Mages United: The Fatal Summit

Luna pondered for a bit, before nodding. "considering that these Yata ranges are likely to be more unpredictable, I believe that it would be the ideal choice to select the longer path. The mountains, I believe, are the preferable choice," Luna speaks. "It is less troublesome to fight beasts and bandits than to face... the thing you described."

Lynx nodded his head, his mind lost in thoughts. Suddenly, his eyes opened. "I'm afraid I'd have to agree with the lass and the reavan. I cannot risk your lives, because what happened before... well, was so devastating that no historian dared to record the events that transpired. I'm sorry, love, but we'll have to face that Ouroboros. Besides, isn't it time for us to reveal to one another what we can do? Isn't that thrilling?" Lynx chuckled as he tipped his hat.

Then, he turned to Tray. "We'll be going through towards Aschecia. We'll skin that snake."

The knight nodded his head dutifully, and opened his mouth in reply "Then, King Darain, Sir Rot, and I will stay here. We cannot risk King Darain's life. After all, this is part of your job, ain't it, Lynx?"

The archmage nodded in agreement. "We don't need you fighting there anyway. You'd just be in our way." Lynx nonchalantly replied. He didn't like the tone that the knights were taking with them. These humans were clearly looking down upon them as if they were pigs for slaughter. Lynx needed to show this knight his place.

Lynx turned to the three mages with a smile. "Well... it's time for us to go snake hunting. Remember, the Ouroboros is not your normal serpent. It's actually sentient, and it uses mind-tricks to psychologically maim you. The closer we get to the Ourboros, the greater its grip in our psyche. However... the Ourboros' power has a weakness. It doesn't affect beasts." Lynx's eyes now wandered over to the youngest mage in the group. "This means... Luna, here, has the greatest fighting chance out of all of us. Remember... to the three of us, Naomi, Hellfire, and myself... Whatever happens in there--- it ain't real. Do not believe anything that you might see. Once we're a good depth into the woods, the hallucinations will begin."

Lynx tapped his cane on the dusty earth. "Do not fail us, lass. Transform into your beast mode before you go inside. That way, the hallucinations won't affect you. Hellfire, Naomi... try to provide back up where it is needed. Luna ain't the most experienced out of all of us. I'll provide cover as well."

The archmage spun around, calmly walking towards the depths of the Salome. The hallucinations would begin once they would enter the woods as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hallucinations galore:

A voice echoes in your head... Can you really trust your so called comrades? Do you think what you did in the South can easily be forgiven? They know your sins, Naomi. They know it so well. Lynx? Isn't he a dog for the Council? He'd do anything to be promoted to the Elder Archmage post-- even at the expense of a knife in your back. That reavan? Hah! How many wars were raged in the Shadow Marshes? Do you think the denizens there would so easily let such magical potential pass? No. They will absorb your power. You are a sheep among wolves, Naomi. You are making a grave mistake. Your comrades cannot be trusted. They will betray you, wench. You know how much the Council wants you in chains, or better yet... six feet below the ground.

Lynx appears from the shadows, his warm breath just a few inches behind you. "I wonder how you would feel like squirming under my grasp, love?" The archmage's hands wandered over your figure-- waltzing over areas that he shouldn't be allowed. "Let's see how icy you really are, Naomi..."

A voice echoes in your head. Did you really think that your quest will garner you fame and recognition? No one gives a flying attention as to what you can do! The archmage knows it very well... You are worthless, pathetic, helpless, nameless! You are nothing! Shadows? What a joke. You are no one, October. No one. The cryomage has already brought on her fame, the small female already trained under a prestigious master... but you? What have you ever done? Nothing. Your name is like a candle in the wind-- dying; ready to go out anytime. Expendable. You will die alone in this quest with no one to tell stories about you. The only stories that they will ever tell is how a nameless mage died without any chance for fighting back. You are only a pawn in your mission, wraith. Your comrades won't hesitate to sacrifice you when their necks are on the line. That's how worthless you truly are.

Naomi dropped from the trees, wounded and scarred. Her eyes looked at the reavan, and without a second thought, a ring of ice cascades around the wraith-- forming an icy prison around him. "It's too strong... the snake... You will give us time to escape. Do your job well, filth."

