Cass stopped them at a coffee cart and then they continued on to the hovertaxi. She frowned a bit at hearing all the actual parks had a waiting list. "Hmm...man eating plants...I guess that'll do in a pinch...at least they're maybe green..." She chuckled a bit, "Watch...we'll get there and they'll be neon purple with pink polka dots..." She leaned against his shoulder a bit and peeked at the list, "I'm requesting a greener vacation next time...green without the attack choppers and snipers and biowarfare and yeah..."

She reached over and touched the museum and the taxi arrived a few minutes later. They stepped inside and were off. "These things are a bit disorienting, but it's nice that you can get all over without walking..." This would ahve been a seriously long vacation for her if that had been the case. Walking was getting a little easier with each passing day, but she knew she'd be exhausted later. It was worth it though. They were getting a day all to themselves with no drama or craziness and that was worth a little pain and strain.

Reactions: Dunruffle
Walking into the museum with Cassandra, Erik looked around and spotted a large sign advertising the plant exhibit. "Looks like it is this way." Walking down the hall, the two would enter into a massive greenhouse. The air was humid and there was a faint odor of rotting flesh but there were several groups of people following tour guides as the guides pointed out various plants. Several footpaths bordered by waist height wire fencing wound through the greenhouse as holographic signs displayed various pieces of information about the exhibit.

Some of the carnivorous plants were easy to spot, like the basketball sized venus flytraps or plants that menacingly waved thorn covered vines. Other carnivorous plants blended into the surrounding greenery and could only be spotted after some careful examination. Picking a path at random, Erik walked with Cassandra until they stopped at a holo-sign. "Huh, Raflutian Man Trap. Sounds ominous." The plant in question sat in the middle of a patch of dirt looking fairly harmless. A small tree covered with brightly colored fruit sprouted from a base of thick leaves that glistened with moisture. Reading the sign, Erik stroked his beard as he examined the plant. "The man trap uses brightly colored fruit to lure in animals and humans. The fruit contain hidden needles full of a fast acting neurotoxin, upon something touching the fruit the needles stab outwards to pierce the skin of whatever is in range. The neurotoxin causes paralysis and death within seconds , the leaves at the base of the tree secrete a potent digestive acid that slowly dissolve anything that touches them." Erik eyed the colorful fruit warily as he frowned. "Jeez that sounds like a bad way to go."

• Love
Reactions: PoetLore
Cass followed along and was slapped by the humidity upon entering the greenhouse, "Woo...warm in here." she commented as they moved along the paths and read the pop up holographic signs. The slight smell of rotting flesh reminded her that these were not only beautiful plants but deadly as well. even so, it was nice to be surrounded by living plants and the smell of earth instead of smog and chrome.

They stopped in front of the Raflutian Man Trap and she admired the colors and scent it gave off while he read the details of the plant's menace. "indeed...but at least you would be dead before you were digested...some of these would not provide that mercy." she leaned her shoulder against his, "don't worry though..I'll protect you.." She smirked a bit and grinned up at him, that sparkle there in her eyes and an unusual glow to her that was normally masked by her laser focus on work.

They continued down the path and saw what appeared to be a huge tree in the center of the greenhouse. There was a much taller fence around it with smaller links in it to keep hands away from the bark of the tree entirely. Not that anyway was being stupid enough to touch anything in the museum, but she imagined it was for precautionary purposes. The tree rose to the glass roof and then bowed a bit as it stretched to gather as much sunlight as it possibly could. There was a shorter perimeter fence, waist high that surrounded the trunk. while they looked at it a bright red fruit fell from the higher branches to the ground within that perimeter. the fruit cracked open on impact and a snakelike creature slithered from it.

