Martini & Salsa

This was just getting stupid now. Daddy might have been telling Martini not to let his emotions, wait concerns, under control, but it seemed she was the one that was needing to calm down. In any case, Cynthia had heard enough, they were too set in their ways and they were going to find a nice deep hole to hide Cynthia in. Well she wasn't going to wait around for that to happen.

While the three in the room were distracted with whatever blunder Martini nearly made, Cynthia quietly got up and slipped out of the room. It wasn't hard, after all the guard at the end of the hall was there to make sure that personal that didn't belong there didn't pass to get in, not get out. She smiled at him and kept on walking.

It was almost amusing, because of how she had arrived here on both occasions, the guards here mostly knew her, and since she was walking away from all the important areas, they were all very friendly.

Pausing when she saw the guard that had been in the garage the last time she gave him an awkward smile. "I'm suppose to leave the quite way, but, you know this place."

"Got turned around at some point? Yeah, all these bare halls look the same." He then proceeded to tell her the best way to get out of there on foot. Cynthia realized that she was not going to have much time once someone started getting serious about looking for her, though she hoped that Daddy and the other underestimated her and assumed she went looking for a bathroom first before letting any underlings know that their guest needed to be babysat.

Once above ground, Cynthia didn't bother to get her barrings right away, she just kept moving. She needed to get mixed up with people and then she could figure out where she was.

It didn't take Cynthia long to find herself in a shopping center, and once she got a chance to mill around a bit she started thinking about what to do next considering where she currently was.

"You did what?" Daddy said into the intercom as the guard explained what he did. "Next time call in in first." she cut the connection and looked over at Martini. "I can't believe we let her just walk out of the center of a high security facility." Matini was pulling on a T-shirt emblazoned with the logo of Crazy Al's pizza. Then with a woeful look at Daddy he donned the pizza-beret before he set out after Cynthia.

At didn't take long for daddy to find her on the security cameras and guide Martini to her tail, even before she exited the mall she had her in sight. "Like destinations are the bank and bus station. She knows this city but with all our men investigating the bombing you're the only one close enough."

First step was to withdraw as much cash as she could. Growing up, her father always stressed the importance of having a good stash of money in case of a dire emergency. Going to a club, buying new clothing, not even needing a little extra from groceries counted. This was money that you had due to life and death, and right now Cynthia was experiencing both.

Cynthia found her way out of the shopping center and down to a local bank branch that wasn't very busy. Had this one had lines, Cynthia might have tried for another one, she didn't think her nerves could handle being out in the open like that at the moment. Once she had her nest egg safely on her person, it was only her ready cash, Cynthia started for the next location, the bus depot.

The next bus to San Francisco was fortunately was just coming up and she was able to buy a ticket on the cheap. The depot was a very busy place and no one noticed a woman that put a shirt on over her clothing and a hat. These were items she picked up at a small store on her way from the bank to the buses.

Cynthia never got on the bus going north. Instead she hoped on a local bus, mixing with that crowd and letting it take her where ever it's rout was.

Two buses later, Cynthia was at her true destination. Cynthia took a deep breath once the bus pulled away and then started down the street to the house she was looking for. It wasn't a very big house, but it had a yard, which was kept neat. Wandering to the back she took out her keys and unlocked the door into the kitchen.

The house was empty, but that was to be expected. After all this was Lena's house.

He had her as far as the bus station, but she doubled back and he had to get out of sight And he missed her getting onto the bus. Not that he needed to see the bus to see where she was going. "Bus leaving B4 to San Fransisco, clerk confirms a woman matching her description bought a ticket. He eyed the small coach as it pulled out of the bus station.

Slowly he shook his head, Cynthia had proven herself today. She was not a helpless civilian like Daddy insisted on treating her, but the man after her was the best of the best. Right now the police would be filling her death certificate and the Cardinal would give up if all went well, but to Martini, Cynthia deserved to be treated as an equal. He walked into the small convenience store that stood near the exit and bought a toasted sandwich, may as well let Cynthia have a moment's peace before the pizza scooter pulled up. She deserved what little closure where she was going would give her.