Naomi dashes away-- the great snake charging from the darkness now; it's fangs bared and ready to tear this wraith from one ethereal limb to the other ethereal limb.

~~~~~~~~~Once Luna has transformed~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The great white snake circled in an eternal dance... its movements mimicking the tango of the sun and moon. Then, it heard the disturbance... Trespassers...

The snake stopped its waltz, and raised its head. It was going to feed soon... Oh, so soon. It caught its scent... yes...

The Ourboros... its deadly tail was covered in spikes-- coated in deadly poison which can cause neurological damage in seconds; not to mention, it's huge size that towered over a house. There was a reason why people feared this mystical serpent. This naive mage was about to get a first hand lesson.

Quickly, from the cover of the trees, the snake lashed out at the young female. The snake's huge fangs were bared, its long body almost circling around the lass. The bushes behind Luna began to get agitated... was it merely a distraction? The snake lunged forward, and with its fangs, one wrong move could cause the snake to give this naive mage a parting gift: parts of her here, there, and way over there-- staining the blades of leaves.

Naomi closed her eyes and shook her head. She kept repeating the same phrase in her head. 'Its not real.' She looked at the young mage. "Luna you better hurry" she continued to make her way into the woods. She looked at lynx again and the hallucinations came back. "Get out of my head your not real." She had to be careful otherwise she could end up attacking lynx

October followed Lynx and Naomi silently, a gasp escaping his lips as the voices began. Don't listen to them, he told himself. You're stronger than this, don't listen to them, they're not real. Still, as he forced himself to move further into the forest, the voices got louder, more insistent, and he became unsure which ones were fake and which were real.

"No, no, no, I'm not expendable!" he shouted, seemingly out of nowhere. He shook his head, squeezing his eyes shut tight for a long moment. "I'm not worthless!" He took in a deep breath, and did his best to calm himself down, to force the voices out of his head.

Then, as he opened his eyes once more, he saw Naomi, injured and weak. A second later, icy spikes imprisoned him, and she ran away, leaving him with the word filth ringing in his ears. He could feel the cold emanating from the spikes, feel the rush of air as the Ouroboros came at him.

A shout escaped his lips, and fire and shadows danced around his fingertips as the wraith threw fire at the snake, his violet eyes filled with terror and rage.

Naomi shook of her hallucination and turned round. When she did she saw a pillar of flame coming at her her eyes began to glow as she made an ice wall. She made it just in time but the force of the impact knocked her into a nearby tree.

"A beast, I see? Let us see... against a poisonous serpent... my best bet is..."

From her cloak, Luna conjured one of those crystals. However, this one seemed a little blacker, like onyx, as opposed to the template four colours as shown earlier. She then swayed a little bit of her lower cloak away, revealing some midriff, a pair of hotpants, some boots, and the most important piece of equipment - an odd, silvery belt. She opened the square center of the belt, inserted the crystal in the slot, closed it, then pressed on the belt, causing her to be veiled in dark aura.

Her transformation was triggered. At first, her clothing was dematerialised, then she began to be veiled in a mixture of black fur and black feathers. Next, she was veiled in silvery armour, from head to toe, the helmet resembling an avian head. A wolf-like tail extended, before being covered in armour.

In a matter of split-seconds, the undead mythical beast Valravn - part crow, part wolf and full warrior - appeared before everyone's eyes. It stood at 3 metres and had eerie, red eyes. "You can count on me," it spoke.

~~~

The grand serpent Ouroboros. Its power... its strength... in her current, armoured form, Luna believed that she could make it. Using her form's new sense of smell, she knew that the Ouroboros was ready to strike.

She drew a long blade, before swinging it swiftly, creating a sonicboom that blasted the Ouroboros backwards, creating enough time to sprout shadow-like feathery wings and spring into the air in order to prepare for an aerial strike.

As his fire slammed into Naomi, the hallucination cleared, and October shook his head, trying to clear the images and voices left in his head. Seeing her hit a tree, he ran towards her, muttering, "Gods above..." Once he was at her side, he tried helping her up, saying, "I'm sorry...The hallucinations...gods above, I'm sorry...are you alright?"

