12am EST Mon-Fri. All day Sat-Sun
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, Scifi. I'm partial to Modern day fantasy as well.
mmgpro.jpg

"Anything yet?"

The question drew a prolonged sigh and an eyeroll from the woman sitting in front of the monitor. The man standing just at her shoulder frowned in response, clearly in no mood.

"No, nothing. The same as yesterday, and the day before, and-"

"Don't get smart." He cut her off sharply. "Nothing happened today or yesterday, so what? The point is, it's happened before and it can happen again."

The woman slouched in her seat, lips pressed into a thin line. She clearly wanted to argue, but wisely chose not to. He wasn't wrong and she well knew it. Instead she resumed staring at the screen in silence, eyes tracing over the shapes barely discernable on the screen. The man did the same, arms crossed and brow furrowed in worry. There wasn't much to see. A dark room, sixty square meters of steel. The depth was less evident. Waves lapped gently at the edges of the room, liquid submerging whatever lay within and keeping it hidden from view. It was for the best really, and the man fought back an unconscious shudder at the idea of the room being drained for any reason.

"A simple Non-Newtonian Fluid. The more it struggles, the harder it'll be to escape."

That's what the researchers from HQ had told him. The science of it didn't really matter to him. As long as the shit worked, he couldn't complain. So long as the liquid remained just that; a liquid, they were safe.

Well as safe as they could reasonably so long as that thing was in there. If it were up to him, it'd be destroyed. Wiped clean from existence and forgotten about forever. But that was impossible, or so the eggheads said. So he had to submit himself to sitting on his ass and watching screens all day, his finger on the trigger in the event of the slightest hint of activity. Definitely not the kind of security detail he'd imagined when he signed on. Sure the pay was good, but it was nowhere near worth the stress. Barely more than a dozen of them out in the middle of nowhere with any sort of help thousands of miles off. The first, last and only line of defense between the rest of the world and the thing they kept locked up down there.

The man felt his skin prickle uncomfortably as his thoughts strayed towards things better left ignored and he sucked in a breath. A hand reached towards its twin and he silently grasped the studded ring on his finger and began to count each individual bump. A grounding exercise, one he'd used often because even far beneath his feet under yards of earth and steel it could still get him. Just knowing it existed was enough.

"Just...keep an eye on it. " He finally mumbled, shifting awkwardly away from the monitor and shambling towards the door leading to the adjoining hallway. His partner didn't seem at all concerned with his shaky demeanor and watched him only briefly before she resumed staring boredly at the screen. Her blase attitude filled him with as much jealousy as it did irritation. Some people just weren't as affected by it, it's why they got stuck watching it. Whatever hooks it used to dig into the mind just couldn't find the right purchase on some people. The nightmares were milder, their time under was longer.

"Their deaths come sooner." A vindictive little voice inside of him said. People like her were the first in line to get thrown into the grinder because of their 'talents'. Better to be normal. Especially with an employer like theirs. More often lately, he'd been wishing that he was far below average. He'd have never been chosen if that had been the case.

The air was growing uncomfortably thick inside and he felt himself growing more and more claustrophobic with each passing second. His steps grew more hurried and he paused only briefly to throw on a parka before bursting through the door at the end of the narrow hall and out into the harsh sunlight.

Summer in Antarctica had far from ideal weather, but it was miles better than being stuck inside. The air was uncomfortably dry, but it was fresh. Below forty and moreover free from the taint of that thing. He shivered violently, in part from the harsh gusts of wind that scoured the valley and more from nerves. Barely a month into a six month stay and he was close to breaking down. Maybe it wouldn't be too soon to call the whole thing off? The Boss would be angry. But surely she'd appreciate his honesty, right? He wasn't fit for the job and shouldn't have taken it. Then again, he couldn't imagine a scenario in which she'd be happy to send a transport all the way north for one person. Even if she were to be so generous, he'd surely lose his job. And it didn't bear thinking about what would happen afterwards. He was effectively stuck.

The cold was utterly unbearable and growing more so by the second. He'd run the risk of severe frostbite unless he went back inside, but even that was preferable to submitting himself to that thing's influence again, no matter how minimal it might have been.

"I really don't get paid enough for this shit." He mumbled through chattering teeth before lurching back inside. It was a good thing they stocked plenty of alcohol on site with the rest of the supplies. He'd be needing it for the remainder of his stay. And, provided he didn't blow his own brains out, a new liver when he finally got to leave. Hopefully whatever sorry bastards they sent up next would be better suited for the task.

"Congratulations, you're getting promoted to behind the Wall."

Words of congratulations, if not extended with a smile, would at least be said in a tone far less disdainful. Glenn Ealdorman was anything but.

Glenn looked like the crossbreed between one of those birds that looked too much like a dinosaur, and the unfortunate soul that'd caught its eye. Sharp nosed, beady eyed, and liable to kick at a moment's notice. It was little wonder that the interns who'd been given the honor of working with him never lasted long. Glenn either bullied them until they quit, or merely treated them with such profound dismissiveness that they fell into a similar routine of apathy as their coworkers.

Not everyone at Apex was a winner, and it was yet another of countless reasons for the Wall's existence.

Glenn blamed his temperament on the boredom of his job. A Handler that never got out was bound to get agitated at some point. There was no outlet for the power he'd been given just sitting behind a desk. At least that's what Glenn always liked to tell himself. Even a small and unassuming Daemon could emit great power. He'd seen it for himself. But Glenn was starting to think that he'd been had.

Not unlike the woman sitting across from him. Somehow, despite all odds, she'd been promoted to behind the wall despite only just recently being hired on.

Glenn knew, in his heart of hearts, why that would be the case. Loathe as he was to admit it, the Boss had taken a shine to the stern woman sitting in his office. Apparently, she was special. She had that something the Boss constantly looked for in every person that she set her gaze on. And it was well known that the Boss didn't favor people without reason. The CEO was not easy to impress and Glenn knew it. Simply put, the woman on the other side of the desk was better. She was special. And it pissed Glenn off to no end.

If his stooped posture and beady glare was putting the woman off, she wasn't showing it. Another item to a growing list of reasons Glenn didn't like her. No respect in her at all. It was good that she was leaving. She'd get eaten alive behind the wall, Glenn was sure of it.

"Now I'm sure you're very excited. Honestly, I am too because I'll never have to look at you again." He said with no effort to hide his displeasure. One would presume that at near forty Glenn would have grown more agreeable with age, but he was no more pleasant to be around than when he'd first started his job.

Nearly ripping open a drawer on his desk, Glenn riffled around wordlessly for an awkward few minutes and finally withdrew a stack of papers and slapped them onto an already messy surface with little fanfare.

"Just sign these and get out." He said brusquely, not even bothering to do his job enough to explain what the forms were. A quick glance revealed them to be the most basic of forms denoting a transfer of employment. Forms that reasonably could have, and should have been filled out long before Glenn called Lu into his office. It seemed the man, in a last petty act of spite, was trying to waste the woman's time as much as he could before her departure.

"There's a group over at building C, outside the wall. They're doing Orientation, and are going behind the Wall, just like you." Glenn smiled, in a manner only befitting of someone with far too much time to kill on being obnoxious, and took an exaggerated look at his watch. "Which started about oh, fifteen minutes ago. You'd better run, you don't want to be late."

They were really starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Allister didn't say that out loud of course. It was rude, to start. And he wasn't in the mood for a fight. Not with the people in front of him, and certainly not with Lorette who was lurking inside the building just behind him.

Well, putting them at the bottom of the barrel wasn't exactly fair. They ticked all the necessary boxes in terms of what Apex absolutely needed. Otherwise they wouldn't have been called for. But it was clear to Allister that these people weren't quite at the caliber Apex expected.

"What they don't know, they'll learn."

Lorette's words came to mind so abruptly that had Allister not known any better, he'd have thought she was communicating telepathically. Fortunately for him, that was not one of his Employer's many talents. Being at the woman's beck and call was hard enough as it was without her taking up permanent residence in his skull.

He coughed into a gloved fist, stepping further outside and wincing as a gust of autumn wind struck him. The onset of early evening in the fall was a quick affair. Low afternoon light yielded to darkness in the blink of an eye, and the cold was quick on its heels. Allister bowed at the waist slightly, holding the door further open for the people waiting outside it. They'd been kept waiting long enough.

"Good evening, I'm glad all of you could make it." He said airily, as if he hadn't spent the past several minutes staring at them somewhat critically. But that was in the past, and therefore no longer his problem.

"We do apologize for the wait. We've had a lot of people to get through today." He continued while ushering them all through the door as quickly as he could. They'd no doubt be happy to get out of the cold and happier to get things over with. He couldn't imagine how happy they'd be with the offer they'd be getting however. Most weren't at first. He could hardly blame them for it. He certainly hadn't been. But the alternatives were of a kind he, and most, weren't comfortable ignoring. The fallout was Lorette's to deal with however, and she typically did so well enough. In her own opinion anyway. Others had less than stellar reviews of her methods.

The inside of the building was as nondescript as the exterior. There wasn't much to see aside from a single hallway marked sparsely with doors. Fluorescent lights buzzed overhead as Allister led the small group down the linoleum tiled hall, only looking up for the barest of moments to eye a light that had burnt out. "I should get someone to change that." He mumbled to himself before falling back into silence until they'd presumably reached their destination. A single door, as unremarkable as its many copies stood in front of them, and he paused briefly, hand on the knob. "The Madame will be with you shortly, you may wait inside for her...." He trailed off and looked momentarily thoughtful as his eyes scanned the small gaggle of people warily.

"I should warn you all that she is somewhat eccentric. She means no harm, but the Madame has grown used to a certain method of doing things over the years. I hope that you understand." He finished somewhat lamely. Eccentric was an understatement, and he knew it. But he certainly couldn't open up with a list of the woman's foibles. It was better to let the poor fools discover that on their own.

Allister, and by extension the people with him did not have to wait long for to do so. The door swung open soundlessly, and he spent only a half second searching for the light switch before flicking it on. The room he'd set aside for them was mostly empty in that a woman sat behind a table lined with files, and in front of it several chairs meant for her visitors. She said nothing. Staring at Allister in dead silence and the man fought the urge to grit his teeth as his blood pressure spiked.

"Well it seems you won't be having much of a wait as she's already here. Hello Ma'am." Allister said tightly.

Lorette blinked once and leaned sideways almost imperceptibly to stare past Allister's shoulder. "You brought my winners. Good, we can get started."

Allister shuffled to the side and allowed room for the people behind him to pass. He gave the group a look that could only be interpreted as 'This is the shit I was talking about.' before turning his gaze back to Lorette. "Not yours yet, Madame."

Lorette only let out a noncommittal grunt in reply and Allister rolled his eyes. "I'll leave you to it then. I'll be just outside, call if you need anything." He exited the room wordlessly, leaving the hapless group alone with Lorette who continued to give them a look one would only find on the face of a Fox in a henhouse. Her gaze only broke away at the sound of her phone buzzing, and she reached into her jacket to pull it out and stare wordlessly at the screen.

'Why are you like this?' were the only words written and Lorette frowned softly. Allister just didn't get it. Most didn't. But that was everyone else's problem. She tucked her phone away and turned her gaze back to the small group. "You probably want to get this over with, don't you?" She asked of no one in particular. It didn't matter who she addressed really, the offer was the same for all of them. Their answers might vary, but that was something she could live with so long as the results were as expected. And they would be. Nikhil was never wrong.

Lorette played idly with the edge of one of the files, brow wrinkling softly as she squinted under the harsh lights.

"I apologize if I seem a bit addled. It's been a long day and the last group tried my patience more than I'd have liked. I've got a bit of a migraine you see."

She slapped the cover of one of the files softly before looking back up. "But that's not your problem. And not why you're here." She said pointedly before leaning back in her own chair to resume staring at the people situated in front of her. They were a motley group, same as the rest. But that was to be expected, and moreover it was only temporary. "Now as your future employer I've a great deal of expectations for all of you. Expectations that I have no doubt you can live up to." Lorette eyed each of them in turn, her gaze having not lost its predatory gleam.

"Now I'll admit that what I'm about to ask of you is a lot harsher than what I ask of most. You know, I hear all those rumors. About what goes on behind the wall." She began, not feeling the need to elaborate. 'The Wall', as it was so succinctly named was about as much an urban legend itself as what supposedly went on behind it. Circling the greater part of Apex's Headquarters, the clearance one needed to see the other side of it was high. And the Officers that had that distinction were cut from a different cloth than those who remained outside.

Most people assumed that given Apex's status as an International Arms Dealer, they were merely protecting their assets along with the intel of all parties they were on contract with. That didn't stop the rumor mill from running. The conspiracies surrounding the cluster of towers that marred Arnvista's skyline were such that more than a few people had braved the application process for the explicit purpose of proving them. If any had been successful, they'd remained distressingly silent on the matter.

For her part, Lorette didn't care to either prove or disprove those theories. So long as they kept focus away from what was really happening, it was an annoyance she could tolerate.

She didn't know if her most recent acquisitions believed any of the rumors surrounding Apex. It didn't matter. None of them were true.

"What I'm going to ask you to do for me. It's worse than what you may have heard in a lot of ways. I will not lie, and I'll spare you the pretense. If you agree to what I'm offering, you're going to be putting up with the kind of shit that the pay just barely justifies." She said blandly. It was the understatement of a lifetime. But she didn't want to scare them right out of the gate. They would have plenty of time for that later.

"What I want from you is going to test you in a lot of ways. You'll become intimately aware of just how weak you really are. Mentally, spiritually, and physically. I was." She sighed, opting to stare down at her hands resting on the table. "I still am. I'm reminded every day."

Lorette squeezed her eyes shut, a sharp pain lancing across her temples in an abrupt reminder of just that. A weakness that only a mortal woman could lay claim to.

"Because, that is the price of power." Her eyes snapped back up, though she didn't seem to be staring at anyone in particular. Lorette's gaze was far away, either lost within her own thoughts or somewhere beyond even that.

"Real power. Not this silly shit the rest of the world thinks that I care about. Oh yeah the money is nice. Connections are always helpful. But that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about, and what I want to give all of you is the kind of power that would let you strike the face of God if you wanted. And, if we do things right you just might be able to."

Lorette swept the files away to the edge of the table with a flourish as if they'd somehow offended her. "The application process covers the basics. I need to make sure you're fit enough to handle this. But more importantly, all of you have something else in you that can't be quantified in the number of laps you're able to run. That potential makes all of you qualified candidates for the kind of greatness we used to write stories about. Heroes, demigods. Call them whatever you want. It's the same thing here. That's what I want for you. That is what I'm offering you."

Lorewtte's eyes flickered towards the door and what enthusiasm she'd managed to draw forth dampened slightly. "Call me crazy. I don't blame you. But if I'm too crazy to deal with, you can leave now. In fact, I'd suggest it. Because once you've stared into the face of power, you'll never forget it."

"We need them at the cusp of cognitive recognition. These people understand their place in the world but still choose to fight it, even if only marginally." Nikhil's words came to mind unbidden and Lorette tried not to frown. He was right, as insufferably as always. These people were most valuable when they were uncertain and adrift. They made the best kind of lab rats in Nikhil's opinion. Lorette's only job was to place the cheese at the end of the maze.

"I'd imagine that you're skeptical" She said suddenly, and far more bluntly than she'd have liked. Lorette plowed on ahead sensing a mild shift in the uncertain tension clouding the room. It was blessedly, the kind that could be assuaged by sating their curiosity.

"Here." She began, reaching into her jacket. "Let's give you a small demonstration."

An International Arms Dealer could have been carrying anything of interest on her person. Wads of cash, a sidearm. Drugs if she were the type to partake, though Lorette very much was not. A cellphone, a planner. A myriad of ordinary and mundane things she could have pulled from the inner folds of her business jacket. But Lorette refused to be and do ordinary things for reasons no one but her would ever truly know.

The very not ordinary thing in question turned out to be a somehow completely ordinary toad. At least, what looked like one anyhow.

Lorette set the small creature onto the table, and it sat there like the bump on a log it should have been and stared at the small group with bulbous eyes.

"Anaxyrus americanus americanus." She began. "The Eastern American Toad. I have to say, she's pretty lifelike. Granted, I don't know a lot about toads but I can's find any fault in this one. You know a lot of them try too hard to be like the animal they're mimicking. Makes for some odd behaviors, and that catches people's attention. Which is what they don't want." Lorette lifted a hand to tap the Toad's head lightly with a finger. The small creature only let out a subdued croak in response and Lorette chuckled. She made no effort to elaborate on the 'they' in question. Words would not do them justice. Despite all efforts of Humanity, words would never do them justice. They were far beyond that.

"Yeah, she's pretty good at faking it. Because that's what this is. It's a fake."

Perhaps he'd been listening in from the other side of the door. Or perhaps years spent serving the woman had granted him a special insight concerning her sense of dramatic timing. Whatever the case, the door swung open and Allister leaned through the portal before wordlessly tossing a sword into Lorette's waiting hand.

The weapon was a simple affair. Two pounds of sharpened steel adorned with a plain grip and pommel. Any historian with a passing knowledge of blades would consider it to be of good make, but little else. It was clearly a standard issued weapon at Apex, one of many with no name or no prior attachments.

And it was also perfectly suited for executing Toads.

No sooner than it had found her hand, its twin came up to grasp the hilt and Lorette held it overhead for only a split second before cleaving downward in a fluid arc towards the hapless Toad.

Toads were in possession of only the natural defenses that God saw fit to bestow upon them and no less. Some were toxic, but for the most all Toads were content with leaping out of harm's way should the need have ever arisen. However Toads weren't exactly made with dodging swords in time. And so it seemed to all as if one of God's creatures was about to meet its untimely demise at the edge of a blade. And honorable death for any man. But a rather over intensive one for a humble amphibian.

At least, it should have been. Had the Toad Lorette was carrying in her pocket a normal creature, it would have been cleaved in two, none the wiser of the source of its demise. But the Toad was made readily apparent to be no creation of God. Or, if it were, it was a rather deranged one.

The blade struck true because Lorette's ego would allow nothing else. So in essence, she did hit the little Toad. But that was all. The blade made no sound coming in contact to what was supposedly the animal's flesh. More distressingly, neither did the Toad. It stared blankly at the people in front of it. But eyes that were once empty in the way only a dumb animal would know, were suddenly empty in the manner befit someone who's thoughts were a thousand miles away. The Sword hadn't put a scratch on it, and the Toad was bored.

Lorette grunted mildly at the recoil. Toads were a bit rubbery, and so she'd felt the expected give. But a solid and immovable object tended to come out the victor between itself and a sword. It's why shields had been invented after all.

The Toad for its part remained utterly nonplussed. It made no move to escape its assailant. Perhaps because it didn't feel the sense of danger a normal creature would have. Or perhaps it didn't care. The massive, slimy tongue shooting out of its mouth to wind around behind it and yank the sword from Lorette's hand and giving it the means to swallow the blade whole might have also been a reason. But it was becoming increasingly difficult to tell.

Lorette finally did frown, speaking to the Toad as if it wasn't a Toad. Which probably was the truth since things that were Toads didn't swallow entire swords whole.

"That's coming out of your paycheck."

The Toad's small head canted slightly downwards and it seemed to stare at the surface of the table in a manner that passed for contemplative on an Amphibian. A decision was promptly made and just as soon as it'd swallowed the damn thing, the Toad opened its mouth and vomited up the sword with an audible clang.

"Brenda, come on. We've talked about this." Allister piped up from his spot by the door. His lip curled in disgust as he stared at the sword sitting uselessly on the ground. Bathed in a brand new sheen of Toad saliva, it was obvious that the sword wouldn't be seeing any more use for a while. Allister shot a glance at Lorette and shook his head. "I'm not cleaning it up."

