Migma

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Isabelle's voice, Jexel let out a faint smile. He was barely able to comply to her demand to lift his head, but he stuck it out, wincing in pain. Not moving had, for the most part, stopped the spread of the pain, so he was able to lie still as Regina entered. He barely caught a glimpse of the fiery-haired girl before remembering his unique cat-like irises. Subsequently closing his eyes, Jexel forced himself to relax to the sound of chanting, stifling coughs and cringing through jolts of pain in the process. There was nothing he could do at this point except wait for help, and he hated it. More than once Jexel clenched his teeth to keep from shouting in agony, which would have revealed his fangs. Doing everything he could to hide himself was the smartest thing to do, and he knew it.

The lights in her bedroom began to turn on and off as Regina continued chanting and throwing the herbs over Jexel's body. It seemed to take forever but she was finally done. "Is that it?" Isabelle asked. "That's it. He needs to rest for the remainder of the night but he should be good as new in the morning. Call me with an update. Enjoy your naked guy" said Regina before collecting her things and walking out the door. Isabelle made sure to see Regina out before locking up everything and returning to Jexel. She locked her bedroom door behind herself and practically jumped into the bed next to him. "Hey...how do you feel now? Anything?"

Jexel finally opened his eyes all the way for the first time since his injury. After Regina had left and Isabelle leapt next to him, he took note of all his vitals, smiling at the lack of severe pain. However, he found that he had no ability to move anything below his neck, so he turned his head to face Isabelle and answered. "I...I can't move. I feel pretty good other than that though. I gotta say, herbs and chanting are new...my mother was a healer, see, and she had practiced enough to scarcely lay a finger on someone to take care of the problem... Thanks again, for everything. This entire thing was a brand new experience for me. I always thought I'd be stuck in the same ol' apartment, working the same dead-end jo-" Jexel cut himself off, wearing an expression of utter disbelief. After a brief pause, he continued. "...I forgot about work. I can't believe it..." As exhaustion quickly set in, Jexel sighed softly to himself and began closing his eyes. "Oh well... I'll...I'll take care of it...tomorrow..." With a yawn, the lynxling fell fast asleep, purring lightly as he began to dream.

"Let's worry about everything tomorrow. Let's go to sleep and no sneaking out of bed in the middle of the night." There went that knot in her stomach again but she embraced it. She adjusted the sheets so she lay under them with Jexel and snuggled close to him. She sighed and prayed Regina had actually done what she had promised. She hated lying but she felt compelled to protect her friend. Laying awake for a while she replayed the last few days with Jexel. What an adventure and they hadn't even known each other for a full week. The thought brought a smile to her face and she buried her face by his arm and fell asleep. He was so comforting, even in his current condition, she felt safe, she felt secured, she felt...she didn't know what else she felt but she liked the way he made her feel. It had been a long time since she felt that way. The dreams came quickly as she conceded to the exhaustion...it had been a long day.

It was early morning when Jexel next awoke. He had finally gotten a full night of sleep with no interruptions. He almost thought that he dreamed the whole escapade, but upon opening his eyes, Isabelle's sleeping visage met him. Thankful that she couldn't see his face turn a deep shade of red, he got out of the bed quietly, hoping not to wake her. After ensuring that all his limbs worked properly, he did some stretches and exercises to limber himself up. Being inactive for so long had given him a lot of pent up energy, and in such a closed space, he had little room to do much else. Once finished with his exercises, Jexel was stumped as to what to do next, so he simply stood there, watching Isabelle sleep. He knew it was weird, but still he stood, dumbfounded in adoration.

The sun gleamed on her face, waking her. She slept wonderfully, Jexel was very comfortable she thought. Reaching over for him she noticed he was gone...again. She sighed still with her eyes closed. "I thought I said not to sneak out of bed again." Opening her eyes to look for him she was greeted by two amber eyes staring right at her. He gasped and grabbed her chest, "You scared me." Propping herself up she noticed he looked a lot better. "You're looking good today, how you feeling? Everything working ok?"

