Mind Games (lxngdon and MaryGold)

m a r i t z a
Quinn managed to calm her down, as he always did. Maritza inhaled shakily and nodded when he spoke, making an effort to cool her skin down so she wasn't unbearable to touch. She knew that while she had no sense of temperature, everyone else most certainly did. She didn't want to hurt anyone.

Maritza sighed again and looked up at Quinn's family. It broke her heart to see that Lucy was scared of her, actually scared of her. Of course, she had the right to be. Even without her powers, Maritza was dangerous. She was volatile. She could hurt Lucy.

But she wouldn't. She wouldn't dare do something like that. She wouldn't hurt Quinn like that. Maritza wanted to get along with Lucy for her boyfriend's sake.

But Lucy had scurried away up the stairs.

Maritza sniffled, unable to keep the tears from coming. She looked up at Quinn with shame and apologeticness in her eyes. She had ruined everything.

"I'm sorry," she breathed.

Q U I N N
"You're not at fault." Quinn assured her, shrugging a shoulder and sighonh deeply.

Everyone lost control from time to time, he was sure of it. Hell, he was a living example. And, yes, he could have pictured this scene playing out more smoothly there was nothing he could do about it now, nothing he could think about fixing the situation at hand. It was a messy one and the quiet in the room only made him squirm.

The Evan's household wasn't a loud one, but after his time at the hospital and even the time he spent in brighter and Mexico he was no loner used to it. It made him nervous and uncomfortable, it was no longer the comfortable serenity he felt when at home. Now, it was awkward and nerve-wracking.

Quinn wiggles his fingers, rocking back and forth on his toes as he searched for appropiate words. Should he apologize? He clenched his fist and let out a shaky breath. "I - "

"I think it would be best if all ate dinner in our respectable rooms tonight, don't you?" It wasn't actually a question for opinion but a demand.

As disappointing as it was to hear that Quinn couldn't agree more with his father. He took Maritza's hands and led her upstairs to his room which was directly across the hall's from Lucy's. He glanced at the door once before pushing open his own room door and closing the door behind him.

He was certain one of the maids would eventually come to lead Maritza to a guest room, but in the mean time ...

"Seriously, you're not at fault. It could have gone a lot worst."

m a r i t z a
Despite Quinn's words, Maritza felt incredibly guilty. She felt like she had ruined everything, that she had blew into Quinn's life like a hurricane and destroyed everything in her path. This would have never happened if Maritza wasn't so reckless, so dangerous, so ... her.

"But your sister ..." she mumbled, sniffling slightly as she walked into Quinn's room. She looked around and found that she liked the atmosphere, simply because this was Quinn's space. But still, she felt worried sick.

"Even if I didn't mean it I'm still at fault," she continued, turning to Quinn. She wrung her hands together and bit her lip nervously. "Your sister is scared of me, and you didn't get to tell her the truth on your own terms. I took that from you."

Q U I N N
Quinn sighed and ran his fingers through his blonde curls. "Hey," He began gently and took her hand to lead to the window seat in his large yet cozy room. After she was seated and he was sitting across from her he kissed her. Slowly and sweetly.

He wasn't mad or upset and he didn't want her to be either. Most of all he wanted her to know he didn't blame her nor she should herself. He only pulled back to explain to her what his touch couldn't.

"You're right. I didn't get to tell her own my own terms but how much would that have really changed?" The lad pulled his legs and folded them. He proceeded to hold both her hands in his own. "Besides, it's not like you meant to do that. It was an accident and I understand that more than anyone else."

He smiled hoping it would reassure and or comfort her.

m a r i t z a
The kiss from Quinn was enough to soundly shut Maritza up. She leaned into his lips, feeling nothing but bliss as she marvelled in the texture and the taste. God, he was amazing. But the kiss was over far too soon for her liking.

She gripped his hands and wondered if he could feel warmth. Her ability took away her own perception of temperature, meaning that she only felt heat itself when she was using her fire. But it didn't hurt, even if the flames were scorching. They just felt like a caress across her skin.

