Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mingummy

Original poster
tumblr_inline_nv7we359NW1tryws0_500.gif

There is a rivalry between Marvel and DC dating back to the earliest Batman and Captain America comics. Which is great, competition is motivating and influences many artists/writers. But when does a friendly rivalry become a frankly immature and petty battle of toddlers fighting over whose toy is best?

I personally have never been more inclined to one than the other. I love my Flash, Batman, Grifter, and Blue Beetle but then I absolutely adore my Deadpool (praise his soul), Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, and the Runaways. Plus I gotta love my smaller comics such as Saga and the Rat Queens.

So my questions for you:

- Do you have a preferred company?
- Do you believe that one is better than another?
- If you think one is better, could you explain why?
- Are you active in the fandom (blog, cosplay, etc.)?
- Have you been in debates over Marvel v. DC (or other companies)?
- Do you subscribe to the belief that DC only does gritty/angsty comics and Marvel
is repetitive and too focused on fantasy/unrealistic worlds?

More fun questions:

- What are your favorite comic series?
- Who are your fave heroes?
- Fave antiheroes and/or vigilantes?
- Fave villians?
- Do you read comics, watch cartoons, and/or watch comic movies?
- What comic series or character would you like to see a show/cartoon/movie adaptation of?
- Who do you ship?

tumblr_inline_nv7we359NW1tryws0_500.gif

There is a rivalry between Marvel and DC dating back to the earliest Batman and Captain America comics. Which is great, competition is motivating and influences many artists/writers. But when does a friendly rivalry become a frankly immature and petty battle of toddlers fighting over whose toy is best?

I personally have never been more inclined to one than the other. I love my Flash, Batman, Grifter, and Blue Beetle but then I absolutely adore my Deadpool (praise his soul), Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, and the Runaways. Plus I gotta love my smaller comics such as Saga and the Rat Queens.

So my questions for you:

- Do you subscribe to the belief that DC only does gritty/angsty comics and Marvel

More fun questions:

- Fave villians?
- What comic series or character would you like to see a show/cartoon/movie adaptation of?
- Who do you ship?

Personally, MAJORRR MARVEL FAN. Been reading the comics since I was maybe five or so, and I've never stopped. Deadpool is my favorite character ever [spoili]AND HNNNNGGG ISSUE 250 ;___;[/spoili], but other favorites of mine include Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman, Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel, Luna Maximoff, Tony Masters/Taskmaster, and Peter Parker/Spiderman.

I never really got into DC, personally. Disliked them for a long while, for whatever reason, but I don't anymore because I'd like to look into it more before really deciding on that. For now, though, I have a huge preference for Marvel. And I wouldn't say I think either is better - I think that it's really just a matter of reader preference, what writer is writing the content, etc.

I've checked out a bit of Dark Horse, but not terribly much, yet.

HELL YEAH I'M ACTIVE IN THE FANDOM. I've been sketching up a Spiderwoman cosplay, as well as a Katherine Pryde one. :3 I also tend to talk about Marvel a lot to friends and family, as well as on FB and stuffz.

No, anddd no.

-Favorite series: Haven't really got one! I have story arcs I particularly like(such as Infinity Wars, House of M, Civil War, and a few others), but not necessarily series.. Although, Deadpool 2012-now was great. :3
-Fave heroes are: Spiderwoman, Ms. Marvel, Spiderman, Luna(though, not necessarily a hero) Maximoff, Scarlet Witch, etc.
-Fave antiheroes/vigilantes: Deadpool, Taskmaster, The Punisher, Daredevil, Lady Deadpool
-Fave villains: Thanos(HNNNGG THE BUILDUP TO INFINITY IN THE MCU - I CAN'T WAIT), Dr. Doom, and a few others that are slipping my mind.
-I read comics and watch the movies. Watched some of the cartoons, but they're not really my thing.
-OH MAN. BEEN WAITING FOR THE DP ADAPTION MY WHOLE LIFE. AHHHH CAN'T WAIT - CAN'T WAIT FOR FEBRUARY 2016
-Hrm.. Lots of ships. Can't think of them all off the top of my head. XD

No, I like both. I tend to lean more towards D.C.
Not really, however, I do believe that in terms of live action filming and movies Marvel has done much better than D.C. D.C. strengths seem to lie more with their animated/cartoon movies. This is not due to the entire franchise or company being bad at their job, just certain people obviously need to be fired. Lol
As I said, I don't believe either is better as a whole, just certain aspects due to the people they have working for them.
I am not, but I have been watching Gotham as of late which is really good.
Not really, as I am a bit of a moderator. I'm that person that steps in and goes "stop acting like children, both of the companies have their faults and their strengths.
Dude...have you seen starfire? Clearly DC is not entirely nitty gritty hahaha. Marvel tends to have their nitty gritty angsty moments themsevles. There wouldn't be much character development if there wasn't SOME sort of angst.

