Magic Knights in a Sci-Fi Apocalypse World

L

Lockheart

Original poster
Note: This is as much a place to plan as it is an interest check xD

Premise

Resurrected knights from the medieval era are bought back by two clandestine organisations to fight against monsters and magic in the apocalypse. The Knights Templar of the modern day, along with the descendants of King Arthur's round table, are bringing back the ancient knights to fight in this new war. Both factions operate out of the same base, working together towards the same goal but with different methods of acquiring knights. The Round Table and the Knights Templar will conflict with each other but their final goal - to kill all of the monsters and restore civilization to the world - remains the same. They both operate out of a restore and rebuilt Wartburg castle, in central Germany.

This is the last age of chivalry...

Story
When the humans discovered magic, boundless and limitless in power, they destroyed themselves. But there were two organisations that had experience with the dangers of magic. The Knight's Templar from the Vatican City, and the Round Table, from England. Both of these groups foresaw the dangers of magic in the wrong hands. They tried to prevent the wars. But it was useless.

Now the world is in ruins. Only a few of the remaining humans posses magic that is powerful enough to fight back against the new threats: Monsters. Creatures and beasts of all kinds. After the fall of mankind, the monsters took over the world for they no longer had a need to hide. Trolls and giants. Vampires and witches. And even dragons.

The Knights Templar believed that their best chance of fighting these monsters from ancient times are the warriors who once fought them during such times. So they set about search through all of Europe for knights, frozen in ice, turned to stone, or trapped in time. The Templar bought back every knight that they could find. They are lead by the mysterious Count Louis Landgrave, owner of the castle Wartburg.

At the same time; the Round Table came to the same conclusion. But instead of searching for and releasing trapped knights, they looked to their own. From burial sites across England, Wales, and even Scotland, the Round Table dug up the graves of their ancestors. King Arthur and his round table. With a combination of long-forgotten necromancy and advanced technology, the Round Table resurrect the dead knights. The Round Table are lead by Aaron Pendragon, the last descendant of King Arthur.

But knights alone can not win this war. Even with their war experience, battle magic, and modern technology, they can not win this war. They need a power that reaches across both eras. They need the immortality that the Black Knight holds.

Characters
We shall play as magical knights! You can be knights from various legends/myths/lore, their offspring, or an original character. But, during the medieval era you were a famous knight. Now, in the post-civilization era, you have been awakened or resurrected to fight in a new war. While you can work freelance or on your own, you will be bought back in the modern era by either the Round Table or the Knights Templar.

You will most likely be playing as a knight. And - most likely - an ancient knight from the medieval era. Unlike modern day soldiers or attempts at continuing the traditions of knighthood, you are honor bound. This means different things to different people. Some knights must do good, be good, and personify good. Other knights feel a duty to protect the weak and defeat evil. Whereas other knights have a sense of honor that dictates how they fight or why they fight, such as abiding by the rules of single combat. It also means that you are highly trained in medieval combat. There are none in the modern wield who can defeat our knights with ancient weaponry. And modern weaponry does not assist them. Knights are stronger, faster, and far more experience than any human born in the 21st century.

Technology
Humans have developed technology to a little beyond our own. This means sci-fi but not space. Primitive laser guns and exo-suits do exist, even hover cars if you can find one that still functions. Though technology is scarce since the start of the apocalypse. Knights do have access to this technology. While some can and will use it, many prefer their traditional equipment. Technology interferes with magic. Which means that we knights can not enchant our favorite laser swords. Furthermore, we have a lot of training with swords, spears, axes, maces, and even bows. But not much experience with rifles or pistols. Still, an old knight can learn new tricks.

Magic
Witches have two types of magic. They can control the elements; fire, water, earth and air. And they can cast curses on their victims. Curses can be anything from petrification, to the plague. Unlike vampires and ghosts, witches can curse even the dead. This means cursing ghosts. And it means cursing corpses to become ghosts, or even zombies.

Ghosts and spirits of various kinds can cast curses. Very few can rival the curse magic of a malignant spirits. Not to mention they can fly, pass through walls, and have basic telekinesis.

Vampires can perform blood magic. Similar to a witch's curses, with additional mind control abilities, all powered by the fresh blood of their living victims. If a vampire converts other humans to a vampire, they gain control over them that far surpasses any known form of mind controlling magic. The first vampire, Dracula, is able to exercise this control over any vampire in existence since all vampires can trace their blood line back to him.