Lorette scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Worry about that later." She said curtly. Lorette placed both hands on the table and leaned forward, effectively looming over Brenda.

"Now we can really get down to business. That? That was power. Just a small taste of it. I can promise you that we've got it in things a lot more interesting than common Toads."

Brenda croaked loudly in a manner akin to offense and the CEO chuckled.

"I'll ask you another question." She pointed downwards, indicating the Toad still sitting there. "Who wants one?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Vec
Lucy​

9e421e3eab9de8ed373ea8202a53f965.jpg
"I should know better than to get involved. Someone told me once I oughta stitch it onto a sweater and wear it around my neck. But damn if I ever learn.

Still… At least I'll do something interesting before I die."

Empty glass connecting with a clink to the bartop, red lacquered fingers traced the rim, the smooth burn of scotch rolling down her throat, into her stomach with a satisfied sigh, "Thanks Mick. Look I know I owe ya from last time, but ya think we could work out a deal?"

"Kid… not sure why I gotta keep sayin' it. You don't owe me horse spit. Ain't nobody comes to my bar what needs a drink more than you from the looks of it, and I ain't keen to see a little thing like you throwin' herself 'round any of these other trash heaps lookin' to trade for what I can afford to give away. Like I told ya last time, one drink ain't gonna put me under, and I like your company."

Smiling dryly, Lucy looked up at the man behind the counter. Michael Elgin was middle aged, and in his prime, no doubt quite the attractive figure, with sleepy, lidded eyes the color of coffee and a fine quaff of dark blonde hair. Time and age, though, had done its number. Wrinkles were deeply carved into crows feet and frown lines across his features, grey streaks curling along his crown. Muscle had softened in some places more than others, never more obvious than moments like then, when he crossed his arms, resting them over his convex belly, "You're a good kid, Luce. You keep coming back. Fancy new job shouldn't keep ya away forever."

"You got it, Mick. Thanks…" But despite the kind words, Lucy had already risen, eyes not quite reaching Mick's as she slung a red leather jacket around her slender shoulders, "See ya around, big guy."

See ya around. But she wouldn't. Leaving the bar, Lucy knew it would be the last time she'd go back there…

Her footsteps echoed hollow on the concrete as she ran across the empty street, one sodium vapor lamp sputtering on overhead, glossy orange cutting through a thick fog. Across from Mick's bar, the road curved into a wide elbow that stretched on for roughly half a mile before splitting off at an intersection. Between this was an overpass, a crumbling old bridge that might have, at one time served a railroad or highway. Graffiti, both artistic identity and cheap, lazy tagging had colored the overpass like an old Dr. Seuss book, and as a car rambled past, bright headlights reflected a brighter yellow circle just shy of the left-most pylon, a quirky smiling face, with one eye winked shut. Palm pressed into the artwork, Lucy stepped beneath the bridge and up to a large cardboard structure, composed of several broken down boxes, "Home sweet home."

She wouldn't be staying of course, not tonight anyway. Shoving aside the curtain that made up Lucy's front door, she rifled around inside for the crossbody that served as her wardrobe. After a minute, she found what she was looking for; a plain black top and grey slacks from a time best forgotten. They were bigger on her now, but her hips had been fuller then, when food was easier to come by and she didn't need to fight the rats for it. Still, it was as professional a look as she could muster up. After changing and slinging on her jacket, fingers rifling through blonde curls, she started back down the street, a long walk that would eventually take her to the Apex headquarters. It wasn't her first visit to the better parts of their fair city, of course, but she never allowed her thoughts to linger too long on that particular aspect of her past. By the time she arrived outside, evening had begun to lend way to dark shadows across the expanse overhead, inky blackness pooling along the edges of jeweled purples that bled into bright reds and oranges. Pinprick stars might have appeared, but they were drowned out, as always, by the brightly lit buildings. A small crowd had gathered, and Lucy found herself suddenly pinched by the grip of nerves, as she wound her way through the throng.

They wouldn't wait long, however. The doors opened, and a voice rose to greet them. As she glanced up, Lucy felt the bottom fall out of her stomach, recognition striking like a hammer to her chest. A softly muttered swear escaped, and dropping her gaze, she contemplated for far longer than she should have whether or not to turn and leave. Of all the ways she had considered she might be recognized, never once had it occurred to her it would be for anything but her time at Airless, yet here was a chunk of her past, staring her in the face, that she had never imagined encountering again.

She could see their faces, a swimming sea of vapid, gorgeous people. Crystal chandeliers hung overhead and the dress she wore itched like mad at the neck, where glittering beads with some important name or another connected silken fabric to a choker. She wasn't supposed to drink, but she'd found an abandoned glass of champagne somewhere near one of the hideous statues and had sneaked off to a corner to down it before Mrs. Pultrach found her…

"You don't belong here, do you?"

The voice was older now, but she still recalled the timber of it, and how despite the condescending words, there was something that almost felt sympathetic behind them. Almost kind. Maybe enough time had passed, maybe he wouldn't even remember the pitiful wounded animal he'd discovered at the gala that night. She had been a red head, then. Their interactions had been brief, at no more than what… a dozen parties over those few years? Did he know what she did to Jerrod? Did they all know? Maybe she'd overestimated just how much of an impact she made.

All the same she was off to a great start…

But despite every klaxon alarm screaming in her brain to get out of there, Lucy found herself being drawn forward with the crowd, into the building ahead of them. It wasn't until they'd stopped again that that less than subtle urge to flee crept into the back of her mind, again. Yet there she remained, staring like an addled idiot at the all too familiar visage…

So deeply distracted was she that she hadn't even realized another voice had taken over, where Allister's had faded. From what felt like the slow motion trance she'd entered into, Lucy looked up to see a woman behind a table, performing what had to be the strangest public execution known to man. Confusion mingled with horror, and like many in the small group of onlookers, Lucy took a startled step backwards.

Then wouldn't you know it…

The damn thing swallowed the sword. Of course, it was vomited up a moment or two later, but only, Lucy was sure, out of spite. Because why shouldn't a common toad harbor spite towards the woman who had tried to slash it in two...

If she had not been acutely aware of her numb, aching feet and the twinges of pain behind her tired, weary eyes, Lucy would've sworn up and down that she was asleep, and having a hypothermia induced dream. Idly, she pinched her arm, all the same, and with that little nip against her skin, she felt the cold weight of uncomfortable anxiety creep deeper in her chest.

"What the actual hell…?" She half whispered, not particularly caring if she was overheard, and fairly certain it was a statement echoed in stereo by the others in the room. Yet despite her uneasiness, there was something so curious about the display… and within Lucy, a sense that maybe, just maybe her problems weren't quite so enormous as they had felt earlier that day. The world was a hot mess, and somewhere in the confusion of what she was witnessing, there seemed to be a sense of purpose that nearly trumped the desperation that had driven her to the Apex in the first place…

"I'll ask you another question." The woman continued, her fingers outstretched to the creature on the table, "Who wants one?"

Still… At least I'll do something interesting before I die.

Without really meaning to, Lucy took a step closer, "...You know what? Why the hell not? I'm in."
TAGS || @Ramjammer - Mentioned Allister, Lorette

Rachel_closecrop_15%.jpg

Rachel brimmed with excitement and anticipation. Arms clasped around her lithe frame to ward off the chill of the elements while waiting by the door, she spoke quietly with her brother. "Just think, Ry," she said. "Think of all of the adventures we'll have once we pass through that door!" The apparition that stood next to her in her mind's eye grinned with approval.

When the door opened, and the young blonde bade them enter, Rachel entered without hesitation and she glanced around with wide, child-like eyes. The plain simpleness of the hallway beyond the door quickly dampened her spirit. Pale, fluorescent green lighting sprayed along plain walls and the generic tiled floor which sapped her excitement. There wasn't anything wonderful at all about this place, despite the fanciful rumors. Rachel raked her hair back with her fingers and scratched lightly at her scalp as she stared with mild disappointment at the boring, sterile environment.

"Well, at least it's warmer on the inside," she muttered to Ryan who seemed equally unimpressed.

She followed their escort with the rest of the candidates as they worked their way down the very ordinary hallway. When the blonde stopped at a door, Rachel's attention slid to him and listened to his description of the woman they were set to meet. Eccentric? One might guess that anyone in Apex had a certain amount of eccentricity if one were to believe some of the rumors. Rachel mentally shrugged at this revelation. She would wait and see before passing judgement on someone she had never met.

That the woman had been waiting for them, in the dark...? Ok, yeah, that might be a bit eccentric, she thought. Who does that kind of thing anyway? The explanation soon came: migraine. Rachel didn't suffer from those, but knew people who had. That accounts for the darkness, I suppose.

Rachel took one of the seats and listened with attentiveness. The dark-skinned woman spoke without preamble and kept her words succinct. That was good, as far as Rachel was concerned. This is what she was signing up for, so it was important to try and understand everything that was being put forth.

The woman spoke of money and power but in a way that seemed different to Rachel than pretty much everyone else she knew of talked of such things. The way in which this lady spoke drew Rachel closer. This was the kind of power that she wanted but never knew that she needed or could possibly have. Beside her, Ryan smirked and nodded in agreement.

The demonstration with the toad was ... anticlimactic. At least, until the woman tried to hew the creature in half on her desk. How? What? Rachel looked over at Ryan. :: Imagine what we could accomplish with talents such as these :: he said to her as she continued to scrutinize the not-so-common toad. How could such a thing swallow an item many times its own size? Her brow furrowed in contemplation. This exhibition demanded an explanation which only seemed possible if Rachel committed herself to Apex's program.

Was such information and power worth it?

Rachel raised her hand. "Ma'am?" she started. "Hi, um, yeah so I'm Rachel. Rachel Wood. I'm ..." Ryan cleared his throat and Rachel spared a quick glance toward him before continuing with the woman behind the desk. "Sorry, I mean we're definitely interested. Do we all get a toad?"

Attachments

• Rachel_closecrop_15%.jpg
    Rachel_closecrop_15%.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 0
SilenCrop.jpg

The cool autumn air rolled over the motely group gathered outside of the Wall, a somewhat mournful howl of wind that danced over the concrete and buffeted against the great barrier of concrete and steel. Silen watched as the smoke from the tip of his cigarette suddenly disappeared like an excised ghost when the gust hit him, eyes seemingly impassive. After a moment, he grunted and spat the cigarette out to his feet, one smart black shoe coming hurtling down and grinding it into the ground.

It was no good – even the comforting feeling of heat in his mouth couldn't stem his growing nerves.

Silen looked about, eyes narrowed with distrust, at the small herd of people around him. There were already too many uncertainties with this mysterious new job that was being offered at Apex. He hadn't even discovered the opportunity himself, just offered it by the security firm he had been working for (itself one of many subsidiaries that Apex owned), and the only thing they could tell him was that he 'fit the requirements.' No matter how much he probed and questioned the strange offer, no one could give him a straight answer, and he suspected that they in all honesty had no more of a clue than himself. And that made him nervous: any company playing things THAT close to the chest had to be hiding something major.

Still, he had accepted it. Even if he was right about his hunch and this was somehow a dirty job that Apex wanted to keep quiet, he doubted it would be much worse than some other things he had done for a mere chance at payment. He had thought he would roll up to Apex, be told to do something more moral souls would balk at, and set to work. In all honesty, this strange group 'orientation' was making him more unsettled than anything. What the hell could Apex be doing that required this many people? Unless they suspected that not everyone would accept whatever job was on the line…Or that everyone would pass through to the other side…

Before Silen could convince himself that the most sensible course of action was to disappear into the night and pretend he had never heard about this job, the man that had been more or less glaring at the gathered group stepped forward and ushered them towards the set of doors before them. An open-handed offer to step beyond the Wall.

Silen hesitated for moment, almost half glanced over his shoulder at the long stretch of roads that promised familiarity if not comfort, before finally squaring his shoulders and lifting a hand to tighten his tie around his neck and straighten his suit. Better to make an attempt than not at all, he supposed.

Led by the fairly 'pretty-boy' looking guy that had ushered them in (though, Silen supposed he wasn't exactly one to talk), the group slowly marched their way through a fairly plain looking set of corridors. Silen felt more on edge with every step, feeling like a rat being led down a maze, expect instead of cheese at the end there was a great pit. Despite his misgivings, they were successfully directed to a dark room with a single woman already present. Judging by the deference their guide showed her, it was fairly easy to parse that this was someone important, though Silen wouldn't have needed too many clues to guess that: the woman had an aura around her, the air of someone used to leading. She was also vaguely familiar, like Silen had seen her on a tv screen or in a magazine somewhere, but his somewhat nerves-addled head couldn't quite place her. Silen wasn't sure what to make of it, but dutifully took a seat, brow creasing as he listened as the woman started to speak.

It wasn't long before that same brow had shot all the way up to their very peaks.

A toad…one that could not only withstand a blow from a blade, but indeed swallow the weapon whole.

Silen was…lost.

What the hell was happening? Was this all some kind of elaborate set up? A display of smoke and mirrors? But to what end?

Before he could try and ponder what was before him, two voices split the silence that had descended over the room, two women from their eclectic group, one after the other.

"...You know what? Why the hell not? I'm in."

"Ma'am? Hi, um, yeah so I'm Rachel. Rachel Wood. I'm ... Sorry, I mean we're definitely interested. Do we all get a toad?"

Silen felt his brow bunch together at each reply, but it was the latter one that caused the real confusion. Who was 'we,' in this case? The lass had stood up by herself, and didn't seem to be with anyone in particular. Unless she was referring to the room as a whole, and THAT for sure wouldn't do.

"Hold the hell on!" Silen leapt to his feet, eyes glaring out from under his bangs as he locked gazes with this 'Rachel Wood.' "Think for a damn second, before you start speaking for everyone else!"

Quickly turning his gaze, he looked back to the one leading the 'demonstration' up at the other end of the room, and like a switch all the aggressive energy curling up and down his body was suddenly marshalled and stamped back. Standing up as straight as a soldier at inspection, he (much more calmly) spoke again.

"Miss…uh…" Silen tried to recall if they had been given a name other than Brenda for the toad, but came up blank. Ploughing on, he said, "This is a lot to take in. I have no clue if what I'm asking for is beyond reason, but could you give us an even a slight hint as to what exactly we're looking at here? Because what we've just seen seems…well, impossible."

[Interacted directly with Lorette (@Ramjammer ) , Rachel (@kharmin )]

6ca786d8b019cf9336fe181cb3482f8a.jpg

Megaera
The tall Asian woman merely nodded at the demonstration. Unlike the others, she'd met Lorette before - and seen her at work. The trick with the toad was a mystery, but a minor one, to add to the list of strange things she'd seen and heard and not understood. It was a long list, and Megaera had no illusions that it would ever get significantly shorter.

A long-ago lover had once railed at her lack of curiosity. Screamed that she had no soul. It had been a petty, transparent attempt to wound her, but she'd ended up giving the accusation some real thought.

It wasn't so much that she was incurious, as she was patient. She didn't feel the need to poke at things. She preferred to wait for the truth to reveal itself - which it would, eventually, if you could only wait long enough. That was the trick, of course. But then, she'd once spent hours lying beside a nest of fire ants, suppressing every urge to move or scratch as they swarmed over her. She'd come away looking like she had smallpox - but she'd also spotted the man she had been sent to find.

She didn't even get the satisfaction of taking the shot, alas - a solo mission, so she had no spotter. But a drone strike had capped things off, or so she had been told while recovering in a field hospital.

So Megaera knew to keep her counsel, to wait and watch as things unfolded. Unlike the young man, blurting questions before the thoughts had even formed in his head.

She looked at Lorette, caught her eye, held her gaze. There was no need for words. The Boss already knew.

Lorette had her skills, her loyalty - her soul - for as long as she had use for them.

The corner of Lorette's mouth quirked in a smile as the small group displayed varying levels of assent and interest. At least two were on board immediately, though one of the women in question spoke in a manner that implied she was being shadowed. Lorette cocked her head at Rachel, brow furrowed as she tried to puzzle the other woman out. Reaching for the woman's file, Lorette's eyes scanned the information therein quickly before lighting with understanding.

"Ah, yes. Now I see. That certainly explains why he was so eager to get you on board at least." She murmured to no one in particular. Setting the file aside, Lorette affixed Rachel with a probing stare. "You." She began, choosing not to indicate who fell under the term. "Will receive whatever sees fit to contact you. It could be a toad, it could be anything else. Try and keep an open mind. Not all of them are cuddly."

A sudden outburst and the telltale screech of a metal chair sliding across the floor drew her gaze to a man who'd abruptly shot to her feet. Lorette eyed him critically, taking in his rigid posture as he addressed her. He had manners, and he was very clearly nervous despite his shift to a calmer demeanor. She decided to humor him despite the fact that every question he had, and those he hadn't even thought of yet would soon be answered.

"It's Ms.Lècuyer. Or Boss. Or Just Lorette, I really don't care. Just make sure that whenever you decide to call my name, you have something worth saying. And you are correct. What you've been shown should be impossible for a normal animal. But this is not a normal creature. She's not even biological. No blood, no organs not even a central nervous system. And yet, this Toad displays abilities that you'd call unnatural. That's because this isn't a Toad. If you want to get technical, it isn't even from this world."

She spoke with a level of earnestness that could only be pulled off by one of the world's greatest con artists, or people that were honest to a fault. It was yet to be revealed just which of these things Lorette was.

"Now before we go any further." She began airily. "I'll need you all to agree to a few stipulations. It's nothing too intensive, I promise. Just a few non disclosure agreements and Release of Liability forms. Magic toads aside, Apex is still and International Arms Dealer. A couple of you are already employees, so you get to skip the usual drivel about Healthcare and 401ks."

Those individuals being the long haired man who'd expressed extreme skepticism named Silen, and the chillingly quiet Lu.

Lorette was no stranger to the seedy underbelly of Arnvista and damn near everywhere else on the planet. Illegality was not something to balk at when you were trying to get shit done. And a criminal record wasn't exactly a deal breaker for Apex. Save for some particularly heinous crimes, a person could reasonably land a job behind The Wall even if they had a record. All things considered, Silen was rather unremarkable when comparing him to the dozens of other delinquents in her employ. In all honesty, she preferred her people to be a little bit rough around the edges. They rarely balked at some of the less savory things she asked them to do.

Lu Wanjun on the other hand, would have probably been happy to avoid criminal activity had fate allowed it to be so. But then she had to go and kill a few people from one of the local gangs, and unfortunately she had to keep killing just to stay alive. Lorette would have considered the woman's situation to be a tragedy if Lu hadn't been so effective at taking lives. And so she naturally saw opportunity where anyone else would have seen trouble. Soon enough, Lorette would find out if the stern woman was worth the investment.

Lorette reached out a hand, and Brenda climbed into her palm readily. She briefly considered placing the toad back into her jacket, but the little amphibian gave her a look that could only be read as 'Do not.' as closely as possible on a Toad's face. She settled for holding the Daemon and stepped back and away from the table. A quick glance and a nod in his direction and Allister was gone in a flash without another word. He was not gone long, returning with a level of efficiency that bordered on the preternatural. He did not return empty handed, and moreover he did not return alone.