"Well that wasn't what I expected..." she said and touched the information button and read the hologram. "Jokta Tree, native to Pleva Three, is the only plant known to produce living seed. The fruit feed the 'child' and then it falls to the earth where it then inhabits the roots of the tree and keeps the soil nutrient rich. The snakelike 'children' are among the most venomous discovered, able to kill a grown man in less than two minutes. All the 'children' feed off any kill made pulling the carcass to the tree's roots for it to decompose and feed the tree itself." She blinked, "that is both fascinating and mortifying..." she said gawking at it. "I sure hope no one gets hold of the toxins in this place..."

Erik chuckled and gently put one arm over Cassandra's shoulder. "Well I'm glad you are here in case I need saving." Stopping at the tree, Erik watched the snake-like creature wiggle around and shrugged. "I would think that the poisons in here are nothing compared to some of the man-made stuff. Besides don't medical companies use the toxins to develop new drugs? Like how rattlesnake venom was used for anti-cancer agents?" The sound of excited chattering sounded from nearby and Erik curiously walked over to investigate. A small crowd had gathered near a gated off display as a staff member parked a cart full of chunks of raw meat. Putting on some thick protective gloves, the staff member pulled out a long pole with a hook on the end. Putting a large chunk of meat on the pole, the staffer carefully maneuvered the piece of meat over to a bush full of razor sharp jaw-like leaves. When the meat was in range, the leaves snapped outwards and ripped the meat off the pole and devoured the meal in a frenzy of snapping jaws and acidic juices. The audience clapped happily and followed the staffer as he moved the cart to the next exhibit. Walking over to the now empty display, Erik motioned for Cassandra to join him. "You see that? That bush thing ate the meat like a bunch of leafy pirhanas. Never seen that before."

• Love
cass grinned and leaned into Erik when he put his arm around her. This was turning into a weird but interesting date. she turned to look at him, "True...but not all poisons in nature can be refined into usable medicines. Ones that contain neurotoxins for example are particularly difficult to separate into usable parts...which is why some bites and stings are fatal even now." She gave a bit of thought to the other side of the comment, "Man made toxins are misnamed...they are still naturally occurring just not together. it's more like poisonous gene splicing. I'd more call is man interference than creation but you're probably right about the kill ratios of those kind."

Following the crowd to the next exhibit she blinked at the plant. Surely it wasn't a plant. "yeah...I saw that...it doesn't seem possible for that to be a plant..." She looked at the leaves which very obviously had what appeared to be spiked green teeth and it used them as a piranha would in a frenzy. "Maybe it has some piranha DNA in it?" She shook her head though, "This is not your normal museum crowd though...interesting things they're cheering about..." She was chuckling as she spoke, "I guess I'm weird too because this is fascinating...good choice Mr. Ritkof."

Erik smiled and gave Cassandra a quick peck on the cheek. "Well I am glad you like it. What would you-." He was cut off as his communicator beeped loudly, making Erik frown and pull it out of his pocket. Looking at the screen, Erik let out a huff of annoyance. "That's weird, LT wants us back in a few hours. Says the Major has something she wants to talk about." Sighing, Erik put on a small but strained smile and put his communicator back in his pocket. "Well we have a few hours to kill and I am in no rush to hurry back to Major ice queen. You have anywhere you wanna go?"

• Love
Cass blushed at the peck on her cheek but she didn't have time to actually enjoy it before the beeper went off. She frowned at the message and huffed a bit, "So much for a smooth vacation..." she smirked and then chuckled at his comment, "He probably means she has something to discuss with the Saints. She hasn't said two words to me since that whole fiasco with Marcus." She wasn't able to hide her feelings about that at all, and since they were alone she didn't bother trying. She missed Natalya's candid friendship and felt that "major Ice Queen' was the only other woman at the facility that actually understood her at all. Breaking someone like Natalya's trust was a fatal blow to a friendship, she knew that much but it still hurt. Of all the things Marcus had ever done, this was by far the most hurtful thing.

