Mage Guilds

Wow... as averse as I am to the damn owlthings, this is getting pretty awesome, actually.

Imagine a giant battle between the entirety of both guilds, but the mages are just the heroes scattered throughout the fight, with the main combatants being the Silver Owl's Owlbominations and some kind of knights serving Morningstar.

The Owl-Servants in the castle are comparable to a Chimpanzee, but with Human intelligence and scary claws.

Fighting them with melee weapons would not be fun.

Especially if you know what a regular chimp can do to a guy.

Name: Apellio Corsan.
Title: The Elemotionalist.
tumblr_mhbabctjUf1rserhwo1_1280.jpg
(Pretty much the best I could find. Imagine him less...toned, more feminine.)
Personality:
Most will likely have to be found through interaction. The man is unpredictable but very much recognisable. Emotions fluttering through him like wind in the trees, some making little more than a rustling noise whilst others whistling, few snapping and whipping. But with Apellio it is not the sound of the wind, but the disturbance of the tree itself. Emotions are a tool to Apellio, having been gifted with the ability to eschew the materials usually required by a Warlock by using his mere feelings, his emotions. Unfortunately this 'gift' has left him scarred with severe mood swings, be them minuscule, allowing for a flickering flame or a few rumbling rocks, or should they be crippling, deeply depressed to the point water oozes from his skin, considerably cruel, fingers frosted with claws of ice, or perhaps...purely passionate, eyes aflame, heat in his heart and...other places...likely gathering as that flame flurries towards you. Some say he may have an effect on the emotions of the people around him when an emotion is particularly intense.

However, one feeling lingers within Apellio, an emotion his (quite literally) nightmare of a familiar allowed him to keep, madness. The boy is barking up a quite inexistent tree. A mirage, perhaps a dream only he can see, touch and, well, taste. He's licked it on far too many occasions. See, his familiar keeps him in a rather dream like state, as if he'd never woken up, forcing him to believe he is merely trapped within a dream. This leaves him assuming he can do anything he wishes, conjuring a cockiness unrivalled by most and, well, he hasn't been proven wrong yet. After all, he isn't dead.

But yes, the rest must be discovered as Apellio is a conundrum, a confusing vortex of feeling and emotion. Perhaps eventually he may be tamed, brought back to reality or, at the very least, proven wrong.

Class: Warlock.
Spells:
Apellio's spells are dependant on his current emotion. Certain alchemical ingredients can be used to manipulate his emotion or cast a basic form of a spell without mood change.

Stream of tears (Sadness/loneliness│Teal): Apellio may call forth saltwater, guiding it through the air as a stream. The sadder he is, the larger the torrent. This can be manipulated into a large bubble of water, potentially capable of lifting someone from the ground. Ingredient: Crushed oyster/pearl. Pearls conjure a fully-sized torrent.

Claws of frost (Cruel/Mischevious/Evil│Grey): Apellio's hands become cold, covering in a layer of frost. They can either be simply cold or form into tough claws based on the intensity of his emotion. With these claws he may raise them to summon a claw of ice from the ground, melting the ice from one hand in the process. His hands will eventually regain their frost over time if the hatred is held. Ingredient: Claws of a polar bear.

Flame of passion (Lust/passion/love│Maroon): Apellio can conjure a controllable ball of flame from the size of a fluttering amber to the size of his head. He may split the balls into two orbs which are half the size of the original. Ingredient: A demon's kiss.

Retreating Zephyr (Fear/cowardice│White): Apellio sends forth a gust of wind which is more intense the more afraid he is. He may turn this into a swirl of encapsulating air similar to a small tornado, usually only able to slam a door shut, turn others around or throw a few ornaments off a shelf. Ingredient: Harpy feathers.

Strike of frustration (Anger/hatred/frustration│Amber): Apellio launches a bolt of lightning from his hand, depending on the intensity of the emotion he can fire them more rapidly or increase it's range. Ingredient: Thundercloud.

Pillars of trust (Loyalty/admiration/trust/determination/, etc.│Brown): Apellio's forearm becomes enveloped in rock similar to gauntlets, he can use them to lift rock from the earth nearby. He can cause the rock to become anything from a shield of pebbles when barely influenced to a ring of thick granite when particularly emotional. It can be used offensively similarly to claws of frost, simply blunt. Ingredient: Animated rock. (The rock of golems/earth elementals etc.)

