Mind Games [IC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I like risk." Andrew winked just to irritate her, glancing at the guards standing around the dining hall. They didn't allow any form of 'sexual harassment', which in their language meant anything from winking to serious relationships. He wasn't going to get punished just for grinding this girl's gears. If he won, that'd be great, but if he lost, well, he could just dodge it. He glanced at the other kids who were squirming in their seats. "If they won... I guess that'd just be a buzz kill." He frowned, fanning and straightening his cards anxiously.
______

Emily noticed Connor get up and her eyes went wide. She squealed in fright, not because he was scary or anything, but simply because he was another person. She jumped to her feet and began to take off, but her drawings slipped out of her arms and scattered all over the floor of the cafeteria. She froze, unsure of what to do. Connor definitely knew where she was now, and she was torn between running or picking up the drawings that meant so much to her. Burning up inside, she got to her knees and began collecting the papers, cheeks bright pink.

Monica smirked slightly. "And I like violence," she said in response to his quote about liking risks. "You've got yourself a deal." Of course, she wouldn't like having to kiss him if he won, but that was highly unlikely and she was good with loopholes, so she wouldn't be too upset if he won; it was the things she would lose if she lost.

She glanced at the other kids and rolled her eyes. She didn't know what their deal was, but it looked like they were going to piss themselves for whatever reason—be it excitement, fear, whatever.

"You people need to chill," she mumbled underneath her breath as she put her cards in order from greatest to least—a habit of hers.

Connor heard a loud squeal heard papers fall shortly afterward. He didn't pick up the pace, but did head towards the sound. Once he reached his destination of sorts, he saw the girl picking up pieces of scattered paper. He crouched down and helped her pick the papers up, and was finished in no time. He held the papers out to her.

"Here," he said. "These are yours, I'm guessing." He looked at the picture on the top page. He saw a all flower and raised an eyebrow. "This drawing is pretty good. Where'd you learn to draw like that?" If she was brought here around the age most of the others were, it didn't seem like she would have the time to learn how to draw.

Andrew watched her lay out her cards carefully before he slapped his down on the table in a very ungraceful way. One tried to slide away and he grabbed it, putting it back in front of him. "Sorry." He mumbled, trying to make them straight. His legs were bouncing like crazy, wanting to run, run, run.
______

Emily looked him once in the eye before looking away, cheeks hot. "Um, I.. I didn't really learn I just kinda picture it in my mind and then put it on paper..." She spoke softly, glancing up at him to see if he would think she was weird or too shy like most people did. She saw that he picked up the flower and smiled slightly. "That's my favorite." Her temperature was lowering and she was surprised. Why was she talking so much? And why wasn't she stumbling over her words like she usually did?

Monica laid down her cards—three Queens, a five, and a ten—and smiled wryly. The other kids' hands weren't as good, but still weren't bad, either. However, what surprised her the most were his. Andrew's. He had three Kings in his hand, making her narrow her eyes. The other kids noticed that too, and she heard a few mutter something about Beginner's Luck. Alright, she thought. She glanced at the things in the pile. She quite liked that necklace, too. What a shame she might almost lose it.

Connor's eyes met hers for less than a second before she quickly looked away, making him raise an eyebrow before inwardly sighing. Upon hearing her explanation, he nodded slightly.
"That's interesting," he replied, looking at the flower. "I can't draw for shit." Of course, there wasn't a reason for him to know how to draw; he thought it was a waste of time considering the fact that his powers had nothing to do with art in any way. He was sure that if he tried to draw he would probably break the writing utensil.

Andrew stared blankly at her cards before scratching the back of his head. "Soooo..." He muttered, glancing from her to the stares of the other kids, back to her, and then down to his cards. "Do I win?" She had narrowed her eyes at him but wasn't saying a thing, so he was unsure. Was there more to the game?
_______

Emily laughed quietly at his statement, watching him gaze down at her drawing. He was nice. It was... strange. She didn't know how to react to nice. She knew how to react to mean, either walk away or just ignore it. But never, ever touch someone who is being mean. When she did that the first time, the girl's arm had a hand shaped burn. Emily was sent to 'time out' and punishments for two weeks.
She grabbed the end of her flower drawing gently and he got the hint, letting go. "Well I have to go... I have control training every day." She blurted out before shutting her lips tight, blushing. "Bye." She peeped before leaving the dining hall.

