Melee and Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cerulean turns his head to lecture being given to Nexus. He wanted to at least stick up for his friend, but the energy wasn't there. He had enough on his plate without intentionally getting between what seemed like a family affair. Cerulean then began to play, in the grass, with his sword.

K.G. turned to him. "You're awful quiet for a human. Don't let the deaths destroy you. Once you see centuries of it, you learn to not care so much. The two of you are alive. And your friend too, if he got his comrades out of the field. Be happy. This means you can return fire once you are all better."

Cerulean turns on his side, with a slightly irritated, puzzled look.

"Then I guess I am glad that human don't live much past a century. As much as this hurts, emotions are part of what makes beings what they are. Besides, they were my friends. People I knew, since my days of first swinging a wooden sword, are dead. They died because for some reason I felt as though I could bring out better results. Who are you to say that I should be use to seeing people die!?"

He sits up and hangs head.

"Sorry. I did not mean to take this out on you. I am not even sure I know you name."

Cerulean wraps his arms around his legs and sits there.

"I don't envy you. Gods, Demons, angels, etc.....I am sure when your first started out being what you are that you still had a lot of care left in you. Now looking across this grass, I could say that all I see is an empty immortal shell that only cares of so few things. Seeing beings like Splice and his followers....it scares me to find that's what we mortals have to go up against. However, I don't know you. I just hope you aren't like them. Caring for others that aren't just close is something I refuse to lose...........................Thank you at least trying to keep up my spirits. "

He turns away, sighing, not knowing what else to say.

K.G. snorted in response. "You think I didn't feel pain when my family and friends died? I feel less pain now simply because the friends I've made in my after life were all immortal such as me. I feel no pain because there is no death. And you are mortal. Humans die every day in your world. Is it really such a shock when it happens?" A touch of disdain entered her voice. "I have caring for my friends. But my friends don't die, and therefore, I feel no pain of death. You do. And yet you claim you do not envy us."

Nexus put up a hand to stop her. "Hush, he doesn't understand. Let him go," he said softly, but she hushed him with a flick of her wrist.

"No, you hush. My name, for your information, is Katie. And I was once just as human as you are. Get up. There is still plenty that can be done, and sulking about a mistake is not going to solve anything. You can sit there and be forlorn, or you can get back up and fight. You are still alive. That is something," she snapped.

"I attempt to at least restrain myself, just so you can go off just because you feel like you have the right?" Cerulean said getting up clinching his teeth.

"If you were a human once you would understand that we accept things because we have to. That doesn't mean I have top like the fact my friends are corpes out in a field somewhere. It is not a shock. It is just something I rreaalllllly didn't want to happen!"

His pendant starts to glow a little as he takes one step towards Katie.

"For YOUR information, the reason I don't envy you is simple. Because being immortal is like waiting for a round of ale in a deseted arena. You just sit there waiting for it to happen. Hell, one might even go crazy. I can almost see why Splice doesn't sit around. He goes out and causes chaos, regardless of reasons. Being an immortal is such a bore. It is flavorless!"

Cerulean spits into the ground, breathing in anger. His pendant glows more, but he throws into the ground and it stops instantly.

"I say again, who are you to tell me what to do? I mean what will you do? Kill me? Ha! Then I would go into the heaven and beat your demon ass as a holy crusader! YOU DON'T SCARE ME! So keep your forever friends, and your ability to have the centuries-worth of wisdom, the dead ones I made friendship with were worth much more then never seeing a grave. I will fight, weep, love, hate, or scratch my ass when I damn well please!"

He gets his things in hand.

"Oh and one more thing. Pleasure to meet you Kate, now go back to hell where you came from."

With that he storms off.

K.G. snarled in response. "And who are you to judge me, with your attitude in the first place? Calling me emotionless and careless because I think logically? Wallow in your pity then. And no, I wouldn't kill a worthless human in rage. And frankly, if angels cared enough, do you think we'd exist? My life is not bland, and nor is it boring. I have plenty to do and keep me busy. So be a coward and storm off. While you pout and act like a child, I will come up with a plan for your so-called attack on Splice. Don't just me human, you don't know anything about me, and therefore have no right to snap at me in the first place. Keep your tone with me, fleshbag, and I keep my tone with you. Furthermore, you have a friend sitting in front of you still alive. I suppose that's not worth something considering he's a demon, with a bland and worthless life. You're welcome." She stood then, and stretched idly.

Nexus stared at the two of them, but was insulted by Cerulean's words, and refused to get up and offer him assistance. Did he really view him like that? Then forget him. There were other matters at hand, such as his brother, and the girl who'd saved his life. He'd figure out his way in the world somehow, even if he did it alone. The insult hurt, and he wasn't in the mood to play nice.

Cerulean stopped listening after he turned his back. He figured all she would try to do prove she was in the right. Though he was not any less guilty, he at least tried to stop himself. Hurting Nexus was the last thing he would want to do. Unfortunately, that is exactly what happened. He hoped that maybe he would know he was only speaking in an attempt to keep himself from being crushed. They were both being bull-headed to the wrong people at the wrong time. He did find it ironic that an immortal could be so easily hurt by the words of a mortal. At this point he was done war, angels, demons, failed attacks, etc. All he wanted was what any beaten soldier wants.....to go home.

"Forget him. We have bigger issues on our hands than a four-year-old human," she spat in distaste. "Where do you think they could have hauled your brother off? Surely there's a cave, or an abandoned castle nearby? He left his kingdom pretty far to come fight you," she said nervously.

Nexus was still agitated, but he let it go for the time being. They needed to survive. That was the important thing. "I'm not sure... I didn't see anything when I was up in the air with him. Maybe he was okay enough to walk after a while, and he just led them off the field for now," he thought bitterly. "I wouldn't be surprised if he came back, actually. This is not really a comfortable place to rest now."