"You know what?" she said pushing those dark thoughts away viciously, "It's stifling hot in here...how about we find some ice cream and indulge like kids? Someplace that has sprinkles...and chocolate vanilla swirl soft serve sounds about perfect." Looking up at him realizing she had no idea at all if he even liked ice cream but having the most hopeful expression on her face, she looked very different from the driven ambitious woman he was used to seeing. "I bet your beard looks cute with ice cream in it..." She grinned trying to tempt him further. But her own flirting was getting the better of her normally logical mind as she pictured that and wondered how sweet that kiss would be.

Erik gave Cassandra a concerned look as she lamented her lack of friendship with Natalya, shrugging slightly he wrapped an arm around her as they walked out of the museum. "Well maybe you will get a chance to talk to her about things? You never know, though I to be honest I wouldn't hold my breath. The Major seems to be the type to hold onto grudges forever." When Cassandra brought up icecream, Erik laughed and nodded in agreement. "You know I actually have never had ice cream before. But I will trust you and get whatever you get." Now outside, Erik looked around the busy pedestrian walkway at the multitude of shops and stores around them. "So you have any clue where an ice cream shop would be?"

• Love
Cass leaned into his side and sighed, "I'd like to think at some point I will get a chance to clear the air, but I'm not holding my breath either. I know she takes her job seriously and that was a hard thing that went down." She shrugged and then stopped in her tracks when he said he'd never had ice cream. The expression on her face was comically unbelieving of his statement, "Never? Not even when you were a kid??" her arm wrapped around his back and she gave him a squeeze, "You have been so powerfully deprived...it is almost criminal."

Once they were outside she looked around and shook her head, "No idea at all, but if we can find one of those information things..." She walked with him a little way down the street and there at the corner was a screen for navigating the area. Choosing the find feature she put in soft serve ice cream and only one entry popped up. "Well...that makes it easy!" she laughed, "I guess we are headed for Shelby's Sundae Salon." She was smiling so wide. "I've always preferred cones with sprinkles, but you might like a sundae...it's ice cream in a dish with toppings on it...or a banana split...no matter what it's divine, especially on a hot muggy day like this."

They had to walk a few blocks to get there but once they did she was delighted to see it was something out of an ancient Earth movie with a black and red checkered floor pattern and booths with black table tops and red padded seats. "Oh...Erik! This is perfect!"

A young girl with black pig tails greeted them, "Come on in folks...have a seat anywhere you see an open booth. Ginnie will be right with you."

They did have to look for a table, but they found one near the rear of the seating area and she sat down. "My mouth is actually watering...I haven't had ice cream since college."

Ginnie overheard that and shook her head, "Then you are bloody overdue Miss."

"He's never had it at all..." Cass said pointing to Erik.

Ginnie looked at him in horrified shock and then turned to the whole place and announced in a LOUD voice, "ICE CREAM VIRGIN IN THE HOUSE!" which was met with loud applause and a lot of oohs and ahhhs. Ginnie turned back to them, "Yours is on the house sir...we call it the cherry breaker. Intended to turn you into a lifetime addict." She looked at Cass, "And for you miss?"

She was still shocked at the girl's announcement and hadn't even given her own order any thought at all. "Oh yes...sorry...Usually I get a chocolate vanilla swirl cone with sprinkles but I think I want a banana split."

Ginnia nodded, "You look as if you could use a bit of weight on those bones. I approve. Be right back folks."

Cass noticed that the girl was equally open and free with her opinions to the other guests as well and everyone seemed to be entertained and expecting it. "Maybe she's a local attraction?" she asked out loud looking at Erik, "Do you like cherries?' she asked not even thinking how that might be taken in another way other than the actual fruit in his free offering.

When the girl gave her loud announcement, Erik arched an eyebrow questioningly but decided not to say anything. Looking around at the decor of the ice cream shop, Erik chuckled at Cassandra's question. "I am going to assume you are talking about the fruit. They are okay I guess, I don't hate the taste but I would not say it is on my list of favorite foods." Leaning back slightly in his chair, Erik idly tapped his mechanical fingers on the table and looked at Cassandra. "So did you used to eat ice cream a lot when you were younger? I know in old-timey holovids it was commonplace but actual ice cream is pretty rare nowadays. Just because of how it needs to be stored and stuff. Plus most food companies have their own brand of desserts that are easy to ship and maintain."

