Mass Effect: Defiance

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a different note, I'm not sure what to post as Thanik. I'm thinking about a few husks and some Cannibals attacking and he is trying to hold them off, waiting for the Salarian and the Krogan.
that could work, but I'll bug Grif and see where he's at with his post. Blake raised him on the radio, so there's character interaction there. Heck, the two of you can arrange to have your characters meet the next post or two. We don't have to have dozens of posts just to get some characters interacting, I'm all for people getting to the meat and potatoes!

Blake's radio is fecked. ^.^ He's on his way to Thanik's location, though. I was going to wait for Jaakbal and Kiraiah to get there (or at least get closer) before I have Blake arrive at the mall so I'm just waiting on you guys to post really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have finish with the error :p

But, sadly, I am back at school. Which means that I will be gone from most of the day until 3:00PM PST.

Name: Alexandria "Alex" or "Xan" DeCroix

Species: Human

Sex: Female

Appearance: Alex stands at nearly five feet ten inches. She has an athletic shape with a smaller waist and wider shoulders. Her arm length allows her wrists to rest just below her waistline. Her torso is long and defined while her legs are similarly toned and long. Her face is heart shaped with a sharp chin and jawline. She is tanned, as she has spent a lot of time groundside. Her eyes are hazel and her black hair has been closely cropped with the sides shaved close.

Class: Combat Vanguard

Military Occupation: 1st Lieutenant, N7 graduate, Vanguard from the 103rd Marine Division.

Background:
Alex was born in New Canton, a frontier colony in the Terminus Systems, was born to Michael and Katarina DeCroix. She, like all biotic humans, was exposed to element zero while in the womb. Her parents, her father a simple miner and mother a homemaker, preferred a quiet life. As such, they feared her biotic inclinations due to the unpredictable nature of the powers; despite that, they still loved their daughter, even if they barely understood what was happening to her.

As she grew up, Alex showed little control over her biotics, and was ostracized for it. It was these powers that broke up her family, as her father couldn't find work and blamed his wife for birthing Alex. He soon left on a transport to Earth, and left them to fend for themselves. Her mother, despondent but determined to provide a decent life for her child, urged her child to throw her anger into her schoolwork.

To spite the deadbeat and the other colonists, Alex followed her mother's advice. Before her thirteenth birthday, Alex's mother sent her to the Academy of New Canton, a specialized school for gifted students, so she could learn more about her biotics. For five years, she studied physics, linguistics and alien languages alongside her biotics. During this time, she became more socialized and managed to develop a rather assertive and competitive personality.

After years of developing her biotic powers, she graduated from ANC and enrolled into a college on Earth. Alex applied to, interviewed for, and then joined the Officer's Training Corps for the Alliance. Upon graduation, she started her service years right away as a Second Lieutenant Marine.

Her first year was spent on patrol in the back ass of nowhere. Days were spent lounging around while the nights were spent doing nothing. That is how deserted the listening post was. Alex was no better, as her rigid habits had relaxed while in college. When Batarian Raiders attacked the post, she and her squad were caught off guard. Half of the patrol of nearly six squads were killed in the first wave, but her CO, Captain Kent Hargitey managed to position the remainder of his men into fairly defensible spots. The post's XO, an old college friend of Alex's, disagreed and argued that they'd be overran or starved out. It didn't matter though, as a sniper took out the XO within a few seconds of the argument. Splashed with the blood of her best friend, Alex went murderous. With her L-2 implants, Alex was a raging storm of biotics. She moved constantly, a whirling dervish of rage and anguish. Her squadmates supported their Vanguard, with a few managing to set up enemies for detonation or just outright killing them if Alex didn't. Once the battle was over, Alex stood in the middle of a mess of bodies, a few Soldier classed Marines stood on her flanks with an Engineer a few meters away with a sniper rifle. Hours later, a relief team was sent to evacuate and resupply the listening post. Alex and the team were given a commendation for holding the listening post, though she never forgave herself from vacating her position as XO.

