Midwinter

Erei smiled patiently at her half-elf friend. "Yes, Bran. I just finished them. And red laces? It might take a day or so. But come, let's walk and talk. I have lots of deliveries to make. Aren't you cold? We could stop by your house for something warmer..."

Erei liked talking to Bran. The pair were very different from each other, even though they were so close in age. Erei's mind was ordered and calm, while Bran's was excitable and a bit scattered. She also tried to look out for him since his mentor had disappeared. She didn't want anything to happen to him. She opened one wing to wrap around him to keep him warm until they got to his house, and started walking again.

(sorry i replyed so late)

Shiro felt relived and gave a warm smile twords the female " its nice to meet you" when her hand reached over to brush off the snow that fell upon his shoulder he stood still for a moment and watvhed as she wento to help the girl who was under snow all these pople were suddenly appearing and he wasn't sure wether to great them or not he walked over to the small group and and looked at Acaia somehow he felt comfortable around her even though it was the first time they ever really talked he looked at everyone " um..hello" he tried to get his mind off his uncle.

((It's okay. ^^ It happens. You shouldn't worry much))

Everything seemed to have fallen quiet after everyone greeted and spoke for a bit. Acaia finally figured out how to break the ice. "So what does everyone do to spend their time around here?" She knew it was an odd question since there really wasn't much to do within the walls but maybe it would help acquainting each other. Realizing Shiro continued not to say much, she nudged him and gave him a smile. "I'm sure you know how to talk..." Acaia knew for a fact that he must have still been thinking of his uncle. It was hard to not think about something that had a big impact. Her father was like that to her as Shiro's uncle to him.

[DASH=blue]Bran certainly didn't mind the dragon wing wrapped around him. "I'm okay. I'm sure the cold is bracing or something." He rolled his white eyes with a grin at Erei. "Yes, deerhide laces in red." He murmured before continuing clearly imagining the thing in his head.

"It's for the Brewer's daughter. Margret, I think her name is. Lovely girl. I've designed her a dress for the festival and the boots to go along with it. I think the wide soft laces on the boots would compliment it more than thin laces, wide being romantic and less stern in my opinion than the neatly ordered..." He yammered on, trailing into different sorts of lacing patterns and what not.

"With the festival coming up, I'm swimming in work. You know normally I only design my own boots but the Brewer paid me a pretty coin to make his daughter something special. Birthday and all that." He mused and grinned over at her. "Are you excited for the festival? Good beer, good wine, good food and music!" He said and broke away from her, spinning a bit in the snow.

Bran might be thirty four but sometimes he was more like seventeen, in general it was accepted it was the elfishness in him. Either way the townspeople didn't much care, Bran did his work and always made his deadlines and charged fair prices.
[/DASH]

Shiro watched as the people chatted and when he felt the nudge he looked up to see Acaia giving him a smile he returned the smile but faintly he didn't know what to say or do his mind was completly somewhere else and his eyes darted twords the gate once day he was going to get over that gate. It was easy actually just to get to the top of the old cranky man Niel's roof and jump down you'd be right outside, he looked over from what little he could see but he never jumped, he didn't have the right supplies yet, he looked at everyone and then back at Acaia and shrugged his shoulders

"Bracing or not, you should still put a cloak on. You don't want to be sick for festival," she chided him. As he moved off, she kept her wing open for him to return to if he wanted. "Besides," she reasoned, "it's on our way."

Just hearing him talk about the festival made her smile. She wasn't much for dancing and the like, but the food and drink always appealed to her. The roasted meat and hearty pies, and lots of beer. It took a lot to get the dragon-girl drunk, and she could out drink most of the men. And she did prefer the company of the men to the women. Despite her curved, female shape, she thought of herself more along the lines of a strong male, anyway. Maybe it was her work, or her dragon strength, she didn't much care.

At any rate, she was definitely looking forward to the festival. Even if she didn't answer Bran in that regard, the smile on her face said it all for her.

