2. Futanari
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Scifi, anime, mecha, magical girl, superhero, cyberpunk, yuri
yhMLe33.png

Malevolence From Beyond
An eldritch horror magical girl roleplay
Characters | In-Character

The year is 2085. Fifty years ago, the Ashcroft Foundation shocked the world by revealing that magic was real, and they had harnessed its principles in new technology. The old gods have also taken notice, and now their cults are more active than ever. Operating in secret, they threaten to destabilize society and bring about the return of the Old Ones in a new era of madness. Fighting in a shadow war against them is the Eldritch Society, an international secret society dedicated to protecting the mortal world and driving back the advances of horrible deities. Their greatest warriors are tagers, people who have survived a powerful magical ritual and been bound in symbiosis with a "higher being," gaining incredible power.​
A group of young women are about to be in the right place at the wrong time. A ritual gone out of control leaves them the unwitting subjects, and they have been found worthy by the alien beings summoned forth. They will have to learn how to use their new powers, and find allies in the shadow war quickly if they want to survive in a world of monsters. Because they are tagers, holy warriors, and they are destined to fight.​
Welcome to the Strange Aeon.​
  • Hello and welcome to a weird little roleplay about magical girls and Lovecraftian horror. Your characters have just been unwillingly granted great power and will, like it or not, have to fight all manner of horrible monsters. It's gonna be fun.

Before the RP proper starts, I plan on having a sort of session zero. In addition to making characters, we're going to have some discussion of our expectations, so we can get everyone on the same page in terms of tone and other things. This will probably be a darker story most of the time, although how dark may change from time to time. Also, even if it is a darker roleplay, the focus is less on cosmic horror and more on humaniy's ability to fight back. You're eldritch super heroes, after all.

Please note that characters will not necessarily be first come, first served. I will be picking the characters I like. I am looking for a small group of around 3-4 other people.
    If, for some reason, you would like to be a Co-GM for this madness, please let me know. It'd mostly just involve bouncing ideas off each other for what happens next, and probably keeping me honest about a posting schedule.
  • Posting Speed
    I will do my best to post at least once a week, and would prefer the same from everyone else. Posting speeds that are sometimes faster or slower are also fine at times.

Posting Expectations
    As long as one has reasonably correct grammar and spelling, I won't be particularly upset. I would prefer posts not be one-liners, but I won't set any minimum word counts. Just shoot for at least a paragraph or so, and try to move the scene or conversation forward.

Mature Content
    There may be swearing, violence, graphic descriptions of gore, drug and alcohol use, and possibly sexual content. There will inevitably be tentacles anyway.

Communication
    Communication is important. If you have a question or something is unclear, please ask.

Discord
    I'll probably set up a discord server. I have not set one up yet. If one feels strongly for or against discord, please let me know.

What about insanity and stuff?
    While madness is often a theme in the genre, notable so in tabletop role-playing games such as Call of Cthulhu, I do not intend to track sanity as a resource or worry much about characters going mad or losing their minds over encountering a new Mythos beastie or the like. I will leave this up to you as a player. If you want your character to suffer, go ahead. This RP will definitely have opportunities for psychological themes and horror. How does your character change from the things she has to do? How is she changed by the extradimensional symbiont bound to her? How do the people around her react when she seems to know things no man was meant to know?

• Be kind to each other.
    • Listen to Iwaku staff.
    • Listen to me.
    • Follow all site rules.
    • Do we really need things like this?

• Your characters will be young women who have been granted incredible power, and dragged into what would normally be the concern of adults. Until they became tagers by accident, your characters probably didn't even know there was a secret war against the Old Ones, but now they won't be able to avoid it. And they still have to go to school and maintain a normal life.

Your characters are still exceptional people on some level. Not anyone can be judged worthy by the "divine" beings that join with them to become tagers. It requires a certain amount of willpower and conviction.

In addition to your character, you will also get to create their form and abilities when they change into a living, power-armored monstrous warrior. This isn't a monster girl sort of thing so much as just a full-on monster. Tagers are more like the Guyver or Tekkaman blade. his probably means your characters aren't exactly magical girls per-se, but it's close enough, and we'll be following a lot of the same tropes.

Your characters all attend the same school, although they do not need to be in the same grade or class. The details of their home life are also entirely up to you. If you would like to work with other players to have a common background, you are more than welcome to.

It won't take the Eldritch Society very long to track down your characters, and they will all be invited to work with them shortly after the roleplay begins. I will be discussing how the RP will start and how to gather all the characters together before the RP proper starts, so help ensure things go smoothly. Starting a RP is difficult, what can I say?

• Name: Your character's name
    Age: Your character's age, preferably 13-18. Optionally, also include their grade/year in school.
    Appearance Your character's appearance. Images are fine, and while artwork, particularly anime-styled is recommended, I will not require it either. Please also provide a good paragraph description of your character's appearance, should you feel the need to elaborate with additional details not present in the image.
    History: At least a paragraph about who your character is. Where are they from? What's their family life like? What events have shaped who they are today?
    Personality: A very brief sketch about how your character tends to act or see the world. Also consider how their ta'ge symbiont's influence has or will change their mentality over time.

Feel free to provide any additional information you'd like, and if there is anything you want to keep secret, feel free to PM me with it.

• You character has also been bound to an alien symbiont summoned from another plane of existence. The Eldritch Society believes them to be divine, and whatever they are, they are willing to bond with humans, granting them great power in exchange for a measure of the magical energy they produce and their ability as a host to experience and influence the world. You will need to describe your symbiont and the form it grants you, as well as your character.

Appearance: The shifted appearance you take on when you fully manifest your symbiont. While humanoid, one is still clearly alien, monstrous, and likely to frighten anyone who saw them. Think the Guyver, or other biological or living armors or just plain old cool looking monsters, really. Images are encouraged, just as before.

Natural weapons: The natural weapons available to you. Be they claws, blades, a powerful bite, tentacles, or even more unusual or mystical ranged attacks. Although not all tagers are built for direct combat, they are all capable of it and have at least a couple weapons at their disposal.

Limit Weapon: Your signature special move. Make it nice and flashy. Examples would include the Guyver's mega-smashers or similar anime wave-motion guns, an ability to create several illusory copies of oneself, an unstoppable armored charge, the ability to teleport around an area and make multiple attacks from many angles or against several enemies, and so-on.

