim. "Point...I think I have suffered a brain injury. I am nauseous and dizzy and I can barely think straight. I am afraid I will not be much help if Brandford finds a way out." Suddenly there was an earth shaking rumble that caused small bits of rubble to fall from the ceiling. The ground itself seemed to move slightly until the tremors stopped and everything was silent and still again. Shaking her head, Natalya briefly opened her eyes to look around. "Not good, this entire area is probably structurally unstable if the lower levels supporting the plaza were damaged."

• Love
Cass went through the room and took any files and information that seemed relevant. She scanned the holographic images with her eye knowing that the images were being stored both within her eye and on the system at the medical bay back at the facility. She wasn't sure she'd need a weapon but she took three anyway and also enough rounds to fill them each twice. She did try to open the door but something heavy was on the other side and even using her leg, she could not budge it.

Finding the rations was the best surprise of all. She grabbed a duffle bag and dumped the current contents of it to the floor and then filled it with all the food and water supplies that were there. She crouched down to zip the bag and saw a lantern. She grabbed the fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and the lantern as well. The bag was stuffed as full as she could manage but she still took another look around to make sure she hadn't missed anything that might later be important before heading back down the tunnel that led back to her friends.

Jenn was at Natalya's side instantly when she began throwing up. She looked at the major's eyes but it was difficult to judge things when one of your eyes was not normal. "damn it I hope Doc gets back soon...I'm not..." but she was interrupted by the sudden trembling of the ground, "Well hell...that better not be an earthquake..."

Cass felt the tremor as well, but she was fairly certain that either the building was collapsing, or there had been another attack on the area. She ran to the fire. She thought about using the extinguisher on it, but it was providing heat and much needed light, so unless things became dangerous she wasn't going to use up their only protection. She slid the bag along the floor just under the flames and grabbed her piece of metal from before and then braced herself for another impact.

She hit the ground with another fairly loud thud and groan but pushed herself up and made her way back to the others.

Jenn was shielding Natalya as best she could, "DOC!" she called out hoping she could be heard.

Cass frowned when she heard Jenn. She set the lantern down and flicked the switch and the area was immediately flooded with light. She saw the vomit about the same time the smell of it hit her, "What happened?"

Jenn looked at her, "Thank God...she is complaining of nausea, confusion and pain in her head. threw up once. says she is having trouble thinking clearly."

Cass moved in and cupped Natalya's face in both hands in order to hold it steady while she scanned her. "fractured skull...bleeding..." She rattled off as she scanned. "We need to get out of here..." She cursed under her breath and reached for the bag she'd stuffed full of things. She pulled out the first aid kit, which she hadn't inspected and prayed for a miracle. Standard items, but there was a bottle of disinfectant and some butterfly sutures. "What I wouldn't give for me medical bag right now..." She said and then looked at Natalya, "you have a fracture and some internal bleeding. it's causing pressure. that's why you're confused and nauseated. I can relieve the pressure, but it's going to hurt like hell and I don't ahve much in the way of anything that will keep you from being exposed to contaminants." She frowned, "It's risky to attempt anything here...I'm going to scan you every five minutes. if things change I will do what I ahve to do to save your life."

Cracking open her eyes, Natalya looked curiously at the bag full of files. "Why are you grabbing paperwork? It seems you found something over there based on all the supplies you have." Turning her now sensitive eyes away from the light of the lantern, Natalya gritted her teeth as she fought through another wave of nausea. The cave shook as another tremor rumbled loudly, suddenly Natalya looked down at her buried waist and snapped rapidly to get Cassandra and Jenn's attention. "I can feel my lower half coming loose. Those tremors are dislodging some of the heavier pieces of rubble." As the tremor passed, Natalya tried her best to give Cassandra and Jenn a stern look. "When the next tremor happens you will both pull me up and out." As if already predicting Cassandra's opposition based on her safety, Natalya huffed and waved a hand dismissively. "I will be fine Brandford. I can handle physical pain just fine."

As the next tremor began, Natalya gripped her compatriots hands tightly as they pulled her out of the rubble. In the process, Natalya let out a cry of pain but kept her iron grip on the hands pulling her. Now free of the rubble, Natalya laid on the ground and clutched her ribs as she let out a stream of profanity in both Russian and English that was quite creative for someone normally so rigid in demeanor. As the tremor passed, Natalya cracked open an eye to look up at Cassandra. "Based on the frequency of the tremors I am reasonably sure the upper city levels are collapsing. We need to find a way out of here before this place caves in and kills us." Slowly sitting up, Natalya spat out a wad of bloody mucus and saliva as she winced in pain. "We need to go lower. The undercity is our best chance of survival. We only stop when we find an intact city level and then we can worry about finding out what the hell is happening."

• Love
Cass tipped her head, "That room over there seemed like some kind of shelter ...there was food and crude weapons and a holomap and all these files. I took what I could fit in that bag, but there's more back there..."

She glared at the roof above them as if that would stop the tremors but then nodded when Natalya said she felt her lower half loosening. ""I know you can take pain...but drilling into your skull without sedation is another level of pain than anyone can prepare for..." Cass grabbed hold and waited for the next tremor. She used her leg's strength to help pull her up and out of the rubble. And then grinned a bit at the run of colorful speech that erupted. "Well said...and...there was another door in that other room...Maybe we can find a way through there?"

Jenn looked at the flames, "I won't make it through that fire..." she sighed, "but there's nothing the other way.

Cass held up the fire extinguisher. "never fear...plan B .." She helped Naltalya to stand, "Hold onto us...and no arguing about it. Falling will only add another injury."

Jenn came up on the other side of Natalya and ducked under her arm and then helped brace her taking the lantern Cass handed her.

Cass looked at Jenn, "Got her?" and when she saw the nod she moved with the extinguisher and let the foam do it's work sealing off the flames so they could all pass safely. She grabbed the bag of supplies, putting the first aid kit back inside and then went to Natalya's other side. "It's not far." She promised and guided them back the way she'd come. Soon they were in the room. "It looks like some kind of safe retreat or something..."

Jenn frowned, "but why? There is a mall above us for pete's sake..."

Natalya gritted her teeth against the pain as she was helped into the buried safehouse. Taking a seat on a rolling chair, Natalya's eyes widened as she saw the map. Letting out a curse in Russian, the Major wheeled herself over to Cassandra's bag and began tearing through the files. "This room is not a retreat, it is a safehouse for a confederate sleeper cell. All these personnel files, all this time...fuck! We are more screwed than I thought. I mean I suspected...but I was hoping I was wrong." Mumbling to herself, Natalya spat out a wad of congealed blood onto the floor as she searched through the files. "This is bad, really bad. If the confederacy takes Mendilo our entire supply economy will shut down. How long have they been planning this?!" Clutching her ribs, Natalya sucked in air through her teeth and began examining the cryptic notes. "Of course they would have a code. If we were back at base we could crack the code in minutes." Coughing wetly, Natalya swayed woozily and clutched her head as she tried to unsuccessfully stand up. Grabbing the edge of the table, Natalya growled as she snapped her fingers at Jen. "Bring me whatever you can find written in this code. Now!" Clearly the Major was pushing herself to the limit as she feverishly talked to herself and examined the notes.