Harrison was listening to Sammy and nodding when he heard his name being bellowed loud enough to shake the rock walls surrounding them. He turned slowly and waited for whatever she felt she needed to spew out, but only found himself being physically dragged from where he'd supposedly been summoned to work. She was talking while she 'dragged' him and he was listening. When they arrived at the place where he could only guess she held her punishment sessions he gave her a seriously disbelieving look.

"You honestly expect me to get into that ring with you?" his voice was low and calm so as not to rile up the crowd any further than it already was. he'd heard that she was a fierce combatant in that ring, but he grew up on the streets and he knew very well how to handle himself in a scuffle, and he had to outweigh her by about 80 to 100 pounds he'd wager. He looked around at the crowd. Apparently they didn't realize his muscles were real, and not fabricated. His legs were though and he knew if she attempted to kick him in the leg, she'd likely sustain at least a broken foot, possibly worse. This was NOT a good idea at all but he could tell that these men were not going to be satisfied with an apology or an explanation. His voice still low and calm which was his normal state was meant for her only to hear, "This is a bad idea Dr. Brunel...for many reason...are you certain you will not reconsider?" His gaze was boring into her in a way that was meant to warn and hopefully cause her to come up with another solution. He prayed she would, because he didn't want to hurt her, and he wasn't about to let her injure him in any way. Not with Cassandra still in the fragile state she was in at the moment.

The crowd was roaring behind him and he felt a ripple of irritation shiver through him at their stupidity. These were supposed to be some of the most brilliant minds on the facility? Before she replied he turned around and glared at the bunch of them. Had this been when he was younger and still trying to prove he was a man, they'd have gotten more than that glare. Now though, he was far past the need to prove anything to anyone. He met their eyes, every single one of them, before he turned back to Dr. Brunel. "There has to be a better way."

Nadia turned around and gave the rambunctious crowd a quick glare, causing most of them to quiet down. Turning back to Harrison, Nadia smiled cheekily. "Let me explain, we are not going to go in there bare fisted. To keep things fair we have a few rules and both of us wear regulation sparring gear. We even have a referee. I actually organized this to be honest, I hate it when people hold grudges and talk behind backs. Makes no sense to me. Plus I am probably the only one here who could take you in a fair fight. My people here are honest and hard working folk Harrison, and I am sure you understand how much they hate their work getting interrupted. Now if you really don't want to do this you don't have to, but if you want everyone to trust you again this is the best way to do it." Leaning in closer, Nadia spoke in a conspiratorial whipser. "Plus a lot of them are jealous of how quickly Sammy warmed up to you." Giving Harrison a friendly smile, Nadia poked his chest challengingly. "So what's it gonna be big guy? Don't worry I am one of the toughest people in this entire base."

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Harrison was a little surprised by her candor and the trusting nature of her words when she leaned closer. With resigned sigh he crossed his arms and peered down at her, "Ok...what are the rules?" He needed to know what was expected and how it would end, as in what would constitute a win or draw, or whatever. She might be tough, but he was more than aware of his own strength. He had no doubt she'd be faster than he was, unless his implanted legs were engaged, but he wouldn't do that because it was cheating as far as he was concerned.

Her words about Sammy had him a bit confused though. Sure the kid was shy but she had been polite and cooperative since the moment they'd met. And to him that was saying something, because most people were intimidated by his size. They'd been working so much on the suit that he hadn't noticed how she got on with the other members of the R&D team. But then, that wasn't something he'd have noticed had he thought to be watchful. He was one to work not gawk, so this whole thing had him confused and a little irritated.

Still, he wanted to be able to work here without a lot of hassle so it seemed he'd have to submit to this craziness. He leaned a little closer, "Don't kick my legs...you'll get hurt. You agree to that and I'll play this game...but...I still want to know the rules."

Reactions: Dunruffle
There was a cheer from the crowd of onlookers, causing Nadia to rub the bridge of her nose in annoyance. As more bets were placed, Nadia guided Harrison to the benches with the sparring gear. "Rules are pretty simple. We have two styles of sparring, boxing and mixed martial arts. You can choose which one we fight with. Boxing is pretty standard, you win by knockout, if your opponent yields, or you get knocked down 2 times. MMA you win by knockout, a submission through grappling, or a yield." She smiled excitedly and picked up a metal water bottle. "By the way, I grew up on a mining colony where the gravity was about two times heavier compared to standard earth gravity."