Maritza looked up at Quinn, at his smile. She knew he didn't blame her and that she was just overreacting, like always. So, despite the guilt still niggling at the back of her mind, she smiled and nodded to Quinn.

"Okay," she murmured. She then shifted so she was sitting in his lap, wrapped her slender arms around his shoulders and kissed him on the lips again. She loved how big he was compared to her tiny size. It made her feel protected and warm.

"I like your room," she said, looking around at the room in question. She only liked it because it reminded her of him.

Q U I N N
"Yeah?"

Quinn glanced around the room, only now truly coming to realize exactly where they located. During the mist of their talk he the fact they were in his room, his old bedroom, hadn't completed registered to him. There was no helping the smile that slowly crept onto his face as he wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

It was exactly how remembered it.

The wall that was basically a bookshelf that was the exact opposite of empty, the large windows, the skylight above, the door that lead to the balcony which held his pot plants and another to his walk-in closet. In the corner his desk and sat with his computer next to another bookshelf, his queen sized bed directly across from the television mounted on the wall above the fireplace. There wasn't a speck of dust, all was neat and sparkling, the color coding was the same warm colors of white, tan and brown with hints of blue.

Fancy, but somehow the room managed to be cozy. "I do too." He chuckled into her hair and then sighed."To be honest, the books never used to be in their place."

m a r i t z a
Maritza looked around the room as Quinn did. It was obviously a place of opulence. Maritza's family was filthy rich due to their profession, but their wealth was rather subtle. Their home was not decked out in jewels or gold. Their home was huge, but the houses themselves were rather simple. Quinn's house was obviously a little more flashy.

Not that Maritza minded in the slightest. In fact, she liked it.

"Because you read all them, or because you moved them with your powers?" Maritza inquired curiously. She wanted to know as much about her boyfriend's childhood as she could. She hadn't known Quinn for very long, so there was still so much they had to learn about each other.

Maritza rested her head against his chest and kissed him on the collarbone.

Q U I N N
"Both, I think." Quinn chuckled softly after taking a moment to think it over. "I read a lot, as you know. So, I just leave my books everywhere once o finished reading them or just began to. It's the same with my puzzles."

He nuzzled her head with her nose, looking ahead and he could almost see the memories play themselves in front of him. It had been so long and yet he could remember things perfectly. He missed his home but he didn't realize how much until he actually walked through the threshold. Though the greeting with his family was less than ideal he was still happy.

"I'm not exactly the cleanest person which most people find surprising. My room was always a mesa before maids came in."
He said through a smile. He acted organized but he was a mess, even his mind was all over the place half the time. Originally, he thought that he suffered from ADHD. Boy, was he wrong.

"Oh, and Lucy always went through my things when she was younger too. She was the biggest mess maker I've ever met."

m a r i t z a
Quinn had clearly missed this place. Maritza was glad that they had come here. She understood what it was like to feel so homesick you didn't even think you could stand. That was how she had felt at the hospital. But this was different, because she was here with Quinn, with the boy she loved, and therefore, while she may have missed her family in Mexico, she felt at home with him. Maybe not exactly in this place, but with him.

"I would get into Marisol's things as a kid, but I would set fire to them as well, and I doubt Lucy did that," Maritza chuckled. Her eyes landed on the large, comfortable bed, and a mischievous look reached her eye.

Maritza climbed out of Quinn's bed, stood up, straightened out her shorts, then ran a couple of steps and jumped onto the bed with her arms and legs stretched wide. It was very comfortable, as it had looked, and she sunk into the covers, leaving a Maritza-shaped indentation. She giggled and turned onto her side, facing her boyfriend, who was still sitting at the window seat.

"If my bed back home was this comfy I would do this every night," she noted.

Q U I N N
"What? Jump on it every night like a child?" Quinn mused, standing up from his spot on the window seat and moving to look through his bookshelf. His eyes scanned the books, title after title. He wasn't searching for anything in particular, just something fun to read for the night, or calming. Anything to lift their spirits.