Other supernatural Abilities: Other supernatural abilities you possess, if any. Some examples could include flight with or without wings, the ability to turn invisible, a sort of displacement effect to appear slightly next to where one actually is, or the ability to phase through solid matter.

Personality traits: The personality traits your symbiont tends to bleed into your own. What new, alien desires are now yours? Additionally, does your symbiont usually remain a silent partner, or is it talkative as a voice within your head?

Hybrid Form: When you partially manifest your symbiont, what weapon or ability do you gain? What obvious change happens to your eyes?

• I mentioned earlier a "session zero" sort of thing and general discussion of expectations. To help facilitate discussion, please also fill out this questionnaire. The use of specific examples, where appropriate, is encouraged (for example, naming a specific series to describe how dark one would like things to be).

• What things from the Lovecraft Mythos would you like to see? If there is a specific god or monster you like, let me know. If there are specific themes or styles you like, mention those as well.
    • What things from magical girl anime would you like to see? I'm mostly looking for themes, tropes, and the like here.
    • How dark do you want the RP to get/be?
    • How light and/or silly do you want the RP to get/be? This is not mutually-exclusive with the above. You can want a mostly darker tone ,but still occasionally enjoy a moment of levity, and one might argue it can be important every now and again.
    • How much do you want to worry about the authorities and planning things carefully? The setting's cyberpunk and a bit dystopic. Do you want to be careful to avoid alerting your enemies or the police? Or would you prefer to have few consequences to overt action?
    • Do you want death and/or madness to be a major concern? In other words: How much do you want a character to possibly be lost due to either of those?
    • Is there anything you absolutely do not want to see?
    Please feel free to include anything else you'd like to discuss OOC, but those are the big ones that I'd like to have out for shaping the overall tone and style of the game. I don't want to have one person expecting something like Madoka Magica, and someone else expecting Haiyore! Nyaruko-san.

Tagers in detail
Tagers have a lot of abilities common to all of them, regardless of the specifics of the form they take. They are stronger, faster, tougher, and more agile than a normal human, even when in their normal human form. Once they shift into their alien battle form, they become far more powerful, and gain access to a number of terrifying abilities, but are also obviously nonhuman, and would easily be hunted down as just another monster by the Office of Internal Security. Most symbionts can appreciate the need for discretion and only manifest partially into a sort of hybrid form, granting access to some of their abilities. On the plus side, since the symbiont does not exist in the world, a tager appears to be perfectly human to most means of detection.

The price for this power seems slight, at first. While one's perceptions have been opened to a world beyond the mundane, which usually leaves one a little...less sane than they were before, not much else seems to be a downside. The symbiont consumes some or all of the magical energy their host produces, reducing theri ability to practice or assist in magic. The symbiont is mystically and mentally bound to its host. Existing just outside of reality, most of the time. But that connection allows its own desires to bleed through, and its personality begins to influence the host over time. Moreover, when one is stressed or threatened, the symbiont may attempt to manifest partially or fully, regardless of one's wishes.
Please read the information below, it may help you in creating your character.

• In human form, a tager enjoys some enhancement to their strength, agility, and other abilities, although to what extent depends on the individual symbiont.
    • Regeneration at a slow rate, taking hours or days to recover from injury. Any injuries sufered in human form recover at this rate, even if one later shifts forms.
    • A tager can, regardless of form, detect dhoanoids, other tagers, and supernatural beings. It takes about a minute of observation to identify someone as a dhoanoid or other supernatural creature, but tagers can recognize each other instantly by their mental connection (see below).
    • Mind link: In human form, tagers can communicate telepathically over short distances of around 10 m.

• Greater enhancement to their physical attributes.
    • The ability to leap great distances with little effort.
    • A gecko-like ability to stick to and crawl along walls and other sheer surfaces. Ceilings too, as long as they can support your weight.
    • While shifted, your mortal form is mystically protected and you can survive in space or deep underwater. Airborne toxins are also filtered out and will have no effect.
    • Shifted tagers gain armor that protects them from harm.
    • While shifted, tagers regenerate rapidly from any injuries. However, the symbiont will not allow them to shift back to human form until all sustained injuries have healed.
    • Every tager has a variety of weapons and supernatural abilities, including a Limit Weapon, a powerful attack of ability that can only be used once a day, often to devastating effect.
    • Supernatural senses: You gain one or more supernatural senses. Some examples include perfect vision in total darkness, thermal vision, the ability to see through walls, the ability to sense life, and echolocation.
    • Mind Link: Your mind link now functions over a distance of a few kilometers.

• Partially manifesting the symbiont takes an act of will in most circumstances. In this state, a tager still appears mostly human, although their eyes take on some clearly inhuman appearance, such as becoming pitch black, solid blood red, or segmented like an insect's. Any natural weapon manifested is also obvious for anyone to see. In hybrid form, you gain access to one of your supernatural senses, and either one natural weapon or other supernatural ability.

• The setting for this roleplay is Kojiki City. The time is 2085. Kojiki is a large metropolis in Japan, and one that has not been replaced by a more modern arcology over the years, in part because it survived the various wars intact. There is still a strong law-enforcement presence, although crime often runs rampant, and enforcement has gotten tougher to match. Many people get around by public transportation, either by bus or subway. Much of the architecture in Kojiki sports art deco touches, and the more stylish parts of town look like an odd mixture of the 1920s and modern holographic advertisements and displays. Wireless communications access is near ubiquitous, and only the very poor are without an advanced smartphone to take advantage of it. Since Kojiki is a bit more open than a modern arcology, organized crime, underground sorcery, and other everyday horrors run just under the surface. The Chrysalis Corporation's local headquarters is a small arcology towering over an entire city block and dominating the skyline.

Your characters attend Sanagi High School, a school that, while not one of the best, is well located near a residential district and also several shops and fast food restaurants right near the campus. Sanagi was fortunate enough to be included in an urban restoration project, and benefits from increased funding and influence in the business world, notably from the Chrysalis Corporation and its many subsidiaries. It has become extremely popular for many parents, as any graduate can look forward to several job offers from one of the world's premier megacorporations.

