Military Misadventures

• Thread starter The Rainbow Cat Bandit
  • Start date
"Good for you."Kohana replied, not amused. She hadn't meant to say that, but she wasn't one to hold much back. Kohana watched the sword fighters carefully. They had some good techniques, though one of the soldiers seemed to be fumbling a bit. He was a younger man with a small build a two handed sword he couldn't swing well. His opponent was wearing him down with quicker blows. A blunted sword would certainly leave bruises so Kohana almost pitied the poor swordsman. She scented that this young man was also a werewolf and found all the more reason to help him out.

She stepped forwards and walked to where those two specific swordsmen were practicing. She spoke up, "You need a lighter sword. Your footwork is nice and neat and your reflexes seem decent. You'd do nicely with a short sword of sorts." The fighters stopped and looked at her. Both were sweaty and the other fighter was taller and was a male vampire. They lowered their swords, wondering why this random girl had approached them. The small werewolf seemed pleased. "That is an excellent idea. Thank you for telling me."he said, offering a smile.

Kohana returned the smile briefly. The vampire didn't seem amused. "Who do you think you are butting into fights?"he asked.

"I'm giving advice to better the skills of a fellow soldier. If we have more skilled soldiers we have a better chance of survival and wining the war. Don't you want that?"Kohana replied, not pleased with having to deal with yet another vampire.

The werewolf nodded in agreement but the vampire still didn't seem amused. "You are a rookie from the looks and attitude on you. I can't wait 'til they break you in."the vampire replied bitterly. He walked away with long, sweeping strides. The werewolf gave Kohana a friendly wave before running off after his training partner. So I suppose I'm not the only werewolf stuck with some annoying vampire. she thought to herself.

After Kohana had her fill of looking at the soldiers in training, she turned and began to walk back towards where she had come from, hoping to check other places out too.

"I know," Lea replied, unfazed by Kohana's reaction. "It was good for me, probably better than any of the stuff I'll learn here." She smirked a little; she didn't know if what she said was true or not but she was a proud creature as well and her uncle had been one of the few people she properly respected.

She couldn't really care less about the training session between the young werewolf and his opponent the vampire. Although the vampire was obviously of her race, Lea held no particular regard for him, pretty much akin to how humans simply looked at other humans with indifference. She did note that Kohana had talked a whole lot more to the two swordsmen than she had talked to her partner. Her mouth twitched a little at that, partially a scowl but also a smirk. So, was she not considered worthy perhaps? Or perhaps it really was that rivalry rearing its head once more. Then, she figured it wouldn't make much of a difference whether she told her werewolf partner that she didn't give a rat's a** what she or anyone else here was.

Besides, the soldier should have known that sword was wrong for him already. Shame on him for needing a newbie's advice. Satisfied with her analyzing, she watched the two partners leave before looking around at the rest of the training soldiers. She was itching to try her hand at archery, just to prove that she was good at it. If they had stayed a little longer she might have, but once Lea saw Kohana walking back, she started following her once more.

"So, watcha think of this place so far?" she asked, curious as to her opinion.​

Kohana took a moment before answering. "It seems rather organized and I look forwards to my training here."she said. It was true. From her brief observation the squadrons seemed organized and even the layout of the camp seemed well thought out. She anticipated learning more techniques with her sword and maybe more opportunities to brawl. Oh how she'd love to drive her confident vampire partner right into the ground. That would shut her up well enough. Kohana wasn't really fond of her partner situation here though, but figured maybe she'd grow to tolerate it.

The werewolf walked along the path and passed all of the squadron cabins. The path then led out into a common area. Here there were a few food stalls and vendors selling weapons or polishing armor. A blacksmith was tucked away behind the area as well as an area where craft smiths could work on leather and repairs and such. A few soldiers were walking about the area, talking amiably amongst one another or getting snacks. To the far left of the common area was a decently wooden building labeled as the latrines. She figured this was the bathroom and bathing area that all of the squadrons combined had to share. Kohana thought of how annoying it would be to walk from the squadron cabins in the middle of the night just to go to the bathroom.

