Migma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jexel broke out into a chuckle as he saw Isabelle's personality break through. "Thats more like it!" He exclaimed happily. Just having someone to talk to was a boon to the lynxling, but that person being a human was the chance of a lifetime. He plopped himself back down to a sitting position in front of the girl before beginning to speak again. "Ya know, if you had fangs, I'd say I was looking in some weird, gender-bending mirror! But say, why don't you shoo me away like other humans do to my kind? I thought that was the norm with you guys. Granted, you said you aren't like them...but I can't help but wonder." Jexel's eyes glowed eagerly and gingerly, admiring the emerald sheen that met his gaze as he awaited a response.

Isabelle smiled and sat back down again, picking her knees up to her chest and leaning her chin upon them. Her jeans had a couple tears but she could always tell her parents she was going for a new look. "I don't find any reason to," she began to say. "I've always been a firm believer that we aren't so different, your kind and my kind, other than a few physical distinctions. I'm always fighting with my parents because of it, one of the reasons I'm in no rush to go home by the way. I watch the news too and it always shows you guys attacking us, but the videos always seem to cut at certain points, like if the video had been edited." She looked down at her feet for a second, pondering the next few words, "I think its all one big misunderstanding. I'm pretty sure we can all coexist but humans...humans don't like to change and have a hard time accepting anything that's outside the norm." She peered back up at Jexel's golden eyes before speaking again, "Like you...to them, you are not normal. But to me...you're just fine. At least I think you are. I only just met you like twenty minutes ago but you can tell a lot about a person in short amount of time. You could've let me fall to my death and rid the world of one more human but you didn't...you saved me and for that I will always be grateful. But enough of the dreary stuff, tell me a little about you." She lifted her head from her knees and perked up a bit, eager to get to know the lynxling better.

"Oh, I..uhh..." The half-breed stuttered as he quickly grew red again. He wasn't used to talking about himself, and he wasn't sure where to start...if he even had a start. "Well, what can I say that you don't already know? I was born in the wilderness, specifically up mountainside. That's generally where my species resides. I decided I'd had enough of that life pretty early on, so I left. Give or take a few years, and I ended up here at the community. I met a Bull half-breed who let me have a room in a cruddy apartment complex, so thats where I stay. As long as I'm not around when he stops by for rent, I don't have to pay him, so it's basically a free living space as run down as it is. I have the most horrifying couch you could ever see, and a TV the size of a toaster. My life...is kinda boring actually." At this, Jexel smirked. He was glad to share his life with someone. He always stayed away from others, and lived a very pent-up life. His repressed emotions were all he had left, and it was very obvious with his outbursts of personality.

"Really?!" Isabelle raised one eyebrow, "You seriously live in those conditions? How can any one live like that? I mean...do you even have cable?" She chuckled a little, she realized she was being a little ostentatious. "Well then," she began again, "you and I Jex are going to have to think of something to make your life a lot less boring." She placed a finger over her lips and tapped her nose lightly as she thought for a second. "Let me see....hmm...ahh, do you work? Of course you work, well after you get out of work and I get out of class which should be around the same time, we are going to meet here, well not here exactly but how about where we first met? I promise not to scream...or fall." At this, she laughed. She was genuinely enjoying herself and enjoying spending time with Jexel. He was friendly and alone, kind of like herself. Isabelle had a lot of friends, yet she always gravitated to the wilderness to be alone from the noise. With Jex, however, she felt like she wanted to share her sanctuary. She figured, he needed it just as much as she did.

Jexel laughed too at the burst of mirth that came from Isabelle."My living conditions are temporary, I hope. I just need to keep saving money. As for meeting, I would love that idea. Whether you scream, fall, or both, I'll be around to catch ya, so don't worry about it." He smiled with a sigh of relief to hear that he had a friend. After a peaceful silence, Jexel spoke again. "So, what will we do? I literally spilled my life's story to you in about five minutes, so I've been cleaned out in terms of stuff to talk about." He ran a paw through his hair while talking, trying to overcome the urge to comb his fur without looking like a total moron.

Isabelle blushed at Jexel's comment. "Aww, you're sweet. Now I'm going to expect you to be this nice to me all the time. I wish the boys back home were as sweet as you are." She gave him a big smile before continuing, "Well, you may have told me your life story but I haven't told you mine. Oh, and when we get done with that we can do all sorts of things...like...read, or write something, play games...I can bring my iPod and stereo and we can dance! Do you like to dance?" She genuinely enjoyed his company and began to really start seeing him as a really good friend. "The sky's the limit Jex, and we have an entire wilderness area all to ourselves. We can do whatever we want!" She looked into his golden eyes once more, she just couldn't get over them. She could get lost in them if she were allowed.

At her praise, Jexel blushed once more, even letting a purr slip through. He quickly caught himself and stopped, making him turn an even deeper shade of red. Hoping she didn't catch the blatant cat-ism that was uttered from him, Jexel continued to speak. "I am eager to hear what you have to say. Talking like this...it makes me feel real again, not like some figment that everyone ignores. And...What's an iPod? Maybe we should spend a day to get me caught up on all these words you use." He broke into a laugh, realizing just how much he had to learn about the world on the other side. As his eyes locked back on hers, he slid into a calm trance, wondering why he was so enticed with the one thing he was taught to avoid the most.

