Mind Games (lxngdon and MaryGold)

m a r i t z a
Maritza was unable to keep the small smile off her face, and the glow off her cheeks, when Quinn told her mother that he loved her. God, it filled her heart with warmth every time she heard those words. He loved her. He loved her, and she loved him. This was a real thing.

Maria glanced at her daughter and saw how elated she was by hearing those words. She looked back at the tall boy, piercing him with an intense gaze as she studied every inch of his body language. In her line of business, she had grown quite talented at determining whether or not a person was lying. Whether or not they had other intentions.

Whether or not they could be trusted.

After a minute or so of Maria deliberating, she sighed heavily and returned her gaze to Maritza. "You'll call me every few days to let me know you're okay?"

Maritza nodded fervently.

"And you'll be careful."

"Yes, Mama, I will."

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but, yes, you can go," Maria sighed.

Maritza squealed in delight. She stood up and wrapped Quinn in a tight hug, before dashing around the table to hug her mother, thanking her profusely in Spanish.

"Okay, okay, calm down. I'll figure out the papers and money and you can go in a couple of days."

Q U I N N
Quinn relaxed from his rigid stance after the silence was over as well as her stare. He wasn't scared of Maritza's mother but he was aware she held more influence in her daughter's life than her brother's did. So, he couldn't afford to make any mistakes or else. Luckily, he needn't worry anymore. She had agreed to let Maritza go.

A smile came to Quinn's face on the spot. He was surprised but most importantly, happy. They were going, together, with the approval of her mother. She was also paying for their traveling expenses. Quinn did not know if he would ever be able to thank her enough for everything she had done for him, include house and feed him along with her kindness.

He had received a lot from her. Including her daughter. There was no way to pay her back from that

"Thank you, Mrs. Fuenta, for everything."
He rocked forward momentarily onto his toes, unsure of what more he could say. Though, he was nothing but sincere in what he said and felt. He reached and searched for more words to express his appreciation for everything she had for him in general. "I'm glad, I came here, to Mexico. You're a cool mother." He was glad, and she was a good mother. Something he never had, there were few fond memories of his mother. But they were strong enough for him to still love her, though, he wasn't certain if she did him. He found Maritza's family beautiful, something he envied.

m a r i t z a
"You'll always have a place here, Quinn. Just ... just take care of my baby girl."

Diego and Marco definitely weren't happy when they learned that Maritza was leaving again, and neither were any of her other siblings, really. But no one stopped her from leaving. They exchanged teary goodbyes and Marisol even drove them to the airport a few days later. Soon, they were on their flight to Ireland.

Maria had paid for first-class tickets so Maritza had spent the entire flight curled up on her seat with her head in Quinn's lap, like a cat, practically purring whenever he touched her hair. Which she requested he do a lot. After the thirteen hour flight, she had to sit up while they landed, and soon, Maritza was touching Irish ground for the first time.

The atmosphere was obviously incredibly different to Mexico. It was a lot cooler -- in fact, she was getting weird looks for the white crop top and black denim shorts he was wearing, but those were mixed with appreciative glances and stares so she didn't really notice. Of course, Maritza didn't notice the cold, she physically couldn't.

When they got their bags, Maritza shouldered hers and grabbed Quinn's hand. "So ... where are we going now?" she asked him, her hair swishing as she walked.

Q U I N N
Throughout the entire plan ride Quinn was awake, wide awake. Even if he wanted to sleep, he couldn't, his body wouldn't allow him to. He was on the edge of his seat the entire time. Galway, Ireland also known as home to him. Yes, that was right, he was actually going home. It almost seemed unreal, he hadn't been there in two whole years nor had head any contact with anyone from there. It was enough to make him feel enthusiastic and uneasy all at the same time.

He grabbed his bag and put his arm an shoulder through the strap. It was small and didn't contain much of anything but that was because he didn't really have anything. He left home without much and that was how he'd return.

"Hm?"
He turned to Maritza, he was so involved in his own thoughts he barely registered what she had said. "Oh! Um, we should fine a place to settle and then home, my home ... I guess." It almost seemed unreal.

He glanced around and bit into the corner of his lip. The only thing dampening his mood was the looks his girlfriend was receiving. She was so obviously foreign and not wearing suiting attire for the weather, so some looks were that of curiosity while most were more devious. He set down his bag and unzipped his hoodie, leaving his green t-shirt behind, and draped it over her shoulders.