Jexel chuckled as she gasped, and began to speak. "Sorry, I felt a bit...restless. I hate not being able to move, ya know? But hey, I feel great! Everything works well, and I feel as able as always." His tail lashed about excitedly once more, unburdened by pain and injury. Even his eyes reflected his health as they sparkled and glowed furiously. He let himself calm down before continuing. "I...I'm sorry for being such a bother. It's been an intense couple of days for us, and we've barely known each other a week. I know you don't like hearing me say it, but I can't let myself be a nuisance to you. The next time something like this happens, I promise I'll take care of it myself." It broke Jexel's heart to say it, but he couldn't let Isabelle get in any sort of trouble. He would be too ashamed to go on. Tears began welling up in his eyes, but he quickly wiped them away. With a short sniffle, he began again. "So, what do we do now? I don't even remember what day it is, so until that's resolved, I'm totally free."

She dismissed him with her hand saying "Oh please, stop it. What are friends for if not to be there to pick up all the pieces when we mess up?" She smiled at him as she examined him. He did look a lot better and he seemed to be back to his regular old self. Isabelle was very happy that whatever Regina did...actually worked. She thought about perhaps asking Regina to teach her some magic. "It's Friday," she began, "just another boring day for me. What are you going to do about work? There's no way I can get you out of here unnoticed during the day. Sorry Jex but you stand out like a sore thumb." Removing the covers, she adjusted herself and sat on the side of the bed facing Jexel.

"Hmmm, what to do then..." Jexel wondered, not seeming all too broken up about work. "I don't know, what should I do? What are you going to do?" He asked with increasing levels of curiosity, boredom, and frustration. He began to pace around the room as he thought, becoming irritated in his inability to do anything of worth. As he paced, the ambient temperature began to steadily increase. Pretty soon, small heat waves could be seen emanating from the lynxling's body. It wasn't an unbearable heat, but it started feeling less like mid-spring and more like late summer. "Why can't I think of anything? Rgh, and why is it so hot! I can't concentrate when my fur is plastered to my skin!" As he spoke, tongues of fire flickered out of his mouth, though he took no notice. His eyes began to glaze over a bright gold hue, and the heat waves grew in noticeability. Steam arose from the carpet from where he stepped, and though no open flame had appeared yet, it was sure to happen if given enough time.

"Holy sh.." She recognized the change in Jexel's eye color and noticed the steam rising from her carpet. He didn't even realize what was about to happen. Her friend, whom she had saved only a few days ago, was about to set her house on fire. His fur began to stick to him as his temperature rose and did he just spit fire? Isabelle opened her eyes wide, she wasn't sure what to do. "Jex....Jex...relax...calm down." It was like he didn't hear her, he just continued to ramble on and on without a single thought as to what was happening to him. She arose from her place and walked cautiously towards him. "Jex.." She had to take his mind off of what he was doing. He was becoming anxious and apparently anxiety was a trigger. Not having very many options and unsure of how else to calm him, Isabelle stood directly in front of him, grabbed Jexel's face between her hands and planted her lips directly on his.

Jexel stood there, immediately shocked still at what had happened. The rise in temperature halted and began reverting to normal, and his eyes returned to their usual amber color. Letting himself cool off, he closed his eyes and enjoyed the sensation that flooded his nervous system the moment his lips locked with Isabelle's. One moment of bliss later, Jexel realized what he had just begun to do, and stumbled backwards onto the floor. His expression was one of sheer horror and fear. Tears began to form in his eyes and he backed himself into a corner of the room. Trauma began to set in as he attempted to stutter out speech. "I-I-I'm s-so sorry... I.. I j-just *sniff* d-didn't... I-It was a-an accident..." He was choking on his own words as tears streamed down his face. Clutching his knees close to his chest, Jexel did his best to stifle his sobs of remorse. The fire had died out in him, as his emotional state once again began to shatter.

He was kissing her back and she was enjoying the moment when he suddenly began to back away until he was on the floor, sobbing and in tears. "Relax..."she said, joining him on the floor. She started combing the sides of his hair gently in an attempt to soothe him, "Nothing happened. We stopped it right on time. Everything is ok, you're ok, I'm ok. Besides, looks like we found a way to keep you calm and distract you" Isabelle looked in his eyes again, the amber pools ever more enticing. "We could..umm..always do it again if you want...if you liked it I mean" she said shyly, lowering her gaze when her cheeks became hot and turned red from embarrassment. That knot in her stomach returned again but the only thing on her mind right now, was how much she wanted to kiss him again.

