Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ok...ok. I have everything under control." Malia wasn't sure whether the pep talk was for herself or for Jexel. She slipped quickly out the door, closing it shut behind her, effectively hiding the half breed in her bedroom. If her father knew, he would kill her...quite literally.

Malia composed herself and descended the steps nonchalantly. "Hi daddy," she said as sweetly as she could.

Her father smiled when he saw, drawing her close in an embrace. "Hello sweetheart" he said. "What have you been up to?"

"Nothing much," she lied. "You're home early."

Her father sighed, he was clearly quite tired. "It's been a long day. I've been thinking of working from home for a little while just to clear my head a bit. I never see you. I don't want you to feel as though I'm neglecting you."

"Work from home?! Really?! Oh daddy, you don't have to do that for me. Honestly. I'm fine. I have...Regina!" That came out a little too excited. She tried to stay calm. She didn't want her father suspecting anything.

The mayor raised a brow and walked towards the kitchen, setting his briefcase upon the marble island. "Still. I could use a bit of a break. Were you expecting me early?" he said gesturing to the open bowls of left overs.

Malia laughed nervously. "Oh no. I was just...I couldn't decide what I wanted that's all."

The mayor eyes her curiously again. "Is everything alright Malia?"

"Of course daddy. I'm just tired. I have a lot of work to do myself. I'll just head upstairs and work on the mountains of homework."

The mayor nodded his head and Malia went up the steps. What was she going to tell Jexel now. He literally could not leave her house. Not until her father decided it was ok to go back to work. She entered the room quickly and sighed. "Looks like you're crashing here for a couple days. My dad is going to be working from home so sneaking out isn't going to work right now." She walked over to her bed and sat on the edge, head in her hands, contemplating what their next step was. "I'm sorry," was all she could muster to say. "I got you into this mess." She rose from the bed and went into her large walk in closet, pulling out some sheets and extra pillows. "Um...I guess you can make a small something on the floor then?" She wasn't sure how either of them would feel sharing a bed.

Jexel listened carefully, trying to hear snippets of Malia's conversation with her father. Her pep talk hadn't been entirely convincing, after all. He almost immediately regretted eavesdropping, hearing the inconsistencies in his friend's voice as she lied to her parent. "It sounds like that went well..." Jexel said as Malia entered the room. It was in jest, but her response made his heart sink, and his face burn red. "So...so you're serious? What am I gonna...I'm just, what, staying here? In y-your room?" It wasn't so bad, and he knew it, but something about Malia made him nervous. Really nervous. Not in a bad way, but any kind of nervous in the current situation wasn't going to help anyone. He picked himself up from his paws and grabbed the sheets and pillows Malia offered with a careful touch. "Th-Thanks..." He had to put effort into not being completely silent as he spoke, feeling his throat close up in reaction to the newness of the situation. "I guess it beats out being hunted to death by my own kind..." He forced a quiet laugh as he made a cozy little something on the floor near Malia's bed, kneading into it carefully and circling around on all-fours before settling down in a catlike resting pose. Once settled, he looked up to the human, his Amber eyes glistening with curiosity at what they would do next.

Malia threw him a teasing glare. "Hey! My house is not bad at all. I'll have you know, its the best house in the entire human community. So...there." She stuck her tongue out at him and pretended to be upset, crossing her arms in front of her chest and turning her head away from him. She wasn't upset at all. In fact, she understood his apprehension. He was the only half-breed in the entire human community. No one knew he was here and if the mayor himself learned that there was one hidden in his own home...he'd have Jexel's head for sure.

She let out a deep breath and tried to calm her own rising nerves. What the hell were they going to do now? She giggled as she watched Jexel circling around and get comfortable on the floor. Some days he was so human she couldn't tell he had paws and other days he was more animal than anything. "Is that normal for you? To just switch between your two natures the way you do? You're not quite human but not quite animal either. One minute you're scratching at a tree and the next you sit down and eat food like a normal person. Sorry...that was rude. You are normal...I mean...you know what I mean."

