Marked

Kernal was hanging himself upside-down from the lamp post behind the creep and the girl, knees hugging tightly to the cool metal. His eyes were glowing a dim yellow-orange as the power of the thing sparked something within him while his matching hair blew loosely in the wind. "What about light?" he whispered softly at Uris, so softly that only other beings like himself and wild animals would be able to hear. "What about being able to bend light?!" His voice came in a hiss now while his eyes were narrowed to slits. The girl, Kat, would not be able to see him, nor would most normal humans, unless he allowed them. Only supernatural beings would be able to with ease and even then he would usually appear blurry, as if in water. Not waiting for a response, he allowed himself to drop from the pole, making it spark dangerously along the length of the metal as he landed on the cement with a soft thud.

His electric blue eyes caught her gaze and chuckled; he hadn't been the only one to laugh, but the fiend was too busy to search for the source of it now. "You are a witty one, aren't you?" His clawed hand reached out; a finger tilted her chin for a better look as Uris' shadows crawled like feathered antennae, grasping for a hint of magic. "You look human, but you feel –" The shadow was cut off mid-sentence when a voice buzzed behind him. He was half-amused to see the foil to his darkness. "Oh, what an interesting night." Uris watched him carefully, still keeping the girl in close reach. "Light, mm, could work. For even in the brightest world lies a casted shadow. Does that answer your question?"

Kernel slowly walked closer to the two, carefully watching where Uris's hand was touching the girl's flesh before flashing his eyes back to the blue ones which drowned in darkness. "A shadow is merely darkness and darkness is merely the absense of light. It can only get so dark before becoming stuck at that point, unable to go further. Light, however, can go on and on until all the obscurity of your shadows have been obliterated. Even beyond that, some like to believe." His feet were bare against the ground causing there to be no sounds as he walked except for the occasional rustling of his clothes which could easily be mistaken for the wind by untrained ears. He wore a long sleeved, black shirt with twin buttons that ran down the centre with a pair of light black pants that reached his ankles, a popular combination for someone who was a master of chinese martial arts. However he, only a young man, if not a boy really, hardly looked anything like an asian. Or perhaps he did. His face was one of those which held an equal combination of features from all over the world, making it difficult to guess his origin, which was the point.

Uris grinned wildly. "A world with no shadows is an empty world. No object, no being can welcome in your light without a shadow to cast its doubts. Life cannot exist without balance between two opposite forces. No effect without the cause. No victory without the struggle. Just as it is between you and I, little light, you cannot shine without a little darkness." The fiend rested his hand on the girl's shoulder. "And this girl, the one you seem keen on protecting from me, would never know the power she holds." Uris sighed dramatically. "You see, little light, there are far worse things in this world than me."

Kura slapped the man's hand away and gently rubbed the spot where it had once been. Her mouth was about to open - to throw another witty comment retaining to her wittiness - but the creep had already begun to speak again. She backed up from him, which caused his hand to fall of her shoulder, slightly confused on who the hell he was talking too. It couldn't be her right? She hadn't even spoken yet.

Her head snapped up to a nearby tree - where a laugh had echoed through the leaves, but it was too dark to find the figure who had let it slip. She was slightly angry now. There were beings around her that weren't quite human and she could definitely feel it. The feeling was like a deep ache in her bones, like every vein and artery in her body was shaking wildly, it was as if an alarm had sounded in her head. Kura had to get out of there, but what kept her rooted to her new spot now was the strange way the creepy man had begun to talk to the air. The young woman moved out of Uris' way and stood to the side of him - as if giving him room to fully see the being he was speaking with. All confusion erased from her eyes, the red head was now curious, "Who are you talking to? Do you have like an imaginary friend or something?"

She clutched Sauron to her chest for reassurance and confidence. Her eyes narrowed at Uris, "I don't need protecting..." she muttered to herself.

"...what...is that creature dude doing, talking to the girl, then nobody in particular?" Night whispered to himself. Feeling the information was not at all that useful, he crawled back to his branch.

That's when the sharp pain hit him again.