"No... No no no!" Flinching at her touch, Jexel backed away from Isabelle once more. "I-It's the same thing! It KEEPS HAPPENING!" Tears continued to flood his face as he looked around in a panic. Crouching on all fours, he bounded out of the bedroom door, down the stairs, and out the back door. He was no longer thinking logically, as he bursted full sprint towards the wilderness, running more like a beast than a person. He took a few alleyways to keep suspicion away for a time, but soon he went into emotional overdrive and ran straight through the community. His sprint left him as a blur to the human eye thanks to his cat-like agility, but his wails of anguish could clearly be heard through the streets. He had no plan, except to simply get away from Isabelle. Memories from his past haunted him yet again as he recalled the screams of his home, and the smell of his family burning away. He couldn't go to the wilderness, it would be too obvious. He figured his apartment would be the best place to stay. He had a change of clothes all set out anyways, and after that he could just pack his bags and move on. He was used to traveling, and didn't mind starting over again. And yet, every time this crossed his mind, Isabelle's face became branded to his mind, forcing him to break out into louder wails and sobs as he continued to the wilderness.

"Jex!!" She screamed after him but he bounded out of the door, down the stairs and out into the community. "Oh God no." Not thinking straight she ran after him. Isabelle was still wearing her pajamas but she didn't care. She tossed on her boots and kept running, through the back alleys, past her neighbors, as she followed the wails. People were beginning to fill the streets at the sound, propelling Isabelle faster still. Luckily, Jexel moved with such agility that he was just a blur. Isabelle hoped that he was heading towards the covering of the trees in the wilderness. She knew a short cut, and cut through an old abandoned factory that linked to the edge of the border. "Please be there, please be there" she said to herself as she continued into the trees. She was growing increasingly more tired but pressed forward until she was in the middle of the woods. "JEX!...JEX!" she screamed into the wilderness, hoping there was a sign he was around. "You son of bitch, you better come to me if you hear me! You owe me!"

Once Jexel reached the wilderness, he hid in the shadows of the trees and tried to dry his tears. Hearing Isabelle's voice again sent shocks down his spine, forcing him to move quickly back to the Half-Breed community. Not looking where he was going, he ran straight into Isabelle, tripping them both up in the process. He couldn't let himself stop though. She likely saw the direction he was going, but he wasn't thinking straight. Sprinting again on all four paws, Jexel headed to his apartment as a last resort. At the speed he ran, it wasn't long before he was in his room with the door locked. He had to vent, scream, hit something...anything to clear his head, but nothing was working. Torn between staying and leaving, protecting Isabelle or likely killing her, he put his paws on his ears, dropped to his knees, and let out a blood-curtling roar of rage and anger. For a few seconds during the sound, nothing but the dust of the furniture was disturbed...then it all caught fire. First the room, even the couch and the TV, turned into a raging inferno. As his roar continued, the structural integrity of the building became unstable and columns began to fall. Still the sound continued, turning the entire complex into a fireball. The pillar of smoke that arose from it was visible from the entire community, both Half-Breed and Human alike. Jexel tried to stop, to silence the wail of horror that echoed from his lungs, but he no longer felt control. He was frozen, forced to watch as his entire world burned again. Even so, he shed a tear of thanksgiving, knowing that the inferno had begun before Isabelle could catch up. It was inevitable, but only he could have know, so he knelt in wait as his lungs continued to let forth his roar, continuing to simultaneously burn the complex and protect him at the same time.

Just as quickly as he bumped into her, he was gone again and he was heading in the direction of the half-breed community. Without thinking she began running in the same direction. It wasn't smart. She was a human heading straight for the half-breed community but she only thought about Jexel and needed to get to him. It took some time but she finally made it. She saw a half lion and half goat running in the opposite direction. They paid no mind to her, they were terrified. She raised an eyebrow but kept going. Shortly after, she noticed about a dozen half-breeds running towards the wilderness. When Isabelle looked in the direction they were all running away from she noticed an entire apartment complex on fire. "Oh no Jex. Oh no.." The fire burned furiously and the heat was unbearable. The apartment was beginning to fall apart as the fire consumed the foundation and the support beams. Isabelle heard him though, heard Jexel's roar and without a second thought, entered the burning building. The smoke made it difficult to see and it began to fill her lungs. She dodged some large flames and continued towards the roar. The sound grew louder and Isabelle knew she must be directly outside Jexel's door. Fire was about to consume the door when she forced it open and entered his apartment just as the flames engulfed it. She began coughing violently when she saw Jexel in the middle of the floor, the flames coming dangerously close to him. "Jex..." The air was too dense to breathe anymore. Isabelle fell to her knees but didn't allow herself to stay there. She dragged herself towards Jexel.