• Love
Cass nodded, "My dad used to make it himself. He only made a small amount and we always ate it all because like you said. it takes a lot to store it. Still...it was wonderful and brings back only good memories." She watched Ginnia bringing their selections to the table and grinned, "Well, if you really dislike the cherry I'll swap you because I like it fine." She winked at him.

Ginnia put the two selections down and Cass' eyes went wide and the size of their offerings. Her banana split was ten scoops of ice cream with three bananas, pineapple syrup, chocolate syrup, and strawberry syrup topped with nuts and whipped cream and three cherries. Erik's had more ice cream, one scoop of each flavor offered it seemed and was smothered in cherries. Ginnia smiled at Erik, "here's your challenge...finish the bowl and you win five hundred credits." You have an hour to complete this challenge should you choose to accept it. Go." She tapped a button on her wrist and an overhead timer began to count down the hour.

Cass lifted a brow and when Ginnia left them alone she chuckled, "So Does the mighty Saint accept this challenge??"

Erik arched his eyebrows in surprise when their ice cream was brought out. Experimentally poking his spoon into the frozen dessert the bearded medic let out a huff of air. "If you think I am foolish enough to try to eat this whole thing you are dead wrong. Maybe Dante could eat all this, but finish it in an hour? Just looking at this monster is making my blood sugar levels go up. Does ice cream have take home containers? There is enough here to feed the whole squad with some left over." Taking slow but methodical bites of the assortment of ice cream flavors, Erik nodded approvingly. "Well this stuff is pretty tasty. I like the chocolate, vanilla, and fruit flavors. Not a big fan of this minty green one with chocolate chips in it, makes me think of toothpaste. Oh and feel free to help yourself to mine if you want anything. How is yours?"

• Love
Cass laughed and shook her head, "Sadly no...it melts into a gooey syrup usually if you try." She took a few bites of hers and smiled, "Oh this is wonderful!" she closed her eyes and let it slide down her throat. She looked at him trying little bits of everything with a tender expression. "OH? Mint chocolate chip...I can see that." She agreed, "I'm partial to chocolate and strawberry...and I like the texture of the banana with it, but not everyone does."

She ate a good bit of hers but there was over half of it still remaining when she had to admit defeat. "I'f I'd realized they were this generous I would have suggested we bring the whole gang here and shared one...maybe we can before we return home." She suggested, "if you think you could manage another assault on your sugar levels.." She grinned and winked at him as she ate the cherry off the top of her banana split.

She sighed then, "We probably have to head back now....don't we?" She looked and sounded more than a little disappointed that their date was coming to an early close. "This was great though...I like this relaxed you."

Erik somehow managed to eat a little more than a third of his enormous ice cream bowl before leaning back in his chair and patting his stomach. "Whew! That will probably hold me over for the rest of the day. I agree about coming back sometime, though hopefully with some regular sized portions." Looking at his watch Erik sighed and nodded. "Yeah we should probably get going if we want to be back on time. I really don't want to give Major hardass a reason to get even more pissed off." Standing up, Erik walked over to Cassandra and extended a helping hand as he smiled warmly. "Same here Cassandra, it was refreshing to get some alone time with you and see you outside of your work mode. Hopefully whatever the Major wants is not a big deal and we can get back to our vacation."

Saying goodbye to the waitress, Erik and Cassandra found a taxi stand and were quickly back at the hotel. Kirst was waiting with a somewhat stressed look on his face. "Hope you two had fun. Seems Major Sokolov did come on this trip to relax. She wants everyone to meet in her room in ten minutes for a mission briefing." Giving them both a quick nod, Kirst walked away as Erik sighed loudly and looked at Cassandra. "Well so much for an easy mission." Ten minutes later everyone was crammed into Natalya's room except for Harrison and Nadia. Natalya icily told the two engineers that they were not part of the mission and therefore should just stay out of the way. Nadia tried to argue but Natalya simply shoved her out the door and locked it. Xanders had opened the door for Jen to leave but surprisingly Natalya said the petite nurse would be part of the mission. Moving to a position where everyone could see her, Natalya pulled out a holodisk and presented a three dimensional map of a section of the city.