Cynthia knew the curtains would be drawn, so she wasn't surprised that she needed a moment for her eyes to adjust to the dim kitchen. Only then did she notice something was amiss. Lena, knowing that she was going on a long trip, had cleaned out her fridge and freezer. There wasn't more then baking soda in there now if someone looked inside. However she hadn't gotten rid of all her canned and boxed goods. So seeing several of them on the counter was a startlement, not because they were in the kitchen, but because they were not in the cupboards properly.

Walking to the hall, Cynthia flipped on a light. The kitchen she soon found wasn't the only place that wasn't neat. The house had been searched. For one frantic moment Cynthia worried that there were people still there, but she listened, and the only sounds she could hear were her own breathing and the dim sounds of a car driving down the street in the distances. Slowly she let her breath go and looked around.

Lena's house was going to be a safe spot after all. Whoever searched it wasn't going to come back after all, and obviously they either searched it just before killing her, or soon after. In either case they either found what they were looking for, or they didn't and it wasn't here.

These were the thoughts going through her head when she noticed that the floor behind the t.v. wasn't level. Curious she walked over and realized that the flooring there could be lifted. That's when she found the secret room.

"Oh Lena, did I even know you?" Cynthia sadly said to herself as she looked down. She then carefully started going down the stairs.

He parked it a small distance away, if she was already there he didn't want here to here the engine and take off. He approached the back door careful to avoid the invisible laser that would cause a light to flash in the hidden room. The back door was unlocked and he pushed it noiselessly open. The kitchen was clear, he left the dartgun in it's holster, he wasn't even here according to Daddy, or anyone else at the agency. Part of him wanted to see what Cynthia was really made of, the other wanted to give her the option of simply walking away.

Taking a seat on the couch facing the tv and the passage below he took out the toasted cheese and ham and unwrapped it. If she showed she'd see he wasn't just going to incapacitate her and drag her back, and for the first time he wondered if he could if he did try.

This room was what one would expect from a hidden chamber for someone that lived a double life. This was not the Hollywood super tech office, though there was plenty of technology in here. Here too the place was searched. More so then in the kitchen and living room.

Cynthia felt somewhat queasy and she knew it was her trying to adjust her thinking and not any true sickness taking her. Angrily she sat in the chair, though if she'd been pressed to say who she was angry with she might have had a hard time answering. At the moment she was angry with everyone. Lena, the FDA people, these other people, and especially herself.

She let her eyes wander around the room, taking in everything but not really paying attention. After a while she started to pick things up and examine them. Some things she couldn't identify and a few she quickly put back down. A few though she could figure out what they were used for, and there was no reason to think that any of them might not come in handy at some point.

That's when she realized she didn't know what her next move was.

Standing she started heading back into the living room. Cynthia knew she needed to figure out what she was going to do, she couldn't just stay here after all.

"You? How?" All plans of what to do next stopped when she saw Martini casually eating a sandwich on Lena's couch. She had been so sure she'd given a good false trail. At least to last longer then this, and yet here he was, looking like he was very comfortable. It was disheartening to say the least.

Martini was just finishing the first half of the sandwich. The other half lay on his knee still wrapped in the grease-proof paper. "Josh." he said taking a tissue from his pocket and wiping his hands with it. "Joshua Crawford, police officer killed in the line of duty taking down a crack house when the place exploded in San Fransisco leaving behind a son who then went to live with his grandmother." He nodded towards the lounge chair. "At least thats what my obituary said, my name is on a memorial in the bay area." He put the other half of the sandwich on the coffee table along with the used tissue.

"Daddy doesn't know I'm here, they're going after the bus but that won't buy much time, I suspect as soon as they can get hold of me they'll order me to stake this place out and make sure that hatch is closed and locked. I came here to ask you a question, it may seem strange but it may save your life and I need you to answer truthfully. Who trained you?"

Cynthia was paranoid, which was not surprising all things considered, and so she walked very slowly to the chair, all the while never taking her eyes off of him. He wasn't lying about his past. There was no reason for him to even tell her anything about who he was. No reason but to try to gain her trust, which was still not a good reason. He didn't have to be here alone.

