Magic Heart!

daird

Edgesquire
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Jeez, it's been busy today. Molly groaned as she finished up the last update to SparkleStar, her magical girl news website. Earth Princess had helped deal with a bombing in Paris, Aquarius was cleaning up after a crab monster attack in Athens, and she'd done an interview with Artemis, a rising star in Chicago. It was almost enough to make a retired magical girl suit up and take care of evildoers herself. Almost.

She checked her watch. 4 o'clock already? Crap, Faye is going to be here any minute! She'd heard good things about her protégé, but she'd need watching. Nobody can tell how they're going to react under pressure until the bullets start flying. A few minutes of cleaning up, and her little house was... well, not perfect, but presentable. Nothing to do now, but wait for Faye to arrive.

Reactions: Northern_lightz22
"Mom, I'm terrified. Is it normal for your hands to sweat?" Faye spoke shakily into the cellphone, while also holding a slip of paper with Molly's house address on it. "Faye, calm down, or you'll start hyperventilating again. She's Molly Green, not Zephyr anymore, she hung up her bow and magic a ling time ago. Just see her as your friendly neighbor!" Faye's mother encouraged, but Faye only rolled her eyes. "Yeah, a friendly neighbor that's taken down hundreds of creatures, won even more prizes and is a global celebrity! The news still talks about her, social media still makes her Instagram and twitter one of the most popular accounts-" "But today, and from now on, she is just Molly, your trainer. Ive known Molly before she became Zephyr, ok, i know how she works. We were once very good friends" and Faye scoffed. "Yeah, and my bff is Dianara, the Lotus magic girl " and Fayes mom snickered. "Dianara is all smoke and mirrors, I can see right through her little one act plays." and Faye sighed. "ok ok! We get it, you were cool- AND still are cool!!" she saved and her mom smirked " nice save! now tell Molly that Katrina says hi!" and Faye sighed as her mom hung up.

Her feet scuffed the cement, turned, and slowly walked up the stone walk way to Molly's home. quiet neighborhood, no paparazzi, no security guards...did she really just retire like that? I wonder why... and by the time she was out of her thoughts, her hand had already knocked on the door and she felt her blood run cold. she hugged some books that she couldnt fit in her bag, along with her long wand that sprung out into her bow when needed.

And there she is. Molly answered the door. "Hello, Faye. It's a pleasure to meet you. Come inside, I can get you set up." She took the younger girl's bags and started carrying them upstairs.

The house was small, and pretty much unadorned. Some magical girls liked to keep a trophy from every successful mission, others preferred to only take home their memories. Molly had been in the latter category, save for a painting a fan had done of her and Jess preparing to charge into battle with some unknown foe. Even after Jess died, she couldn't take it down.

Molly opened the door to the guest room. "You can consider this your own personal sanctuary, Faye. I won't disturb you. All I ask is that you keep it clean. Now, I'd like to get to know you. What you like to do in your spare time, how you got interested in being a magical girl, that sort of thing."

• Love
Faye looked around the house as they walked, stopping a little to stare up at the painting. She looked to Jess, Molly's old partner, and she gulped a little. Faye was young when she had seen them fight on the news, but never understood truly how deep their bond was. Never understood how much of a blow it was to Molly when her partner had taken the fatal blow, and died in action that day. Only watched as thousands, millions, mourned the death of Jess, world wide broadcast of those coming together to celebrate her life.

"H-how i became a magic girl..?" she repeated as Molly asked her, and she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and she rubbed her arms. "Well..its because of you, Ma'm.." she looked down, blushing a bit. "Ever since I was a little girl..I saw the Magic girls on the news,. talk shows, websites.. But it was you who really encouraged me." she smiled. "I have been practicing since I was 6, Im 19 now but still learning every day! But.. all the girls at my old school are now rising in fame with out me.." she looked up in shame. "They all mastered their powers..got their names, got to join The Radar..while im still here.." and she sat on the bed. "it's an honor and a privilege to be at your side, Ma'm. And even though youre retired, I still see you as the incredible Zephyr White..." Faye smiled to her teacher. "and, by the way, my mother Katrina said hi..she said yall use to be very good friends" faye shrugged.

Oh god, a fangirl. Save me. "I see. You've had these powers for your entire life, and while all your friends got to go and save their little corner of the world, you were left behind. Well, lucky for you, you've got a chance to make your mark on the biggest city in the world. Funny how the villains never seem to attack Des Moines."