Ancient knights have access to old-world battle magic. Their magic is old and less developed, so their spells are simple. But no less powerful. Instead of drawing magic from the natural world or life blood, they pull their power right out of their equipment. These means that their magic is based around metal-elements. The iron element allows their spells to pierce or cut deeper, even slice through multiple enemies at once. Bronze-based magic is used to directly counter magic as it breaks down magical energies. Steel makes their spells harder and stronger, best used for enchanting armor to make them bullet proof or even invulnerable for short periods of time. The silver element burns monsters and disperses ghosts. Modern knights lack this kind of power.

Zombies have no magic of their own. But generally, whatever curse animates them, they can pass on through biting. This is not a disease of bacteria or parasite. This is very distinctly copying the curse from the host and over to the bitten.

These three types of magic can be combined. So a vampire/knight can mix blood magic with battle magic to forge a spear made of crystallized blood - just an example. A vampire/witch combination possess some of the most dangerous and powerful curses in all of magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey~hey^^!!

Soooooo... is this like Jedi from star wars (starring my current gf Daisy) and Mega~helicarriers from Avengers (starring my 2013 fling ScarJo) and Sentinels from Xmen(starring my ex JenLaw) and Factions from Underworld (starring my ex-gf Kate Beckinsale?) But like all mixed up and blenderized all together?! :333~~

Cuz if so then this RP sooooo needs to tone down the sexy sexy SEXAY! content and focus on story telling...

But yayuh!! The Boo Girlie is soooooo♥♥ interested in this^^~!!

Hey~hey^^!!

Soooooo... is this like Jedi from star wars (starring my current gf Daisy) and Mega~helicarriers from Avengers (starring my 2013 fling ScarJo) and Sentinels from Xmen(starring my ex JenLaw) and Factions from Underworld (starring my ex-gf Kate Beckinsale?) But like all mixed up and blenderized all together?! :333~~

Cuz if so then this RP sooooo needs to tone down the sexy sexy SEXAY! content and focus on story telling...

But yayuh!! The Boo Girlie is soooooo♥♥ interested in this^^~!!

Pretty much. I feel like your summary was more accurate than mine!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
You said the magic words, "knights" and "sci-fi", so I'd definitely be into this. I've got something resembling a plot idea to throw at you, too, so here goes:
[spoili]
All of the knights were sealed up for various reasons in ages past, right, but what if they were all woken up or dug up or released by a single organization? Like, I'm terrible at naming but it'll be like some worldwide organization that combats supernatural entities and in the years leading up to the roleplay, supernatural events and shit have gotten a lot more out of control, like they're being driven by some vague antagonistic mastermind. People are being attacked, people are being turned, shit is hitting the fan. Everything ends up blowing up, with the existence of supernaturals dragged into the public eye, and humanity engages in outright war with the things that go bump in the night. Our unnamed organization searches for things that will turn the tide, and they discover our knights.[/spoili]
How does that sound?

• Love
Reactions: Lockheart
You said the magic words, "knights" and "sci-fi", so I'd definitely be into this. I've got something resembling a plot idea to throw at you, too, so here goes:
[spoili]
All of the knights were sealed up for various reasons in ages past, right, but what if they were all woken up or dug up or released by a single organization? Like, I'm terrible at naming but it'll be like some worldwide organization that combats supernatural entities and in the years leading up to the roleplay, supernatural events and shit have gotten a lot more out of control, like they're being driven by some vague antagonistic mastermind. People are being attacked, people are being turned, shit is hitting the fan. Everything ends up blowing up, with the existence of supernaturals dragged into the public eye, and humanity engages in outright war with the things that go bump in the night. Our unnamed organization searches for things that will turn the tide, and they discover our knights.[/spoili]
How does that sound?

Perfect!

It provides the beginnings of a plot. Gives us just a hint of a villain. And clues us into roughly how the apocalypse all came about.

And, in particular, it explains why all of our knights are in one place and working together. Since our knights could be from all across the world (mostly from Europe given the history of medieval knights, but I am willing to play a little loose with what actually defines a knight), this organisation would of been who gathered them all and revived/thawed/released/unlocked/whatever-other-verb-fits-your-character-origin them all.

Reactions: Spectre of the Fade
Premise
Yeah, the title of the thread kind of says it all. While it needs more planning - with which I was hoping we could do that all together - the basic premise is that medieval knights wake up to post-apocalyptic 21st century. I am yet to decide on the cause of the end of the world. But the result is what matters so far and we can always agree on more history if we want. There will be supernatural creatures, monsters, witches, vampires, werewolves, and the knights who know how to kill them. I was thinking that the knights we play as, all different types of knights with their own backgrounds and from different parts of the world, pursue individual goals and hunt monsters in the apocalypse. Maybe a few people could try being technology-based knights using tech instead of magic. Really, the only part of all this that I know for sure is that some badass medieval knights will kill monsters, bandits, robots, and everything else using classic weapons and old skill battle magic. Kind of looking forward to some troll hunting too. Something kind of sensible that explains why our characters are all together or interacting or some kind of connecting plot device would be great too...