He glanced up, watching Luna transform into a mix between a crow and wolf. Clenching his hands into fists as he watched her square up to the Ouroboros, he turned his head to look at Lynx, wondering if he was at all affected by the hallucinations. He jumped to his feet and turned back to the menacing snake, his violet eyes flashing dangerously as he ran forwards, intending to do all he could to help.

Shadows danced from his fingers as he ignited them, sending ribbons of fire towards the Ouroboros, his pale features quickly becoming as placid as they had been before they entered the forest.

Naomi slowly got up and looked at october. "Yeah I'm good." She propped herself against the tree as she watched the other 2 go to fight. She reached into her bag and pulled out a medical tablet. They were great for on the fly use, but the had repercussions. They would knock you out a few hours later. She popped into her mouth and swallowed it. She stood straight up as her Azures began to glow a seal formed In front of her. "Glacial spear." She fired a spear of ice at the snake.

The snake recoiled-- obviously shaken by the lass' attacks. It's spiked tail came out from the bush behind Luna, and would have bifurcated her if it weren't for Hellfire's timely fiery strike. The snake's tail burned for a second before the Ourboros sank it to the ground in order to extinguish it. The snake changed its target, aiming to devour the fire mage, and when it charged, a spear of frost collided against its temple, sending it a good inches back. The great serpent slithered clumsily for a while, not used to fighting multiple opponents at once.

The snake was stunned, confused with the number of mages. Oh, it would kill those three... It would, and it will. The snake began to dance in a circle, now starting to devour its own tail. The snake quickly consumed itself as it vanished out of existence. Then, suddenly, it appeared once more, just above the in-flight Luna. It charged directly overhead, aiming to wipe out the mage in one strike. However, it's tail was nowhere to be seen... for now.

The fabric of space was torn asunder as the serpent's deadly spiked tail came out from beside Hellfire, charging at terrifying speed... if he would dodge it, it had a greater chance of hitting the cryomage. If he didn't dodge it... well...

The sound of rapid footsteps could be heard resounding near the fighters... Accompanied by a breathing so erratic, so worried, and so furious.

The Ourboros was feared for many reasons, but one of its abilities caused it to be labelled as a Class A monster. It's ability to warp itself from reality, and being able to reconstruct itself once more (more like a teleport), allowed the Ouroboros to strike at alarming angles and unexpected areas. Of course, as long as you prevent the snake from eating itself, it cannot erase its existence.

In an attempt to avade the strike, Luna evaded the head attack, spun around and in a matter of seconds, was seen slicing the Ouroboros' neck at mid range using her now-extended blade. She swiftly shifted positions every few seconds in an effort to slash sections of the Ouroboros' skin. What one would never notice was that during this period of swift flurries and events, her belt materialised onto her body at some point.

She proceeded to fly a little higher in an effort to avoid any possible counter-attacks, then swinging her blade in a circular manner to create an all-direction sonicboom to slow down any incoming projectiles that the sly snake has prepared.

A shout escaped his lips as October saw the Ouroboros's tail rushing towards him, and he made a split-second decision. He threw himself out of the way and shouted at Naomi, "Look out!" He summoned his shadows once more, and threw waves of fire at the snake's tail, hoping that he could get her out of harm's way.

Still...October wasn't used to this kind of stress. Prolonged fights weren't his forte, as apparent by the beads of sweat on his brow and the strained expression on his face. He could still go on for a while, he figured as hurled fire at the snake. He would likely be exhausted afterwards, but he would push himself to his limits if need be.

Forcing himself to keep moving so that the Ouroboros wouldn't be able to surprise him, October spun and danced about, looking a strange mix between graceful and frantic. "Careful!" he shouted, hoping that no one got mortally wounded so soon into their journey.

Naomi looked up to see the ouroboros swinging its tail at her. She quickly rolled out of the way. She looked at october and Luna hold it off so I can cast this spell to end this. She ran back about 15 yards and faced the ouroboros. A magic seal formed under her as she began chanting out a spell. You could tell it was getting colder in the area.

Hearing Naomi telling them to hold the Ouroboros off, he nodded and threw himself in front of her in case the snake tried to attack her. He knew that if it phased through the air behind her, he would be useless, but at least now he could protect her.

"Hope you can hurry this up!" he called back to her, not sure how long he and Luna could hold the Ouroboros off. Throwing waves of flames at it, he made sure it kept its attention on him, even though he wasn't sure what he would do if it lunged at him.

