Map & Compass [Fantastical Adventure] - Grand Re-opening!

Sketching101

Coup de Gravy!
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi, Mystery
cxSwjh3.png

|| About Magic || World Lore || Spell Index || Character Index || IC || OOC || Part 1 || Part 2 ||

gMyh58t.jpg

Credit to ivanlaliashvili

Are you looking for an action filled adventure? Do you want to cast reality bending magic with your pastry skills, or become a dragon? Do you want to explore how societies can be built? Or perhaps you simply want to have a magical jailbreak? Well, then, do I have something for you! (Yes, yes I do)

Welcome to the interest check for the Map & Compass Pt. 2, set in a world of magic, steampunk, and monsters.

In Map & Compass Pt. 1, our party of unlikely allies, made up of Templars, anarchists, pirates, disgraced nobility, scientists, and royalty, managed to escape the prison island just as disaster erupted. For the next part of our story, we're looking for writers interested in helping us weave the rest of this tale with their characters.

If you wish to learn more about the world the RP is set in, check out the Lore page, or just ask me below/PM! Or, if you want to see what kinds of hijinks we've been getting up to, you can check the story so far.

Where does part 2 start?
Only hours after the catastrophe that occurred at the prison of Sunderlake Isle, a train carrying the new members of our cast, be they stow-aways hitching a ride, wealthy nobles, princes, and princesses making their way home from the Royal Academy in light of the disappearance of the king. Among these passengers are a number of people who most definitely do not belong, including the escapees from Sunderlake Isle. And the rest…

Xm4EDrm.jpg

Are you a princess bent on taking the throne? A commoner with an illegal interest in magic? Or perhaps an archeologist looking to unravel the mystery of the clockworkers?
Whoever you choose to be, I look forward to writing this story with you!​

FAQ
Q: Are there going to be any stats/dice rolls?
A: Kind of. There will be some soft-RPG elements, but there's no super intricate system in place right now. Dice rolls will be used a lot for social situations, and possibly some combat situations.

Q: Is Discord chat mandatory?
A: Yes, because this RP relies a lot on plotting the story as a group. I want to be able to easily communicate with everyone in order to better integrate characters' backstories into the main plot and see if anyone wants to do anything for their characters. It's simply a lot easier if we can organize using Discord rather than only communicate over Iwaku.

Q: Can you tell me more about XYZ aspects of the lore?
A: Yes! If you PM me here, ask below, or once you're in the discord chat, ask there, I can provide more detailed information about most things. I would also encourage you all to take part in the world building, either through writing your backstory, or generally expanding the established lore.​

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Isolus and Applo
Gonna take a while to reread everything, but yeah, tentatively gonna take a gander with this.

Gonna take a while to reread everything, but yeah, tentatively gonna take a gander with this.
I'll whip up a quick summary before long. In the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! ^^

Aight sure. Just to confirm real quick then, is everyone who's in the Character Index still part of the RP, or did you have some drops?

Aight sure. Just to confirm real quick then, is everyone who's in the Character Index still part of the RP, or did you have some drops?
There are some drops. Only 3 characters in the list are not in the RP anymore; Eldhi, Eliana, and Konstantin (though from what I recall, that one never had a first post)

Reactions: Sketching101
This definitely seems interesting (I also love how charming the art is for those five characters in the top post).
That said, I am pretty confused as to where in the overall story this 'recruitment' session of new characters fits in.

It says it's part 2 of a series, but considering there is already a cast and story going on, is this like a restart or a chance to be added in later or something else entirely? With so much lore and whatnot already in place, it's a bit overwhelming without a good starting point.

Reactions: Flame
I too will be waiting for a synopsis but I will say my interest is piqued

This definitely seems interesting (I also love how charming the art is for those five characters in the top post).
That said, I am pretty confused as to where in the overall story this 'recruitment' session of new characters fits in.

It says it's part 2 of a series, but considering there is already a cast and story going on, is this like a restart or a chance to be added in later or something else entirely? With so much lore and whatnot already in place, it's a bit overwhelming without a good starting point.
Sketching would probably be the better one to explain, but I wouldn't sweat the fact that the story is ongoing if I were you. We've opened the check, or, he has, because we are at a good point at which more players can still join! There's a fair bit to go over about the world, and I probably can't tell you everything, but it's very open to allow creative freedom with your characters. If your character adds some unique facet to the world that hasn't been thought of, or has their own story that intertwines with or adds to stuff that's ongoing, we're very welcoming to it. (In fact, such a thing is going on right now in the rp)

So, no worries about where we are at with the story. As soon as you get up to speed with the world, things will quickly fall in to place, I'm sure. ^^

Sketching would probably be the better one to explain, but I wouldn't sweat the fact that the story is ongoing if I were you. We've opened the check, or, he has, because we are at a good point at which more players can still join! There's a fair bit to go over about the world, and I probably can't tell you everything, but it's very open to allow creative freedom with your characters. If your character adds some unique facet to the world that hasn't been thought of, or has their own story that intertwines with or adds to stuff that's ongoing, we're very welcoming to it. (In fact, such a thing is going on right now in the rp)

So, no worries about where we are at with the story. As soon as you get up to speed with the world, things will quickly fall in to place, I'm sure. ^^

Cool, thanks for the info! I've read a fair bit of the lore now, and I'm still liking it. Is this the character index of the characters that are already in the story/that we'll be joining?