The boy found himself staring at Shiro, noticing the other boy's distant stare. His eyes traced to where Shiro was looking and realizes he was staring at the gate for a moment. Karasu concluded that the boy might had ideas of passing through it. He let out a small cough to clear his throat.

"I don't think I have properly introduce myself yet. I'm Karasu. My father runs the carpenter shop next to the cobbler. There isn't much to do around here but to help him and my mother with chores." His attention drifted back to Haru's statement, maybe it would be best to get away from the gate. "So would anyone like to the town's center?" He still wanted to get his sister something before the festival started.

Hearing the boys cough startled him and he looked over his way for a moment before looking at the ground watching the small skow flakes fall upon his shoes he relized he'd been staring at the gate and he closed his eyes breifly before looking up " im Shiro my Father works at the tailoring shop next to the towns decorartion center" his voice was kind but it seemed distant, the the boy talked about moving from the gate he thought for a momoent he needed to get away from the gate and to stop thinking about his uncle " i'd be happy to join you" he spoke twords the male he haden't planned to go to the towns center but as long as it was away from the gate he didn't mind

[dash=blue]
"You have a point, Erei." He winked. "We'll stop and get my cloak, I'm a man of reason. Sometimes." Bran smiled, he just wasn't an argumentative person. "Ah! There's my house." Bran smiled and darted into the little Tailoring shop and grabbed his cloak off the rack before dashing back out to Erei. She was fun to talk to and she had his laces and this would give him another chance to bother the cobbler.

"Oh! I also need some sinew soon. I've got an incredible idea, you see." He mused for a moment, looking back towards the gate and the kids. He hoped they wouldn't stay there too long. All it did was breed unhappiness. "The kids are feeling restless I think... Gathering at the gate like that." He pinched the bridge of his nose, proving himself to be at least moderately a grown man of thirty four winters. He didn't really remember moving here with his Mentor but he knew his Mentor, the former master Tailor hadn't been his Father. At least not biologically. The old man was in the ground now though and Bran considered taking the grave something festive for the season.

"I remember being that age and being so curious... I wanted out to go find more people like me... But Father..." He stilled. "Yes, my Father convinced me it was a bad idea."
[/dash]

She knew she didn't help but she smiled anyway acting like she didn't know. Her main focus was the boy that did help out a bit. "My mother is a waitress at the diner. I take care of some of the kids to keep them out of the ways of the adults and elders. My name is Acaia. It's very nice to meet you Karasu. If you don't mind I'd like to join you guys a bit later." The daily to do list was not done yet.

Her mind had blanked when she saw the gate. The list consisted of a few different things. Number one was run to the bakery grab some bread and toss it over the wall. It was a habit that Shiro's Uncle had started with her. The habit got worse after he was one to leave the walls. Then the next was gather small things that could possibly help her on the outside. Yes, she wanted to go venture out. Acaia wasn't sure when but she was determined to make it happen. She sighed knowing zshe was behind and those two things she wasn't going to be able to do. The only thing she could do was go visit the bed ridden elders and hear their many stories of the outside world. although they had never been out their parents and grandparents had. They passed down stories.

Her spacing out ceased when she realized she needed an excuse. "I'm sorry. I forgot Mom wanted me to help out at the diner today. I'll see you later." She smiled at them and gave a wink. Seconds later Acaia was gone due to rushing towards to the houses. 'I'm sorry I lied...' She kept repeating to herself.

Nefaeri walked away from one of the shops. Her fur lined hood was still down and her pointed ears stuck out to the side, half-covered by her long ebony colored hair. Her hair fell to her waist and she thought she might braid it later as it was getting windy and she didn't want it to keep getting in her face. Her dark purple eyes searched the street in front of her, smiling warmly to a few who passed by her. She was known to be a nice and warm person, but mostly kept to herself.