Yelling something vulgar in the wraith language, he created a vortex of fire and threw it at the snake, his violet eyes filled with rage.

The serpent hissed in rage as the mages dodged its attacks one after the other. Furthermore, the lot had managed to wound him quite a bit; slashes, burns, and incisions. Suddenly, sheets of frost began to envelop the area, and with it, the snake. The cryomage was literally trying to turn the surroundings into another frozen wasteland. The Ouroboros coiled slowly, trying to erase the frost from its skin. Consequently, the wraith didn't waste much time: a large sphere of flames shot through the trees, igniting the leaves with light. The Ouroboros was blasted backward, writhing on the ground.

Suddenly, a figure dashed forward from the shadows. Lynx, the archmage, unsheathed his sword from the cane, and with one swift movement, he slashed his blade horizontally, propelling a slicing wave of energy which dashed for the serpent. The Ouroboros, with its scales weakened from the beating, was easily cut in half by the slash. A burst of red liquid spurted like a bloody fondue from the corpse.

Splashes of crimson stains landed on Lynx's face which was quite red, and at the same time, his eyes were dead serious. It seemed that Lynx was preoccupied with something...

The archmage turned to his allies before sheathing his sword back into the cane. "Good work, team. Not many can easily hold their ground against an ouroboros. Well done, Hellfire. If it weren't for your flames, that snake's scales would have been strong enough to resist my attack. Young lass, thank you for interrupting the snake's illusions on us; you were magnificent out there. Of course, my dear, Naomi... Your frost made it possible for the snake to be unable to move, although, don't lose consciousness yet. Anyway, I can always carry you." Lynx winked jokingly at the cryomage before turning to the group as a whole. "You've all done wonderfully. You are indeed worthy of the title of a mage."

Suddenly, a hissing voice erupted the group: "You made a great mistake... you... will... die. Your life will end not by the hand of your enemies, but by the hand of your ally. Trust not the archmage... if you... want... to live..." the Ourboros' decapitated head ceased to move, its eyes darkened-- finally.

Lynx looked apathetically at the dead snake as he coughed. "Come on. Let's go back to Darain."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once the group would reach the outside of Salome, they would see Darain and his men-- eating cakes, and drinking tea. Lynx didn't take to this quite kindly...

"So, while we risked out lives in there... you lot are here, stuffing your faces. You disgust me." Lynx clicked his tongue, now eyeing the forest once more. "We move for Aschecia, and we should arrive sometime in the late afternoon."

Darain shrugged his shoulders now entering his carriage with Rot now whipping the horse to budge. Tray eyed Lynx suspiciously with the archmage returning the same malice with his own glare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a few hours into their journey, and already, they met a great danger. What other miseries would these mages go through? What fun!

The serpent was dead seconds after Lynx returned from...wherever he'd been. Still, October didn't have the time to think about that then, and soon, the thought was gone from his mind. Once he no longer was letting his magic flow through him, exhaustion quickly set in, and he had to resist the urge to just lie down. Breathing heavily, he listened to Lynx compliment them all on their skills, and was about to agree that they should return to the king quickly.

Then, the snake's head spoke to them. Scowling, he glanced at Lynx, wondering what it had meant. Of course, the words it had spoken weren't vague, but...what if it wasn't just a vague threat to throw them off course or turn them against each other? What if there was truth in what the snake had said?

Narrowing his eyes some as Lynx brushed it off and said that they should return to the king, he gave a short nod and began walking back down the road, feeling tiredness settling deep in his bones. Still...he could force himself to keep putting one foot forward for as long as need be.

It wasn't long until they were stepping out of the forest to see the king and his knights having tea and cakes. October wasn't any happier about that, but was able to hold his tongue, unlike a certain archmage. Raking his fingers through his hair, October tied it back with a ribbon, his violet eyes still filled with mistrust.

"Yes....We should keep moving..." he said, looking between the king and Lynx as Darain got back into his carriage. Making a face, he turned back towards the forest, a sigh on his lips.

Naomi looked at the ouroboros head as it spoke. She ignored it as its specialty was hallucinations. As she made her way back out of the forest she was slowly starting to lose consciousness. She made it to the edge of the forest when she collapsed.