• About fifty years ago, the Ashcroft Foundation shocked the world by going public with the following: magic was real. And they had used it to develop new technology capable of generating steady, clean energy. This Dimensional Engine soon propelled mankind forward by leaps and bounds. Finally, we had the revolution in energy futurists had anticipated would come with the atomic age. Soon after the development of the D-engine, antigravity systems were also developed, and humanity has leveraged them both to usher in a new age of exploration. Powered armor and even larger humanoid mecha have been developed for both peaceful purposes like construction and for war.

Additional advances in fields such as cybernetics, nanotechnology, and biological engineering have led to revolutions in medicine and everyday life. One can generate just about anything with a nanofactory...provided one has access to it. Medical cybernetics exist, although far more common are replacement tissues created using a person's own cells and then attached with the help of nanomedicine or beneficial sorcery.

• The Chrysalis Corporation is one of the world's most influential and largest megacorporations, often chief competitor to the Ashcroft Foundation itself. It is also rotten from the inside. Decades ago, Chrysalis rediscovered the Rite of Transfiguration, a powerful ritual that transforms a human into...something else. This attracted the attention of the god Nyarlatheotep, and it gathered its mortal cult, the Children of Chaos, and silently took over. Most Chrysalis employees are completely unaware of the cult's existence, or any other darker influences, although eventually cult initiation and promotion are one and the same.

Dhoanoids
    A human undergoing the Rite of Transfiguration gains a form more suitable for its masters. The resulting creature is a shapeshifting monstrosity known as a Dhoanoid. Although they walk around like men, their true form lurks just below the surface. Utterly inhuman in body and mind, a dhoanoid is easily discovered by genetic scans or mystical means, and the Children of Chaos work carefully to hide them from any such public scrutiny. A dhoanoid can easily transform from their human appearance to their true, monstrous form, and can even only partially transform, should they choose to do so. Several known types of dhoanoid have been developed, and a dedicated team of research scientists and sorcerers is hard at work developing more with even stranger abilities.

• Founded by renegades among the Children of Chaos who stole the Ta'ge fragments, The Eldritch Society is a loose society of sorcerers, psychics, and others who know of the hidden truths of the world and act to protect it and humanity from these darker influences. The society has developed the Rite of Sacred Union from information contained within the fragments, a ritual similar to the Rite of Transfiguration that does not force one to lose their mortality. Instead, it calls out into the universe, to bring a mortal and a "higher being" together in symbiosis. However, participants in the rite would be "judged worthy". Tagers, as they have come to be called, are mortals who have undergone the Rite of Sacred Union and survived. They are monsters with the hearts of men, and are the Eldritch Society's greatest warriors.

Influences
The Cthulhu Mythos
The Cthulhutech Role-Playing Game by Wildfire LLC. A lot of things for the setting and tagers are taken from CTech, so credit where it's due.
Deus Machina Demonbane - Still what I expected Cthulhutech to be like.

Last edited:
Call me interested. Also, might as well answer the questionnaire here:

• What things from the Lovecraft Mythos would you like to see? If there is a specific god or monster you like, let me know. If there are specific themes or styles you like, mention those as well. Honestly, I don't really care about what would we have in the RP. I personally really like Nyarlathotep (as in, OG Nyarla), but I am also well aware that it might be too OP for this RP, so I'm open for whatever people are asking for.
  • What things from magicla girl anime would you like to see? I'm mostly looking for themes, tropes, and the like here. TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE. I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH. MAGICAL GIRL ISN'T MAGICAL GIRL WITHOUT UNIQUE AND AWESOME TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE. After all, contemporary Magical Girl shows are just lowkey Tokusatsu for girl.
  • How dark do you want the RP to get/be? As dark as possible while still keeping a mature tone so that I won't end up too edgy.
  • How light and/or silly do you want the RP to get/be? This is not mutually-exclusive with the above. You can want a mostly darker tone ,but still occasionally enjoy a moment of levity, and one might argue it can be important every now and again. Calm moment once in a while is always great. In fact, occasional comedy moment would make an otherwise bleak moments much more enjoyable and believable.
  • How much do you want to worry about the authorities and planning things carefully? The setting's cyberpunk and a bit dystopic. Do you want to be careful to avoid alerting your enemies or the police? Or would you prefer to have few consequences to overt action? The former, obviously.
  • Do you want death and/or madness to be a major concern? In other words: How much do you want a character to possibly be lost due to either of those? Yes, obviously. But I'd prefer that we don't just kill/disable characters every single minute like motherloving Akame ga Kill.
  • Is there anything you absolutely do not want to see? Gore, as in overly descriptive depiction of violence and mutilation.

Reactions: R-9 Pilot
Thank you very much for your answers. I can guarantee that Nyarlathotep will be present in a few forms. Fighting it directly would probably not be something feasible early on, of course.

I've always found that transformation sequences are a little hard to do justice in a text-based format. But they are indeed important. I also think that moments of levity are important to break up things that would be otherwise bleak or dark, which is why I don't see the two as mutually-exclusive. Without the occasional break of the tension or moment to relax, things just don't work well.

I can say that I don't plan on killing people all the time. Sure, some enemies might get that treatment, but many will have the good sense to, if they can, run away to fight again later. I tend no to lean too heavily on killing the protagonists, either. Although there are, of course, fates worse than death.

Reactions: Custodiet Teh
Felt I should attach this! Done from mobile so don’t expect anything too in depth.

* What things from the Lovecraft Mythos would you like to see? If there is a specific god or monster you like, let me know. If there are specific themes or styles you like, mention those as well.

I have a soft spot for “Pickman’s model” and “Cool Air”, the short stories of Lovecraft always had a sort of much more lived in feel. Not everything has to be a grandiose epic tale, sometimes a short story of an artist showing off his work in a creepy basement gets the job done.

* What things from magical girl anime would you like to see? I'm mostly looking for themes, tropes, and the like here.

Drama for sure, interpersonal relationship and adapting their ‘magical’ career with their home life. Trashy and typical, I know, but it’s fun and leads to more in depth development. Having a lot of tools to work with is always a bonus.

* How dark do you want the RP to get/be?

As dark as need be! I very much enjoy dark and horrible things. Makes triumphing over it much better and it makes falling so much more dramatic!

* How light and/or silly do you want the RP to get/be? This is not mutually-exclusive with the above. You can want a mostly darker tone ,but still occasionally enjoy a moment of levity, and one might argue it can be important every now and again.