She walked out into the snow, pulling up her fur-lined hood. Her ears were still not able to be covered, but she didn't mind the cold on them. She was use to it by now, though she was still technically young in elf years. Her actual age, few knew but most saw her in her mid-20s.

Nefaeri looked around again, ready to return to her home and drop off the things she had picked up.

An odd silence filled the atmosphere after Acaia said she would have to join them later. Snowflakes were falling from the sky gently, the world around them cover in pure whiteness. The boy looked at her with his pale eyes as she spaced out. When she snapped out of it and gave them her reason, Karasu gave her a soft smile. "Okay, we will see you later then Acaia." He watched her run off towards the houses, something didn't seem right about her leaving. Was there something bothering her? He wish he knew what it was.

"So, ready to head to main street?" he asked what was left of the gathering. Karasu looked at Haru and then up to Shiro. The sooner they got away from the gate, the better off they would all be. Karasu couldn't help but to glance at the structure of the gate one more time, he had an urge himself to see what was on the other side.

He nodded and watched Acaia go and he sighed ro himself, all the gate brought was old memories of things people tried to forget ever happened, he knew everyone was curious about what was on the other side just like him and he could tell by thier faces and awkward glances tword the gate. Many nighs he dreamed of climbing the gate and reuniting with his uncle and he'd wake up relizing it was only a dream. Shiro closed his eyes breifly picturing things diffrent and then he started to walk with Haru and Karasu, it'd be the only thing getting his mind off the gate " so are you ready for the festival?" he asked in a rather kind voice.

Haru listened to everyone chattering around her, not wanting to speak up or comment lest she embarressed herself, or ruined things. It was wonderful though, so so many of the people around her had agreed to go to the market - it made her tail swish happily from side to side and her cheeks return to a somewhat normal shade. She was still nervous around them all, but she was excited at the same time.

The only thing that put a damper on things, was that Ms Acaia wasn't coming with them, but it wasn't enough to make her sad - not when she was actually going on an outing! Looking At Mr Shiro and Mr- no, just Kuruso, and hurried to walk with them, not quite skipping but not far from it, "I-I'm so excited! I've n-never been to the market with others before," she said, her voice a little wavery, as though she wasn't used to speaking much - which she wasn't.

Looking over her shoulder she couldn't help but be curious about the Gate - everyone seemed so intriguted by it, and what others did Haru generally followed. It was curious that no-one every went out or in now, but there had to be a good reason right? Her pondering was stopped when she tripped over her feet and stumbled into the back of Karuso, squeaking out "Sorry!" as she blushed again and righted herself.

Snowflakes still falling lightly from the sky as the small group made their way to the markets. Karasu turned to the boy who asked a question. "I suppose I am ready as I can be.. The reason I came out today was to get my little sister a present for the festival," he replied in a monotone manner. Karasu didn't have any real reason to be excited for the festivals, it was just another passing event for him. "How about you? Is it something you are looking foward to?" he asked Shiro.

The suddenly bump to his back caused him to turn around. He gave Haru a small smirk and pat her head. "No need to apologize, I'm sure you are just excited. You have only gone there by youself?"

Nefaeri heard voices and saw Shiro and Karasu. She thought about walking over and talking to them. But she looked down at her things, wondering if first, if it would be better to put her things away. She thought about it and decided why not to talk for a little bit. Then she could go home. But there was something a little troubling. They seemed to have some from the Gates. Nafaeri tended to stay away from that place.

"Hello," she said softly as she walked over to the small group.

Shiro looked at all the houses and people about wondering what they thought of the up comming festival, he snapped out of his thought when he heard Haru speak. " im glad your excited looking foward to anything in particular?" he then looked at Karasu and nodded at his response and thought of how to respond to his question, " Im not really looking forward for anything i guess.." his voice had changed slightly and he looked at the snow on the ground. He wasn't really looking forward for the festival, it was thrown every year and every year was the same..same stories..same everything and all he wanted was for the gates to open. When he heard a voice he looked up to see a female approaching them he waved slightly " hello".

