Many Places of the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I thought of something strange, about if I had been born to your world, or you to mine. That's all, it's not something you would find so amusing I think." Roxanne tells him before quickly eating her own food. She kept smiling though and licked her lips once she was done.

Rose had remained quietly smiling, something was on the older woman's mind, it was easy to tell, but whatever she was thinking she wasn't sharing. "Well I'm going to return to my husband's side...enjoy the rest of your day you two." With that Rose leaves the pair in the kitchen by themselves.

With a deep breath Roxanne gets up and stretches before taking the two empty bowls and putting them in a sink. A loud bell tolls inside the castle which makes her sigh a little annoyed, "We've for water stored so if you'd like some get some that's been stored. That's the bell that means the water isn't safe..." She mutters under her breath about bad timing and wanting to clean up before starting to walk around the lower floor of the castle.

The stew had been enough to sate both hunger and thirst, for the gnoll was anything but picky when it came to sustenance, so he declined the offer of water in favor of walking the lower floors with the young princess. "I can't imagine what I would have looked like, should I have been a human instead of a gnoll," he muttered after a few moments of walking. He brought his clawed hands up, looking over them. "You, though, I imagine your fur would have been gray. Your eyes bright. You would have been small for a gnoll, something that made you stand out in a festival crowd."

Roxanne glances over her shoulder and laughs as she rubs the back of her head. "Gray fur and bright eyes...? Is that a compliment or bad? Although I was more referring to the fact of our personalities...where we would have been placed in the other's society according to our personality. As I said before I imagine I would have been chased out or killed, you probably would have thrived in my world because of your outlook." She waves her hand and dismisses the thought. "I'm sorry I always think of random things like that, I hope you don't mind."

As they walk eventually they come across a wide open window that catches her attention and makes her look down a little. "Who's been in here...?" She actually sounds kind of angry; of course when they walk in there's two little beds and the room is decorated as if two little girls had lived in it at one point.

"It was a compliment," he muttered in return. "Do you think I'd have done fine here?" The gnoll chuckled quietly. "I think I only've done as well as I have because of sheer luck."

Meryg looked about the room before him, curious, only for a moment, of to whom it could have possibly belonged. After a moment of thought, however, it was clear enough that the room had been that of Roxanne and her deceased sister. The princess' anger was warranted if that was the case.

"Was this your room? You and your sister?" he asked cautiously.

"Yes...but it's been untouched since...put it simply I moved to my current location the day my sister died, unable to face our old room together." Roxanne rubs the back of her head and with a deep shuddering breath she goes into the room and peers out the window. It opened to a back alley behind the castle, and she wondered if anyone was still around.

Before she did anything else she went through some of the drawers and closet and various other things looking to see if anyone had taken anything. "Nothing seems to be missing...so why is the window open?"

Meryg Dun'Ririmgashba

Gnoll Male 27 7'3'' 250 pounds

● ● ● ● ● "Perhaps a servant meant to air the room out," he mused, tapping his chin with a clawed fingertip for a moment. "Or perhaps not. Do your people believe in the spirits of the dead, Princess? That or a servant, they are the only explanations I could think of at the moment."

Meryg looked about the room, wandering over to the small beds. He eyed them curiously, wondering how anything might ever be small enough for those beds; even gnoll children were only small for a short amount of time.

He looked at the princess again, frowning. "Perhaps you should ask your mother and father?"
● ● ● ● ●

[OoC: ]​

"I know of spirits. There's a very very dark world...it's called Spirit Plains...it's a plains area...drowned in darkness and you cannot see there unless you were born there or you undergo their ritual to gain those freaky violet eyes...which basically they take eyes from one of their dead and replace your eyes with them, not pleasant mind you. I've been shown some of these things by the Gods." She glances around and closes those duel colored eyes before taking a deep breath.

"Hey, Mina...are you messing with me?" She asks the air, looking around a bit to see if there's a response, but there's nothing, just the wind blowing through the room. "Hmm...still I'm worried..." Roxanne's eyes travel up to a hanging shelf where two cute little tiara's sit, one with a cyan blue gem and the other with a lime green gem. "My sister and I shared our strange eye color, it was really neat and pretty, when she grew up she and I could have passed for twins since she looked so much like me when we were little..." She talks to Meryg but not directly, more like, distantly replaying memories in her head.

"I'm gonna check that alley...maybe sneak around the city a little...." She finally decides and goes into a closet down the hall pulling out a very big cloak, while wearing another cloak that was smaller and designed to fit Roxanne's slight frame. "Here...wear this. If you want to come with me." She says this quietly before going to the window and hopping out of it waiting by it so she could close said window if Meryg decides to follow her.

