Mass Effect: Defiance

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might not have much time for that initially; the premise is all of the characters are sole survivors or separated from their units and are forced to make a makeshift squad ro survive and complete their new missions. If this goes on long enough, he can certainly make contact with his unit again, but to start I kind of want everybody to focus on building character relations with other PCs instead of mudding things with a bunch of NPCs until we all find our groove. Things will open up down the road, but let's keep the focus tight until we're all solid and found our stride.
Fine enough. I am still working on the character so It will be a bit until it's done.

If I find time to kill, I'll definitely come over here to make a character! I've always been drawn to the Geth, so I'll likely create either a soldier or engineer one. This looks absolutely gorgeous, I must say :P

Fine enough. I am still working on the character so It will be a bit until it's done.
No rush! Most people are still working away at it regardless. :D

If I find time to kill, I'll definitely come over here to make a character! I've always been drawn to the Geth, so I'll likely create either a soldier or engineer one. This looks absolutely gorgeous, I must say :P
Excellent! Always good to see a new face! And thank you very kindly, I hope you stay a while. Let me tell you, formatting can be a nightmare but the payoff looks presentable.

drell_warrior_by_chermilla-d4spnfu.jpg

Name: Egon Kesharr

Species: Drell

Sex: Male

Appearance: Egon maintains a small and lean frame. He stands a few inches shorter than the average man with small shoulders. A thin scar runs from the middle of his right cheek across the bridge of his nose and cuts into his left brow. Besides this, Egon maintains a relatively inconspicuous appearance, favouring dark clothes and armour, and hoods.

Class: Soldier - Commando

Background:
The Kesharr family segmented long before Egon came into being. As youths Kira and Juin Kesharr grew close to two Hanar. When each Hanar extended offers to join in a Compact, the boys saw two paths before them. One would be led by a peaceful and devout spirit impassioned by spreading the tales of the Enkindlers. The other would see them hardened into experts in the killing arts. Juin chose a life dedicated to reverent Hanar. Kira, chose otherwise.

In the coming decades the brothers grew evermore distant. Egon was born into a family dedicated to putting the Enkindler mythos to writing as true to the Hanar as possible. Before long, Egon too was given the choice to take on this work. Only then, after years of silence, did Kira return. Young Egon felt drawn to his new-found uncle despite his father's clear disdain. Only after Juin had enough of his brother, did Kira reveal his intentions. He revealed himself an assassin and, more surprisingly, a messenger on behalf of his Master. Like his father and uncle before him, Egon stood before two paths -- that which he knew, and that of mystery.

Egon left with his Uncle Kira despite the concerns of his parents. Upon meeting his Master, the young Drell found himself thrown into an intensive regimen of brutal training and 'faux' combat. They called it practice, but the bruises and pain felt like the real deal. Under the tutelage of uncle, he learned to play to his strengths. Killing neither required great size nor brute strength, just a keen eye and precision. Stealth, speed, and precision became his primary tools to survive. All too soon young Egon found himself behind a scoped rifle and his very first target -- not practice, but a test that could cost his very life. Sitting there, he felt clarity. He watched, waited, and with greater ease than he'd expected, fired.

Years of further training passed before Egon became a trusted apprentice to his Uncle Kira. Through Kira, the youth learned the finer points of the trade that only decades of experience could offer. He grew more comfortable, more deadly, and their Master more pleased with the progress. In 2182, the Kesharr assassins began operating separately. This marked the beginning of Egon's service to his Master, independently, and a chance to prove his worth. The training served him well. Egon maintained contact with his uncle too, sharing his experiences along the way. Barely two years later the messages stopped coming. According to his Master, Kira had been tasked with a target on a human colony when the population simply vanished. When the mad ravings about 'Reapers' and 'Collectors' began to hold water, the Master Hanar found a new target. Egon now finds himself on Nevos alongside other Drell assassins to aid in the effort.

Personality: Living with his uncle taught Egon express raw emotion with direct action. Sarcasm and passive aggressiveness is little more than wasted time. As his Kira would say, hiding oneself is for killing, not communicating. Naturally, Egon finds himself attached to those he works alongside. Not only does this remind him of operating with his uncle, but the action of combat feels as if a deeper language. This respect-with-experience way of thinking creates a deep loyalty for his comrades and an empathy beyond the borders of species.

Blasto: The First Hanar Spectre is hauntingly entertaining to the young drell.