"You're poor mattress wouldn't be able to withstand it." He mumbled through a chuckle and plucked a hardcover large book from the shelf. A warm smile rook over his face as he flipped through the pages. "Believe or not my almost stone cold mother used to read me this." He should her the cover. It was a book full of Celtic fairy tales and legends.

"I know I don't seem like it, but I love fairy tales. Not Disney fairy tales, but the original ones written by the old dead folks." He chuckled some more softly."Like Charles Perrault, the Grimm brothers and Hans Christian Andersen. I even like some of the recent ones."

As he approached her, there was a knock on the door. He answered it to reveal there maid Anastatia carrying a tray with their dinner, which happened to be lamb stew in dinner rolls. She set it his desk like he asked her.

"How's Luce?" He couldn't help ask.

"I'm not quite sure, she seems very ... pensive." Anastatia said carefully before leaving them.

Quinn bit his bottom lip but tried to brush it off. "So, um, where was I?"

Last edited:
m a r i t z a

Maritza honestly found Quinn's love of fairy tales very endearing and an interesting fact. She loved to learn new things about her boyfriend. She loved to get to know him as if they were a normal couple without these weird powers and dark histories. It was nice, like a breath of fresh air.

When Anastasia came to give them their food, Maritza remained quiet and listened to their small conversation. The reminder of Lucy made her feel bad again, but Maritza knew Quinn didn't want her to feel guilty. She also knew that her negative thoughts hurt him due to his abilities, so she made an attempt to push those thoughts from her psyche.

"It's okay," she said, standing up and crossing the room to him. She gave him a huge, warm hug around the middle in order to help him feel better. She then took her own bowl of stew, then handed him his, and lead him over to the bed where they could sit.

"You were talking about your fairy tales," she coaxed him.

Q U I N N
"Oh, right," Quinn absentmindedly grabbed his spoon and slowly stirred his stew with it. He wasn't entirely hungry despite feeling tired from their travels. But it had been so long since he had dinner in his own home and he knew he should eat something.

Besides, it smelt absolutely delicious. He took a bite from his spoon and it was in fact delicious. The food brought a smile to his face, yet calmness and good vibes he was feeling were there because of Maritza.

"I'm an eighteen year old young lad who loves fairy tales. Not the films, but the original books." He shrugged a shoulder loosely.

Quinn repositioned himself on the bed so he was no longer sitting across from Maritza, but beside her, shoulders touching and all.
"Enough about me and my boring self." Boring in comparison to Maritza anyway. The only thing about him that made him stick out was his illness and ability.

"Tomorrow I can show you around the city. And you can truly talk with my dad and maybe Luce."

m a r i t z a

"You're not boring, you're absolutely adorable,"
Maritza insisted, leaning over to kiss him on the side of the cheek. She genuinely thought that Quinn was absolutely charming. Maybe other people disagreed with that, but she didn't care. She knew it was true.

Maritza took a bite of her stew. She was used to spicy food, but she found that the meal she had been served was absolutely delicious, even if it was quite different to what she usually ate. It was homely and warm, which meant it was comforting, and exactly what they needed in that moment. She continued to eat as Quinn spoke about their potential plans for the next day.

She certainly didn't mind the suggestion of adventuring, but she wasn't as sure about talking to Quinn's family. But she would do it, because she felt she needed to prove that she was not the dangerous criminal they might believe her to be.

"Sure," she said confidently to her boyfriend, looking up at him and nodding. "Does ... is your dad like your mum?" Strict, controlling, intimidating.

Q U I N N
Quinn laughed despite himself. "No," he answered in short and went on to elaborated more. "My parents are yin and yang. Opposites attract type." Not that meant she didn't have anything to worry about but a whole lot less than she would if his mother was around.

While his father would be patient with her, he was sure his mother's head would just about blow if she knew Maritza was in her home. But she wasn't there so they wouldn't have t worry about that. The only thing they would have to worry about was the two other Evans in the household.

"I'm sure once he gets to know you, he'll love you," Quinn kissed the side of her head.