She laughed along with him, locking her eyes with his once again, wondering to herself why she was so fascinated by him. Catching a quick glimpse of her wrist watch, Isabelle gasped, "Oh my! Its getting late and my parents are going to kill me! And I dont even know yet how im going to explain these scratches and bruises" she looked at both her arms before continuing, "Ugh!" She exclaimed as she arose from the ground and dusted off the loose dirt from her jeans. "I'll see you tomorrow then? At our tree?" She looked back at him beguilingly as she began heading the general direction of the two community borders.

"Sounds good!" Jexel shouted in response. He could hardly contain himself. Finally, someone who he could trust again. The moment she passed from sight, he began to brood on how he should go about the next few days. There was one thing he had neglected to mention to Isabelle out of fear, and the next few days would clear his mind on what to do. Without any clear direction to go for the rest of the day, Jexel climbed back up to the treetops and relaxed on a nice, thick branch. Once again, he let sleep overtake him, with thoughts of the human girl on his mind.

Isabelle half jogged, half walked to the border due to the soreness in her limbs. She brushed passed some shrubs and trees before finally breaking into the clearing of the human community. There were a few people lingering about but they paid no mind to her. She proceeded to her home through the back of the houses to avoid view. When she finally reached her home she noticed an open window and climbed through it, against the wishes of her aching limbs. Sneaking past her parents room, she opened the door to the bathroom and locked it behind herself quickly. Her mother always kept the first aid kit there. Locating the kit, Isabelle removed all her clothes, turned on the shower and went in. She let the warm water engulf her for a while, enjoying the relaxing feeling before washing off all the dirt and cleaning her wounds. Luckily her parents went to sleep early, which allowed Isabelle to dress her wounds and sneak into her room unnoticed. After getting ready for bed, Isabelle lay on her queen sized bed draped with sheets of Egyptian cotton and reminisced about the day and about Jexel. She thought of him for a while and smiled before finally falling asleep.

The next day, like clockwork, Jexel finished up at work, took a nap at his apartment, avoided paying rent, and went for his walk in the wilderness. He climbed high into the branches of the trees, letting the leaves engulf him in a blanket of natural beauty. There he lay in wait for Isabelle, eager to hear her voice again. The night before yielded no comfort to him, as he continued to wrestle over his only true secret and whether or not to tell the girl. He absentmindedly combed his paws as he lay in wait, listening to the chirping of the insects and the whistling of the wind. As he relaxed in the embrace of branches and leaves, Jexel was lulled into yet another sweet slumber.

The next morning Isabelle awoke just as tired as if she had never gone to sleep. She spent the night trying not to think about the pain in her arms and legs but also thinking about Jexel. She quickly got dressed and threw on some long blue jeans and a long sleeved purple shirt. It was humid out but the long sleeves would conceal the bruises and scrapes. Isabelle would rather sweat than deal with all the questions. She packed her school bag with her iPod, stereo and some sandwiches for a nice lunch with Jexel after class. After a long and drawn out school day, she headed straight for the wilderness, dodging every person that passed until she reached the trees. She zigzagged again through the trees but she couldn't run, her muscles were too fatigued for that. She found the agreed upon tree and looked up, the long branches and leaves concealed everything so Isabelle could not tell if Jexel was already up there or not. Adjusting the bookbag on her back and picking up hair up into a ponytail, she mustered all the strength she had and jumped to the lowest branch to propel herself upwards. Her muscles swelled with the pain but she was able to lift herself upon it. Her pants and breathes grew heavier as she continued slowly upwards, pushing past the pain and onto the next branch.

Jexel's ears twitched as the sound of heavy breaths escalated up the branches. Recognizing the sound as Isabelle, he made his way down the branches to meet her. He had forgotten the wounds that she had on her arms and legs, and was determined to make up for his shortsightedness. Spotting the girl, he pounced down from branch to branch in his cat-like way, excited for a new day. His old, torn up jeans let the fur of his legs feel the cool breeze, and for once, his tail was loose and free from its bonds. With exceptional agility, he reached the branch that Isabelle was struggling up and extended his paw. "Need a hand?" He said with a mischievous flair. His eyes looked straight into hers and he smiled. "Maybe we should stick around on the lower branches for a while. It looks like you're in more pain than you admitted yesterday."

Struggling to pull herself up to the next branch she heard the rustling of the leaves and in an instant Jexel was above her extending his paw. Her emerald eyes lit up as she locked eyes with him once again. With a big grin she said "Yes, please." She placed her hand in his paw and he lifted her up to the nearest branch. Trying to maintain her balance, she aligned herself with the trunk of the tree and leaned against it. She removed her backpack and placed it in front of her, then removed her long sleeved purple shirt and stood in the white tank top she wore underneath exposing the bruises and scratches she had hidden all day. Her shirt was drenched in sweat from the heat and the climb but she stuffed it into her backpack quickly, and with a sense of relief. Catching her breath quickly, she spoke to Jexel again "Yea we can definitely stick to the lower branches for a while until I get better. I'll make sure to take some pain killers with me next time. Hey...so how are you?"