Kohana spotted a group of older soldiers standing over a newer and smaller soldier that was doing pushups and wearing a bucket atop his head. Water had probably filled the bucket before since the new soldier was drenched. Oh no, they had hazing here didn't they? She had heard of such rituals among new warriors in other werewolf packs, but hadn't gone through them in her own. If the veterans tried to humiliate her she wouldn't hesitate to try to punch them in their stupid faces.

"Hmm, I guess so," Lea said, agreeing somewhat to that. She didn't mind a little bit of disorganized training, but she supposed when it was military, everything had to be rather organized and to the dot. Not her style, but then again, she didn't think anyone cared much what her style was. Even though they should, in her not so humble opinion. "I can't wait to try out some arrows to targets. I bet I can get 'em all in bull's eye in one go." She grinned at the thought as she walked on, a little skip in her step.

She took in the sight of the common area. Now this was more like it. She liked the bustle, the smell of food, weapons, people. Her eyes paused on the blacksmith, wondering whether he custom made things. She wouldn't mind a new dagger, even if it was wasting money. And maybe some armour. Blah. She didn't really like armour, but it was starting to make more sense, seeing how many people were here, as well as races that probably didn't like vampires too much. She saw the latrines and bathing area and wondered if the bathing area was common. Hm... the idea made her smirk a little. She didn't mind eye candy.

She chuckled a little when she saw the soldier doing push-ups with the bucket on his head. It was funny and she couldn't help herself, though after a moment she reined in her laughter. So, was this what the other vampire had meant when he mentioned breaking in? Hah, she'd break their faces first if they tried this kinda crap on her! She thought of walking over and tipping the bucket off his head.

"Be right back," she said to Kohana before walking off in the direction of the soldiers, a smile on her face.

Kohana stifled a snort when she heard Lea talking about how she could ace archery. Archery wouldn't do any good on the front lines of battle or in close combat so Kohana only saw the appeal for hunting. It was called a coward's weapon by some since it removed any battle between enemies. It was convenient in some situations though. Kohana had tried her hand at the bow before, but didn't find it too appealing. After all, if she needed to hunt she could just shift and chase prey the good old fashioned and natural way.

Observing the common area now, she decided to stay out of this hazing thing. Lea had other ideas apparently because Kohana watched the vampire approach the trouble. "Wait, don't engage them."she said after the vampire. She sighed when she knew it was no use. Sure Kohana was tempted to step up and stop this nonsense, but it wasn't her business and wasn't harming the victim. She did pity them though since she hated humiliation herself. She unconsciously felt herself follow after Lea. If the vampire had the guts to walk up here, so did she.

The veterans looked up at them as they approached. The oldest looking one, a man in his mid twenties, grinned mischievously. "Care to join the young lad here? Or would it be you would prefer another punishment."he offered, clearly taunting them. Kohana had the suspicion that his second offer was less innocent than it seemed and didn't appreciate it. "No, thank you."she offered, looking up at them with her mouth set.

They soon noticed her scar. "Aw, did you get a boo boo doing some cleaning or something?"another teased.

Without skipping a beat she replied, "No. I relieved it in one of the prison arenas the humans have conducted."

That seemed to put them off a bit so they decided to target Lea instead. "Hey, what about you doll face? You want any punishment?"the oldest of the group asked with a devilish smile.

Lea was rather surprised when she realized Kohana actually followed her. She had thought that the indifferent werewolf would simply let her go and get in trouble, or whatever else may happen, by herself. She didn't know if she was happy or amused by the fact that the werewolf came. Was it progress? She decided to take it as that, even if it was probably not the reason. Still... it was a little nice to have a wingman. Whoops, wingwoman. She chuckled in her mind until the older soldier looked up and started speaking. She was about to reply when Kohana did. Lea didn't mind, watching the two, a perpetual smirk on her face.

An eyebrow rose when the werewolf mentioned where she got the scar from. Huh, that was now a question she didn't have to ask. She felt... a little weird about it. The prison arenas that the humans had weren't something she liked to hear about, completely ruining her buzz. She had heard of stuff that happened to vampires who ended up in there and it was nothing pretty. As for the arena, that could only be worse. For a moment the smirk left her face, until the group addressed her as 'doll face'.

