Majora's Mask 3DS [WARNING: Here There Be Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for responding! I'll have to buy it. Though, I just bought another game. My bank needs time to recharge XD

Thanks for responding! I'll have to buy it. Though, I just bought another game. My bank needs time to recharge XD
Of course I was gonna respond! This is my thread and I feel somewhat obligated. Besides, Majora's Mask is my FAVORITE zelda! And I agree, give your bank time to recharge.

Ah, I haven't been able to play Skyward Sword or A Link Between Worlds. Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game as well.

Just completed Snowhead Temple and am in love with the game again. This is my childhood. Simply sublime. I wish more Zelda games featured as many sidequests as Majora's Mask does.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Ah, I haven't been able to play Skyward Sword or A Link Between Worlds. Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game as well.
My mom beat Skyward Sword. Okay story. Still don't like the style. I'm working on A Link Between Worlds. It's a lot like A Link to the Past.

I felt much more involved in each character's back story in MM, so there was more motivation to not let the moon fall. Though, I think the intro could have been handled differently.

So I found out I'm not crazy, they messed up the swimming mechanics. Thank you ProtonJon Stream. The "mermaid" kinda swim....shouldn't be friggin paired with the electric shield. That's a big issue. :/ makes it annoying.

Alright, now that I've beat the game 100%, I feel like giving my final thoughts on it.

Overall? It's a really great game, I think I've had more fun playing this game than I ever did with the original. They made so many necessary changes that it made the old one look like complete crap. For one, the song of double time is so much better now that you can pick what hour to fast forward to. Also, the new save system, need I say more? And the way they handled the Bomber's Notebook in this version makes managing side quests that much easier. I like being able to talk to the Bomber members and it'll take note of any information they tell me, it helped seeing as how I haven't played the original in so long and my memory was a little stale. Only once or twice did I have to look something up, and it was more for confirmation than anything. Speaking of the side quests, however, they did make quite a few changes to some of them. To get the inn reservation now, you have to talk to Anju in the afternoon as goron Link, which makes sense, really, so I'm not too bothered by that change. They also moved the bottle you get from fighting the Big Poe in the graveyard and replace it with a piece of heart instead. You get new new bottle by giving the priority mail the Kafei's mother, and I have no real qualms with that, honestly; it always did feel a little weird to get a bottle out of fighting that Big Poe. One thing that did kinda throw me off a bit, though, was that they add a brand new side quest to get a seventh bottle that I'm pretty sure wasn't in the N64 version, and I'm preeeetty sure they only added that in to fill in all the item slots; again, not really complaining too much.

As for the changed boss fights... I rather enjoyed them. The boss fights in the old version were mundane and repetitive, to be frank, which isn't good for a game with so few of them. I found the changed versions of them to be all around more enjoyable, plus I really liked having to re-learn how to fight them, it took me back to my childhood when I first played this game for the N64. I honesty don't understand what has you so upset about it, @LunaValentine, maybe you could explain your reasoning to me? The Twinmold fight wasn't even that bad, again, I rather enjoyed it. I don't really care that they moved the Giant's Mask to the middle of the boss fight, it was still fun. The mask is so much more epic in the 3DS version too, just the way Link transforms and then freakin' punches Twinmold with his bare fists. The slow speed... eh, it didn't really bother me all that much for whatever reason. Although I will admit the second half of the fight was a little annoying at first, until I remembered that I had I freakin' guard button, after that it went back to being fun and epic. The final boss was alright, mostly the same with a few changes in pattern, but none that really affected the fight a huge deal.

Now onto the changes I didn't like, which is very few. First off, Zora swimming, pairing the mermaid swim with the magic barrier was a bad move on Nintendo's part. I just wanna be able to swim fast without wasting my magic meter, is that so much to ask? And why do you gotta make it so I can't keep mermaid swimming once my magic runs out, what the hell, man? The Gyorg dungeon, which a lot of people seem to hate, I didn't find to be that bad. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like it and I would have prefer it if they'd stuck with the original one, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was lead to believe. Although, that's probably I had mastered the dolphin jump towards the end of the game and got lucky with choosing the paths... Also, a very minor complaint, but I did not at all like how they changed goron rolling. Instead of holding the button down, you tap it once to roll up and tap it again to unroll; honestly, I very much prefer the old way, the new way just feels.... unnatural.