I’d say about 40% less ‘light’ than your average marvel movie. I can’t stand snark ruining what should be serious moments.

* How much do you want to worry about the authorities and planning things carefully? The setting's cyberpunk and a bit dystopic. Do you want to be careful to avoid alerting your enemies or the police? Or would you prefer to have few consequences to overt action?

In a good RP, failure is just as much of a success as success is! Consequences are how the world comes alive. Good or bad, I love having them. Especially if they turn up way down the line.

* Do you want death and/or madness to be a major concern? In other words: How much do you want a character to possibly be lost due to either of those?
Of course! Not anything crazy, I don’t like the whole ‘you fall from a window and die” thing, it doesn’t have to be super over the top difficult.

* Is there anything you absolutely do not want to see?

I’ve seen and probably done it all, I feel no fear.

• Thank You
Thanks very much for the answers.

I'm not as sure how to do the smaller-scale stories like that, but I'll try to think of a way. Or at least remember that it doesn't always need to be all big monsters and major gods all the time. The actual stakes are likely to start small-scale anyway. One does not begin one's career by punching Cthulhu in the face.

It looks like so far, there's a fair bit of interest in thing like needing to be aware of the law and such. I might ramp up the surveillance state aspects a bit, might not. Either way, it's filed away for eventual use.

Usually, I try to keep things separate as far as tone goes, so serious moments will probably not just turn silly midway through. There's a time and a place for everything. And it'll usually be obvious enough which is which. Well, I hope. As an example, when you meet antagonists during the "beach episode" and they're also on vacation, it's probably meant to be a sillier moment.

heyo! i'm super interested in joining, so i'll be answering the questionnaire as well 🎶

• What things from the Lovecraft Mythos would you like to see? If there is a specific god or monster you like, let me know. If there are specific themes or styles you like, mention those as well.
I'm not too well-versed in Lovecraftian Mythos- actually, scratch that. I'm not at all familiar with Lovecraftian Mythos with the exception of mainstream Cthulu ( y w y ) (hahahaaa i hope that's okay?). So, to answer your question, I wouldn't mind whatever god or monster you'd like to include.
  • What things from magical girl anime would you like to see? I'm mostly looking for themes, tropes, and the like here.
What I really like about magical girls or superheroes is the struggle to balance between their normal daily life and their extraordinary one. Like, the psychological effects of having to suddenly be deployed in combat against unknown supernatural beings. Or have their actions as a magical girl affect their daily lives like they had a battle at the city square or something and because of that, that area is now sectioned off or etc. I think that would be a fun thing to do!

I guess, as dark as it could get without it being too over or cringey? I really like exploring dark themes and that tends to capture my attention more. So, I wouldn't necessarily mind as to how dark it gets because characters suffering? That's fuuuun.

• How light and/or silly do you want the RP to get/be? This is not mutually-exclusive with the above. You can want a mostly darker tone ,but still occasionally enjoy a moment of levity, and one might argue it can be important every now and again.
Oooo, well, I tend to prefer a good balance of dark and light situations. Sure, the overall roleplay can have a dark tone (because the situations the characters find themselves in seem pretty bad from the get go lol) but having small light / silly moments here and there would be good. After all, they're teenagers-- they can't be serious all the time.

• How much do you want to worry about the authorities and planning things carefully? The setting's cyberpunk and a bit dystopic. Do you want to be careful to avoid alerting your enemies or the police? Or would you prefer to have few consequences to overt action?
I would really prefer for our characters' actions to have consequences rather than the latter. I think that really fit the dystopic setting you have as well as making the threat of being a magical girl bigger? Like I said before, maybe have their actions as a magical girl affect their normal lives and etc.
  • Do you want death and/or madness to be a major concern? In other words: How much do you want a character to possibly be lost due to either of those?
Yep! I feel as though that would be an essential part of the work when it comes to suddenly becoming a fighter against old all-powerful deities. Though, I think I would like the madness or the psychological effects of being a child soldier against unknown supernatural beings to be more emphasised rather than death.

I can't think of anything that comes to mind as of now. But I am pretty okay with a lot of things.

• Thank You
Sorry for the delay in replying. We're under lockdown and my mood and motivation has been going all over the place. Especially given how my work has just exploded while I'm having to manage family.

I'm actually more interested in exploring the interactions between humanity and Elder things. The weird stuff is kinda cool but after a while it's basically reading a thesaurus. Whereas looking into how people get involved with this stuff, their motivations, and the kinds of horrors absolutely regular people will commit is fascinating, if maybe dark and depressing.
I'll echo a couple of other replies here and say "Gap". The juxtaposition of fending off cosmic horrors before breakfast and then running down the street with a slice of toast in your mouth because fighting The Colour Out of Space made you late for school.
I can deal with a fair amount of dark. I'd draw the line at say, "Silence of the Lambs".
Light is good. I don't write silly well, but I'm fine with light.
I think it should be a factor, but I'd prefer most of it be kept background, or done by default unless it's a major plot point. Otherwise it gets a bit tiring having to remember to do all the cleanup every time.
Yes, they should be on the table, but it has to be of some significance - something that's the topic of an arc in itself, rather than a random thing (unless of course said random thing happens because someone has to drop out of the game, and then we build an arc around dealing with it).
Weird thing to say in a game about school-aged kids fighting Cthulhu, but I'd rather not have to deal with stuff involving children, at least not below teenage. It would... cut too close to the bone, for reasons.

• Thank You
And again, thanks for the replies. I think I'll save further rambling on things for now. I will say though that knowledge of the Mythos is not required at all. It really just amounts to a set of creatures and terms to use as dressing for a story.

While I'm sure people are working on characters, would anyone like some example tagers or other such things? I wasn't sure if it would be helpful (or just too much clutter in the OP), but I can toss some stuff up if anyone thinks it'd be handy.

I’ve actually played a nightmare tager before. Way back when and on a different site. I’m currently shopping around character ideas and arcs, have there been any major updates since like 2014?

To CthulhuTech? Not that I know of. There's a playtest thing for second edition that added some things for tagers (and does look pretty neat, to be honest) but nothing really new in there.

Rats, not a big deal then. Does anyone have any objection to my character being a Widow Tager? I have an idea forming.