The serpent burst into blood as Luna landed with her wings retracted. Blood splattered all over the shining armour of her Valravn form. The Ouroboros' last words...

You made a great mistake... you... will... die. Your life will end not by the hand of your enemies, but by the hand of your ally. Trust not the archmage... if you... want... to live...

Was this a hallucination? Impossible, the Ouroboros couldn't affect Valravn.

Maybe it could to some extent.

Maybe.​

Just maybe.​

With that, Lynx complimented the trio on their hard work. The slender knight saluted, "I accept your compliments, sir," before her armour was fully cast off, revealing Luna's natural form once more, veiled in her usual robes and hat. The blood-stained armour dissolved into nothingness, sparkling in light as it vanished.

~~~

They walked towards to King, to find him and his guards... having a little picnic? Luna didn't know how to feel about this. Not even the knights aided them in the fight with the Ouroboros.

She felt that something was up...

Chapter 2
The Council of the Ten
result.png

Lynx's eyes darted to the unconscious Naomi. Damn! He told her not to collapse... yet. Well, he couldn't do anything anyway. The archmage strode over to the cryomage, and encased her in his arms before lifting her up-- bridal carry style. He looked at Naomi's sleeping face, causing a gentle smile to find its way on Lynx's face. His gloved fingers slightly parted some of the cryomage's blonde locks away from her face before he inhaled, and began walking alongside the carriage.

Lynx looked at Hellfire and Luna-- they were both interesting people during that fight. He thought that Hellfire's ability were just mere shadows, but as it turns out, he had more up his sleeves. Luna, as well. She managed to take on the Ouroboros long enough for the serpent to release its illusion for it to focus on Luna. She had done well. She had potential.

Then, the archmage noticed that the party wasn't as energetic as before. Well, they might be a little bit late, but it would be better than them caught weary.

The convoy had now arrived in the middle part of the Salome.

Lynx shouted for Tray to stop the carriage so that they could rest.

"You said that we would keep going." Tray shrugged his shoulders.

"Listen to what I'm saying now. We need to rest. Specifically, my team needs to rest." Lynx replied, rolling his eyes. "Stop the caravan now."

"What makes you think you can order us around, magician?" Tray retorted, gripping the handle of his sword tightly.

"What makes you think that I would hesitate to abandon this quest?" Lynx tilted his head, still carrying the cryomage.

Tray and Rot looked at each other. With a wave, the carriage stopped moving with Darain poking his head out-- asking what happened. The knights explained to the king whilst Lynx set down Naomi on a soft bed of forest grass.

Lynx turned to the two other mages, nodding for them to rest first. "You've been through a lot, my friends. Rest first." Lynx said as he plopped down on the ground, his cane firmly in hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darain strode over to the weary group of mages, coughing his throat. "I'm terribly sorry for that Ouroboros, my dear ones. Who would've known that it would be there, huh? Still, I am glad that you fought and, finally, sliced it perfectly."

Rot threw a golden orb once more, causing a throne to appear from air, just in time for Darain to sit down on its soft pad. "I think this is the perfect opportunity for us to bond, yes? You might have questions as to why this quest is being held, I presume." Darain smiled warmly whilst Tray and Rot stood a few feet behind him.​

October walked without complaint, counting the steps he took in his head. It always took his mind off of the exhaustion in his limbs, and made him able to keep going. Eventually, he took off his jacket, draping it over a shoulder. The south was a good deal warmer than Reaven, and he wasn't used to it.

When Lynx finally said that they could stop, he watched the knights argue with him until finally conceding. Sighing softly, he sat down, brushing back his hair. Setting down his pack in front of him, he dug through it and pulled out a water skin. Taking a long drink, he put it away and replaced it with a long, intricately-carved pipe and a small pouch. Putting the tobacco into the bowl of the pipe, he lit it with a wave of his hand and put the mouthpiece between his lips. Taking a long drag from it, he leaned back, his violet eyes gazing up at the sky.

"If we're staying here long," he said, glancing at Lynx, "I can start a fire." A slight grin crossed his lips for a moment as his gaze flicked to the king as he spoke and sat down. Shrugging, he took a drag from his pipe and said, "I haven't really got any questions..."