There's also a few things that they didn't change that I would have liked if they did. For one, the goron race was still just as much of a pain as ever, I really wish the other gorons didn't knock me out of my roll so freakin' easily, there's enough of a challenge there without that little hinderence. And the beavers, oh god those stupid, bloody beavers. Why couldn't they have just made the rings intangible, instead of allowing me to bump my head into them like a hundred fucking times. It's even harder this time around thanks to needing magic to swim faster. It ain't easy hitting those jars on the bottom while simutaneously swimming through rings, and you aren't always lucky enough to pick up the magic that they drop. Ugh... I swear to god, no one ever mention beavers to me ever again, I don't wanna have to kill you.

So yeah, those are my thoughts on the matter. In general, Majora's Mask 3D is a really awesome game, a few minor complaints, but not nearly enought to deter my newfound love for it. The game looks absolutely freakin' amazing in 3D, by the way. I recommend playing in on the New 3DS XL if ya can, it has much better 3D than the original 3DS. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna play me some Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, another Nintendo game that just came out recently~

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hatsune Candy For the Boss fights: They changed how you defeat them. It took a LOT less time to kill them before without having to hit that damn eye. Odowala was just hit him when you could, basically the eye just makes them all friggin longer than they used to be. I have a little bit of a problem with depth at times but i couldn't tell when I was too close to the boss or not. I personally found the races easy but I didn't do the mermaid swim during the beaver races but a hint would've been to make sure you have double magic. I'm also used to all the races and have them more or less memorized. As for the Giant's Mask, you used to get it near the end of the dungeon so you went in, slapped it on, and kicked some ass. It was a lot shorter back then (which was great)......But that's just me. You may like them and that's cool. I understand STYLE-WISE why they did that, connects 'em all back to Majora, really hammering in that it's all her fault.

Majora's Mask is STILL my favorite game. There's no reason for me to hate this version. I just detest the fact that they're so different for the reason of connecting them and making them longer

A tip for the Odowala fight: If you hold down the R button while flying as a Deku, it tilts the camera down and gives you a little target for exactly where your Deku Nuts will land.

I guess it's just personal preference then, I like longer fights because I get more out of it, with shorter fights I just feel a little cheated. I admit it's annoying for when you re-fight a boss and just want it to be over with, but if you play you're cards right and know what you're doing, you generally don't have to fight any of the bosses again, except for maybe Goht, thanks to that silly frog side quest.

Besides, I didn't find the boss fights to be that much longer anyways; except for Gyorg, which is admittedly my least favorite of the changed fights, but at the same time, I've always hated fighting Gyorg. Twinmold didn't take me much longer, though, because I pretty much blitzed through the first part of the fight. Odowala is still fairly short as long as you use the trick I mentioned. And Goht was always a long one, due to having to chase him around as a goron. I think shooting the eye with fire arrows actually made it a tad easier while simutaneously adding variety, but without lengthening the fight too much; if anything, it was a little bit shorter.

Here's the thing, it's not supposed to be longer. You're on a time limit, it should be a quick thing. Gyorg was my least favorite of them too. But I didn't have a problem with Odolowa, but I don't fight him in Scrub form because it's MUCH easier for me to fight him and shoot him. Goht was just a little different in that you had to hit a specific spot. Gyorg was harder but Twinmold took the longest, and by that I mean only the second half. I thought it was a LOT longer than it needed to be and just by constantly getting hit and not being able to keep up with him made me rage pretty damn hard. Goht isn't hard if you get used to the rolling mechanics really. The aim for him is to land on his back using the jumps, then he goes down pretty easily.

Again, just my opinion. I totally agree that Gyorg was the hardest. But Twinmold for me was the longest.

You are on a time limit, true, but I still don't see a huge problem with the longer fights, like I said, most of them really aren't that much longer than before and unless you're on the night of the final day when you start the fight, you're unlikely to run out of time. From what it sounds like, your major qualm with the new boss fights is with the Twinmold one being too long. Though, the thing about the Twinmold fight for me, is that's always been pretty long. On the N64, I have trouble hitting the heads/tails, even with the giant's mask on, and so it takes me a good while to beat him, even so I never once had to worry about the time limit. And when fighting him in the new version it took me just as long to defeat him as it did for the N64, but this time I had more fun in the process. I mean, you can't tell me that Link swinging him around Mario-style wasn't just totally freakin' awesome~ Also, keep in mind it IS one of the last bosses of the game, it'd be kinda silly for it to go by really quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.