More fun questions:

As of late I havn't really read any published comics that you can buy in book stores. If I were to pick a series between D.C and Marvel it would be anything having to do with Batman. I have made a habit of reading online comics, most of which are not really appropriate (BL), but the comic I would say that is currently my favorite and on going iiiiiiiisssss.....well I have more than one. There is Helvetica, Todd Alison and Petunia Violet, Go Get A Roomie!, Awaken, and Blind Springs.
Batman, Martian Manhunter, Superman, Storm, Deadpool, Spiderman, Doctor Fate, Raven and a few others.
See Above??
- Fave villians?
Joker, Harley, Ivy, Magneto, and a few others.
I watch the cartoons (I've rewatched justice league like three or four times now) and the comic movies.
The Teen Titans....? Young Justice kind of movie?
- Who do you ship?
Batman x Superman (I didn't until I started browsing fan art for it)
Batman x Wonderwoman (Obviously its not canon, but they were a couple in Justice League)
Deadpool x Spiderman (due to various drawings and fancomics I've read)
Robin x Raven (frankly they made a much better pair than robin and starfire)
Raven x Beast Boy (Even though I'd prefer RobRae, I like these two as well)
Superboy x Mega'an (They were cute in Young Justice, and I didn't really understand why they broke up.)
Spiderman/Peter Parker x Gwen (yes from the amazing spiderman where she died in the end. I liked gwen so much more than mary jane.)
Tony Stark/Iron man x Cap'n America (Its to cute to not ship and I am sorry.)
There are probably others that I can't name off the top of my head, so these are all you got for now??

SPIDEYPOOL FOR LIFE
OMG YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!! I never imagined meeting another Spideypool fan *Clasps your face* You. Are. Amazing.

• Love
Reactions: Midnight Maiden
OMG YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!! I never imagined meeting another Spideypool fan *Clasps your face* You. Are. Amazing.
I THOUGHT THE SAME. YOU ARE EQUALLY AMAZING.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :D

• Love
Reactions: Esmeray
I THOUGHT THE SAME. YOU ARE EQUALLY AMAZING.

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. :D
Hahaha, it can be if we want it to be. I'll send you a message and then you can add me on skype.

I enjoy comics from a wide range of companies. It's about content, not publisher, that gets me.

My favorite series is a tie between the Boys (Wildstorm and Dynamite Entertainment), The Sword (Image), Marvel/Miracleman (L. Miller & Son, Quality Communications, Eclipse, and Marvel), the Authority (Wildstorm), Lucifer (DC Comics), Hellboy and BPRD (Dark Horse), and Crossed (Avatar Press).

Favorite Heroes: Al Simmons/Spawn (Spawn), Midnighter & Apollo count as one (the Authority), and Tom Strong (Tom Strong).

Favorite Villain: The Crossed (Crossed), Nemesis (Nemesis), and Rapsutin (Hellboy)

I enjoy basically all forms of comic entertainment.

Either Nemesis, Crossed, or Tom Strong. More than likely it won't ever happen. Wouldn't mind seeing the Exterminators (Vertigo) made into something fun and scary like the newer Dawn of the Dead or Zombieland, some shit like that.

I don't ship people. Batman and Flash might seem like one to the common outsider, but their relationship is rife with sexual tension. Go read the Flashpoint Paradox if you don't believe me.

I don't ship people. Batman and Flash might seem like one to the common outsider, but their relationship is rife with sexual tension. Go read the Flashpoint Paradox if you don't believe me.
OMG YES YES YESSSS! I was just talking about BatFlash with a friend~ xD I absolutely love the Flashpoint Paradox.