Seeing Isabelle burst through the door was too much for him. His eyes opened wide as he struggled to move toward her. Still roaring, he crawled over to her and wrapped his arms around her waist. The fire in the room melded around the two, protecting them rather than harming them. The building, now crumbling to ash, still blazed on with the sound of Jexel's unending roar. The terrain was melted down to equal level, as though no building existed there in the first place, but he still roared. The flames of the building formed a vortex around the pair, masking them from sight and turning the chaotic scene into an "eye of the storm" kind of situation. Jexel released his grip on Isabelle, but continued his wail without fail. Falling on his front paws in exasperation, he closed his eyes tight and leaned his head to the ground trying to contain the monstrous inferno to a safe level of heat. His claws extended, digging into the ashen remains of the complex, and his jaw shook from the struggle to stop the endless, senseless noise that spawned the flames.

Finally they reached each other as the fire began melting the room. Jexel grabbed her waist and held her tightly, protecting her from the flames but he would not stop wailing. Isabelle hid in his back after he let go of her waist. She didn't want to leave him. She was terrified and thought for sure she was done for. The building would collapse or the fire would consume the both of them. Unable to hold it in anymore, Isabelle began to cry. The tears flowed freely and her sobs came violently and loudly. Jexel was still roaring into the ground and the roar just terrified her more but she was frozen, unable to move from her position. She only dug her hands into Jexel's back and balled them into his hoodie as her chest heaved continuously more violent. Panic set in, she couldn't breathe anymore, she was running out of oxygen. The room began to spin and Isabelle became lightheaded before finally passing out on Jexel's back.

Feeling Isabelle's body slumped on his finally shed light on Jexel. With a pained struggle, he closed his mouth and instantly fell face first into the ashen ground. Gasping for breath amidst the rapidly dissipating flames, he reached around for the body of the human girl and brought it in front of him. "Why... Why would you keep coming?" Jexel listened to her heartbeat, a faint but relevant sound that brought hope to him. Holding her head in his arms, he continued. "Why didn't you see what was happening? What drove you to...to nearly die? I just need to know why! Please...just...just wake up, and tell me why!" Jexel began to cry, letting his silent tears drop onto Isabelle and the ground in equal measures. "Wake up!" He shouted once more before locking lips with her again, exhaling a fire that didn't burn, but rather began to stir life in the girl.

Everything had gone dark. Isabelle couldn't hear anything, couldn't feel anything. It was just black. Suddenly, however, her consciousness was beginning to return to her and she could feel familiar lips on hers. Jexel was awakening her with his kiss. She opened her eyes and there he was, hair and face full of soot, tears streaming down his face. She forgot where she was for a second when she caught a glimpse of a very small fire still burning something in the corner. It all came back to her in an instant and she opened her eyes wide to examine the room she was in, or rather where the room used to be. Pushing Jexel hard off of her, she stood up, legs still a bit wobbly but they sustained her. She turned with a stumble in a circle as she saw the entire complex had been brought down to the ground and they were basically street level again. Isabelle didn't know what to do, should she run, hide, scream, cry? No, she was angry, very very angry. The fury began to rise in her just like the fire rose in Jexel, only she wouldn't be starting any fires. "WHY?! Why? Why didn't you just stay with me?! Why did you run? Why didn't you stop and talk to me? After what we've been through? After what I risked for YOU!" she yelled at him, coming closer to him now, holding herself as if to shield herself from something. "Why?! You could've stood in my room with me. We could've kissed all day long if you wanted to. But no, you want to kiss me in the middle of a burned down apartment complex?! You have GOT to be kidding me right now." She rambled on and on, "And these, these are my favorite pajamas and now they have dirt, leaves and soot!"

Status
Not open for further replies.