Ekh, was Lea's first thought before she grinned, showing off her fangs. So, they thought she was just a pretty face with no fight underneath? She almost felt like laughing at them. "Punishment?" she repeated, sticking out her bottom lip after her grin, as if her feelings were hurt and she was pouting about it. "And here I thought we were gonna play." She moved over to the soldier who had the bucket on his head. "Nice hat you got there." She then reached down and grabbed it, twirling it over her head. "So, who does this belong to?"

Kohana looked to the vampire when Lea had been addressed, having not seen her expression when the scar was explained. Kohana and the other soldiers noted the large fangs. One of them bared his own fangs, a werecreature of sorts. "See, sweetheart. I got 'em too so you aren't scarin' no one."he said, though he was Lea's height and didn't come off as very intimidating. Kohana rolled her eyes at this folly. She had been half tempted to bare her own fangs. How silly, she would only show her fangs when truly threatened. She wasn't all bark and was mostly bite so she saved her true showing off for when someone was about to get their ass kicked.

The leader seemed amused by this response. "Play, huh? I'm down for a little playing."he said with a chuckle and a glint in his eyes. Kohana didn't like this man or his suggestive behavior one bit. "Oh, please. You must think you're a real stud, don't you?"Kohana asked bitterly, arms crossed.

"I am. A real prime stud, aren't I? I've had plenty of ladies to know that this game always ends with a win for team Ricardo."he said, pointing a thumb to his chest as a gesture. Gah, what an arrogant bastard he was. Kohana merely rolled her eyes.

The shivering new soldier on the ground looked up at Lea when his bucket was removed. Then his shifty little eyes looked around before he jumped to his feet and ran away. The veterans watched him run briefly before looking at the two girls. The little shrimp didn't matter much anymore since the two girls had proved to be more interesting to the group.

"Goodie for you if you got 'em," Lea replied with a smile. Oh, so he had sharp teeth as well? She'd bet they weren't as effective as hers were though. She could hear it in her mind, that voice telling her not to be an idiot and to back away from these soldiers and let them do as they pleased with the soldier. However, the stubborn side of her was saying "To hell with that" and stayed right there, still grinning. Especially when the fellow's words told exactly what kind of play he was thinking of. Lea wasn't a stranger to that but she was no easy girl either. Did he think he could just get some girl just because he had some muscles and balls? She was half tempted to kick him in the crotch and see how he withered in pain. But for now, she'd wait.

"Real stud my a**," she said with a chuckle, knowing she was probably further goading the two. "I bet you can't get laid unless you pay someone for it." It was a stupid insult but it was one nonetheless, and she didn't feel like coming up with something wittier at the moment, not for these two. She put a hand at her waist, head tilted to the side as she watched the other soldier leave, or rather, escape. Now she was wondering whether he was even worth taking the bucket off of. What a lame a** coward. She let out a sigh before looking over to the veterans. "So that's what you call breaking in, huh?"​

Kohana watched this interaction with a mild sense of amusement. This guy really thought he was a hot shot, didn't he? She wondered if a "stud" like him could take a metal capped knuckle to the face without crying. Or a nice kick in the shins, or a little bit higher to send him into real agony. She knew she shouldn't start out her time here with a childish brawl, but if she had to put him in his place physically than she would. That was her problem, she was rather quick to be violent and now she almost had an instinct too. It would be especially troublesome if one of them attacked her first since she'd beat them until they couldn't move. All she knew was knock out, which would probably make her training a little bit more difficult.

The veteran wasn't amused by being insulted, but his pals were stifling laughter until he hit them and shut them up. "I so can. How would a newbie like you know?"he returned bitterly. This made Kohana laugh internally because she knew the stupid insult had wounded his fragile ego.

"I don't need to know you to know that a girl would never sleep with a pathetic man such as yourself. Especially considering that you refer to yourself as a "stud." Well, I suppose since no one else calls you that, then the responsibility goes to yourself to try to inflate your pride."Kohana added with a half smile, flashing one of her own fangs. See, we all have these things. You guys aren't so special.