With the sound of crumpling metal, Nadia bent the steel water bottle in two. "I can give even the locals here a good thrashing, so don't hold back on me Harrison. I want a good fight out of you." The deceptively strong woman gave Harrison a flirty wink and cracked her knuckles. "As for fighting styles, no hair pulling, eye gouging, blah blah blah. Y'know no dirty moves."

Harrison watched her and listened, "Boxing. And like I said, don't kick my legs. I don't care how strong you are, bones don't do well against titanium." He pulled on the gear and lifted a brow at her. "I don't intend to let you hit me Doctor Brunel. I have a less than healthy Head of the Hospital to take care of still." Seeing that wink and watching her crack her knuckles he chuckled a bit in spite of this ridiculous circumstance he found himself in at the moment. Before he could stop the words, "Can I pull your hair later?" He straightened up shocked that he'd said it but didn't take it back or apologize for it either. All he did was grin and duck under the rope as he stepped into the ring.

He wasn't a trained boxer, per se more of a street brawler, but he knew how to defend himself and how to throw a punch. Considering his size, he was light on his feet and pretty fast. Still he didn't know anything about her style so he watched, keeping his feet moving for her to make a move and give away her side preference. he really didn't want to hit her either, but he knew he had to in order to end this thing.

Grinning wider at Harrison's response, Nadia put on her sparring headgear and gloves. Jumping into the ring, Nadia smacked her boxing gloves together a few times. "Before you talk the talk, let's see if you can walk the walk." Circling Harrison with her guard up, Nadia watched her big opponent carefully. "You look like you know how to fight, the problem is..." Dashing in quickly, Nadia unleashes a flurry of jabs at Harrison's midsection then hops back out of reach. "You are used to a brawl, this is a proper fight." Jumping forward again, Nadia makes a feint of a punch at Harrison's face. But instead rockets her other fist at Harrison's gut to try and knock the breath out of him. The whole time grinning like a kid running wild on a playground. Around the ring, the crowd cheered and whistled as they yelled out suggestions to both fighters. "Send him back with a busted lip boss!" "Don't just stand there, close the gap and use your size big guy!" Of course there were several jeers and insults but it was really all in the good spirit of initiating Harrison into their family of engineers and technicians.

Harrison took the torso blows without much trouble. when he'd suffered the injury that cost him his legs he's had no choice but to build a strong core and upper body to lift his considerable weight around while he recovered and until he'd been able to get the implant legs he has now. He hadn't grown up with privilege or social status, and implants were something for the wealthy and influential where he'd come from. Cassandra had been the one to notice him in a class she'd been teaching and ask him why he hadn't been given legs yet. he'd explained and in her usual fashion, gone on a rant to the higher ups in her department to get him help. She'd seen vast potential in him from that class and once he was done with school hired him to work with her. It was there that he'd been given the encouragement and freedom to pursue his full potential. It was why he was so protective of the doctor and why he was her fiercest defender as well.

It was true he was used to street brawling, but he did know how to fight a regulation boxing match. his hands were quick to move to deflect ehr blows to his face, and he let her have at his torso all she wanted. he didn't think she could hurt him there anyway. When she feigned the blow to his face in favor of hitting his torso again his right fist jabbed out quicker than most would have thought he was capable of given that he generally was a slow and purposeful type person. The blow made contact with her unprotected jaw and he hopped back. He was mentally chuckling at the crowd for offering their advice, but he was focused on her. She was fast and strong and he needed to be on his toes or he would end up on the mat, he felt pretty sure of it. he hoped he didn't ahve to hit her too many times to get her to call it, or to hit the floor. He didn't really like this too much.

Stumbling back a few steps, Nadia grunted as she fell on her butt. The crowd hooted and hollered as the seemingly invincible Nadia was taken down a peg. Jumping back up to her feet, Nadia huffed in annoyance "Ok you got me that time, guess gut shots aren't gonna cut it huh?" Regaining her composure, Nadia closed the gap once more. This time however, she solely focused her efforts on targeting Harrison's face. While a full head shorter than Harrison, Nadia nimbly ducked and dodged as she unleashed a barrage of uppercuts and jabs. Suddenly she jumped up and finally landed a vicious punch on the side of Harrison's head. She then quickly landed and bounced backwards to preemptively dodge any counterattack in case Harrison managed to survive her jumping punch.

• Love
Harrison was bouncing lightly on his toes and almost looked graceful, except that he was big that the actual grace of his movements looked oddly out of place. He saw her fall on her butt and immediately thought to help her up, but she recovered quickly and was already on her feet. This lady was one tough cookie. His head bobbed and ducked and he successfully managed to avoid her punches until the one jumping attack surprised him and he staggered a bit before he too fell to his butt with a loud thud. he smirked a bit, "Nice one."