(Okay one, sorry for the long absence...4th of July weekend and week and I went to a wedding and geez I've been busy! but i'm still here obviously.)

Meryg Dun'Ririmgashba

● ● ● ● ● The gnoll donned the cloak offered to him, not wanting to let the princess roam about on her own. He knew good and well that he himself knew nothing of the city; however, he liked to think he could keep the young woman out of trouble, should any cross their path. After securing the cloak, the gnoll made his way from the window after the princess.

"Perhaps," he grunted as he moved his large frame through the window, "your sister is there, then. In these Spirit Plains, I mean. It sounds like the sort of place my people would think of as the spirit realm. Perhaps it is just that, then." He was only musing blindly, for the gnoll had not the foggiest idea about worlds or realms; he only knew what he had heard his whole life, and he liked to not think too much on any of that ill business.

Pulling the hood of the cloak over his face, he looked down to the ground so that the fabric might hide his beastly visage away from any passerby they might encounter. "Also, I trust you're a good enough talker to keep an axe out of my skull should anyone see what's under this cloak?" He chuckled, albeit nervously.
● ● ● ● ●

[OoC: It's no problem at all. c:]

Roxanne laughs softly while closing the window gently. "I'm the beloved Princess that no one has ever met...Of course I'm taught certain social techniques, no one will harm you, and no one can dispute that I'm not the real Princess...after all, my appearance is unique." Those duel colored irises stare up into the cloak catching the gnoll's eyes as she gives a trusting smile. "Believe me, you'll be fine. You're my bodyguard if they ask."

She pulls the hood over her head for now, so passing thieves and the other rotten ilk of the city wouldn't know who she was upon pure sight alone. Quickly, with light steps she walks down the alley turning her gaze from side to side until they exit the alleyway. Once they do they are greeted by a magical sight of large machines wandering around the streets, along with humans in cloaks similar to their own, she whispers lightly to Meryg a smile hidden under her hood. "Those cloaks are to keep you from breathing the poison air when the castle kicks on, remember to cover your nose if you see that black smoke, gray smoke isn't bad and white smoke is pure." Despite herself she is drawn to one of the huge machines and touches it, this causes it to spin and look straight down at her with one large mechanical eye before offering her a basket full of metal roses.

"Would you like one of these...?" It says in a monotone robotic voice that is actually very quiet, designed for only those nearby to hear. Roxanne's eyes light up as she takes one and lightly passes a small coin into the robot's outstretched mechanical hand. The whole living machine was round, with long metal legs that allowed it to stride quickly and purposefully to wherever it was looking to go.

Meryg Dun'Ririmgashba

● ● ● ● ● The gnoll practiced the movement for a moment, pulling the fabric of the cloak over his mouth and nose over and over again until he found that he could do it sufficiently quickly enough. The reflex, no doubt, would become common place to anyone out and about in the city. He wondered if the people even realized they did it anymore. "Bodyguard," he muttered, "right. I like the sound of that."

He watched the strange creature for a long moment. It was not a threat, clearly, for the princess had gone up to it of her own volition. Still, he noted that his hands felt empty without the reassurance that his spear offered to him. "What is this creature?" he asked, stepping slowly up to the mechanized monstrosity. Reaching out a clawed hand, he touched it, then ran a nail against the metallic finish of the strange being. It moved slightly, causing the gnoll's fur to stand on end as he recoiled into a defensively aggressive stance.

"Is it dangerous?" he asked further, sniffing the air in case scent might give him hints about the creature. It did not; all he could smell was metal and smoke.
● ● ● ● ●

[OoC: ]​

Roxanne giggles at his reaction, it's a strange sound, one that even she herself hadn't heard in a long time and this realization causes her to blush. Thankfully her cloak hid the reaction and she responds after taking a deep breath, "no it's not dangerous, it's a machine that someone built for the purpose of earning money and giving the collected money to it's master. Although it has a mind of it's own...it's hard to explain but when we build machines with our special tools they come to life. Although I don't know much about them, I'm sure there are good and bad ones, influenced by the feelings of it's creator." She responds calmly, despite her excitement and the other feelings on her heart.

As they wander down the streets one of the places nearby spits out a billow of white smoke that smells strongly of mint and chocolate, Roxanne is drawn to the scent and she peers into the small shop; although it's big enough for Meryg to fit inside as well but he would have to be careful inside.

Behind the counter is an older man, with graying hair that had at one point been a bright red, the ends still showed the original color, so he wasn't a very old man. He looks up and smiles at them as they walk in, "oh well isn't he a big fellow... Now, Princess Roxanne how can I help you?"