Deadpool is my favorite character ever
HE IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVE OF ANY CHARACTER FROM ANY WORK OF FICTION. *fans self* he is my love

I never really got into DC, personally. Disliked them for a long while, for whatever reason, but I don't anymore because I'd like to look into it more before really deciding on that. For now, though, I have a huge preference for Marvel. And I wouldn't say I think either is better - I think that it's really just a matter of reader preference, what writer is writing the content, etc.
Do it! I can give you recs. I'm glad that you're expanding your horizons. DC has a lot more to offer than just the Batfamily.

OH MAN. BEEN WAITING FOR THE DP ADAPTION MY WHOLE LIFE. AHHHH CAN'T WAIT - CAN'T WAIT FOR FEBRUARY 2016
Yessss! I'm going to it decked out in my full Deadpool cosplay and my best friend is going as Spiderman so it'll be like a Spideypool date. xD

• Love
This is not due to the entire franchise or company being bad at their job, just certain people obviously need to be fired. Lol
Agreed. xD

Deadpool x Spiderman
SPIDEYPOOL FOR LIFE
OMIGOD ya'll have no idea how much I love Spideypool. I read & write fanfic, plus draw fanart. :O
The Teen Titans....? Young Justice kind of movie?
That would be very interesting. I'd love to see it! Esp Beast Boy!

• Love
HE IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVE OF ANY CHARACTER FROM ANY WORK OF FICTION. *fans self* he is my love

Do it! I can give you recs. I'm glad that you're expanding your horizons. DC has a lot more to offer than just the Batfamily.

Yessss! I'm going to it decked out in my full Deadpool cosplay and my best friend is going as Spiderman so it'll be like a Spideypool date. xD
YOU ARE ALSO BEING PROMOTED TO MY FRIEND, BECAUSE HECK YES. THAT IS FREAKING AMAZING. XD

• Love
Reactions: mingummy
I like DC and Marvel for various thing that the other does better than their rival, but I mostly follow Marvel because I know the most about the lore.
I believe that one or the other has had a moment of greatness and a moment of crappyness.
Well, I can explain the differences? If you look at DC, they often make more mythological, less flawed beings, whilst Marvel often have a few flaws thrown into their creations. That's the gist of why I think both have their ups and downs. And yes, I know that both aren't grounded in those things, but those are most common :p.
I try not to be unless I know the community is not vitriolic.
Lol yeah, about certain characters, why Spidey is just as tragic as Batman, if a little more so and such.

I'll say this; DC Do great earth things but their space stuff is very boring and monotonous outside of Apokolips and the New Gods. Marvel is the switch, but recently their earth stuff has grown in quality. That's my two cents I believe that both have grown through both of those periods.

More fun questions:

Batman: Dark Knight Returns, Moon Knight's Graphic novel stints, Spiderman: The Last Hunt, Wade Wilson Wars, Cable and Deadpool, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and anything to do with Captain America and The Punisher. There's a whole bunch more tho, can't seem to get them out of my head at the moment.
Deadpool, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Batman(Terry McGinnis Version mostly), Orion, Constantine, Daredevil, The Punisher, Shadow Cat, Raven, Rogue, Storm, Lady Deadpool, X-23, Emma Frost, and many, many more.
eeeeuuugh, The Punisher, Red Hood, Bane, Azreal, Lobo, Venom, Ronan The Acuser and more.
- Fave villians?
Mr Freeze, Penguin, The Joker, Bane, Brainiac, Darksied, Poison Ivy, Calender Man, Victor Zsaz, Thanos, Apocalypse, Doctor Doom, Kang The Conqueror, Dormammu, Fing Fang Foom, The Mandarin, Mr Sinister, Kraven The Hunter, Blackheart, Magneto, Sabretooth, Ultron.
Moon Knight, he'd work so fuckin much on TV or as a Movie. I'd love to see Kang The Conqueror in a movie as a major antagonist at one point, heck even MODOK too. On the DC side? Scarecrow and Mr Freeze being utilised would be cool.
- Who do you ship
Deadpool x Death, the only ship worth a damn

Personally I've always been more of a Marvel fan. Started with X-Men, went through Avengers, fell into the Runaways which then lead to New Avengers in the Civil War crossover. :P

As far as DC comics goes, I've never been a fan of Superman, Batman or JLA so I had no reason to venture there. While I enjoyed the Teen Titans cartoon, it didn't seem to geld with the actual comics (goddamn, first time I saw the comic version of Starfire, my eyes just about dropped out of its sockets).