The crowd was cheering but he couldn't tell whose side they were really on in this thing and he had half a mind to just sit there and looked too dazed to get up, but he didn't think she'd buy that so he did a flip like maneuver to get back on his feet. he'd found early on in his rehabilitation process that getting up from the ground with full leg implants wasn't as easy as with lower leg ones and he'd found the lean back and thrust up in a good method, and what worked worked in his book.

He was smart enough to realize if she connected another one of those he'd likely not be able to stand so he was a bit more watchful and careful. No sense making it easy for her. He was watching for an opening in her defense as well and he landed a glancing blow off her right jaw, but mostly caught her ear. he bounced back and growled at his missed opportunity.

Nadia stumbled a few steps from the glancing blow but quickly regained her footing. Keeping just out of Harrison's reach Nadia frowned slightly as she formulated a plan. With a sudden burst of speed, Nadia dashed in and began hammering Harrison with a flurry of blows. She ended her attack with a quick combo. A massive punch to Harrison's solar plexus and a lightning fast follow up uppercut.

He saw her stumble back and didn't give her credit for that speedy of a recovery so he was caught off guard and the uppercut found it's mark. He stumbled back and hit the mat with another loud thud. This time he saw the room spinning and didn't attempt to get back to his feet. His hand went up and he blinked a few times to clear his vision but the dizziness remained. "you win." he said as he sat and waited out the effects of the blow.

He pulled off the glove and rubbed his jaw and his fingers massaged his temple. he tried to look up but the lights and the crowd and the act of lifting his head weren't something he should have been trying to do just then and he quickly looked back down. Tough lady, he thought as he closed his eyes. after what seemed like forever, but was actually probably only five minutes he got on his hands and knees and then used the ropes to heft himself up. He extended his hand and smiled, "Excellent technique Doctor."

There crowd cheered as Harrison hit the mat a second time. Mixed in were groans of despair as the losers of their bets handed over the winnings to the smug winners. Taking off her gloves, Nadia whistled for attention. "Ok everyone get back to work! You got what you wanted, so if I catch any of you giving Harrison a hard time I will have you spar a local!" The crowd slowly dispersed, a few nods of respect and friendly back Pat's were given to Harrison as well as a bottle of water. Striding over to Harrison, Nadia shook his hand firmly. "Damn good fight there Harrison, been ages since somebody knocked me down. You ever feel like sparring again just holler at me. Now as much as I would like to goof off some more I have a mountain of paperwork to go through. I trust you can find your way out of here, and if anyone is still giving you a hard time you tell them to shove it." Giving Harrison a friendly punch on the shoulder, the seemingly tireless Nadia slipped out of the ring and jogged out of sight. The few workers that remained were the ones on break and they seemed occupied by eating their lunches.

• Love
Harrison chuckled, "I'll let you know when I have some free time and I'm not worried about my boss at the hospital." he grinned, "I'll remember how quick you are next time..." He tipped his head when she noted her work load and gave her a brisk nod, "I'll go make sure Sammy is done and then I'll head back upstairs. Doctor Brandford is still recovering from that attempt on her life, So I'll still be a bit scarce down here for a few weeks I'd think."

He watched her jog away and pulled off the gloves. he felt bad about those who'd lost money, but they should have realized he wasn't likely to win. He hadn't sparred in years and she had the definite advantage of practice and home court as well. He set the gear aside and went back to Sammy. He shrugged, "Sorry about that..now..what else needs done?"

Cassandra and Jen made a long slow journey to the dining hall, as Cassandra refused help and plodded along on her own. Jem was near in case she was needed but didn't interfere otherwise. It was far more exhausting than she'd estimated, though she'd never say as much. They ate and sat for a time talking, and allowing sufficient time for Cassandra to rest before making the same slow trip back to the med bays. Once they were inside she made her way to the main desk and made a BUNCH of notes about pain levels, fatigue as well as sensations and control levels in her legs.

Jen shook her head, "You do realize that you can rest. You don't have to work all the time....especially now...after ...all this.."

Cass looked up from her tablet full of notes, "I don't want to forget anything..." she said honestly. She wasn't totally sure she would retain information as she used to or how Harrison's implant was integrated. she needed to ask him more questions but he wasn't there, so..making notes was the next best thing. "I'm really sorry about all the trouble Jen. I knew Graves was a maverick and had ..interesting means of obtaining goods and supplies, but I never believed he'd do anything like this. If I had even suspected he had or was capable of it I wouldn't have brought him here."

