Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Medieval, Modern Fantasy, Romance, Yaoi, Post Apocalyptic, Apocalypse, Magical, Horror.
So i had this idea running through my head for a couple of days now and was wondering if anyone would be interested in this idea and maybe help build on it. I think this idea will fit better into a Medieval fantasy setting, but it might be fun to try to make it fit into a Modern fantasy setting.

Say there was this big war or epidemic that nearly wiped out the human race and the only way to save them was to make a pact with dragons, in this world dragons are a plenty and has become the focus of most society. When a human is born a Dragon Elder is always present with either an unhatched dragon baby or a dragon hatchling so that the pact can be made. This is the only way that humans were able to survive as the pact would infuse the human child with the dragon's heart magic protecting it from the disease that would surely kill them.

This could go one of two ways, the plot could follow the disease route and say that disease was never beaten and this in fact is the only way a human will live in the world. Or the disease had finally died off, but the dragon pacts would still remain either as a preventative measure to make sure the disease stayed gone or it just became so much of a norm that humans and dragons continued to make pacts.

Not all dragons are pacted with a human of course, but a lot of them would be and so if the dragon died the human would pass as well if we followed the continued disease route. If the human passed then the dragon would live on and most are not likely to make another pact again.

Reactions: Gladis
The idea is pretty cool, but what's the plot like? Like what'd be the problem our characters are trying to resolve or escape from?

Okay so I like the general concept you're going for, but can I make a couple of suggestions? Obviously, since they're only suggestions, what you take and what you leave is completely up too you. ^^

1) Instead of it being an epidemic that united humans and dragons, what if it was war? I know you kind of suggested it, but you only ever elaborated on the epidemic option. XD

Let's say that for centuries, humans and dragons had been at odds. Humans would hunt the dragons for the magic properties of their scales, teeth, blood, and bones etc. and as a result, dragons would frequently destroy human settlements. This conflict would eventually escalate to a full-scale war between the two species. The dragons may have been stronger, but they were fewer in number. Meanwhile, humans could not only reproduce at a faster rate, but they are crafty in nature and could, without a doubt, hold their own against their scaly adversaries. It was a conflict that claimed countless lives on either side and had it been allowed to pertain, may very well have driven both species to extinction.

That's where [insert name of in-universe-historical hero here] comes in. With no end to the conflict in sight, he/she decides to take things into their own hands. They solve the age-old conflict, not by defeating the other side, but by negotiating a peace treaty between humans and dragons. It is from this peace treaty that the human/dragon pact is born.

2) It is decided that every year x number of humans are chosen by dragon elders/some Oracle/a nationwide lottery/entrance exams -- whatever fits your narrative the best, to bond with a dragon. The primary purpose of these dragon-riding warriors is to ensure that the peace between humans and dragons is maintained, and I could see them functioning as a kind of special police force, going on missions all across the realm. Of course, no human (or dragon) is born ready for this kind of work, so I figure they would train at some kind of academy (which would be an absolutely stellar setting for an RP, depending on what age range you're going for). If not an academy, then perhaps some kind of isolated monastery deal could work just as well.

3) If the chosen humans and dragons bond at birth or later in life is completely up to you. There's plenty of pros and cons to both options. On the one hand, if they bonded at birth their dragon would be their lifelong friend which could make for some really great dynamics between the dragons and their human counterparts. On the other hand, having the humans and dragons bond later in life could open up a lot more possibilities in terms of plot and character development. Especially if the bond is something that has to be earned, instead of it simply being given to you because of your birthright.

4) I do like the idea of a human and dragon bonding for life. However, I don't think their deaths should be linked. Even if the dragon dies, the human lives on and vice versa. That said, since they're soul bound to their human/dragon partners, I imagine losing them would kind of be like losing a part of yourself. Neither dragon nor human would do particularly well without their second half. It opens up possibilities for some pretty good angst, and also an awesome villain origins story. ;D You will need villains if you plan on keeping the RP alive.

5) Everything I just suggested would work SUPER well with a modern fantasy setting. Obviously, the world would either have to be based on alternate history or be completely fictional (I'd go for the latter), but I don't see why humans shouldn't be as advanced as we are, technology-wise. Especially since the vast majority of the human population isn't bonded with dragons (which may take away incentives for some aspects of technological advancement). Oh yeah, and if the RP is set several hundred years after the peace treaty was made (which is what I was thinking)... well... human society will have had plenty of time to evolve. o 3 o

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text. ^^' I hope I was able to give you some ideas, at least!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: junebug