Martial Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.
green belt black stripe in karate. took a little mma as well, but didn't get too far.

as i go on through the art, i wonder the point of belting.

i do like getting the black as a sign that i at least know my basics, but then who cares? people should be able to tell your skill level by your behavior rather than your belt.

20 years and still own the same black belt! broken, beat up piece of shit that it is now....

as i go on through the art, i wonder the point of belting.

i do like getting the black as a sign that i at least know my basics, but then who cares? people should be able to tell your skill level by your behavior rather than your belt.

20 years and still own the same black belt! broken, beat up piece of shit that it is now....
Blackbelt means the basics to you? :/

yes. why do you think there are 9 dans of it?

you think mastery comes in 2 years?

yes. why do you think there are 9 dans of it?

you think mastery comes in 2 years?
In my experience it takes about 10 years to reach Black Belt.

That's exactly what a Black Belt is meant to indicate.
I was always told it represented mastery.
I'm assuming the definition of black belt varies on the fighting style.

Ok I looked it up.

My 10 years thing seems to be correct.
But I was wrong on the Black Belt = Mastery thing.
That seems to be reserved for the higher levels of Black Belt.

Black belt means mastery of the basics.

When it comes to Tae Kwon Do... you've still got at least 9 years or so (more than 4x the time spent getting a black belt) till you're considered a "master".

Would that mean for stuff like Ju-Jitsu where Black belt takes closer to 10 years that mastery takes about 40?
Or are the requirements for Black Belt just higher overall?

Ok I looked it up.

My 10 years thing seems to be correct.
But I was wrong on the Black Belt = Mastery thing.
That seems to be reserved for the higher levels of Black Belt.
you can look it up all you want

a master moves very differently from students, regardless of whats holding you pants up or how many years it took them to get it

you can look it up all you want

a master moves very differently from students, regardless of whats holding you pants up or how many years it took them to get it
Obviously a Master fights differently.

I'm talking about what belt rank/colour is meant to indicate said Mastery.

The farthest I got was a red belt in tae kwon do. My brother, who started at the same time as me and is four years younger than me, is now a junior black belt. o__o He's waiting to start eskrima, since our father insists, but he's resisting that decision since he wants to play basketball.

At any rate, I did sort of half-ass the sparring bits. Pretty sure all I did well at was the stretching and the forms exercises xD The best compliment I got was that it was graceful :P

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I still think one of the longest and most uncertain roads of rank climbing in martial arts is in Kendo. Not only are there mandatory wait times before you can test for the next levels (these levels increase in a factor of years), you must go to an official testing site to be judged by committee and should you fail, you have to wait for upwards to a year to test again. And heck, even if you manage to climb all the way to 7th Dan, there is no telling if you'll ever make it to 8th Dan because you've got to go all the way to Japan to test in competition with all of the other 7th Dan practitioners and only a select handful a year ever pass. Kendo rankings: serious business.

Reactions: The Ghost Note
Three years of Systema and some Krav Maga. It doesn't sound that impressive considering to you guys, but I definitely can handle myself in a fight, which is really all I want from a martial art.

Reactions: Peter Feels
A few advanced lessons in kick-boxing and basic self defense moves. Nothing special.

The black belt should be considered mastery ... of the basics.

It's one of those things where, the more you learn, the more you realize that you don't know. Kind of like delving into human knowledge and wisdom. The more you learn about things, the more experience you gain, the more you finally start to figure out that you don't know shit.

That's what the black belt means.

Otherwise, most belt systems in the United States and Western World really was invented for milking westerners of monies through their kids. "Oh, shit! Let's throw in red-orange, to milk another $500 in lessons from this stupid whitey! lololol."

Been working on my Kamehameha and Kaioken

Still have black hair and have to tank in melee

SOUR ABOUT THAT

Status
Not open for further replies.