The veteran soldier looked to be fuming. A perfect time to let his hatred stew. Kohana turned to leave, looking back to them. "Well, it was nice chatting but I think I will talk to someone who has a higher IQ than that of a goldfish."she said with a loose wave before walking away.

"You b*tch! You two will pay for this later!"he yelled. Others laughed at this and Kohana smiled briefly. Her work here was done for now.

Lea snickered a little along with the veteran's buddies, not even stopping when the man hit the others. Why would she? She wasn't scared of him. "What she said," she said with a smirk, tilting her head in Kohana's direction, though her eyes remained on the now clearly pissed off veteran. She found it quite amusing to see he was so pissed off. Fergus hadn't been fuming like this fellow was. It was practically shameful, the way he was acting. She could understand him getting upset, but to show it so obviously? Not really a good thing, in the vampire's opinion.

She had to admit she liked Kohana's reply's to the veteran. It was simple yet probably hurt him more than a kick to the crotch would have. "IQ of a goldfish? That's an insult to the poor little fishy." Lea waved her hand at the veteran, grinning at him, not really intimidated by his threat that they would pay. It sounded like any threat that wouldn't be followed through. Blah blah blah, or else. Get a life, moron. She caught up with Kohana, looking her way and giving her a grin.

"So how d'you think he's gonna make us pay, huh?" She figured the werewolf might talk a little more now, seeing they'd both kinda told that guy off together. Well, she was hoping for something like that to happen. She didn't think they'd become friends but at least some semblance of camaraderie would be nice, seeing they'd have to deal with these types of jerkwads more often than not.

Kohana believed the complaining of the veteran was music to her ears. She had taught the fool and lesson and probably started a rivalry. Oh well, she assumed she could take the arrogant man down another notch with some physical force if needed. She did hope that the veteran didn't have more buddies that would side with him, not that she didn't think she could take more enemies. She just didn't have a pack to watch her back if any of them wanted to play dirty. Kohana couldn't really prevent a low blow or a knife to the throat in her sleep if they grew to hate her that much. But for now, those silly immature soldiers could wallow in their humiliation a bit. Kohana hoped the story spread. That could mean more trouble, or that fewer would dare to cross her wrong.

Kohana heard what Lea had said and processed the vampire's question. "Knowing his type, I don't think he'll do anything. He's all bark and no bite."she responded. She didn't want to engage with the vampire too much, but felt like she owed the vampire at least a short response since she had backed her up in that childish spat.

"Yeah, a bucket over the head ain't much of a bite is it," Lea snickered slightly as she walked alongside the werewolf. She wondered what sort of other things they did here to haze newbies. She remembered her brother going on and on sometimes about the silly ways people acted, but he'd clearly forgotten to tell her about hazing. She figured it was because he didn't think she'd have to worry about it much. Hell, she wasn't worried about it now even.

"I really hate guys like that though," she continued on, letting her snicker die as she looked to the sky, finding shapes in the clouds. It was a fun pastime for her, especially when she had nothing better to do in between jobs or if it was night. Then she'd simply be stargazing, which she enjoyed as well. "They think they can get anyone just cuz they got some muscle on their bodies. What jackasses." Not that she never took advantage of those kind of people, but it irritated her to have it happen someplace here.

"Hm..." Her thoughts wandered as she started wondering what the deal about drinking blood was over here. She doubted that they'd allow vampires to go around and take from their fellow soldiers.​

"It's not very creative, but it doesn't to much to wound a coward's pride."Kohana answered. It had been a weak punishment. She would have thrown the bucket off and shoved away whoever had done it. And if they outnumbered and somehow outmatched her, she'd just walk off. She'd never tolderate such a silly method of humiliation, though she was susceptible to despising humiliation in general due to her wolf pride.

Kohana just offered a nod of agreement for now,though she could rant at llength about why she agreed. Manybif the werewolves if her pack had learned quickly to respect her, but she had still met a fair share of arrogant jackasses.