"Well, you know my story already, but since I never let my civilian identity get out, let me tell you about myself outside of heroing. I'm a comic book geek, love to cook, and I read science fiction a lot. I try to consider myself laid back, but make no mistake, Faye. If you screw up, I will rip you to shreds for it. This isn't some pretty little cartoon on Saturday mornings. A single mistake could get you killed, or worse, someone else. Jess died because one of my attacks missed its mark. I have to live with that forever."

• Love
"jess..? was that your old partner..?" she asked, never knowing the magic girls real names. " I use to see yall fighting together.. It made me so jealous, cause I had always wanted a partner like yours.. were yall together...romantically, by chance..?" she asked curiously. But she covered her mouth a bit. "Im sorry, that is NONE of my business, im sorry" she shoom her head. "i will try with what ever i have, Molly, I will try as hard as I can to make you proud." she smiled and nodded. "Im like the opposite of you..Ive tried so hard to make an impression, but every admission exam I fail miserably.." she looked down in shame.

The older girl chuckled. "Don't tell anyone, but the first time Jess and I applied for The Radar, they told us to come back when we had some more experience. We were crushed, but that only made us work harder. You'll get in there someday, I know it." Molly smiled. "I'll make us some dinner. Rosemary chicken tonight; it's my specialty. After that, we'll head to the local Radar base. You can get some practice in, and meet the girls." She went back downstairs to the kitchen, humming a merry tune as she did so.

• Love
"O-ok! Thank you, Ma'm!" She nodded, watching the woman turn and walk away after filling her in on the rest of the days plans. Faye bit her lip gently, turning to face her bags on the bed, and the stack of books she held that were set on the night stand and she clenched her fist. The day was already coming to an end, so going to the Radar base was odd, but maybe since molly was a super star they wouldn't mind. But slowly, the pressure that Faye would face weighed on her, and she shakily started to unpack. I can't go see those girls! They'll eat me alive! Most of them I remember from highschool, and by now I've seen most on the news, they're going to see my pathetic ass trailing behind molly like some lost puppy! I can't even summon my bow, I still have to carry around a stupid wand! ANd she shoved her face into the pillows from her thoughts. She felt easily overwhelmed, the idea of being casted out again made her nauseous.

After a couple hours, Faye stood and helped with dishes, before walking to Molly's car with her and getting in. She held her bag, that she always brought with her every where, and watched as they pulled out the drive way and to the Radar facility. She gripped the straps of the bag and chewed on her lip.

"Listen, I know you're nervous, but these girls were just like you not too long ago. They're just ordinary people with extraordinary abilities. Focus on the former, and you'll fit right in."

The base was a nondescript building in midtown Manhattan. A large police officer stood at the entrance. "Evening, Molly."

"Evening, Mike. Faye, this is Officer Mike Reynolds, our liason with the police department. Mike, this is Faye, my new trainee."

"Heard about that. You made a quite a stir in there, Molly, and not the good kind."

Molly quirked an eyebrow, and went inside. Several girls were in the main room, reading, playing video games, or just talking. As soon as the pair entered, everything stopped. "Training newbies and seeing if they're ready for the big time is our job, Moll. You left us. Stay out of our business."

• Love
"I'm astounded at the fact that you think that this is your turf again..." one girl said, stepping up away from the laptops, her hands on her hips as she stared down molly. She was intimidating, her color patterns all dark purples and black, any one would think she was a villain if she wasn't a Magic Girl. Honestly, Faye could feel the sense that this girl was a manipulative and not the most fair type of hero. The other girls kinda stood, all watching and facing off. "We let you run the SparkleStar blog, and you had your glory, but you dropped it, isn't that enough? Now you gotta steal our clients?"

"If I may interrupt-" Faye cut in, stepping up rather than standing hidden behind Molly and she hugged her bag gently. "I think what Molly doing is very noble and sweet. I don't see any of y'all reaching out to those who don't feel as confident to step up and be the best they can be.." she gulped a little, the dark magic girls eyes stared daggers into the new girl. "You must be the protégée. Do you not realize how insulting it is to take lessons from a former magic girl who blatantly left?" She asked and Faye didn't budge. "No, I don't, and I personally don't think it's insulting at all. You all don't even know my name...so why would it be insutling to some one who doesn't even care?" Faye asked the magic girl and she growled a little.