The service cart that he pushed was covered in all manner of objects. Small figurines and carvings, jewelry, glassware and porcelain teacups. A random piece of tooling could be found here or there as well. Behind him came two heavily armored guards. They were silent, with only the light sifting of metal to herald their coming and neither spared the people inside the room a glance. They only wheeled their carts in alongside Allister's, each covered in a mishmash of random objects. One seemed to favor antique weapons that looked as if they'd be more at home in a museum or a collector's display. The pair only spared Lorette the briefest of acknowledgement in the form of silent nods before taking vigil on either side of the door. Hands at the pommel of their matching swords and the stark wrongness of their appearance was offset by the presumed threat that they would pose. The armor that they both wore was well maintained, as any piece of equipment should be. But it was well worn. Scratches and superficial dents pitted the surface where one bothered to observe close enough and it left the impression that the metal saw a lot of use, and bore the brunt of many attacks. From who, or from what would not be said. The imagination could fill in those gaps, and in truth the imagination would soon prove to be far preferable to reality.

Setting Brenda on her shoulder, Lorette gestured grandly at the carts, as if they'd soon spring to life and explain their presence. They, along with the objects loaded onto them remained still and silent. The affair seemed more like a Thrift store offering than a legitimate business enterprise. But Lorette's body language and tone betrayed no farce. She'd been dead serious from the moment her guests had arrived and was no closer to breaking character than anyone was to figuring out what the hell was going on.

Allister, who'd taken a spot at Lorette's immediate left leaned over slightly to set several stack of forms onto the table. "I've also got those Healthcare Packets you asked for." He offered helpfully.

"Good. Now these." Lorette paused to gesture again at the carts. "Are called Vessels. Each one contains an entity like the one I've just shown you. Each with varying appearances and abilities." Allister, as if sensing another request from Lorette, strode to the other side of the room and watched her intently.

"As you recall, I offered all of you power. I was being quite literal. Mr. Schoen will be giving all of you a demonstration. Hopefully it'll give you a little incentive to join us if you're on the fence. Oh, and you should cover your ears."

In a single practiced motion, Lorette reached back into her jacket and pivoted on a heel to face her assistant. This time there were no toads to be seen. Nothing fantastical, or out of the ordinary. All that Lorette had in her hand was a completely normal 9mm handgun. She fired without hesitation. Which in itself was strange. Stranger still was the complete lack of reaction from either of the armed guards. It became abundantly clear that they'd seen this song and dance before.

Allister was not in the position to ignore being shot at, however. If his employer had fired on him before he did not show it on his face. Only responding in a manner that suddenly shifted the man from the realm of ordinary, to one slightly less.

The bullet should have struck the foppish man square in the chest. A bullet was too fast to dodge on the best of days, and most people hadn't the means to block one suddenly hurtling towards them. Allister did not dodge. Not from a lack of speed, so much as he didn't want the wall behind him to obtain a brand new hole. And so he blocked.

The crystal, if it even was that, gleamed brightly under the harsh florescent lighting. A pillar of unknown origin and obvious supernatural design had sprung from seemingly nowhere of its own accord. It wouldn't have been a stretch of the mind to think so. The structure suddenly there when it was wholly absent before. But all things, even the unnatural have a source. Allister stepped lightly from behind the pillar to stand before it. With a snap of his fingers, it suddenly collapsed, dissolving into glittering dust that slowly faded from view. He reached out a gloved hand to catch the bullet that had once been lodged in the crystalline structure before it hit the ground. Holding the warped projectile up between his thumb and index finger, the blonde haired man flashed the new hires a broad grin.

"Ta-da!"

"Impeccable reaction time as always." Lorette said evenly while stowing the handgun back into her jacket. Allister preened under the woman's praise, clearly very happy to have received it. She gave the waiting group a long side eye, and smirked. "That, is power. And it is only scratching the surface of what we can do. Here, we can forge the most unassuming individuals into something quite dangerous. Much like my dear Assistant."

"Don't worry. I'm only dangerous if the Madame orders it. Which is often." He quipped earning a good natured scoff from Lorette.

"Yes. We're obviously not just a Private Security Firm. We've got a great deal of interests here. But none so pressing as the capture and containment of these entities. Not all of them are as friendly as Brenda."

Lorette canted her head back slightly to look at Allister. "Speaking of. Introduce the individual that allowed you to preform that little trick."

Allister straightened his back and practically clicked his heels together before reaching towards the lapel of his jacket. His gloved fingers brushed a stag shaped pin and he murmured something incomprehensible.

Nothing happened and a frown marred his graceful features. Eyes darting up and towards the waiting group Allister tucked into himself slightly and whispered harshly. "Please don't do this right now." He paused, seeming to listen to the other half of a conversation no one but he could hear before outright sighing in consternation. "I know what they look like, please just deal with it for now." Another pause. "No. No one is going to pet you, I promise." He hissed.

Allister's words, for whatever they were worth seemed to hold some weight to whomever he was speaking to. And what followed once he removed his fingers from the stag pin was a clear indication of that.

It was fog, borne from the silver gleam of the pin and as as luminous as if lit by inner moonlight. It came from nowhere, and it did not dissipate in the way it should have when meeting the warmth o its surroundings. The fog drew in on itself in a spot near Allister and the cloud it birth took form as rapidly as it had appeared. Hooves clattered softly upon the tiled floor and the grand, reaching prongs of a Stag's antlers swept the veil of fog aside as carelessly as they surely swept aside his foes. This creature did could not and would not hide its otherworldliness. He stood there cloaked in a pelt of silver and stared down his nose at the newcomers with an expression that only held the deepest possible disdain.

"Be nice."

The sound of Lorette's voice was enough to mar the cold austerity of the Stag's features with the barest shadow of worry before he flicked his ears and affixed the new hires with an expression of boredom instead.

Allister chuckled and smiled in a way almost embarrassed. For his sake, or the Stag's it couldn't be said.

"I'm sorry if he seems rude. He's very fussy." He reached out to pat the Stag's neck and the proud creature, one which surely hated the concept f being touched if his one sided conversation with Allister was any indication, leaned into the man's hand.

"I am not fussy." The Stag said in a voice as clear and strong as cut diamond before turning his nose up. Allister chuckled again and gently slapped the Stag's shoulder with the back of his hand. "Introduce yourself."

The Stag looked no more pleased to address the group than he did to even look at them, but complied. "I am Faendr." Somehow he was able to dredge up enough manners to incline his antlered head in a facsimile of a bow, but it was all he'd give.

"Fussy." Allister mouthed at the group, and Faendr shot the man a glare that seemed a great deal softer than the one he'd given everyone else.

Lorette pressed both palms together and eyed the trio before her with growing intensity. "Tonight, I'm going to ask you to make two agreements. One to myself and one to whatever deems you worthy of its help. Power isn't free, but with the right connections you've a lot to gain."

Once more, she reached into her jacket. Fortunately for everyone in the room, there were no more toads or guns to be seen. All that Lorette withdrew from the inner pockets was a simple fountain pen. She set it carefully on the table before the three contracts. Four signatures were required. Four promises were to be made. And with them, four lives would be irreversibly changed.

"Join me and you'll recive all that I've offered you and more. Decline, and you are free to leave and return to your lives with no penalty. Under the stipulation that you'll be watched for a time, of course. The means by which we do this are not for you to know. But bear in mind that there's a reason nothing ever leaves this place unless we allow it to."

Lorette paused to gesture grandly at the carts behind her. The mish mash of items looked more like a selection from a garage sale than any source of tangible power.

"Sign, and then you may approach. After that, we'll see who else has a contract for you."

Last edited:
Lucy​

Twenty seconds in and already, there was friction. Lucy watched in silence, a curled brow the only real indication of attentiveness. As the curiously effeminate man burst aggressively from his seat, apparently taking offense at the red head's decisiveness, she couldn't resist the twitch of a smile at the corner of her mouth. It was an odd choice of words, sure. But the red haired woman could speak for the crowd all she wanted… it didn't mean they needed to answer to her. In but a flick of a glance and a few vague words, the wouldbe toad killer had diffused the tension, but the threads were pulled taut and no doubt, it would resurface again sooner or later.

For the moment, however, they were given something else to focus on. Even with the amusing circus act mere moments before, it was hard to miss the spewing of corporate legal jargon and at the back of her neck, Lucy felt a prickle of discomfort crawl up her spine. Bizarrely, it wasn't the concept of sword swallowing amphibians and oddly ominous and exceptionally cryptic commentary that she found so disquieting, but the notion of signing her life away in NDAs and waivers… of her name, at all, being looked into too deeply, what might be dug up. Of course, she had anticipated this and fully intended to invent a much less complicated life to scribble onto the forms, but as her eyes flickered again to the magician's pretty assistant, she knew a false identity would hold as much water as a colander.

The woman, Loretta, was prattling on again and watched as carts were rolled in, presenting them with a strange assortment of knick knacks and whatnots. Peeking out of the pile, she could only just make out the tip of a silver plated ink pen and her heart gave an odd pang against her ribcage.

"Where is it?" They called him the Lion sometimes. For the life of her, until that moment, Lucy had never understood why… She had assumed, stupidly, it was for the wild mane of salt and pepper hair that sprouted from his head, but hearing the roar echo through the office, clarity rang like a bell.

She flinched. She hated herself for it, but the involuntary reaction came swifter than she could resist it. She'd adapt. Get better over time. She had to, to survive.

"I don't know." Was her meager reply, and she knew for a man like Bartholomew Pultrach it wouldn't pass. The hand had come with an unexpected swiftness, sharp and hot against her cheek and as the taste of copper filled her mouth, Lucy staggered back.

"You stole it! You ungrateful little bitch! I know you stole it! Now where is it?!"

Holding a palm to her stinging face, eyes blurring briefly, she shook her head, "I didn't take your stupid pen!" His arm twitched, and the words spilled out in reflex, "It was probably Lola. I saw it. She was dusting in here on Tuesday. She's always taking stuff. Little things she thinks no one will notice. She keeps them in her cleaning basket until she can smuggle them out."

The look on his face shifted, and canting his head, he reached up, a hand pressing onto her shoulder in what she could only imagine was meant to be a placating gesture. This time, she didn't flinch.

"Thank you, Lucile. I will see to it this is dealt with. You may go."

As she turned to leave, Lucy paused in the doorway, looking back at the man behind his desk, "You won't be too hard on her, I hope? I think she has a kid…"

"Goodnight, Lucile."

"...should cover your ears."

Tearing her gaze from the pen, Lucy turned in time to see the gun produced from Loretta's coat, aimed with cold diligence to the long-haired ghost from Lucy's past. Horror clawed, curled up in the throat and whatever protest she might have uttered came out a garbled yelp, swiftly muffled by the explosive retort from the weapon.

One might have thought in a room where just minutes before they had witnessed the absolute supernatural, something so mundane as a firearm would have cautioned Lucy to another presentation, yet the thought didn't occur, even after the bullet struck the column and it shattered into dust.

Heart hammering, hands shaking by her sides, Lucy took a step back, struggling to resolve her expression into passive indifference again. Then and there, she should've gone. Turned and fled. Rational thought screeched like a siren in her brain, but her feet refused to move and the heat that had curled around her head like a hood, pooled into her face, cheeks flushed red.

Turning instead, resisting the urge to look up, to see if her pitiful outburst had been noticed, she stared at the cart, and that damnable pen.

Brilliant light flooded the room and drove her gaze once more to the stage Loretta and Allister had devised. Once again, she was caught off guard, but this time, she steadied herself, barely uttering a gasp as the stag appeared like something out of a fantasy novel. How like him to have such a pompous, pretty thing…

It watched them with a look that felt purely born of suspicion, and really, Lucy couldn't blame the thing. Yet the exchange between it and Allister once again defied expectation and for the first time since entering the room, Lucy found herself thrown by what she was seeing.

Banter. With a glowing stag.

Probably shouldn't have surprised her, yet here they were.

Loretta was speaking again, and this time, Lucy gave the woman her full attention. Again, that urge, that subtle prickling desire to run was presented… and again, her feet defied all expectation and reason. Almost before she'd set the writing implement down, it was in Lucy's hand and without looking up at the woman who would soon become her employer, Lucy signed her name. Not waiting to see if anyone else would join her, she turned and made her way over to the carts. Devoid of apprehension, choice made for her, she scooped up the ink pen, fingers gently caressing the silver plating as they had done once before not too long ago, with one all too similar.

TAGS || Mentioned | @Ramjammer, @kharmin, @Baddamobs

Last edited:
Rachel_closecrop_15%.jpg

The mild reproach leveled at her took Rachel by surprise. What was this guy on about? She wasn't speaking for the group. She cocked her head and glanced at Ryan who merely shrugged. It seemed he didn't really care what the guy said.

:: Napoleon said that 'Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.' Kinda like him, I guess :: Ryan said and nodded toward the guy.

"Right," Rachel agreed and turned back to the fellow. She was about to add her own retort but the woman behind the table grabbed her attention once more. The woman spoke about keeping an open mind about all things cuddly or no. Rachel glanced at the toad. Impressive as its display had been, she didn't really find it all that cute. It was, after all, a toad.

And yet it wasn't. What the woman was telling them didn't align with Rachel's idea of reality. Yet, she did see the thing eat a sword with her own eyes. All of them saw it.

Rachel sat forward and gave their host her undivided attention. Lorette started to detail the many forms and such that they would be obligated to sign if they accepted the job. Rachel's glance cut across the small group as she tried to determine which of them were already employees. They all seemed normal enough, so whatever deals that they may have made didn't appear to have adversely affected them.

If for no other reason, Rachel was more than willing to go along with whatever Lorette was offering them. She had no other prospect and, hopefully, it would get her away from the miasma of her current life at home. Hell, maybe if the money were good enough she could hire someone to look after mother. Ryan shrugged again at the thought. Of everyone in the room, her twin seemed the least enthusiastic about the entire affair, even when the carts were wheeled in.

Rachel's hair spilled lightly over her shoulder as she turned her head and eyed the contents on the carts. Vessels, Lorette called them, but they didn't look like they contained anything or even had the capacity to do so. They must have been valuable, however, to require an armed escort. She gave one of the guards a once-over with her eyes and decided that the armor was too restrictive for her taste.

She barely had time to register Lorette's warning before the woman pulled out a gun and shot the man who had escorted them here. Rachel jumped in surprise and fully expected the man to be dead, or at least gravely wounded depending upon how good of a shot Lorette was at that range. Then, Rachel's eye widened at the crystal-like pillar that had appeared and stopped the bullet.

"Did you see that?" she asked with a quick look toward Ryan. Her brother stood impassive at the display. "C'mon, you can't tell me that you expected that."

:: It would seem that Apex is full of surprises :: Ryan mused and adjusted his glasses on his nose with a simple push of a forefinger.

Truer words hadn't been uttered thus far by her sibling. Their escort, Mr. Schoen, produced a full-bodied silver stag, right there in the room from a strange fog that had come from a lapel pin. It was... magical! Then, the stag spoke!

:: Well, that's not something you'd see every day :: Ryan chirped next to her.

Rachel needed no further convincing.

:: Wait :: Ryan cautioned. :: We don't know what the costs are for this power-- :: But Rachel dismissed his concerns with a casual wave. Whatever the cost, it had to be worth it. The guy not only had a wonderful stag as some sort of companion/partner/thing, but had stopped a bullet!

She stood and tucked her hair behind her ear as she approached the table with the documents and tried to hide her impatience for the girl before her to finish with the pen.

Last edited:
SilenCrop.jpg

… Lorette Lècuyer? As in, THAT Lorette Lècuyer?

Silen felt every muscle in his body tense at once, the room suddenly feeling several times more claustrophobic than it did before Lorette had spoken.

The group Silen had worked for had been a minor operation, a security group that held none of the power or prestige of Apex's imposing Knights. But they were still a subsidiary for Apex one way or another, and Silen tried to at least know who was ultimately the top dog in any given pile, and had looked into just who sat at Apex's very peak. Public information about Lorette Lècuyer was ultimately surface level and inconclusive except on two points: she was devastatingly effective as a CEO, and absolutely not a woman to be crossed.

The fact that she was here, right before them, meant that whatever was playing out was no trick, and indeed was likely connected to grander things yet to occur…

Swallowing thickly, Silen slid back onto his chair, hands shakily adjusting his tie again as Lorette continued. What she said was enigmatic, that the toad was not made of flesh and muscle. Indeed, that it wasn't even something native to the world they knew. It sounded strange and almost insane, and yet Silen had the worrying feeling she was speaking nothing but the truth.

Next came the 'Vessels,' carted in by the blond man from before and two silent figures dressed head to toe in metal and armour. This was the closet Silen had ever been to someone completely decked out in Apex's top-grade gear, and it certainly didn't disappoint. A strange mixture of a medieval knight and the most advance technology and technique money could buy, the guards seemed at that moment like something unmoveable, like mountains before a gale. Whatever they had just rolled in, it was something Apex considered important beyond Silen's reckoning. Another hint that Silen had somehow walked into something much greater than he could have guessed when he had originally agreed.

The final show evidence came in the form of the crack of a gunshot, a flash of light against crystal, and the appearance of a ghostly stag. Silen blinked, flummoxed into silence. He was looking at a tall being shaped like an animal that glowed with an almost ethereal light, eyes that shone with a distinctive intelligence, and SPOKE.

Either Silen had gone completely mad, or a great secret that had rested across the world had just been pulled back before his very eyes. And he quaked with fear and longing both.

He was starting to understand. He may not yet understand what 'true power' was, but anything like this – anything that could scratch the surface of the impossible – was something worth taking a risk to obtain.

Silen tried to marshal himself, pull this sudden and surging desire back into perspective: if he signed the piece of paper Lorette had put down, there was no telling what he would be entangling himself in. This was a world he knew nothing of, filled with dangers he had no frame of reference for. There was still time to walk away. He could simply refuse, put up with the fact he'd be monitored for a while, and get back to the life he had some idea of how to lead.

And yet no matter how many times he tried to reason with himself, the otherworldly light that hung around the stag like a shroud kept calling him back. 'True power'…each time the words spun through his mind, it seemed a little more tempting, a little more real…

Before he really realized what he was doing, Silen found himself standing to his feet, taking slow steps up to the front. The two women from before were already ahead of him, scribbling names across contracts. Silen wished it could have been said that he made eye contact with Lorette evenly, but the truth was his eyes were blinking with nerves and his hand shook as he slowly scratched his name across the page. Then, like a puppet pulled along a string, Silen turned to the carts.

Numerous items were set out before him, looking innocently shabby and perfectly mundane. And yet with the demonstration still fresh in his mind, Silen had the strange impression that each and every one was somehow 'watching' him. The faded eyes of Russian dolls seemed to twinkle maliciously, and simple statues of animals seemed to glare hatefully. Silen's eyes darted back and forth, not knowing what exactly he was searching for.

After what felt like a small age, his eyes finally settled on something. A beat up, age worn flash camera. It looked like something from years ago, some crappy Polaroid complete with a missing bulb for its light. Despite that, Silen's eyes seemed locked onto the artifact. It's lens, like the rest of the 'Vessels,' seemed almost like it was looking back at him, a single great eye watching his every move. Despite there being no notable difference between it and the rest, Silen got a strangely…calm impression from the camera. Like whatever aura hovered over the strange and miscellaneous items, was somehow different to this one.

With one hesitant hand, Silen carefully plucked the camera out from amongst it's peers. Almost as soon as his skin made contact, Silen felt an odd prickly sensation shoot across his body, ending in a shiver. Despite that, he carefully cradled the camera in both hands, looking into it's lens like a man transfixed.

Reactions: Ramjammer
Rachel_zoom.jpg

Rachel signed without hesitation. It didn't matter what jargon or legal terms were in the documents. She wanted to be part of Apex, to be included in this mystical communion with some other being. She glanced over at the white stag and grinned.

Then, Rachel approached the tables with the ... vessels, she thought that they were called? In mild fascination, she watched as the blonde woman selected a silver plated pen who then held it with some reverence. The guy who had admonished her earlier picked up an old camera of some sort.

