2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Douche
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Superhero, urban fantasy, space opera, crime thriller, supernatural
Concept; 10% of the world's population has gained magical potential and power over the past three generations. The world itself has changed, as the awakened magic has given rise to anomalies of nature, magical beasts, and floating islands.

The Floating Islands, Icarus, have been deemed potentially live-able. Magisters - trained practitioners of Magic - embark to discover the secrets and mysteries of the Floating Island.

The story will incorporate a system for Magic. Nothing stats-and-dice, but with enough restriction to ensure that everyone can be unique and also creative. The second group of tabs will detail magic in this world.

Happy reading, and feel free to sticky anyone you feel might be interested!

• The basis for this world is Modern Day Earth. That is: assuming Magic has sprouted within the past three generations. Magic has done a number of things to society – namely, that about 10% of the world's population is now capable of magic. As such, practitioners of Magic are often woven into Infrastructure, serving to innovate methods of transportation, mass-production, and the like. Discrimination against magic users, due to their part in society nowadays, is mostly deemed 'unreasonable' and even 'ungrateful', although it is certainly not unheard of. More common, however, is the increasing levels of systemic oppression that result from wishes to protect the other 90% of human population from the potential dangers of the 10%.

Facilities for Magisters are located in prime regions of Magical populations (read Magic section). Magisters are given certification once they are deemed to not be a potential threat to those around them. At a baseline, that is all that is asked of them. Past that, however, there are often two routes strongly encouraged for a Magister to embark upon. Firstly, to lend their hand into aspects of Magical Infrastructure.

And secondly, to explore all the parts of the World that magic has changed.
  • The course of Nature itself has been changed by magic, entire ecosystems upturned by unexplainable force. Magical beasts abound – winged horses, lions the size of houses, as well as flora that has merged with fauna entirely. Magisters are often hired to discover new species of magical beasts, and also to devise measures to protect unaware human society from their potential dangers.

Even more than just animals is the change in environmental aspects of the world, man-made or otherwise. Flourishing forests with unexplainable Arctic-like temperatures, trees that grow colossal fruit, mountains that seem to shift positions overnight.

Particularly notable examples of this are referred to by Magical Historians as the Four Wonders of the New Age

The Great Wall of China: One of the seven former wonders, Magic has altered this man-made construction in extreme ways. Namely, the Great Wall of China has become a living, serpentine construct of sorts, shifting and moving in circles around the country's border.

The Islands, Icarus: Perhaps a rather unfortunate name, given the tale of Icarus, this is a massive flying continent, orbited by scattered floating islands that seems to have materialized from nowhere. While its altitude begets a cold climate, plant life here seems resistant to the effects of weather, and Icarus is deemed potentially livable. Currently, there are disputes as to how to divvy up the Island between countries/continents.

The World Turtle: Named after the old legend, The World Turtle is the inverse of Icarus, an Island that seems to submerge itself once a month, and resurface in an entirely different location. While this generally means that the Island is unfit for habitation, it is itself a paradise, and when it surfaces, full of lush fruit to harvest, and a beautiful place to visit.

The Plains of Eternal Lightning: A stretch of plain in Alberta, Canada where lightning and thunder abound for what seems like eternity, rendering the earth scorched. Entirely unsafe to visit, but there are those who hope to harness its electricity for power.
  • Again, the way Man lives has been changed forever by the presence of Magic. Infrastructure has been altered significantly, and society shaped, for what many claim is the better. Some of the greatest examples of this are as follows.

Craftworks: Vehicles crafted by Transmuters and powered by even novice Evokers, or perhaps simply brought into existence by Conjurers, air-travel at a lower altitude then airplanes, and avoiding the crowded traffic of road vehicles are commonplace now – jetpacks, air-shops, hovercraft abound.

Mass Production: Expert Conjurers can be counted on to duplicate and conjure items for mass-production, breaking rules of resources and scale-economy that were formerly relied upon.

Healthcare: Some Evokers are particularly adept at bestowing their magical energy with healing properties, capable of curing and undoing ailments. Particularly tough ailments, such as cancers, however, require generationally gifted healers, who often charge harsh premiums. It is a matter of debate as to whether these talented Magisters should be registered and regulated by the government.

Politics: So deeply engrained in matters of infrastructure and public security, Magisters are an integral part of and subject of political discourse and procedure. A global committee – the Oculus Council – exists to oversee Magisters everywhere.
  • Those Worthy (Plot Hooks): At last, the time has come to find out what awaits in the Flying Island, Icarus. Magical, dangerous beasts and flora? Unholy magical energies that could drive one insane? But before that, we must first gather those worthy to embark upon Icarus. Tests will be held, an 'exam' or even a 'competition' to speak, amongst prospective explorers to determine their worth.