Story
Some of you were sealed away, kept locked up, to contain your powers. Others among you were trapped by your enemies. A few of you so-called "knights" were put in stasis, to be woken up for future battles. Whatever the reason or cause, you are here now. You are awake now. And the world has ended. Everything you fought to uphold is gone. No more honor. No more chivalry. This is the final act in human history. So take up your swords and go down swinging! Because if the last knights won't fight every freak and fiend in the world, then who will? Because I certainly won't.

Characters
Okay, so the only rules or ideas I have for characters at the moment are that you should be a knight. Preferably human but I will make a few exceptions for hybrids or the more human looking monsters. If you use magic, which would be recommended considering your enemies, then it should orientated around fighting and combat. I was thinking of implementing a basic magic system for us all to use, let me know what you think.

This is as much a place to plan as it is an interest check xD
Pretty much. I feel like your summary was more accurate than mine!
K awesomes and thanks man^^~!!

But just hoping the magic system is Not gunna get all techie~freakie~ughs~stats~n~dices right? Cuz if sooooo imma have to drop then. Just letting you know k? Like I'm soooooo not a bitch but just kinda picky k? Sorry :/

K awesomes and thanks man^^~!!

But just hoping the magic system is Not gunna get all techie~freakie~ughs~stats~n~dices right? Cuz if sooooo imma have to drop then. Just letting you know k? Like I'm soooooo not a bitch but just kinda picky k? Sorry :/

Nah, just something along the lines of what magic types or elements are associated with various species. No Braandon Sanderson type hard magic systems here xD For instance; vampires use blood magic. The most commons spells for knights are weapon/armor enchantments. Just basic things like that.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Perfect!

It provides the beginnings of a plot. Gives us just a hint of a villain. And clues us into roughly how the apocalypse all came about.

And, in particular, it explains why all of our knights are in one place and working together. Since our knights could be from all across the world (mostly from Europe given the history of medieval knights, but I am willing to play a little loose with what actually defines a knight), this organisation would of been who gathered them all and revived/thawed/released/unlocked/whatever-other-verb-fits-your-character-origin them all.
Sweet. Now we come up with a clever acronym for the organization.

Reactions: Petricus Euryale
Damn it! I can't think of any awesome acronyms...
Alternate idea...the organization is a modern incarnation of the Knights Templar (who fought supernatural creatures back in the day or sone such) and we just call them the Templars.

EDIT: That might work better for retrieving some of our knights, anyways, or at least the people who were thinking Templar anyways.

Alternate idea...the organization is a modern incarnation of the Knights Templar (who fought supernatural creatures back in the day or sone such) and we just call them the Templars.

EDIT: That might work better for retrieving some of our knights, anyways, or at least the people who were thinking Templar anyways.

I just had a similar idea to this but a modern incarnation of the Knights of the Round table from Arthurian legend, and I kind of thought the the round table was kept in board meeting room. The CEO would be King Arthur's descendant. The board members would all be descendants of the knights from Arthurian legend. Our villain could be the descendant of Sir Agravain. Players could make their own knight or play as a knight from classic legends - providing a great chance for the knight to meet their descendant in the organisation xD This also lead me to a basic plot line to get us started: Find the Green Knight from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, as he can't die and we could all do with being unkillable in our line of work.

But now I like the Templar idea and will have to come up with something for that xD

Reactions: Spectre of the Fade
Any thoughts on how we should do/use/implement magic?

I can't think of anything that wouldn't be hard to explain. D:

Edit: Just dropping in to say that this post is out of date. I've since changed my mind about the way I described magic below. It was too restrictive and tedious. Instead, you will find a more appropriate magic in the first post of this thread. I think that the newer system, while similar, does not tell players how they can use their magic and it is a lot more free form. Basically, the new system just contains a rough guideline of what creatures/races can use what element of magic.

Hmmm... Okay. Here goes!

Witches
They have two types of magic. Elements and curses. Elements involve basic element manipulation such as throwing bolts of lightning or fireballs. Curses include anything from poison clouds (though arguably could fall under some kind of air or earth element), spirtual possession, plague, all kinds of general curses.