Well, if a lapel pin could house a large, talking stag then what wonders would a pen and a camera hold? She let her gaze roam free across the items on the table, but nothing stood out or attracted her attention as the two before her. Was something wrong?

:: They're waiting on you :: Rachel looked back and saw both Lorette and the man with the stag observing her. The look in Lorette's eyes should have screamed caution in her mind, but the entire event had scrambled her sense of normalcy. It was almost as if the woman already knew what selection Rachel would make. That, too, was uncanny.

She returned her attention to the tables. Again, nothing caught her fancy or spoke to her in some alien manner. Rachel knew that she would have to pick something. Then, she sensed a presence that didn't actually call out to her; rather, it felt like it belonged to her. Something familiar, yet not, but it gave her the sense of filling a part of her where something was missing.

Rachel turned to Ryan, but he had chosen this moment to be elsewhere. Typical, she thought. He always seemed to have that habit of being beside her when she didn't need him and then not being there when she did.

The presence beckoned her from the jewelry on the table. Rachel moved nearer to that section, closed her eyes and held out an open hand, palm down over the trinkets arrayed there. The presence seemed to approve of her action and she felt some pleasure from it. Her hand descended and closed as it grasped the item that she felt was right.

Rachel opened her eyes and her hand to reveal a faux pearl stud earring, much like the ones her mother might have worn in the time before...

Yes, this was it. This was the item that wanted her, that belonged with her. Rachel removed the backing and plunged the post through her left earlobe. The stinging pain that she had expected from this lancing never occurred; rather, a lightning-quick static shock shot through her and then was gone.

"And so that covers the matter of your pension plans. I'd suggest leaving the contact information of your next of kin, so that it continues to pay out in the event of your-" Lorrete paused momentarily as she struggled to find the appropriate terminology. "Unfortunate demise. I'd also like to take this moment to inform you that based on the nature of your death, it's possible that your loved ones won't be getting your body." She said grimly. An unfortunate thing, she knew this. But presenting an employee's corpse to their next of kin after it'd be chewed up and spat out by some nameless horror or another wasn't an option.

Not that the people in front of her actually had any loved ones to report their deaths to in the first place. But, Lorette was nothing if not thorough. The minutiae concerning employment benefits wasn't something she was willing to ignore, even if her new acquisitions seemed all too happy to disregard the fine print of their contracts.

Lorette looked at her watch and sighed. "Eight thirty. We've got one more thing to do this evening." She held up her hands in a placating manner before anyone present got the chance to express their irritation. "It's nothing intensive, I promise. We've set up a little mixer for you to get acquainted." New pets notwithstanding, it was a little hard to put your life into the hands of someone that you didn't know very well. Lorette also felt it would be rude to take up so much of their time and not compensate them in some way.

"There will be snacks!" Allister piped up cheerily from his spot by the door and Lorette cocked her head at the man. "Shouldn't you be pulling the van around?

"Already did. I got it while you were talking about stock portfolios. You always get so into it."

Lorette frowned and turned her gaze to the floor. "I just really like stock portfolios..." She mumbled. Snapping her head up in sudden remembrance of just where she was and what she was doing, she coughed into a fist. "Let's get you all loaded up, shall we? You can leave the paperwork here, someone will collect it."

After rounding everyone up and ensuring that they all had a firm grasp on the vessels they'd chosen, Lorette herded the little group back out into the cold. There, the darkness was absolute and the chill in the wind had only grown sharper during their time inside. It was truly fortunate then, that Allister had possessed the foresight to pull the van close to the entrance of the building, and they all hurried through its open doors.

The Van was a cozy affair. The kind often used to ferry visitors to HQ from the airport, and anywhere beyond. Plush leather seating, and a warm exterior greeted the small group and was most assuredly considered by all to be an upgrade from the metal chairs and fluorescent lights they'd been subjected to over the past hour.

Lorette, as was her nature, left no room for discussion as to who'd be taking the front passenger seat. She climbed in easily as Allister took his spot behind the wheel and gave their passengers a quick onceover to assure herself that they were all present. Once accounted for and buckled in, she gave her assistant a brief nod and placed Brenda onto the dashboard before settling in for the ride.

Allister pulled away from the curb before edging the Van down narrow lanes past a cluster of squat buildings. The outer reception area was where most 'normal' business was conducted, with higher security work and production kept safely beyond the wall.

As for the fabled wall itself, it may as well have been it's own separate entity. A little over two stories, it was an imposing structure of reinforced steel that surrounded almost the whole of the property. It only broke where land met water, pointless when small freighters needed the space to move in and out of Apex's harbor. The monotonous stretch of gray was only broken by security towers manned by any armed guards that weren't patrolling the top of the wall. It was more akin to a fortress than a collection of office buildings, and more than once had the City Council deemed it to be an eyesore. There was nothing to be done, given the value of what lay inside and most assumed that Apex was incredibly paranoid about keeping people out.

The wall's true and intended purpose, was more grim. It's presence not merely a deterrent to would be interlopers, but a means of protecting an unawares populace from whatever was trapped behind it.

The ride towards it was silent, and the wall seemed to stretch ever higher the closer they got. It cast its shadow over the van like the armored sides of a great serpent circling the complex, and one was forced to crane their neck back if they hoped to see the top of it.

The security checkpoint they pulled up to was manned by a pair of guards, and they spoke briefly with Lorette before one moved to the side of the van. The panel door slid open silently, letting in a gust of cold air and an armored individual greeted everyone calmly. "Good evening folks. Don't worry, we're just here to make sure everything is secure and we'll get you on your way ." Unlike the pair from before, this guard was armed a little more heavily. He carried the same sword that was clearly typical of those in his position, but one could not ignore the automatic rifle in his hands even if they wanted to. He stepped aside and a German Shepard hopped boldly into the van and began sniffing everyone intently. It wore a vest not unlike those one would find on a K-9 police unit, though it was branded with the Apex logo instead.

The dog went about its business quickly and efficiently before turning tail and exiting the van without a backward glance. Whatever it had found, or not found seemed to please it. Enough so that no one in the vehicle was deemed a threat. The man nodded, and bid everyone a good night before closing the door again and leaving them all in darkness. There was another subdued conversation from the front seat and before long they were waved onwards. The massive steel gate shielding the entrance ground open just wide enough to allow the van passage, and suddenly they were inside.

Had it been daytime, their first excursion beyond the massive barrier might have been a deal more impressive an exciting. But as it stood, it was simply too dark and too empty to really make anything out through the Van's tinted windows. Allister urged the vehicle smoothly past countless buildings of unknown purpose and origin. In the distance, the massive tower that made up the center of Apex's compound jutted into the dark sky in dread silence.

Normally, it would have been a straight shot to the main entrance, but the way was blocked by a chain link fence and orange hazard cones. Even a multi-billion dollar company could not avoid the inconvenience that came with laying down new asphalt.

"Sorry about that by the way." Lorette broke the silence suddenly as she leaned back to address the people riding behind her. "We like to take precautions here, and even I'm not exempt from them. As you can imagine, there's a great deal at stake here."

She resumed looking out the window and frowned. They were closer to the main building, in the sense that they were traveling down a corridor of storage units and shipping containers that hugged the side of the sky scraper.

"Are we even going the right way?" Her questioned drew a pointed look from Allister.

"I've done this like, six times today. Yes, we're going the right way. I'm going to take us to one of the side entrances. It'll put us closer to the lounge than the main entrance."

Lorette rolled her eyes but opted to not argue with the man. Instead she eyed the gloom surrounding the area critically, and muttered. "We should get more lights back here. I can't see a thing."

"It's all empty storage stuff isn't it? What could you possibly need to see-" His words cut off sharply as he slammed on the brakes and Lorette was jerked forward violently as the van came to a stop. She righted herself immediately and shot Allister a glare before shifting her gaze to the windshield.

It was a person. Armored and standing silently in the middle of the road. "See, this is what I'm talking about." She grumbled and Allister frowned deeply. "Okay I get it. You need to be able to see assholes standing in the middle of the road." The armored person still hadn't moved and stood with their back towards the vehicle. Lorette and Allister shared a confused glance before they resumed staring at the individual. It wasn't exactly suspicious for and employee to be out in the dark. Normally someone would be patrolling the area. But the armored stranger wasn't really doing much of anything and Lorette wondered if they'd zoned out completely.

Allister, ever the polite one chose to roll down his window and pop his head out to address the stranger. "Hello there! Buddy? Are you all right?" Lorette was significantly less patient than her assistant, a given considering the day that she'd had. But also when taking into consideration that one of her employees seemed to be slacking off right in front of her.

"If you want me to fire you, just say so." She nearly shouted through her own open window and Allister groaned quietly.

The person, if that was indeed what they were, turned slowly to face them. Their movements were heavy, bearing a stiffness that indicated a lack of feeling in their limbs. Lorette's eyes narrowed sharply and the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. She could not see the individual's face behind the metal of their helm, but there was something clearly unnatural about them. A thought made all the worse when it became clear that she could sense no Daemonic energies coming from them.

At first glance, nothing supernatural stood out about the person and they for all intents and purposes appeared normal. That didn't stop their entire torso, armor and all from splitting down the middle like the shell of a crab however.

People's bodies didn't spontaneously separate themselves normally. And if they did, Lorette was sure that a copious amount of blood would be involved during the process. There was none. There was definitely a person in there. Or what was left of one when taking the wet form where the skin had been flayed from muscle into account. The hairless being flopped forward at the waist, its legs still holding it upright as the armor they'd once been wearing writhed uncontrollably as if it were no more than a mass of eels. It expanded, growing taller and a viscous, black fluid clung to the inside of the separate halves like ropes of tar.

The metal that once protected the dead individual encased in it, took on a life of its own. Warped by forces beyond Lorette's understanding, but not so far as for her to presume they were anything but malicious. It could be nothing but alive, nearly two decades of dealing with whatever went bump in the night had taught her that. Whatever it was, it towered over the van, and took on a vaguely humanoid shape. What should have been one massive arm was nothing more than a rapidly crystalizing mass of black.

She was reminded instantly of old spearheads and knives made from flint and obsidian. Here was a blade to put all of those to shame. A cleaver nearly the length of the thing's body and wicked sharp gleamed in the headlights. The writhing thing, eventually wasn't writhing anymore. It stood there, dumbly. An empty being of twisted metal and a silent foulness that had no real name. It's legs had changed little, growing enough to accommodate its top heavy form but still remaining almost comically undersized in comparison. It lurched forward unsteadily, and Lorette watched in cold silence as the thing, whatever it was toppled over.

Almost. The flayed corpse, because she was positive that she was looking at a corpse, braced its sinewy arms against the asphalt and somehow managed to keep itself and the mass of steel barely upright. Out of all the things Apex kept under lock and key, Centaurs weren't counted among them. She was suddenly glad for it. The awkward mass of steel and flesh teetered drunkenly in the headlights, and somehow managed to right itself on two legs once more.

The thing groaned. Or at least she thought it did at first. But things dead on arrival did not have lungs. She realized then, in a quiet dread that the noise had come from what she'd thought was a corpse now jutting from the nameless thing's abdomen.

A bald head lifted itself weakly, as skeletal arms scrabbled for purchase against their metal prison. The half-person looked up and parted skinless lips as it groaned again. It's eyes, were both that and not at all. Lorette could have handled a complete lack of them. Or even a bloodied pair. But this was neither. Twin swirling lights, like small galaxies turned within the empty pits of the thing's hollowed sockets. Infinite pinpricks that denoted infinite possibilities. Infinite nightmares. The eyes had always been the windows to the soul, and before them then was bared a soul that had seen too much.

A shaking arm reached out in a pitiful facsimile of grasping for help. But it did not greet them with an open palm. A fist, and one wet, bony finger pointed at the van and the not person spoke in a rasping voice.

"Come forth. Come, and we shall be made whole again."

Lorette and Allister said nothing. Merely pulling their heads back into the van and rolling their individual windows up. Allister sucked his teeth, and grabbed ahold of the steering wheel.

"So I'm going to go ahead and back up now."

Lorette nodded, and watched as the combined thing and not person lurched forward threateningly. "Mmm hm. That's a good idea. Do that. Do it now please." He slammed on the gas, throwing the van into reverse and peeled away just as the thing's cleaver came down and clipped the front bumper. The distance between them widened, but the thing would not be ignored so easily.

The flayed being hanging from the metal hulk's abdomen,drew the standard issued blade that had managed to remain clasped to its waist in a single smooth motion. It stabbed downward, burying the blade to the hilt and drawing forth a fountain of the metal thing's accursed blood. It made no sound as its life force was spilled. It merely lurched forward blindly, its focus set only on its prey. The blackened blood spread and then became cursed, new life.

dddr7cq-6295fe3a-2c1b-4abd-8724-941fcfdcea6e.pngThey gnashed dripping fangs and chattered ceaselessly. Each one a horrific chorus of snarls. Five they went, bounding forward and leaving behind their master as they sought out new prey.

"What the fuck is that?!" Allister screamed as they sped backwards and away from the monstrosity. Lorette fumbled with the radio and shouted back at him. "How the hell would I know? I'm looking at the same exact shit you are!"

Brenda, wisely decided to leap to the back of the van with their passengers and climbed into the nearest person's shirt. It was not up for discussion. The Toad could do much, but she drew the line at swallowing hateful amalgams of metal and flesh.

A very smart move because soon after, the increasing sound of hellish yipping could be heard over the roar of the motor and Lorette groaned. "Are you fucking-Of course. Of course this shit always happens to me."

The twisted hounds were slowly gaining on them, and Lorette reached into her jacket to draw her sidearm. "Fucking Christ. It's every day with this shit." She hissed before removing the safety and rolling down the passenger side window. She leaned out, squinting against the rushing wind and took aim. The first shot whizzed just past the head of the lead hound, but the second hit the shoulder of another pulling up at its flank. The creature yelped in pain as the teeth in one of the countless mouths covering its body exploded into a spray of shards and black liquid. It fell, but its brethren paid it no mind and leaped over it and continued the chase.

Lorette fired a few more shots. Each one whizzing uselessly into the air or barely clipping one of their pursuers until the clip was emptied. She scoffed loudly and pulled her head back inside to grab at the Van's radio again. Blessedly, she managed to get it on despite her panic and shouted into the radio to be heard over the wind.

"This is Lècuyer requesting immediate assistance."

"Oh shit is that the Boss? Hey Boss!" A chorus of voices followed suit, each chiming in with a hello.

"Yes. Hi." Lorette growled in the face of her subordinate's pleasantries.

"I've got an Unidentified Manifestation on the East side of the main building. Shen, Humanoid with metallic tendencies. And five Facets. Shen, Quadruped." Lorette shouted in alarm as one of the hounds drew close and leaped at the hood of the van. It could find no purchase on the metal of the hood and soon was thrown off.

The radio meanwhile had exploded into a flurry of chatter before it died down. The voice that intitally greeted Lorette had taken on a stern tone, a sharp contrast to its chipper tone.

"Wranglers en route. We've got a containment unit on the way."

"No. I want a full dispersal. Labs can scrape samples off the asphalt."

One of the Hounds managed to clamber atop the storage units and bounded easily across gaps as it pursued the van. Closing the distance, it made the jump and landed heavily on the roof of the vehicle. Allister jerked the wheel in alarm, and Lorette struggled to hear the radio over the squeal of tires and the pounding on the roof.

Another hound drew closer to the passenger side of the van and lunged towards the window. Snapping jaws burst through the opening, nearly catching Lorette's shoulder and she gasped in shock. She refused to let her surprise rule her and reached out to grab the hound beneath the chin, where no extra sets of jaws could be found and gave it a hard shove out the window. A pained yelp erupted from one of the thing's mouths as it hit the asphalt and tumbled away, but the remaining three were still on their tail with the fourth desperately scrabbling at the top of the van in an attempt to get in.

In the distance, she could sense, more than see the dreadful thing's presence. It only grew closer and Lorette knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that if its hounds didn't kill them, it would.

The thing's hounds were indeed determined to try, that could not be understated. Finally, one was able to gimp their quarry. It darted forward, low to the ground with jaws opened impossibly wide. Lunging forward its countless fangs found purchase on the front left tire and tore a chunk out of it. The van spun out, and Allister tried desperately to keep it from crashing into either the side of the building or the wall of shipping containers surrounding them. They skidded to a noisy stop, and the hound on top of the van was thrown off with a solid thump. They were trapped. With one monstrosity beating at the back of the van and several more converging from the front it appeared that their demise was not far off.

Lorette pinched the bridge of her nose and squeezed her eyes shut and sighed lowly. "I really am going to have to get out of this damn van, huh?" She asked no one in particular. Cursing loudly, she slammed the door open and hopped out to be immediately set upon by one of the hounds. Lorette frowned as the thing leaped towards her, looking more like a woman who'd been minorly inconvenienced than one about to die. A hand reached towards her hip and there was a sudden gust of wind before all fell silent. The hound lay at her feat, cleaved neatly in two by the sword in her hand.

It was in no way the same as the one she'd wielded earlier. Lorette kept the blade close, bound in a black scabbard and tied at the hip. The metal of the blade did not gleam like polished metal. It was almost a matte grey, and under the light swirls of color patterned the length like an oil slick. Whatever metal it was forged from, it was of a kind that dragged what was once unkillable, into the realm of mortality.

She slammed the door shut, stepping over the quivering form of the rapidly fading hound and moved towards the front of the Van.

"Allister, deal with the one in the back and then help me with this."

"Already on it." He sighed before sliding out of the Van with a frown, taking the keys from the ignition. "This is going to just ruin my outfit." He mumbled.

He exited his side of the vehicle and huffed loudly. There was no squeezing past the van, wedged as it was in the narrow corridor of storage units, and so he settled for a vertical approach to the issue. He jumped, up and over, clearing the roof of the van in a single leap that would have proven impossible for even the most decorated Olympians. Perhaps it was for the best that Allister didn't concern himself with using his skills to collect medals. And for the Hound he immediately set himself upon, it was all for the worse.

The thing snarled hatefully and threw itself against the rear window as it tried to gain entrance. Its prey was tantalizingly close. Packed in with no escape and stinking of fear. The glass could stop a bullet, but it was rapidly buckling under the assault of a beast with too many mouths. The window began to splinter, and the hound's meal grew ever closer only to be swiftly ripped away. Or, in a sense, the beast itself was ripped away from its impending feast.

A gloved hand closed around the thing's nape as if it were no more than a misbehaving pup and yanked it back and away from the van. The Hound struck the asphalt with a furious yowl and scrambled quickly to its paws. Turning on its new prey with primary jaws bared, it made ready to lunge at the fool of a man that would soon become its meal. It never made it. Fool that he may have been, Allister also proved to be faster than the Hound was prepared for. The man's foot lashed out, lightning quick and caught the thing on the chin. If the hellish beast had anything resembling a thought process, it might have recognized the searing pain overtaking its senses and recognized a threat where prey once stood. But it seemed to have none. Or worse still, hatred had taken root in a mind that surely would have been filled only with the most bestial of considerations.

Had the Hound been anything but, it would not have lunged forward again after coming to its senses. It would not have pressed forward, even as Allister's hand shot forward to meet it. And it would not have found a crystalline lance shoved into its throat to come jutting out the back of its neck.

The beast fell over again, it's cries of pain more pronounced. It struck the ground with a heavy thud, thrashing in a steadily growing pool of its own cursed blood. Allister for his part seemed deeply unimpressed with the display. He sighed deeply as he bent down. A shoe crammed itself into struggling hound's mouth and in a shocking display of strength and brutality, he grabbed hold of the top of the thing's jaws and tore it off before tossing it aside carelessly. He kicked the prone body away and internally bemoaned the ruination of his clothing. His day officially ruined, Allister settled for turning his ire towards what threats remained, but not before freeing the hapless trapped inside the van.