"And maybe find you more suited clothes for everything around here."
He wasn't going to tell her how to dress, but it didn't mean he had to like what it came with. Of course, all of this was forgotten as soon as the were walking the streets of the city. Quinn was smiling.

m a r i t z a
Maritza didn't mind when Quinn gave her his jacket -- she knew it was to cover her up a little, but really, she was just happy to have obtained something that was his. She gleefully put her arms in the sleeves and sniffed the garment, finding that it carried Quinn's lovely scent.

"Oooh, we get to go shopping, yay," Maritza chirped happily, linking her fingers with his and commencing walking again. People still looked at her, but considerably less than before.

"So do you want to get a hotel room somewhere?" Maritza asked, carrying her bag on one shoulder. Inside that bag sat a fat wad of cash, from her mother, which would help support Maritza and her boyfriend while they were in Ireland. There was close to ten thousand dollars in there.

Maritza wasn't sure if they'd be able to stay with Quinn's family, which she knew he wanted, but she doubted it immensely. She just didn't think it was likely. Besides, it would be safer for them if they had a little place they could retreat to.

Q U I N N
"Umm," Quinn trailed off, absentmindedly. His attention was on the preoccupied side. His surroundings was all he could think about at the moment. And it was impossible to blame him for paying most, if not all his attention to the city they were walking through. It was his home, the very same home he hadn't seen a glimpse if in two years and he surely thought he'd never see it again.

The stone street they strolled down was one he had walked down many years before. He recognized old shops and buildings while some he wasn't the least bit familiar with. A lot had changed and at the same time it had stayed the same. He was home and he knew exactly where he was going. In fact, he was unconsciously taking down the same way he had walked for years that lead to his house.

His house. With that in mind, he was quick to come back to earth and answer her. "I don't think a hotel will be necessary," He told her quietly, thinking with each step he took. "We can stay at my house."

His mother wouldn't be home, he just knee it for a fact. And his father, it was safe to assume he wouldn't be either. The only people there would be the servants and Lucy. Little Lucy, his baby sister. He wondered how she grew.

"It should be okay."
Quinn promised.

m a r i t z a
Maritza was surprised when Quinn revealed they could stay at his house. She hadn't been expecting that at all. She had come to think of the Evans household as a scary, impenetrable fortress where people plotted their evil deeds. That was certainly the type of connotations Maritza had about Quinn's mother.

"Okay," she said anyway. She trusted Quinn, and she wanted him to be happy. She knew he would be happier at his house, which he hadn't seen in years, than he would be in a hotel room somewhere. And Maritza had come to Galway to support Quinn.

So, Maritza kept her hand securely wrapped around Quinn's as they made their way through the streets of this foreign city. Well, foreign to her -- Maritza couldn't help but look around in wonder at all the new things she was seeing. She had rarely left Mexico before she had been taken away, and if she did leave, it was only to other South American countries such as Columbia and Venezuela. So, Europe was still a mystery to her.

Eventually they arrived at the Evans household. Maritza looked up at her boyfriend. "Are you ready?"

Q U I N N
"Eh, for the most part," Quinn shrugged his shoulders in answer, shivering slightly after a cold gust of wind passed them by. There was no way he'd thought he'd be this hesitant upon entering his own home. He had been anticipating the moment since for as long as he could remember. The blonde could barely sit still in the bus ride to his neighborhood. He was a jittery mess then and now.

He was scared and excited and happy all at the same time but he simply wanted to be cool about it. Apparently, for him, that was an impossible feat to achieve. Unconsciously, he squeezed her hand for a few seconds in his search for comfort. There was nothing to be afraid of, everything would be just fine. He inhaled and exhaled deeply. To his surprise, it had helped significantly.

He looked the house up from top to bottom and found that not a thing had changed. The Evans household was nearly a manor, the front yard being a lush and vibrant garden, obviously well taken cared of, just as the mansion was. The lights were on and shining brightly through the windows showing that the place was not empty. Quinn immediately went down his mental list of those who could already be there and inside, but he was too impatient to think about anything any longer.

He held on to Maritza's hand and walked up the steps. The door was unlocked, that came as no surprise to him. The front door was only locked at certain times, most of daylight hours not being one of them. "It should just be the house help, I think." He mumbled before stepping inside with her. The first thing he noticed was how so much warmer it was inside. Second, was the muffled talk from another room, the living room, he presumed. So, that was where he went.

And he was happy to find two people whom he trusted the most in his household. Their housemaids, one of who looked to be entering their mid thirties and the appeared about the same as his own mother, if not older. It filled him with nothing but comfort. Bella and Anastasia.

He knocked his knuckles against the wall, frightening but gathering both of their attention. The look on their faces were that of absolute shock an uncertainty, as if they were seeing wrong, but that doubt clearly vanished when he spoke.