Go for it, I'm thinking of writing up a Spectre myself.

Because I might as well, here we go. All of these are going to be a bit adapted from the Cthulhutech write-ups, because unless we want to be rolling dice or the like, all the numbers for attributes wouldn't matter whatsoever. The whole hybrid form thing comes from the 2nd edition playtest so it also doesn't have "official" stuff for any tagers outside of the core four.

Also, note that if you find something neat you'd like to use for artwork, or have a different concept, feel free to go with it. Consider these examples, rather than the only options.

The Eldritch Society Guide to Tagers

• Nightmare

Natural Weapons:
    The typical nightmare has vicious talons tipping its fingers, a set of tentacles usually retracted in one forearm that can be used for entangling attacks, and shoulder pods capable of firing powerful blasts of crimson energy. Some other options include a ranged projectile that travels along solid surfaces and can be used to shoot around corners or cover, and a variety of other physical attacks.

Limit Weapon: Mystic Blast - The nightmare charges up and fires a terrifying blast of energy that cuts a swath of destruction 2 meters wide and as tall as the tager. The mystic blast continues for a long distance, destroying everything in its path, and can be used to destroy structures and armored targets like mecha or vehicles just as easily as enemies on foot.

Attributes: The typical nightmare strongly favors physical strength, with lesser boosts to toughness and agility. Nightmares are heavily armored and regenerate at a truly frightening rate, usually able to bounce back from near death to full fighting form in a matter of minutes.

Supernatural Abilities: Nightmares have night vision, thermal vision, and the ability to sense life force, but have few other abilities. More than most tagers, the nightmare is a physical powerhouse.

Personality Traits: Those bound to a nightmare tend to become more menacing, intimidating, and murderous. Nightmares enjoy fighting and killing, and prefer a good challenge. They can be cold-tempered and impatient, often questioning and even rebellious, but terrifying once they’ve set their mind to something.

Hybrid form: Eyes turn solid black, can grow talons or tentacles, and gain one supernatural sense.

Personal Thoughts: Nightmares are about as subtle as a brick to the face. Big, strong melee bruisers who can just wade into the thick of it. Their ranged attacks are powerful, but it’s a bit of a waste to hang back and shoot when so much of them is focused on being a physical powerhouse. Their limit weapon is your typical anime wave motion gun, though.

• Phantom

Natural Weapons:
    A Phantom usually develops either powerful claws or blades that extend from the forearms, a beam of pure force projected from its forehead, and a powerful howl that can disrupt the equilibrium of its target.

Limit Weapon: Tentacle Maw - A mass of tentacles bursts out of the Phantom’s chest, covering a 30 ft long cone in front of them. Everything in the area is attacked, and one target at random is grabbed to be dragged back and eaten by the symbiont, killing them if they can’t break free.

Attributes: A generalist, most Phantoms have moderate boosts across the board, strong armor, and pretty good regeneration.

Supernatural Abilities: Phantoms have enhanced hearing, nightvision, and the ability to sense life force. Some can taunt enemies or cover effectively for allies by leaping in front of blows meant for others.

Personality Traits: Prepared, controlled, and wary. Thoughtful, aware of their surroundings and driven to protect others, particularly allies and those close to them. Confident, at ease, and with a sense of freedom.

Hybrid Form: Eyes turn blood red, can sprout claws/blades or use howl attack, and gain one supernatural sense.

Personal Thoughts: One of the more common tager manifestations and a solid front-line fighter across the board. Phantoms are an average sort of tager, nothing too impressive in any one area, but very effective generalists. The second edition playtest has them in a sort of tank role, with abilities to cover for allies or get enemy attention more easily. Note that the howl attack can be useful to knock flying foes right out of the air. Phantoms probably have one of the cooler and more terrifying limit weapons.

• Shadow

Natural Weapons:
    Shadows have claws or thorns they can use for melee attacks, and can fire needles from their forearms. Some have quills that fire in bursts around them, or barbs that allow them to easily leap onto an enemy and grab them.

Limit Weapon: Death Lotus - The Shadow seems to split into several duplicates as it rapidly teleports around the area, striking multiple times near-simultaneously from multiple angles. This attack can target multiple enemies or a single one, each individual strike directed as the tager chooses.

Attributes: High agility and perception, low strength. Weaker armor than more combat-oriented tagers. Nightvision, thermal vision, and life force senses.

Supernatural Abilities: Shadows can cloak themselves in an invisibility field, becoming almost impossible to see. They cannot move faster than a walking pace, engage in combat, or touch any living thing of dog size or larger or the effect breaks. X-ray scans and senses will also reveal invisible tagers immediately. The Shadow may extend their invisibility to one other living being of the same mass, and must stay in physical contact with the recipient for the effect to persist.

Many of a Shadow’s attacks deliver an organic paralytic poison, notably their thorns and needles.

Personality Traits: Patient and lethal, Shadows are practical and efficient. They tend to speak out against hasty action, and favor deception and well-placed lies. As one might expect, they prefer ambush tactics, and have no qualms whatsoever about killing. They are often detail-oriented and make careful plans. They enjoy getting places they shouldn’t be, and learning things they shouldn’t know.

Hybrid Form: Eyes turn yellow, gain one supernatural sense, and invisibility.

Personal Thoughts: A stealthy infiltrator and outright assassin capable of dishing out a surprising amount of damage. The paralytic poison (well, properly venom, whatever) does require that an attack penetrates enemy armor and does some amount of damage, in rules we aren’t really tracking here. It can be quite nasty though, providing good crowd control to lock enemies down and keep them from doing much of anything.

• Whisper

Natural Weapons:
    The typical Whisper has claws or entangling whips that typically extend from the forearms. Whispers are also armed with powerful radiant bombs that are most effective when dropped from the air and can blind and disorient targets in their area of effect.

Limit Weapon: Razor Wing - The Whisper’s armor and speed increase dramatically for a powerful flying charge. They may attack any number of targets in a relatively straight line up to their now impressive movement range. Both useful in a harrying offensive or to escape a difficult situation by punching a hole if there wasn’t already one.

Attributes: Very high perception, high agility, low strength and toughness. Lightly armored and average regeneration.