She rose from her bed and went into her closet to change into some pajamas. She quickly threw on some shorts and a t-shirt and walked back into her room, sitting indian style on her bed, just...watching him. There was something about him. Something that just drew her to him and she couldn't figure out what it was. She shook her head and just laid down on her bed. "Get some sleep Jex. We have to brain storm tomorrow what our next plan is." She reached over and shut her lights and tried to sleep but it was difficult. So many thoughts were running through her head at once.

Jexel was prompted to retort at Malia's teasing glair, but thought better of it as he made himself comfortable. Besides, she gave him something else to respond to instead. "It's not really a switch." He began with a chuckle, picking himself back up just to knead at his den of pillows and sheets once more. "At least, I don't think so. It's all instinctual or whatever. There's nothing human about hunting the way we half-breeds hunt, so we eat and act like animals...but then we get home with the bones of our prey, and we're human enough to use the marrow to make a good broth for soup..." He finished running his paws over the mass of comfort and began walking in circles once more, still speaking without pause. "I know I'm not normal, Malia. It's not that hard to figure out... Heck, I'm not considered normal by half-breed standards either! Just look at me; conversing with a human... Halfies live in-between the worlds of humans and animals, but I don't belong anywhere. Go figure, huh?"

The Lynxling, finally ceasing his movements, ran himself head-first into the strangely organized mass, letting out a purr of contentment before allowing the rest of his body flop down. His hood lifted itself up from the impact, letting the white in his hair shimmer against the light for the first time in hours. Before he completely settled, Jexel used his hind paws to push off his sweater, having a minor struggle with the warm article of clothing before stretching out in his t-shirt. Just then, he saw Malia's eyes locked on him. His face broke out in a heavy blush before he could hide it within a pillow. "Y-Yeah, g'night..." He spoke, muffled under his cloth den. As the light turned off, his amber eyes popped up from their hiding place. He could hear Malia's breath the more he focused, but he let her be. There wasn't much he could do to ease her mind, much less his own, so he simply did his best to fall asleep. There was no telling what the next day would bring.

Jexel's words resounded in her mind throughout the course of the night. But I don't belong anywhere. It was sad. No one should feel like they had no place in the world. No one should feel as though they had nothing going for them. Not a human, not a half-breed. No one and especially not Jexel. He was so sweet and kind. He didn't deserve it. He was her friend despite the odds and the fact that he wasn't completely human. Her eyes gravitated towards him. The moonlight beamed in through her bedroom window and illuminated the portion of the room where Jexel was sleeping. She couldn't help staring. His paws were buried in between pillows and blankets and he looked so human as he slept, except for the tail and prominent ears but otherwise he was just like any other man she had even met. Handsome too. Wait...what? She had to get those thoughts out of her head right away!

She turned around and did her best to fall asleep. The sun beamed in through the same window and woke up Malia the following morning. She could hear her father moving around downstairs and there was a woman's voice too. Probably Mrs. Jones the house keeper. She'd have to remember to keep her out of her bedroom until after her father left. How Malia wished her father would be called in for some emergency. Her founds found Jexel's and she smiled. "Morning." She sat up, yawning and stretching out wide. Her t-shirt rose exposing most of her stomach but she quickly brought it back down after realizing it had risen. "Did you sleep alright? How's the uh-bed there? You hungry? I could go down and bring us up some breakfast."

Jexel was sleeping soundly when Malia woke up. The sheets and pillows bunched around his fur, encasing him in warmth. Slowly, he responded to the human's voice as she asked him questions, simultaneously digging himself further into the covers. "Mmrhm... It's... It's comfy..." He began, pressing the bridge of his nose into his pillow with a purr. "If... If you have m-milk, that's all I'll need..." He yawned, rolling on his back and stretching out as far as his body would allow. His exposed paws extended like any cat's would, long, sharp claws slowly reaching out as his muscles tensed. After a brief inhale and exhale, Jexel let his arms and legs contract, rolling back to his side in contentment. His eyes were still closed after all that, but his ears twitched as they picked up the voices downstairs. After a few minutes of silence, his eyes popped open, as though he remembered exactly where he was, and who was watching. The Lynxling's face quickly burned crimson, and he locked his glistening amber eyes with Malia's. It was too late to take back what she saw, so he simply sat up and waited for the human to make a move.