"I'm home,"
He said. Silence. "I know, I should have called first."

"Quinnlan!" The younger housemaid, Bella, gasped. "We were told you ran away from the hospital! What are you doing here!?"

"Well, I did. Funny story - "

"And who is she?!" She made a gesture to Maritza at his side.

"This is Maritza ... And - "

"Where were you?! Why are you here? Why is she you here?!" There was too much to ask.

m a r i t z a
Maritza wasn't intimidated by the obvious opulence of the Evans household. She had lived in wealth her entire life. Most people assumed she would be a street rat, raised in a slum, but that could not be further from the truth. There was no lack of comfort in her life.

However, they had never had house staff. Cleaning tasks and such things had always been divvied up between the siblings and the in-laws. Maritza tentatively watched the staff for a moment, not sure how to proceed. These people could potentially rat them out to Quinn's mother, which they could not afford at all.

"I'm Maritza, I'm Quinn's girlfriend," she said, her heavy Mexican accent indicating that she was foreign. She clutched Quinn's arm out of nerves, finding comfort in the feeling of his touch. "We came from Mexico."

She figured that Quinn trusted these two women but that didn't mean she wasn't tentative around them. She wanted to be careful, and to make a good impression.

Q U I N N
"Because that makes so much more sense," Bella mumbled still just as lost as from the moment they walked in.

Quinn shrugged his shoulders slightly, frankly, he wasn't instantly sure how to smooth this over. The blonde hadn't even come up with a decent explanation which he should have. But he was so exited to be going home he hadn't thought of anything else. And now that he was home, he had nothing to say. "It's kind of a long story."A long and unbelievable story if he gave them all the details. Still, he managed to smile regardless of the mess.

"Well, we'd be more than happy to hear it. For now, please take a seat." Anastasia said, taking charge. She approached both Maritza and Quinn and had them sit on the sofa near the cracking fire under the fireplace. She fluffed the pillows beside them to make the two more comfortable. "And it is a pleasure to meet you miss Maritza, if you need anything let me know. Bella, get you both something warm to drink. I'm sure it's chili outside, it'll be raining soon. And Matthew almost has dinner done."

Bella hesitated but left to do what she had been indirectly told to. Quinn rained holding onto to her hand as they sat but looked around. He could tell the staff were the only ones around, he would have heard his family's thoughts even if faint. "Where is everyone?"

"Your mother is out of town on business," That was a relief to hear, truth be told. "Your father and sister should be back soon, she had a doctor appointment earlier today and he took her."

"That's new."

Bella returned with two hot drinks of hot cocoa, topped with whipped cream and drizzled with caramel and a plate of a few tarts. Sweets before dinner, the staff terribly spoiled both Evans children and their guest. After that, they dismissed themselves to finish their chores before his father and sister returned. Which could be any minute now.

"Not much has changed and at the same time, a lot has."

m a r i t z a
Maritza certainly wasn't used to being waited on like this. She accepted the cocoa and politely thanked both of the housemaids, because she guessed that was the right thing to do. She had yet to be indoctrinated into this fancy new culture and all its traditions and customs.

Maritza knew she stuck out like a sore thumb here. The Evans household was opulent and organised, smoothed and polished, calm and serene. The de la Fuenta household, and Maritza in general, was coarse and abrasive, chaotic and wild, reckless and dangerous. Even her appearance didn't match those of the people around her. Maritza was foreign, an alien, and she didn't fit in.

But she was here with Quinn, and she felt safe with him. So, she sat close to him and held his hand as she sipped the fancy cocoa in her hand. Obviously, the biggest change in his life from how he lived before his hospitalisation was her, the girl sitting beside her. And she knew that.

"Is it a good change, or a bad one?" Maritza inquired softly.

Q U I N N
"Um, I don't know." Quinn admitted, smiling somewhat nervously. He swished around the contents of his mug, cooling it off slightly. It was a little difficult for him to see and accept the changes he saw. It scared him because it made it obvious how long he had been gone. How much he had missed. His heart squeezed. "I have no reason to look at it either way yet. But I do hope it's a good change."

He let go of her hand and instead put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close and laid his head against hers. "But I've changed too, I don't know if it's good or bad but it is what is. I'm more concerned about my family relationships change." He sighed deeply, it bothered him, but he tried not to become paranoid about it. It was nearly impossible considering he was off his meds, but at least he could control his powers a lot better now. So, there was no need to worry about tearing up the place or hurting anyone.