With a scoff and a flippant wave, he unlocked the van's trunk and urged those inside to exit out the back and towards freedom.

"Quickly! Head towards the main building. Help should be on its way and with any luck Lorette and I should still be alive when they get here." His gaze narrowed and shot towards Silen. "Mr. Barakus as the longest standing employee here, you're in charge." He said before waving them off without another word. Bounding back towards the front of the van and towards Lorette, he came to stand beside her with Faendr manifesting hot on his heels.

The remaining hounds had become wary at the death of their kin. They paced agitatedly in front of the pair and Lorette tensed. The thing. The unliving thing and the not person melded to it shambled forward. Her eyes darted around the area and she cursed under her breath. "There's not enough room for me to manifest here." She said and Allister's lips pressed together in a thin line.

"Then this will be messy." He said plainly and Lorette nodded.

"Did you get everyone out?" She asked.

"They should be halfway to the main building if they took my advice. Do you think they'll show up for their first day tomorrow?"

"Oh god no. Absolutely not." Lorette chuckled. "Would you?"

Allister laughed easily along with her. "No, not after all of this."

The Hounds were done waiting. Growing bold in the presence of their master, they all lunged forward in unison. Another met the edge of Lorette's blade, howling in agony as it cut through its form in a spray of tarlike blood. The beast's howls were silenced shortly by another strike. Lorette withdrew the sword and stabbed downwards through the top of the hound's skull and it dropped heavily to the ground. At her side another found its demise under Faendr's hooves, crushed as if it were no more than a yapping Terrier playing at wolf.

The one that saw fit to attack Allister never even made it to him. Lorette caught a bright gleam out of the corner of her eye and turned just in time to watch the remaining hound topple weakly. Several crystalline spikes jutted from its chest, the sharpened stakes finding purchase deep in its flesh. Allister huffed and brushed off his jacket.

"Well that's one mess avoided." He gazed up at the remaining monstrosity. It swayed in an almost drunken manner, the not person grafted to its abdomen caught in the motions as it hung there. Lorette watched it closely, mind working a mile a minute as to how they might kill the damn thing with no help.

"Step aside, She who is Insignificant." It rasped suddenly, and Lorette's eyes widened in plain shock.

"I beg your God damn pardon?" She spat.

"Jesus Christ Lorette, this is not the time for you to be getting offended." Allister hissed and Lorette's gaze hardened.

"I'm a middle aged woman. I exist in a constant state of offense."

The flayed being reached towards it's withered neck, bony fingers curling to clasp at something hanging there before it was ripped away and flung to the ground. Lorette stared at the metal dog tags in cold silence. 'Dalton, Grant J.' was stamped clearly onto the metal, and Lorette's grip on her sword tightened.

"Would you strike down the ghosts of those who once served you?" The thing, once Grant asked her. Its swirling eyes bore right into her and Lorette could only stare back in silence.

"What good has your arrogance done them? You would see this to be the price of their loyalty? Rot, and suffering? It hissed, pointing a bony finger at her. It's other arm still held Grant's old sword limply and it swayed as the thing began to shamble forward once more.

Before it could take another step, there was a violent burst of wind and carried on it the roar of a beast. The flayed being's pointing finger sailed through the air, the rest of its arm attached to it and hit the ground with a wet thud. It stopped dead and stared silently at Lorette as black ichor dripped freely from the stump of where its arm once was.

"Any employee of Apex that has been found compromised by influences either mortal or supernatural, will be summarily executed without exception." Lorette stated loudly.

"Seriously it was in the contract I gave you when you signed on. You should know this."

"It was in the contract." Allister said with a nod.

The flayed thing let out another pained wheeze, its remaining arm raised with sword in hand. "Then let us taste of your stolen power." The flat of the sword came down and clanged loudly against the armored leg of the metal thing. Faendr's ears laid flat against his head at the sharp sound and he pranced nervously back and away as if ready to flee. Allister winced. Spotting movement, he watched in silent horror as the Hound he'd killed twitched violently before shambling to its feet. Faendr pranced back in alarm as the one he'd trampled began to knit its broken body back together.

"Okay, we are definitely in uncharted waters here. When have you ever seen a Facet reform that fast?" He asked Lorette, and she frowned deeply. "Never. We might be in a little trouble with this one."

The twisted pair chose that exact moment to lurch forward and Lorette deftly sidestepped as the thing's massive cleaver came down. Allister clenched and unclenched a fist before reaching out to make a swift lifting motion with his arm. A pillar of gleaming crystal burst from the ground just beneath the cleaver and threw the thing off balance. Lorette followed suit, leaving Allister to contend with the rapidly reforming hounds as her blade lashed out towards the withered remains of what was once Grant. It blocked her easily, a startling amount of strength contained in its emaciated form. She sneered in plain disgust as she got a closer look at it. Reddened flesh and muscle glistened wetly in what little light suffused the area. She'd still expected some blood, but there was none. Just the same, black, ichorous material dribbling off of it.

It made no sense to her. Potentia, the blood of Daemons ate through organic material. In an inert state, it could be handled safely. But flowing freely though a man's veins was impossible. It should have killed Grant. Though as she stared into the twin headlights of his eyes, Lorette figured that maybe it already had.

The thing shoved her back and she grunted. Above her the the massive cleaver was lifted high to come down upon her. It never made it. Wind had seemed to follow her everywhere that night, and it did so with almost divine purpose. A massive furred fist appeared from nowhere amidst a steadily increasing gale and caught the metal thing square in the chest. It was sent reeling back heavily and stabbed the cleaver into the ground to maintain its balance.

"Good thing I brought a friend too." Lorette said smugly, and the giant fist gave her a thumbs up before dissolving.

"Now get up. Show me if you're worth the time you've had me waste on you tonight.

Allister was left to contend with the remaining Hounds, and he wasn't happy about it. They bled far too messily for his liking, and with each new assault, the man saw his clothing further ruined. Enacting violence on them only just barely soothed his temper, but the act of killing wasn't quite as enjoyable when his victims didn't seem to understand why he was upset.

Faendr was of the same mindset, lashing out violently with his antlers and running a hound clean through as it was slammed into the side of a metal shipping container. It struggled weakly before falling limp and silent, and Faendr shook his head to dislodge the other Daemon from his antlers. The Stag's silver coat was spattered with blackened blood, and his expression was an exact mirror of Allister's in its irritation.

"I am tired of this." He grumbled and Allister nodded at the stag. The third Hound attempted to lunge at Allister while he was distracted , but quick as a flash he'd turned. A crystal lance jutted from the thing's back as it was skewered cleanly, and burst into a rapidly dissipating cloud of shimmering dust. He whirled suddenly in the van's direction cursing himself loudly.

"Shit! The other two we have to-" He was cut off as the Hounds began to rise once more and his eyes darted around the area swiftly. There would be no time to pursue. Not when the Facets reformed so swiftly. The Hound left dead at the front of the van had since escaped. And he could only assume that the one killed in the back had to. He only prayed that everyone had gotten a head start. They would not be able to escape on foot. Their Daemons had the potential to help. But none of their Handlers were armed or knew how to channel their power."

"Dear God I hope none of them decided to play the hero." Allister muttered as he once more set to killing the Hounds.

Reactions: Baddamobs
Silen spent most the ride in the van feeling annoyed.

Oh certainly, there wasn't any complaints about the van itself; comfy seats, warm air conditioning, and the gentle rocking sensation of momentum were all things he preferred to sitting in a stuffy room on the cusp of a panic attack because he was seeing the impossible occur right before him. But ride also gave him an opportunity to reflect, mostly on how much of an idiot he had just been.

Signing a contract that bound him to a mysterious group that, somehow, had a whole collection of real-life monsters was all well and good, but he should have a least spent some time reading the damn thing before he put his name on it. He had signed user agreements to phone companies with more caution than he had just displayed agreeing to work for a group that he still didn't fully have the full scope of. Though, to her credit, Lorette had actually been pretty thorough in explaining all the finer points of the being an Apex employee. That was definitely the first time the CEO of one of the most powerful companies in the world had actually explained to Silen the benefits of creating a balanced stock portfolio.

Sighing, Silen tried to put the matter out of his mind. It was clear he hadn't exactly been in the best state of mind during that whole event, having been thrown so far off balance by watching a talking stag stop a bullet in mid-air, but what was done was done. It would more productive to keep his mind on the present, and focus on what came next. Speaking of which…

Silen looked down, to the camera resting against his chest. He had been a little hesitant to throw the thing's leather strap around his neck, like it would become a live sneak and strangle him the moment he let his guard down, but for the moment the Vessel seemed content to sit where it did. There was still an odd 'presence' to the camera; Silen sometimes had the disquieting sensation that something was staring out from it's lens, like a great eye was peeping out through the glass, though he could exactly explain why. Other than that feeling, though, the camera hadn't done anything unusual since Silen had picked it up.

Silen wondered at the entity that supposedly remained hidden in this singular object. Did it have an appearance like that of an animal, like that frog Brenda, all silent hopping and inexplicable powers? Or perhaps it took the shape of something grander than that, like the stag that had protected Allister? But most of all, Silen pondered at it's power. Just what was such a being capable of? What would Silen be capable of…

It was just as that dangerous line of thought was starting to twist sweetly through Silen's mind that the side door of the van slid open, and Silen suddenly found a dog sniffing around him. Lip curling, Silen held back the urge to push or kick the damn thing away from him, folding his arms and staring daggers at the mutt as it snuffled around his seat. Only when it had scampered away did he finally relaxed his posture, muttering a curse under his breath. Nothing good had ever followed some dog sniffing at him. Though, he supposed he should just be glad he had made the sensible decision to only bring cigarettes with him today, and nothing more potent.

Still, Silen's mood lifted a little when he realized that with that inspection over and the van drifting lazily forward, they were officially beyond the near mythical Wall. The van's tinted windows and the general darkness of the late evening made it nearly impossible to take in the full view, but never the less Silen felt a small rush of satisfaction. He was currently in a place that much of the wider world felt unreachable, indeed had become a part of the very enterprise that had created it. Even if he was finding the truth of Apex's secrets stranger and more otherworldly than he would have ever expected, it was still true that had achieved something that had at once point felt entirely impossible to him. A smile crept up Silen's face – if only Boss could see him now…

There was the squeal of tires being forced to a stop, and the sickening sensation of Silen's seatbelt cutting into him. By the time he caught his breath, Silen was aware only that both Lorette and Allister were leaning out of their respective windows, shouting at something in the path of the now still van. Blinking, Silen leant around until he could just about glance between the front two seats, and through the van's front window. What he saw was, initially, a man staggering in the van's headlights.

It didn't take long for that to change.

How to describe the feeling of terror and disgust Silen felt as he witnessed the thing split in two and open itself? For a stretch all his thoughts ceased as every fibre of his mental capability took in the monster's flesh growing and lurching out, the putrid mass of it's body twisting out and over itself, it's massive arm-blade scraping against the ground with a sharp ring. But the worst of all was the human figure still buried in amongst the growths and mangled flesh: flashing eyes filled with too much light and yet an almost empty gaze, like something long dead was staring right through them. It's voice croaked out, a dying gasp that was rattling through twisted lungs that sustained itself for too long.

At last, Silen understood. He hadn't awoken from sleeping ignorance to a world filled now with wonder and possibility. He had been dragged from a pleasant dream into a reality that was a twisted nightmare.

The world lurched suddenly back into motion and focus – then Silen realised that was just the van.

Over the roar of the vehicle's engine, the great crash of the twisted being's blade being driven down and the shouting voices of Allister and Lorette, Silen was only vaguely aware of the fact he was screaming something. It was a panicked mixture of a yelp of pure fear and a begging for them to hurry. The volume and frequency of Silen's shouting increased as, born from the dark essence of it's being, the creature birthed more horrors, almost dog-like but made up of entirely too many sets of mouths and filled with blind hunger for the sorry souls in the van. Amidist the chaos Silen was vaguely aware of a green blur – Brenda? – flying past him as the van hurtled down the street, but he couldn't afford to tear his eyes away from the barking and snarling monster that now chased them down.

Too much happened for Silen to follow with any accuracy, panicked and yelling as he was. The loud crack of gunfire was followed by the roof of the van coming under direct assault, razor claws scraping holes in the metal. One of the 'dogs' got close enough to jam it's horrid maw through a window, only Lorette's sheer lack of fear affording her the chance to force it away. Then Silen felt it – the van skidding uncontrollably as they lost a wheel, only his seatbelt saving him from being thrown completely off by the wild motion that followed. For reasons he was entirely sure of, Silen gripped at the camera hung around his neck, the ancient thing suddenly feeling almost burningly hot in his hands. He was still gripping it as one of their pursers was biting and clawing at the rear of the van, threatening to rip the metal apart and tearing them asunder in like manner.

So focused on that, Silen almost missed Lorette stepping out of the van, and suddenly one of the uncanny barking monsters was silent. There was no way for Silen to miss Allister's swift dispatchment of the beast at the rear of the van though; the way the man just ripped the thing's jaw off with his bare hands would be have been much more unsettling if it wasn't for the fact Silen was so thoroughly glad to see the thing dead.

Silen tumbled out after everyone else, eying the still twitching body the monster that had nearly killed them. It was only as Allister's voice cut through the hoarse barking still coming from the other side of the van that Silen focused.

"Quickly! Head towards the main building. Help should be on its way and with any luck Lorette and I should still be alive when they get here. Mr. Barakus as the longest standing employee here, you're in charge."

"I- Me-!?" Silen spluttered for a moment, before taking a breath. Fear was still gripping at every part of him, making his body shake, but Silen forced himself to still. While the target of the fear was unknowable, he had been in enough situations where his very life depended on him remaining calm that he knew there was only two choices: clear his mind or die. "R-right. I mean, yes sir!"

Taking a breath, Silen took one glance at the unfortunate crew around him, and gestured an arm forward, to the lights of the main tower shining out of the night like beacons of salvation.

"Pick up your legs and get ready to run! Stick together, help anyone who's lagging and pray to god that we all live long enough to need therapy for this!" Silen reaffirmed his grip at the camera, squared his shoulders, and launched himself forward. "Let's move!"

Wishing he had worn something more practical than his one good suit, Silen dived into the dark stretch of night that sat like a shroud between them and safety. He didn't dare look back, not even to check if the others were even behind him; even if they were his responsibility, he feared if he looked back and caught even glance of the monsters they were leaving behind, the power might go out from his legs. He just had to pray they all had the good sense to follow him, a poor shepherd for this motely flock though he was.

Time lost meaning in that mad dash. Silen didn't count the seconds, or even the steps he took as he ran, panting through the dark unlit corridors of concrete and asphalt. All he measured was the distance to the grand tower that was their destination, something which seemed to grow closer only in inches rather than feet. He thought he heard the heavy thud of the steps of the others around him, though maybe that was just the sound of his own hurried footfalls.

A part of him was whispering to him how much of a damn fool he was. He just had to believe he had been meant for greater things than bodyguarding rich idiots. He just had to get drunk of the idea that, for once in his damn life, he might have actually had the power to make a change or at least make something of himself. Look where that thinking had got him – running through narrow streets, his certain death behind him, his life only saved because others better and more potent than himself had protected him. A scene right out of his childhood, only the thing behind him was a literal monster instead of a figurative one.

Silen bit the edge of his tongue. This wasn't the time for this; he could berate himself once he wasn't being chased by a beast with fifty damn mouths.

They ran on. The group had been forced to make several turns, the various storage buildings making their path a maze. Silen had followed what he prayed was the most direct path to the main building, but the narrow streets and tall buildings were making his sense of direction twisted. He'd lost sight of the main building, it's lights hidden behind the high walls of the facilities around them, and their path had become somehow narrower. They were on some sort of foot path between two buildings, boxes all around them. They could have maybe stood three abreast, if they weren't all running.

Silen was about to call for a stop, to try and take a second to get a sense for where they were before they invariable ran into a dead end, when he heard it. Behind the sound of their own footsteps, and two sets appeared; fast and feral, followed by a distorted wheezing of panting breath.

"Shit – SHIT!" Silen twisted around, just in time to see one of the hellish hounds from before bound around the corner, maws seeming to almost grin in the low light as it quickly closed the distance. It's body almost scrapped against the walls of the tight space, and it battered aside boxes like they were made of paper as it forced it's away right onto their rear.

Silen was about to shout for everyone to pick up the pace, when there was a scrapping and scrambling noise from above them. Silen looked up just in time to see a second hound launch itself from the roof of one of the buildings, landing without grace before them.

Silen skidded to a stop. Heart freezing, Silen realized they were as good as dead – the beasts had them trapped.

The hound before them wasted no time, twisting around, several maws opening as it charged him down.

Silen watched motionless, eyes wide, as the monster loomed right over him -

There was sudden bloom of smoke, right before Silen. It was no ordinary smoke; it was a thick blackness, more of a total absence of light then any kind of gas, and it hovered and twisted over a wind that didn't exist. The very next instance, that smoke drew into itself, warped, and there was all at once a body right before Silen.

With a crashing counter charge, the thing threw it's wide form forwards, it's squat body twisting to shove a large crystal like shard right into dog's path.

There was a heavy and dull impact as the taken off guard beast was hit backwards, a noticeable (but unfortunately non-fatal) cut along it's side. Scampering back, it let out a chorus of growls at the entity that now stood between it and Silen.

Silen blinked, amazed that he was both still alive and at the strange thing that had just protected him.

It was mostly like a spider, with four long but thin limbs propping it's heavy, almost bulbous abdomen up off the ground, another set of limbs protruding from near it's razor-sharp mouth-pincers. It's body was partly covered in strange almost gauze like material, draping over it's form like a funeral shroud, and when it twisted around to face Silen, several sets of glowing green eyes locked gazes with him.

"Hmm. I hope you do not intend to make a habit of having me saving your life, Lost Silen. I fear I will not be very good at it, in the future." The creature's voice was oddly calm, like a wizened old man speaking to a close grandchild.

"Wha…what?"

"I am afraid introductions will have to wait. For the moment concertante on the foes before us."

The entity was right: the hounds had been surprised by his appearance, and had briefly halted, growling and prowling at the edges of the group, but were edging closer with each moment.

"I have taken them aback, and given them pause. But if they attack in earnest, I will not be able to withstand them." The spider entity let out a low chattering noise. "Retreat remains your best option."

Silen looked frantically around, trying to see just how they intended to escape. There was a set of doors to one side – the side entrance to one of the storage facilities, and a wide and squat set of windows on the other. On the other hand, would running even work? It had been proven the damn things were quick.

"If anyone has any suggestions," Silen muttered, "Now's the time."

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Lucy​

Walls. A fantastically disquieting thing. Mostly, it seemed, walls were used as a measure of keeping things out… but in some instances it was what they kept inside that challenged the nerves. It had not escaped Lucy's attention, distractions aside, that what they had seen in that little office space was, at best, supernatural. Yet those creatures had been held at bay by mere items; a lapel pin hardly a maximum security prison. What then could be so awful that it needed to be kept at bay behind thick walls of steel?

She would have liked to ask, and in the back of the van the question poised on her lips, ready as the door slid open. Somehow she had doubts the security dog could answer, and even if its handler could, Lucy found herself frozen in that moment, all too suddenly aware of how threatening the situation appeared to be. For the second time in just a short while she half seriously wondered if down the line she'd gone completely nuts…

But the dog did it's duty, no trouble seemed to present itself and the van moved forward again, bits of conversation, dull small talk that barely registered in her brain. She hadn't been fully prepared when the van lurched to a sudden stop and she found her hand gripping the arm of the woman beside her to keep from tumbling out of the seat.