Malia watched Jexel with amusement. Some days he was so human and others, like this morning, he was more a cat than anything. She couldn't help but giggle. "Milk it is then. Would you like that in a little bowl too?" she teased before standing and heading towards the door. She pressed her ear to the door to ensure no one was around then quickly opened the door and stepped out, shutting it quickly behind her. She descended the steps and smiled as she saw her father with the morning paper and already having breakfast. "You're up early," he said as he looked to his daughter.

Malia simply shrugged her shoulders. She normally never awoke early but having a half-breed in ones bedroom would definitely do the trick. She sat beside him and spoke for a bit, conscious that she couldn't leave Jexel alone for too long. She worried her might set something on fire if left to his own vices in a human home. She grabbed some pancakes, bacon and potatoes, a cup of orange juice and a glass of milk for Jexel.

"You hate milk," her father said as he drank from his coffee.

"Trying something new. Trying to be healthier you know? Strong bones yada yada. That's what the Ojs for, just in case the milk isn't too good." She forced a smile and began to head upstairs. "I'll eat in my room. I have...a lot of homework."

She quickly dodged into the bedroom and set the food on the bedside table. "Glad to see nothing is charred at least," again she teased. "I brought up some extra food in case you wanted something other than the milk." She passed him the glass and laid out the food so he could pick from should he choose. "So we're going to be pretty much trapped in here for a little while. I hope you're going to be ok with that. Hey, maybe you should tell me your triggers so I don't do something by accident that will cause you to set my very nice house on fire."

Jexel was about to react when Malia exited the room, but he was still too tired. With a sigh, he proceeded to resume his feline-esque morning routine, which involved rolling around once more into the pile of cloth he was forced to call a bed. He didn't mind how degrading it must have looked. It was the best night's sleep he had ever gotten, so he was instinctually determined to claim the spot as his own. He had finished his routine, and had found a spot on Malia's bed where the sun shone bright and warm when she walked back in. "Where's the...wait... You were kidding about the bowl, weren't you..." Jexel said with a huff, red once again coloring his cheeks. Picking himself up towards the table, he took the glass of milk carefully between his paws. Though he had a bit of difficulty keeping it stable, Jexel finally brought the white liquid to his lips, lapping it up with his cat-like tongue as a sort of taste-test before drinking it like a human would. Once he was quenched, he set the cup back on the table and began to ponder Malia's question.

"Trapped isn't something I like to hear, ya know..." He began, sniffing at the bacon slowly. "I mean, isn't that what humans do to regular animals? Half-breeds hear the word 'trapper', and they go ballistic. That's as inhumane as it gets, really." After taking a small bite of the crisp meat, Jexel pushed it away in favor of the potatoes. After a bite or two, he continued. "...As for my triggers, I can't really tell you much. It just...happens. My biggest accidents happen when I get angry, o-or afraid...but I can't just turn it off. It's...It's never 'off'." Jexel picked up another potato, but put it back down instead of eating it, his appetite worn down from unsavory memories.

As Malia began to eat her breakfast with Jexel beside her on her bed, she became increasingly worried of his instability. Were all half-breeds like this? Unable to control their gifts? Or was it just Jexel because he was forced to be alone and fend for himself? He didn't even know what triggered his power and she wondered if he could even command them at will or if he was simply driven by emotional stimuli. She placed her hand softly over one of his paws and gave him a reassuring smile. "Don't think about the accidents. They're in your past and you should never dwell on the things you cannot change." Perhaps she should some how help him. At least they needed to find a way to control Jexel's abilities before he caused some unspeakable tragedy.