"Oh, please shut up, Sarah. We formed Radar to help each other. We all knew we could do so much more working together than we ever could alone. And who saved you from that demon? Cindy, who killed that villain who had you paralyzed? Me. I've saved all of your lives at least once- just as you saved mine. We're better than this."

The room was silent as a tomb. Molly decided she wasn't going to get anywhere with this; she needed a new tactic. "Remember what you said to me at Jess' funeral? 'Take all the time you need- we'll be waiting.' Three years is longer than I expected to need, but I'm taking you up on your offer. I'm back. Noncombat duty only. And my first assignment is getting Faye here ready for her Trial. Now, are we going to be civilized, or is this going to turn into a brawl right here? I don't want it to, but I'm damn sure I can take all of you, and we all know it."

• Love
Sarah, the dark magic girl, only stared at the two girls, her jaw clenched as she stared them down and let Molly's words sink into her. For Faye, it was odd to hear them talk back and forth with their real names, on news reports and talk shows they asked to only use their magic girl names, and Faye knew all of them. Sarah, The Nocturnal Mistress. Cindy, The Evergreen Allure, and the rest of the girls in there. Yet, they all wore regular clothes, not in their magic girl form, just being regular people. It made Faye think hard, think about how they were just like her rather than her being nothing like them. Yet the one thing they had that she didn't was the confidence to be a Magic girl. They all stood proud and mighty, even up against the stronger magic girl to ever bless this world.

"I won't protest.." a girl poke up, a pink haired girl that was watching something on her phone. "We should welcome all Magic girls. Former or not, Molly was the one to always greet us. Ever since day one...isn't that right, Sarah?" And Sarah flinched a bit. "You were one of the first magic girls to come to The Radar facility when it was established. Before we had all the programs and big businesses and contracts with the government, when we just helped out of the sale of helping, you came here. And who was the person to meet you, rather than Mike before he was balding?" And the group laughed a little. "Molly. Molly and Jess stood proudly, with welcoming arms and words, there to be models and idols for us Magic girls. They were there." And Sarah's tense body relaxed. "I say we welcome them the same. And welcome to new girl."

Well, that's settled. Thank goodness. Molly let out a deep sigh of relief. "I guess as senior Operative, it falls to me to give Faye her Recruit initiation. I'll work as her handler, unless anyone else objects." Nobody raised any complaints; perhaps they remembered her guiding them through their early days.

"Faye, we ask you to take a great burden upon your shoulders. Being a magical girl does not simply mean smiling and looking pretty. It means keeping your skills honed to a razor's edge. It means answering the call of people in danger, no matter the inconvience to yourself. It means being willing to lay down your life for someone else, anywhere, anytime.

If you can do this, say 'I accept the challenge.' If not, turn around and leave, and none will look poorly upon you for it." At this, Molly gave the other girls a death stare. Her icy greeting still rankled a little bit.

Faye's hands clamped down on her back pack, and she bit her lip nervously. Her stomach twisted in knots a bit as her suprerior spoke of going to the call of duty, as if she was joing the marines or something! But she felt a sense of confidence flood her, and she nodded, looking to Molly. "Yes. I accept this challenge, teacher." She nodded, letting go of her bag and pulling the straps on normally. She stood up straight, looking to the other girls and she pushed her chestnut hair back from her face. From now on all she had was pure confidence and strength, she couldn't hide in the shadows and wait for others to take her spot as apprentice. She had the most notorious Magic girl as her teacher, she couldn't back down now.

After they talked for a bit, they left the social living room, and walked down the white quiet halls. Though the facility was a bit creepy, it had a tranquil sense to it. They walked down the halls, till they reached double doors at the very end. Faye stood, while she watched Molly push them open, and she gawked. The doors led into a huge, iron walled and navy blue patted floor room. The ceiling had to be at least 3 stories high, the room as wide as a football field. It was incredible how huge the room was. She walked out, setting her bag down, and noticed some equipment and parkour blocks and set ups, and looked to Molly. "This must be the training room..?"

"Yeah. We've got a full gym setup, but this is our secret weapon." Molly went over to what looked like an open office, with a high-end computer. Next to it was a square gym mat, 40 feet across. "Welcome to the Gauntlet. This is where we do our combat training. The constructs are hard light holograms, so if you get hit, you'll feel it. In order to become a full member of Radar, you either need to go above and beyond in a live mission, or complete three sims, no rest. Wanna transform and show me what you got?"