And with that, they spent the rest of the night at peace. No one came to show Maritza to a
guest room, so she slept with Quinn much to his delight. He found easier to sleep with her and she was so warm that he needn't bother cutting on his fireplace.

Sadly, that warm slumber was interrupted by his sister shoving him awake.

"Wake up, Quinee!" She shook his shoulder. "Dúisigh!" Wake up, the words slowly registered in his head.

"Cad?" He sat up before remembering English. "What?"

"I wanted to talk." She responded, ringing her hands, but her eyes wandered over to the other individual in the bed.

m a r i t z a

When Maritza woke up the next morning, she was in an unfamiliar place surrounded by unfamiliar scents and noises, so of course she freaked out a little. She jolted awake and looked up in a panic, before she remembered she was with Quinn and in his bedroom, and this new voice was that of his little sister.

Maritza sighed and slumped back into the sleeping position she had been in, which happened to be one where she was laying atop Quinn, her tiny body resting beside his with his chest serving as a pillow. She didn't want to move, because she was so warm and comfortable, but Lucy wanted to talk, and Maritza wasn't going to be difficult.

She rolled off her boyfriend and onto her back, stretching out her thin arms and dainty legs. She was still a little jetlagged from the travels of the day before but she ignored that as she sat up and looked down at Quinn. Even with her hair in messy tangles and her pyjamas crinkled from the night's rest, she looked so gorgeous it was almost like she shouldn't exist.

"Do you want me to leave?" she asked her boyfriend quietly.

Q U I N N
"Yes, it would be extraordinary if could leave us." Lucy answered her loudly and distinctly. She openly glared daggers at Maritza but apparently couldn't stand looking at her for long. Her gaze moved on to her brother, looking very expectant for him to tell the girl in his bed to skedaddle.

Quinn only flicked Lucy's forehead making her already rosy cheeks flare up with anger. Naturally, he didn't do so to anger her, it was only an affectionate yet reprimanding gesture. Clearly, she was not in the mood for it or anything that he might have to say. She appeared to be a ticking time bomb at the moment.

"You can stay if you want."
Quinn informed Maritza, swinging his legs off the bed and faced Lucy sitting.

"No, she can't."

"And why's that?"

"Because I don't know her, yet alone trust her."

"Why? What is it you want to tell me?"
He asked curiously, raising an eyebrow and drumming his fingers against his knees.

"Um ... I wanted to talk about yesterday ..." She visibly softened, her body language, voice and all. She grew quieter as she spoke, Quinn could hardly hear her. "About the things you did. The unnatural things. How long have you been able to do it?"

Her curiosity surprised him, she didn't look the least bit afraid like she did the other day. "Years, though, I've only recent realized it was real and I could control it. Maritza has been doing it her whole life."

m a r i t z a
Lucy very obviously did not like Maritza whatsoever, and Maritza wasn't sure what she was meant to do with this information. A lot of people didn't like her and she was used to that by now, but this wasn't just some random person, this was her boyfriend's sister. If she wanted anyone to like her, it would be Lucy.

If it were anyone else she would have adamantly stayed in the bed, perhaps even glared the other person down until they left. But because this was Quinn's sister, Maritza stood up, ran her hands through her long brown hair and made her way over to the desk, which she sat on rather than the chair, and propped her elbows up on her knees while leaning her chin on her hands. She had moved away from Quinn and Lucy, but she hadn't left the room. Quinn had said she could stay, so she would.

Lucy clearly wasn't very comfortable with her, which made Maritza a little sad and brought her back to the bad first impression she had made the day before. She knew Lucy probably didn't want to hear from her but she spoke anyway.

"I'm sorry about yesterday," she said to the girl calmly, with a small crease between her perfectly arched eyebrows. A frown. "I didn't mean to scare you. Usually I have better control of my powers but I was ... really overwhelmed, I guess? I promise, it won't happen again."

She gave Quinn a look, silently asking him if that had been the right thing to do. He could read minds, so hopefully he had picked up on her message.