Supernatural Abilities: The Whisper’s senses are second to none, sporting the usual night vision and life force senses, as well as thermal vision, sonar, enhanced audio, x-ray senses to detect invisible things or see through walls, and all of them function accurately at longer range than normal. Whispers possess insectile wings and can fly.

Personality Traits: Feisty, frenetic, and enjoying beauty in all its forms. Impulsive and possessed of an indomitable spirit. Not one to give up easily and often relentless. Jaded and slow to anger. Always looking around at the surroundings for trouble, or just something interesting. Not one to back down from a fight, even if they aren’t the strongest.

Hybrid Form: Eyes become segmented like an insect’s, gain one supernatural sense, and can sprout wings and fly.

Personal Thoughts: Recon specialist for when being sneaky isn’t as important as being able to see forever. One of the few tagers with the ability to fly, an often-essential part of a magical girl’s kit. The limit weapon’s a bit weird and probably requires more tactical use.

• Echo

Natural Weapons:
    The Echo is one of the only tagers to clearly have a mouth, sporting an impressive maw filled with rows of serrated teeth that it uses as its primary melee attack. Echoes can also fire beams of green electricity that are as effective underwater as on dry land, and otherwise comparable to a Phantom’s ranged attack. Underwater, an Echo can project a cloud of ink that obscures sight for a 5 meter radius around the tager. On land, it can instead spit a stream of ink at an enemy’s eyes and face to blind them until they manage to wipe it off.

Limit Weapon: When it has scented fresh blood, the Echo may enter a short-duration frenzy, gaining increased speed and ferocity. Its bite attack becomes even stronger, but it can only act to either attack an enemy, or move to an enemy to attack while the frenzy state lasts. While underwater, the Echo churns up a froth of bubbles that partially obscures the area around it while the state lasts. The tager may end this state at any time at will.

Attributes: Echoes have an attribute spread that tends to be average boosts across the board. Truly amphibious, the Echo has an incredibly fast speed when swimming underwater. Echoes have the same armor and regenerative capabilities as a Phantom.

Supernatural Abilities: Echoes have an acute sense of smell and taste, nightvision, the ability to sense life-force, sonar, and thermal vision. As an amphibious being, the Echo can breathe normally in any liquid containing oxygen, and suffers no issues when acting underwater, moving just as freely as if in air.

Personality Traits: Echoes are aggressive and primal. They are drawn to deep water, heavily influenced by scents, and tend to develop a love of instinct and obsession for chewing on hard or tough foods. The sheer exuberance with which you meet combat is often unmatched.

Hybrid Form: The whites of the eyes turn black. Can (somehow) manifest the tager’s powerful jaws to attack.

Personal Thoughts: A street shark. The Echo on down are all tagers not included in the 2e playtest, so there aren’t “canon” things for their hybrid forms, I’m just making stuff up that feels appropriate, if I include anything. I feel like the shark-like black eyes should really go to this guy and the Nightmare has something else.

• Mirage

Natural Weapons:
    Mirages can project powerful beams of light from the mystic field that surrounds them. Razor-tipped tentacles grow from each shoulder of the tager, and can be used to attack, or even as rudimentary hands, but not to entangle foes. These tentacles can be retracted.

Limit Weapon: Multiplicity - The Mirage generates 6-10 illusory copies of itself, and randomly changes places with one of them to conceal itself within the group. The copies either act independently or follow the lead of the tager that created them. Since the illusions cannot cause harm or be harmed, it’s easy for foes to figure out they’re fighting illusions.

Attributes: Favors agility over strength, otherwise fairly average. Lightly armored, average regenerative ability.

Supernatural Abilities: Mirages can project a displacement field that allows them to appear a few feet away from where they actually are. They cannot be surprised, as attacks are inevitably aimed at the illusion, and the tager gains several advantages in avoiding attacks. Detecting the true position of the tager is extremely difficult, but not impossible, and some supernatural senses may be able to defeat it entirely. Night vision and life force senses.

Personality Traits: Mirages are precise and cautious. They tend to have precise bodily control and confident awareness. One often develops a more guarded personality and a desire to blend into the background.

Hybrid Form: Eyes become reflective metallic, like mirrors. The tager gains access to their displacement field.

Personal Thoughts: The other most common tager type. Not as combat-oriented, but still quite dangerous. Their limit weapon is definitely one for tactical trickery to do things like conceal numbers or provide a good distraction for an escape.

• Sepctre

Natural Weapons:
    The spectre’s touch is supernaturally cold, leaving frost on whatever it touches, and is one of its primary weapons. Alternatively, the spectre may use its natural phasing ability to cause minor damage to a foe. Spectres emit a fog in a 5 meter radius around them that stinks of death and decay, causing those within it to wither and materials to decay as if aging rapidly. Environmental protection is no defense against this attack, and it affects other tagers, except for other Spectres. The mist produced by a Spectre is obscuring, partially obscuring sight, with additional applications making it even harder to see.

Limit Weapon: Phasing - The spectre phases into a single target and materializes, violently displacing the flesh and bone, and then proceeds to tear its way out of the victim, should they still be intact.

Attributes: Average across the board. Lighter armor and slower regeneration.

Supernatural Abilities: The Spectre can become insubstantial, capable of passing through objects as if they were air. This ability only functions for casual movement, meaning the spectre cannot phase through bullets. It cannot rematerialize inside an object (except via its limit attack) or it will be destroyed. A spectre can control this ability well enough to not phase through the floor or the ground it stands on unless it chooses to do so. Areas that are mystically warded against Outsiders will stop a spectre from entering.

The spectre may share this phasing ability with another target of equal mass, but must remain in physical contact with them to sustain the effect.

Spectres have thermal vision, in addition to the usual night vision and life force senses.

Personality Traits: Spectres are resolved and aloof. They are emotionally distant, often finding it hard to maintain bonds with those who are no of supernatural nature. Precise and determined.

Hybrid Form: Eyes become clouded, as if long dead. The tager gains their phasing ability.

Personal Thoughts: Another assassin and infiltrator, although not the invisible stalker of the Shadow so much as a slasher villain who WILL find you, you can’t hide, and nowhere is safe. They even make their own terrifying chill fog surroundings. Since that mist damages other tagers, they may not play well with others. The precise use of phasing to attack instead of an icy touch feels like an appropriate fluff option. Same overall effect, but a cool application of their natural abilities.