An Age of Amorality: One of the nightmarish scenarios has come to pass – a coalition formed of Magisters with the disposition of psychopaths and serial killers, who wish to use their skills for deadly means. A group of magical killers, who regard themselves as the 'Thirteen Precepts" had previously committed massacres in Los Angeles and Tokyo, before fading anyway into nothingness.

Recently, they performed a thirteen massacres in various locations, each committed by a member of the group, before – again – fading into nothingness. All of them, save for one. She currently remains held, but all attempts to make her speak have been ineffective.

MAGIC

• Magical potential exists in about 10% of the world's current population, with the vast majority of these cases having arisen since birth. Bloodline does seem to be a factor, as it is heavily recurrent within families, although not entirely so.

Exposure to magical force seems to be the other primary cause, with said exposure typically being of a traumatic nature (being assaulted by Magisters, explosions of a magical nature). Survivors of said trauma that have been monitored show a near 90% chance of gaining magical potential, provided they are around the age of around 30 or lower. There have been zero cases of manifestations past the age of 31.

The infrastructure to help those who have manifested exists in a handful of core locations – Canada, the United States, the European Union, England, Russia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Brazil, Chile, Australia. Those with magical potential in those regions are welcome to state-of-the-art teaching and training facilities – those outside of those regions are typically encouraged (most times, forced) to relocate to make use of these facilities. The reasoning for this is simple: those who cannot hone their magical potential are a danger to themselves and everyone else around them.

The Untamed is the typical slang for those who have not been taught to control their potential – people who can cause calamities in times of emotional distress, or for no reason at all.

Education for a Magister consists of learning the fundamentals of controlling ones innate magical energy so as not to lose control, as well as ethics for the use of magic in a world where not everyone is privy to such power.

More specifically, Magisters are taught to explore the Fundamentals of the Four Pillars. (see specific tab)

Education ends the moment they are deemed to be in control of their own powers, and also capable of defending themselves from those unable to do so. There are no time requirements to this, although Instructors are typically given a curriculum which achieves the baseline level of competency within 4 years. (baseline competency generally denotes 3 core criterion: not blowing things up on accident, a review of ethical principles, and knowing ones Specialization)
  • THE FOUR PILLARS (Abjuration, Conjuration, Evocation, Transmutation)

There are four general schools of magic, which most forms of magic can fall under. Most Magisters have a specialization and an anathema – a school in which they excel, and a school in which they are naturally adverse to.

Abjuration - altering physical qualities such as strength, speed, or even one's resistance to magic.
    Conjuration - utilizing magical energy to materialize objects or summon entities.
    Evocation - transforming the qualities of raw magical energy itself and expelling it into the world.
    Transmutation - utilizing magical energy to alter the core 'truth' of an object.

Common/Example Applications:
    Abjurer: manifests in the simplest manner of the magical schools, simply as an increase in physical quality (even to superhuman levels) and magical resistance.

Conjurer: Object Manifestation (often times, specialized conjurers will summon trademark magical objects that can exhibit properties from the other schools). Summoning (the summoning of otherworldly entities, or packs of animals, etc)

Evoker: Elementalists (transmuting magical energy into bursts of wind, or streams of flame), illusionists (transmuting magical energy into illusionary phantasms), raw bursts of powerful magical energy to overwhelm and dispel existing magic, healing energy

Transmuter: An incredibly versatile class, most transmuters are typically specialized in a single (possibly two) chosen forms of transmutation. Transmutation of the self can include: disguising, shapeshifting, obtaining an elastic body, invisibility, etc

Transmutation of other objects can include things such as animation, necromancy, elementalists that manipulate existing fire, water, alchemy etc

---

Magisters are taught to explore the Fundamentals of the Four Pillars. As a rule, every Magister has an inclination to one of the Four Pillars – furthermore, their use and manifestation of magic typically differs from most other Magisters. The Pillar that they lean towards is referred to as their Specialization (the school of magic which requires less effort on their part, for higher yield), while their special manifestation of magic is referred to as their Excelsia – a repertoire of magical techniques that are largely unique to them. An Excelsia is typically associated with the owner's Specialization, although may incorporate elements of the other three Pillars.

One of the Fundamental Rules of Magic is that one's skill in their non-speciality Pillars will never, ever hope to match their skill in their Specialty Pillar.

Most Magisters also have a Pillar of magic they struggle with, requiring more effort to utilize, and for lesser yield. This is referred to as their Anathema.

Example:

Bob specializes in Abjuration, while Joe specializes in Conjuration. While both can certainly be trained in the other three Pillars, Abjuration and Conjuration respectively come the easiest to them.

Bob's Excelsia is a combination of his talent in Abjuration and training in Transmutation; by spinning his arm, he is able to transmute magical energy surrounding his arm into excess strength, and tack it onto his own power through Abjuration, resulting in a generationally powerful punch.