After breakfast, Malia cleaned up and pulled her book bag out from the corner of the room. "I have some homework to do and I'm really behind. I hope you don't mind." Running around in the woods and getting to know Jexel had seriously limited the amount of work Malia did. She placed the bag on her bed and laid down on her stomach, grabbing some papers and getting to work. Some time later Malia scuffed. "I can't believe I have to read this." She was reading an article on half-breeds and their negative influence to the world. It was truly an erroneous article, especially after having met Jexel.

Without thinking about the repercussion of her actions, she handed the paper to Jexel. "Can you believe this nonsense?"

The feeling of her hand over his paw caused shivers to travel up Jexel's spine. His paw had just began to emanate heat when she removed her palm, and he could feel a slight blush rising to his cheeks. Luckily she had moved on to her homework, leaving Jexel to calm himself down. "I-It's no problem." the Lynxling responded, stepping away from Malia's bed after finishing the rest of the food he wanted. It wasn't long before Malia spoke out again, drawing Jexel away from a boredom-induced nap. Taking the article carefully in his paws, he set it out in front of him and squinted his eyes in an attempt to read the words on the page.

"Um...Malia..." He began slowly, handing back the article slowly, grinning sheepishly. "I, uh...I can't read. I never bothered to learn, ya know?" He lazily crawled up next to the human after situating the papers in front of her. "So, what is it about, huh?" He asked, his face particularly close to hers in order to share a view of the article. "Heck, what is school like? I don't know a thing about it..." He chuckled, resting his chin on his paws while waiting for Malia's explanation.

Malia raised her brows in surprise. "Really? You don't have schools in the half-breed community?" She couldn't believe what she was hearing. It was almost unheard of. Everyone she knew had gone to school or at least knew how to read. The again, everyone she knew was human and Jexel was a half-breed. The two looked to one another, their faces dangerously close to one another. He could really pass for human....

Malia quickly moved her eyes away, flushing a light shade of pink as she returned her attention to the paper before them. "School is ok I guess. Humans start school at around four years old and continue well into their twenties. We learn everything from how to read, how to write, how to calculate something, politics, history. Everyone sits in a room with other students and a teacher who teaches the subject at hand. It can be pretty informative while other times its just plain boring." She chuckled nervously. He was so warm right beside her. He was also the first guy she ever had in her room, let alone in her bed.

She cleared her throat quickly, "Yeah uh..the article says 'Half-breeds are the most vile and ignorant creatures to have ever walked the planet. They cannot be tamed. They are trapped in a sort of limbo. They are not human, they are not animals. They are some mutation in between that must be eradicated before they overrun and further pollute the world we live in. We must make the earth safe again, where there is a clear distinction between human and animal and not full of disgraceful mutts.' That is a direct quote from this article. It's so untrue you know? I can't believe people write this stuff."

"Woah woah woah! Let's not assume, huh? We learn stuff, it's just...different things. Writing and reading for us. Paws aren't exactly good for doing human things, ya know?" Jexel sighed and looked toward Malia, only to realize how close he was to her. He stared for a moment, his face warming up with each passing second before she looked away. Jexel knew that his face must have been red as a beet, but it was too late to move away now. It was awkward enough already with his body emanating heat from the embarrassment. He was quick to pay attention as Malia began explaining the human education system, looking for something to take his mind off of how close they were on the bed. It wasn't so unusual for half-breeds to huddle together, but Malia was different; a human, and a girl to boot. Most of the half-breeds in the community kept to themselves, and even they would consider his position incredibly scandalous.