I do collect some titles outside of Marvel namely the Losers (Vertigo), RUNLOVEKILL (Image), Wolf (Image), the new Archie series (Archie Comics, duh)etc. This is a recent development though (which was partially motivated by my growing interest in expanding my comic collection and also the need to hoard comics like the end of days is upon us).

My all time favorite character would have to be Shadowcat / Kitty Pryde. Back when the X-Men cartoons were running, everyone wanted to be Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue or Jean Grey but all I wanted was the girl who could walk through walls with spades of attitude to boot.
Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_168_001.jpg

Not the best example but probably her most iconic one.

As far as favorite pairings go, I have dozens but my ultimate favorites would be Kitty Pryde x Pete Wisdom, Kitty Pryde x Star Lord, Hulkling x Wiccan, Nico Minoru x Victor Mancha, Captain America x Winter Soldier (STUCKY!!!) and Deadpool x Spiderman naturally.

Agreed. xD

OMIGOD ya'll have no idea how much I love Spideypool. I read & write fanfic, plus draw fanart. :O

That would be very interesting. I'd love to see it! Esp Beast Boy!
YOU ARE ALSO BEING PROMOTED TO MY FRIEND, BECAUSE HECK YES. THAT IS FREAKING AMAZING. XD
Personally I've always been more of a Marvel fan. Started with X-Men, went through Avengers, fell into the Runaways which then lead to New Avengers in the Civil War crossover. :P

As far as DC comics goes, I've never been a fan of Superman, Batman or JLA so I had no reason to venture there. While I enjoyed the Teen Titans cartoon, it didn't seem to geld with the actual comics (goddamn, first time I saw the comic version of Starfire, my eyes just about dropped out of its sockets).

I do collect some titles outside of Marvel namely the Losers (Vertigo), RUNLOVEKILL (Image), Wolf (Image), the new Archie series (Archie Comics, duh)etc. This is a recent development though (which was partially motivated by my growing interest in expanding my comic collection and also the need to hoard comics like the end of days is upon us).

My all time favorite character would have to be Shadowcat / Kitty Pryde. Back when the X-Men cartoons were running, everyone wanted to be Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue or Jean Grey but all I wanted was the girl who could walk through walls with spades of attitude to boot.
Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_168_001.jpg

Not the best example but probably her most iconic one.

As far as favorite pairings go, I have dozens but my ultimate favorites would be Kitty Pryde x Pete Wisdom, Kitty Pryde x Star Lord, Hulkling x Wiccan, Nico Minoru x Victor Mancha, Captain America x Winter Soldier (STUCKY!!!) and Deadpool x Spiderman naturally.
Erhmehgerd guys, time to start the spideypool fandom cult on iwaku lol xD

*spams your profiles with spideypool pictures*

@Amai Kyuti

Yooooou should link me all your fanfics and art ; w ;

You can spam me any time. ;)
(especially if its spideypool!)

• Love

@Amai Kyuti

Yooooou should link me all your fanfics and art ; w ;
Yassss. >:D
MY SHIPPING SENSE IS TINGLING

• Love
I should clarify in advance I'm a fan/watcher of the Movies. I don't read the comics.
I'd have to give it to Marvel.

When I think of stuff from DC all that comes to mind is "Batman/The Dark Knight".
But when I think of Marvel there's the Avengers, Iron Man, Wolverine, Captain America etc.

DC has successfully delivered perhaps my favourite super hero and movie, but it's the only thing I feel they delivered.
While Marvel has consistently released high quality, some of which like Avenger's rivals the Dark Knight.
No. It's all about personal tastes and differences.

And I need to recognize I've viewing them just from the Movie perspective, I don't look at the comics or TV Shows at all.​
I have some pins, and am pretty open about my interest (as I am with everything).
But I don't do any sort of blog on it, and my cosplay experience has been limited to Ike from Fire Emblem and homebrewed characters... So no Super Hero's yet.
No. I've been present for conversations about it, in which I vote my preference for Marvel like I did above. But that's it.
I don't care to lock horns and debate the topic.