"I have received word that a Confederate officer wants to defect and provide intel in exchange for protection. He has been hiding on the planet but seems to be sure that Confederate agents are closing in on him. Due to the short window of opportunity and the need for a quick response we have been chosen to carry out the mission. The plan is as follows, we will split up into two teams. The contact team and protection team. The contact team will meet with the target, assess whether his claims have merit, and prep him for extraction. The protection team will blend into the surrounding area and watch for any possible threats. Once the target has been acquired the protection team will extract the target and deliver him to a nearby safehouse. Squad 8-2 will make up the protection team while myself, Doctor Brandford, and Nurse Point will be the contact team. Squad 8-2, because time is of the essence we have only been provided with sidearms. Anything larger takes longer to deliver and we simply do not have the luxury of time to prepare. Any questions?"

Cass looked around the room, "I think these ARE normal portion sizes, so maybe we bring everyone and order one or two and all share??" she thought seven or eight people could of these, but as she thought it she looked at the table next to them and noticed that one guy actually had eaten a whole banana split alone. her stomach hurt just thinking about it. She accepted his hand and smiled a genuine smile at him and his words, "Hopefully whatever this is won't take the entire vacation...maybe only tonight if we're lucky..."

They cuddled in the taxi a bit before they arrived at the hotel and were greeted by Kirst. She made a face and groaned, "Well...that sounds ominous..." They followed and she too was surprised by Harrison and Nadia's exclusion and Jenn's inclusion. Harrison must be going nuts. She listened to the briefing and realized why Jenn had been included. Of all of them, Jenn was the least intimidating and most casually friendly. Hopefully she'd be able to put the guy at ease in a way neither she nor Natalya could.

Jenn sat quickly when she was informed she was actually PART of the mission. Her eyes were wide as the holographic image popped up and she listened to the plan. "So...I just have to smile and make this guy feel safe right??"

Meanwhile Harrison was pacing the hallway like a caged lion. "This is a bunch of ..." he started to lay out a string of expletives but thought better of it when some people who were not part of their party came out of the elevator and eyed him curiously. He smiled and they hurried to their room and he then commenced pacing. He looked at Nadia, "Did you know anything about a mission??" he asked but figured she was just as much in the dark as he was. "I don't like this at all..." He sighed though and stopped pacing, "You ok?"

Natalya gave Jenn and Cassandra a cold stare as the Saints collected their pistols from a black box next to Natalya's bed. "No, you are part of the mission as a possible replacement for Doctor Brandford should she be killed while the defector requires medical aid. You have enough training for basic first aid and you do not look threatening enough to warrant scrutiny. Mister Harrison is to remain here. Should both of you perish on the mission the base still needs someone with enough medical skills to staff the medbay. Follow my instructions and do not do anything to compromise the mission, or I will send you to a penal mining colony." Dante looked like he wanted to say something to comfort Jenn but a quick glare from Natalya made the large man lower his head and busy himself with his pistol.

Outside, Nadia watched Harrison fume and shrugged her shoulders. "I only heard of this mission just recently like the rest of you. Personally I am annoyed that everyone else gets to go do secret mission stuff and I have to sit around and do nothing. Cool your jets Harrison, getting yourself all worked up won't solve anything. My guess is the Director wants something done that only miss ice-heart can do."

• Love
Cass almost laughed at the explanation given to Jenn, but with a major force of sheer willpower she managed to keep her expression stony. She had no intention of dying in the middle of the first vacation she'd had in decades. "Am I permitted to carry a gun?' she asked before she took one. She'd been to the range and presumably passed their screening, but since they didn't provide any kind of paperwork, she wasn't sure if she was allowed to carry their weapons in such situations. Never hurt to ask though, so she waited.

