Magicka Revolution!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Greenrust. How have you been?

I would like to make two characters one living in the colonies and the second living in the Avalon if that would be alright..?

Hmmmm....so this is set in modern Time but medival apperance correct? (Kinda ead it in a rush sorry)

It's modern times and there are some parts of Avalon and aurora that are medieval in their advancement but not all of them.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Hrm, needs some development but I like what I see so far. I'm up for playing the head of the Caldwell family. I'll post some ideas and a sheet some time later when I'm not at work.

Alright, time for ideas.

There was a bit in the OP about Avalon greedily desiring exports from Aurora of something they lack in their own land. Plenty of options there, most of which could be coupled with Avalon employing slave labor to gather said things, which of course could be another major source of discontent for Aurora. You could go with the classic greed targets of gold, silver, and gems, because fighting over pretty trinkets is always fun. To give it a more modernized spin, the desired resource could instead be oil and/or coal and/or natural gas, because if it's in modern times and Avalon lacks any of those then they'd need to yoink them from elsewhere to have cool modern machinery. You could also go more fantasy with it, say there's some kind of awesome metal like mithril or adamantium or orichalcum that is far better than real world metals for making pretty much anything that could be made with steel.

For there to be any sort of building tension between Avalon and Aurora, there would have to be somewhat frequent travel both ways through the portal to allow for news to spread both ways. Maybe some of the wealthier families can buy a ticket through the portal with what amounts to pocket change to them, or maybe there are some people (soldiers or law enforcement types?) who get to freely go through the portal on business, thus allowing the spread of news and juicy gossip.

To add more points of contention between Avalon and the Aurora colonials, you could always crib some ideas from the real world colonial period. Draining resources from the colonies is a big one, good that you already had it in mind. The folks in Aurora could be pissed off that people in Avalon make all the laws that govern their life and elect public officials (assuming there's any kind of democracy going on in Avalon's governance) while people in Aurora are given no real say in any of those matters. There could be exorbitantly high taxes placed on everyday goods brought from Avalon to Aurora, maybe call it a portal fee, while Avalon citizens don't have to pay any such taxes on goods coming the other way, so clearly it's biased bullshit with Avalon being greedy jerks. Combine the previous two for the good ole "no taxation without representation" situation. Avalon could start to ship off criminals and political dissidents and other annoyances to Aurora in permanent exile from Avalon, which would probably greatly anger those who paid good money to be allowed to go to Aurora, plus they could feel insulted about being more or less equated to criminals and troublemakers just because they chose to leave Avalon.

There could also be some kind of laws limiting the amount of interaction the colonials were allowed to have with humans. This could do anything from preventing them from legally avoiding those annoying taxes by limiting the business they could do with humans to preventing them from having romantic entanglements with humans. Of course, since Aurora has been around for a long time the enforcement of those rules might have gotten very lax, but if someone new came into power in Avalon and wanted to lay down the law and punish all offenders to the maximum extent of the archaic law (death penalty perhaps?), then that could be yet another spark for rebellion.

After some initial unrest, perhaps Avalon could have instated some kind of governor of Aurora to keep the peace. This would of course anger the Thatchett family and spark more troubles and unrest. Oh, and that'd be another important character that someone could play if they wanted. Could be interesting, person from Avalon tasked with keeping Aurora in line, but they're living there among the colonies and seeing how things really are for them and how they have good reasons to be upset.

Here is my CS for the Gate-Keeper slot/role!

Just have two final very minor things to update, once i have those figured out it will be 110% complete! But this is pretty much it!

Kx7ksAp.jpg

Image borrowed from ChaimHarkem from deviantart

Titles: The Guardian, Portal Keeper, Gate-Keeper, Portal-Guardian, Etc.

Name: Orthaegis "Call me Aegis."

Age: Hundreds of thousands years old. "I have far more important matters to attend to, than keeping track of my age."

Sexual Orientation: Asexual "Sexual attraction and activity, is far from my concerns."

Place of Origin: Unknown "The only place I remember is here, The Gate. I have never been to Avalon or Aurora, only able to watch them from a afar."

Current Home: The portal/Gate between realms "My home forever has and will forever be, The Gate."

Aligns With: Neutral. "A being of my position and power cannot hold favoritism over the realms which he protects."

Background: For ages this being, known as Orthaegis The Gate-Keeper, has existed. Orthaegis' possesses a single soul purpose, protecting the Portal or Gate which stands between the realms of Avalon & Aurora. Along with protecting the Portal from trespassers, Orthaegis also plays a faint role in protecting the balance between the realms of Avalon & Aurora.

