Misconceptions about adulting!

I always thought that cops were so cool when I was young. I always thought that other people thought so too.

When I grew up and became a law enforcement officer, I saw that 90% of people hate our guts for no reason. I've been spit on, told to kill myself, been called every name under the sun, and one of my friends was shot while he was out to eat with his family because that individual saw the badge. Inmates treat us better than civilians, and that's sad as fuck to me.

".. for no reason..."

*rubs her temples*

Yes. No reason.

Ywah.. keep telling you that.. I'm sure racial profiling, killing people out of the fucking blue, obsruction of justice and the general systemetic idea of modern police to opress the working class and minorities has absolutlely nothing to to with that

*rolls her eyes*

I stand by it... ACAB/ACAT
There are shit people in every profession. LEO'S are the hot topic of today's news outlets, end of story. I worked in a max security prison for 2.5 years. I worked with gang members, mafia hit men, murderers, rapists....you name it.

Again, we were treated better by inmates than civilians. Most of us were just doing our jobs. Again, trash in every profession.

Just because YOU don't like LEO's doesn't mean we deserve to be shot and stabbed and harassed because of what we decided to do with our lives. I'm testifying for a guy on death row because, while he did his crime, I don't believe that he deserves to die because of it. There are 2 prior officers who are testifying for him as well. As I stated twice, and will reiterate once again, there's trash people in every profession. There are trash people in every society in the world. Not all cops are bad because of a profession. If the news started reporting on all of the people who die because of medical malpractice (believed to be 3rd leading cause of death in the United States,) would you suddenly start hating all doctors?

But go ahead and keep trying.

To get back onto topic. As a kid I always thought adults had fewer emotions, or at least, didn't feel as much as kids feel. Partly, this I feel still holds true because we get so desensitised and also grow to be less sympathetic towards everything (boo!!!!), but most of the times we are taught to hide them so that they won't reflect or rise panic in others. I thought I would cry less as an adult compared to being a kid, but I still cry as easily (despite popular belief!!!) 😂

I also hoped I would be for sure smarter as an adult, but I have figured out that no one really is and we all just try to be because the backlash and judgement is so much harsher when you mess up as an adult compared to a kid. As if we are supposed to know the answer magically with adulthood, or something (again, also comes from less sympathy and compassion in general).

As a kid, I always thought living alone would be so much harder and so much more expensive than living with my parents. I like to joke that my dad was running a doom and gloom campaign to convince his baby girl to stay home.

Anyways, TOTAL BS. Moving out into my own place has been the best thing I ever done. I've got peace of mind, peace of spirit, and an all-around generous amount of freedom to do the things I want to do. Sorry kid me, but ur a LOSER.

• Love
Reactions: XIII
As a kid, I thought adults were allowed to do whatever they wanted, because they made up the stupid social rules I didn't understand.

Still don't understand the rules and who made them, but if anything being an adult has felt much more restrictive than being a kid.

• Haha
Reactions: PaulaVonMalotki
I think my biggest misunderstanding as a kid about being an adult was that, somehow, each adult got to have their own fairytale ending, and that they would be happy. There are no guarantees. I think there is definitely bias in movies that happy, nuclear families are commonplace. Of course why would media want to focus on unhappy things, but still, being alone/divorced seems more common nowadays. though I don't doubt there were just as many alone/divorced in the old days as there are now, or married and unhappy. The same thing goes with things like job satisfaction being 'magical' and that all adults had a say where they were going to work and why, and be able to sustain themselves and those they love.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: XIII
As a kid, I thought adults were allowed to do whatever they wanted, because they made up the stupid social rules I didn't understand.

Still don't understand the rules and who made them, but if anything being an adult has felt much more restrictive than being a kid.

Took me a Masters Degree in Human-geography and Sociology to get "who made the social rules" 😽