"I see, that makes both of us then. But I guess this kind of stuff is more funnier for the younger ones." He thought of his sister and then smiled at Haru, whom his hand was still on. Karasu pulled back his hand and a thought occurred to him. Maybe he should get her a gift too, since she said she never went to the market with anyone. She must get lonely sometimes. He heard a voice and Shiro responding to it. The boy turned around and examined the woman with his blue eyes.

They seem to be curiously staring at her pointy ears before drifting into her deep color eyes. "Good evening, how are you doing today?" He has seen her before, but can not recall a name. So he tried to be polite as possible.

Nefaeri noticed him looking at her ears and for a moment she blushed red, but she could almost dismiss it as the wind making her face red. Nafaeri wondered if she should find a way to cover them up with her hoods. Maybe get a bigger hood. But the elf didn't really mind too much. As one of the few elves here, she had never hidden what she was.

"I am doing well," she said in response to Karasu's question. She smiled, a warm look on her face. "I was just about to head home but thought I'd say hi. I am sorry if I am interrupting anything."

The girl dodged from house to house trying to not be seen. She knew there were countless occasions that she could have been seen. By hope, that was wasn't true. Acaia ran to a house that hardly had any action. No one really went in nor went out. The perople were storytellers, no doubt. One that a few feared due to if some of the stories were true... They knew they didn't want the gate to be passed. Her body slipped in through the crack window. The family cracked it just for her. They were odd but very kind to her and never did her wrong. Wheezing. Coughing. All the normal signs in the house. They were quiet old and she knew they didn't have a lot of time left. They always told her not to worry that they'd be able to travel the world with no limits. That always tended to make the girl smile. She wanted to be with them looking at the world and venturing through the unknown. Call it passion, fate, destiny, will, or even luck. No matter what it was called to her it had only one meaning. Freedom.

"Mister Phenapè..." Her voice softly reached out. Her eyes gazed upon the elderly man. No where in sight was the woman she normally spoke to. "Where's your wife?"

He gave her a smile as his wrinkled face folded over his eyes when he did so. "She is waiting for me on top of the gate." His words caught Acaia off guard. "Soon I'll be with her..." She was confused on how she reached the gate. Refusing to ask, she just smiled and sat right in front of him. He slowly sat up in his chair and cleared his throat. He knew why she came. It was nice to have her company. It always was. She was like his own grand daughter with out being blood related. Merita and Phenapè never had conceived but with young Acaia running around over the years who needed grandchildren at their age. He began his story about a beautiful world. A city that floated and had a waterfall running off the side. The places and creatures they often spoke of sounded like a paradise. They also often told of horrid stories that often frightened her. Men cloaked in black. Magic burning people inside out. Creatures disfigured and would kill anything in their path. The stories went on... She never knew how to make with those stories. Their town was peaceful and closed off. How could a beautiful world have so much hate and destruction.

After about 30 minutes he finished his story. The story he told was about the girls beginning. He knew she wanted to cross the wall and he also knew it would happen. He smiled at her again this time purposely closing his eye. "My dear girl... It's time..." Her eyes filled with worry. She didn't want to lose him too. "No worries my dear child... We will see you again soon." Tears streamed down her face as it became red and a bit puffy. He wiped a single tear away and exploded in a flash. Blue and lavender butterflies scattered across the room as if his body had created them on it's departure. A single butterfly fluttered out of the window and headed towards the gate.

She girl snuck out the window following the runaway. Acaia smiled when she saw a maroon dot fly off with the lavender one. "Merita and Phenapè..." She whispered. Her arm rubbed her tears away as memories came back to her. Her blood shot eyes looked around and stopped to focus on a small group. "Shiro, Haru, and even Karasu..." Her newly found friends and how she lied. Why couldn't she tell them what she was planning? They'd surely try to stop her... What was wrong with her? Maybe they wouldn't? Her mind flooded with guilt but the plan had to go on. This years festival would be one that would never be forgotten.