"That's a bit too long to learn stuff, don't you think? Half-breeds are taught everything by their parents around eight years after they're born. Survival, communication, travel...ya know, important stuff." Jexel scratched his face, trying to remember his past schooling. It was about this time when she read the article out loud. His thought process was immediately broken with every blatant opinion the article seemed to state as fact. "Are...Are you kidding me?" He looked straight at Malia, pressing his paws down on the bed in frustration. "M-Mutts? Eradicated? What kind of power trip are these guys on, huh?" His eyes flared into a glistening golden hue the more he talked himself into a frenzy. What had been a plesent warmth quickly became a vicious and dry heat eminating from his body, and his paws were visibly sparking. "Like, what? Are they amassing some sort of army? What do they have that gives them the right to make this kind of assumption? The hell, Malia!?" The moment his voice escalated, his paws broke out in a small spurt of flame that set Jexel straight. As quick as he had gotten worked up over the article, he patted out the fire that he had started on her blanket and settled back. "I-I...I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to get worked up like that..." He was quiet. His eyes, though not glimmering gold anymore, were large and kitten-esque in innocence. The heat had all but left him as he scooted away from the human and back onto the floor.

Last edited:
Malia realized her error almost immediately as Jexel began to become increasingly more irritated the more she read from the article. His eyes lit up like fire and Malia was frightened. The heat emanating from him was dangerously hot and his paws began to spark. "Jex..." she tried to say softly but he kept talking, angering himself until he yelled and his paws spewed fire burning the bed sheets. Malia gasped and ran to the bathroom quickly grabbing a cup of water and tossing it onto the bed to ensure the fire was out. She then ran towards her radio and turned it on full blast. "Have you lost your mind?!" she told him with fire in her own eyes. She wasn't going to spark any fires but she was definitely scared and angry at the exact same time. He yelled out and almost burned her bed!

Malia's father ascended the steps and knocked on her door. "Malia?! Malia! I'm trying to work downstairs. Please shut that thing off!"
"Sorry daddy!" she called back and lowered the radio. She was relieved she had dodged that one. She didn't even want to think what her father might do if he discovered Jexel in her bedroom.

She waited until she heard her father descend the steps to speak again. "Really? You yelled?! My father is downstairs. He would kill you if he learned you were here. Not only are you a man but you are a half-breed. You can't draw attention to yourself like that!" She crossed her arms in front of herself, shaking her head. "You need to learn to control your powers. How am I supposed to explain the scorch marks on those sheets?"

Malia crossed the room and removed the burned sheets from her bed, rolling them into a ball and tossing them into a corner. Luckily the mattress had not caught fire. The sheets would be much easier to hide anyway. She went into her closet and changed the bedding then sat back down on her bed. "Sorry for snapping at you before. It's kind of a natural reaction when your bed is being burned." She sighed deeply and continued. "You have got to learn to control your abilities Jex or it will be the death of you." Or someone else frankly.

Malia sat silently for a moment just thinking. "Hmm...I think in order to control your abilities we need to learn what sparks them in the first place. Let's see....we know when you're upset and angry. That's a definite. What about if you're hungry? Or thirsty? Sad? Happy?"

Jexel flinched and turned quickly away from Malia as she yelled at him, fearing the worst from the angry human. Maybe he had gotten himself into something worse than he expected. With the radio blaring, Malia yelling, and her father speaking from the other side of the door, he felt a rising panic in his chest that told him to run while he could, but everything settled before he could make a move. His muscles were tensed, his eyes were squinted, and his teeth were clenched in order to soften whatever punishment she had prepared...but nothing came. His ears were still ringing from the cacophony of senseless noise that assaulted him only seconds before, so when he dared a glance back at Malia, all he could see was her mouth moving, and her head shaking. Jexel turned away once more, but not for the same reasons as before. Rather than fear, he felt the guilt that always came after any sort of accident.

His hearing finally fully returned after a moment, allowing him to hear Malia's opinion on controlling his powers. "...I d-don't know." He responded carefully, still tensed for the worst. "I really don't know, I'm sorry..." His voice was quiet and submissive as he sat on the ground, blatantly refusing to make eye contact with Malia.