"I'm glad you came,"
He didn't realise how nervous and afraid he'd feel until he was actually in his home. As much as he was her rock she was his. And he couldn't be happier that she was by his side. He sipped his drink and smiled before kissing her forehead. "I'd probably be a mess right now if you weren't her. Me or the building."

m a r i t z a

Maritza couldn't relate to Quinn on the idea of having changed -- she hadn't been in the hospital long enough for it to affect her, a fact she was intensely glad about. However, that didn't mean she wasn't empathetic. She consoled her boyfriend in one of the few ways she knew how to do so; with tight hugs around the middle.

She wrapped her arms around his waist and squeezed him gently as she rested her head against his chest, staying still and quiet as she acted as his rock. She had been his rock for a while now, not that she was complaining at all. All Maritza wanted was for Quinn to be happy and safe.

"Well, this is a lovely house so we can't risk ruining it, can we?" she joked with a small chuckle. "Im kidding. I'll be here for as long as you need me to be, you know that, right?" There was no way Maritza would let Quinn go through anything as scary and stressful as this by himself.

Q U I N N
Quinn shot her a small and sweet smile. "Thank you." He whispered and kissed the side of her head. Hearing that from her made him feel more at ease. Which made him smile just a little more because one should feel comfortable in their own home. Even if they hadn't seen it in a long time because of unfortunate events. He was home now and that was all that mattered.

It was barely a second after he spoke that he could hear the sound of the front door opening and closing after two individuals entered and the voices, or voice the people carried. Instinctively, Quinn rose from his seat as the footsteps became louder and louder, ultimately nearer. He was frozen in place, however, picking at his fingernails until the two entered the living room, his father and baby sister. They too, stopped dead in their tracks, shocked to see who was in their household.

It was undeniable that they were related, though. Clearly, both siblings took more after their mother with their curly blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Though, Quinn did take from his father's build and height while Lucy was short and waifish. Still, there was no questioning their relation.

"Hey ... um ... "
Quinn was at a loss for words, in fact he choked on the little he had. That mattered not, because in an instant Lucy had rushed and enveloped him in a tight hug. And that was really all he needed to feel truly home, he returned her hug, extremely happy to see her.

"I missed you so much." Her voice was slightly unclear in understanding but loud.

"I missed you too,"
Replied Quinn, though, he knew she could barely hear him or not hear him at all. It didn't matter either way, she was crying. They pulled apart and his father embraced him, though, still surprised to see him. He would have a lot of explaining to do.

"T
his is Maritza." He gestured."My girlfriend. Maritza, this is Luce and my dad."

"Please, call me Anthony."

m a r i t z a
Maritza looked up and watched as the family reunited. She had always believed that family was very important -- if not the most important thing in the world. And it warmed her heart to see the emotion between the siblings after being separated for so long. They were finally reunited.

Though, Maritza remained seated. This wasn't her family moment. This wasn't her reunion. She had had hers, and so she would let Quinn have his.

The beautiful Mexican girl smiled up at both Lucy and Anthony when she was introduced to the two of them. "It's lovely to meet the both of you," she said in her obviously foreign accent, aware of how different she was to everyone else in the room. That didn't bother her too much, but still, it made her worry that Quinn's father wouldn't approve of her.

She didn't care what his mother thought. But Anthony and Lucy's opinions actually mattered in the long run.

Q U I N N
Quinn pursed his lips as his sister stared blankly at Maritza and his father nodded but his mind was clearly absent. And he would know, with his abilities and all. He managed to block out everything his father was thinking because he honestly didn't want to know what was going on in his head. He had an open mind for Lucy's thoughts, and she was just as confused but happy. He was just glad to be welcomed back.

"Sit down, please." His father demanded of them more than asked.

And sit they did, Lucy sat on the other side of him, still silently eyeballing Maritza on the other end. Anthony sat in the recliner across from them and sighed deeply. He looked to the others on the sofa and smiled some at Quinn. "I'm glad to you and you are most definitely well." He glanced at Maritza shortly.

"Couldn't be any better I suppose.'

"Mum said you ran away from the hospital." Lucy stated, biting her bottom lip. She brushed back her blonde curls behind her ear, revealing the hearing aid. So, she could hear.

"Er, true ..."

"Where did you two meet then?" She looked at her brother shortly until her eyes fixated at Maritza. Anthony didn't appear as curious, he already knew the answer to most of Lucy's curiosities and concerns.

m a r i t z a
"Um ..."

Maritza paused for a moment. It was in her nature to keep secrets -- she had done it all her life. This was the sort of thing that she would keep under wraps, because it was basically admitting that they had broken out of the hospital and therefore were technically on the run.