Kohana walked on towards an area with other nicer looking soliders congregating. Maybe she could make a better companion than the vampire girl. She scented a trio of werewolves and spotted them, two young men and a young woman as well. They chatted amiably with each other and Kohana was about to speak to them when they finished up a joke and shifted wolf before racing off.

Kohana sighed. Wait...let me join you.she thought to herself, glancing over to the vampire. The girl seemed to be lost in thought or had just zoned out.

Lea remained thinking of blood for a while until she heard Kohana sigh. She blinked and her wave of thoughts broke as she saw the shifted wolves running off at a distance. She looked back to the werewolf, wondering if maybe she was nostalgic, missing family? Or there's the more sensible thought that she'd rather you take a hike and she was partnered with one of them, her brother's imaginary voice told her.

Heh, probably true, but you don't havta sound so smug! Lea huffed slightly, wondering how a voice in her head could be so annoying. Sometimes she wondered if that wasn't really her brother and not just the imaginary voice of conscious that had his voice.

"So, where to next, partner?" she finally asked in a cheery voice. She thought about asking the werewolf her question about blood to drink but decided it was better not to. After all, she already seemed to dislike her, which Lea very much understood why. She was an easily unlikable person. But why give her another legitimate reason to dislike vampires? Although it ain't my fault, I'd be just as happy if I could drink coffee rather than blood!

"Next? I don't know. There isn't too much to check out."Kohana lied, not really wanting to continue on this awkward exploration with the vampire. She didn't want to run into any more jerks and didn't think now was a good time to try to find friends since the vampire was present. Kohana looked around the area and spotted the forest around the perimeter. She already longed to take her wolf form and run and explore a more interesting and enjoyable location. She wondered if she had to have permission to enter the forest or if it was stocked with monsters or something used for training purposes. Also, people may be out hunting and she wasn't sure if she had to have some sort of permission for that too.

"I wonder if they'll let us into the forest. I'm sure it would prove to be more interesting than this place, though if you'd prefer to stay here then feel free."Kohana said, hoping that she could escape into the forest and leave the vampire to ask someone else a million questions. Or better yet, get lost. Well, maybe not get lost. Kohana didn't like vampires and Lea seemed rather annoying, but she was more tolerable than most in some ways. Kohana had at least a scrap of respect for the vampire so she wouldn't want the vampire to make a giant fool of herself. A fool, but not a giant one since then others may make fun of Kohana herself for being partners with such a weirdo.

"Seriously? There seems like a whole lot more we can check out, lotsa people to see and talk to, etc etc..." Lea smirked a little as she twirled some of her longer hair around a finger, thinking of all the more people who might try to act like that jerk soldier. It'd be fun to put them in their place. Yes, but then they'll get together and you won't be able to keep away any punishment they'll put you through. She scowled a moment at the thought before sighing. Maybe it was better to play it safe for the moment.

"I hope they do," Lea said when Kohana mentioned the forest. While she grew up in mountains, Lea liked the forest. It was perfect for someone who liked sneaky attacks like she did. Trees gave her a good vantage points, and of course there was the whole forest ambiance that even she could appreciate. "Me, stay here? Hah, now why would I wanna do that when there's a whole bunch of exploring to be done?" She gave a slightly cheeky grin before walking forward, deciding to at least check out the edge of the forest. Right now, meeting up with others who might be like her, or at least her race, didn't seem to interest the vampire in the slightest.​

Kohana wasn't quite in the mood for more encounters. Although taking people's ego down a peg could be enjoyable, it was sort of annoying. What she wanted more now was to feel soil under her paws and to smell the leaves. She could go without the quarreling if it meant she could be free for a while. She was eager to fight for the sake of the mythics, but she wouldn't like the confinement much since she figured her forest time would be limited until her squadron would eventually be sent to fight.

Kohana stifled a groan when the vampire said she'd come along to the forest. Well fine then, she'd just run off and leave the vampire to sulk around in the shadows like her species liked to do.