"What the--"

A tingling sensation crawled along her spine, fingers twitching against her legs as she heard, rather than saw the commotion taking place outside the van. In an instant they were flying backwards, swinging broad and buckling back the way they had come. There was a deafening shriek as, losing a tire, the van fishtailed sharply, nearly tipping before coming to a terrifying stillness.

Muffled sounds broke from outside the van doors, and for near an eternity, the tumult responded before, with a groan of metal hinges, the van doors were yanked open.

"Quickly! Head towards the main building. Help should be on its way and with any luck Lorette and I should still be alive when they get here." At Allister's urgent declaration, most of them had risen and with the appointment of authority that Lucy couldn't have cared less about, the pretty-boy led them out into the open.

Inexplicably, the idea of a child covering their eyes during a scary moment came to mind as Lucy left the van's cage. But no measure of juvenile attempts at avoidance would block out the gut wrenching sounds of the creatures. Racing through darkness, glad her years as a dancer had lent decent lungs and strong legs, she did her best to keep up with their interim leader, but the ever present dread roiled as she could feel, more than hear, the creatures hot on their heels.

Then all at once, they weren't running. Skidding to a stop, swearing as she nearly collided into the suit-clad figure, she twisted her form, eyes canting up to see their gruesome pursuers like wildcats, prowling above them.

One leapt and was met by unexpected opposition, as from seemingly out of nowhere what appeared to be a massive spiderlike being emerged. Another frantic oath escaped her as Lucy stumbled back, convinced their end had come. And hell if it was fair...

Not today, young miss.

A pulse of heat shot through her, along her arms and neck, down through her wrists, increasingly warm as it touched each fingertip flooding with a bright red glow… The incandescence swelled into a swirling fog like substance, and staring in disbelief, Lucy took another step back.

Dear girl, put your hands out.

The agonizingly calm voice nagged at the back of her mind and looking up, Lucy caught sight of one shadowy figure arching along a storage crate behind them, before it launched forward. Instinct pooled and as her hands shot up to block the assault, that shimmering fog bloomed, swelled to her full height, higher even and wide as three of her. A guttural yelp escaped, truncated, as the fiend smacked into the shield, its momentum enough to send it bouncing back into the metal crate with a clang, before falling still. Her hands dropped to her sides, the shield splitting into an explosion of red sparks.

Staggering back towards the others, she spun at the plea for suggestions. They wouldn't outrun the beasts for long, but Allister's instructions had been clear…

"There!" She pointed to the doors a little ways off, "We can hole up until Allister and the boss catch up."

TAGS || @Baddamobs, @Ramjammer, @kharmin

Bethany fumed inwardly. Sitting in the passenger's seat of Kenji's sedan, she had her chin propped up in her hand while her gaze watched the city wiz by. For now, keeping her eyes completely off of him was all she could do to keep her anger from boiling out to the surface. The thought of yelling at him was simultaneously pleasing and uncomfortable. He was one of her closest friends…perhaps her best friend. She understood his intentions. But his methods? His actions? To go behind her back like that! And how in the world did he get all her private details to complete the application—well assuming it required those, as many applications do! Bethany's face scrunched up into a tight wince. Kenji…you lovable asshole.

Earlier that day, a loud knock came at the front door. Bethany didn't notice, being in the middle of editing footage for her next upload, her headset was on with lofi pumping into her eardrums. Her roommate, Lynn, answered the door being the only one close by.

"Oh hey Kenji. She's upstairs."

"The usual?" Kenji grinned.

Lynn nodded, moving aside as Kenji rushed past and darted up the stairs. He tiptoed over to her door, which was ajar. Sucking in a quick breath, he jumped in, throwing his arms up in the air and burst into obnoxiously loud singing.

"HAAAAPPPY BIRTHDAY TOOOO YOOOOOUUU!!! HAAAPPPY BIRRRTHDAAY TOOOOOOO YOOOOOOUUU!!!"

Bethany lifted about three inches off her seat, jumping up from fright. Her yelp mixed with his tune for a moment before her other roommates groaned their displeasure, shutting them up. Her lumbar pillow connected with his face with a soft whoof, and he snickered feeling victorious.

"Damnit Kenji! Don't scare me like that!"

He hopped over in front of her, grabbing the armrests of her office chair. He grinned ear to ear as he loomed over her.

"Just spit it out, you creep!"

"I have a surprise for the birthday girl!"

"Kenji. I told you not to—"

"Nooo! You're coming with me!" He snatched her wrist and yanked her out of her chair. In a giddy blur of motion, Bethany was out of the house, in the new jacket her mom had sent her, and strapped into Kenji's car. They spent the rest of the afternoon hopping around their favorite places in the entertainment district.

They were enjoying some coffee outside of Beth's favorite little cafe, when she took a long sip and gave Kenji a thankful smirk. "Okay. I'll admit it. This was a nice surprise. Thanks for a fun day out."

"Ohhh…this was just the cherry on top, Bea." He was positively beaming.

Beth shook her head. "What did you do?"

This was answered by him holding up his phone to her. He had an email opened on the screen for her to read. A bit skeptical at first, she obliged, taking his phone in her hands to see better. The email read:

Hello Ms. Bethany Atwood,

Congratulations. Your application has been approved. Please see the attached PDF for further instructions. We look forward to seeing you at orientation next week.

M Quinn
HR Representative
Apex Implementations

Bethany stared at the phone quietly for longer than Kenji was comfortable with. He probed her. She slid his phone back to him across the table. Her face was a tangle of different emotions. Her friend refused to let the mood drop, however.

"Aw, Bea! This is your big chance! See, I'll drive you to the orientation and we can get coffee afterwards." He was smiling still and opened the PDF. Rereading it, his stomach turned to lead and fell through the floor. "Oh shit!"

Having no time to explain he rushed them back to his car. He got them back on the road, trying not to speed too much. "Super sorry Bea! I thought orientation was tomorrow! We're already late!"

Bethany sighed, and shut her eyes. She kept them closed half hoping to somehow fall asleep and wake up not on the way to the eyesore of Arnvista. Kenji thankfully was too stressed out about missing the appointment to notice the silence between them. She reopened her eyes upon feeling the car draw to a stop. They opened to the view of a nondescript building, labeled 'Building C'. Kenji told her to wait in the car while he rushed out. She watched him jog over to the door and give it a hurried knock. A few moments later, it was opened by another employee. They had a quick exchange, in which Bethany could hear Kenji swear in distress. She merely sighed and shook her head. So she missed the orientation completely. How sad.

Kenji slammed the door as he deftly rebuckled and thrust the car back into gear. "Ohhh no, you aren't gonna miss this Bea! I'll break that wall if I have to." His good humor was gone, replaced by frazzled determination.

They drove—make that sped—to the security checkpoint at the Wall's gate. He swerved into what he decided was a parking spot, ripped his ID badge off his rear-view mirror and rushed out to speak with the security team. Bethany got out this time, mostly to get some fresh air and to stretch her legs out a bit.

"You have to let her through!" Kenji demanded and showed the email to the guard before him. "I made her miss the orientation, but she's supposed to be in that group!"

Bethany sighed. It was a nice thought, but she needed to end this fiasco before it escalated any further. She quietly walked over to the group, hoping to figure out a quick way to diffuse the situation and coax Kenji into taking her home. Her nerves were kicking in, as the two story wall seemed to loom over them ominously in the growing dark. She blinked. In the corner of her eye a blur of white screamed by. Snapping her head toward it—toward the gate—it was gone.

Julian had been staying in the background so far, taking on his preferred role of distant observant. He'd trailed after the rest of the group, mind whirring and ticking away as he considered just what it was that he might learn. The following demonstrations had taken him aback, to say the least, but intrigued him deeply.

However, he said nothing, as the other did their fair share of talking, and Julian found he had nothing he wished to (or felt the need to) impart. He read the contract thoroughly, and waited patiently for his turn to sign. He watched carefully as the others chose their items, but there was no further mysticism observable to him. No more toads, or stags, or whatever other manner of creatures manifested from the new hirees' obtained items – or vessels, as the proper term was.

He was one of the last people to approach the carts, and he did so calmly, noting the items methodically, though swiftly. As his gaze wandered freely over the collection, he processed mere impressions of the things available. He definitely wanted something unassuming, functional, comfortable, and small. Something that would fit him.

Even with those criteria, the selection was wide and varied. So, Julian had to rely on feeling, which was…not optimal. Most of the displayed vessels didn't invoke any odd or unexpected emotions. If it hadn't been for the provided context of their arrangement and the boss' words, he likely couldn't tell they were unusual in any way – besides being antiques exhibited so casually, of course.

When his gaze was arrested by a certain wristwatch, and a shiver worked itself up his spine, Julian concluded, Ah, this must be it. He put in on besides his older…older-by-years-of-possession watch. Despite feeling a presence of Another, however, the being within did not emerge; perhaps because of his expectations that it would not, perhaps because of a whim of theirs.

He brushed the pad of his thumb along the Watch's face, and felt a hum of acceptance trickle directly into his awareness. A primitive form of telepathy, perhaps? The amusement-affirmation from Them lent credence to that hypothesis.

The fingers of his right hand kept a firm grip upon his left wrist for the remainder of the conversation, and he wrung them round and round when it came to the question of his next of kin. Not my parents, certainly…But there was no one else, and so he hesitantly inked an X on that section.

He hadn't expected the possibility of so immediate a demise, somehow. When he'd previously thought as to what a position within Apex might entail, questionably moral experiments were brought to mind, certainly. But being on the frontline? Well. That Power the boss mentioned better be useful, or his stay here would be remarkably short.

Julian grimaced, but aside from the grim realization there was a…the best he could describe it as was a matter-of-fact sort of comfort from the Being, as if with them alongside, his life would be safeguarded for a while yet.

Julian thought wryly that they'd yet have to see how accurate that was, but he was no longer despairing quite so much. After all, with a supernatural being on their side, who wouldn't feel better?

He followed into the van, sinking happily into the leather seat. Now this is the sort of accommodation he'd been expecting from such a prestigious company. He closed his eyes, and rested – he still had an abominable headache, caused by all the sword-banging and gun-blasting in that office. His ears were still faintly ringing with it, but the ride was pleasant enough.

At least, it had been for a short duration. The first interruption was in the form of dogs, upon which Julian directed a cold, disgusted glance. He did not trust the creatures – or rather, even with so supposedly professionally trained canines, he did not trust their trainers entirely. Human bias was difficult to entirely dispense with, after all, and such a thing affected the dogs' loyalty and reactions. In the end, they found nothing – whether because no one had anything suspicious, or because their owners did not suspect anyone to have something.

Then, they were behind the wall. Julian peered into the darkness, but saw nothing of interest. This is why he once again rested his eyes.

The second interruption came in the form of an unexpected obstacle on the road. Irritated, Julian gazed at it. However, the scene soon turned into one straight from a horror movie. If he hadn't been used to cutting open human corpses from his medical studies, he might have even thrown up. As it was, he did feel queasy due to the sheer sense of wrongness at the sight. The creature split apart, exploded into supernaturally carcinogenic growths, and flopped its previously human host about its waist round and round grotesquely.

It stumbled towards them drunkenly. Then it spoke. God, was this some unholy merging of person-supernatural creature? Is this the fate that awaited them all if they used their powers incorrectly? Or was it merely some form of a parasite? Julian hadn't a clue what it meant by being made whole, and for once, he wasn't sure if finding out would be worth it.

At Allister's abrupt driving maneuvers, Julian was thrown slightly forward – the seatbelt held him firmly back, of course, but it was by no means a comfortable experience. He clenched his teeth and grabbed onto the seat with both palms.

He had to switch position from sit to covering his ears when Allister screamed, and his eyes flew open. He'd not realized till then that he'd closed them again. He saw what the fuss was about; some monstrous dogs had appeared as well.

There was more commotion, more screaming. Julian disassociated for the most of it. He was brought out of it by a warm cloak settling upon in, and a coaxing urge for him to get up, and out. He opened his eyes, and saw no cloak. He did still feel as if a protective garment had been set over him, one that muffled all sensation to a bearable level. He assumed this was the Being's doing.

Thanks to that, he was able to scramble out of the van, and run after Silen at full speed. He did look back here and there, just to check if they were followed. They were not.

Though, given that they were eventually cornered by two hounds, he might have simply not seen their pursuers. In the moment that they most needed it, Silen manifested a spider, which gave them a breather. However, Julian wasn't the only one doubtful this was enough leeway for them to run away. Lucile produced a shield, and directed them towards a door.

Julian followed her direction gladly, scurrying through it. He lingered just inside the gateway, however, peeking outside as his heart raced, pounding on the inside of his ribcage. He though he could manifest his Being as well, but it was also keeping him relatively calm and functional right now. He wasn't sure if bringing it out would revert him to a panicked state, and thus he did not dare risk doing so.

Run. Run. Find them. Find them. Prey is fast. Be faster. Prey is strong. Be stronger. Too strong, too fast. Too many. Flee? Flee! No fight. Fight!

You feel yourself falling again. Body torn, and life force spilled freely on the ground. You rise, only to be sent tumbling once more. You ebb and flow, like waves on the beach. You are flowing, thrashing. You are powerful. But you break. So often, so pitifully. You break against hard crystal. Against sharp steel. You break against their unerring resolve.

You rise again. You will fall one dozen times and rise once more. They break you. They cleave you in two. They hate you. But you rise.

Claws reaching forward yet again. Fangs gnashing, you try to tear the life from them. To break them as they have broken you countless times before. You can rise and fall forever. They can only fall but once. But once. All that you need is to fell them but once.

Why won't they fall?

You were told. By who? You were promised. But when?

One time. One time.

A part of you not there. Not far, but not near gives chase You smell terror, taste it like phantom wind. A promise. A victory.

They run, shadowed by things with no names. Watched by things whose intentions you do not know.

They are like you. But not. Not a part of you. But it is.

They are slow. A victory. You lunge again, teeth ready. Something hard meets them, and they fly away. Fleeing your jaws as if they too were prey.

You have fallen again. How many times will you fail?

A piece of you gives chase. They are fast. You can be faster. Close. They are close. You have more jaws. More teeth. More hatred. You are close. Your prize is near.

A prize not of blood. But something else. Who was it that offered this to you?

It matters not. You find prey. Just as quick, you become it. Something very much not you, and not at all unlike you lunges from the dark. Big! Too big! Fewer teeth, fewer jaws, but many more legs. Strong like you. Hateful like you. Not prey like you.

Wrong. This is wrong. Why? Who told you this?

A glimmer. Hardness. Your way is blocked. You are felled again. You have fallen so much. Your body cannot tire. But the soul you never had begins to grow weary. Prey is close. If only you could grab hold of them. You must take hold of them. You must. There is a reason. Prey, but not prey.

You are empty. You can be made full. You are broken. You can be made whole.

Somewhere close, you climb. Another body given to the chase. Your prey is close. It wavers. It fears. It can die. It will die. You can make them fall. You promised.

Who did you promise? Why?

There is another you. Unseen. Unheard. Somewhere far. But it is you? It is all you. They are all you.

You must be made whole before all else breaks.

Higher. Higher. You see them. So small beneath you, as they should be.. You hear them. Breaths ever more labored. Fear in the air. Theirs. Now yours. You fall again. Something strikes you, small and fast. You never see it. You only hear it. A crack. The smell of hot metal, and something you. You fall. Your prey runs.

"Nailed it!" An armored woman whoops as she lowers her rifle. The shot had been relatively easy, even with the added challenge of shooting between several moving targets. Of course, she could only attribute that to the Falcon fluttering down to perch on her shoulder. Zweek was a good Daemon. A Falcon's eyes only saw what was important and discarded the rest. Anne never missed, but she knew that the random assortment of people taking shelter between the containment units would be less than impressed.

And judging by his stony silence, neither was her superior. In fairness, it was often hard to tell if Jakob had any other moods beyond disappointment, as he never really displayed any others. The helmet covering his face wasn't helping either, but something in his body language and the way he stared silently in her direction told Anne that he was, at minimum, unamused.

Even his Daemon looked disdainful. But cats were good at that anyway, even the large sabre toothed ones.

Jakob said nothing, probably out of necessity. But most likely out of the knowledge that he'd be wasting his time reprimanding Anne at that moment and instead turned his attention back the group hiding within the confines of the Storage Unit. Even with the limited information he could glean from their boss, he knew well that they were new hires. Guards stationed at the wall were quick to inform everyone beyond it of their coming. Which was great, otherwise they'd have to shoot them all and given the evening they'd all had, it would have been adding insult to injury.

They'd been easy enough to find. They were the only people on site being chased down by a pack of freak show dogs for starters. Zweek had gone to scout ahead and spotted the little group almost immediately. Based on the fact that they seemed to run with no clear direction in mind, he'd been quick to report back to Jakob. He knew as well as anyone what kind of maze they'd been caught in, and only hoped that they wouldn't get eaten before help arrived.

Anne had scaled the Storage Units in short order, giving herself a better vantage point. And not a moment too soon. The wayward hires had their backs to the wall, literally. A single Daemon was all that stood between them and a gory demise, and she'd known instinctively that it would not be enough. Pulling the trigger had never been easier.

"Morris. Hrosvir with me." Jakob barked. Another armored individual and the large Bear Daemon next to him snapped to attention immediately. Jakob urged the Sabre-toothed cat he sat astride forward, only taking the time to bark out another order at those who remained before they disappeared into the dark. "Get those people inside, and patched up if need be." Anne shot a two-fingered salute at the man's retreating back, and groaned inaudibly. She'd been hoping for more target practice, not to be stuck babysitting. Zweek chirped sympathetically on her shoulder and rested a wing atop her head in a facsimile of patting it. The Falcon was clearly trying his best to comfort her, even though he lacked the appropriate limbs to do so.

Anne scoffed down at the people huddling near the door of the storage unit. "Well, don't just stand there gawking. Get your asses in gear!" She pointed them back in the direction that they'd inadvertently come in from. "That way. Lester and Autumn can look you over and if you're good to move, we can head on back."

The narrow corridor of metal containers widened considerably once all were clear of the dead end.

sUB818S.jpgA wiry man and a rather large Wolf Daemon awaited the group and regarded everyone with pointed interest. The Daemon's nose twitched visibly, and concern marred her canine features. Like her Handler, Autumn handled first aid. It well suited her warm and maternal nature, and Daemon and Human alike were quick to seek her help when injured.

A quick scan told her they were all relatively unharmed. At least physically. They wouldn't escape mental scarring so easily. Autumn pushed those dour thoughts aside, and instead busied herself by checking over everyone with a level of professionalism and care that seemed strange for a giant wolf. But if anyone had complaints, the Daemon paid them no heed. She was there to make sure they were all in one piece.

"Is anyone else hurt? Don't be shy, dears, I can get you patched up in a flash." She said kindly.

They were all lucky. In ways they could probably imagine with minimal effort. Their pursuers would have made quick work of them all had they got ahold of them. Autumn knew intimately the catastrophic injuries a Daemon could subject the human body to. In her centuries of living, it had never gotten any easier to deal with.

A sharp screech from Zweek pulled the Daemon out of her reverie and she whipped her head around to peer into the darkness. She'd expected another Manifestation to come bounding towards them. Reports said that there were five but she could see nothing in the dark.

Her nose told a different story altogether.

How Daemons smelled to each other was indescribable in human words. The best that Autumn, or any Daemon with a nose had explained it was that the scent carried by their kind wasn't an aroma indicative of anything with an actual smell coming in contact with their forms. Nor did Daemons produce a natural scent all their own. What Autumn smelled was a defined existence where once had been empty space, she then knew without seeing that it had been filled.

