Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Adaptable
Genres
Fantasy, Sci-fi, Modern Fantasy
latest

Background

In the year 2035, modern society is completely reliant upon the internet. From cars, to buildings, to even ovens, everything is connected to the web in some form. The programming and code required to maintain or even navigate such an expansive and convoluted network has become so complicated that the average person is completely incapable of comprehending it on their own. And so, artificial intelligences known as Net Navigators, or NetNavis for short, were created to help the masses navigate the vast flow of data that was the internet.

NetNavis

Able to be stored in cell phones, PDAs, and the specially designed PET personal terminal, a Navi is responsible for helping its operator search, use, and surf the internet, as well as conduct general maintenance through virus deletion. Just as the internet has expanded and evolved into what was practically a virtual world, computer viruses have evolved as well, becoming dangerous and commonplace manifestations capable of causing severe damage to computer systems. Most Navis possesses antiviral weapon programs built in, but can also be sent much more powerful weapon programs via the use of Battle Chip cartridges by their operators. While frowned upon in public areas of the Net outside of specially sanctioned arenas, Navis and operators often engage in Netbattles against other duos in order to hone their virus busting skills.

Standardized NetNavis are available on the mass market for reasonable prices, but offer little in the way of power or customization out of the box. For the discerning web user, custom Navis are available for commission at an increased price from many retailers, and those truly skilled in programming are able to code and create their own Navi to their ideal specifications. Advances in AI technology have bestowed the current generation of Navis with near-human sentience and emotions, and the prevailing sentiment is that modern NetNavis are equal to humans in terms of cognitive thought and socialization.

Crime

With society's increased reliance on the internet, crime has also shifted its focus online as well. From the Mafia to the Yakuza, the traditional criminal syndicates have modernized to cybercrime, and hackers of old have also adapted well to the era of the NetNavi. Most cybercrimes are committed through brute-force virus attacks or with the criminal's Navi themselves. Just as NetNavis are modern society's best defense against viruses, Navis are also the most effect tools of system intrusion and hacking.

The Setting

Despite the modern cyberworld having its origins in Japan and Tadashi Hikari's research with Albert Wily, major cities around the world such as New York and London have adapted well, modernizing their technology to keep up with net society. However, twenty years ago, the Cyber City project was established between the United States and Canada to create a modernized metropolis capable of competing with Japan on the technology forefront with the resources and researchers of both nations. Set on the border between Washington state and British Colombia, Cyber City serves to further connect the Seattle and Vancouver metropolitan areas, creating a massive tri-city network fully integrated into the latest cyberworld systems.

Today...

Of late, there has been a surge of net-related crime in Cyber City, spreading out to the greater Seattle and Vancouver areas as well. Systems hacked, appliances sabotaged, and even banking networks have been broken into, resulting in several million dollars in losses. Even more concerning is that the usual suspects of organized crime families and hacker groups have not been responsible for the incidents, having taken their own losses as well. Over the last six months, the Triads, the Russian mafia, and multiple independent hacker groups have all been edged out, having ceded territory in the Cyberworld and on the Undernet below it. All evidence points to a competitor rising in the Cyber City underworld, but who?

______

As you can see, seeking interest for a MMBN-based RP. Using a real world setting because I still think countries with Net-prefixes in their names is weird as hell, but most of the series backstory established in Battle Network 3 can be applied to this RP. The actual events of the games/anime/manga don't happen, but I'll be cribbing stuff from all three for setting flavor.

Also, considering how hard it is to find actual fanart of original Navis, I'll be allowing a variety of choices for what Navi you choose for your operator. Canon Navis are allowed, with some notable exceptions. In addition, designs from Star Force, X, Zero, and the rest of the series are allowed as Navi concepts if you can't find good art of an original Navi or if your concept was already used somewhere in the series. No canon humans, though.

I'll be looking for 4-6 players, ideally. Looking forward to seeing if anyone is interested in this.

Sign me up, I love MMBN.
Will you be including anything from the later 3 games?

Well, Darkchips will be a thing. There's not many lore tidbits in 4-6 considering BN3 already covered the whole origin story of the series. Also not touching stuff like Duo, Soulnet, or Nebula Gray. We'll see about Cybeasts.

• Thank You
Reactions: Blighted_Agent
Well, considering I've only had two people comment on this now, it's a pretty hard no go.

Hey just seen your post if your looking for more I'm would like to sign up