Kohana walked across the facility. Within a few minutes, she made it to one of the well guarded gates that led into the forest. She gave the guards notice as she passed through the now opened gate. Seeing and smelling that they were soldiers and not human spies, they were let through. They'd have been more cautious, but this wasn't the main gate so it was almost unreachable to enemies. Also, enemies had not been spotted on patrols within a 50 mile radius and it was still day time.

Kohana was glad for this and entered the forest. Once a few meters inside, she shifted into a large, white pelted wolf. She was larger than a regular wolf and was the size of a dire wolf. (Like in Game of Thrones :) Think like Ghost without the red eyes)
She gave the vampire a last look before bolting forwards. Kohana scented the forest around her and watched the trees pass her by, glad to be back in the forest.

((Sweet, I love Ghost :3))

Lea had quickly followed after Kohana, turning away from the edge of the forest boundary when she saw that the werewolf going to the actual gate that would give them legitimate leavr to enter the forest. She grinned a little at the soldiers before she entered, stretching out her arms over her head as if reaching out for the leaves. "Mhm, this is nice!" she exclaimed as she walked a little further. That was when she noticed that Kohana had changed into her wolf form. She smirked and was about to say something when the werewolf ran ahead, leaving her behind.

"Hey!" she called, not having expected that. "Wait for me!" She ran a few paces before she stopped and shrugged. "Eh, screw it." She supposed the wolf must have reached her level of tolerance with her and decided it was time to go on alone. For a moment she was tempted to go back to the squadron cabin and start making some trouble just so that her partner would get in trouble as well.

Don't be a douchebag, her brother's voice warned her. Lea groaned but had to admit it was probably best for her not to get into anymore trouble so soon. She let let out a breath before walking to a nearby tree. Smirking, she carved into the tree trunk with her sharp nail. It read, 'LK was here'. It was childish yet oddly satisfying. She snickered slightly before shaking her head and turning back, deciding to return to the cabin. At least she could snooze away until it was time for training.​

Kohana's paws bounded across the dirt as she barrled through the forest. She lept over a large rock and landed, turning and running in a new direction. She looked over her shoulder and noticed she had finally managed to ditch Lea. She silently cheered and looked forwards again.

Kohana slowed down a bit and jogged, sniffing the air. She scented a few animals and the earthy forest tone, but not much else. She heard a few birds and nothing else of notice.

She decided that she would hang out here until she would return a bit later for dinner. (Quick TS)

Feeling like she should probably return now, Kohana began to make her way back towards the direction in which she came. She trotted along, wondering what Lea had got into. Wait, why did she care? Oh, yeah, the whole partner and responsibility thing. Kohana passed a tree and stopped, seeing something. She spotted the initials 'LK' carved into a tree, which was not there originally. LK...ohhhh, Lea. Figures she did something that immature.

Kohana shifted back to her human form, hair smelling a bit like leaves now. She didn't mind it and quite liked it too. She passed through the gates again and headed back to her squadron cabin. Others were entering as well to prepare to leave all together for dinner. What good timing on Kohana's part. She entered the cabin.

Lea had meanwhile followed her own decision and returned to the cabin, deciding to take a nap. It had taken a while before she finally dozed off, though her sleep wasn't too pleasant. Nightmares weren't a new thing to Lea, but they were rather annoying as they made her restless and basically ruined her sleep. Most of the time it was the same thing, watching her family get murdered before escaping with her brother. This time there was an added twist where she found herself bound to a tree, threatened by a silver sword.

She woke up with a gasp as the sword in the dream stabbed her, eyes wide as she jerked and sat up. "Bloody hell," she muttered, wiping the sweat off her face before letting out a huge sigh. That's when she noticed everyone was returning. S***, she thought to herself. She hoped no one had seen her, they'd think she was a pansy who got scared of silly little nightmares. She bit her lip before pulling out her locked book. For a moment she wanted to unlock it and write inside what she'd seen.

"Eff it," she mumbled to herself before stuffing the book away. She was being an idiot and brooding over it would just make it worse. She took in a breath and let it out before fixing her clothes and hair. Once she was satisfied, she grabbed her bow and arrows before sliding off her bunk and landing on the floor as easily as a cat.​