Alex continued on doing similar posts: guard duty, front line fighting against pockets of pirates, and spent a good six months in a joint task force with an asari commando squad. In her fourth year, the newly promoted First Lieutenant was given a chance to train in the Interplanetary Combatives Training Academy. The young Marine jumped at the chance, and spent 3 years training (first in Rio de Janeiro, then at various planetary combat zones involving Geth or Collectors, and a few space stations). The day she received her N7 commendation, the Reapers conquered Earth. She was sent to Tyr in the Asgard System to assist in protecting the mines and other facilities. They were being beaten back, but a second detachment of Marines were sent to bolster her own in good time. After they did, a long battle commenced, and the humans had to retreat. The loss stung badly, as she had to watch a lot of good people die...then had to kill them again as Husks.

She grudgingly respects the Reapers and their tactics. Their grotesque visages disgusts and their uncaring, mindless need for destruction and death horrifies her whenever she has to fight them; but she has learned how to use that to bolster her own strength and resolve to live. Her new assignment is to Nevos as a part of the 103rd Marine Division.

Personality:
She is a loyal young woman that funnels her despair into action. The N7 program has reinforced that a clear mind will heighten the chance of her getting out of sticky situations alive. However controlled though, she is very aggressive on and off the battlefield, and will channel that energy into almost any constructive avenue she can think of. This leads to a common misconception that she is very diligent with her paperwork (which she hates...the only thing she hates more than paperwork is boredom, though). She is very protective of her issued M-7 Lancer, and is constantly servicing and cleaning it. She isn't bothered by her rank/age relation, as she understood her rank would be suspended until she either failed or graduated from the N7 program. However, she suffers from phantom pains from her time as an L-2, as well as night terrors from her time on Tyr. She is still adjusting to her L5n implants.

She is very wary of Salarians and Geth, but doesn't mind Krogan and Asari. She has not met a quarian but she respects the Turians a great deal. It is debatable that she chose to train with the M-8 Avenger (and later the M-7 Lancer) in respect to the Turians: the weapon's predecessor was strong and powerful enough to face and defeat the greatest military in the galaxy at the time. What higher honor was there due to a weapon?

Equipment:
Armor: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/N7_Armor?file=ME3_N7_Armor.png
Helmet: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/File:ME3_mnemonic_visor.png
Omni-Tool: Logic Arrest Tool
Bio-Amp: Prodigy

Weapons:
M-7 Lancer: Stability Dampener, Magazine Upgrade
M-8 Avenger (If Lancer is unavailable for some reason and an Avenger is near)

Powers:
Biotic Charge
Reave
Fitness
Nova
Warp

Talents:
Assault Rifle
Assault Mastery
First Aid
Tactical Armor

Other:

-Food Consumption to her activity level, Alex can consume up to 5500 kcal worth of food if she fights.

-Assault Rifle: Alex has trained with assault rifles since she first entered college. She continues to use the Lancer or Avenger rather than conventional Vanguard weaponry.

-Music Lover: She loves a variety of music, and is often listening to it on her omni-tool.

-Video Game Enthusiast: Most of her non-dedicated memory in her omni-tool is taken up by video games. Her most recent download: An MMO.

-Workout Enthusiast: Alex enjoys sparring in a training area or being in the gun/biotic range.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will review your sheet in a little while, Aeron! Also, I'll go check yours again, Rare, but I think it looked fine when I checked it over last time. Bare with me! I got some other stuff to catch up with, aided by my new Assassin's Creed hoodie.

I will review your sheet in a little while, Aeron! Also, I'll go check yours again, Rare, but I think it looked fine when I checked it over last time. Bare with me! I got some other stuff to catch up with, aided by my new Assassin's Creed hoodie.
thanks!

Review time, the gritty reboot that doesn't acknowledge the previous reviews!

Although great grandfather is going back a while, it's still not anywhere near the ~1480 years since the end of the krogan rebellions. You should probably just mention Druslius had an ancestor who was decorated in the Krogan Rebellions and be done with it. Turians have a comparable lifespan to humans, I believe.

Also, as I think I mentioned before, Druslius would have been conscripted when he was 15, no ifs and or buts. It's not like humans where 18 is the voluntary service age. Turians all do mandatory public/ military service between 15 to 30 years of age. As long as he's leaving the military after he's 30, all is good that way! The rest of the background's good! Thanks for taking all those changes as a champ, it's MUCH more canon friendly now.