Hi! Glad to hear you're all interested! While the story is technically "part 2", it's definitely ready to have completely new characters jump into the story without difficulty. Part 1 was pretty much a prologue for one part of the current cast, which doesn't really affect everything else too much. In terms of the lore, you don't need to worry too much about knowing most of the stuff. For the current arc, we'll probably only be in one city, so most of the lore won't come up, and even if it does, I'll make sure to describe elements of the lore.

Cool, thanks for the info! I've read a fair bit of the lore now, and I'm still liking it. Is this the character index of the characters that are already in the story/that we'll be joining?

I need to update the character list to cross out the characters whose players have dropped out, but yes!

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
@Elvario @Reanimator Spuds @ERode

Very briefly the story so far...
Part 1:
Involved Factions: Templars, Kingdom of Enia, prisoners
Most of the player characters are brought to a prison island (with a few already at the island at the start of the story), where they briefly interact with some of the big-shot prisoners, particularly one of the princes from the kingdom of Enia. They attempt to make an escape when a natural disaster gives them an opening. They learn about the Templars' experiments on prisoners (on a surface level, not much revealed yet), and then manage to escape.

Part 2:
New cast is on a train in Enia (first stop is a city called Montacier, a rich, port city) when the train stops abruptly. Characters suspect foul play because of the inconsistencies of the instructions from the conductor. They investigate, find an assassin in the conductor's uniform. They're about to arrive at the city, after the city guards arrive.

The same day, in the morning, the prison escapees crash-landed their airship near the city, and are making their way there. On the way, they're attacked by bandits.

Reactions: Elvario

Part 1:
Most of the player characters are brought to a prison island (with a few already at the island at the start of the story), where they briefly interact with some of the big-shot prisoners, particularly one of the princes from the kingdom of Enia. They attempt to make an escape when a natural disaster gives them an opening. They learn about the Templars' experiments on prisoners (on a surface level, not much revealed yet), and then manage to escape.

Part 2:
New cast is on a train in Enia (first stop is a city called Montacier, a rich, port city) when the train stops abruptly. Characters suspect foul play because of the inconsistencies of the instructions from the conductor. They investigate, find an assassin in the conductor's uniform. They're about to arrive at the city, after the city guards arrive.

The same day, in the morning, the prison escapees crash-landed their airship near the city, and are making their way there. On the way, they're attacked by bandits.

I'm just a tad bit confused. 'New cast' seems to refer to the ones yet to be made after this recruitment session, but considering some of the events for the 'new cast' have already unfolded, that would be rather odd. So am I correct to assume that this is for the 'new cast+' that will start in the mentioned city after the part 2 events?

I think I've got some fun ideas for a possible character, although I'd have to check what's possible for a lot of the stuff, the lore has quite some interesting parts to work with.

Part 1:

Part 2:

I'm just a tad bit confused. 'New cast' seems to refer to the ones yet to be made after this recruitment session, but considering some of the events for the 'new cast' have already unfolded, that would be rather odd. So am I correct to assume that this is for the 'new cast+' that will start in the mentioned city after the part 2 events?

I think I've got some fun ideas for a possible character, although I'd have to check what's possible for a lot of the stuff, the lore has quite some interesting parts to work with.

Yes by new cast he meant the ones who joined at the start of part 2. The ones starting in the city would be the "new" new cast

• Useful
Here is the Discord link, for anyone who wants to meet the rest of the group ^^

Uhhh... Elvario got me the link to this interest check. And I must say, this is insanely detailed for a roleplay. And that Profile is... Insane. And I thought my profiles were insane... In my head, never thought to make profiles that way...

Intriguing Template I must say, Sketching.

Also I might as well add, I am interested in this, since Elvario did give me the link. Just when I am not exhausted I will read over all the interesting tidbits to make me ready for the profile creation.

Last edited:
That does look interesting. I'll read over the stuff when I have the chance. Awesome!

That does look interesting. I'll read over the stuff when I have the chance. Awesome!
Uhhh... Elvario got me the link to this interest check. And I must say, this is insanely detailed for a roleplay. And that Profile is... Insane. And I thought my profiles were insane... In my head, never thought to make profiles that way...

Also I might as well add, I am interested in this, since Elvario did give me the link. Just when I am not exhausted I will read over all the interesting tidbits to make me ready for the profile creation.
That's great to hear! You can jump into the discord if you would like to meet the rest of the crew, or ask about character questions.

With that, I think we can close this up again.

That's great to hear! You can jump into the discord if you would like to meet the rest of the crew, or ask about character questions.

With that, I think we can close this up again.

Of course! The discord link expired though. Mind sending it again?