Jen sighed, "I know. I was mad...but I have seen the good the medications did, and the vaccines. I never questioned it either. I'm not sure why I never realized that no one else could get the things we could, or why. I'm glad everyone is ok...well...I wouldn't have been too upset if Butthead Edwards wasn't ok...but I'm glad the director is. He's actually very generous and thoughtful...nothing like everyone always says he is."

Cass grinned, "Oh he's scary when he wants to be...but if he is...usually it's deserved. He's fair and reasonable. He has a difficult job here, and so far I have to say....I admire the way he runs things. Hopefully I can earn his trust back after all of this."

Sammy was in the middle of untangling a nest of wires that was as big as her head. Peeking around the wire ball shyly, Sammy shrugged. "Umm...I think it is d-done, at least t-the physical aspects. All that i-is left is to test the software, but I can do s-software blindfolded. T-thanks for the help, I hope your friend g-gets better soon.

In the medical wing, the main lobby door opened to reveal a smiling Jerry. Walking in, the shark toothed man made his way to Cassandra's workspace. Nodding respectfully, Jerry tapped his datapad against his leg. "Good evening, just checking up on the good doctor. How goes the recovery? I ask because the Director wanted a possible estimate on how long the recovery process will take."

Harrison grinned at her. She was a cute ball of nerves but she was really good at what she did and he respected that. She was much farther along in her expertise at that age than he was. He felt sure she was going to be creating marvels in not time at all. "So do I. Let me know if you need anything though ok? I'm only an memo away." He waved and made his way back to the med bays.

Cassandra looked up when the doors slid open and smiled at Jerry, "Good evening Jerry." His demeanor was much less critical and worrisome now and she was glad of it. There was enough stress in here without that added to it. "I'm doing well thank you Went up to the dining room just a bit ago." His question had her quiet for a minute as she looked over her notes thoughtfully. "My best guess is about a week to ten days with optimum recovery but as long as a month with a slow one. So far my nerves and muscles are responding well, but it's difficult to say that will continue. I am hopefuly though that it will be the shorter estimate."

Harrison walked in on that last sentence and lifted a brow, "And what was that shorter estimate?" Seeing Jerry he knew what they were talking about.

Jen tipped her head, "She told him a week to ten days."

Casssandra threw a look at jen and whispered, 'Traitor."

Harrison lifted his eyes to the ceiling and then back to level on Jerry. "If that is right it will be a bloody miracle. Not that I have never seen one, because I have, but maybe two weeks to three is a safer estimate."

Cassandra sighed, "I can send daily reports up to the director if he'd like to keep tabs on this closer." For whatever reason, and who knew at this point. The Director always had plans, and she'd like to hope that he'd trust them enough to continue seeing her team as a vital part of the bigger mission here.

Jerry laughed softly as Harrison poked a hole in Cassandra's plans. Making a few notes on his datapad, Jerry leaned against a counter. "Well it is not all bad, consider this a way to practice what you preach so to say. After the little security incident, Director Valentine wanted a possible back up in case anything happened to you. If our only doctor is out of commission, who will take care of the rest of us? I just sent you a list of possible recruits, the Director wants to expand the abilities of the medical wing. There are five files of possible recruits, select two that you think would do well here. After that there will be the interviews and various paperwork but that is all on my end. Just rest up and heal, even doctors take sick days every once in awhile... right?"

"I'm sure you've heard that doctors are the worst patients, Jerry." she said with a cynical sort of grin on her lips, "I do try to strictly adhere to my own directives, even if I push them a bit. Nothing can be learned otherwise." She tapped her tablet, "I'm not sure if Doctor Haser created such fail safe systems in others but if he did, my notes and Harrison's may be the difference between one of the others living or dying. I had meant to ask if there was any way to find out such information...I hope it is not too late to do so. I find it hard to believe he was exploiting only myself." She was aware of her renown, but she was also humble enough to realize she was only one cog in a huge engine of ever increasing medical knowledge.

She accepted the file and nodded, "This is another thing I was going to communicate to the Director. He seems to be one step ahead of me all the time." She chuckled a bit, "It bothered me to go on that mission and leave the facility without staff as well. This is welcome news given my condition and Harrison's work with the R&D department a few days a week." She flipped open the file folder, "When do you need my recommendations? Or would you like me to look these over while you visit and you can leave with them now?"

