Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, Sci fi, anything in which the world itelf is extremely interesting.
This RP will be about practitioners of the magical arts.

Magic can be performed in four ways.
Casting:
Using magical power to directly and immediately effect the physical world.
Summoning: Bringing an intelligent spirit to the physical plane to (hopefully) perform a desired task.
Enchanting: Assigning magical power to an object.
Alchemy: Using the latent magic in the physical world to one's advantage.

People can access magic in four main ways, these are the four ways.
Clerical Work:
With complete faith to an extremely powerful spirit one may be granted a small amount of it's power. This comes with the requirement of almost complete faith, without it, spells may be weakened or not work at all.
Sorcerery: By peering directly into the spirit world, one can effect the physical world. This comes at the risk of mental trauma, and, in extreme cases, insanity.
Witchcraft: By making a deal with a spirit, one may be allowed to use some of it's power. This comes with the risk of being at the mercy of the spirit, and, in extreme cases, possession.
Wizardy: One who has magical blood (By birth or other circumstance) can use the magical power of their own soul to directly affect the physical world. This comes with the risk of physical exhaustion, and, in extreme cases, draining their own soul.

Spirits:
You see, the spirit world acts like this: Almost all spirits want to become more powerful. In order to become more powerful, they influence the physical world. The method in which they interact with this world determines what spirit they are.
Light: Spirits that gain power through positive emotions and actions.
Dark: Spirits that gain power through negative emotions and actions.

Neutral: Spirits that gain power through any means, but usually not too helpful or harmful.
Forces: Non sapient spirits that exist as raw magical power. They are easily manipulated by mortals.

Creatures:
Sometimes, spirits take physical form. Sometimes something wierd is just something wierd. This should help you differentiate.
Beasts: These are not spirits, they are just big, nasty animals. Think wargs or griffins. They may be of alchemical use, though.
Monsters: These are spirits taken physical form that fit a classification. Think a Salamander or a Wraith.
Constructs: These are spirits possessing things that are normally normal. Zombies are possessed corpses, werewolves are possessed people, natural golems, evil trees, ect.
Aberrations: These are monsters that don't fit a category. They are usually scary, and resembles things that H.P. Lovecraft would think up.

Mortal Magic.
Human bodies exist on the physical plane. Human souls exist in the spirit world. Human blood exists on both planes at the same time. As blood is spilled, Dark spirits will quickly gather to devour it's magical power, or attempt to attack the souls by riding in through the blood. It is believed that this is the cause of the nausea or dread felt when around blood, as well as why open wounds cause disease. Because demons are attracted to the magical power of blood, it is a common ingredient to dark rituals or sacrifices. Without the soul, the blood will not be magically charged, and the body will wither. If a soul goes to the spirit world rather than the afterlife, it will persist as a ghost.

Gods, Angels, and Demons.
Gods are the strongest primordial spirits. Angels and Demons (Different from Light and Dark spirits) answer directly to them and carry out their will in the spirit world. Gods exist on a completely different plane, and as such, their powers cannot be accessed by spirits or mortals.

Magical Catalysts.
Sometimes, an extra tool for using magic is helpful. This would normally be a wand or a staff, but other methods have been heard of. They are usually determined by personal preference. A common belief is that having a catalyst of importance to the owner makes spells easier to cast. There is proof for and against this, depending on individual cases. Most magi agree that it's better to use a catalyst to distance themselves from whatever spells they are using, if only for that purpose.

The use of magic is finding out how the Spirit and Physical world tie together, and exploiting those ties, combat magic comes in two forms. Physical and Spirit. Physical target a person's body, while Spirit tries to target a person's soul. (A soul cannot be destroyed, but it can be attacked sufficiently to sever it's connection to the body, which kills the person.)

Magical Resistance:
Some substances in the physical world are capable of resisting or even destroying magical energy. Certain symbols or runes can ward off magic, but the three things that ward it best are pure salt, pure iron, or pure silver. Each is effective to a degree, but how effective depends on the magical force in question. (Pure iron or silver catalysts can't exist, but impure materials can be substituted.)

The plot is open for suggestions.

Last edited:
Mortal Magic.
Human bodies exist on the physical plane. Human souls exist in the spirit world. Human blood exists on both planes at the same time. As blood is spilled, Dark spirits will quickly gather to devour it's magical power, or attempt to attack the souls by riding in through the blood. It is believed that this is the cause of the nausea or dread felt when around blood, as well as why open wounds cause disease. Because demons are attracted to the magical power of blood, it is a common ingredient to dark rituals or sacrifices. Without the soul, the blood will not be magically charged, and the body will wither. If a soul goes to the spirit world rather than the afterlife, it will persist as a ghost.
This is awesome. An actual, realistic explanation for diseases etc in a world where science doesn't exist. Not something you often think about, but a detail that makes a world just a little more immersive. (although you forgot to say how a soul actually gets sent to the spirit world and not the afterlife)

Assuming I joined, which is probable, I'd likely make an insane Sorcerer... would that be k?

Added a paragraph.

Forgot to mention how certain materials can ward off magic.

three things that ward it best are pure salt, pure iron, or pure silver.
What are we talking when we say salt? Just Sodium Chloride, or are other metal salts included (cos purifying 'salt' is REALLY difficult. I guess you could purify it with magic though). Same for the metals. Would Iron Oxide (rust) reduce the effectiveness of an iron barrier?

In that case, the salt doesn't nessescarily have to be pure.
If you'd trust it to preserve food, you can trust it to stop at least a weak spirit.
Of course, back in medieval times, salt was pretty expensive. Even more so due to even higher demand In this setting.

For Iron, the less rusty, the better. I took a quick look through Ye Olde Internet and found that rust has no alchemical value, being referred to as dead material.
It does seem to have been a popular dye though.

"alchemical value" lol, I'm pretty sure alchemy isn't actually real, just sayin' :D Yeah, rust makes a good reddy-brown die.

This seems like a very interesting idea, i'm definitely interested :P
Looking forward to it

Status
Not open for further replies.