This isn't education, health care, gun laws, or something else where public opinion could end up influencing laws that shape our way of life.
This is a hobby, we do it for fun. There's no reason to argue a point to the extent you risk a division.
No, I just think that's the reputation that recent movies have given them.

I just watch the movies and even I know you can dig into their comics and shows to find variance.
Hell DC's old Superman movies reek of the old fashioned "Jolly Perfect man saving the day!" feeling, total opposite.​
#1 Is Batman. There's no beating him. :3

After that it's a tie between Iron Man and Wolverine.
Charles Xavier is also great.
Technically Batman's a Vigiliante.
But he works with the Police, he's only truly on the sense that all Super Hero's would count. :/

So for this I need to consider those who actively work against the Law (or hide from it).

And for this all I can think of is Magneto.
Yes I know he's seen as a Villian (and he really is one) but he does at least have a good intention even if his methods of getting it are rather barbaric.

- Fave villians?
The Joker.

Loki get's an honourable mention for making some scene's really work!
Like I said above I just watch the Movies.
I would say Deadpool, but that's already on it's way. :P

So otherwise I'd have to say Wonderwoman (her own movie, not just a spot in Batman VS Superman).
It'd also be nice to see Black Widow get her own movie, rather than having to steal Captain America's spotlight in his. :P
- Who do you ship?
Note these Ship's are not romantic in nature, but rather duo's I think would be awesome to see in movies. :P

1. Batman X Iron Man
2. Spider Man X Deadpool
3. Wolverine X Hulk
4. Batman X Iron Man X Wolverine
SPIDEYPOOL FOR LIFE
Ep3TOIB.png

10/10 best panel...

...Aside from this one :D
Deadpool+forgot+his+dress+_44e0fd62701c4042732b5b647cd7bfa7.png

Not really my favorite panel. But I did make a doodle of this once. XD
I like DC and Marvel for various thing that the other does better than their rival, but I mostly follow Marvel because I know the most about the lore.
I believe that one or the other has had a moment of greatness and a moment of crappyness.
Well, I can explain the differences? If you look at DC, they often make more mythological, less flawed beings, whilst Marvel often have a few flaws thrown into their creations. That's the gist of why I think both have their ups and downs. And yes, I know that both aren't grounded in those things, but those are most common :p.
I try not to be unless I know the community is not vitriolic.
Lol yeah, about certain characters, why Spidey is just as tragic as Batman, if a little more so and such.

I'll say this; DC Do great earth things but their space stuff is very boring and monotonous outside of Apokolips and the New Gods. Marvel is the switch, but recently their earth stuff has grown in quality. That's my two cents I believe that both have grown through both of those periods.

More fun questions:

Batman: Dark Knight Returns, Moon Knight's Graphic novel stints, Spiderman: The Last Hunt, Wade Wilson Wars, Cable and Deadpool, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, and anything to do with Captain America and The Punisher. There's a whole bunch more tho, can't seem to get them out of my head at the moment.
Deadpool, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Batman(Terry McGinnis Version mostly), Orion, Constantine, Daredevil, The Punisher, Shadow Cat, Raven, Rogue, Storm, Lady Deadpool, X-23, Emma Frost, and many, many more.
eeeeuuugh, The Punisher, Red Hood, Bane, Azreal, Lobo, Venom, Ronan The Acuser and more.
- Fave villians?
Mr Freeze, Penguin, The Joker, Bane, Brainiac, Darksied, Poison Ivy, Calender Man, Victor Zsaz, Thanos, Apocalypse, Doctor Doom, Kang The Conqueror, Dormammu, Fing Fang Foom, The Mandarin, Mr Sinister, Kraven The Hunter, Blackheart, Magneto, Sabretooth, Ultron.
Moon Knight, he'd work so fuckin much on TV or as a Movie. I'd love to see Kang The Conqueror in a movie as a major antagonist at one point, heck even MODOK too. On the DC side? Scarecrow and Mr Freeze being utilised would be cool.
- Who do you ship
Deadpool x Death, the only ship worth a damn
I'd also like to say that you have amazing taste. I forgot to give props to Cable and Deadpool - but damn that was great.

Also, the only Punisher work that I disliked was ..
latest
'
..because oh, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.