Above them on the Storage Unit, Anne's body suddenly tensed as she bore witness to what Autumn could only speculate on. She hadn't expected was for the Hounds she'd shot to jerk to their feet and start shambling around as they attempted to gain their bearings. As Facets, they should have stayed down for at least fifteen minutes. Hell, they should have dispersed altogether. She'd chalked their lingering forms up to the apparent weirdness of the night, as she wasn't paid to do any significant thinking. That's what the Labs were for. With that in mind, Anne sucked in a breath and took aim once again. Shoot first and ask questions later. Time seemed to slow as everything around her faded away. All that remained were her targets, as clear as day. It was all that mattered. She pulled the trigger and once and then twice, each Daemon struck square between where their eyes should have been and slumping to the ground with pained yelps.

"Hey Lester, get those people looked at and let's go. The Boss hates us wasting bullets and these things aren't staying down." She nearly shouted. Already the things were twitching as they fought to reconstruct themselves once again. Anne tensed. She knew she could shoot them as much as she wanted, but eventually the things would be on everyone at the speed they moved. She quickly took stock of their situation. She had a group of newbies and their Daemons who could probably be helpful on their own, but throwing them into harm's way without evidence of their capabilities wasn't an option. Besides that, they were ordered to make a retreat. She knew that Jakob and the rest could kill the main body, but that wouldn't be soon enough.

Getting to the main building where they could hunker down and safety was really the only option. Anne groaned loudly and scrambled down towards the ground and approached the small group. Drawing her standard issued blade. She tossed it to the long-haired man standing among them, as he was the sole uniformed member within the group. Even if it was his first day behind the wall, he was still a long standing employee if Apex and that meant a heap of responsibility that she knew he wouldn't want. "Eventually those things are going to get within stabbing range." Already she could hear claws scrabbling against the asphalt and panting breaths from just beyond the wall of Storage Units.

"They usually come at you teeth first, so thrust and twist. You'll get it in the chest when it leaps at you." She barked, not allowing the young man time to decline her offer. They were all officially employees of Apex, whether they liked it or not. It was time for them to earn their keep.

She drew her sidearm and held it out for another person to take. "If anyone here knows how to shoot, do it. These are lower caliber than what I've been using. But a less effective bullet is better than none. Hurry up! We'll cover the rear while the rest of you get moving." She barked, jerking her head toward the main building. It would be slow going, but help was waiting for them at the end of the gauntlet. Once they got inside the building, they'd be in the clear.

"Jakob had better hurry the fuck up." Anne hissed under her breath.

Jakob expected a lot of strange things. So when they approached the van that clearly belonged to the group of people along with the Boss and her assistant, he'd wasted no time in ordering Hrosvir to smash it. The bipedal Polar Bear gladly obliged, lifting his massive war hammer and swatting the vehicle aside as if it weighed nothing at all. Some measure of collateral was to be expected, but that didn't stop Allister from complaining all the same.

"Oh, come on, not the van! I don't want to fill out a report for that too!" He shouted in plain exasperation. Despite his need to express his disdain for their backup, Allister had the presence of mind to kick a Hound that was edging too close square in the face. It was bowled over with a pained yelp and it scrabbled to its feet before darting out of the man's reach. Between Allister and Faendr, the beasts were quickly learning that the pair weren't easy prey. The appearance of more people and Daemons only made them increasingly nervous. They were outnumbered and outmatched. Instincts were weighing out over whatever silent order they'd been given by their master, and they slunk further away from the source of danger. Jakob scoffed, clearly unimpressed.

"So this is what you've been doing? They're like puppies."

"Mean puppies." Allister shot back, eyeing the steadily retreating hounds. Facets didn't display any intricate thought processes. They were given an order, and would carry it out until told otherwise. They certainly didn't display fear, even when outnumbered. It had long since become apparent that what they were dealing with was well beyond an anomaly.

"All the more reason to kill them." Jakob thought to himself. He wasn't as well versed in the science of Daemons as some. But he knew how to hurt them, and the Boss didn't seem keen on keeping them alive. He really couldn't have asked for a simpler task.

Speaking of their belligerent employer, Lorette was still locked in combat with...whatever the hell she was fighting. That was something Jakob hadn't expected, and he decided there and then that asking questions would only serve to confuse and upset him. Theirs was definitely a situation left for the Research department to puzzle over.

"Dreadfang and I will deal with the mutts." Jakob said, shooting a look at Allister. "Can you corral these things?" He asked, and Allister nodded curtly. "With your help, yes we can do that."

"Good." Jakob grunted, jumping from Dreadfang's back and hefting the large polearm he carried in one hand. The man was certainly an oddity in that regard. Swords were common, but apparently Jakob wasn't happy unless he was doing as much physical damage to his enemies as humanly possible. Allister was almost positive the man was a warrior from a time long forgotten trapped in the modern day with the way he behaved.

"Morris, Hrosvir. Help the Boss lock that thing down. She wants a full dispersal, so once its pinned put it down." Jakob ordered, waving the pair away with nary another word. If there was one thing the pair was good at, it was forcing their foes to buckle. Combined, they should have no problem getting the issue under control.

"All right pretty boy." Jakob said, drawing a raised brow from Allister. "Let's get started."

"Right." Allister began, raising a wall of gleaming crystal to block the narrow path back to the main building. The van had done a pretty good job of that, but with their help's dynamic entrance he had to make do.

"And while I appreciate the compliment, I'd hardly say that I look pretty now." The blonde-haired man continued. Jakob took in Allister's disheveled appearance and snorted in amusement.

"Yeah, you do look like shit." He conceded, much to the other man's chagrin. Jakob swung his polearm with deadly efficiency, hewing one hound almost in two and sending its ruined corpse sprawling. Dreadfang swatted at another and sent it howling to the ground as its cursed blood flowed freely from the newly open wounds clawed into its side. Allister and Faendr were quick to raise walls, obstructing the Hounds as they reformed and tried to fan out. They were running out of space, and they were running out of time. They darted back and forth in an increasing panic, sometimes colliding and bowling each other over in their haste to escape. Jakob hummed thoughtfully as he watched them.

"They really are different from what we've seen. I don't like it." He finally stated. Allister nodded while keeping his focus on corralling the hounds with Faendr. "Yeah. Neither do I. It means nothing good when they behave oddly."

If what remained of Grant was at all aware of what was happening to his pets, he didn't show it. His focus remained dreadfully fixed on Lorette, who was unwilling to die and making herself a massive nuisance. In hindsight, she'd be a breath of fresh air compared to Hrosvir. Twelve foot tall Polar Bears wielding hammers wasn't typically a problem for anyone had to deal with. But unfortunately for what remained of Grant, it was exactly the thing he was forced to contend with.

EDFc96HUUAA9A4-.jpgA roar and a shout were all the warning Lorette had to get the hell out of the way, and she did by gracelessly throwing herself to the side. Bruises and a dirty jacket were a fair trade to avoid getting trampled by a Daemon. Especially one as hefty as Hrosvir. The Bear swung his hammer and caved the metal thing's steel chest in. It was sent toppling amidst the screech of metal and the furious, rasping cry of Grant. Footsteps approached quickly, and Lorette looked up to see an armored individual reaching down towards her. For a brief second she tensed in fear, worried that another one of her employees would split in two and this time finish her off. But a gauntleted hand reached down to gently grasp her shoulder.

"Are you all right Ma'am?" A voice asked and Lorette relaxed, if only internally. "I'll be better when this thing is dead. Let's wrap this up." She said, rising to her feet with Morris' help. "Yes, Ma'am!" He replied quickly, ready to help and eager to please. Lorette was thankful for the man's enthusiasm, as she was quickly running out of patience. Someone else could do the emotional lifting for a while.

Hrosvir was proving to be an even match for the metal monstrosity, but Grant was doing his damndest to make things difficult for the Bear. He stabbed wildly at the Daemon's legs in a bid to cripple him and Hrosvir growled in pain. His focus could only be put towards keeping the shambling thing at bay, and he was too stubborn to be halted so easily. But he could not hold forever, and Lorette was quick to leap into action with Morris.

The armored man, like his Daemon, was a Sentinel. Big, strong, and hard to get rid of. He dashed forward, riot shield at the ready and slammed the wall of metal into what remained of Grant's face. Hrosvir used the respite to press his own attack and together they shoved the shambling thing backwards. Its balance was fighting a losing battle, and it struggled to stay upright. Lorette used that small opening to strike. The battle could go on no longer, and she had neither the time nor the right to hesitate. Her blade met no resistance as it sank pint first into Grant's narrow chest.

If it pierced his heart, she didn't know. She wasn't even sure if it was beating anymore. She knew that what had once been Grant was long gone. All that was left of him was his ruined corpse being puppeted by something that had no business being there.

A skeletal hand grasped the blade weakly, and the ruined thing of a man spat out a disdainful laugh. Blackened blood flowed freely from the fresh wound, splattering the ground like oil. Its eyes found hers, and for a moment Lorette was drawn in by the limitless possibility held within them. Potential was always spoken of as a thing of beauty. Of goodness. But she knew that potential had no allegiance and no morals. Therein she saw only the possibility of evil without limits. A possibility she would do anything to prevent.

"We...will be made whole." It sputtered, the lights it called eyes fading out. "The keys...." It's wet sickly breaths faded, and the man slumped forward heavily. Grant's mutilated body had finally caught up with his soul and moved no longer. Lorette yanked her blade from his sunken chest with a grunt and stepped back as Hrosvir shoved the metal entity over. With its master it too died, and whatever power kept it together began to rapidly break down. It faded fast, a black mass writhing and shrinking to nothingness. All that remained were twisted scraps of metal, and the flayed corpse of a man who'd died a long time ago.

The Hounds, too fell apart. Unraveling amid pained shrieks and howls. Another oddity. Another thing that should not have been. A Facet always died silently. But these did not. Allister and Jakob watched in silent horror as the things fell twitching to the ground and writhed in agony as they were torn from existence against their will. It was over. But they knew better. It was never over. It seemed, against all hope, that things were set to begin in ways unprecedented and unprepared for.

"I really don't get paid enough for this." Allister huffed. Jakob nodded in agreement.

Lorette stood over Grant's ruined body silently. She'd seen employees reduced to nothing more than piles of meat chunks. It never got easier. But they usually only blamed her for their deaths in her nightmares. She'd never had one of her people do so while they still passed for living.

"Have someone bag him up." She said, not bothering to look at Morris as she strode away. "And get the Sirens. He's not going home."

Lorette reached into her jacket and withdrew the man's dog tags. It was all that his family would receive. Another body missing. Another lie told. Another ghost looming over her.

"And the night's just beginning." She thought humorlessly. She paused, taking in the sight of the ruined van that she didn't have the energy to get pissed off about before looking at Allister. "Jakob can take it from here. Let's go and find those new hires. Hopefully, they haven't been torn apart yet.

"So what exactly about 'Nobody gets in or out.' are you not getting?"

Michael had been attempting to ward off the pair of strangers for who know's how long, and it was wearing on his nerves. In fairness, only one of them was a stranger. A rather nervous looking woman who appeared to be someone that would rather be anywhere else. The man with her was an employee, albeit one from outside the Wall's perimeter. He, at least, was very insistent that the girl be let in for her orientation. The same one that had passed through the gate just recently. She should have been riding in the van with the Boss, negating the song and dance Michael was forced to engage in. But she'd been late. Not his fault, and not his problem.

On any other night, Michael would have been happy to have them both wait while he verified the woman's identity and got her inside. But it was not any other night. It was a shitty night. Something was loose on the grounds. Outside, for Fuck's sake! A breach of containment in the building's security was one thing. It was manageable. Something stalking around in the dark outside the confines of HQ was far worse. And from what he understood, they didn't even know what the hell it was. It had appeared from nowhere, and the Boss had to contend with getting it under control. Because that wouldn't piss her right off....

Naturally, neither of the two standing in front of Michael could know that. Until they were cleared by Upper Management, his job was to treat them like average Joes, completely unaware of the horrors that lurked just beyond the massive wall. And part of that job was lying. A lot.

It was fortunate that Apex had compiled a dossier of every cover story that could reasonably apply to a variety of situations. The current situation was tough to handle, but easy enough to lie about.

"Like I've said twenty times already, we're doing a Lockdown Drill. You know what a Lockdown is, right? You both know how that works?" Michael asked curtly. He wasn't often like this. Or at all, really. They had chosen him for his position, for his affable demeanor. That alone put people at ease and made it all the easier for him to gauge them as potential threats. Nobody ever expected the nice guy to pull the trigger on them. But the situation at hand, along with the two weirdos hassling him, wasn't doing his mood any favors, and it was starting to show.

The German Shepard sitting next to him yawned and looked blearily at the pair. An act, of course. Daemons didn't get tired, but Koko had been playing the part of canine companion for a very long time. In all actuality, it was not Michael that people hoping to get past the Wall had to convince. It was her. She hadn't caught a single whiff of Daemonic energies on either of the people in front of her. If she had, then she would have given their demands some credence. But the both of them were squeaky clean. And people with clean hands had no business going behind the Wall.

Michael sighed and attempted to gain control of the situation. "Listen, why don't you wait in your car for now? Once the Lockdown ends, I can verify your identity and send you on through for Orientation." He had no clue how long it would take for the situation to be under control, but he knew enough about Lorette that he figured it wouldn't be very long. The woman hated messes and would be riding plenty of asses to see it cleaned up. Michael sincerely hoped, however, that the pair got bored long before then and just left. The guy was getting annoying, and the girl had been glancing around furtively as if she'd seen a ghost. That wasn't true, of course. All of Apex's ghosts were kept hidden and well out of sight.

Most of the time, anyway.

Bethany tried to shake the feeling which had started growing in the pit of her stomach. Maybe it was just how sudden all of this was. Maybe it was growing irritation from the guard that was getting to her. But she had seen a second white blur and she knew that lately that meant weird things were soon to follow. Her mind grasped for ways to distract herself. Her eyes turned to the german shepherd laying by the guard. For a moment, she thought about trying to pet them, but quickly thought the better of it. It was on duty after all, and she doubted their handler would appreciate her getting that close to them.

Returning her attention to the present, Kenji was still verbally accosting the man blocking Bethany's admittance. Clearly, her friend was in one of his moods, not to be dissuaded by her mere presence. Stopping him would take a more direct approach. Bethany swallowed and took a gentle grasp of his arm. It took some effort, but she managed to draw her obstinate friend away closer to the car. She gave a quick apology to the guard as they moved away.

"Bea! Noo! You—!"

"Shhh. Kenji, listen to me." She began, before dropping her voice to just above a whisper. Her hands clasped around his biceps and she leaned in closer to him. "I saw something…"

Kenji's anger dissipated and his face paled. "Here? Where? A-are we safe?"

"Behind the gate. We're okay here, I think." Pausing, her gaze flicked over to the guard and their canine companion before dropping to the asphalt between her and her friend. "Don't you think it's odd to be running a lockdown drill at night, with a new hire orientation going on? I get the sense something is actually going on. I doubt the guard knows anything, but…" She let go of his arms and righted herself. "Maybe waiting it out a bit is the best bet?"

"Yeah…maybe."

Bethany gave a small nod, then let her eyes drift back over to the gate. Was she hoping to see whatever had screamed by? Kenji's growing apprehension was not helping, that was for certain. Though, now any thought or desire to leave was gone. If the beings she'd been chasing the trails of had made it to a giant security conglomerate like Apex, then truly no place was safe. Her honey colored eyes drifted shut as her arms hugged the other. She let the sounds of the deepening night swallow her. Was that a gunshot? She strained to possibly hear better, but the sound was already gone. Looking at Kenji, it didn't seem that he'd heard anything. Best not to bring it up and feed the growing nervousness between them.

Silen never thought he would be glad to have a bullet whizz past him, close enough that he could have sworn he felt disturbed air around it brush against his neck. But, as the monster's body suddenly blossomed from the impact of the projectile, 'glad' was the only word that came to him. That gladness doubled into sheer relief as a similar display of marksmanship laid the beat behind them out.

Silen let out a haggard breath, stooping to put his hands on his knees as he panted in relief that (against all odds) he was still amongst the living. Their saviours, several heavily armed folks who quite noticeably were all accompanied by at least an animal if not a straight up monster, wasted no time in ordering the motely group to fall back the way they had come. Silen didn't need telling twice.

A contrast to the spider-esque being, however. With several cautious steps on it's hook like legs, the beings loomed over the fallen beast, mouth chattering slightly as it's many eyes raked over the 'dog.' After several seconds of silent contemplation, the entity muttered to itself,

"Curiouser and curiouser," Lumbering it's frame around, the spider said, "To have such oddities appear on your first night of work, Lost Silen, is either a sign of great fortune or a great MISfortune. I suppose we'll see which in short order."

"Wha- how do you-"

"Please, your name has been spoken aloud enough that even a child would put it together; don't do me the great disservice of assuming I'm not observant enough for that. Unless you mean HOW I heard it, at which you should remember what you carry is not merely a construction of metal and glass."

Silen looked dubiously down at the camera still around his neck, then back up at the spider. It's myriad of eyes watched him with an unnerving level of focus. A strange silent moment passed between them, then Silen was turning around and quickly marching after the others, the rhythmic sound of the spider's legs clattering behind him. The weight of that gaze, of the nearly dozen glowing green eyes, felt like sheer lead upon Silen's back as they moved.

Soon the group had manoeuvred itself out between the closed in space between the storage units, and were back out in some space. As promised, medical aid awaited them, though not in the form that one would typically expect.

Not sure if he should really be shocked anymore, Silen had simply shaken his head as the monstrously huge wolf asked him if he had been hurt. The spider, who had come slinking up to Silen's side, thankfully finally averted his gaze from him, instead taking some time to scan the wolf up and down. Silen couldn't tell if it was trying measure who would win in a fight or simply looking or what, but he was glad for the break from the arachnid's gaze. He used that brief window to do a once-over the unfortunate crew under his lacking supervision. No losses or serious injuries thus far, but he supposed the night was still young.

Two more ringing gunshots were damning evidence of that point, amongst other things.

Silen looked up, body once again tensing, just in time for one of their more heavily armed saviours to toss a knife at him, something his hands fumbled to catch.

"Eventually those things are going to get within stabbing range."

"You can't be serious-" Was all Silen was about to choke out, before she gave him some more instructions (thrust out the moment the monster tried to bite his head off), and moved on to pass a gun off to another member of the group.

Shaking, he looked down at the blade in his hands. There was something…off, about the metal. He couldn't quite identify it, but it didn't take a genius to now this was no ordinary knife. Afterall, they expected him to stab a monstrosity with it.

"Hmm. Finally, the means to defend yourself. Maybe now you won't constantly wait until your near death for someone to save your quivering hide."

Silen dragged his eyes away from the murky image of his reflection in the knife, to the spider hovering by his side.

"…What?"

"I know not what your life was before this point, Lost Silen, but from here on out you must be ready to struggle for your right to simply draw breath. It's a fight without end, and I will only help once you've proven worth helping." The spider shook it's form, eyes all glaring. "And before you bring up the matter – I only protected you before because it would be pointless to let you die without even the most basic way to defend yourself; even the most powerful and potent human would struggle to battle my kind without the proper arms or knowledge, something you previously lacked. Now that's rectified, you have the chance to prove my generosity wasn't wasted."