Faye sighed shakily, setting her bag down and she pulled her wand out from her bag, the long slender white stick light in her hands. She walked to the center of the quiet room, and suddenly she kicked her shoes off. She blushed a little and didn't look back to Molly. "Sorry...I know it's tideous, but it helps me get comfortable. Like I'm in my backyard practicing..." she nodded. She sighed, looking up at the fluorescent lights, and she closed her eyes, letting her energy warm up. "Start from the toes...and move up-" her hands swiftly went up, an orange light followed her hands. "Through my legs...flowing like water through a river...spread out-" and her hands went to the sides, the orange lights split and followed both hands. "Through my body...to my hands...I feel the energy..the element of destruction...let fire take its course, and let me be its keeper." Suddenly the orange light exploded, her wand moving in circles and suddenly it extended into a pure with long bow.

The explosion caused a tornado of fire to swirl around her, yet it cleared at the spin of her bow, and she stomped her foot. Ashes and fire embers floated down, and a completely different girl seemed to stand before Molly. She had silver white hair, red and orange robes hung gracefully from her body, and her eyes glowed orange. The faint sound of crows echoed in the hall and she turned to Molly. "So...what magic tricks would you want to see?" her voice sounded so much more confident and calm, yet for some reason seemed as if multiple people were speaking at the same time. "It's still me...but for some reason my voice gets all weird.." she giggled,

"I'm impressed, Faye. You've got style. And you'll get more comfortable with the transformation, too. That just takes time." Molly grinned as she started rapidly typing. A series of archery target holograms materialized. "We don't have much time tonight, so I just want a general idea of what you can do. Hit these targets as hard as you can. You can't break them, so feel free to go nuts."

• Love
Faye smiled, watching the hologram targets float out and move in circles around her. They were slow, too slow for Faye but she decided to work with it. Suddenly, she drew up her fire bow so quickly, the fire created stripes of orange light followed. She drew back the string, three arrows formed into strips of flame, and she released them. A loud boom escaped as the string of the bow snapped back, and the flaming arrows whipped through the air. They collided with the targets, huge explosions sparked off them and the floor rumbled. "This is gonna be fun...." she said.

And she went off, jumping over 20 feet into the air, and her wings busted out in a ray of white, and she fly around the room, arrows flying any where and everywhere, explosions back to back as she went wild on the room. This was the first time she was able to use her magic to its fullest potential, the first time she was able to show how strong she really was. And honestly she surprised herself, she never could see how much she could do.

"By the hands of the angels above, bring me destruction!" She called, and thruster her arm up, the bow extended out almost three times more, flames engulfed her arms and her feet, her white hair blowing back at the force. Her eyes flowed orange, and she panted, her magic mana at the peak of its use, her power emitted so much that the pressure could be felt outside the room. Even the magic girls in the lounging room all looked up at Faye's magic and Sarah stood. "What...is that..." and the girls all stood on edge.

Damn! Molly took several seconds to recover from her shock. Even she didn't have this kind of raw power. If Faye could get some experience, be able to use it with finesse, she could be the greatest magical girl ever. "I've never seen anyone as strong as you, Faye. That was... incredible." She turned to her teammates, shaking her head. "And you turned her down for the Radar because...", letting her implied disbelief at their stupidity hang in the air.

"No....this isn't safe." Sarah shook her head, her jaw clenched as she watched Faye through the glass. "This isn't safe at all..." she said, and the girls looked up at her. "What do you mean Sarah?" "I mean is her power isn't normal. She's...she's not natural." And they watched. The muffled explosions were heard from inside the Small room, as they watched Faye have a field day inside the training facility. Faye laughed and walked through the smoke filled room, spinning a bit as her bow spun. The soft noise of crows followed her, and she looked to the window where the other girls were. Sarah stepped forward, standing next to Molly and she shook her head. "Her powers are not natural. They're demonic. I don't know how she obtained those powers, but they aren't from the book. Unless she has no clue that her power is beyond anything we've seen..it's like our powers but amplified." She looked to Molly with a worried look.

Suddenly Faye draw her bow back again, and she called. "From the sun to the moon, grant me heat." And the arrow that formed was a maroon deep arrow, the tail had dark flames come off. She release the arrow, and it seemed to whistle as it traveled so quickly, when it hit the target, the holographic invisible target cracked. The girls all gasped. "She cracked the target!" "No ones ever done that!" And Sarah shook her head. "Come on girls. I do not support that girls presence in this facility."