Miracle Girls: Out of Order OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Food for Thought
This section is going to contain various exercises and questions which players are encouraged to interact within the OOC. This is completely optional and exists primarily as a conversation starter. My hope is that it will encourage people to think about the story in a larger sense than just their particular character. This is one of my little design experiments, so if it doesn't seem successful, I have no problems discontinuing this section. I'm currently hoping to be able to update this on a weekly basis.

As our first food for thought, consider the following; Each of your characters learned something about the demigod in your interview. For example, the demigod only gave their name to two of the characters. What might this mysterious figure be like? What sorts of plans might the demigod have for your characters?
I have learnt that the demigod is an adorable tsundere who Nadia might hit on.
I mean, I learnt many deep and meaningful things!

Reactions: ☆Luna☆
So, if our character isn't on the list up front, do we wait, or post anyway?

It means you need to finish up your character and bring it to my attention.
In which case you've got at least one character waiting to be re-evaluated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! I forgot to pop in and say hi but uh... Hello >.< Imma get a post done, hopefully either today or tomorrow.

• Useful
appearance-only CS

latest

Miracle Girl Chiyoko

1789771-crop3.jpg

Adult Chiyoko

So, I just got out of class, and I've been thinking about the posts in the IC. I'm a little bit torn on the presentation of the characters, and I'm not really sure how to talk about it. Perhaps it is because I feel a bit anxious talking about people's writing styles in a critical fashion when they haven't explicitly asked for it. However, I've learned through several experiences that it is better for me to come out and say what I'm thinking rather than keep it to myself.

I'm worried that perhaps we are doing too much telling in our writing, and not enough showing. Normally it wouldn't bother me so much, but after the efforts to show only the physical components of our characters and the nature of the conflict itself, I'm worried that we are going to kill the dramatic tension by telegraphing our character's thoughts and intangibles so readily. I'm overjoyed that everyone thought about what sorts of lives the characters had lived during the week they were away, but oftentimes we were quick to let the cat out of the bag in a sense. In several instances, we've revealed the character's inner monologue and/or history explicitly rather than how it appears on the outside.

But as I said before, I feel rather nervous bringing this up because I don't want to make it sound like I think everyone did a bad job. Really, it would be more apt to say that you had a job that I never explicitly told you that you needed to fulfill. To be honest, I didn't really notice that it was even something that I wanted or expected out of the RP until I saw the counterexample. I knew something was off when I saw the very first post, but I couldn't really put my finger on it until I got to the very end. A core conflict outside of combat in this RP is the sheer difficulty of understanding other people. If we don't write our characters from an outside perspective, then we won't be in touch with the uncertainty and anxiety that our characters are going to experience. I'm worried that will make us less qualified to write from their perspective, and even make the RP less fun overall.

So, in short, I want people to keep this in mind as they write. I think that this style of writing is something that especially benefits this sort of narrative. But also, I don't want people to accept this right away just because I'm the GM. I believe that everyone's perspective is important. If you have any feeling about this, I want to hear about them.

Oh! I understand xD I suppose I just tend to fluff up my characters, especially more quiet ones with inner monologues, but, I suppose I can try and... Leave that out and perhaps attempt to take a different perspective >.< might as well get into the habbit anyways.

Oh! I understand xD I suppose I just tend to fluff up my characters, especially more quiet ones with inner monologues, but, I suppose I can try and... Leave that out and perhaps attempt to take a different perspective >.< might as well get into the habbit anyways.
I think that it will be weird in part because you will have less to write about. Quiet characters especially are going to actually feel really quiet to write for. But, what I've found works really well is to write the post with the inner thoughts, then try to replace them with how that thought might look on the outside, if it even shows up at all. I find that if you really read into a character, it is noticeable when you do this, especially to people with high empathy. I think that this is a fairly advanced writing skill since you are actually delving more into the realm of acting at this point, but it is part of what makes writing so fascinating for me. It makes me pay closer attention to the expressions that people make. It makes me want to transform those expressions into writing, even if I'm not particularly good at it yet. But anyway, I need to get to dinner. I'll come back on after some hw.

I think that it will be weird in part because you will have less to write about. Quiet characters especially are going to actually feel really quiet to write for. But, what I've found works really well is to write the post with the inner thoughts, then try to replace them with how that thought might look on the outside, if it even shows up at all. I find that if you really read into a character, it is noticeable when you do this, especially to people with high empathy. I think that this is a fairly advanced writing skill since you are actually delving more into the realm of acting at this point, but it is part of what makes writing so fascinating for me. It makes me pay closer attention to the expressions that people make. It makes me want to transform those expressions into writing, even if I'm not particularly good at it yet. But anyway, I need to get to dinner. I'll come back on after some hw.
Yeah, basically! xD I'm not implying that I am going to outright throw away the fluff to the character, just that I suppose Imma probably flip the perspectives a little and well, not just announce the inner monologues outright in the post >.< granted my posts might fall a bit short at times, I think I can make it work.

Strictly an observation, but there doesn't seem to be much of an international streak among the characters.

So, I just got out of class, and I've been thinking about the posts in the IC. I'm a little bit torn on the presentation of the characters, and I'm not really sure how to talk about it. Perhaps it is because I feel a bit anxious talking about people's writing styles in a critical fashion when they haven't explicitly asked for it. However, I've learned through several experiences that it is better for me to come out and say what I'm thinking rather than keep it to myself.

I'm worried that perhaps we are doing too much telling in our writing, and not enough showing. Normally it wouldn't bother me so much, but after the efforts to show only the physical components of our characters and the nature of the conflict itself, I'm worried that we are going to kill the dramatic tension by telegraphing our character's thoughts and intangibles so readily. I'm overjoyed that everyone thought about what sorts of lives the characters had lived during the week they were away, but oftentimes we were quick to let the cat out of the bag in a sense. In several instances, we've revealed the character's inner monologue and/or history explicitly rather than how it appears on the outside.

But as I said before, I feel rather nervous bringing this up because I don't want to make it sound like I think everyone did a bad job. Really, it would be more apt to say that you had a job that I never explicitly told you that you needed to fulfill. To be honest, I didn't really notice that it was even something that I wanted or expected out of the RP until I saw the counterexample. I knew something was off when I saw the very first post, but I couldn't really put my finger on it until I got to the very end. A core conflict outside of combat in this RP is the sheer difficulty of understanding other people. If we don't write our characters from an outside perspective, then we won't be in touch with the uncertainty and anxiety that our characters are going to experience. I'm worried that will make us less qualified to write from their perspective, and even make the RP less fun overall.

So, in short, I want people to keep this in mind as they write. I think that this style of writing is something that especially benefits this sort of narrative. But also, I don't want people to accept this right away just because I'm the GM. I believe that everyone's perspective is important. If you have any feeling about this, I want to hear about them.
I am going to go out on a limb and predict that your concerns will be resolved once we all start interacting. It is premature to consider this a problem when everyone's posts are basically introductory in nature. It is set-up. Execution is where you'll find the "show, not tell" phenomenon you're looking for. I advocate patience.

I am going to go out on a limb and predict that your concerns will be resolved once we all start interacting. It is premature to consider this a problem when everyone's posts are basically introductory in nature. It is set-up. Execution is where you'll find the "show, not tell" phenomenon you're looking for. I advocate patience.
I know that very well could be the case. I just don't think it would be fair to hold you all to standards that I do not make known. Also, I wanted to put the word out as to impact the behavior of those who have yet to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.