Monica blinked. "I guess you have," she said. That was a first. Luckily for her, losing one game didn't mean she lost her reputation. She was still a power, and losing one short game wouldn't change that. Besides, she had Connor on her side, so she didn't have a thing to worry about.
"You won," she said. "But I would like that necklace back; I actually quite liked it." She looked up at him. "I'll play you for it," she said quickly before clearing her throat. "I mean… I could pay you for it back."

Connor let go of the drawing and she took it back. He raised an eyebrow at how quickly she left, waving awkwardly as she did. That was… abrupt, he thought with a sigh. He then turned around and sat back down next to Monica. From the looks of things, she had apparently lost the poker game.
"I'm gone for ten minutes and you already lost," he said to her, making her glare at him. "Why am I not surprised?"
She said something about her loss not being because he wasn't there and that she could've won had she want to, but he rolled his eyes and ignored most of it.

Andrew's face stretched into a mischievous smile and he grabbed the necklace out of the pile, leaving everything else. "We had a deal." He reminded her, holding the necklace up to the light. It sparkled even in the flickering white light of the dining hall. "Nice." He spoke under his breath. Now that Connor was here he was feeling a little edgy, but maybe Connor wasn't that protective of her. He looked back up at Monica, a gloating smile on his face.
"You let me win just so you could kiss me, huh?" He teased.

Monica shrugged. "We did have a deal," she said with a nod. She then stood up. "Let's go, Connor," she said. "I'm pretty hungry; we haven't ate yet."
Connor nodded and stood up. Monica was about to go and get something to eat, then she turned and faced Andrew.
"The deal was that I'd kiss you," she recalled. "But I don't think we ever said when. And I definitely don't want to kiss you now."
Ah, loopholes. There was nothing Monica loved more than tricking people with loopholes.
"But for the necklace…" she trailed off, leaving the sentence hanging since she was sure he caught her drift.

Andrew shrugged pushing the necklace into his pocket. "Suit yourself.." He muttered. He had never planned on actually kissing her. First of all, he wasn't that evil, and second, there were guards everywhere. He just wanted to see if she actually would, and then he'd laugh at her and give the necklace back. But since she wanted to play dirty he guessed he'd have to keep it for awhile. He sent her a sweet smile. "Thanks for teaching me how to play." He gestured towards the table. "Or should I be thanking Connor here? If it wasn't for his great advice I'd never have this nice necklace. I might trade it for a new pair of shoes or something." He looked down at his, stretching his legs and neck.
"Nice meeting you!" He waved before turning on his heel and starting to walk away.

Monica narrowed her eyes. She wasn't that desperate for the necklace, to be honest, and she could always swindle someone out of some better jewellery. But she really liked that necklace! Though she didn't want to give him the satisfaction. She also didn't want to be punished just for a necklace they would take away from her if they found out she had kissed Andrew.
She pursed her lips. She had noticed he put the necklace in his pocket, and she was an excellent pickpocket. Maybe she could steal it off of him? She mentally shrugged. Might as well give it a shot.
"Hey!" She called, jogging slightly after him.

Andrew turned around but backed away from her, not trusting her. "What?" He squinted his eyes slightly, walking backwards. He tripped over his own foot and stumbled, before catching himself. "Meant to do that." He mumbled, pushing his hands into his pockets. Lunch was ending soon and he just wanted to get out the door before Monica could sic Connor on him or something. He glanced over her shoulder at him. Even if she did he probably wouldn't be too enthusiastic, he was standing back there looking bored out of his mind. Andrew smiled internally, before settling his green eyes back on Monica.