K.G. looked up like a scope. "Hang on, I'll fly up and see if I can spot anything." She beat her wings, and jumped into the air, and took a good long look around. Nothing. The last shambling demons were only out to get their lost weapons. All the others had fled to celebrate their victory, and to heal their leader. When she came back down, she relayed this. "Nothing. No holes in the hillside, no cave rocks, nothing. They just kind of vanished while we came out here. They may have already reached the tree line, and are hiding."

Cerulean wanders around for what seemed like a while. He finds to assaulting hillside that somehow swallowed up what should have been a great defining moment. Sitting, his eyes ran over the now empty battle field. A voice arouse as if from nowhere.

"You are wasting time, Grandson." bellowed a deep scratchy voice. Cerulean leaps up sword in hand. A light from above hits the ground slowly, and and an old man emerges from it. His blue, full-plate armor gleamed in what light that was left. Before another word was spoken, Cerulean embraced his grandfather. Laughter seemed to slip out of the man being squeezed to death.

"Cerulean, I am happy to see you but this is an important matter. I must speak with you."

Cerulean steps back causing a clink or two from his shirt getting a little caught.

"What is it?' He asked.

"Why are abandoning your allies? Nexus didn't need to hear your blameworthy speech. You still have a big part to play in this, before the end. Regardless of words, you know in your heart that you aren't perfect. The failure down there was not your doing. Now that it is time for action my son's boy starts turning into a whelp?" Grandfather whispered. Cerulean stood there, for a second. He didn't know how to answer that. Home sound like a good place to be. However, he knew he was right. Grandfather put his finger on Cerulean's pendant.

"I didn't give this to you because I was told to. I gave this to you because you were the one that would succeed. YOU Cerulean. You were the one with heart of a champion. YOU were the one who always defended the weak." he stammered towards the end. Cerulean looked at the ground shamefully.

"No." Grandfather said lifting up his chin. "That greatness is still inside of you. Swallow your pride and do what's right. Its not everyone that can make a difference. All it takes for evil to win is for good men to do nothing."

Cerulean started to get an adrenaline rush.

"You bear this pendant because you were born to. Use it."

As the words leave his mouth the old man disappeared along with the beam of light. Cerulean looked around to see if he can catch a glimpse, when he saw nothing. Hearing a cry from down below. The pendant then went from gold to blue as Cerulean started to run down the hill towards the battle field. He knew what he needed to do.

"

She stumbled onto the battle field, and looked around. She tripped on swords, shields, and arrows on every step she took. Tears welled up, and they streamed down her cheeks, looking from face to bloody face. There were thousands of them. She didn't quite know how to find the one she was looking for. 'Damn you Nexus, you left me,' she said grudgingly. 'This wouldn't be so hard if you'd stayed behind with me.' Her self-pity welled over the edge, and a fresh wave of tears gushed down.

When she'd had enough of inspecting one hard-to-recognize soldier, she'd step on to the next. She must have gone through about fifty before she thought she spotted a familiar feather in a very familiar helmet. She rushed toward it, and ripped the helmet off. "Daddy?" The question came out a choke, and when she finally took the helmet off the captain's lifeless face, she fell on his chest, and sobbed there. Her jeans and tank top were bloody, and she'd let her long hair hang over her face to hide it. This was it now. Since her father wouldn't return home, who was to help her mother? Who was going to take up his mantle in the house hold? Who would be there to comfort her when she stubbed at toe, or cut herself on a knife cooking dinner?

Anger. She blamed Nexus, because he went into the war, for unknown reasons. He wouldn't tell her that he had to fight his brother, that countless lives would be lost if he didn't. He just told her one day that he would return, but it wouldn't be for a long time. And since then, she'd put up with school bullies, and her mother's coldness alone, ever since. This was almost 2 years ago now. How long would he take?

Cerulean stopped halfway, into the battle field, now standing a good distance away. He couldn't believe his eyes. The crazy captain had a daughter. The cold feeling had hit him like a war hammer. Seeing her embrace him that way, reminded him of what they fought for in the first place. Cerulean wiped the sweat and blood from his forehead.

"Hello?" he said softly.

The little girl whipped around, and stared hard at Cerulean. She hadn't even heard him walk up. She stared at his bloody clothes, and his exhausted, tear-stained face, and then turned back to cuddling the body. "Hello," she said forlornly. "Have... have you seen a--" She stopped. "Nevermind."

She watched the sun, and looked on hopefully. Maybe there was somewhere safe, where it didn't reek of blood and death. She took her father's helmet off his head, and then turned to the man who stood behind her, head down. Today was just not her day...

Cerulean thought it best to not ask her questions. It was a hard day for all.

"Here, I can take to someplace safe. This is no place for anyone, right now." He says beckoning the girl. Cerulean then turns his head and squeezes. Blood starts to slowly starts to come out his nose. He lifts his head up and walks.

"What happened here? Is it really all that bad? Did no one escape at all?" She stopped herself. The question boiled into her throat again, until she couldn't contain herself. She had to know if her best friend, and protector, had died. "Please, tell me you saw a jester?"

If anything had happened to him, she would seek revenge like none other. Her hatred already burned deep on whoever had caused all this. The fact that Nexus hadn't told her a single thing about it welled up anger for him too, though on a way less degree.

He stopped and turned back around. Trying to make the new connection in his head, he looked down for a moment. Signing the lips started to move.

"Very few of us still walk this plane. I could probably count the our survivors on my fingers and toes. Some of which I could count, others being the lucky ones. Fortunately, I believe the jest you seek is alive. " Cerulean murmured.

He wondered if Nexus had known the captain had a daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.