Equipment:
M-99 Saber DMR with Scope
M-5 Phalanx Heavy Pistol
Light Armour
Short Omni Blade

Powers:
  • Adrenaline Rush​
  • Incendiary Ammo​
  • Assassination​
  • Marksman​

Talents:
  • Fitness​
  • Assault Training​
  • Stealth​
  • Sniper Rifle​
  • First Aid​

Other:​
  • Great thinker in the Kitchen​
  • Bad Cook​
  • Deeply enjoys Wine​

Last edited:
Quick note about the weapons, a lot of the list is restricted until it's encountered in-game.

The Mattock, for instance, is a Cerberus-only weapon until after you encounter them and can salvage one from the battlefield. Likewise, the M-11 is quite rare, so you'd have to pick it up when it's encountered. Main reason I wrote out the weapons in separate categories was to limit people's starting choices to A) encourage more of a focus on the character rather than their gear, and B) so there's a level of progression.

The common weapon section tap has each of the starting weapons listed, and if your character if of a race that produces their own unique firearms, then those are available as starters.

Sorry for the confusion! Sorry if it seems restricting, I thought it would be kind of fun and it puts less emphasis on the equipment while subtly showing that since supply lines are limited, the equipment is likewise. It's like in a Skyrim RP when somebody's submitting a sheet with full Daedric armour or whatever because they know it's the best in the game, kinda robs the immersion of the world.

Sure! I'll have a look this weekend. I still need to make up a banner.

Actually, if any of you fine gents had any ability in that department, I would be grateful!

Sure! I'll have a look this weekend. I still need to make up a banner.

Actually, if any of you fine gents had any ability in that department, I would be grateful!
If no one else steps up, let me know. My day job is in marketing and I do my fair-share of graphic design, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Any preferences? If you say none, it's going to be Shay Cormac caressing Male-Shep's Renegade scarred chin with yoghurt. Lots and lots of yoghurt...

Reactions: Dervish
If no one else steps up, let me know. My day job is in marketing and I do my fair-share of graphic design, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Any preferences? If you say none, it's going to be Shay Cormac caressing Male-Shep's Renegade scarred chin with yoghurt. Lots and lots of yoghurt...

Shae Fucking Patrick Cormac meets Shepard after finding a First Civilization Artifact that sends the Morrigan flying through time and space and he decides to ram the Normandy, thinking its white hull means the crew is space assassins. Whacky shenanigans ensue.

Coming soon to a DLC near you.

Also, thanks! All I'm looking for is a clean, eye catching title card with the title in it that I can use for a cover image in the OOC as well. If you have time and want to take that on, I would be grateful!

Oh yeah, if anyone knows anyone on Iwaku who would enjoy a lengthy Mass Effect romp, feel free to send them here. I promise that I will give it a damn good try to make this one of the few RPs that will eventually reach its conclusion!

Reactions: Valentyne
I'll have a character up sometime this weekend, the Mass Effect trilogy are my favorite games and I've been itching for a good RP set in the universe!

I could give it a shot. I have GIMP and use it to make banners from my 1x1 on the guild.

I could give it a shot. I have GIMP and use it to make banners from my 1x1 on the guild.
I won't get in your way, Rare. I offered if no one else did. Go right ahead mate!

@Dervish when I first played ME1 I chose my armour based on what looked the most 'assassin'. It's an easy mistake to make!

I'll have a character up sometime this weekend, the Mass Effect trilogy are my favorite games and I've been itching for a good RP set in the universe!
Great! I look forward to seeing what you cook up!

Whoever submits something will find it used somewhere, so don't worry about wasted effort! I appreciate it all!

I won't get in your way, Rare. I offered if no one else did. Go right ahead mate!

@Dervish when I first played ME1 I chose my armour based on what looked the most 'assassin'. It's an easy mistake to make!
Fun thing I noticed with Shae, I think his medallion of the tree is supposed to be Yggdrasil, the World Tree. Given the plot of the game and (spoilers, for those who haven't played the game and intend to) how the First Civ artifacts the Assassins keep messing with are apparently holding the world together is pretty reminiscent of the whole Yggdrasil myth and how it's roots and branches are what hold the world up. Given how the game has a lot of nods to Celtic and Norse mythology (Morrigan, for instance, being a shape-shifting Celtic goddess who takes the forms of crows and wolves), it would surprise me if that medallion WASN'T Yggdrasil and subtle foreshadowing for the plot.

Profile Reconstruction

• NAME | Izara T’zun
    SPECIES | Asari
    DOB | 2035 CE
    Age | 151
    BACKGROUND | Citadel Security (2164-2186)

• --

• --

• Vaeron Dontus – Salarian, Citadel Security (retired), former partner during the Geth Crisis.

Work in Progress, but it'll keep me motivated.