Silen listened to the tirade without sound or movement. In truth, he was completely flummoxed, not sure what if anything he could say to this being from beyond his comprehension would ultimately make a difference. The spider seemed to sense this, or at least saw his hesitation, and let out a sound like a huff. In the next moment it's entire body grew hazy and indistinct, like a water colour painting that had been smeared. Immediately after, it's arachnid body became like the smoke or vapor that it had appeared from initially, and this time Silen saw that it flowed like a black strand straight into the camera around his neck.

A chaotic swirl of thoughts and emotions were clashing and crashing around in Silen's head. But there wasn't time to acknowledge them now; the group was already several paces ahead, following their instructions to retreat. Silen, after a moment, took off after them, knife gripped tightly in his hand.

She was still staring at her hands when the others began to flood the scene. In a dreamlike haze, she could make out the shapes... human and otherwise, but somehow the sight of bipedal bears and enormous talking spiders held very little interest. She would still feel it, ever now and then, a twitch in the tips of her fingers... An odd tingling sensation, like those moments before your hands fully fall asleep.

"Is anybody... Hurt..." Muffled, the words filtered into her brain and giving a shake of her head, Lucy looked up from her hands to the crowd. They were moving now, slowly, an attentive medical crew making their rounds , but Lucy paid the massive beast and the gangly man little mind, moving instead to the woman with the outstretched firearm.

Her fingers, surprisingly steady, curled around the cool metal grip and she gave a nod, her demeanor as steely as the weapon in hand. It was something else to focus on. Something else to do. It was tactile and real and even if she would never get points for expert marksman, it wasn't hard to suss out how to shoot the thing, "Point and fire. Got it."

Shoot. Run. Stop. Reload.

If there ever was a messier retreat, Anne didn't want to know about it. Hell, it was embarrassing enough to be caught up in the mess of a getaway they enacted to begin with. A group of terrified newbies, and constantly regenerating Hellhounds were not ideal for even the most basic of maneuvers. And yet that's what she'd gotten. Lester and Autumn's help mitigated the difficulty of herding everyone towards the safety of the main building. Given that he had no patients to worry about, the wiry medic had taken to firing warning shots at the encroaching Daemons to help cover everyone's escape. Autumn, as mild-mannered as was, was still a wolf the size of a four-door sedan and she made sure the Hounds knew it. Not verbally, of course, as words would have been wasted on their pursuers. But pointed teeth and sharp claws did the talking well enough for her.

Eventually, the damn things worked out who was the most dangerous of the group and switched tactics. That worried Anne immediately. Everything the Hounds had done that night went against everything Apex knew about Daemons. Sure, they were always learning new things about them. But she could no longer feign ignorance on the matter. What was happening simply wasn't right.

They moved in unison, feinting at the last second to dart at someone else. Someone that hadn't put holes in them. The long-haired man obviously didn't know what the hell he was doing with the blade she'd given him. But he was smart enough to put it to proper use. He looked no better in the time that they'd started their sloppy retreat, and Anne suspected he was rethinking his decision to show up. She couldn't blame him. The poor guy wasn't even on the clock and was already dealing with the kind of bullshit that made Veterans wary. She wouldn't have been surprised if he decided to never come back. If all of them decided to never come back. But that decision had been out of their hands from the moment they'd signed on the dotted line. If they didn't lose their lives that night, it didn't matter. They belonged to Apex, whether they liked it or not.

Anne fought back the urge to grimace at the sloppy handling of the firearm she'd passed off to one woman. She didn't know her name and certainly didn't want to find out. Somewhat if her face was torn off before Anne could assist, but mostly because she really didn't give a shit. Still, the urge to correct her form lingered just at the tip of Anne's tongue. She fought back the urge to reprimand her. It served no purpose and ultimately she was doing what needed to be done. Which was pointing the gun in the direction of the things following them and pulling the trigger. It wasn't like a couple of ugly dogs had any opinions on the matter of proper firearm handling.

At least no one was crying.

Blessedly, she caught the sound of voices somewhere behind her. Without even realizing it, she'd made it to the front of the main building. The fluorescent lights gleamed from the double glass doors like a welcoming beacon, and Anne could not recall a time when she'd been happy to see a reception area. She was even happier to see that help was indeed waiting for them all and wasted no time in springing into action.

They gave the newbies priority, and nearly hauled them into the beckoning light of the reception area and out of the dark. And as far away from those countless sets of jaws as possible. Anne didn't need to watch to know that they were being handed off to hands more capable of looking after them and she relaxed visibly, as she was allowed to divert her full focus back to what she did best. Shooting Daemons.

Lester and Autumn had gone along with them, adamant about monitoring them should any of them need actual help. Several armed guards quickly stepped in to take their place, and tightened ranks to deal with the Hounds.

Surprisingly. Or unsurprisingly, given how weird the night had been, the twin daemons had come no closer when it became obvious that they were far more outnumbered than they had been previously. They paced restlessly, several yards away and watched the armored figures with what Anne could only assume was wariness if their body language was anything to go by. A dog was a dog, even the kind that had snarling mouths all over their bodies.

Whatever advanced conditioning had allowed the pair to chase their quarry so far from their main host, without further instruction, had finally reached its limit. Anne doubted that a couple of facets had the right intellect to be concerned by the sudden change in events and where biding their time. For what, Anne had no way of knowing. But she was glad for the reprieve, no matter how slight. Having a stare down with a couple of Daemons was far preferable to shepherding people through a maze of storage units. And if she had to guess, the feeling was mutual from the end of the people she'd just saved. They would be grateful. They should be grateful.

And if they weren't. Well, that was for the mental health department to sort out.

Cats. Cats everywhere. On the floor, curled up on chairs situated around the waiting area. A few had taken to hiding in decorative potted plants. Others rode the shoulders of Apex staff milling around the area while they conversed among themselves. All of them were wearing collars with photo IDs clipped to them and sitting just beyond the doors as if waiting for something. One cat stood out among the rest. It perched atop the Receptionist's desk and watched the doors with piqued interest. The cat's patience was rewarded when several bedraggled looking people burst through the doors.

Immediately, every cat present sprang into action. That action being to purr audibly. Few of them actually moved at the sight of the newcomers. Despite being Daemons, they all seemed to take the job of loafing about as seriously as any actual cat would. Those that did saunter towards the small group were clearly looking for attention, though their chances of receiving any affection were quite slim. People who'd escaped near-death experiences usually had other things on their minds.

What staff was gathered in the waiting area only gave the small group of new hires a cursory glance. They were alive, and a medic was present. Whatever interest they had in the newcomers stopped there. These people were not what the reason they'd gathered.

Lester and Autumn urged everyone towards a cluster of plush armchairs, and urged them all to rest. The cats occupying them moved begrudgingly, allowing them enough room to sit. All the while, they never stopped purring. Even as they gazed at the people with obvious annoyance. It was always unsettling to see clear human intellect displayed on animal faces. The purring made it even more so. A constant drone filling the room and muting the senses. It should have been grating to the ears. Amplifying everyone's discomfort tremendously. But strangely, it did not. Sharp edges became softer. Colors and lights became muted. It left one with a slow, heady feeling.

The cats were good at their job. Humans often weren't very good at calming themselves after experiencing severe trauma. And so they purred. There was plenty of ongoing discussion among the minds of Apex on why so many cat Daemons possessed such a specific cognitive altering skill. The most common theory was that they adapted to perfect mimicry of the very creature that they took the shape of. A cat's purr could take the edge off of frazzled nerves. A Daemon's purr could do the same tenfold. What Human could question the oddity of their pets when they were lulled into a stupor.

It worked just as well on distressed personnel. A godsend when one considered how often they were exposed to nightmare inducing events. The regular office staff was a tad harder to calm. There was just something about sitting in a cubicle that inspired despair in the human psyche.

The cat perched on the receptionist's desk jumped down from its spot in one fluid motion and wandered towards the seated individuals. A Siamese Point covered in fluffy fur just begging to be petted. The ID badge it was wearing stated that its name was Jellybean, and it was supposedly the Head of Cognitive Altering Therapy. At Apex, any job that didn't reasonably exist, they made up. And they had to make up a lot.

While Jellybean certainly had no PhD to their name the little Daemon was an expert on lulling Humans into a sense of security, legitimate or otherwise.

They watched with a cocked head as Lester, and Autumn finished checking over the new hires. With no danger present, and nowhere to run, they were each forced to submit to a brief examination. Autumn hunched her form as best she could to appear nonthreatening. The last thing she wanted was to agitate the Daemons traveling with them. Once the pair was satisfied that no one there would die, they backed off to discuss the previous events with some of the other Staff. Besides armed guards, there were several people that were dressed in a manner befitting a lab. Research and Development, like the rest of Apex, never really slept. A skeleton crew always remained on standby in case a breakthrough was a made, or a new discovery found. And they'd definitely found out some new things that night. None of them good.

Jellybean wandered closer and looked up at the people with wide eyes. They looked tired and sweaty, and didn't smell much better. They wouldn't say that out loud, however.

"Hi, I'm Jellybean." The cat chirped, not particularly caring if the people found the idea of a talking cat jarring or not. By that point, they should have been in a calmer state anyhow. Not once had the small army of felines ceased their purring since they arrived.

"I'm the Head of Cognitive Altering Therapy here. If someone has had any trouble, we come to help them." The little Daemon seemed almost proud, and perhaps they were. Jellybean loved people in the way all very affectionate cats did, and considered helping others to be a worthy profession. It would have been more endearing if all the cat's 'patients' weren't visiting on the heels of a run in with nightmarish creatures.

"Right now, my associates and I are purring to keep you nice and calm. Once we've deemed you stable enough, we let you go back to work. But since you haven't started yet we'll have to see what the Boss says before anything else can happen. Don't worry, you're not in trouble." Despite the soothing effects of their purrs, the cat quickly sought to quell any apprehension growing in the people in front of them. It wasn't as if they'd been caught poking their noses where they didn't belong. The situation was not their fault. But Humans had a way of contorting things in their minds until it seemed to be a disaster.

"If you have questions, don't be afraid to approach me. The other staff are very busy getting the situation under control though, so I ask that you please not bother them right now." They mewled before stretching lazily. The little group probably had many questions and more than a few complaints as well. But Jellybean had no answers, and didn't need anyone getting worked up over not getting answers. Lorette would take care of that. If not out of duty to her position, then out of guilt.

Jellybean rose and turned tail without another word, seeking a nice warm spot to curl up in. Aside from the cats who worked to keep them from dissolving into fits, no one really paid the group any attention. They were not the focus of the evening's discussion as everyone was more interested in just what Lorette had found wandering the grounds and why it saw fit to attack her. The atrium was awash with the murmur of soft voices and the ever present purr of cats. All things considered, it was a peaceful, if very odd, atmosphere.

The oddness was difficult to ignore, however. Putting aside the talking cats and armored guards there rested at the far back wall a massive pressurized door. It looked like something that lead to a vault. And in a way, it did. A vault of secrets that the new hires had recently had a brief glimpse of. Whether those secrets were worth the price of their lives remained wholly up to them.

They'd been left in relative, if tense, privacy. Escape wasn't really an option for them. The guards had been quick to disarm any of them that had been given a weapon. As a matter of safety, they'd said. But they were as much prisoners as they were would-be employees. No one was going anywhere. Not until Lorette got back and decided what to do with them all. Something they had to sit and mull on as they waited like mice amid a nest of vipers.

A clatter of hooves and a string of curses warned those stationed outside of their employer's impending arrival. They straightened themselves perceptibly and fell quiet. None wanted to risk the woman's ire as they knew well how angry she would be after what had happened. Lorette made it plainly clear that she was not above killing her own employees. Never without just cause, but no one will risk being the first to be unjustly murdered.

Their focus was diverted anyway by the abrupt and terrible disappearance of the hounds. One moment Anne had been taking potshots at the things, and the next they'd unraveled in a chorus of pained howls. She really didn't want to know what that was all about. Instead, she stood there with her back ramrod straight and remained silent as Lorette slid from her spot behind Allister on Faendr's back as the Stag came to a halt before the glass doors of the main building. She paid the guards no mind, pausing only to place a gentle hand on Faendr's neck and murmur a sincere word of thanks. Beyond Allister, there were few whose touch the Stag tolerated. Lorette could count among them, but he was glad she didn't make a habit of it.

Lorette brushed past the silent guards standing vigil and paused before the double doors momentarily. Her hesitation was not without purpose. While the people outside had been quiet, those inside were loud. All the more so as they collectively rushed her with a slew of questions. For the barest of moments, Lorette stilled and the carefully curated mask she always wore slipped.

She was tired. And she was growing more tired by the second.

Her work never ended. And it would never allow her to rest. She'd known that from the beginning. But it did nothing to quell the fact that the woman was very much mortal, and not exempt from the weight of her decisions.

They could never know that she knew of that. Never would they know. And so just as fast as it slipped, the mask was put firmly back on and Lorette set to ordering people around. Ignoring the knots in her stomach, the ache in her bones, and deepening pit in her chest. None of that mattered. There was work to be done.

She fielded the questions she could answer and left the rest to be figured out by the Labs. The twisted corpse that used to be Grant needed to be bagged immediately and set into containment for further study. Something that the Researchers looked forward to with unsettling delight. A pair of Sirens had occupied themselves with cover stories concerning the man's death, but needed both Lorette's input and confirmation of any plans they might come up with. A Jackal confronted her privately when most everyone had been given a task, pulling her aside to whisper.

"He was one of the people sent into the Slums." She said, not bothering to clarify as Lorette knew what she was talking about. The CEO's lips pressed into a thin line as grim realization dawned on her. The Slums had become a point of focus for Apex over the past few months because of a sudden spike in Daemonic activity. It wouldn't have been such a pressing matter for them had people not begun disappearing in the area at the same time as the surge of movement. They wanted to resolve the issue before the police fully got involved. The poor weren't a priority to APD, if they mattered at all and so they'd been able to send people in to survey the area relatively unhindered. Grant had been one of them.

The last excursion had been well over two weeks ago. Which made the sudden attack that much odder. If a Daemon had been looking to infiltrate Apex, they'd picked the worst possible time to reveal themselves. But Lorette had already latched firmly to the idea that what they were dealing with was far beyond what they usually dealt with. There was no further room for error.

"I want everyone in the group Grant was a part of rounded up and put into quarantine. Their Daemons too." It didn't take a genius to figure out that the Daemon was Grant's. Horrifying as it looked, it was good at sniffing out danger and keeping watch. Lorette vaguely recalled hearing that it was relatively mild-mannered as well, which made its state of aggression worrying. Even if Grant had been in the right mind and ordered the Daemon to assault fellow employees, it wouldn't have, or at least been incredibly hesitant to do so without good reason. There were far too many questions without answers for Lorette's liking and she would drag them out of anyone she could by force until the matter was resolved.

The Jackal nodded curtly before scurrying off to set to the task given to her. There was no time to waste. If something had been posing as Grant, it could pose as anyone, and the thought made Lorette as ill as much as it infuriated her.

Her phone rang insistently, and she withdrew it from her jacket to frown at the number on the screen. The guards stationed at the front gate had no reason to call her, and she braced for the worst.

"What?" she snapped as she picked up the call. If her lack of manners put the person on the other end off, they were right not to let her know.

"Boss, we got two people here at the gate hoping to gain entrance. One was supposed to be in orientation, and we've got a member of staff out here without the right credentials. I wanted to ask if the drill was still ongoing." The person asked, referring to the cover agreed on. White hot fury surged through Lorette's veins as she listened to the man speak. This is what they were calling to waste her time about? She had a dead man being scraped off of the ground, and a group of civilians to look after and they called to ask her inane questions. Lorette pulled the phone away from her ear and sucked in a loud breath as she resisted the urge to scream at the man. All that he knew was that something was loose on the grounds. He wasn't yet aware of the full scope of the dangers it presented.

She placed the phone back to her ear.

"Put them on the phone." She ground out. Not specifying who, as she knew, the man on the other end would understand if he valued his job. She heard muffled speech before the sound of what she presumed was the phone being handed to someone else. The second she heard breathing on the other end, Lorette forged ahead, not caring about what the other person had to say.

"Nine am tomorrow morning. Same building. If you're going to be late, don't bother showing up." She snapped before hanging up. Allister, who'd been idling nearby, fought back a grin. The person on the other end was undoubtedly *not* looking forward to meeting Lorette after such a brusque interaction. Lorette sighed, passing the phone off to Allister and leaving answering her phone to him.

"Tell my Husband I'll be home late." She said, not bothering to look at the man as he walked away. Allister shrugged and began typing out a series of texts, leaving the woman to her work. Faendr peered over the man's shoulder to eyeball the screen with interest.

"Tell him to send nudes." The Stag ordered, earning a raised eyebrow from Allister. "What? And why?" The Daemon shrugged as best a Stag could. "I heard it on tv. Isn't that something humans do to cheer each other up?" The Daemon asked.

Allister pursed his lips thoughtfully before he resumed typing. "I mean, you're not wrong." He conceded.

Lorette ignored everyone else in favor of stalking towards the group of people she'd sent fleeing for safety. Her face did nothing to betray the relief that washed over when she saw they were all alive, and unharmed. The only good to come out of the night. A silver bengal sauntered up to her boldly, and Lorette's lips twitched in a small smile as she bent over to pick the purring feline up. Her mind was immediately suffused with a comforting weight, and she felt the tension coiled in her body loosen. The cat climbed deftly to her shoulders and wound itself there to keep itself close to her. She petted the cat's small head in silent thanks.

No sooner than she had, a gust of wind blew through the area and startled several of the cats. They glared at the offending source, but no gaze that the smaller Daemon's could muster would ever match the intensity of Tasosael's. The regal Daemon's feathered wings brushed the floor as it kneeled next to Lorette. It did nothing to lessen his imposing height, and he loomed over her silently. Lorette eyed the Daemon in an equally cool silence and said nothing until he ducked his maned head down closer to her. Lorette raised a hand to gently stroke the Daemon's nose and she gifted him a rare, if subdued smile.

"Thank you." She breathed. Tasosael needed no other words, and Lorette needed no explanation for his appearance. Things simply were.

She stepped around the large Daemon, leaving him to entertain himself with several of the braver cat Daemons who'd approached. The softness of Tasosael's fur did not escape them, and they knew a good loafing place when they saw one. The larger Daemon did not seem to mind, unbothered as they climbed his form like a noble tree to rest atop him. The lion's chest rumbled softly with amusement and his eyes, once fierce and stern crinkled into a smile. He had suddenly taken on the appearance of a kindly old man tending to his demanding grandchildren.

Lorette would have loved to entertain herself with the image, but there were far more pressing issues that needed her attention. She came to a halt before the new hires and stood in silence as she waited for them to address her first. It was rare that Lorette didn't glare at people she'd only just met and compel them to talk. But her mood was in the gutter, and she really had no way to explain what had happened. It was not reassuring for your future employer to admit to their incompetence. But she knew that brushing it under the rug and demanding their understanding would earn her no loyalty.

She fought back a bitter laugh. It was exactly at times like these that she wished she could have settled for simply overworking and underpaying people to fill her pockets to overflowing without a care in the world. Every other billionaire on earth did it. Unfortunately for her, Lorette was cursed with an ounce of conscience. It wasn't enough to keep her from doing incredibly unsavory things. But it gave her a twinge of guilt whenever some hapless idiot got unintentionally caught up in her plans.

Sure, the people in front of her had signed up for the troubles that came with working for her. But they hadn't even clocked in yet! Running for one's life was at least a day three activity.

Lorette cleared her throat and fiddled with her cufflinks nervously. "I don't think my apologies are worth much considering what you've been through. But I'll extend them, anyway. And..." She paused, fighting back another sigh. "I suppose you have questions. I will give you answers. You deserve that much. I can't promise that you'll like them though."

Last edited:
Reactions: starling