That is part of what surprised her. He let the FDA follow her false trail, and the reason for that was not something that made a lot of sense to her.

"Trained me?" Cynthia replied in a puzzled tone. She sat back and tried to think this out cooly. Martini, no Josh, had taken a risk to ask her this question. She owed him nothing, and yet it was only fair to try to answer his question.

"I'm not sure that I've done anything all that well in all of this," she began, think of last week and of now. "But I guess if anyone deserves any credit in what I've done right, it would be my father."

Cynthia's expression was that of muted sorrow as she glanced down. "I think you have him more to thank for ..."

Stopping herself, Cynthia finally looked back up at him.

Josh met her eyes and slowly nodded. "We all do, though..." he reached under the pizza emblazoned jacket and pulled out a solidly built revolver that shone even in the dim light filtering through the curtains, the mahogany handle bearing a name inlaid in gold letters. The gun was huge in even Martini's hands he tumed it over in his hands and holding it on the palm of his hand and held it out to her.

"Its safe to say if anyone needs this its you, and I have a feeling you'll be able to handle it. Though be carefull wearing it on your hip too long, its a lot of dead weight. I'll tell Daddy theres no one here, it will take a few minuets before they send someone else. I should be here when they do. You.... you know where to find us if you need us."

Cynthia frowned as she reached over and took the gun from Josh's hand. She didn't look at it right away, but held it like someone that knew how to handle a gun regardless. It had been a long time since she held a gun with this type of weight, and her mind was already on her father so memories of going out to the range with her sisters, and then just the two of them quickly flashed in her mind.

Placing the gun on her lap, Cynthia kept running her right hand over the handle, Cynthia shook her head finally. "Thank you, but I don't think this is going to work. I left today because I don't want to be stuck in some rabbit hole, and I'm not going to dig myself one."

In all honesty she wasn't sure how to accomplish her goals right now and she leaned back in the chair and sighed. "If I'm gone, I'm still a distraction, aren't I? Your people have the resources to find this Cardinal fellow but you're already pulled too thin. And let's face it, what am I going to accomplish on my own?" Cynthia realized she had already started making a mental check list of what she would do. "Or at least in any sort of timely fashion?"

She wanted to ask to help once more. Maybe this time he'd listen. He at least didn't seem to want to patronize her. That's when Cynthia realized she'd been tracing letters on the wooden handle. She looked down on her lap. "Melody? That's my mother's name."

Cynthia looked up quickly at Josh, but she didn't ask the question. She did loose the coloring in her face however.

Josh looked at nodding to the unasked question. It wasn't much of an answer but more would land him at a desk for the rest of his career, If he wasn't heading there already. "After this we're going after the cardinal again, he knows it, finding him will be hard, getting him harder. He knows how we work and seems to be able to anticipate our every move."

In the back of his mind he was wondering how to phrase what he was about to ask.

"I can't promise anything, but you've proven you can handle yourself, and he does not know how YOU work... and I still need a partner....."

Outside a car pulled up and two agents stepped out, though Martini only spared them enough of a glance to recognize them as two of the men sent to search Cynthia's apartment. "I might be able to pull some strings."

Cynthia just nodded. Once again things were changing very rapidly for her and she wasn't being given the time to cycle through it all. She was just coming to grips with the fact that Lena was not some helpless victim, but a full fledged spy and now it looked like someone else she loved and respected had been keeping a large secret as well.

"No promises, right." Cynthia was antsy as she watched Martini look out the window after hearing the car stop in front of the house.

"What about secrets?" Cynthia's cold logical side was chiding her. She shouldn't expect him, or anyone to be completely honest with her, and yet she hoped that there was at least one person that would be. If he proved he couldn't of course she wouldn't blame him, but it was unlikely she'd trust anyone else again.

"Cynthia.." he stopped himself promising no secrets, be cause it would be a lie. "Our entire business is built on secrets." he said, "So I can't promise that." He looked out the window again. "But I can promise not to lie to you. Now if you don't mind, I'd prefer it if no one saw I armed you just yet." He nodded his head out the window. *Lets just saw when daddy finds her gun missing I want her to have already committed to giving you a chance."