Last edited:
Damn, here I was hoping we wouldn't get any asari.

The fact we haven't gotten any until now scares me a little.

I was still desperately holding out hope that noöne would go through with it.
You've dashed my dreams to the ground, now, though.
Rest in peace, my hopes and dreams for an asari-free RP.
At least we get to watch them die because this takes place on a burning asari planet.

Profile Reconstruction:

wpid-img_39047336847411.jpeg

Name: Corey Gerrard

Species: Human

Sex: Male

Appearance: Cory stands 6'0, he weighs 180 pounds and is in great physical shape, like every Alliance marine. His medium brown hair is cut into a short buzzcut, with a noticeable five o'clock shadow on his face.

Class: Vanguard.

Military Occupation: An enlisted marine in the Systems Alliance Navy. Currently a Serviceman 2nd Class (Private 1st Class).

Background:

Cory was born on the human colony of Terra Nova, which was the second extrasolar planet humanity had colonized. Like every other human biotic, his abilities were brought on through element zero exposure in the womb. He was born to Jon and Sara Gerrard, his father a proud war veteran, having served in his younger years, he was enlisted when the First Contact War took place, though he himself did not fight in any of the battles, but if the war had gone on then he would've.

As a biotic, he was sometimes picked on as a child, though he thought the powers were cool, reminding him of something out of an old science fiction movie. Cory's father was an inspiration to him, instrumental in the boy's growing up and part of the reason why Cory himself enlisted. After finishing school he enlisted at the age of 18. As a skilled biotic, he was provided with the generous enlistment incentives that all biotically able humans like him were given. He went right for the Alliance Navy, intent on becoming a marine, what he believed to be the best soldiers in the galaxy.

His first instance of live combat involved fighting scattered pockets of Geth, which took place a couple weeks after the assault on the Citadel by the Geth. The machines disturbed him when he first saw them coming towards his battalion. The silent steps and humanoid, yet alien shape of their bodies unnerving him, but not enough that it affected how he fought the machines, which he did very well, sending several of them flying with his biotics. But, the pockets were taken care of quite quickly, and he was pulled back from that operation.

When the Reaper war began, he like every other able bodied marine was put to great use during the early stages. His first deployment in the war was to the human colony Tyr, a world similar to Earth and located in the Asgard System. The Reapers hit Tyr quickly, going after the mines, refineries and other facilities across the planet's surface. He was with a detachment of marines who went in early, the marines on the planet were hit hard, and after a long battle, many of the survivors retreated off world, Cory among them.

Upon seeing the terrifying, twisted Reaper spawn firsthand. The sight of them scared and disturbed him, how emotionless and efficiently they moved, in the most terrible way. Cory has said before how he has been lucky not to have been torn to pieces while in battle against the genocidal machines, seeing many of his fellow soldiers die. He chalks it up to dumb luck, as well as some guessing that the Alliance was being selective where they were sticking biotics, not throwing them right to the wolves like some of the others. He currently a part of the Nevos detachment of the Alliance Navy 103rd marine division, the largest division.

Personality: Cory is a friendly individual, outwardly kind to anyone. Though, the battles he has fought in, and the death he has seen on the battlefield has changed him. While outwardly friendly, he hides a sense of sadness and pain from witnessing the atrocities the Reapers have committed. He is still naive to much in the galaxy outside of combat, partly due to being a colony citizen for much of his life. He isn't as disturbed as he first was when he entered the war, but still will get sick over gruesome sights such as excessive blood and gore. He harbors much anger against the Reapers, intending to kill as many of them as he can, in brutal fashion being a plus.

Equipment:

Guardian light armor

Weaponry:
- M-23 Katana
- M-6 Carnifex
- x4 frag grenades
- Omnitool

Powers:
- Pull
- Nova
- Biotic Charge
- Shockwave
- Slam

Talents:
- Shotgun
- Pistol
- Assault Training
- Tactical Armor
- First Aid

Other:
- Enjoys very old Earth films, he sometimes says quotes from them.
- Plays guitar and has a nice singing voice, though he hasn't picked up a guitar since the war took priority.
- Enjoys explosives, if there's a grenade or rocket launcher laying around, he'll really want to use it.
- Alien species interest him, especially the long lived ones (Krogans and Asari). He also has a weakness for asari women.
- Has a slight fear of vorcha, based on how nuts they tend to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Room for one more? o.o

Sure thing!

I'm going to start reviewing the sheets today to give feedback for everyone who's submitted something and start on the intro post.

As a fun exercise, I'm going to let you guys pick the name of the squad and if it comes down to it as the game progresses, the leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.