Other: Each key on his person, opens/unlocks a lock on his gauntlet. These locks act as suppressants for his power, thus upon sight, Aegis looks a lot weaker than his true form/power.

-The five locks located on his forearm, along with the lock on his thumb, index and middle finger. Are the locks which suppress his power. (So eight locks in total, are needed to be unlocked, to reveal his true form/power.)

-The lock on his palm, enables his ability to split himself into two entities. Whichever entity locks the lock closed, will be where he regenerates/comes together. (Thus if the half of him on the Avalon side closes/locks his palm lock, he will become whole/one on the Avalon side of the portal.)

-The locks on his baby finger/pinky and ring finger enable two other abilities which will be mentioned later/once i figure them out. (I have a few ideas in mind, just being stubborn on picking which one I want.)

(This form is achieved/activated once all eight Power Suppression Locks are opened/removed.)
GMXomXe.jpg

Image borrowed from Negshin from Deviantart

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
I went with some kinda generic fantasy things (particularly the elf age) and rather vague stuff for the background since very little about the revolution is set in stone at the moment. If anything doesn't jive with what you were thinking for how the world should work, lemme know and I can change it. Also, I plan on updating the background to be less bland once there are more details to work with, though the core of "surprising and recent rise to power" will remain.

Name: Lord Alarius Caldwell
Age: 3,384 (on the older side for elvenkind, but not at all ancient by their standards)
Appearance: Alarius has dark hair and blue eyes, a somewhat uncommon combination for elves. He stands six and a half feet tall, which is fairly average for his people, though he is thinner and less athletic than most. Alarius keeps his hair braided in the style of the common folk of his people and he wears the same earth-toned plain clothing as he always has. The only concession he has made in his style of dress to acknowledge his new position of power is a piece of jewelry, a braided circlet that holds a dark green gem to his forehead.

OGxYYCS.jpg

Image borrowed from evankart on Deviantart.

Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Place of Origin: Olanabram, Avalon
Current Home: Maloch, Avalon
Aligns With: Avalon
Background: Alarius Caldwell was never expected to take the leadership of the family. He was the third son of the second son of the second daughter of the living Lord Caldwell at the time of his birth. Some viewed his meteoric rise up the chain of inheritance as the hand of fate intervening on his behalf, but others took a darker look at the series of unfortunate deaths that cleared his path. Truth be told, young Alarius had nothing to do with any misdeeds of this kind for the vast majority of his life. He was simply a young, ambitious elf who had turned his sights on becoming a great mage and worked hard to pursue that goal. As he celebrated his second millennium of life, it came as a great shock to him that he was somehow fifth in line for lordship of the family rather than being deep in the double digits as he'd always assumed.

This new knowledge caused a great change in Alarius. He figured that he shouldn't settle for being simply the most skilled earth mage in the land when he could instead become the most powerful person in Avalon period. The path had been cleared by his overly ambitious uncle, and the old man didn't quite have what it took to see it through to the end, at least not after Alarius was awakened to the competition and joined in the fray. It took another millennium before more unfortunate but fortuitous deaths by apparent accident or natural cause placed Alarius Caldwell as next in line for the title. Elerondel Caldwell, the Lord Caldwell at the time, took Alarius under his wing and taught him what it took to manage Avalon as the head of its greatest family. Those who saw Alarius as a murderous wretch were quite surprised and a little disappointed to find that Lord Elerondel did not suddenly come down with a case of knife in the back, and the old elf lasted almost four more centuries with Alarius as his heir. His death two years ago came from what seemed to be a simple illness that had overcome his frail constitution, but that did not stop the dark whispers. The newly named Lord Alarius Caldwell has been in power for two years, but those two years have been full of changes and struggles. One can only expect more of the same moving forward.

Other: There are a few facts about the newest Lord Caldwell that commoners in the street know to be true. First, he is renowned for his abilities with earth magic, though he hasn't visibly demonstrated them in a public venue in many decades. Second, Lord Caldwell will do whatever it takes to get what he wants. Third, his predecessor's death was not natural, even though all medical examinations ruled it death by natural causes. Fourth, anyone foolish enough to be overheard speaking about those two supposed facts in conjunction with one another will almost certainly never be seen walking free again. Fifth and finally, the commoners know that Lord Caldwell views Aurora as a den of misfits and criminals, and that he sees it fit to let it remain intact only so long as it brings wealth and prosperity to Avalon.

• Love
How many more do you Need?

OK. I can ask some people at see if they want to join in the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.