The man knowing who she was made her take a sudden deep breath and quickly move behind Meryg although she tries to put up a brave front. "I'm not a Princess sir, so please refrain from insulting me, for that anti-social hidden Princess..." She insulted herself hoping it would throw the old man off a bit.

"So it's a slave, then," he murmured, more to himself than to Roxanne or anyone else as they continued down the street. He turned to look over his shoulder as the robot passed a young man a flower, the likes of which he himself promptly gave to a young woman walking next to him. He tilted his head curiously. That was an odd custom; gnoll men vowed their weapon to their women. Perhaps, he thought, a flower meant something along the same lines here in Roserust.

The gnoll's ears perked when the older man seemed to know who Roxanne was, causing the top of his cowl to flick slightly. He narrowed his eyes, his senses ready in case this man meant some harm to the princess. He was, as the man had said, "a big fellow," and he had no doubt that he could have crushed this man with tooth and claw should he try anything too unsavory with Princess Roxanne. She was, after all, under his protection whilst they were about. She had to be under someone's protection, he thought.

"What would a princess need with the streets?" Meryg mused as he eyed confections in a nearby glass case. "What are these?" he asked, attempting to change the subject from her identity. "Are they food or something else? They smell," he sniffed the air, " . . . odd. Like sugarcane and fruit on the wind."

It was then that he realized his attempt at changing the subject probably only served to make the situation more strange. He clammed his mouth hurriedly, shaking his head.

Well that went swimmingly...Meryg talks so strange sometimes... Roxanne laughs a little and rubs the back of her hooded head smiling under the same hood. "Don't mind him sir, he's from the natural part of our world, he came to see me." Maybe she had phrased that weird, that only occurred to her as the words spilled from her mouth, too late to pull them back; now she'd have to roll with this idea. She makes a dissatisfied face under the hood and holds onto Meryg's arm. She decided on the new technique to try on him. "Again sir, don't mind my lover, he's quite a gentleman actually." She gives a small barely visible smile to the old man, after all her cloak shadowed her face quite well.

The old man makes a snort sound, "He's awful big for a pretty young lady such as yourself ma'am, sorry I mistook you for our Princess...you would think I'd know the girl since her mother is my daughter but I suppose not." This comment caused Roxanne to purse her lips together and feel bad, but she had already evaded the older man.

"Ah I see, I'm sorry then sir. I do hope you'll get a chance to visit your daughter and grandchild soon." She gives a polite bow before going to buy a pastry from the sweets shop, two of them and handed the older man the coins for payment; a little more than one would think them worth, but that probably had to do with the fact of who he was; even if she had never met him before hand, a show of how generous a person Roxanne was.

As they leave she turns her attention back to Meryg handing him a puffy bread that smelled really sweet. "Go ahead and eat it, you should be fine, hope you don't mind mint though. Oh yeah...I should explain a little, we age slowly here in Roserust, which is surprising that we can live for 200 or more years sometimes before we die. The humans on Earth; another plain of existance; die as they close in on 100." She sits on a rather large metal bench and pats the place beside her. "I hope you didn't mind the...erm...comment I made to throw the old man off..."

Meryg merely stood there as everything happened. He knew that he had only managed to make it worse for her; however the princess was quite good at talking herself out of a confrontation. At least, she was able to throw the old pastry-man off of her tracks. He had to admit -- an arm about his own felt quite strange. Strange, but rather nice.

Taking a seat beside the princess once they were safely out-of-doors, he took the pastry from her and sniffed it idly. "A gnoll does well to live to thirty years. Sometimes it's not a good thing to live long. If you haven't fought enough, you're seen as a coward for living such a long, safe life," he muttered in contrast to her own words.

He took a bite of the sweet, the taste of which caused him to shake his head and perk his ears excitedly. He took another bite, looked at Roxanne and, with a full mouth, spoke. "So he's your grandfather then? Odd. And no, it's fine. It was strange to have a woman on my arm, especially a princess, but it wasn't bad. I mean, I didn't like it either. Don't think I meant that. It was odd."

His words trailed and, instead of spewing more words from his maw, he filled it with more sweets.

Roxanne laughs, "I'm sorry, I thought the bodyguard thing would just make him more suspicious...I'm kinda surprised though, although this explains mom's wonderful way with sweets." She bites into her mint and chocolate filled pastry making a squealed sound of delight as the taste fills her mouth. "So yummy..." Her smile is big, though hidden under the shadow of her cloak the laughter was evident in her voice. "Thirty years huh...That's a little sad...but also makes sense from what you've told me." She shrugs a bit trying to prevent herself from yawning although she yawns anyway.