• Vampire

Natural Weapons:
    Vampires have an exsanguinating touch that causes blood to boil and pout from a living victim. The same mystical energies can also cause inanimate objects to decay, damaging them just as effectively. Vampires also fire terrifying barbed projectiles that are just as damaging as a Nightmare’s ranged attacks. Some vampires can mentally dominate others, causing them to stand by in a stupor, or emit bursts of completely obscuring darkness around them.

Limit Weapon: Bloodbath - A crimson sphere of energy dropped like a bomb from the air that throws shards of energy for 20 feet in all directions when it bursts on impact. Living things caught within begin hemorrhaging internally and also bleed from their nose, eyes, ears, and cough up blood. This attack doesn’t damage non-living things, passing completely through non-mystical armor. Even powered armor, armored vehicles, and mecha offer no protection, as the attack will pass right through them to injure the people within. Other tagers, including other Vampires, are not immune to this attack.

Attributes: Strong boosts to agility, perception, and strength. Not nearly as strength-focused as the Nightmare, and a more all-rounder in the same overall weight class. Has the same armor and regenerative ability as a Nightmare.

Supernatural Abilities: Vampires have wings and can fly. They have the usual senses, plus enhanced hearing, thermal vision, and sonar.

Personality Traits: Vampires are sadistic and deadly. They often feel a need to inflict pain and have a literal thirst for blood. Patient and arrogant. Love high places and looking down on others literally as well as figuratively.

Hybrid Form: The whites of the eyes turn blood red and the irises turn golden. The tager gains their exsanguinating touch attack.

Personal Thoughts: Blood, blood, blood. The same general “class” of tager as a Nigthmare, but a bit more balanced, and they can fly. Their limit weapon doesn’t play well with others, so careful targeting is important.

• Efreet

Natural Weapons:
    Efreets strike with burning, mace-like fists, or entangling whips of burning filaments. Efreets cal also exhale flames like a dragon, highly damaging but with very limited range compared to most tagers. Some can also emit bursts of flame, damaging everything around them.

Limit Weapon: Meteor Swarm - The Efreet causes burning rocks to rain down on an absolutely massive area, attacking everything within it and damaging mecha and armored vehicles just as effectively as human scale targets.

Attributes: Efreets favor strength possibly even more than Nightmares, and are tougher, but not as agile or perceptive. Has the same armor and regenerative ability as a Nightmare or Vampire.

Supernatural Abilities: The skin of an Efreet burns with heat and seams in it glow with fire. Even if it consciously dampens the effects, an Efreet will leave char marks with every step and on anything it touches. It can ignite any flammable materials with a touch, and anything touching or striking the Efreet will be burned. The burning nature of an Efreet makes it very difficult to hide, as it glows like a beacon. Underwater, the area around an Efreet is filled with obscuring bubbles as the water boils. The Efreet is immune to harm from fire and plasma weapons.

Personality Traits: Efreets are proud and righteous, and often feel unstoppable. They appreciate those around them but feel superior. Unlike even other tagers, Efreets develop a passionate hatred for the servants of the Old Ones and other enemies. They bear a strong moral conviction.

Hybrid Form: Eyes glow with spectral fire. Can manifest the Efreet’s burning fists, and become resistant to fire and heat.

Personal Thoughts: Paladins of fire and death. Design-wise, I feel like the art for this one misses its mark. Every other tager is some form of organic, and I wish the efreet followed suit a bit more. One of the two extremely rare tager types, and in the same class as the Nightmare and Vampire, but better because it’s even less common. By far the best at simply blowing up everything in sight with their limit attack.

• Widow

Natural Weapons:
    Widows have vicious piercing fangs that they can use in melee and inject a disorienting venom, and can fire caustic webbing from their spinnerets that damage and entangle enemies. Some can also develop bladed claws or spin dense webs usable as temporary shields.

Limit Weapon: Cocoon - The Widow bursts into a flurry of activity and completely encloses a single target in webbing. This attack can be used to simply incapacitate,dealing only minor damage, or the Widow can inject a potent acid within the cocoon to heavily damage the target in addition to trap them. Either way, the webbing traps the target for several minutes.

Attributes: High agility and perception, lower strength and toughness.

Supernatural Abilities: Acute smell and taste, enhanced hearing, thermal vision, the usual night vision and life force senses. Widows have spinnerets that allow them to produce an infinite supply of sticky, caustic webbing. A single strand can support up to half a ton. The organic fluids that render the webs caustic become inert in a few seconds, at which point the webs are only sticky, entangling webs. As one would expect, a Widow can spin webs in advance to capture prey, in addition to firing them out as attacks. Widows do not stick to their webs or those of other Widows.

The fangs of a Widow can inject a powerful disorienting venom. This causes them to be confused and have difficulty in aiming attacks or taking other actions. The effect is not cumulative, additional doses can only prolong the effect.

Widows can sprout a set of four additional legs to skitter around on surfaces at frightening speeds, and are supernaturally terrifying. Most tagers are clearly monstrous, but it’s hard to tell these are even the good guys.

Personality Traits: Widows are terrifying and monstrous. They tend to have an affinity for dark places, and develop a patient and cold-blooded nature. They often take a perverse pleasure in the grotesque. Widows enjoy frightening others, and striking from ambush.

Hybrid Form: Can use the spinnerets to fire webbing.

Personal Thoughts Not sure on the visual tell for this one’s hybrid form, either. Spider-man, only with the horror filter on. The other rare tager, and creepy and monstrous even by other tager standards. Yes, I figure they get their ability to webbing when in hybrid form just for spider-man web-slinging shenanigans.

Pretty much all of the above, including images, is cribbed somehow from the Cthulhutech core book, and the supplements Vade Mecum and Ancient Enemies.

How's everyone doing character-wise and such? Heck, with the pandemic and all, how's everyone doing in general?

I'm thinking about running a Nightmare, myself. Though I am also debating whether or not I should run a character at all, aside from the various NPCs. It's always an odd call for the GM-type person.