One thing I noticed is that you have a Mantis sniper rifle as his primary weapon, and no Sniper Rifle training as a talent, but you have Shotgun training as a talent and no shotgun. I think you might have had a bit of a mix-up with that. :P

Other than that, looks great! Accepted!

Sorry, New Canton gave me a nostalgia tick. >_>

Right off the bat, props for having a rather believable situation regarding Alex's parents. Some people freak out if their kid has mental disabilities or chronic health issues; I can't imagine what it would be like finding out your kid basically has super powers. I just wanted to point out that I quite enjoy that bit of history in the back story!

First issue I noticed was that the timing doesn't work out for Alex to attend Jon Grissom Academy when she turns 13 because the academy was founded in 2176, and she'd be 13 in 2171 (the calculator app on my computer's been getting a work out since I started this game...), so there's kind of a gap between the Ascention Project at Jon Grissom and the Biotic Acclimation and Temperance Training program Kaiden was a part of, which was shuttered in the late 2160s. You may want to make up a small private school or something that was run by New Canton's government, or something similar for this section.

A quick note about the military rank thing is chances are, if she's a 2nd Lieutenant, she'd be the one commanding the squad, as captains tend to be more company commanders than fire team leaders. Basically, lieutenants are getting their experience commanding men at the lowest level with sergeants/ petty officers or (sometimes) warrant officers as their XOs, as they have the years of experience the junior officer doesn't and the sergeant acts as something of a mentor that differs to the lieutenant's orders while dispensing invaluable advice and managing the soldiers on a more personal level. Chances are, she'd be leading a platoon, which is made up of 3-4 squads of 8-10 marines (approximately, I'm flexible since I don't know how the Alliance rolls).

I don't know when exactly you had planned for all this stuff to happen, but this caught my eye, "Alex continued on doing similar posts: guard duty, front line fighting against pockets of geth or pirates, ". The geth didn't show up until the attack on the Citadel in 2183CE, which is when ME1 took place. Since this game takes place in 2186CE, that kind of conflicts with the 7 years specified (4 years in service starting at an unspecified date and another 3 years training to become an N7 operative). I'm guessing she started N7 training after the attack on the Citadel? That seems to be what you were getting at. I just want to make sure I'm on the same page!

Outside of a couple timeline and minor military discrepancies, I like it a lot! I'll throw you in the accepted list, just make sure to shore up what I mentioned. Welcome to the game! I have a feeling Alex and Jakbaal are going to get along just peaaachy.

Frenziedace hasn't posted in this thread since December 17th, but has been active in other threads on Iwaku including today's date. As such, Corey Gerrard is removed from the roster and Ace is out of the game due to an evident lack of interest.

Updated the Questions portion of the OOC!

Although great grandfather is going back a while, it's still not anywhere near the ~1480 years since the end of the krogan rebellions. You should probably just mention Druslius had an ancestor who was decorated in the Krogan Rebellions and be done with it. Turians have a comparable lifespan to humans, I believe.

Also, as I think I mentioned before, Druslius would have been conscripted when he was 15, no ifs and or buts. It's not like humans where 18 is the voluntary service age. Turians all do mandatory public/ military service between 15 to 30 years of age. As long as he's leaving the military after he's 30, all is good that way! The rest of the background's good! Thanks for taking all those changes as a champ, it's MUCH more canon friendly now.

One thing I noticed is that you have a Mantis sniper rifle as his primary weapon, and no Sniper Rifle training as a talent, but you have Shotgun training as a talent and no shotgun. I think you might have had a bit of a mix-up with that. :P

Right off the bat, props for having a rather believable situation regarding Alex's parents. Some people freak out if their kid has mental disabilities or chronic health issues; I can't imagine what it would be like finding out your kid basically has super powers. I just wanted to point out that I quite enjoy that bit of history in the back story!

First issue I noticed was that the timing doesn't work out for Alex to attend Jon Grissom Academy when she turns 13 because the academy was founded in 2176, and she'd be 13 in 2171 (the calculator app on my computer's been getting a work out since I started this game...), so there's kind of a gap between the Ascention Project at Jon Grissom and the Biotic Acclimation and Temperance Training program Kaiden was a part of, which was shuttered in the late 2160s. You may want to make up a small private school or something that was run by New Canton's government, or something similar for this section.