Malia noticed the change in Jexel's demeanor almost immediately. She wished she hadn't allowed her anger to target Jexel but he had almost set her bed on fire and had almost outted himself in a human home. She should know better. She needed to get him out of her home or risk what her own community would do should they discover a half-breed was living in the mayor's mansion. She had seen the videos. They were played constantly throughout the years. Jexel's fate wouldn't be a good one and she would suffer consequences as well for being an accomplice. He needed to find a new home. She hated the idea that they really couldn't be friends because of the circumstances. Jexel seemed like he would be a really good friend. He was sweet, kind, good looking, wait...stop. She shook the thoughts from her mind and moved to where Jexel was seated on the floor.

Sitting beside him she forced him to look into her eyes, holding his face between the palms of her hands. "Hey...I'm sorry too k? I didn't mean to snap at you. It's just how I react when I'm scared. Looks like we have a lot to learn about each other huh?" She smiled at him, attempting to reassure him or perhaps she needed to reassure herself. She could feel the hear rising in her cheeks as she began to blush from being so close to Jexel. She lowered her hands quickly and cleared her throat. What was going on with her? Now it was Malia struggling to make eye contact. This could not be. It just couldn't. She could not be attracted to a half-breed. She just couldn't!

"Uh-yeah-uh, maybe we're just going about this the wrong way. What if we just need to find your calm rather than your triggers? What if you can find a way to stay calm and that is how you can control your powers? What relaxes you? Makes you happy? You know, things like that."

At Malia's touch, Jexel tensed up once more. However, after a moment of waiting for the ripping of whiskers and fur, or the sting of a slap to the jaw, he opened his eyes to pools of glistening grey. A rush of warmth hit his cheeks, and his eyes glistened once more, though softer than before. "Y-Yeah..." Was all he could get out, fighting the urge to nuzzle up against her all the while. He knew it was wrong; a half-breed and a human, together like this. Even so, something tugged at his chest, attempting to demand him closer to her. Before he could act out of turn, she pulled away, bringing a quiet sigh of relief from the lynxling.

Malia's next questions brought Jexel back to the real world, drawing him deep into thought for a few minutes. After a moment's silence, he responded. "Well...being cooped up like this is kinda stressful. Fresh air, trees, lakes...that's my home. It makes me fell calm...alive, ya know? I like the snow, and fish... r-raw fish..." He looked around for a moment, grasping for something else to say, before coming back to Malia, his gaze locking to hers involuntarily. "...you... I-I mean I l-like... y-you make me h-happy, I mean..." He stumbled between his I's and you's before he had a chance to clarify his thoughts, turning his face an embarrassed shade of crimson. The more he tripped over his words, the more he curled into himself. He could already feel the heat emanating from his skin, turning his ever-building nervousness into a physical feeling of soft, sunny warmth. Soon enough, Jexel's face was hidden behind his paws, afraid, for different reasons, of the human's reaction.

Malia nodded her head as Jexel spoke, attempting to understand him. Being coped up? Yeah, she could understand that. He lived in the open when they first met and now he was trapped inside her room, in the human community no less. She could understand that that was definitely triggering his anxiety and making him lose control over his powers. Fresh air? Lakes? Trees? She understood that too. She loved going out into the forest. It was her own escape from the human community and how stuffy it became for her. "I understand," she said as he continued to speak making mental notes. Snow? She loved snow. Maybe they could have a fun snowball fight this winter. The snow would definitely keep the heat from rising in him that's for sure. Raw fish? Oh! She liked sushi too!

Unexpectedly, his next happy thought happened to be her. Malia stopped nodding her head. Her? She made him happy? Did he just say he liked her? Wait, no he didn't. Did he? He kept stumbling over his words and it was confusing Malia because she didn't know what to make of the revelation. His face turned red as did Malia's. It seemed the two couldn't stop blushing when they were so close to one another. She didn't know what to say. Wasn't sure how to handle everything he was saying and at the same time not saying. "Me?" she asked him as he hid behind his paws. So she wasn't imagining it. They were both developing some sort of feelings for each other.