He let out a hiss in pain, and lost his grip on the branch, causing him to fall onto the ground with a thud, and he heard somewhere in his body, cracked. Not good, he thought.

They are going to find him out if he doesn't get out of there quick, but the pain on his shoulder hurts more than ever, not to mention his whole body is aching. He couldn't get up.

Night hoped with all his might that some miracle would happen, and make him unnoticeable.

Kernel smirked at the obvious confusion he was causing within the girl and, he noticed with mild amusement, the boy that seemed to have just fallen from a tree not far off. Maybe he was becoming paranoid but he seemed familiar. Had he been assigned that boy before? If that was so then regardless of wheather he had been dismissed or not, he would still need to protect him. At least to a degree. He sighed as well now, partially from frustration and another part with relief that Uris no longer had direct contact with Kura. "I agree," he said calmly yet firm. "There is and will most probably forever be darkness in even the brightest of minds and souls. However, that does not mean that one must succumb to it as you and your kind have willingly done." For the sake of the boy, he allowed the normally dim light posts from across the street to shine brighter; enough so that the shadow of the trees stretched further to now cover his fallen form.

I must be dying, Night thought, when he saw the light posts shine brighter.
A few minutes later he felt that he wasn't going to die yet, and decided to lay low for awhile, and do a quick body check. Head okay, hands, feet, brain, still functioning, did he felt a sharp pain at the back of his shoulder, but chose to ignore it.

"Thanks a whole bunch, unknown mark on my shoulder.." He muttered under his breath angrily.

Uris continued to stare at the creature as he continued to hover near the girl, never too far within reach. "Or something." He replied, a hint of smile traced along is lips. "As for protecting, you're right – I am not here to harm you." The shadow paused, his head tilted as he glanced long enough at the girl to catch her eye. "Though you do draw out such a remarkable curiosity within me. It makes me wonder…are you the problem? Or are you the answer?" His smile grew wider as he tapped his chin with his finger thoughfully. "Don't you want to know? And find out why I can sense this…magic in you? Or perhaps you are curious about me? Aren't you interested in the creatures that exist in your world, beside you humans?" He asked, a glint in his eye. "Or maybe not." The shadow shrugged, taking a step closer to Kura.

Uris heard the soft thump from the boy and curiously wondered how many humans were nearby. Was it as coincidence that these humans and creatures were in the same area…perhaps? Or perhaps there was the same pull, the same force that drove him to seek out this girl. Were there more? The shadow stared at Kernel, shaking his head. "My kind?" Uris laughed. "Oh, little light, you are blinded by your brightness. I am but a humble servant to this world and the next. My kind, as you claim, give comfort as much as we take it, and we do not succumb…we thrive." Uris noted the lights, as well as the shadows, across the street. Later, he would have to find out what was hiding over there. "So I have, maybe not so clearly, stated my purpose with the girl…what's yours?"

Kernel watched Uris in askance, not sure if he could truly believe the fact that these shadows also gave as much as they stole. It was not unheard of though, at least that much was sure. Rumours were spread quickly, regardless of which realm one was in, and they had entered his own ears enough times for him to go from complete disbelief at the words to mere uncertainty. He adjusted himself in perfect time with Uris whenever he moved closer or further from Kuru as if he were only a reflection on a mirror. A mirror that showed his anti-self. "If you are the shadow and I the light, then the girl must indeed be the medium between us." Two could play with words. "If there is one light, yet three objects, there must be three shadows unless all objects are perfectly aligned. If there are two lights, yet only one object, then there must be at least two shadows. One light at high noon though casts no shadow. Now.... is she really the object? Or the light? Regardless, she must be one if we are both present." He smiled at Uris. Not one full of self pride or challenge, just a smile that a normal human might give another when they are in a good mood. He wondered if he would realise that they were both bound to the girl, no matter what the true answer was. His voice lowered an octave. "My purpose is simple; it is the opposite of yours."

Night sat up, checking on his shoulder. The mark was still there, leaving a burning sensation. His teal eyes scanned the area. In front of him was a shrub, covering his existence. In front of that, was a unusually bright postlamp. He heard someone talking to nobody in particular, and quickly devised a plan to get away from there unharmed.