A quick note about the military rank thing is chances are, if she's a 2nd Lieutenant, she'd be the one commanding the squad, as captains tend to be more company commanders than fire team leaders. Basically, lieutenants are getting their experience commanding men at the lowest level with sergeants/ petty officers or (sometimes) warrant officers as their XOs, as they have the years of experience the junior officer doesn't and the sergeant acts as something of a mentor that differs to the lieutenant's orders while dispensing invaluable advice and managing the soldiers on a more personal level. Chances are, she'd be leading a platoon, which is made up of 3-4 squads of 8-10 marines (approximately, I'm flexible since I don't know how the Alliance rolls).

I don't know when exactly you had planned for all this stuff to happen, but this caught my eye, "Alex continued on doing similar posts: guard duty, front line fighting against pockets of geth or pirates, ". The geth didn't show up until the attack on the Citadel in 2183CE, which is when ME1 took place. Since this game takes place in 2186CE, that kind of conflicts with the 7 years specified (4 years in service starting at an unspecified date and another 3 years training to become an N7 operative). I'm guessing she started N7 training after the attack on the Citadel? That seems to be what you were getting at. I just want to make sure I'm on the same page!

Outside of a couple timeline and minor military discrepancies, I like it a lot! I'll throw you in the accepted list, just make sure to shore up what I mentioned. Welcome to the game! I have a feeling Alex and Jakbaal are going to get along just peaaachy.

Haha, thanks for points out that stuff. I'll get right on that and change a few things here and there. I'd forgotten that I made her older than originally (she was going to be younger).

As for her N7 commendation, The Battle of the Citadel took place before it. She is a fresh N7. As for her lieutenancy, she SHOULD have been leading. But, she was still just a kid. A kid that could shoot very well...and had super powers, but still a young adult. Up to that point, she didn't really have combat experience, as she was fresh out of college. So I could see her saying "I know I'm supposed to be in charge, but he knows better. So...do what he says, that's an order." it wasn't until after a lot of people died that she understood why SHE was supposed to be in charge. Those deaths were on her hands, and she knew that after she led the charge. She learned what it meant to truly be a vanguard.

Frenziedace hasn't posted in this thread since December 17th, but has been active in other threads on Iwaku including today's date. As such, Corey Gerrard is removed from the roster and Ace is out of the game due to an evident lack of interest.

All fixed, I think.

I thought that I have those fixed. But, they are fixed now. I will try to get a post up.

Apologies, I should've said something about dropping out of the RP. Good luck with it though!

I have posted from the first time, I am such that it looks good. I think that it is a bit too long but, you might get a good idea of what's happening. I hope.

I have posted from the first time, I am such that it looks good. I think that it is a bit too long but, you might get a good idea of what's happening. I hope.

Never too long!

I'd have to disagree there--it's possible to have too much fluff or make too much happen in one post, and even if you're not interacting with another character I'd rather not have to read a novel.

That post is a pretty good length for an intro, though.

Trust me on this, if you end up writing too much, people start to lose interest or get lost. I doubt any of you guys have to worry about that, but let's just say I've been in a game where 17,000 word collabs were pretty much the norm and it becomes something that makes you want to crack your skull off the wall to make it stop after a while.

Oh, and a request for anyone using coloured fonts, try to keep it just to your player character. Reason being is if you assign a colour to every NPC you make, you're risking denying another player a colour of his or her preference.

Orange for the civilian NPC's I control (Now)

Sky Blue for my characters dialogue

Alright, that sounds fair, dark red is my character's color. While dark orange is the NPC's color.

I'd generally prefer NPCs not be colour coded. They aren't supposed to be major player controlled characters, but I'll roll with it. I mainly don't want to see a rainbow for everyone who opens their mouth, especially if they're going to die in foce minutes.

I like to color dialouge, because I know some people skim over shit and look just for dialogue (Im guilty at times) so I color it so it stands out

Status
Not open for further replies.