"Oh," was all she could manage to say. She sat back leaning her head against the wall as she thought for a moment. Her stomach fluttered and she didn't know how to handle everything she was feeling all at once. "Ok...so..uh-yeah...to help keep you calm...." Good Malia. Concentrate on the task at hand. It's for the best. "And keep you from burning down my house while you're here...I want you to think about laying in an open field. There's fresh snow on the ground and the trees are covered in white. There's a chill in the air but its not too cold. The lake hasn't even frozen over yet. The snow is soft and attaches itself to your fur and I'm..." Are you really going to put yourself into this happy thought?! "...I'm right beside you sharing a plate of sushi with you. Sushi is what we call raw fish here in the human community. We're having fun and are about to play in the snow."

She brought her hands up and lowered his paws from his face. He was warm but she hoped his temperature wouldn't continue to rise. "How's that for a happy and calming thought?" she asked as she looked to him.

Jexel only felt more humiliated as the human repeated his thoughts as a scene, putting herself as the finishing touch as though it would make everything better. "N-No, I mean yes, b-but..." He spoke with difficulty as his paws were pulled away from his face, forcing him to look at Malia's face once more. "...Th-that's a bit childish, isn't it?" He tried to buck up his confidence, albeit ineffectively, as he spoke, following the human's lead in glossing over his slip of the tongue. "I mean, I can't feel happy on a whim, you know? I'm not really a thinking type of guy...more feeling, I guess." He looked back down to his paws with a sigh, stretching them out just enough to bare his claws. "Really, I don't need much to stay calm, b-but it doesn't take much to set me off either. H-Heck, even being happy kinda...makes me feel warm...like, literally." He let his claws slide back into place slowly before curling back into a more comfortable position. "I can just sleep all day, really. Don't worry about me...o-okay?" He didn't sound entirely convinced that it would work out for long, but Jexel would have done anything to get out of the awkward position he had put himself in at that point.

"Right. Yeah-uh- that probably wouldn't work," she said, agreeing with him. It wasn't like he could just stop to think when he was in the middle of some rampaging emotions. Her suggestion was silly but she was also taken off guard with his revelation. She didn't know how to feel or how to handle their growing emotions towards each other. "Won't you get tired of sleeping all day though? That can get kind of boring, don't you think?" Everything was suddenly so awkward and she didn't know how to change that. "I mean, luckily its just a couple more days. My dad can't work from home forever. He will eventually leave."

Their best bet right now was just to keep Jexel calm long enough for them to continue their journey towards the woods and mountains just behind her home. It was the perfect place to hide a half-breed who was on the run and it was the perfect place to keep Jexel close. Malia rose from the floor in an attempt to fix some of the awkwardness with some distance and sat on the bed. "So, uh- we got a lot of time together though. So, maybe we should get to know each other more huh?...Do you have any family? My mom died along time ago. It's just me and my dad as you can see. I'm an only child. You?"

"R-Right! It'll just take some time..." Jexel repeated Malia's thoughts with a sheepish smile, curling further into himself with cat-like flexibility. When Malia retreated to her bed, he took it as a sign that he was to nap his time away. Not particularly minding that solution, the lynxling began to let his eyelids fall, only to hear the human's next suggestion. "Family? I, uh..." He began quietly, silencing himself as Malia began telling him about her own familial life. When she finished, he uncurled just a bit and rested his chin on his paws. "Me? ...Me... Well, I wasn't born in the half-breed community, for starters..." He committed to his story, yawning before pressing on. "I, uh, I actually ran there from this other place, way deeper in the woods. I guess that's why I'm not as domesticated as other half-breeds; I'm more comfortable outside of community limits. My mom and dad...well, I-I don't really know what happened..." Jexel lied through his teeth about his parents before falling back into his storytelling groove. "A-Anyways, I didn't have a place to live, so I asked around. I ended up being a live-in servant to a family of wolves...and, uh, you saw how that turned out." He ended bluntly, pursing his lips to think of a question to ask in return. "...Uh, so what was up with that article, huh? D-Don't worry, I promise I won't freak out like last time. I just wasn't expecting it, ya know?"

Status
Not open for further replies.