For the first time, Cynthia gave him a genuine smile. He was right, secrets were what this was all about, and she couldn't get away from that. That he promised not to out right lie to her, Cynthia could live with that. It might be hard on both of them, but it was much better then the alternative for her.

As for the gun, Cynthia knew of only one way to hide it for the moment and that was to rely on Lena one last time. Leaning back and reaching around, Cynthia found a small bag. Lena and her purse fetish. "Wait, Daddy's gun?"

That explanation was going to have to wait until later though.

As the door opened Martini stood blocking their view of Cynthia for the split second she needed to hide the weapon. "Shes agreed to come quietly, I'll take her to Daddy Dearest." he said his voice carrying a hint of authority.

"We've been told that if we find her to make sure she doesn't ......" one began but was silenced by a wave of Martini's hand I'll make sure she gets there, restraining her after shes agreed to come in isn't necessary. "Very well, we'll drive you back to base.."

Cynthia kept her head down slightly and didn't give either agent eye contact. This was a coincidence decision on her part. These two didn't need to know how little cooperation they would have had if they'd not had Martini there. Besides, it was still to her advantage that they underestimated her. Let the agents think she ran out of fear or something. It didn't matter to her.

Holding the purse close to her body, she didn't say a word on the trip back to the facility under the Krispy Kream. She had the distinct impression once Daddy got an eye on her that things would once again start happening rapidly. The trip gave her a chance to try to think things out.

It started with Doctor Winestein knowing her father's name. She had brushed it off as a coincidence, which was foolish of her, but she hadn't wanted to think that he'd known these people. They must have told Martini on the drive out of the parking garage soon after that. That was what set off the small fight in Daddy's office that gave her the chance to slip away. She still needed to find out how well Daddy Dearest knew her father.

The last piece she was realizing once the car was parked. The Cardinal knew! He practically said it. Her heritage. She was going to have to tell Martini.

They entered the base and made strait for Daddy's office. She greeted them wordlessly and motioned them to sit then looked at Martini expecting his to explain how he knew where to find Cynthia. But instead he remained standing, visibly bracing for Daddy's reaction as he spoke. "I am recommending Cynthia's immediate activation and assignment to Operation Armez." he said quickly catching Daddy's gaze and keeping it. Sassy didn't speak but the surprise was clear on her face. When she did her voice was calm. "Why?"

"Based in observation made while tailing her a believe Q 417's observations were correct. I am recommending her as Q 417's replacement. I think given the circumstances normal recruitment methods can be bypassed...."

Daddy sat back and turned a pen over and over in her fingers looking at Cynthia. "Last time we did that it almost ended in the death of the trainer." she said looking back at Martini.

"If I remember the trainee saved her life though."

"Alright if you want to risk being stuck on a wheelchair for a year and behind a desk after that I won't stop you. If she's willing."

Truthfully Cynthia wasn't sure how Martini was going to convince Daddy to let her help, but if she was understanding things correctly it made sense. She was going to have to ask Josh someday to tell her what he could of that story.

However at the moment there were more important things going on. "I need to be here," Cynthia started. "And I'm very clear about that, but I think that I can be just as useful to you. Besides, I have the feeling I'm already dead out there so I might as well do something with all this free time." Besides Sudoku was dull and if they did try to put her in a hole she might just become the most annoying thing in Daddy Dearest's life.

Cynthia tilted her head and looked at the older woman's face. Cynthia thought she remembered her face, in the rain. No, it just felt like rain that day. Cynthia brushed aside the half formed memory, it wasn't important right now. Later she would dwell on it.

Daddy nodded and leaned back. "Well if you're sure then shes your responsibility, she will of course undergo training and evaluation once Armez is over." She put her hand to her temple. Cynthia you have really made today.. interesting, not both of you should get some rest." She opened a drawer and pulled out a bottle of pills and took two as they left. In the corridor Doctor Winestein almost walked into Martini rounding a corner face half buried in notes stuffed haphazardly into a clipboard. "Oh hi..." he said distractedly stepping out of the way then muttered "Three million kay directed... unbelievable."