Q U I N N
Quinn lifted his shoulder toward Maritza in slight shrug. A shrug as in 'nice try', he smile apologetically at her already knowing what his sister was to say before it even escaped her mouth. He felt awful knowing she was trying her best to get along with Lucy.

He also knew Lucy was mainly mad at Maritza because she was mad at him.

"I should hope so."

"You sound like mom." He told her knowing it would annoy her.

"I do not."

"You so do."

"I do not."

"Out with it, Luce. You wanted tell me something, so what is it?" He frowned at his sister and watched as her face softened. He couldn't exactly get through to her head and see what was on her mind. He could easily sense her unease and read her scared and insecure thoughts.

Lucy sighed deeply and sat on the bed, holding her hands.
"I ... I can do ... different things too."

m a r i t z a
Maritza instantly got over the rejection she had felt when Lucy said what was on her mind. She could do strange things as well, just as she could, and as Quinn could, and Patrick and Leah and everyone else at that hellhole of a mental institution. She was basically saying that she had strange powers also.

That was shocking at first, but Maritza quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't. Quinn and Lucy's mother had powers too, powers very similar to that of Martiza's boyfriend. So, that could mean that the whole supernatural ability thing was genetic, that there was a scientific explanation for what was going on. But if it was genetic, did that mean Maritza had to have inherited her own abilities from someone in her family?

That made no sense. As far as she knew, she was the only person in the whole de la Fuenta family with any sort of power. Out of all of her brothers and sisters, her cousins, her aunties and uncles and her mother's and father's aunties and uncles and her nieces and nephews and everyone, she was the only person, as far as she knew, who had an ability. Maybe some of the distant relatives had developed something since she had last seen them, but in terms of immediate family, she was definitely an oddity. Therefore, it couldn't be genetic. Could it?

But then again, if Maritza was the oddity in a family of over a hundred people, what were the chances that three gifted individuals belonged to the same family?

Whatever the reason, it wasn't important in that moment. The important thing was Lucy, so Maritza pushed her concerns and questions out of her mind and looked at the girl. "What can you do?"

Q U I N N

Quinn stared wide eyes at his younger sister who claimed she was different. Different as in special, special as in unique, unique as in she carried abilities that shouldn't be possible. Such as he and Maritza did. At this point, he really shouldn't have been surprised. He had discovered his own abilities and his mother's and a whole hospital full of "patients" not too long ago. So, really, he should have been used to it by now.

However, this was his sister, his baby sister. His dorky, freckled faced, curly haired, short baby sister. She was his sister and that was made her special to him. Here she was now telling him that something else, something more dangerous made her special now. He wasn't sure how to respond to that. Maritza did however and she actually answered his girlfriend without a sense of hostility.

Lucy wrung her hands, clearly nervous and uncertain as she glanced between Quinn and Maritza. "Okay." Was all she said to the Hispanic brunette sitting at the desk.

Her snapped Quinn out of his surprised stupor. He watched her anxiously with careful eyes. What could she do? Were her powers like that of his and their mother's? Could she read minds and move objects with her mind? Or was it something else entirely like Maritza's Patrick's or Leah's?

All of his wonderings only proceeded to feed his nerves and make him jittery. Without realizing it he had started tapping his foot, though, his face was hard and neutral. He didn't want her to be any more afraid than she was.

Lucy climbed onto the bed and turned to face her as she sat in the center of the mattress and closed her eyes. He expected to see something magnificent happen or amazing, but she only fell back, unconscious. He blinked twice, unsure of what had just happened.

"Ta-da ... " Lucy said awkwardly. Her voice did not come from her sleeping body, no, suddenly she was standing in front of Quinn.

He started, looking back and forth between Lucy and ... and "Lucy?" He coughed, "did you duplicate?" As soon as he reached to touch her, his hand went right through her, answering him negatively.

"No, I just separated my soul from my body. "

"Oh." Why, of course.

"And this is just the surface of what I can do, I just, can't control all of it." She quieted, looking at between Quinn and Maritza, "please don't tell mom, I haven't even told daddy."