"Oh geez...I guess...I'll have to come back into town...or maybe find an Inn...I've never been in one before...I bet it would be fun..." She says this a little idly as she munches on her sweet finishing it off shortly after she stopped talking. "Well, what do you think? I've actually been thinking about staying in town for a bit, maybe some of the people have information on how to get you home. I know you want to go soon." As she idly chats with the gnoll hidden by the big cloak her mind begins to wander even as a strange feeling nags at the back of her mind.

She cringes under the hood as a hand travels up to her neck, the cloak hid her pain well from Meryg and she was trying hard to bite down a groan as the pain around her neck got more intense. She held still, even though she had just talked about leaving, the pain stopped Roxanne dead in her tracks, prevented her from moving. Why she couldn't even fathom until the clock shop right next to the store the two had just been in exploded in a fiery and loud explosion. Roxanne and Meryg were extremely close to the shop, Roxanne more so, so the blast scorched her left ear as she dove away from the flames. "M-Meryg...! Are you okay?!" She doesn't hear her own voice, although she knows she should have heard it.

"Sad, but it's what I know," he muttered in a matter-of-fact tone. He smiled, chuckling lightly at her reaction to the sweet treat.

The gnoll thought for a moment. "Inn? Sort of like," he thought more at length, searching his newly learned language for comparisons. "Sort of like being a guest with another family, but with strangers. I hope it's not all strangers in the same room; that'd be a bit strange."

The princess said nothing in return. It was strange, from what little he knew of the young woman, for her to become silent. Silence, where Princess Roxanne was concerned, was not a good thing. It seemed to Meryg that it meant she had things on her mind. "Princess?" he muttered. His ears twitched at a sound, a sound that seemed to begin somewhere else, yet somewhere close. That sound happened in the lull of mere moments in time, but his sharp ears still noticed it amongst the sounds of Roserust. He turned his head about just in time to see the charging flames.

"M-Meryg...! Are you okay?!" The princess' voice chimed, just barely, amongst the ringing in his ears from the close-proximity explosion.

The gnoll picked himself up from the ground in a hurry, having been tossed and rolled a good ten feet from where he had sat moments before. He looked about at his cloak for a moment, watching flames scurry up the fabric. He growled and cursed in his own language to spare the princess' ears his vulgarity as he patted and stamped on the fabric in an attempt to not have to toss it aside.

"Behind me, Roxanne!" he demanded, stepping in front of the princess. Things like this didn't happen out of thin air, he thought. Surely there was an attack, a creature--something! Or perhaps not; he still knew little of Roserust. Perhaps it was an accident. Still, he wanted the princess to be away from harm.

He held a clawed hand behind him somewhat, taking her by the wrist. "Are you all right?" he asked, his eyes fixated on the flames.

[OoC: "Many Places of the World": A Michael Bay film. xD <3 ]

(did not even know. o.o)

Roxanne feels for Meryg's cloak and while her ears are ringing she can't seem to recover her hearing, "I-I can't hear you Meryg...I can't hear at all..." She felt her voice vibrate from her throat but didn't hear it. The silence was deafening and frightening to her, too much like the time when her sister stopped breathing at her side; once that crosses her mind her breathing comes in panicked gasps as she starts hyperventilating from the sudden grasp of fear. I can't hear I can't hear, I can't hear at all! I...I need to be able to hear! Her thoughts were panicked and she sort of clings to the gnoll squeezing those pretty duel colored eyes of hers shut.

As Roxanne fully starts to have her panic attack a group of people in green cloaks rush from the flames and run past Meryg towards a gate down the road that seems to lead into the mountains. One of the passing runners glances down at the human crouched by the tall gnoll's side; Roxanne herself, who's hood got blown back when she had gotten launched back. The attacker laughs and pulls Roxanne up by the cloak she wore keeping a tight hold while trying to drag her off.

Roxanne was immune to what was going on, she thought it was Meryg and had started to go with the person willingly until she notices Meryg behind her. "W-What's...going on!?" She yelps still unable to hear but now fighting against her would be-kidnapper. This is bad...I knew...I knew that bad things had been happening...but I still... She mentally scolds herself still trying to pull away from the attacker.

[OoC: Oh, no. Lol. I meant the out-of-nowhere explosion. xD No worries, though. S'all good. I like action~]

(Wait what? it wasn't out of no where. she had warned him before that crazy things had been going on in the town. <.<)

[OoC: I didn't mean out of nowhere in a bad way at all. It was a pleasant surprise. <3 I like the twist a lot. c:]

Status
Not open for further replies.