Jenn blinked and looked at Cass. "If she dies?" She swallowed hard and looked at the men who were gathering weapons and loading them and looking for the first time since she'd met them, like the deadly killing force that they actually were. Suddenly the reality of the company she was keeping hit her like a brick. She felt shaken and a lot nauseous but then she noticed that no one else seemed worried or even ruffled by this news. They were the best at what they did, at least that's what Cass had said, so in an uncharacteristic show of courage she nodded at the Major and stood her ground without cowering or weeping like she'd initially wanted to do.

Harrison dragged a hand through his hair and sighed, "Sorry...I hate that the women are going off into trouble..." He huffed a bit, "Not that I could do a better job of protecting them than the Saints can, but..." he kicked at a chair, "They a re my people to protect...ya know?" He looked over at her sideways, "They are all the family I have left..."

Natalya gave Cassandra a quick glare and shook her head. "Absolutely not. The last thing i need is for an accidental weapon discharge in the middle of the mission. Squad 8-2 is more than enough protection. I suggest you keep irrelevant questions to yourself next time doctor." Natalya took a pistol from the box and after a quick check and ammo count she slid the sleek looking pistol into a concealed holster beneath her jacket. "Lieutenant, are your men ready?" Kirst nodded as the Saints concealed their own pistols. "Yes ma'am. Awaiting orders." Nodding satisfactorily, Natalya brushed past Cassandra and walked over to the door. "The meet has been scheduled two hours from now in a nearby plaza. Once there we will blend into the crowd and wait. Let's go." Opening the door, Natalya pointed at Nadia. "You and mister Harrison are to remain here at the hotel. Keep your communicators on your person should you need to be contacted. We will return in a few hours." Nadia rolled her eyes but nodded. "Yeah yeah I got it. Don't have too much fun without us."

After a short but silent hoverbus ride the group arrived at the plaza and took their positions. Nadia, Cassandra, and Jen sat at an cafe table with food and drinks as the Saints lurked nearby. Upon arriving at the plaza a generic looking man quickly handed a bright purple scarf to Natalya then disappeared into the crowd, most likely one of Director Valentine's agents. With the scarf around her neck, Natalya sipped at a cup of coffee and pretended to talk to the other two women. In reality she was conversing with the Saints who had taken various positions around the plaza.

"Don't just sit there, make conversation. You both are being quite obvious that you are not here for fun. Just talk about anything." Natalya spoke to Cassandra and Jen as he eyes darted around. She wore a smile on her face but to those who knew her the smile's warmth did not reach her cold eyes. The hustle and bustle of the sea of people in the giant plaza ebbed and flowed as taxis, trams, and personal cars dropped off or picked up passengers. The ambient noise was a dull roar as hundreds of people talked and moved about.

Cass barely kept from rolling her eyes at Natalya's snide remark about her question. She'd enver 'accidentally' discharged a weapon in her life, but there was no telling that to someone like her. So she held in her frustrations and followed as expected. She did give Jenn a reassuring smile and squeeze of her arm as she passed.

The hoverbus ride was agonizing for her in the uneasy silence. She was used to the Saints cutting up and being themselves before such things, but here they sat silent and emotionless. She wasn't sure it was a good thing, but time would tell. They arrived at the plaza and the three women sat at the cafe and ordered food. She wasn't hungry but she forced herself to eat a few bites.

Jenn was beyond terrified by this whole thing but she tried to follow Cass' example and eat her food. her hand was shaking so bad that most of it was falling from her fork though so she finally gave up. When Natalya spoke to them instead of to the others she was shocked, "Oh...I thought we were here as eye candy or something since we aren't allowed to DO anything." She was a bit peeved by the major, but that was nothing new. "You are used to this shit show I am not...so give it a break Miss high and mighty..."

Cass blinked at Jenn's outburst. "Jenn...that's not fair..."

