Mafia Reboot!

D

Daz

I've been thinking on rebooting the mafia posting game, and the removal of the Board Games section has finally kicked me up the butt to do so. For those of you who don't know how to play Mafia there is a full explanation at the bottom of this post, but I'll quickly summarise to give you the gist of the game. You are secretly assigned the role of either town member or mafia by the GM, with there being around a 4:1 town to mafia ratio. The aim of the mafia members is to kill all of the town members, the aim of the town members is to kill all the mafia. In the night phase the mafia secretly choose to kill someone. In the day phase all living players discuss who they think the mafia is, then vote to kill one person. The game ends when either side reach their win condition.

If you are interested in playing please reply to this thread! I start setting up a game once I have an idea of how many people are interested.

Before the game begins I will post a role list. Each role has an alignment (town/mafia/neutral) which will tie to their win condition. Mafia members win if all town members are killed. Town members win if all mafia members are killed. Neutral roles have special win conditions which will be explained in their description. Some roles will have special abilities, which will be explained in their description. For example, the medic is a town member who can heal one player each night, preventing the targeted player from being killed. When the game begins I randomly assign which role each person has using a RNG. I will then PM each player to let them know what their role is. I also typically remind everyone in this thread not to discuss their roles with each other, as that would be considered cheating. Once that is done, the first night phase can begin.

The night phase is done via PM. I'll PM each person with a night role asking how/if they would like to use their night role. Once I have replies from everyone with a night role (or a particular deadline is met if someone isn't replying) then the night actions will resolve and I'll enact any results. For example if person X is killed, then at the end of the night I will inform X that they have been killed, and add/remove them from any PM chats as necessary. Most PMs are between the player and myself only, however some players have the ability to communicate with others at night; if this is the case, it will be stated in their role description.

After each night phase comes the day phase, which is done in a public thread. Every day phase will begin with me announcing who (if anyone) died the previous night and when players are allowed to start voting on who to lynch. After the announcement all living players are able to begin discussion of what roles they believe other players to be, who they want to lynch, and anything else that may be relevant to the game. I may jump in with rule clarifications if I believe someone is confused about the rules. At the previously stated time/date I will announce that voting may begin and when it will end. In order to vote you must publicly announce in the day phase thread that you are voting to lynch X player. I usually rate players voting posts to confirm I have seen them, and make a post updating the tally of how many votes each player has received. People are allowed to cancel or change their vote, but you have to post again to do this. This is because I have a policy of no post editing in the day phase thread. If someone is voted on by the majority of players (majority = (Total Living Players/2)+1, rounded down when total players is odd) at the end of the voting period then that player will be lynched. I will write a post informing everyone that X player has been lynched, announce X player's faction, and make any adjustments to PMs as necessary. If nobody has the majority of votes by the end of the voting period then I will announce that nobody has been lynched. When either the post that X has been lynched or nobody is being lynched is made, I also inform everyone that it is now the night phase and that they cannot post in the day phase again until I make the next day phase announcement. You can take a look at a past day phase thread to see what it looks like here.

Any queries people have during the game can be asked in this thread, in the day phase thread (if it is currently the day phase), or via PM. Living players are not allowed to discuss the current game "out of character" anywhere. For example, you can't make a post saying you think X is scummy in this thread - you can only do that within the "in character" day phase thread. This is to prevent any meta information being spread. Dead players are allowed to discuss the current game in a special dead player chat, but that is the only place they may do so. This is so dead players can still have fun discussing their thoughts on the status of the game without influencing the game.

The game ends when either the town or mafia meet their win condition. I announce the result of the game in a final post in the day phase thread as soon as either win condition occurs. I usually also reveal what everyone's role was in the same post. After the game is over everyone can discuss their thoughts on the game in this thread, and we can start planning the next game.

Note: Sometimes we may play with variant rules. These are just the base rules.

I am ready to continue my curse of being a normal townie. @Daz

• Thank You
Reactions: Daz