Hey, this looks like a pretty neat concept. I'm not going to answer the questionnaire right now, but I do have a question or two of my own. Most importantly, if I could just take one of your Tager examples as is? If you'd rather see player creativity, I'll try and make something, though. It's just that I'd be pretty unsure about doing so, since I have no knowledge about Cthulhutech. Even Cthulhu mythos itself I only know of (and I think I might have read a minor story or two some years ago), so I hope that wouldn't be too much of a problem. A dark magical girl type RP with Lovecraftian elements still seems like something I could enjoy, though. On that note, since the setting is in Japan, I'm assuming we're also using that educational system, so the girls should be in junior or senior high school (and for the sake of practicality, this would all be in the same building complex, as you mentioned), right?

Cthulhuteh is mostly used for some setting things and there's not a huge expectation from me that anyone follow it closely at all. It's where the ideas are from, but what we do with them is up to us, I guess. That being said, you're free to use the examples as-is or with slight changes. They're there to be used, but I don't want people to feel like they have to use them only.

There's no need to know a lot about Lovecraft's works or the Mythos in general. It is mostly fluff from familiar names and things like that. The other side of the coin would be the typical style of cosmic horror or similar, and that will also be present to some extent, although not so much the "and you can do nothing about it" side.

Yes, since the setting is in Japan, the characters are junior and senior high school age. They're all in the same school that covers multiple years for the sake of practicality. Characters in the same year in school will probably be in the same class for even more ease of collecting them together, although I don't know how much of the focus of the RP will involve the boring parts of day to day school life. There will probably still be scenes at school (got to balance everyday life and fighting monsters, and all), but there won't be a big focus on, say, what's happening in every class. Just scenes at appropriate times through he day or whatever. At least, that's my thoughts on the matter. Nobody wants to roleplay through paying attention during class. Hanging out at lunch, or when something unusual happens, sure. I suppose the Persona games (well, Persona 3 and on) would be a good example of the sort of glossing over everyday school life I'd consider normal.

Last edited:
I had a pretty bad week last week with a lot of anxiety and so on, but it's got better now. The lockdown is continuing where I am but our numbers are good and holding well, so I'm a little more hopeful. Enough so to work on this anyway. Consider this a WIP.

Name: Shibata Kaori 柴田 香織
Appearance
0ee3f5a1f83c4654ed57372bb6ae6f511eb0f02f.jpg
Kaori has a definite "gyaru" vibe going, with her platinum hair, skimpy clothing, and attitude. Her style and demeanour, combined with her height and slender frame, mean she always stands out in a crowd - not always in a good way.

History: Kaori doesn't have a very happy family life. Her father left a long time ago, when she was in kindergarten, and her mom works long and weird hours as a hostess to keep the family going. Her brother Ryo is a meathead who dropped out of school and gets by in his construction job. Kaori doesn't spend much time at home, preferring to hang out wherever as much as she can.
For all that she stands out and acts like she doesn't care about anything though, she's surprisingly studious. She pretends to slack off in class but she actually spends a lot of time keeping up with her studies. Some of her teachers have noticed, which is why she doesn't get into more trouble than she does - she's got a real shot at going to a decent university if she can keep her grades up. Her secret dream is to study law and get into politics.

Personality: Kaori is cool and distant and affects an air of disdain for just about everything that normies find important. She's quite polarising - a lot of the regular kids can't stand her attitude, but plenty think she rocks. She even has a little fan club among the middle schoolers, which she finds equal parts annoying and endearing. They'll never catch her at it, but she does look out for them.
As time has gone by with her symbiote, though, she has found her act becoming real - she has never felt much sympathy for the petty concerns and jealousies of the crowd, but it's beginning to turn into chilly contempt.

Tager type: Spectre

Appearance:
583c87adaf95d3a9a3956856116f0284.jpg

Natural weapons:
The Spectre form is covered in claws and sharp edges that make even touching it a hazardous prospect; to make it worse, they exude a deathly chill that condenses fluid from the air, which mixes with its noxious secretions to form a solution that's toxic even to non-human beings, let alone simple organics like humans.

Limit Weapon:
Phase Burst - The Spectre phases inside its opponent and then materialises. The target looks stunned for a moment, then starts screaming in agony as the Spectre's sharp-edged surfaces begin to slice its skin open, while its internals are disrupted by the Spectre's own body, and exposed to its toxins. A thick, foul ichor trickles from the rents in its skin, before it all finally bursts apart in a nauseating display of body horror. Think Fist of the North Star if it was directed by David Lynch.

Other supernatural Abilities:
Phasing; obscurement.

Personality traits:
Cold rationality, and a contempt for petty emotions and drives. Kaori will find dredging up empathy for others - never her strongest suit in any case - a challenge. Solutions to problems will seem obvious to her, as she no longer has time for dealing with fear or anxiety. Everything will simply be weighed in terms of utility. But how does one define utility when there is no emotional basis for determining what one values?

Hybrid Form:
Kaori's eyes turn milky-white, as if she's suddenly gone blind - but a moment's inspection will reveal them to be swirling subtly, as if they were filled with clouds. She gains the ability to phase through solid material.

Last edited:
I had a pretty bad week last week with a lot of anxiety and so on, but it's got better now. The lockdown is continuing where I am but our numbers are good and holding well, so I'm a little more hopeful. Enough so to work on this anyway. Consider this a WIP.

Glad to hear things are going better for you and your area. We're still in stay home and practice social distancing mode here, and the cases are also still low, so it's working as far as my own local area goes. I keep feeling like i have too much time on my hands, to be honest. It is a strange feeling. It probably goes without saying, but take it easy if you need to.

Thinking some more, while a nightmare is probably a solid choice for the sort of character I'd be going with, I am also tempted to make a tager that's more ranged combat and/or support oriented. Simply because there really isn't one, though there's probably a reason for that in that you generally only need the one attack. I will have to think on this.

I’ll have something up either tonight or tomorrow. I have a gaijin trope to play up ;P

Glad to hear things are going better for you and your area. We're still in stay home and practice social distancing mode here, and the cases are also still low, so it's working as far as my own local area goes. I keep feeling like i have too much time on my hands, to be honest. It is a strange feeling. It probably goes without saying, but take it easy if you need to.

Thanks for the kind words. I've been kind of run off my feet with family stuff and work and just... dealing with a lot of things, I guess. But it's sort of settled into some kind of a routine for now, and as things outside settle down a bit I'm also a little more able to catch my breath.

@Custodiet Teh, looking forward to seeing your sheet!