Harrison was glancing at the list over her shoulder, also glad for the extra staffing as long as it wasn't someone like Edwards. He mentally shuddered at the thought. "can we request a supply officer too? not necessarily to do what Graves did, but to be in charge of ordering things and keeping them organized in the back? None of us really have time to do that...not if we get busy."

Cassandra nodded, "that's true....wouldn't need to be a medical person, though some knowledge of things is helpful it's not necessary. Just needs to be an organized person."

Jerry waved his hand dismissively at Cassandra's question about her answer speed. "Take your time with this, it is a big deal when we recruit someone. You don't think we just snatch people up off the street do you? Hell your name was on my desk the first time you worked with the Saints. As you can imagine the Director is very careful when bringing in new people. Think of this as a way to nudge the Director's decision in the right direction. If you need a deadline then send your report to me in a week." Scratching his chin, Jerry bobbed his head a few times when Harrison asked about a supply officer. "I can see how the extra help would be needed. Give me some time, hopefully we can find a suitable choice in house so to speak."

Running a hand through his short hair, Jerry absentmindedly clicked his serrated metal teeth together. "I will fill out the proper forms to get send you all of Haser's work when I get back to my office. While I am here is there anything you want me to push up to the Director's desk?"

• Love
Cassandra smiled, "I do realize he is very careful, and now I have see why...first hand." She scrunched up her face a bit and looked up at him askance, "And yes....I like deadlines. You will have our recommendations in a week." He spoke of her first work with the saints and she smiled, "I had a little combat experience before that but nothing quite that intense. They are well trained and I felt completely safe even in the chaos of being shot at...which is odd in many ways." She leaned back in her chair and grabbed hold of the arm as she tipped a bit, "That's annoying..anyway...The only thing I think needs to be addressed at this time is the possibility that not all the poison components came here. I can give you a list of the individual ingredients to create it, and maybe you can be sure there aren't any more cases of them scattered about the facility."

Harrison was pleased Cass had said 'our' recommendations. They all had to work with whoever and it would be good to all agree on the other staff. "Thank you Jerry. I appreciate your working on that...I admit we were all a little spoiled by having Graves in there keeping track of everything."

Point listened. When Jerry asked his question she cleared her throat and waited for him to glance her way, "Um...This is going to sound silly I'm sure..but...are there ever events here that aren't work related? Ways for people to socialize and just relax? I don't know..like a dinner dance or a play?" She blushed deep red, "I could use a bit of ... low stress activity...if it's possible."

Cass grinned at her, "That's an interesting suggestion Jen. Maybe you aren't the only one, especially after the events of the last few days. Seems like a lot of people are feeling the tension."

Harrison had seen it first hand down in the R&D lab. He wasn't generally one for socializing but he wouldn't mind sparring with Doctor Brunel some more, verbal sparring that is.

Jerry gave Harrison a small bow and waved his hand dismissively. "I can assure you there are no more relics of the poison on this planet. We did a very thorough sweep, but if you think we might have missed something a list of ingredients wouldn't hurt." Turning to look at the now empty supply desk, Jerry tapped his chin thoughtfully. "It is easy to forget how tedious simple things can be when you have good help. I will put in a request for a new and more...ahem, reliable supply officer. It might take some time I must warn you."

When Point suggested a recreational event Jerry arched an eyebrow in surprise but shortly burst into hearty laughter. Quickly composing himself, Jerry let out a few more chuckles then bowed to Point. "My apologies Miss Point, your suggestion just took me by surprise. Trust me it has been a long time since someone suggested something I haven't thought of already." Making a few notes on his datapad, Jerry grinned happily. "You may be on to something, this is a very high stress environment. I wish I could see the Director's face when he reads your suggestion."

The medical wing main doors opened and the sound of precise and measured steps quickly approached. Rounding the corner, Natalya strode in with a cold glare already on her face. Jerry to his credit gave Natalya a quick salute before walking out with an apologetic look on his face. Once Jerry left, Natalya simply stood there glaring at Cassandra for a solid thirty seconds before speaking. "Surprise inspection, wait in the lobby." Trailing in behind the icy Major were several security officers with various scanning devices. There was a quick but thorough search and soon the officers were walking back out the door. With her new Major rank badge on her chest, Natalya let out an angry huff. "Do not expect any more preferential treatment, from now on you all will face the same consequences as everyone else." With her demon eye glowing a bright red, Natalya turned and stomped out of the medical wing.

• Love