Joe's Excelsia consists of let's say, the Conjuration of some robot rabbit construct, who breaths fire and also uses it as fuel to power its ROCKETJUMPS. (courtesy of Joe's additional training in Evocation).

Let's further say that Bob's anathema is Evocation, while Joe's is Abjuration. It would be highly inefficient – to the point of even impossibility at some level – to incorporate aspects of these schools into their Excelsia.
  • The Exceptions

The Exceptions are varying types of magic applications that can be used by even those with zero magical potential. Typically, these manifest in the form of items that carry magic, and that are in turn utilized by inexperienced wielders. The common theme of Exceptions is that the power is not directly held by the wielder.

Enchantments: Enchanted objects (which are typically created either through Conjuration or Transmutation of mundane objects) come in a variety of forms - blades of fire, guns that expel lightning, crystal balls that can discern one's location. Most of these will run on a 'charge'/'ammo' system, as only a transcendently gifted Magister can create a permanent enchantment. Permanently enchanted items are referred to as 'Wonders', and are highly coveted for both their power and use in research. Someone who sells a 'Wonder' will generally be well-off for the rest of their life.

Contracts: Magic bestowed, either upon an otherwise mundane individual or perhaps a Magister seeking more power, at a heavy cost. Contracts are typically made with Aspects of Supernatural Entities, and, in practice, typically involve the Aspect - who carries the power - merging with the bestowee. As a rule, Contracts never end well for those who engage in them.

The common end result of a Contract seen to fruition, or a Contract broken, is the Aspect brought into the world as an uncontrollable beast, or worse yet, a psychopathic entity entirely aware of its wants and desires.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Alright Shiz, I will give this a whirl >.>

Reactions: Aero Blue
SHIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. You know I'm interested.

but where are me and rekt's credits for teaching you how to tab ???

Hey~hey^^!

Ummm... gunna try to wrap brain around magic rules but yeah~yeah the Boo Girlie is interested fo'sho ;D

Okay, Henry. I'm in.

I'm in! I love the world you built, as it's very creative. But will there be some sort of coherent plot, or will it be kinda like a sandbox mode?

Ah yes, I'm definitely interested in this. (: Please tag me when this moves ahead!

Looks interesting. I'll keep an eye on this, and maybe join if I have time.

I'm in! I love the world you built, as it's very creative. But will there be some sort of coherent plot, or will it be kinda like a sandbox mode?

The initial plot hook is exploring Icarus, the flying island in the sky that might be colonizable or whatnot. This is prefaced by an esoteric test/exam of sorts to determine candidacy.

Reactions: Marlowe and Nav
Aight, tag me when you start this!

I'm super duper interested, and would love to get a tag once this is open and running. :)

• Love
Reactions: Aero Blue and Nav
Thanks guys!

I will chime in by saying that the ETA for the final product is the very, very start of April, or maybe a day or two before that. ^^

Reactions: Nav
Thanks guys!

I will chime in by saying that the ETA for the final product is the very, very start of April, or maybe a day or two before that. ^^
Super glad to hear that it's April. (:

I'm in as well. Magic might not be my thing but I'll give it a second try.

I have a concept for a character ability currently. Tell me if it'll be OK.

-Can generate any firearm known to mankind in her hands
-Can absorb live ordinance to be used later.

That would be workable, yes!

Why do I suddenly have a feeling that this RP will have some links to the anime:
"Asterisk War"?

The initial plot hook is exploring Icarus, the flying island in the sky that might be colonizable or whatnot. This is prefaced by an esoteric test/exam of sorts to determine candidacy.
Wait wut? Sooooo.... like how involved is this exam? Like is it going to be done IC'ly or is it just included in Bio write up?

An Excelsia is typically associated with the owner's Specialization, although may incorporate elements of the other three Pillars.
Conjurer: Object Manifestation (often times, specialized conjurers will summon trademark magical objects that can exhibit properties from the other schools). Summoning (the summoning of otherworldly entities, or packs of animals, etc)
Transmuter: An incredibly versatile class, most transmuters are typically specialized in a single (possibly two) chosen forms of transmutation. Transmutation of the self can include: disguising, shapeshifting, obtaining an elastic body, invisibility, etc
I pray you understand this means I intend to summon the in-universe equivalent of Optimus Prime and play atom-LEGO with it.

• Love
Why do I suddenly have a feeling that this RP will have some links to the anime:
"Asterisk War"?

Ooh, there was some anime influences here, although I'm not familiar with this one in particular.

Wait wut? Sooooo.... like how involved is this exam? Like is it going to be done IC'ly or is it just included in Bio write up?

Likely an IC hook, although it's not like... a written exam or anything LOL

I pray you understand this means I intend to summon the in-universe equivalent of Optimus Prime and play atom-LEGO with it.

IS THIS EVEN ENGLISH WHAT'S GOING ON AHHHHHHHHHH

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Status
Not open for further replies.