Calming constriction (Calm/relaxed│Forest green): Apellio causes flowered vines to raise from the earth, without plantation it simply forms it from the ground (e.g. sand in deserts.) which will wrap around up to five people. He may wrap one person in thick vines, or he may substitute the vine's strength to constrict multiple people. Over time the beings will become calm, reducing their hostility, the vines are never tough enough to deal much damage however and are often easily destroyed. Ingredient: Dryad petals.

Blinding joy (Happiness/humoured│Maize yellow): Apellio can radiate light when happy, allowing him to either light a dim path or blind/dazzle the people surrounding him depending on the intensity of his joy, often leading to unfortunately leading to eye-stingingly bad punchlines at times. Ingredient: Concentrated sunlight.

Apellio has a few spells up his sleeve he can cast as long as he has the required component, an excess from when Timore devours a spell or person. A dream cannot be entirely devoured and excess dream residue is left behind, especially if Timore is messy. The warlock has learnt how to harness this 'waste' product into illusionary spells. Often only he can interact with the spells due to him being trapped in an eternal dream, and whilst others can see it, they cannot touch it. This can be from a distant noise, images of himself or platforms for him to walk upon. Unfortunately they are also very fragile, unable to carry Apellio for long, a few mere seconds holding his weight and they would collapse.

Apellio has two rituals he can do without requiring a particular emotion, however these will cause him to change to a specific emotion.

Nightmarish madness: Apellio must first draw the ritual onto the ground and stand in the middle holding a candle. Once lit the ritual will take effect, causing Apellio to laugh uncontrollably, spreading it to others around him in a wide radius and causing hysterical fits in most who hear it. After ten seconds of laughter everyone who laughed, including Apellio, will collapse and fall into a deep, nightmare filled slumber, awaking only after at least thirty minutes, unable to be awoken prior to that time is up.

Rite of insanity: Similarly to Nightmarish madness, Apellio must stand in the middle of a ritual circle holding a candle, however it must be the same colour as his hair at the moment the ritual is cast. Once lit, both the candle and his hair will turn purple, the candle instantly burning up, letting wax drip over Apellio's hands, whilst causing Apellio to go insane. Whilst insane, Apellio will be granted with a random number of his emotional spells to cast at random strengths, but will likely not use them rationally.

Misc: Not entirely apt in combat without his magic, give him a sword and he'll swing it, just don't expect masterful swordsmanship.
Class origin: His familiar, a living nightmare constructed of an oily liquid akin to shadow. It's form often changes, especially depending on Apellio's mood. Apellio gained his abilities through a nightmare to which he agreed the cost for the abilities it provided. Once it was done, Apellio was forced to believe he never woke up.
Preffered Method of Casting: Hands.
Equipment: Belt pouch containing several components to his spells, along with typical ritual equipment like chalk and candles.
Faction: Silver owl.

This character is based off a randomness aspect and could be considered overpowered if I were in complete control of his emotions. Granted, I will roleplay to his current emotion and attempt to make mood swings as random as possible, but would be willing to include dice rolls to determine emotion. He will also start out with one use of each ingredient (oyster for Stream of Tears.) the rest will have to be gathered via roleplay.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the wizard! And no name for the familiar? Come on, how disrespectful is that to the entity that currently owns you ass to some extent?

Bonjour.

Assuming this is still open, would there be room for a Blood Mage Wizard? Hemomancy is best mancy.
KzUTHM2.gif

Dear gosh.
I'm gonna have to put a good amount of effort into stuff today, huh?~

I'm gonna finish up Z ASAP.~

Bonjour.

Assuming this is still open, would there be room for a Blood Mage Wizard? Hemomancy is best mancy.
KzUTHM2.gif
We're accepting, and nothing's wrong with hemomancy, so, yeah, I don't see why not.

Last edited:
If you do do hemomancy, don't have it be manipulating the physical characteristics of blood, as shown in that gif. Make that shit some crazy blood magic rituals and shit like that. Mostly because in order to have nearly enough blood to do anything useful with you'd have to bleed someone dead, and at that point why not just use water?

EDIT: I would just like to make it clear, I'm just giving my suggestions based on what I think is cool and within the realms of reason.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the wizard! And no name for the familiar? Come on, how disrespectful is that to the entity that currently owns you ass to some extent?
I'm making an entire character sheet for the familiar, give me time :P

If you do do hemomancy, don't have it be manipulating the physical characteristics of blood, as shown in that gif. Make that shit some crazy blood magic rituals and shit like that. Mostly because in order to have nearly enough blood to do anything useful with you'd have to bleed someone dead, and at that point why not just use water?
I was thinking they'd probably be something like a blood bender from Avatar.

If it's powerful enough, that's a fucking insane skill. They could explode people with their own blood, then use that blood as a weapon and so on.

A battlefield would also be a wonderful place for this mage to operate, given all the freshly dead bodies just laying around.

I was thinking they'd probably be something like a blood bender from Avatar.

If it's powerful enough, that's a fucking insane skill. They could explode people with their own blood, then use that blood as a weapon and so on.

A battlefield would also be a wonderful place for this mage to operate, given all the freshly dead bodies just laying around.
Hmmm, didn't think about using the blood still in living people... but did think about on a battlefield. I guess taking that into consideration, that would be borderline OP....I like it! Join Morningstar!!! JOOOOIIIN USS!!!

Lol. What are rosters at? Do I still need to transfer Selene?

Name: Arlin. (Mother abandoned her last name and thus, her son has none.)
Title: The Witch's son.
the_witch__s_son_by_auroaronkitten-d4e599x.jpg

Always adored this image so I'm gunna use it. Hair would be longer however due to my uncontrollable addiction to long-haired characters.

Personality: The son of a witch will naturally have his quirks, but for one surrounded by the rather insane incantations of such a woman, he's quite a down to earth person. Being pushed into an unsettling lifestyle can often leave scars, but being raised in it lets you adapt. It's almost all he knows, he does not know much of the world where most are considered 'normal'.

A life of preparing his mother's spell components or helping with rituals gave him quite the head-start into learning the arts of magic, the young wizard having learnt much of alchemy and ritual magic, leading him into the path of either a pseudo-warlock, an alchemist or an arcanist. Which path he picks is very much up to his experience now he has left his home and the shadow of his mother, the Arcane Siren.

Now he has left, he is looking for guidance. He was quite apt at shadowing someone after all, a helping hand to those usually more powerful than him whilst picking up a few tricks along the way. What he isn't looking for is for his newly found independence to be stripped, he definitely wishes for a mentor, but a mentor that will simply guide him rather than command.

Class: Wizard: Corrupt Arcane bloodline.

Spells:
Enhance component: Arlin can pour his witch-based heritage into a component, not conjuring a spell from it but instead enhancing whatever it is used for.

Arcane grip: Minor telekinesis, able to lift anything under 10 pounds of weight for a small amount of time. Can lift lighter objects for longer.

Magic missile: The standard 'babby's first spell'. Capable of conjuring a single blast of arcane magic that homes in on his target. Often uses it against the darkness.

Identify: Can discover the properties and location of nearby magical or alchemical items, people or spells.

Arcane shield: Conjurs a round shield of magic that can either deflect a large amount of magic damage or a small amount of physical damage.

Malleable Glyph: Likely Arlin's most and least powerful spell depending on the situation. The young wizard may concentrate on casting a ritual circle onto any surface. He himself cannot activate it, however he can grant another caster the ability to use it for either a ritual, or simply to cast a normal spell from it, often changing it in some way, either by casting it from the glyph rather than themselves, using it to time a spell for later or simply using the ritual circle to enhance the spell's power. It can also be used to cast a spell with limited uses once their uses have expired. Arlin's spells cannot make use of the glyph.

Arcanist's song: Arlin is gifted with a rather luscious singing voice, and as such may enhance it. Whilst singing he can use it to either enhance the magical ability of those who hear it, interrupt another spellcaster's concentration, reduce the effect of spells around him, or lull a single person to sleep. The song does have other minor effects and can be either spread thinly, giving a smaller effect, or concentrated on one person, giving it a far stronger effect.
Misc: Owns a good amount of alchemical and ritual-based knowledge, knowing the shapes and requirements of many rituals along with the components required for different spells and potions. He isn't studious, however, and as such does not know them by memory, he has learnt them through experience and treats it like a skill, rather than a subject of intellect, similar to cooking.

Class origin: His ancestry, mainly his mother.
Preferred Method of Casting: Potions/hands/voice/rituals.
Equipment: An array of components and a wand gifted by his mother.
Faction: None, yet. Wishes to join The Morningstar Guild of Arcane Scholarship.

Go ahead and keep her with the Owls. I don't want to force things, and I'm sure we'll be able to balance the RP no matter who's on what team.
Lol. What are rosters at? Do I still need to transfer Selene?

Name:
Davos Rythem
Title:
The Bleeding Heart
Appearance:
If you noticed anything about the rather shy and unsociable young man, it would be his deathly pale skin and often grim and sad looking face. Davos often suffers from anemia, resulting in his haggard appearance. The young man stands about five feet ten inches tall and weighs one hundred and thirty. He could definitely serve to gain some weight. Davos has a short cropping of curly hair that refuses to cooperate, regardless of any gel or combing combination. His eyes are colored a dark crimson. A major feature on the man are the twin sets of bandages wrapped around his hands. Under the bandages are a set of deep and wide cuts surrounded by magic scripture to preserve the wounds. While they do not bleed freely, Davos uses them often for his magical experiments and for general magic capabilities.
Personality:
Davos is... well, he's just not a social person. He was raised from a young age at a sea-side castle after his parents discovered the strange lineage of blood magic had been passed down through him. The servants there avoided him so the only sort of father figure or mentor was the castle's magi, who raised Davos and taught him the arts of magic and how to control his blood. As a result, Davos is a bookworm who usually keeps to himself. Sure, he can talk to people, but he's the sort that is awkward at conversations. Regardless of his social skills, Davos is naturally altruistic. The main reason he even began researching and learning more about his hemomancy is to learn how to help others. Regeneration, curing diseases, stopping bleeding. That sort of thing.
Class:
Davos would be a Hemomancer.
Spells:
Blood magic is Davos' specialty. He can naturally manipulate and control blood in its forms, from assembling shapes to even burning it up to produce pure energy. Basic combat spells include the ability to create blood weapons, send spikes of blood flying through the air, or slightly manipulating an opponents movements to muck up their attacks and forms. Davos himself isn't much of a fighter, as he has spent his life learning how to heal, not hurt. Davos does know how to sword fight though, he often spends time doing so to keep in shape and to break up the studying. Other uses of blood magic include drawing large magical circles out of it or using up blood to enhance normal spells. Complex things such as taking complete control over a human body or manipulating a corpse would take a lot of effort and time and magical ingredients for him to succeed. Not that he would even try. Necromancy is bad.

As Davos has spent most of his live reading and learning, he has quite a bit of knowledge of regular magic. You could call him both a Wizard and a Sorcerer. He has no regular affinity with any of the elements, seeking rather to be a jack of all trades. His knowledge is a bit limited, but he has at least fifteen years of it. Davos can 'burn' his own blood to produce energy and enhance spells. A regular fireball might double in size were he to use a bit of blood.
Misc:
Davos has one friend he holds dearly to his heart. A raven familiar he has dubbed 'Oberyn' who Davos met a long time ago in the garden of his home. Oberyn is quite an intelligent animal and acts as an assistant, protector, and companion for him. Davos loves ravens and crows, even if most people despise them for bringing signs of death and being generally superstitious creatures.
Class origin:
Davos would be a Wizard due to his bloodline of hemomancy though he has spent years of study learning other sources of magic.
Preffered Method of Casting:
Twin hand wounds adorned with magical circles allow Davos to easily manipulate his blood and use magic.
Equipment:
Davos doesn't really carry around much, save for a few tomes or a handful of chalk when he doesn't want to use his blood. He usually keeps a bit of food for Oberyn, but other than that, not much.
Faction:
Davos has applied to the Morningstar College.

I'm not going too far to say he could join Morningstar, right? Or is his sort of magic too /evil/ for that place?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jade
I don't know. I would say that blood magic, while a bit fucked up is still be okay, as long as you didn't conjure up a demon or go crazy. Also, is he a wizard or a Sorcerer? As the classes are less about what magic they use, and more about how they got said magic. So is it in his lineage/bloodline, or did he simply study it?

Go ahead and keep her with the Owls. I don't want to force things, and I'm sure we'll be able to balance the RP no matter who's on what team.
Yup, the more Owls there are, the more powerful I can play my character to make up the difference in numbers! Bwahahahahahaha!

Alright. Selene, The Wild Mage, is part of the Owls. Part of her particular ability is Shape Shifting. However, she must concentrate and she is vulnerable during the Shift itself.

I don't know. I would say that blood magic, while a bit fucked up is still be okay, as long as you didn't conjure up a demon or go crazy. Also, is he a wizard or a Sorcerer? As the classes are less about what magic they use, and more about how they got said magic. So is it in his lineage/bloodline, or did he simply study it?
Both.

Can he not be both? I mean, it wouldn't make sense for a Wizard to just stop studying and go do whatever wizards do when they're not studying. Raiding dungeons, I suppose.

So, he is a wizard? He's got that magic in his blood?

The differences in the classes is where they get their magic from, so yes it seems to matter, at least for the lore aspect if not anything else. So yeah, I think a wizard can learn sorcery, but Wizard magic is a bit special in that is comes from the users heritage, not just years of study.