Vampires

So, vampires use blood magic. This means two things:
1) That their magic is powered by blood, but they can't use their own blood and need fresh blood from the living as a supply. This explains, other than an animal-like hunger, why they drink blood.
2) Their spells use blood in some way. Such as crystallizing it into a weapon, or hardening it into a thick plate, or

Knights
The magic of knights is heavily combat orientated. Considering that they are kinights, I think their primary concern should be about their equipment. Their magic should show this. So they fight mostly with weapons and armor, only using a little magic. And the small amount of magic they do use amplifies their arsenal. Below I have built a small list of how they could piece together different spells, with different knights each specializing their magic in their own way.
Elemental Prefix: These are elements that the knights can alter their base spells with. Most of these are metal-based, meaning that they are very different from how the elemental powers of witches work. These what are unique to the knights, where as
1) Silver, burns anything cursed and can touch spirits (or generally anything ethereal).
2) Steel, amplifies the equipment's physical properties such as tensile strength and durability. Also increases weight and is often used in conjunction with a feather spell to counter this.
3) Iron, causes the enchantment to cut and pierce through harder materials. Basically it allows you to penetrate armor more easily. Can be used for more complex functions if you put your mind to it, such as an iron wave spell passing through multiple enemies instead of dispersing after the first hit.
4) Bronze, basically an anti-magic element that can cut through a witch's elemental forces. Combing a bronze and iron spell will allow you to cleave through almost any defense a witch can throw up.
Target: This is what is being targeted by the spell, usually their equipment or their own bodies. A spell can have more than one target, such as the first target being your axe and then the second target passing the effect on to the enemy for a lasting effect.
1) Armor, to make it stronger for defense or lighter for movement.
2) Weapon, to improve damage output or increase reach/range, or give it a unique ability.
3) Body, making any part of the body the target will allow you to alter the bodies base functions. Such as increasing the strength in your arms, or amplifying your running speed by targeting your legs, or maybe you could target your eyes to see through walls (or clothes, your choice).
4) Enemy, usually an attack. By targeting the enemy, your spell is a one time effect.
Spell: Suffix: So these are the second part of the spell, that define the function. This how the spells works.
1) Enchantment, a base enchantment that can be further extended with other properties. Enchantments wear off after a certain amount of time.
1.1) Thorns, encasing the target with spikes of their elemental choice. This would allow you to enchant armor with thorns that hurt attackers, put poison barbs on a sword, or add a metal hook to the the tip of your spear. This is a type of enchantment.
1.2) Mirror, usually for a shield but works well on any armor. Can work with weapons but not as well. Will reflect magical projectiles and if an element is applies the projectile will be enhanced further with your element of choice.
2) Blast, in its simplest form this would allow you to unleash a sudden and explosive burst of elemental energy.
3) Wave, basically unleashes a travelling wave of elemental energy.
4) Edge, basically an enchantment but specifically on a weapon. Unlike an enchantment, it does not last for indefinite amount of time and wears off after a few hits.
5) Encase, a standard armor enchantment that boosts defense.
6) Feather, makes the target lighter.
Example: Silver Sword Enchantment. Enchants a sword the silver element, so that it burns cursed creatures and kills spirits.

Combinations
They can be combined, inter-crossed, or fused in any way imaginable. So, for instance, a vampire knight could enchant his armor with a thick layer of compressed and hardened blood. The easiest crossover would be a vampire-knight who can use his basic battle magic with a blood element.

How does that sound? But these are really just suggestions, I guess. I don't know. Let me know if you think of anything for me to add.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I start making the sing-up and OOC thread? Or wait for more people?

Maybe I should make an advert-banner-thingy ???

Should I start making the sing-up and OOC thread? Or wait for more people?

Maybe I should make an advert-banner-thingy ???
Ummmm... like just two peeps shown interest bruh. Like not to be a downer but I don't know if its worth it yet to go OOC? This sounds sooooooo cools to me so like I'm still down for this~^^!!

But like yeah maybe wait till acouple more hit up Interest here?

• Thank You
Reactions: Lockheart
Fair enoug, Though I was hoping that the sign-up thread would draw more people in :(
Hey actually know what might be better than just waiting? Like maybe if you refined the ideas and concepts and made them into a more solid actual listing of what to expect. Like how life is in post apoc world, knightly code/Magic use, general tech level etc?

Hey actually know what might be better than just waiting? Like maybe if you refined the ideas and concepts and made them into a more solid actual listing of what to expect. Like how life is in post apoc world, knightly code/Magic use, general tech level etc?

Finally got around to it after a few busy days with the wife. I've rewritten the first post, tried to explain some stuff, and detailed the basic plot beginning.

So could I have a witch-knight of a previously unknown Knightly Order (because Imma gonna make one up) that has been stuck in a time paradox/loop thing for hundreds of years and eventually freed by the Knights Templar?