The day was like any other, a simple routine. Wake up and brush off the residue from the drunken night before and crawl back to the tavern as soon as it was running again. At least this particular day was with small fortune. His attire was not covered in mud or dirt. He had awoken on a lay bed next to a wench. "May the gods smile upon me this morning." He barely got out before stretching and retrieving his few belongings before leaving.

He had to get back on schedule and from the ache in his head he knew that he was in need of some good ale. He stumbled into a dull tavern with two patrons not including himself sitting at the bar. He found a seat near the end and waved over the barkeep for his first drink of the day. He paid no attention the man to his right who was staring at the banner of a cross shield on his right shoulder. The other patron pointed it out and the two began conversing. "I would not advice that, I have not had my morning ale and it would not be well for the both of you if you were to attack me now." The stranger said before taking a sip from his mug, his blade clinging at his side. The two conspirers looked at each other puzzled and wondered how he was apply to hear them whisper before high tailing it out of the bar.

It must have been something supernatural or fate. As the two were high tailing it out of the tavern a note was tossed up from the scuttle and landed on his lap. He raised it so his dark eyes could read it before he was interrupted.
"Ye also want to apply, bud?" the innkeeper shrugs as he laughs in your face. His wooden eye rolls blankly, followed by his good eye scrutinizing your very soul. "So, scrub, what's your name?"

"The name...Is Ian Silvermane." He wasn't sure why he told the stranger his name, one that would bring suspicion but there was no one left in the tavern. Ian took another sip before the innkeeper bursted out.

"Hah! What a name for a scrub!" the innkeeper grasps his beer-belly in a fit of chuckles. "A'right, a'right. How old are you then? Still, you don't look like a mage to me."

"Thats because you are an innkeeper, you are suppose to keep my cup filled but I have just turned twenty eight this past month." He answered before finishing his cup and asking for another. the barkeep poured him another and spoke again.

"You don't look that young." the innkeeper narrows his vision on you. "Meh. I've seen worse. Anyway, you must be a mage, right? What's your power majingy then?"

Ian was beginning to be annoyed. "What is with all these pestering questions!?" He asked in a fury. "My power did nothing to help anyone but benefit myself in combat or treachery. Ian felt almost embarrassed if there were other people in the empty tavern. He apologized before giving him an explanation about his powers or more of his abilities. Ian could conjure the power of the wind either to make his movements faster or to hear the small whispers even miles away.

"Oooooohhhh, scaryyy." the innkeeper spoke in a tone so sarcastic that he could be the king of sarcasm at any moment. "You think your power is enough to keep you alive? Hah! The last time that Darain asked for an elite squad, none came back alive. Although, Darain still lives-- the mission was accomplished still. But, the reward stayed with Darain since... well, dead people don't need no gold."

Ian took all the information in without saying a word. Maybe death is the only way to atone he thought before taking another deep gulp of ale. "A noble thing to do...to steer into death like that."
"Yeah, yeah. Just talk to my left hand...." the innkeeper extends his left hand to you. "'Cus yer decision ain't RIGHT! HAHAHAHAHAHA!" the burly man rolls on the floor in extreme fits of laughter. After a good minute of laughing, the innkeeper stands up and sighs in glee. "Whatever. Here, take the ad, and go to that hill but you may have missed them. Good luck, scrub."

Ian paid his tab and nodded as he made his way out of the tavern. The sun beamed down at him as if this change of course was ordained by the gods but he did not dwindle in such ideologies. He knew he had to catch up so he paid for a horse and some extra ale to accompany him on his journey with the rest of his gold. He had and began his journey to the meeting hill to find that they did not stay in wait. He sighed and closed his eyes as the wind began to whistle by his ears. He stayed in complete silence before he heard a shriek of a large beast being slain towards the direction of the Salome forest. He kicked his horse as it shot off into a full run before he shouted "Ride like the wind!" It would not take long for him to catch up with the group now.

It was no longer than an hour he had caught up to the group. They had seemed to plant base there for...rest? Ian thought before leaping down from his horse and taking his belongings off. He turned around and gave a polite wave before hitting the butt of the horse to see it run off into the wild. "Looks like I was late." He announced before sitting near them and taking out a small pouch of ale and taking a deep gulp. "Names Ian, want any?" He finished asking before stretching out the pouch to the group.

Last edited by a moderator: