Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Transgender
Genres
Yuri, Magical Girl, High Fantasy, Sci-fi, Ray-gun Gothic, Mecha, Steam punk. Scifi Apocalyptic,
It was a day like almost any other, the sky was a bit cloudy and the possibility of rain was keeping most people indoors, of course though some people were not so easily driven inside.
Kelly Jennings was one such person, for whatever reason she was taking a run through the mostly empty park, while most people would assume it to be just a coincidence... Her presence there was far from unexpected...

It was during her run that Kelly would feel something... Something akin to a wash of terror that hit her as if carried along by the wind, filling her with unease.
And before it the feeling could even fully fade, it's source became all too apparent.
As she turned a corner a scene like something out of a nightmare filled her vision, though it's back was to her, she saw a large... Robot? It was easily three times her height, and made of rusted junk, it didn't seem as if it should work and looked like it was held together by some invisible force, the massive body almost coming apart with each shambling step.
It looked like the creature had a target as well!

Becky Alitz, one of her classmates was laying unconscious in the dirt, her body covering something spherical.
The mechanical beast seemed unlikely to stop and leave her though, and was instead shambling in Becky's direction, almost radiating malicious intent.

Of all things Kelly had been prepared for- rain, a twisted ankle- a giant shambling robot was most definitely not on the list. Still, she made the best of it. Quickly analyzing the situation, she determined that the robot and the orb were somehow connected, and that if it was what the robot wanted, then Becky could well be killed in the process of getting it. So she went and grabbed it first.

Unfortunately, Kelly had forgotten one tiny, insignificant detail. Namely, the fact that she would now be the target of the robot's wrath. Oh. Crap.

Reactions: Mahou-Shoujo
The robot seemed to change slightly as she ran in and grabbed the orb, which was a large, clearly crystalline sphere, seemingly perfect in every way, and oddly warm to the touch, as if it hadn't just been laying on the cold ground, there wasn't even a speck of dirt on it!
With her running away the robot stood up higher, it's limbs becoming more solid looking as it shambled after her, slowly gaining ground on her, though fortunately it appeared to lack any kind of ranged weapon, and didn't think to grab one of the objects around it, perhaps it wasn't very smart?
Either way though, it was undoubtedly going to catch her!

As she ran the orb warmed up even more, almost uncomfortably hot now, and as thunder began to mix with the groaning, clanking sounds of the machine, she heard something... Well, almost felt the words actually.
"You can stop it... You have the power, it is within you, just out of reach, I will help you..."
The voice was faint and weak, but with each word strength filled Kelly's body, and something deep inside seemed to reach out.

Kelly stopped dead in her tracks. The metaphor was apt to become literal, given the situation, but things had just managed to become even weirder. The blonde girl listened to the voice in her head, feeling something surge within her, like her entire being was filled with energy just waiting to be unleashed. Okay, we can skip the introductions for the time being, but if I survive this, you're going to have a lot of explaining to do. Now, how do I... do whatever it is you want me to do?

"All will become clear in time... I promise you that..."
The orb? Replied, voice even fainter now, and the light crystal seeming to dim a little, whatever this thing was, it was getting tired.
"Find your core... Your inner strength that you always had... Ahh, but you need this... A focus..."
Part of the crystal seemed to open up and a plain, wooden stave came out.
"This will work for now..."
The strange feeling began to rise up more, reaching for the stave, it felt like she could force it out completely with just a little more concentration!

Kelly didn't have much choice- teenager versus giant robot was a fight that could only end one way. She took the staff in her hand, and instantly was struck by lightning. There was a massive flash, and then there she was, in a black skirt and top with crossed lightning bolts on the chest, topped with a short cape. It took a few seconds for her to regain her composure, but luckily, the monster seemed to be just as confused as she was.

Alright, what now?

"Lightning... Well at least missing will be difficult..."
The sphere commented, seemingly able to see in some way as well as hear.
"In general there is only one way to really win fights... Hit...It..."
As those words appeared in her mind the orb went dark, it seemed she would be on her own in this situation.
At least monster seemed to be already affected, it had stopped a short way from her, seemingly moving into a defensive stance, so it likely understood what had happened even if Kelly didn't, and on closer look, it was actually quite damaged, there were dented and broken pieces all over, and one of the legs was riddled with cracks and fractures.

Kelly stared the creature down, feeling a newfound surge of energy and confidence. Taking the staff in her hand, two words leapt unbidden to her throat. "Thunder Blast!" A bolt of lightning shot out from the staff, damaging the robot's leg. "Okay, I got to admit, that was kind of cool." Another attack further weakened it, but it seemed the thing was still advancing. Alright, what else can I do?

Even as the electricity ran over it's metallic body and the leg all but exploded under the attacks, the machine continued towards her mindlessly, seemingly unaware of the damage it took now that it's apparently target was in reach.
Though right when it was within range to strike, the creature's body tensed up and slammed it's arm into the ground, the electrical current racing through the grass towards Kelly, there was no way to avoid it... Unless... There were several branches above her, far too high for her normally, but she wasn't her normal self right then...

