Medieval Weapon of Choice

Not to mention a scythe is super unvieldy. Anyone who ever used one would know this. Terrible weapons.
My buddy's cottage has a scythe and I decided to see how well it performs in its intended function, which in this case was threshing long grass.

Maybe I should have sharpened it, but it got rather tiring without much progress and was rather uncomfortable to use. The Grim Reaper really needs a new tool to harvest souls, like a sickle or something.

th

mine's bigger

and its a lightsaber!

My weapon of choice would be: Bow and Arrow, A dagger and a small bag of powder (3 pounds maybe).

Reasons: I have archery training which allows me to use the bow better than any other weapon, I also know the basics of dagger wielding, finally we must take count of the tactical ability of the participants. (Guns doesn't win wars, tactics do)

Against the archer, I would charge an arrow with a bit powder, if I made it to hit something made of metal close to my enemy, the powder would ignite doing some area damage.

Against the swordsman, I think it's obvious that I would shoot him an arrow ^^;

Against the knight, I would use the same strategy as the archer, but in this case I would shoot directly to my enemy

My weapon of choice would be: Bow and Arrow, A dagger and a small bag of powder (3 pounds maybe).
Reasons: I have archery training which allows me to use the bow better than any other weapon, I also know the basics of dagger wielding, finally we must take count of the tactical ability of the participants. (Guns doesn't win wars, tactics do)
Against the archer, I would charge an arrow with a bit powder, if I made it to hit something made of metal close to my enemy, the powder would ignite doing some area damage.
Against the swordsman, I think it's obvious that I would shoot him an arrow ^^;
Against the knight, I would use the same strategy as the archer, but in this case I would shoot directly to my enemy
I've been thinking of buying a bow recently. Any recommendations for a novice for what to look for?

I've been thinking of buying a bow recently. Any recommendations for a novice for what to look for?
It depends, if you are actually thinking about taking classes better first go with your teacher and ask for advice, I have more than 3 months in archery and still without my own bow.

I imagine that here in my country isn't the same as in [insert your location here], but here they give us a bow made of PVC for the first two weeks, just to teach the basics; you could start with that looking for courses in youtube or google (You won't believe what you can actually learn here).

In the end it all depends if you are thinking about getting a formal education.

Considering Spartans primarily used their spears over their swords and how they were a feared military power in their hay day, you might be wise to not underestimate what a man with a polearm can do. Keep in mind, it's not just the spearhead that's dangerous; you can use the length of a spear as a makeshift quarterstaff and I promise you're not going to have a super easy time knocking a spear out of the way for a kill when the enemy is quite eager to keep it trained on you. You knock it aside, he pulls back and thrusts at you, prompting you to react or get a foot of steel in the guts.

The main advantage of these longer reaching weapons, is that rarely is your body in any danger. Most of the combat is kept just out of arm's reach, leaving you free to use any strategy you choose. The main disadvantage of a polearm, spear, or other long weapons are that when people close the gap, and get past the head, you no longer have the ability to re-position the spear to strike in a manner that would wound your foe.

Against a swordman with a shield, you will be disadvantaged individually; he will not have much to fear of your harassment, and will simply be able to bide his time and let you wear yourself out. In a formation, especially phalanx formations that Spartan Hoplites used, it was exponentially harder to get past the tips of spears; this is where most of their success lay. A pole-axe may have the advantage in that you could hook your opponent, but that isn't going to protect you if they're already lunging at your ribs, which is often the goal of someone that's gotten close to you.

With a large shield, you have to use a smaller spear in a single hand, cutting some of your ability to re-direct the weapon, as well as some of your reach. The more effective the shield, the less effective your spear. Taking this sort of set-up would leave you disadvantages against your other foes; inversely, with larger pole-weapons, you would be more vulnerable to projectiles from the archer; if you could use a shield at all, it would have to be much smaller, leaving you disadvantaged against the knight.

My choice would be a flanged mace with a spike at the tip of the shaft, a ball-ended morning star, or a goedendag and a heavier steel shield, and a good suit of armor. If I had to pick any secondary weapons, it would be as many Greek Fire hand grenades as my belt could carry.

The shield would prove excellent at repelling the archer's shots, allowing me to advance without too much fear of serious injury, perhaps a few bruises. Even if he came with a crossbow, a sturdy steel shield, particularly rounded ones, would prove extremely valuable against him. If the bolt could penetrate the shield, as if the crossbow was fired point blank, it would still be stopped by heavy armor. Eventually, I would catch him or he would break or lose all of his bolts/arrows. In close quarters, with only his light weapons remaining, he would be doomed.

In individual combat, a heavier weapon, like a mace or hammer and a shield can be used to deflect or parry a spear, since they are not often held in a manner that prevents them from being glanced aside. All you would need to do then, is get past the tip and strike with enough force - even without solid blows- to break an arm, rib, or leg, incapacitating the wielder of the spear. Even if they took a large, wooden shield, the superior material of the mace, as well as it's weight, would still deliver enough force through the material to break bones.

Against the knight, you could break a leg of the horse, using it's own momentum against it, and remove his advantage of height. The horse cannot protect itself; you would not need to worry about an accurate attack against it, only protecting yourself; maces and morning stars often do significant damage no matter how they strike. They were used with great success by peasants throughout history to kill mounted knights, like in the Franco-Flemish War.

Against the swordsman? Any of my three choices of mace would have an advantage against him. I could cause him harm in a greater number of ways than he could cause me.

In all circumstances, setting whoever I'd be engaged in combat with on fire would be cruel, although devastating. Lighter armored foes would go up in flame pretty quickly if hit, or would be forced to back off and go on defense immediately; heavier armored foes who have a harder time dodging would suffer serious burns from the heat, inhibiting their ability to fight.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
A horse, shield, bow, lance and short sword.

The shield and short sword for the Archer and Spearman, the lance and horse for the swordsman and the bow and horse for the enemy knight. Probably opting for light armor so I can outpace the opponents.

I'm going to be realistic and say that not matter what I use, I'll probably die.

With that being said, give me a mace and five grenades of Greek fire. Bludgeon, piercing and slashing combined. Top heavy, so more force gathering in a swing through inertia. Should be able to take care of armor, and dismantle a shield if aimed where the protective gear is residing directly over the arm and hand. No skill really needed to use a mace, except for being strong enough to not let it slip from your hands while swinging.

As for the grenade, it'll just burn anyone. Including those in armor; they'll be cooked inside their suits like meat in a roasting pan covered with tin foil.