Jexel's tail lashed about excitedly as Isabelle got up on the branch. He was eager to talk again, and it was obvious. However, at her first question, he let his tail fall, and became flustered. He still hadn't decided whether to tell her his secret yet, and making a decision so soon was not his strong suit. "I-I..uh, well, I guess I'm f-fine." He stated with difficultly, tripping over his words in an attempt to think about his predicament at the same time. "Nothing new has happened...recently...I suppose." He struggled to muster a fake laugh, realizing how terrible of a liar he was at that moment. Usually he was quick with words, making sure to state bluntly how he felt and when he felt it. With Isabelle though, he began to try and think through his words. Sounding like an idiot in front of her was terrifying to him, and offending her or scaring her was even worse of a thought. Jexel's mind finally went blank as he stared into her eyes, gaining some amount of relief from the emerald pools that met his gaze.

Isabelle lifted one eyebrow over the underlying nervousness in Jexel's voice before addressing him further, "Everything ok Jex? You seem a little uneasy." She rubbed her arms a little before rummaging through her backpack and removing the ziplock bags containing the sandwiches. "I brought up some sandwiches so we can eat. I wasn't sure what you liked so I made ham and cheese, cheese and salami and peanut butter and jelly. I'm hoping you like at least one of them." She lined the sandwiches on her back pack and pushed them towards Jexel so he could pick one. "Do you want to talk about something? I know we don't know each other for long but you can tell me anything you want."

"I-I'm not feeling hungry, thanks" Jexel said as he gently nudged the sandwiches away. He began rubbing his paws together as he continued to ponder what to say. The more he thought, the faster he rubbed. His eyes began to turn a bright gold rather than their usual amber, and before he realized it, a fire had broken out between his palms. Seeing that the choice had been made for him, he lifted up his flame-cloaked paws for Isabelle to see, and began to speak. "I...I wanted to tell you about this, but I didn't want to scare you. I hid it away for so long... I guess I was more nervous to show you than I imagined." Jexel's expression became depressed as he clenched his paws, snuffing out the fire that had formed. As his eyes turned back to normal, he continued. "So, uh...I guess you won't want to see me again... Thats fine I guess. I-It was nice to m-meet you..." He attempted to choke back a few tears, with no avail, at his assumption of her reaction, and slumped down on the branch in frustration at himself. He had, in his mind, done all three things that he feared the most, and his emotional instability couldn't take it.

Isabelle's eyes lit up in fascination as she saw the fire consume Jexel's paws. It was the most amazing thing she had ever seen, she was beside herself and completely overjoyed. "Wwwwwooooooooooo" she said in awe, "That....is.....so.....AWESOME! You have powers! I've heard of the half-breeds having powers but I never believed it until now. This is so amazing!" Noticing that Jexel had retreated into himself, with tears flowing on his face, Isabelle grabbed his face in between both her hands and lifted it off the branch. She looked directly into his golden eyes and said "Don't you ever say that to me again. You can tell me anything you want. I will never judge you or fear you. Not anymore. You are amazing in every way and the only thing I want right now in this world...is to always be near you. I don't know why, we only just met, but... I just do." Gently she lowered her hands away from his face and pushed the sandwiches back in his direction, "Now...you gonna eat or what?"

Last edited:
Jexel quickly regained himself at Isabelle's touch, and her words brought him back to a state of stability. As he dried his tears, he began to speak. "*Sniff*...Y-You do? I, uh, I-I'm sorry for getting so worked up. It's just that you're so nice...and I... ugh, listen to me. I'm turning into a sad sack and we've barely known each other a day. I guess I ought to be happy that you didn't kick me off the branch." Jexel took the ham sandwich and enjoyed a pleasant bite before continuing. "...so, I guess you have questions now. Frankly, after that little episode, I'm an open book. Ask me anything, and I'll do my best to answer." As he took another bite of the sandwich, the sparkle of joy came back to his eyes. It was clear to Jexel that he had unintentionally become an emotional roller-coaster over the course of his isolation, and if he wasn't careful, he would drag Isabelle down with him.

Isabelle smiled as she saw Jexel perk up and return to the sweet natured being whose company she was beginning to seriously enjoy. Grabbing the salami sandwich and taking a bite, she began speaking again, "Ok, well for starters, why are you always alone? You are so sweet and nice. I can't see why you would be so lonely and isolated all the time. Like me...I have tons of friends but they hate half-breeds and I don't. So I purposely stay away from their negativity and close-mindedness, that's my reason for being alone a lot. What happened to you?" She didn't mean to be so forward but she wanted to know him. She could feel herself drawing closer to him and she couldn't understand why she was so....attracted to him. He was like a magnet and Isabelle gravitated towards him. If her family or friends saw her with a half-breed she would be shunned or worse. She shuttered to even think of what "worse" could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.