Kelly saw the attack racing towards her as if in slow motion. Even though she apparently had electrical powers, she wasn't sure if that actually extended to absorbing the stuff. Still, there were other ways to do it. Looking up to the tree branches, she cried out, "Lightning Leap!" Turning herself into a flash of electricity, she teleported and reformed in the treetops. "Hey, ugly! Over here! Yoo-hoo!"

The machine seemed confused for a moment, before looking directly at her, clearly it couldn't jump, but it did have ways to reach her, and swung an arm at the nearest tree, the trunk smashing apart where it was hit, and the rest of the tree falling with a loud crash, though from her vantage point she could see something... the top of the creature's 'head' seemed to have been cracked open at some point, revealing a strange, glowing stone covered in odd carvings, it practically screamed weak spot, and the creature was making no attempt to guard it, apparently not even aware of the critical weakness that had been exposed.

Kelly tumbled to the ground as the tree was felled, but she got back up, seemingly no worse for wear. Seeing the stone, she charged, feeling massive amounts of energy build within her body. Electric Explosion! A gigantic burst of lightning ripped out of her in all directions, but enough of it hit the weak spot to destroy the stone completely. The monster collapsed into a pile of junk, and Kelly mentally congratulated herself. Not bad for my first time as a superhero, if I do say so myself. Then, she remembered her classmate lying there unconscious. Running over, she asked, "Are you alright, Becky?"

While the damage to the area and the random junk would certainly draw some attention, for now at least it seemed to go unnoticed, fortunately the town was not very observant, otherwise she would probably be in for questioning by the police at the very least.
Becky was sitting up on her own though she was clearly very dazed still, as well as covered in bruises, it looked like she had taken a beating from that monster, and somehow survived.
"Ehh?... I... I think so..."
She shook her head and seemed to snap out of it.
"The hell?! Why did you never say you were a magical girl?! I coulda used help before now... Stupid crystal keeping secrets..."
She of course seemed to have forgotten her own secrecy on the matter, though perhaps she could at least provide information unknown to Kelly about... Whatever it was that just happened.

Kelly did a full-blown Hollywood double take. Of all the reactions she could have gotten, that was the absolute last one she would have expected. Of course, now was her chance to start getting some answers. "Honestly, I just found out about two minutes ago. So I'm probably even more confused than you are. Mind telling me what's actually going on here?"

That seemed to calm her down somewhat, and she seemed to stop and think for a moment to try and answer her.
"Well... To be honest... I only got my power yesterday... This weird crystal was calling to me or something, and told me it needed help... So I agreed, and it told me I would have help, I thought it meant you? Unless it did mean you but meant it was gonna give more people powers... This is confusing..."
Becky held her head, wincing slightly as she found a bruise, it was no surprise she was confused, Becky was right up at the top of the class in all things physical... And right at the bottom for academic skills.
"So uhh... I don't know about you but I don't wanna be found next to the giant robot thing..."

"Good point on the robot." Kelly helped Becky over to a bench on the other side of the park. It wasn't the most inconspicuous thing, but it was better than being right at the scene of the crime. "Okay, Becky. Tell me everything that happened, everything this crystal told you. Don't leave anything out, no matter how small. It could be critical to figuring out why all this is happening."

Becky managed to make it over with only a little help, it seemed whatever their powers were, healing was definitely among them, hopefully they wouldn't need to use it too often because judging by her expression, pain still worked.
"Umm... Well I already told you I only got my powers yesterday... And it seems like it got tired or something afterwards... But it did tell me someone was hunting it, wanted to use it to get some sort of power and take over the city, then that monster showed up and kicked my ass".
It seemed there wasn't a lot of information to be had from grilling Becky, and the orb was still dark, apparently in it's 'sleeping' mode.

So, the crystal's apparently out of juice, and I don't know why I ever expected answers from Brainless Becky. Wait a minute... Kelly suddenly had an idea, and she thought it was a good one. Setting the orb down on the bench, she zapped it with a bolt of lightning, hoping to recharge and get it talking. After all, it seemed that it was at the center of all this, right?

Becky watched with obvious curiosity as Kelly set the orb down, she may not have been the best at book smarts but she had learned that watching people was the best way to learn what she didn't know... As opposed to actually asking questions, it was little wonder she was so behind.
The bolt hit the orb and at first there was no response... Then the orb slowly lightened, though not as brightly as it had been before.
"I see you are willing to risk breaking me for answers..."
The orb spoke in both their minds, sounding much less exhausted.
"Well I did intend to tell you what you need to know soon anyway, but... May I recommend moving to somewhere safer for now? I have little doubt that the creature's masters have noticed it's destruction".

Last edited:
And now this this robot thing has a boss. This just keeps on getting better and better. Kelly sighed at the news that seemed to only be the beginning. It just wasn't her day. The blonde nodded as the orb spoke. "Okay, Beck. I'll take this thing back to my place. If you'd like, we can meet up Saturday night, really start experimenting with these powers. Deal?" She took the item back to her house, heading up to her room.

"This is the safest place I could think of to take you. By the way, do you have a name? I mean, I'm going to have to call you something."