But, it wasn't like Anthony Evans didn't know what was going on. And Quinn seemed to trust him enough with the knowledge of their whereabouts, so there was no point in keeping the secret from Lucy. Besides, Maritza wanted Quinn's sister to like her.

"We met at the hospital," she confessed.

Maritza linked her fingers with Quinn's and set their interlocked hands on her knee. Maritza suddenly recalled the fact that she had little to no social skills. Usually her lack of tact didn't matter much, but today, she wanted to appear like she was a well-rounded and likeable person -- which she wasn't -- because this was her boyfriend's family. His father, his sister. She might hate his mother but these two actually mattered.

Q U I N N
Lucy paused. She stared at her, at them and was confused as well as distraught and angered. And Quinn had no clue what to say to her but he did no what was going on in her head as she slowly tried to put prices together, thinking even when she spoke. He gave Maritza's hand a light squeeze to comfort her and signed quietly knowing it would probably wouldn't go over well.

"Okay, I'm sorry am I the only one who sees anything wrong with this?" Lucy slowly stood up from her seat, she glanced to Anthony. "Dad?"

He said nothing, remaining quiet and appearing thoughtful.

"The hospital. And it's not just any hospital but a mental one! She could have loosed screws than you!"

Her words didn't hurt, he knew he wasn't entirely sane and he could see where she was coming from. And clearly she was angry more than anything else, it was hard to tell what she meant and what she did not. He simply shook his head and stood up."The hospital wasn't a that it was, Luce. There's more to it." He bunched his lips to one side of his face and wondered whether he should tell her. He glance at his father but the man wouldn't look him in the eye.

Lucy ignored him, she went on. "And when we heard you ran away ..." She swallowed, tears pricking her eyes but did not fall. "I was scared as to what happened to you but clearly you were just fine, honeymooning with your mental patient girlfriend when you could have at least let us know you were fine."

"That's not true."

"Isn't it?"

The room suddenly felt chillier and not metaphorically either. And it only proceeded to get colder. He rubbed his arms in an attempt to was them, pondering a way to explain to hid sister.

m a r i t z a
Lucy didn't like her.

That hurt.

Maritza just wanted Quinn to be happy. That was why she had come to Ireland, that was why she was here. She wanted Quinn to be as happy as possible, but that wasn't possible if she and Lucy didn't get along.

Maritza's hand tightened around Quinn's as Lucy spoke. She was right, of course. Quinn had been in Mexico when he could have reunited with his family. He had been with her. Maritza felt horrible.

She also felt her arms heat up and she jumped away from Quinn and the couch before she could burn either of them. The fire caught her arms, though, but she managed to shake it off before it spread. But it was visible, and obvious.

Meaning Lucy and Anthony would have seen.

Maritza looked at the both of them with fearful eyes and then looked at Quinn. "I - I - I'm sorry," she stuttered, her eyes brimming over with tears that sizzled when they touched her hot cheeks.

Q U I N N
Quinn lowered his hands to take her elbows, his fingers grasping her but just barely. Her skin was hot, practically unbearably so, but he ignored the heat to calm her down. He brushed the pads of his thumbs agaont her skin tenderly, looking her in the face. He spoke, basically promised,"relax, Maritza. It's okay."

He couldn't count how many times others had said the same thing to him. Though half the time they were right and he was an easily stressed person, but she wasn't. To reassure her he nodded is head a little as if agreeing with himself.

Of course, this wasn't an ideal situation and put him on edge himself but there was nothing they could do about it. His father already knew and now so did little Lucy. They were only so lucky his mother wasn't here unlike his father the woman took action on anything that appeared to be a threat, especially in her home. Compared to Sarah he was a big softy.

"Er ... "
Quinn searched for the right words to direct at his family as he slowly turned around. During the action his father had stood up and pulled Lucy toward him. So, now he stood with his hands holding Lucy's shoulders protectively while he stared at Maritza then to his son, his face hard and mostly unreadable.

Lucy on the other hand gaped, his wide and on the Mexican girl who had randomly caught fire just a moment go and as easily pulled out. Clearly, she was shocked and a complete loss for words, even a little terrified. She tried to speak and choked at first, "you - you ... But how?" She whispers run d barely audible. "There is something wrong with you ..." The blonde beauty finally concluded.

That hurt Quinn searched even deeper than it probably should have. Why? One, it was his girlfriend she was speaking of. The two, the exact same thing could be said about him and he was her brother. So, ouch.

"There's nothing wrong with her - with us."
He clarified, taking a glass clock from the mantle and levitating it high above his hand."We're just different."

At this she didn't appear to surprised but still scared. She took w deep breath before dashing away to the stairs. Quinn barely had any time to read what exactly she was thinking.