Jenn flashed a look at Cass, "Oh...don't even defend her. She's been treating you like crap for something that isn't even your fault..."

Cass wasn't really in the mood to deal with two angry people, "That isn't something to be discussed at this time...and it is between the major and myself." She leaned back and looked at Natalya then, "She's right about herself though...sorry I should have been conversing." she'd noticed the man and the purple scarf but she hadn't made comment or acted like she'd seen him. "So...lovely weather we're having...maybe we can arrange for a swim later...maybe a bit of volleyball in the pool?"

Jenn looked at her like she was nuts but crossed her arms and glared at both of them. To an onlooker it would appear the group was having some kind of disagreement and not waiting for a clandestine meeting, which was what it needed to look like.

Harrison watched the group leave and looked at Nadia, "My level of dislike for that woman doesn't even have a word to describe it."

Natalya arched an eyebrow in mild surprise as Jenn berated her, obviously not expecting the nurse to do anything to oppose her. Turning to glare at Jen with both eyes, Natalya coldly spoke in a harsh tone. "It seems you fail to comprehend the full ramifications of what happened with that worm of a man you call a doctor. I was lenient with Doctor Brandford and put my trust in the fact that she could handle her department's business. What I should have done is thrown that weasel into an acid bath and done a full department sweep of materials and personnel. Director Valentine, my mentor, was almost killed because of Brandford's personal relationship. The ONLY saving grace was that she managed to treat the director. If not for that I would have had you all executed and your records changed to military traitors."

It was almost as if the air around Natalya dropped a few degrees when she was angry and a nearby waiter veered away from offering to refill their drinks. Suddenly a bedraggled ginger haired man slid into the open seat and looked around in a paranoid fashion. "Y-you! Purple scarf! T-they said a woman in a p-purple scarf! Please you have to get me somewhere safe please! I need-" Natalya's hand wrapped around his wrist like an iron claw as she discreetly pressed her pistol against his ribs. "Were you followed?" Gulping nervously the man shook his head. "N-no! But please we need to get off the planet now!" Rolling her eyes, Natalya jabbed her gun deeper into his ribs. "You are in no position to demand anything. We will take you to a nearby safehouse and then we can talk." The defector looked like he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown as sweat dripped off his nose. "No you don't understand! It is happening now! There is no time!"

Suddenly a loud boom echoed through they city canyon and everyone stopped to look around for the source. Several more booms could be heard and suddenly a woman pointed to the sky and screamed in terror. Through a gap in the overlapping city layers everyone could see a patch of sky. But quickly filling that was falling chunks of debris and a starliner that belched flame from it's decks as it fell out of the sky. Almost in unison pure panic erupted as everyone began panicking. The defector simply bolted for a nearby elevator as Natalya stood up and grabbed Jenn and Cassandra to prevent them from being swept away in the sea of people. Off in the distance, Kirst and Erik were trying to push their way to the women but were being held back by the sheer number of panicking civilians. Out of nowhere a piece of a skyscraper sized cargo ship impacted against the plaza and snapped it in half like a stale cracker. As they began to fall into the abyss, Natalya pulled Cassandra and Jenn close and tried to shield them with her body while shouting "HOLD ON!!" As they fell with an avalanche of people and debris Erik rushed to the edge of the broken platform and made to jump off but was desperately held back by Kirst. Over the roar of noise Erik cried out desperately as he watched helplessly. "CASS!!!"

[FADE TO BLACK]

The sound of groaning metal and rushing water echoed through the small cave. The cave was barely big enough to stand up in and was about ten feet in diameter, one small area partially submerged in water while fire burned brightly on the other side. Cassandra lay on slab of concrete while Jenn was nearby entangled in a broken cloth awning. Suddenly there was a fit of violent coughing and a weak voice called out. "Brandford! Point! Wake up damnit!" Natalya lay near one of the cave walls, buried from the waist down in metric tonnes of debris and rubble. The major was covered in chalk like dust, a large gash on the side of her head as she groaned in pain and clutched her ribs.

• Love