Monica noticed his distrust and the corners of her mouth quicker up slightly in a wry smile before returning back to normal.
"Alright," she said with a curt nod. "I'll kiss you. We had a deal, didn't we?" She took a step closer, putting her hands up in a surrender position. "And don't look so nervous; I'm going to kiss you. I'm not a black widow, so I'm not going to have my way with you and then suck out your mortal soul or whatever."

"I think the female eats the male after mating." Andrew spouted before his eyebrows furrowed. "How did I know that?" He mumbled to himself. But he snapped back to attention as she got closer. He was quiet for a moment before shaking his head. "Nooo." He decided, taking another step back. "I'm not gonna make you kiss me over a bet, that's kind of messed up, right?" He laughed. "Besides, this is probably some trick anyway." He smirked, knowing how she worked."Look, you can have the necklace if you come train with me one day....?" His voice got higher at the end, turning his statement into a timid question. He scratched the back of his neck, a nervous tic he had.

"It's a little messed up," Monica agreed, then shrugged. "But I wasn't gonna kiss you on the mouth anyways," she replied when he declined. At his alternate suggested, Monica made a noise in the back of her throat, turning to Connor. She didn't really know what to do, since she wasn't too keen on seeing Andrew around. Connor furrowed his eyebrows at her, giving her a "Why are you looking at me of all people?" look. She sighed and turned back to Andrew. "But how will I know that you'll give me the necklace? What if you pull a Monica and say that you'll give me the necklace one day, but not anytime soon?"

Andrew's face fell at her reaction and he pulled the necklace out of his pocket. "You can just have it." He mumbled, tossing it to her. He turned away and pushed his hands into his pockets, walking out of the dining hall just as the guards started herding the kids out.
Once outside he rubbed his hands down his face, shaking his head. He walked out into the yard and plopped into the gravel, leaning his back and head against a large boulder. There wasn't grass or trees to sit on, so the kids got used to this. Most didn't know what trees were.

(better go now, cya)

Monica caught the necklace, and while she was glad she had gotten it back, she couldn't help but to feel a little guilty. She looked back at Connor with a frown and he shrugged.
"You got yourself into that one, Monica," he replied as he led her out of the dining hall.
"I know, no need to rub it in," she said with a roll of her eyes. "It's just hard to know when someone is telling the truth when you know you'd lie if you were in their place."
"When you know you did lie when you were in their place," Connor corrected, making Monica glare at him.
"You're not helping," she said.
"I wasn't trying to."

(Hey guys sorry for not being online lately ^_^")

Mya had left the training center and strode across the courtyard towards the cafeteria where everyone else currently was. In all honesty, she wasn't that hungry, which was unusual on the island, to not be hungry, so she figured she'd wait until lunch to eat. That still didn't mean she wouldn't go, she heard a rumor that there would be a poker match this morning. Of course she would never be able to play, being blind and all, but she also didn't have anything to give when she would lose.

She stopped when she heard the duo leaving and sighed, they were talking about something that had to do with lies, she figured it was best not to ask. The girl's voice she recognized belonged to Monica, wait that means... The game was over... disappointedly, she approached them, "missed all the fun, haven't I?" She inquired half sarcastically.

Monica rolled her eyes, mostly out of habit than actual anger or irritation with her best friend. She slipped the necklace into her pocket, then crossed her arms over her chest with a sigh.
She was about to begin walking again when she heard a voice. Raising an eyebrow slightly, she turned around a bit to see a little girl. Honestly, if Monica didn't believe in ghosts, she would have mistaken the girl for one.
Monica chuckled shaking her head in response to the girl's question.
"Trust me, kid," Monica said. "Wasn't too fun this time 'round, so you didn't miss much."
She racked her brain looking for the name of the girl she had encountered more than once before. Then, she remembered the girl's name to be Mya. Monica also remembered that Mya was blind—she had to be; everyone else knew not to approach Monica and Connor, what with Connor being scary-looking and intimidating and Monica looking like you shouldn't trust her as far as you could throw her—though Mya seemed to get around just fine (but Monica had seen her trip over a few things before; sometimes she felt sorry for the girl).
"Were you headin' outside, too?" Monica asked the younger girl, stuffing her hands into her pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.